Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Dead Beat / S02.E19: Salivation Army

It seems to me that if you took the zombie trope at face value, you could easily imagine the zombies being white Wall Street corporate flunkies and cubicle drones. Then the zombie apocalypse is when they descend from their skyscrapers and head for Harlem. There instead of fixating on brains, these neuters fixate on eating the sex organs. You know, metaphorically getting a life. Really, corporate culture=zombiism is so obvious that it should have been done til it's a cliche. 

But it's not, is it? So, yeah, you've got to sign me up with the posters who tend to thing most zombies are basically symbols of fears of the mob (usually defined as dark-skinned, but not always.) But maybe I'm prejudiced, since I would inevitably be one of the zombies, not the noble heroes.

All of this is great food for thought, though I've always seen zombies as a representation that we are our own worst enemies. The Walking Dead, in particular, has emphasized this by making it clear that other humans are far more dangerous than the walkers. If you read Mira Grant's NewsFlesh books, she even puts a spin on the classic metaphor by adding a social media element to it (her science is also fantastic). The Girl With All The Gifts is also an excellent recent take on the genre, and it's set in Great Britain and written by a British author; it's also a good blend of what I like about iZombie (the humanization of the zombies) and what I like about Grant's work (awesome science and a look at a zombie-infest world years down the road). So there are definitely different ways of interpreting the whole "why zombies?" question.

That said, I love iZombie because of its light-hearted take on the genre, which is something I haven't really seen before. I'm really enjoying that Major's zombification has made him much more fun and less angsty- though that may be down to whichever brain he's currently on. Being a zombie seems to suit him, which is ironic considering how badly he didn't want to be one last season.

I don't think we're in for much of a love triangle. Peyton had every reason to hug Blaine, when he'd just saved her from Boss's goons. But she still seems pretty revulsed by him, what with all the murdering of teenagers and whatnot, and it seems like certain aspects of his prior personality are creeping out, such as the sarcastic comment to Ravi about using him as a human shield. That doesn't rule out Ravi getting unreasonably jealous, anyway, but I think Peyton is smarter than to fall for Blaine again.

Like most people here, I feel sorry for Liv, losing yet another hot boyfriend. I'm sure they are pushing her toward Major, now that they don't have to worry about infection any longer, though if Natalie turns back up she might put in a wrinkle.

I'm looking forward to season three. I've been recommending this show to people, since it actually values its PoC characters and keeps them alive and vital members of the team. Funny how the zombie shows are the only ones on network tv managing to do that. I loved the dig at Sleepy Hollow- how prescient, lol.

• Love 5

So is S3 going to look at how much trust we place our collective security in someone else's hands? The lying liars we think we know ( Mr. Boss) or the straight-forward bastards who don't really guarantee anything (Vivian and Fillmore-Graves)? Or Is it going to be about balancing our safety between ourselves and the cautiously trusted forces we choose to trust in?

S1: Personal responsibility and How it affects those we meet.

S2: Growing a community even with those you barely trust as they have value too (sometimes).

S3: How tricky questions of safety are depending on various variables?

• Love 2

Got to see these episodes tonight, and so awesome!!  Wow.  I'm sorry for the loss of Drake, but as abrupt as it was he got to go out a good guy to the end.  I will say that I appreciate that the show doesn't just kill off nameless red shirts.  Drake, Gilda, Vaughn (good riddance), and Chief were all good characters.  Dale was too, but at least she survived.

I'm so thrilled by the execution of Liv's reveal to Clive and by his reactions.  i feel like in these two episodes Clive finally graduated to the full character and partner he should be.  His subdued pain with Dale, his fear of the actual zombies, and his unwavering resolution to go out on his own terms if it came to that were great character moments.  I thought it was appropriate for him to freak out a little, and this was just the right amount.  In the end he's a very practical guy and his goal is doing the best he can to protect people.

Ravi continues to be in the top two for me.  When he hit that guy in the head with the fire extinguisher I cheered.  And then after the fight, the shaking and the shock were well played.  I hope he gets more screen time next season.

I don't think (or I hope) the show is not setting up a love triangle with Peyton, Blaine and Ravi, because that would be ridiculous.  Peyton was overwhelmed in that moment; she knows Blaine's baseline personality now, and she's in a relationship with Ravi who is a great partner.  Blaine will now be back to being the de facto brain supplier for Seattle in the absence of Don E, and he is no less a jerk for having lost the memory of his more heinous acts.  I was glad to see more of the real Blaine come to the forefront here, with the jokes about the stickiest sticky wickets and using Ravi as a shield.  He also very pointedly tricked Ravi by making him leave the night vision goggles in the container and taking them himself later.  I think he is still out for himself, and that means that he can't support a zombie invasion that might oust him from his position or prevent him from spending his shady plot money.

I do think this is going to end up being drug dealers vs. zombies next season, and I like Mr. Boss as a character.  He and Blaine may yet be business partners.

Liv took Major as the Chaos Killer as little too well, but with Vaughn at the heart of it I can understand the reaction.

