Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Breathing Fire

• Start Topic

Matti saying he wanted to cut off his clients leg and throw it at Nunez was the funniest shit ever.

Glad Vaughn used his head and gave them his specialty to tattoo.

Sausage needs to quit whining. Win a Flash Challenge and you can assign the skulls.

• Love 2

This should have been a no-winner episode. All of the tattoos were flawed in some way or another, but of course, the drama of Cleen winning the skull picks next ep cannot be denied.

And a sausage-fest reigns again (pun not intended). I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm not. It's a shame, given that Megan is a competent tattooer and her errors were no more or less than Sausage's, just a different kind. I won't say her elimination wasn't deserved, but her undeserved prior appearances in the bottom, and Nunez's odd gunning for her, seem to have led to a loss of confidence.

Hoping Jime, Jesse, James, or Anthony wins it.

• Love 2

This episode fell pretty short to me, I've been looking forward to James's return for weeks, and yet when it finally comes time for James to throw down a sick japanese tattoo, he inks a giant green blob on someone's arm.........what? If you look at his portfolio of Japanese tattoos, theres 100+ that are better than what he did.

Nunez finally got the kill shot on MJ. I'll say it right now, if the tattoos were judged blindly, Sausage would have gone home, but because Nunez knows Sausage is one of the best in the competition, he threw him a bone. It's the same bone that St Marq, Matti, and Sarah were all given during their first screw up...apparently all of the veterans get one. 

I also have a major complaint with the canvases. Sausage's canvas was cast for one reason and one reason only: to send someone home. 6 of the canvases were perfect, Sausage's was totally whack and Jime's had a large scar. Normally I'm a fan of varying canvases, because it increases the importance of winning the flash challenges and getting the skull pick. But cmon--dark skin, difficult placement, old age, that's one thing. But a canvas that wants a tattoo on his ribs and has lost 200+ pounds? That's an absolute cheap shot. 

Hoping for better from James going forward. Christian, Sausage, Cleen, and Anthony are the odds on favorites to win at this point. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they make the final 4. 

• Love 3

Sausage was the one that should've been sent home. His tattoo was less legible than Megan Jean's and it was ugly. Jime's tattoo was also worse since it was just a giant yellow head. Jime's tattoo makes me think of a super deformed version of Dojo from Xiaolin Chronicles.

As an aside, I'm sick of Sausage's hypocrisy and incessant whining. He had no problem purposefully giving people terrible clients whenever he had the Skull Pick and then laughing like a ninny about it.

Another reason I want Sausage gone is so that he and Matti can stop obsessing over each other. Matti weirded out by him saying he wanted to stay and compete Sausage, as if he's the only one that mattered. And the previews for the next episode started with him talking about competing against Sausage. Makes one wonder if Matti has a picture of Sausage above his bed at home.

Edited by MuMuGuy
  • Love 2

This should have been a no-winner episode. All of the tattoos were flawed in some way or another, but of course, the drama of Cleen winning the skull picks next ep cannot be denied.

And a sausage-fest reigns again (pun not intended). I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm not. It's a shame, given that Megan is a competent tattooer and her errors were no more or less than Sausage's, just a different kind. I won't say her elimination wasn't deserved, but her undeserved prior appearances in the bottom, and Nunez's odd gunning for her, seem to have led to a loss of confidence.

I honestly don't think Megan Jean deserved to be eliminated. Sausage's tattoo was less legible than Megan Jean's and Jime's was just a giant yellow head that didn't conform to the challenge. Both deserved to be eliminated more than Megan Jean. I agree with you that all of the tattoos in this episode are garbage.

I also have a major complaint with the canvases. Sausage's canvas was cast for one reason and one reason only: to send someone home. 6 of the canvases were perfect, Sausage's was totally whack and Jime's had a large scar. Normally I'm a fan of varying canvases, because it increases the importance of winning the flash challenges and getting the skull pick. But cmon--dark skin, difficult placement, old age, that's one thing. But a canvas that wants a tattoo on his ribs and has lost 200+ pounds? That's an absolute cheap shot. 

I keep bringing it up, but this is one of the many reasons I preferred Best Ink over Ink Master. There is at least one problematic client in every episode of this show. After several years of Ink Master, one would think the producers would be better at screening clients. It's obvious that they have plants as clients just to turn this into a cheap high school drama club production with tattoos.

• Love 6

Another reason I want Sausage gone is so that he and Matti can stop obsessing over each other. Matti weirded out by him saying he wanted to stay and compete Sausage, as if he's the only one that mattered. And the previews for the next episode started with him talking about competing against Sausage. Makes one wonder if Matti has a picture of Sausage above his bed at home.

The Matti/Sausage dynamic has been weird to me this entire season. If you go back and watch season 4, 90% of the animosity towards sausage is coming from Scott Marshall. Matti spent most of the season just shaking his head in agreement while Scott was the one throwing all of the punches (well actually Kyle Dunbar was throwing the punches, but you get the point lol). This makes me think that either there was more of a rivalry between Sausage and Matti in season 4 than we were shown, or the drama between them now is largely fabricated and set up. I'm inclined to think the latter, as the show wasn't nearly so dramatic and cliche in seasons 1-4 as it is now, IMO. 

