Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Great Scott!

Oy, it looks like the rating for this episode is zero! I watched, pretty boring but I thought Scott came off well. (Yes, I know IRL he is not such a charmer, but here he seemed more mature, and more willing to learn, than Caitlyn ever has. She has no social graces.)

• Love 2

LOL Kate she has no clue about Caitlyn's family? She asked "Who is Scott?" While JB seemed like a super fan, "I feel like I know you and touching his face minutes after meeting him.

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing when Scott mentioned Caitlyn's manly door-knocking and back-slapping. Always enjoyed Scott's humor - and it was entertaining to see him try to learn from "Caitlyn's people."

• Love 3

Does anyone else think the whole Andrew/Candis thing was totally scripted?

I kind of feel it's unreasonable for the ladies to suggest that a cis man who isn't okay with dating them is somehow less evolved. Clearly there are men who are attracted to transgender women, even Caitlyn was approached by one years ago and I'm sure there are clubs or on line dating sights where they can meet. Why not look for companionship and love where you are accepted and desired?

Caitlyn was very rude to Scott. He went out of his way to support her and seems at ease with her situation and she basically ignored him. Using her poor hearing as an excuse was ridiculous, since we know she got hearing aids on KUWTK.

I groaned when I saw Kris's joker face in the previews. But then I heard Caitlyn sort of apologizing and her grinning ear to ear and figured that's what she came on the show for.

• Love 1

I really like Chandi and her Mom was great. Caitlyn delivers these platitudes or dare I say lines in the script, the sentiments are good but there is zero emotional connection to what she is talking about. You can't fake sincerity. But Chandi always gives me that in spades. She has an interesting story.

• Love 5

Caitlyn was very rude to Scott. He went out of his way to support her and seems at ease with her situation and she basically ignored him. Using her poor hearing as an excuse was ridiculous, since we know she got hearing aids on KUWTK.

Cait has no class. Those backslapping and door knocking comments from Scott were funny, though. He gets his zingers in when ever he can with that whole Kardashiian/Jenner crew. Scott didn't want to be there, he and Cait have never been close and barely tolerated each other for years. Now all of a sudden Scott's making a special trip to St. Louis. Anything for a paycheck I guess. The whole thing was awkward and uncomfortable. Now we're going to be subjected to Kris next week. Is she a producer on this show? 

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing when Scott mentioned Caitlyn's manly door-knocking and back-slapping. Always enjoyed Scott's humor - and it was entertaining to see him try to learn from "Caitlyn's people."

Not to mention Caitlyn sitting with her legs splayed open and the chewing with the mouth open thing.  Have you never watched how women carry themselves Bruce??? you lived with a whole household full of them. Just seems like if you always felt like a woman wouldn't femininity also be something you felt? Yes i know I'll get a lecture about how one can be a "woman" and not be feminine but really.....

• Love 6
(edited)

Not to mention Caitlyn sitting with her legs splayed open and the chewing with the mouth open thing. Have you never watched how women carry themselves Caitlyn??? you lived with a whole household full of them. Just seems like if you always felt like a woman wouldn't femininity also be something you felt? Yes i know I'll get a lecture about how one can be a "woman" and not be feminine but really.....

When they took off on the motorcycles, Caitlyn in the lead with that stupid little helmet, did anyone else get a flash of that still picture of Marlon Brando on his motorcycle in "The Wild Ones"?

I can't stand Caits talking heads where she has her upper lip stuck out and over enunciates. I think she must taking speech lessons to try and feminine her voice... Not working. I'm surprised too that she doesn't have more of her clothing tailored to fit better. That blouse with the neck scarf thing, the sleeves were way too short and the torso wasn't long enough.

I'm shocked too that she seems to have so little grasp of femininity and the feminine mindset. It just appears as if her only thoughts of being a woman were clothing and makeup.

When Chandi was sharing her life struggles with her, it seemed that Caits overly simplified answer to all the issues faced by the community is " just get a job" "why is it so hard to just get a job" "if they had a job they wouldn't have to do sex work"

And if I hear her say "my little Chandi or Zachary or Candis" one more time I'll scream.

Edited by 17wheatthins
Corrected name in quoted post
  • Love 4

Does anyone else think the whole Andrew/Candis thing was totally scripted?

I kind of feel it's unreasonable for the ladies to suggest that a cis man who isn't okay with dating them is somehow less evolved. Clearly there are men who are attracted to transgender women, even Caitlyn was approached by one years ago and I'm sure there are clubs or on line dating sights where they can meet. Why not look for companionship and love where you are accepted and desired?

I groaned when I saw Kris's joker face in the previews. But then I heard Caitlyn sort of apologizing and her grinning ear to ear and figured that's what she came on the show for.