So the Seattle area can sustain a little bit more than 300 zombies, that seems to me a dangerous low number.

Zaku, I’m both impressed and creeped out that you did the math.

Really, corporate culture=zombiism is so obvious that it should have been done til it's a cliche.

Shaun of the Dead covered mindless workers as zombies so well there was no need for a follow up.  Though Office Space didn't have actual zombies it did the office drone theme proud.

ETA: I totally missed that the name of the new company was Fillmore Graves.  Thank you all!

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 1

I thought that Blaine saying if he died it would be in a blaze of glory and then saying he was considering using Ravi as a human shield was a tiny glimmer that maybe Blaine was regaining some of his former zombie character/personality back (although not his specific memories).

• Love 1

I thought the time between brains was much less than a month—didn't Major go south within a few days of incarceration? Though apparently one brain is good for multiple servings, so maybe it can last a month if rationed responsibly rather than gulped down all at once.

I was also thinking to myself that those holes in the visitation glass were big enough that if Liv had brought her own brain smoothie and then faked kissing Major through the glass she could have safely fed him baby bird-style. If Alicia Silverstone had gotten the lead role this wouldn't have been a problem!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

I kind of got the impression that Blaine's human shield comment was less about intent and more about keeping Ravi in the car because he was so nervous, he would be worthless in a firefight. And likely to get shot. Or get Peyton shot. Or accidentally shoot Peyton himself.

• Love 5

I thought the time between brains was much less than a month—didn't Major go south within a few days of incarceration? Though apparently one brain is good for multiple servings, so maybe it can last a month if rationed responsibly rather than gulped down all at once.

Yeah, it's definitely more frequently than once a month.  Blaine's business charges by the month for their zombie food service, but it seemed pretty clear last season that his customers were receiving brain meals more frequently than just once a month.  At minimum, I'm betting they need brains at least once a week, but it may be as frequently as every few days.  Both Major and Liv got desperately hungry fairly quickly after being cut off from their brain access in the finale, and Liv had the same problem when she spent a weekend jail in the episode that aired right before Christmas.  

The show didn't say. But apparently Max Rager realized there was a connection to Tainted Utopium + Max Rager = Zombies and acquired the utopium from the boat party massacre. Given the amount of money and power MR has, let's say that they got it off the cops when the evidence was no longer needed. (Or had someone sneak some out even when it was).

We learned last season that the boat party on Lake Washington was actually organized by Max Rager, so it's possible that they owned the boat the party was held on?  Maybe that gave them access to the boat and its contents in the aftermath of the massacre even though it was in police custody.  

The case vs. Major for the Meat Cute Massacre was being handled by Clive. Clive makes his case entirely on the word of the arms dealer who said he sold Major weapons that were of the exact same type as were used in the MCM, and apparently some forensics that ID'ed Major's piss. I'm sure Clive can find all sorts of ways to scuttle his own case.

Dale mentioned that "someone" (read: Clive) had told Major's attorney that some of the evidence had been tampered with, so I assume that's how Clive bombed his own case.  

So Viv and the Fillmore Graves troop are going to have to corner the Utopium market now that they have Max Rager, right? Is this going to lead to a gang war with Mr. Boss? And what are they going to do when they find out that they need the "special cut" that only Preach knew how to make?

Why would Viv and Fillmore Graves need to corner the Utopium market?  They don't need it to create more zombies as zombi-ism is easily spread from zombie to person, and I'm sure they've already figured out that  Utopium itself doesn't cause zombi-ism.  The fact that there weren't more zombie outbreaks between the Boat Party Massacre and the party at Max Rager HQ would have assured them of that fact.  I could see them being interested in the tainted batch of Utopium for research purposes, but not in the Utopium trade in general.  

Finally caught this. 

Well, that happened. After two season of ignoring the threat of a zombie apocalypse, in favor of comedy stylings, to suddenly go back to the boat party instead, then drag in zombie soldiers? I'm afraid all I could think was, the new Seattle should be called Promise City and the mayor should be Jordan Collier (played by billy Campbell of course.) 

I'm not clear on why Rita was charging or why Major waited to kill her. I'm not clear on why they all wanted to keep it a secret either. Of course, their decision was completely irrelevant since the zombie overlords showed up to take matters in their own hands. 

I really don't think that group of scientists knew about Zombies. A lot of people chase drugs with red bull (or "max rager"). The scientist guy even said he didn't have the clearance for the basement ( a few episodes ago when Liv tried to go down there). The found the utopium and thought it was people's secret stash and they just wanted to party with it. At least that was my understanding. 

• Love 3

I was also thinking to myself that those holes in the visitation glass were big enough that if Liv had brought her own brain smoothie and then faked kissing Major through the glass she could have safely fed him baby bird-style. If Alicia Silverstone had gotten the lead role this wouldn't have been a problem!

