Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If Nora is here for the Charlotte custody battle, who's the other lawyer if Diane and Alexis don't do family law (and it looks as if Alexis won't have her law license back anyway)? I can't imagine it will be some random day player. 

ETA: Same question if she's here in some capacity for Franco. Who's the DA these days, Scott? Or maybe Nora comes in as the new temp DA? I can live with that, though the justice system in PC is never on the winning side, so here's hoping her stay is limited. Nora Hanen Gannon Buchanan should not always be losing.

I mean, not that this would stop the writers, but I don't really recall Nora doing much family law either.

Scott's not the DA anymore.  Last we saw him in court, he was representing Julian.

I'd so much rather see Nora with Alexis.  Have Nora be, I dunno, part of the review board that's looking into Alexis' suspension or something, maybe she's a peer advisor assigned to help Alexis, etc.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'd so much rather see Nora with Alexis.  Have Nora be, I dunno, part of the review board that's looking into Alexis' suspension or something, maybe she's a peer advisor assigned to help Alexis, etc.

Yes, I'd much rather see this than the usual idiotic court scenes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Man I LOVE HBS! And the woman can act. But I too hope she's just here for a short stint. Maybe she's Lulu's attorney? We've already been told that neither Alexis nor Diane handle family law, and that Diane recommended someone to them. So why not have it be Nora? I really have no issue with actors from other soaps coming to GH. With very few exceptions, everyone from current GH started on other shows. So this 'not a GH character' doesn't really make sense to me. That being said,  there's been far too many new characters lately. I like to think that had RoHo been cast as Steven Lars or some other GH character other than Franco, people wouldn't have such an issue. Same with ReBu if she'd been a recast. But IMO there's also nothing inherently wrong with new people coming to town. Everyone can't always be related to everyone else. IRL people move away and new people move in to a neighborhood/city. Why wouldn't that hold true for a soap as well? The real problem is that when FV/Jelly bring in someone new, that person gets the lion's share of air time at the expense of other, long(er)-term characters.

I mean YMMV of course, but I'm looking forward (for now) to seeing HBS again.

I wouldn't have a problem with an actor from a different soap coming here as long as they go through the same audition process as everyone else and land the part  based on their talent. I do have a problem with TPTB hiring someone then creating some loosely defined character for them, and then promoting it as a "get." It feels like they only hire these actors to give their pals a job and/or create some sort of hybrid soap and/or to get publicity because they scored a popular actor. 

And is it too much to ask that some of these actors play characters that already have ties to the canvas?

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

It feels like they only hire these actors to give their pals a job and/or create some sort of hybrid soap and/or to get publicity because they scored a popular actor. 

That's exactly what it is and what has been happening.

And this is supposed to be General Hospital. Not OLTL or AMC or a crossover of any kind. I'm over it and I can't wait till someone at ABC finds a replacement and ends this for good. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I wouldn't have a problem with an actor from a different soap coming here as long as they go through the same audition process as everyone else and land the part  based on their talent.

Welllll, that's not exactly a problem that started with Frank, or "General Hospital".  I'm sure Vincent Irizarry didn't audition to get on DOOL, nor did Thorsten Kaye audition to get on B&B, etc.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Welllll, that's not exactly a problem that started with Frank, or "General Hospital".  I'm sure Vincent Irizarry didn't audition to get on DOOL, nor did Thorsten Kaye audition to get on B&B, etc.

Sure, but Days isn't stuffed with 452424 characters and hasn't spent the last few years grabbing every unemployed soap actor in sight. And there's no possibility of Days being used to create a soap hybrid.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 3

All of this makes me curious how Gerry Anthony playing Marco Dane on GH from 1992-1993 (and winning an Emmy, no less, something he never did on OLTL, for some strange reason) went over with fans. It just seems so random, especially since he never returned to OLTL after that (and he died in 2004, which makes it even sadder).

At least RC as Skye had already been on AMC and OLTL by the time she got to GH in 2001. 

never mind...I completely misread the year in your post lol! I thought you said 1983 and was thinking 'wait, I KNOW he was there after that because I clearly remember him being part of Megan's DID story.'