Scott and Kris are making KUWTK "crossover" appearances on I Am Cait for ratings. I'm sure both of them are getting paid, so a little rudeness or fake apology on Caitlyn's part are part of the deal. Scott and Kris are both pros at this so I wouldn't waste my sympathies on either of them.

I agree with your sentiments but please don't misname anyone no matter how irritated you are with them.

For the last time the women on the show aren't "your girls" Cait. They are their own person and are women dammit.

I actually felt bad for Scott because he was trying and I'm glad that Jenny gave him the 411 on how to communicate Cait's new status with his kids because shielding them like Kourtney is doing is very detrimental to their psyche nevermind Caitlyn's psyche. They need to know what's going on.

That Candis date thing was totally scripted because there's no way they would've gotten as far as going on on a date in the short time they were in St. Louis since the guy wasn't traveling with them on the bus.

I don't know why they would bother scripting a thing like Andrew/Candis.Candis is an actress by trade and I bet if someone checks it out Andrew is probably a wanna be actor or has tried out for one of the multitude of reality shows out there. Perhaps it was an attempt to show viewers how difficult it is for the ladies to find dates.

I also don't get the constant teasing about a Candis/Caitlyn relationship. Both of them have stated that they would prefer to date men, so it's unlikely they would have a relationship.

I don't think Kourtney is doing anything that most mothers wouldn't do. I think Scott is equally concerned about upsetting the kids, particularly Mason, since he has had the longest contact with Caitlyn as grandpa. If I were in that situation I'd be cautious also.

(edited)

Cait has no class. Those backslapping and door knocking comments from Scott were funny, though. He gets his zingers in when ever he can with that whole Kardashiian/Jenner crew. Scott didn't want to be there, he and Cait have never been close and barely tolerated each other for years. Now all of a sudden Scott's making a special trip to St. Louis. Anything for a paycheck I guess. The whole thing was awkward and uncomfortable. Now we're going to be subjected to Kris next week. Is she a producer on this show?

Scott and Caitlyn never had a great relationship but I feel like it was more due to Caitlyn than Scott. I think Scott tried but Caitlyn only knew how to have a relationship with people on her terms. In the past, Scott took part in activities of no interest to him but only a means to bond with Caitlyn but it didn't work because Caitlyn took it very seriously and would become insulting and pushy and completely lose the fact that Scott's participation wasn't to be a champion, it was to bond and have Caitlyn like him.

Fast forward to now - maybe the good intentions are there but I do agree it seems more like a pay cheque thing but even so, Cait is a new name an face but her behavior was very much the same. Cait wanted to blame it on her hearing though why wouldn't you sit next to the guy to begin with rather than sit across the table and complain that you're not talking to him because you can't hear properly? Scott nailed it on the head - it's not because she can't hear, it's because she doesn't want to listen. Cait still has yet to learn that hearing and listening are not the same thing.

Edited by 17wheatthins
Proper name & pronoun usage

I don't know why it's so confusing for some people to call Caitlyn Caitlyn. Every time. It's the same every time. That's not confusing. Whatever.

If the stuff with Candis and her trainer wasn't scripted, I think she was probably reading a bit too much into it. Lots of male trainers are quite flirty with their female clients in an effort to make more $$. That being said, Candis is gorgeous and I feel for her struggles with finding a good man.

• Love 1

I don't know why it's so confusing for some people to call Caitlyn Caitlyn. Every time. It's the same every time. That's not confusing. Whatever.

If the stuff with Candis and her trainer wasn't scripted, I think she was probably reading a bit too much into it. Lots of male trainers are quite flirty with their female clients in an effort to make more $$. That being said, Candis is gorgeous and I feel for her struggles with finding a good man.

She is attractive and seems like a nice person. There is not a huge pool of men out there that are going to be okay with dating her, that's simply the reality of the situation. Why not look for a nice decent man who doesn't have an issue with her being a trans woman, specifcally a man who has voiced his attraction to and desire to date a trans woman? They're out there.

That said, the thing with Andrew was totally manufactured for the show. Candis was just passing thru town, she wasn't going to be a steady client, so he had no reason to flirt for $$$. She didn't even have a need for a trainer, just access to a gym, so I'm betting he has a SAG card, or working for one.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am not one who does that, and I'm not a frequent watcher of this show, but I read this while lurking and wanted to comment. I think there are times when, for clarity, it makes sense to use Caitlyn's former name. When referring to Caitlyn's life before the change, and things she may have noticed then, using her former name is shorthand for that period. It's a time marker.I get the rule and if I ever post about this again I'll follow it again. Just wanted to note that when some people break it, I don't believe it means anything beyond that.