Major had also only had one serving of brains, period, between reverting and being arrested. That, plus being under an immense amount of stress, could easily explain why he went downhill so fast while others can hang on a bit better for longer. Once or twice a week seems to be about what the zombies need, but if Major was already underfed AND in a constant state of adrenaline rush, that would cause him to disintegrate pretty quickly. Even a non-zombie would look like crap in Major's situation. 

They're just lucky he reverted BEFORE being arrested, because it would have been far, far worse if he reverted during the arrest. 

I really don't think that group of scientists knew about Zombies. A lot of people chase drugs with red bull (or "max rager"). The scientist guy even said he didn't have the clearance for the basement ( a few episodes ago when Liv tried to go down there). The found the utopium and thought it was people's secret stash and they just wanted to party with it. At least that was my understanding. 

I think you might be confusing scientists, because the ones with the drugs clearly knew about the zombies.  In the scene where the guy first shows off the Utopium, he says "First stock options, now free drugs!  Who knew this evil underground lair gig would have actual perks?" to which his colleague replied "that's the stuff they pulled from the pockets of the party boat zombies.  Put it back!"  Also this first scene clearly happens in the basement, because right after this conversation Vaughn walks in and says he needed a moment alone with Rita, who was in a cell just off the room the scientists were in.

That said, I do agree that they took the Utopium because they wanted to party, not because they wanted to become zombies.  I don't think they took the threat seriously.

• Love 4

Why would Viv and Fillmore Graves need to corner the Utopium market?  They don't need it to create more zombies as zombi-ism is easily spread from zombie to person, and I'm sure they've already figured out that  Utopium itself doesn't cause zombi-ism. 

True enough. I guess I was assuming the reason she bought Max Rager was because she wanted to use it as an inroads to mass-creation of zombies, which would then entail having the Utopium to mix with it and spread it amongst the populace. It could be that they wanted to keep unchecked zombie creation beyond their control by keeping Max Rager off the market.

I thought she wanted Max Rager so she could ensure any accidental creation of zombies stopped. They can turn with the scratch (although I still think that's a stupidly-easy way to turn people) so they'd want to ensure a product that could be used to make more was restricted. Also, Max Rager has been conducting zombie research and I imagine that research would be valuable.

It wasn't clear but I'm just speculating her motive would be to restrict the ingestion of Super Max to zombies.

Edited to add: as someone else said, Max Rager didn't have anything to do with the production of Utopium. Their role in the zombie outbreak was the energy drink

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 3

It's possible they were also worried about the nature and distribution of any zombie cure MaxRager's scientists might have come up with. By purchasing the company, they ensure that they're not going to be on the receiving end of an unwilling cure.

Now I really hope Enrico Colantoni's cop is bent. Who better to use to get the tainted utopium off the streets for our new zombie overlords than a cop working with Mr. Boss?

Which means we get to keep him...

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Ah! You can't leave me like that, iZombie!

On the one hand, we lost Drake, who was so pretty. On the other hand, we kept most of the rest of our core cast (Liv, Major, Ravi, Peyton, Blaine).

On the one hand, we lost Vaughan and Rita/Gilda. I think she could have been useful still but it looks like Viv and the mercenaries will be our new Big Bad. The zombie homeland could get into weird political territory but I'm intrigued at this new way of building up the zombie mythology. Now it looks like we'll have someone trying to make zombies a thing instead of trying to take them out like Vaughan. I'm also curious how long Viv and the mercenaries were zombies.

Pretty sure they left the door open for Don E. to be alive but not sure I care. Similarly bored with Mr. Boss. Without Drake, that lost a lot of steam. Also, with the way Blaine charged into the office. I would have no problem with it if Mr. Boss was the victim at the beginning of the next episode.

I found Dale and Clive artificial and a bit annoying. You can only pull the stealing coffee/food gag so many times. I'm not broken up about them.

Count me in on also not carrying about a Blaine/Peytie/Ravi love triangle. Still interested in Blaine though. I hope they don't give him his memories back immediately the way they backtracked on Major being a zombie. I'm interested in a Blaine who doesn't have his memories but who knows all the awful things he did before (thanks, Ravi!) but now has a choice of how to behave. I don't expect him to be a boy scout but to occupy a middle ground that's worth exploring and could be useful to our heroes.

Ken Marino!  Between this and Agent Carter, I'm all for him appearing on all of my shows, because he can make them all better!  Him being a defense attorney hopefully means the door is open for his character to pop back up. 

Yes, yes, yes! I didn't even think of that. More Ken Marino! I've loved him since Reaper and it makes me very happy that he keeps popping up in great projects.

I also really liked how all the unfrozen zombies recognized Major and were starting to put it together that he'd kidnapped them. I hope that gets picked up next season - it felt like it got dropped a little quickly.

This too! Though I think the show was really swimming in murky waters this episode. At times it was like a video game and they were taking out zombies left and right... new zombies in Full On Zombie Mode but not Romero mode so with brains they should have reverted to "normal." And then Liz agonized over having to kill Drake. And then the rescued zombies seemed about to get offended about Major taking them from their lives. Are they people with a disease or monsters? I feel like my sympathies are being jerked around.

• Love 1