Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Year of the Monkey

Note: Syfy has made the season premiere available on their website so if you enter this thread before the episode airs on April 18th, you may encounter spoilers!

While on the run from the Army of the 12 Monkeys, Cole and Ramse repair their broken friendship. Meanwhile in 2043, Railly and Jones navigate an uncertain future as Deacon and the Twelve control the Temporal Facility.

Not sure I buy Cole pulling a gun on Cassie. Her at him? Sure, but at this point, it's pretty clear how he feels about her and how much she matters to him. I think him stepping between Jennifer and Cassie would have made a lot more sense.

But I do understand that our erstwhile heroes pulling guns at each other is a powerful visual and yet another obstacle in their star-crossed lovers saga, so I'll let it slide.

Ramse coming over to Cole's side was predictable - there would be no other way for him to develop as a character. But I wasn't impressed with the way it happened. I still struggle to care about Ramse sometimes, especially after everything he's done for the Army of the 12 Monkeys. He was forgiven way too easily, even if I do understand Cole's decision - he couldn't lose Ramse after losing Cassie.

I think that Jennifer wanting to release the virus was out of the blue. I get it, she's nuts, but there should be some sort of logic to her madness. And even at the end of the previous season, she's started to feel like more of a plot device than a real character. I still enjoy the hell out of her because the actress brings it her all, but I want to understand her better. I liked her way more in the first part of season one.

I enjoyed Cassie's plot more than Cole's. She and Deacon have an enjoyable dynamic - he's much more interesting and likable around her. Frankly, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they've hooked up during those 8 months (which I really wanted to see, dammit!) And I definitely want more of Cassie and Jones because they are awesome, period.

The Messengers were dispatched way too easily. I'm disappointed. And still zero answers, although, I guess, we now know for sure that history can be changed? Or did we know it already? 

Overall, more of a setup episode, and I expect for the show to soon get to its best part, the Cassie/Cole relationship.

• Love 5

I ended up watching this last night in an attempt to erase the bitterness of the Sleepy Hollow finale, and I was reminded how much I love this show.

Hi, Mr. Bates. Bye, Mr. Bates. As a long-suffering Downton watcher, it was rather fun to see Brendan Coyle meet a quick (and violent) end.

I enjoyed Cassie's plot more than Cole's. She and Deacon have an enjoyable dynamic - he's much more interesting and likable around her. Frankly, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they've hooked up during those 8 months (which I really wanted to see, dammit!)

With the twisty way this show approached timelines, I will almost guarantee we'll get to see Cassie's time with Deacon and Jones and what they were doing.

Not sure I buy Cole pulling a gun on Cassie.

I never for a moment believed he'd actually shoot her, but him drawing the gun didn't seem OOC. I think it was reflex more than anything (and also maybe his belief that it was the fastest way to make her drop hers... but lived-in-the-future Cassie is clearly made of sterner stuff than the Cassie Cole last saw).

• Love 4
With the twisty way this show approached timelines, I will almost guarantee we'll get to see Cassie's time with Deacon and Jones and what they were doing.

I hope so as well. The role reversal between Cole and her is an awesome thing, but I want to see more of how she came to this. I hope this could be Cassie's season the way s1 was Cole's.

• Love 1
The Messengers were dispatched way too easily. I'm disappointed. And still zero answers, although, I guess, we now know for sure that history can be changed? Or did we know it already? 

If I got that right... and that's no way a given with this show... some of the Messengers made it through and are now messing with history. So this season will be dedicated to hunting them down?

I think it was only that woman? Although I may be misremembering.

It was more than one. When Cassie and Deacon are storming through the building and are locked out of the room, Cassie can hear the people being sent. 

(edited)

I, too, am still cranky about the Sleepy Hollow finale but finally having time to watch the 12 Monkeys season premiere definitely helped! I have missed this show and I'm so glad it's finally back.

ITA that Cole would pull a gun on Cassie to get her to back down but that it would take a hell of a lot for him to actually shoot her (and I agree that the real reason is that the show wanted that shot of Cole and Cassie pointing guns at each other with the New York skyline in the background). Cassie, on the other hand, has hardened from her eight months in 2043. Yes, she shot Ramse at the end of S1 but that was nothing compared to stabbing one of the Blue Men Group in the neck and watching him die (and who knows what else we will see her do during her time in 2043?). Her attitude now is similar to what Cole's was when he was initially sent back and he was focused on killing Leland Goines in order to stop the virus. Meanwhile, Cassie was originally the one hellbent on not killing people because human life is precious and now we have Cole protecting Jennifer. I know we're only one episode into the season, but I am enjoying how they are changing the dynamics of many of the relationships.

Heh, on a shallow note, I wonder how long Cassie was in 2016 before she tracked Jennifer to the rooftop. She obviously had enough time to to find herself a cute outfit.