Edited by Inkmaster0345
  • Love 3

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. There goes my pick.

Freaking Chris. I flip flop between which judge I dislike more, Chris or Oliver, but this week Chris out-did himself.

Reason why I love Dave #5324: When he reminded Chris that they weren't judging on a dragon tattoo checklist, but legibility. LOL.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 4

I'm  not upset about Megan Jean going home based upon her tattoo this week. I'm upset about her going because they've kept shitty veterans around, downgraded her work, and then sent her packing. No more women, and that sucks. She deserved to last longer than most of these dudes.

On the other hand, I'm fine with her going because of her weird obsession with Cleen. His question about her coming onto him was uncomfortable. She was right about dudes with big egos, but she was mooning over one of the biggest egos there. Just odd.

Otherwise, this was a pretty boring, useless episode. Anthony made it through and wore a tank, which saved it.

• Love 4

I loved whoever was rolling his eyes at Chris Nunez for being pissed off at everyone for sucking before the tattooing even started.  Nunez is such a douche-bag.  And calling Megan Jean a "high gloss" tattooer and acting like it was tough to send her home?  WTF?  He's been sniping at her over really excellent tattoos for weeks.  She wouldn't have gone home today--and shouldn't--except she's been living in the bottom because Nunez couldn't keep from calling her down for imaginary or minuscule errors even when it meant ignoring huge problems in other folks' work to do it.  

This whole season concept still sucks.  They should have just done an All-Star season rather than forcing really talented newbies like Megan Jean to compete against people whose asses the judges can't detach their lips from even when they aggressively shit the bed.

And yes, Sausage needs to stop whining.  I did not find him annoying on his season, and I still prefer the whining version of annoying to the excess testosterone version of annoying, but dude... state your issues once and move on.  The skin sucked.  We get it.  There's no need to try to argue your point over and over again, particularly not with the loudmouth half-brains that disproportionately populate this show, both as contestants and as judges.  You can't win.  Let it go.

• Love 7

I'm  not upset about Megan Jean going home based upon her tattoo this week. I'm upset about her going because they've kept shitty veterans around, downgraded her work, and then sent her packing. No more women, and that sucks. She deserved to last longer than most of these dudes.

On the other hand, I'm fine with her going because of her weird obsession with Cleen. His question about her coming onto him was uncomfortable. She was right about dudes with big egos, but she was mooning over one of the biggest egos there. Just odd.

Otherwise, this was a pretty boring, useless episode. Anthony made it through and wore a tank, which saved it.

Until this week, I thought MJ and Cleen were dating.  Suddenly it was all weird and awkward.  WTF was going on there?  And why was that part of Ink Master.  

Nunez was gunning for her for weeks because she questioned him rather than worshiping him.  Can we get Nunez some counseling?  He has major issues with women.  

Snausages is annoying.  The whining. My ears.  His voice gets so high I think there are dogs howling off in the distance.  I will say his canvas had more issues than a 200 lb weight loss.  The guy was strange.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 4

Nunez is such a dick.  You'd think he breeds Japanese dragons in his backyard--beard's wrong, ears are wrong, tail's wrong, body doesn't taper off like that.  It's a legibility challenge, asshole, not whether the competitors can conform to your personal anatomical criteria for a fictional creature.

And for a "legibility" challenge, Megan Jean wasn't even in the bottom half--I couldn't even locate the head on some of those figures until the camera zeroed in on it.  The human canvas jury had no negative criticism for MJ and the judges nitpicking the water was bullshit.    Shafted again, and this time it was fatal.

• Love 11
What the hell was Nunez wearing at the flash challenge? Looked like he was wearing a bathing suit, beach t-shirt, and flip flops. Did he just come in from catching some waves in the Hudson?

He was probably just riding his perfect magical imaginary Japanese dragon through some water.

• Love 7

The Rose in the Flash Challenge was pretty impressive... the leaves were two different shades of green. They were only given basic green pushpins, they didn't show it clearly but they must have put in either blue or black ones sporadically to give the impression of a darker shade on half of each leaf.

• Love 6

The Rose in the Flash Challenge was pretty impressive... the leaves were two different shades of green. They were only given basic green pushpins, they didn't show it clearly but they must have put in either blue or black ones sporadically to give the impression of a darker shade on half of each leaf.

Good eye; I hadn't noticed that.  Surprised the judges didn't mention it.  Oh wait. . .

• Love 2

Just some fun little observations (the "standings", if you will)

Remaining Artists: Cleen, Sausage, James, Jesse, Jime, Anthony, Christian, Matti. 