I've tuned in to this show now and then and it prompted me to read one of JB's books (She's Not There), to better understand transgender issues and the challenges transgendered people face. I work with a transgendered person. And I don't get Caitlyn. It's almost as if she likes the trappings of being a woman, without the intent to actually be one. I don't expect wisdom from a reality show. I do wonder, however, how the people around her who clearly are passionate about transgendered issues feel about her at this stage. She is fascinating because she is a conservative who is transgender, so there are some mixed messages there. Maybe it is confusing for everyone?

It doesn't help that Caitlyn seems boorish (a la her "can't hear you" with Scott) both now and before. I guess you are who you are in some ways.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

I felt a little sad for Candis here and also think she was brave to put herself out their on TV regarding dating. Of course, the whole thing could have just been a set up. I do think since Candis is very glam and into dressing up and wearing makeup, she might try dating someone other than a personal trainer since many of them are really into little or no makeup and well, gym clothes. Of course I'm not trying to generalize everyone. 

Caitlyn was rude to Scott, but then again she is basically rude to everyone. I used to watch her on the Kardashian show and thought she was rude (so was Kris to be fare) and thought maybe it had to do with her general unhappiness. But, now she has what she was waiting for and she still is rude. 

• Love 1

I am not one who does that, and I'm not a frequent watcher of this show, but I read this while lurking and wanted to comment. I think there are times when, for clarity, it makes sense to use Caitlyn's former name. When referring to Caitlyn's life before the change, and things she may have noticed then, using her former name is shorthand for that period. It's a time marker.I get the rule and if I ever post about this again I'll follow it again. Just wanted to note that when some people break it, I don't believe it means anything beyond that.

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what a transgender person's name was before they transitioned the rule is to always refer to them by their chosen name and the corresponding pronoun. Here's a couple of examples.

In 1976, Caitlyn Jenner won the Men's Decathalon gold medal at the Montreal Summer Olympic Games.

During the O.J. Simpson trial, Robert Kardashian's ex-wife Kris Jenner was married to Caitlyn Jenner and Kris was pregnant with Kendall.

No one needs a time marker because a transgender person has always been the name they chose no matter when they transitioned. Do we dig into Janet Mock or Laverne Cox's past and find out their birth name and say that in articles or comment thread? No. It's that simple.

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what a transgender person's name was before they transitioned the rule is to always refer to them by their chosen name and the corresponding pronoun.

Many people still use Jenner's former name and pronoun, not out of malice but simply habit and the fact that Jenner aggressively sold that name to the public for at least 40 years.   That name became ingrained in the nation's collective consciousness.  I think it's entirely unfair and unrealistic to complain when someone uses the wrong name or pronoun when referring to this person.

No one needs a time marker because a transgender person has always been the name they chose no matter when they transitioned.

Not always.   Jenner couldn't think of a name so she had her assistant do it for her.   Her assistant chose the name Caitlyn.   As a transgender person, I shook my head in disbelief when I read this.   When you're transgender, you know your real name from a very early age.   You live with it, you embrace it, you define yourself by it.   

Jenner had an assistant choose hers.

Enough said.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what a transgender person's name was before they transitioned the rule is to always refer to them by their chosen name and the corresponding pronoun. Here's a couple of examples.

In 1976, Caitlyn Jenner won the Men's Decathalon gold medal at the Montreal Summer Olympic Games.

During the O.J. Simpson trial, Robert Kardashian's ex-wife Kris Jenner was married to Caitlyn Jenner and Kris was pregnant with Kendall.

No one needs a time marker because a transgender person has always been the name they chose no matter when they transitioned. Do we dig into Janet Mock or Laverne Cox's past and find out their birth name and say that in articles or comment thread? No. It's that simple.

Many people still use Jenner's former name and pronoun, not out of malice but simply habit and the fact that Jenner aggressively sold that name to the public for at least 40 years.   That name became ingrained in the nation's collective consciousness.  I think it's entirely unfair and unrealistic to complain when someone uses the wrong name or pronoun when referring to this person.

I may have slipped of few times at first while getting used to it, but I refer to her as Caitlyn no matter what time I'm referring to, but, I think it's ridiculous that to make sure we're being PC enough we have to say things like "In 1976, Caitlyn Jenner won the Men's Decathlon gold medal" because Caitlyn Jenner never would have been allowed to compete in the men's decathlon to begin with. As for Kris Jenner being married to Caitlyn, maybe somebody should ask Kris how she feels about that. 

• Love 5

Caitlyn also refers to herself as Bruce at times. "Bruce would do this, or Bruce would do that." She even declares "my name" is on that building when it clearly said "Bruce Jenner Sports Complex."  Graceland have said the name won't be changing on the building because it was Bruce who accomplished all he did during his time there for mens athletics. 

When Caitlyn herself uses both names, yes it could be confusing for others. Caitlyn herself declares Bruce existed, Bruce won the mens Olympic gold, not Caitlyn.

• Love 5