I like that Jennifer didn't want to release the virus and wanted the speed dating guy and Cole to shoot her, but hopefully we will find out why she feels obligated to do it. Did they threaten her? Guilt trip her? Pay her? Bribe her in some other way?

I am excited to see Cassie and Jones working together. It will be great to see two smart driven women putting their brains together. I loved when Jones half splintered the first Blue Man person. Ha! Don't screw with Jones and don't touch her machine!

I knew it was Mr. Bates as soon as I heard his voice. When he betrayed Ramse, I was up in arms so I was totally fine with Cole shooting him. See ya, you traitorous coward!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

This ep felt all over the place to me but it went by so fast - nothing dragged

& the end came all too quickly. I really enjoyed it. I would have liked to have

seen them pick up where they left off last year rather than have Ramse and

Cole start off in Budapest. How did they get there? When did they get there?

Loved Cassie & Katerina together. They make a strong team.

I'm not quite buying that Ramse is going to "help" Cole. I can't see him easily

forgetting his son and his purpose for going back in time in the first place.

Although I couldn't really buy his instand love for his son either when that

happened.

This ep seemed action packed and more jumpy than last season. I hope

there will be quieter, character driven moments along the way. I can only

take so much violence.

And yeah, at least 6 of those monk guys made it out of there. Very

disappointed to see DiNozzo's old love interests as one of the monkish

people. I loathed her in NCIS & was hoping I'd never come across this

actress again.

Also disappointing to see Mr. Bates dispatched so quickly. I really would

have enjoyed seeing Anna Bates being dispatched with him though. :)

• Love 3

I'm confused about the blue men.  They've been referred to both as messengers and as the monkeys.  Are these the same things?  Are the blue people the army of the 12 monkeys?  Or are they messengers?   Did we learn this in the episode?

• Love 2
And yeah, at least 6 of those monk guys made it out of there. Very

disappointed to see DiNozzo's old love interests as one of the monkish

people. I loathed her in NCIS & was hoping I'd never come across this

actress again.

He! At least you're supposed to hate her here whilst on NCIS I think we were supposed to feel for Jeanne. I don't mind the actress though (the writing wasn't her fault) and from the preview snippets I think she'll make a great foe.

Only recently discovered they already had this up On Demand.

It really feels like it's been forever since the first season, so I really appreciate the brief voiceover/recap at the beginning.  Actually one of the better ones; I like how it was told in a way, where instead of using the character names, they used descriptions like "the hero" and "the brother."  Gave it a bit of a storybook quality to it.

Either way, glad to finally have the show back!  I thought it was a bit slow at first, but I think it picked up in the second half, and I enjoyed the cliffhanger, even though I really know neither one will shoot the other.  But I'm mainly glad that they already found a way to get Cole and Cassie back together, because I still think they're the strongest aspect of the show.  Even in that brief scene, I still thought Aaron Stanford and Amanda Schull brought it together at that moment.  Can't wait to see more of this season.

As much as I enjoy Kirk Acevedo, I still find it odd that he is already friendlier with Cole, after all the shit he did to him last season.  I still like the general idea of it, but I just wish they had more time to pull of Ramse's turnaround.

I hope we keep checking on Cassie's time in 2043/2044, but I enjoyed her interactions with both Jones and Deacon.  And I'm glad to see Marcus is still hanging around too!  But it sounded like at least six of the hooded folks got through before they just the device down, so I guess it will be up Cole and Cassie to figure out what their game is.

Oh, Jennifer.  You would make speed dating even more awkward.  Can't wait see what that nutso brings to the table.  Emily Hampshire is having a lot of fun in this role.

Welcome back, 12 Monkeys!

• Love 5

I like that Jennifer didn't want to release the virus and wanted the speed dating guy and Cole to shoot her, but hopefully we will find out why she feels obligated to do it. Did they threaten her? Guilt trip her? Pay her? Bribe her in some other way?

My guess is the Red Forest drug.

I'm not quite buying that Ramse is going to "help" Cole. I can't see him easily forgetting his son and his purpose for going back in time in the first place.

I'm guessing when he was working with the Monkey faction that he picked up on their belief system that you can't change time/future, so he hopes his son will be born anyway.

Welcome back, show. Even better than I hoped, although a little too visually dark on my iPad Mini.

I really appreciated the wealth of humor, like the speed dating.

It really feels like it's been forever since the first season, so I really appreciate the brief voiceover/recap at the beginning. Actually one of the better ones; ...

Welcome back, 12 Monkeys!

Yes, very helpful without using up too much time. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
It will be great to see two smart driven women putting their brains together. I loved when Jones half splintered the first Blue Man person. Ha! Don't screw with Jones and don't touch her machine!