Flash Challenge Wins:

Cleen: 3

Sausage: 1

James: 0

Jesse: 0

Jime: 0

Anthony: 1

Christian 3

Matti: 1

Elimination Wins:

Jime: 0 

Christian: 1

Matti: 0

"Up for elimination" appearances

Jime: 3

Christian: 0

Matti:1

Notes: Cleen leads all current artists in Elimination wins (3) and is tied for flash challenge wins (3). Jime and Cleen have the most "up for elimination" appearances of the remaining artists (3). Christian is one of the original competitors but has never been up for elimination. MJ is the only eliminated artist who won an elimination challenge (2). None of the past 5 introduced artists have won an elimination challenge, and they only combine for one win total (Matti-flash challenge). 

Edited by Inkmaster0345
  • Love 1

I agree that it was great. I think it should have won this challenge.

• Love 1

I think I can see some of Jime's frustration. Every week they tell him to do what he's good at, doesn't matter the challenge. Then he leans more toward new school and gets in trouble for it. The critiques are confusing as hell.

Edited by SunshineSquid

I loved whoever was rolling his eyes at Chris Nunez for being pissed off at everyone for sucking before the tattooing even started.  Nunez is such a douche-bag.  And calling Megan Jean a "high gloss" tattooer and acting like it was tough to send her home?  WTF?  He's been sniping at her over really excellent tattoos for weeks.  She wouldn't have gone home today--and shouldn't--except she's been living in the bottom because Nunez couldn't keep from calling her down for imaginary or minuscule errors even when it meant ignoring huge problems in other folks' work to do it.  

I think Nunez went back to his dressing room and "knocked one out" after this episode to the thought that he'd finally gotten her out. 

Nunez finally got the kill shot on MJ. I'll say it right now, if the tattoos were judged blindly, Sausage would have gone home, but because Nunez knows Sausage is one of the best in the competition, he threw him a bone.

I couldn't agree more with you.

You could see the wheels turning in Nunez's little pea brain. He wanted the word sausage to come out, but after a very slight hesitation and miniscule shrug of          the shoulders, he managed to squeak out Megan Jean's name.

He is one mo fo'ing mysogynistic asshole. It's a real shame that they can't get rid of Nunez and put a female judge in his place. They did it on another tattoo show of which the name escapes me (it was the one with the big guy with big, black 50's style hair and the blonde, gorgeous inked pin up type lady) and they had a hell of a lot more females stay towards the end than Ink master ever has.

• Love 2

Best Ink was a much better show, IMO. Whether it had in-house drama or not--and maybe it did, I have no idea because it wasn't highlighted upon to take up valuable tattoo time. In turn, we got to see much more of the tattooing process, which is exactly what I want on this style of reality show. If I want to observe crazy folks and infighting (and I am not above admitting that I sometimes do!), I have Real Housewives for that!

• Love 3

The best thing about this show is Dave.  I love Dave.

I had family visiting while this was on - - did all three judges vote for Megan?   I guess we're never going to get a female Ink Master.  

I'm still rooting for Anthony.  His work is solid, he listens to his clients/canvases and he seems like a soft spoken decent guy.  

Preach it.

Nunez is such a dick.  You'd think he breeds Japanese dragons in his backyard-

Ha!  I'm still laughing.

Matti saying he wanted to cut off his clients leg and throw it at Nunez was the funniest shit ever.

Agreed!

I flip flop between which judge I dislike more, Chris or Oliver, but this week Chris out-did himself.

Nunez is by far the more annoying of the two and the one who seems to have little fits of PMS.

Sausage needs to quit whining.  Matti needs to let go of the obsession.  Nunez and Peck need to quit favoring Cleen.  Anthony for the win!  I love Dave.  I miss Josh.

• Love 2

I had family visiting while this was on - - did all three judges vote for Megan?

I'm still rooting for Anthony. His work is solid, he listens to his clients/canvases and he seems like a soft spoken decent guy.

I would have to watch again, but I seem to remember only Oliver and Chris voted, both for Megan Jean. Dave's vote wasn't stated because it didn't matter.

As for Anthony, I may have to look him up when I get back to Tucson. The tattoo I have always wanted is a series of portraits, and faces seem to be his thing. Wonder if his prices are on the rise after the show.

EDIT: After re-watching, Dave voted for MJ to stay. He was the dissenter. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
Correct a wrong answer
On 4/26/2016 at 9:33 PM, azshadowwalker said:

I had family visiting while this was on - - did all three judges vote for Megan?

I'm still rooting for Anthony. His work is solid, he listens to his clients/canvases and he seems like a soft spoken decent guy.

I would have to watch again, but I seem to remember only Oliver and Chris voted, both for Megan Jean. Dave's vote wasn't stated because it didn't matter.

As for Anthony, I may have to look him up when I get back to Tucson. The tattoo I have always wanted is a series of portraits, and faces seem to be his thing. Wonder if his prices are on the rise after the show.

EDIT: After re-watching, Dave voted for MJ to stay. He was the dissenter. 

Dave is clearly the only one with the continuity of sense on the judge's panel. 

I live in southern California but would totally fly or drive to Tucson to get a tattoo from Anthony.  I don't have any tattoos but he makes me want one.

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 1