Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Jeff Day / S05.E16: Helmet

Jess invents a male alter ego, "Jeff Day", in order to buy a new car from a sexist salesman, but her plan backfires when both Nick and Sam arrive at the dealership pretending to be him. Meanwhile, Schmidt and Cece panic when Winston decides to bring his new prankster girlfriend, Rhonda as his plus one to their wedding.

Despite being happy with Sam, Jess confesses to Cece that she had a sex dream about Nick. And Schmidt attempts to help Winston land Furguson a cat audition when he finds out Aly's boyfriend is a talent agent for pets.

Nick figuring out that the shoulder less Dutch boy outside Dave was referring to was actually Jess was funny.

"The one where I'm in a muffin test kitchen and Hilary Clinton tells me my muffins suck." Is the most Jessica Day dream.

"Oh god am I unhappy. I'm casting cats." - What commercial/things has that guy been in because I feel like I've seen him everywhere but I can't put my finger on it.

Sam's two dads was a nice touch.

Once again, everything happening with Winston, Cece and Schmidt was great and the show got both Sonequa and Kal Penn which was a nice treat. Cece and Schmidt's faces, when they were asking about what constituted a prank, was the hardest I laughed all night. That was genius work. It kind of sucks that Winston is married now; I don't think that's the best plot out there, but I did like seeing him get a win in the next episode when Allie's boyfriend was intimidated and jealous. Yeah!

Sam is awful and while I'm sure they're not going to keep him around forever, I'm really looking forward to when he leaves. Not that Nick was much better, but considering that Sam gets the girl and is coming into Nick's home, I think the onus is on him to not be quite so horribly petty. That neither Nick of Sam listened to Jess when she was trying to buy her used car pissed me off so much. Nick went way of script and Sam went out of his way to enter the situation to show that he was better than Nick. Neither actually cared about Jess and that's really crappy behavior from a friend or boyfriend. Also, the football helmet thing sucked, but I hated the way Sam reacted. If it had been Winston's dead dad's helmet, Jess would have felt just as strongly about not destroying it but I bet Sam would have been far more understanding. It was an item of personal value and I get why Jess didn't want to be the one to decide to break it. At least at the end Nick made the gesture and showed that he valued Jess and her relationship more than a memento.

I just hate Sam, I hate that he's back, I hate that he hooked up with Jess after she did actually stalk him, I hate that even though he's punched Nick he's super petty about Nick and I hate that we're doing this stupid Nick/Jess/Sam thing again. Either put Nick and Jess back together or don't, but recycling the plot from a few seasons ago just isn't all that exciting.

• Love 4

Perhaps it's because I'm a crazy cat lady, but I loved everything to do with Furguson and Patches the cat. "Patches is walking like a human" made me laugh until I cried.

Right there with you, sister. I rewound and laughed at "Patches is a trash cat!" several times.
  • Love 2

I must not have been paying close enough attention last week because I thought at the end of 300 Feet they decided they were bad for each other and shouldn't get back together.  I was hoping "Jess has a sex dream about Nick" would lead to them getting back together.  I guess it still could.

Ferguson walking straight into a garbage bin, fantastic. What a sight gag.

Jess's "Itotally get that, as much as anyone with two healthy, living parents can" line was among the best humor that's come out of her character since coming back. It wasn't an adorkable set up, or sight gag. It was her reacting to the situation in a Jess way of honesty wriggling its way into her empathy.

• Love 1

Winston's pranking plot took a great running joke and went totally, absurdly overboard with it. Which... maybe was the point? Maybe THAT was the joke?

There was some line where Winston points out "sarcasm" and "Sharkcasm". I'm paraphrasing, but Sharkcasm is something like "I don't love eating people." He said it in a shark voice, and I choked on my drink. Had to pause for at least a full minute. So funny! 

• Love 1

There was some line where Winston points out "sarcasm" and "Sharkcasm". I'm paraphrasing, but Sharkcasm is something like "I don't love eating people." He said it in a shark voice, and I choked on my drink. Had to pause for at least a full minute. So funny!

I loved that part so much. Seriously, anything Winston says or does it love at this point. I love where they've gone with his character.

• Love 6

I love love love both David Walton and Jake Johnston. If I was Jess, I'd be trying to talk them into a threesome. So yummy! There just aren't many shows with that many attractive guys anymore. Also, New Girl is consistently funny. It's about the only sitcom I watch anymore.

New Girl is one of exactly two sitcoms I watch, with the other being the VASTLY superior Brooklyn Nine-Nine. New Girl still entertains me enough, though. I feel like Jess is the weakest character with the worst storylines right now, but I enjoy everyone else.

There was a plot a long time ago where Winston was shown to have zero perspective with pranks, to the point that it was dangerous. So his delight in the equally horrible pranks of his current girlfriend/wife made sense. But still, I didn't really enjoy that part of the episode. I got what they were doing, but it just didn't work for me. Having him being technically married, now, I think is not all that interesting, either.

However, I liked other stuff, and I like his character overall, so I'm not too cranky about it.

I love that "meeting the parents" was not accompanied by any foreshadowing whatsoever that they'd be two dads. It was just there.

• Love 3
On 4/20/2016 at 8:28 AM, Iboatedhere said:

"Oh god am I unhappy. I'm casting cats." - What commercial/things has that guy been in because I feel like I've seen him everywhere but I can't put my finger on it.

I know him as the dad from Dog With a Blog on Disney, which I've seen more times than I care to admit thanks to my 7 year old. 

Add me to the list of people who loved Winston's sharkasm joke. Prime example of the type of random humor this show is so good at.