When she said "So, who's next?" I laughed so hard. I've missed you, Jones.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 8
When she said "So, who's next?" I laughed so hard. I've missed you, Jones.

Ha, I totally loved that too. She knew she was going to get in trouble for exploding that person but she was like screw it, let's up the ante and mock the monkey messengers while we're at it!

• Love 1

Shapeshifter, from what I remember, no that isn't the original White Rabbit.

Grace Slick has a much deeper, ballsier voice but this was a decent cover.

I think it sounded like the band I used to hear play it locally (Head East in the 70s in Champaign/Urbana Illinois)--hence my confusion.

I just saw it on demand. It was ok but I hope something happens that changes the dynamic. How long can we be, the virus will be released in 2015, no 2016, no fall of 2016 -- fake out. Cassie and Cole are the heart of this show so how good of a show could there be without them? Though Jones rules. I agree with what was said above I don't quite buy Ramse suddenly having a change of heart but, then again, I didn't buy him last year going off on that tangent so maybe it all works out. 

• Love 2

Just caught it on demand. Kudos for SyFy having no commercials. I'm glad for the quick recap. I still don't have the timeline grasped. I'm heading to that thread next. Loved the opening song. Really well done for a cover band. I'm glad Cassie and Cole are separated. I hope they only meet sporadically this season and Cassie and Jones are together. Jennifer speed dating was worth the price of admission! I hope her character develops. A good opener.

Is it bad that I am scheduling my whole day around being available to watch this tonight?

I wish SciFi were marathoning season 1 today just to help people remember all the moving parts.   They used to do that before season premiers.

• Love 3

Season one was being marathoned on Hulu. Which is great if you have

access to Hulu, but really sucks if you don't. I don't. It felt like a slap in

the face to the fans who can't watch via other outlets.

• Love 1

I'll have to rewatch the episode, but I was not a fan of the recapping at the beginning of this. Did it bug anybody else?  Reminded me of when BBC added a little recap to the beginning of each episode from Matt Smith's second season of Doctor Who.

I hope it was just for the premiere and not something we'll have to hear every episode.

• Love 1

I didn't like the cheesy narrative recap either or the equally cheesy recap scenes mashed with the red forest imagery. It was probably only there to remind people what happened in season one, which I admit was really complicated. It just could have been written better...

I'm still convinced that Cassie got brainwashed by that weird tea and red forest weirdness. How else did she get so comfortable with killing people when she was so anti-homicide? She sure adapted to the post-plague future fast-- quickly allying with Deacon, who btw was totally flirting with her, killing by neck stabbing, blowing up the blue fanatics, saving Jones, and taking back the time machine... while recovering from a bullet wound. She's turned awesomely kick-ass very fast.

Glad to see Ramse and Cole working together instead of being archenemies. The actors have an easy chemistry as brothers. I never bought that Ramse would turn against Cole for a son he doesn't know well and condemned to grow up in a bleak future. It's more believable that Ramse would resent Cole for abandoning him for Cassie, a stranger he considers a ghost who died long ago.

I loved the absolute delight on Jennifer's face when Cassie showed up and started blowing the bad guys away.

• Love 2

Glad to see Ramse and Cole working together instead of being archenemies. The actors have an easy chemistry as brothers. I never bought that Ramse would turn against Cole for a son he doesn't know well and condemned to grow up in a bleak future. It's more believable that Ramse would resent Cole for abandoning him for Cassie, a stranger he considers a ghost who died long ago.

I was glad to see this, too, and I agree about what would have made for a more realistic turn for Ramse. I liked, though, that there was still a tension between the two men given what had happened between them. I actually really liked Ramse's turn around in terms of telling Cole. And it didn't seem all that quick to me given that he'd had 30 years to regret "killing" his brother. I like that it's complicated - Ramse regretted killing Cole, but still worked with the 12 Monkeys to get the virus going. He still wants the virus to happen, but, evidently, he can't keep himself from helping Cole now when he has the chance. Maybe he has adopted some of the fatalistic attitude of his compatriots, but I do think it's significant in terms of his relationship with Cole that he told about where and when the virus was going to be released and then went to help him. 

Plus, given the dumb (in my opinion) reverse he did because of his son, I don't mind a slightly dumb reverse now, if it gets Cole and Ramse back working together. 

So the main problems with this show last season were: far too much exposition; ridiculous science; and a poorly-drawn antagonist who does nothing but drone endlessly about fate and destiny, while simultaneously not knowing what the words mean

So what do we get in the first fifteen minutes of this episode? Endless exposition, ridiculous science and a poorly-drawn antagonist who does nothing but drone endlessly about fate and destiny. How could a time-travel show about a cult destroying mankind with a virus be so tedious?