4 hours ago, UYI said:

All of this makes me curious how Gerry Anthony playing Marco Dane on GH from 1992-1993 (and winning an Emmy, no less, something he never did on OLTL, for some strange reason) went over with fans. It just seems so random, especially since he never returned to OLTL after that (and he died in 2004, which makes it even sadder).

At least RC as Skye had already been on AMC and OLTL by the time she got to GH in 2001. 

There were so many soaps back then that I doubt fans were too upset.  We're down to four soaps and FV is too busy trying to hire every actor that ever acted on this crowded show. 

• Love 2

I don't understand this...

Soaps In Depth ABC ‏@soapsindepthabc 1m1 minute ago

Such a fan of @chloelanier. Nelle has become one of those complicated vixens who find themselves struggling with regret

Besides the promos, when has Nelle ever been portrayed as a vixen, complicated or otherwise?

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I think soaps need new characters/actors, but not the way FV does it

FV is too busy hiring what he considers pets / gets versus allow the HW to determine the need for new characters on the show.  GH has rich history and it makes no sense to bring on constant newbies and not tie them to existing families.  RoHo could have played Dr. Steven Lars Webber or Dr. Tom Hardy.  ME could have played badass Valentine Cassadine and there was no need for MSt or ReBu on this show.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

GH has rich history and it makes no sense to bring on constant newbies and not tie them to existing families.

And in the one case where they did - making Rebecca Budig Liz's sister/Jeff Webber's daughter - they did absolutely dick with it.  Did Liz even tell Jeff he has a daughter?  WTH?

• Love 9

Crossovers would be one thing if GH was in a strong place with its own longtime cast, characters, stories and families. I've never been averse to well-done crossovers on the ABC soaps; there is a rich history of those going back to AMC and OLTL in the '60s, with some of the doctors and lawyers from each show crossing over. I thought the original OLTL 3 crossover in 2012 was largely well-done, and that Todd and McBain both filled solid roles in the canvas; I even liked Michael and Starr, mostly. The romance with Todd and Carly didn't work for me but the characters had chemistry and the bulk of Todd's storyline was, I felt, in character, from the baby switch to his mischief-making to even his rushed rebound with Carly from Blair (who I felt was well-written on GH).

But 2013 changed all that when they brought back the actors as all-new characters, as we've discussed many a time before. That's the straw that broke the camel's back for me and polluted all future crossovers, to say nothing of Franco's continued frontburner prominence or ME being on Character #4. What would normally be a perfectly innocuous and nice little touch with Nora coming in to be part of some courtroom/legal plotline - something I'd welcome - just feels like more of the same slanted agenda while so much of the bulk of the show continues to fall apart. And it poisons the well for good crossovers like the Nora thing (unless she's defending Franco, in which case fuck this).

I will try to enjoy it, because Nora is one of my favorite OLTL characters, period. But I just wish it wasn't happening at the expense of the show.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 18
8 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And in the one case where they did - making Rebecca Budig Liz's sister/Jeff Webber's daughter - they did absolutely dick with it.  Did Liz even tell Jeff he has a daughter?  WTH?

The show never indicated that Elizabeth even bothered to tell Audrey that she had another granddaughter, so why would they want Jeff to know about his not needed kid?  I doubt Cam, Jake or Aiden even know that HateChel is their Aunt.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

For me, the show is already in the toilet and isn't going to come out of it, Nora or no Nora. I can't get caught up because I've lost all interest. I'm up to the Naxie wedding, but I'm not exactly jumping to watch.

Edit: In other news, ugh, just when we thought we were safe.

https://twitter.com/NicolasJBechtel/status/826981655629828096

I hear you I keep on reading spoilers hoping something will interest me but I just feel indiffernt these days.

Nelle is one of the most lamest bad girls.Heck I absolutely loathed Carly but at least when she first came on she wasn't boring.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Sure, but Days isn't stuffed with 452424 characters and hasn't spent the last few years grabbing every unemployed soap actor in sight. And there's no possibility of Days being used to create a soap hybrid.

DAYS tried by grabbing Passions actors and trying to recreate Passions big couple and it lost them viewers so they stopped.

16 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why would she? None of the stories Elizabeth is in are about her.

Which is a huge part of the problem with the way FV brings in new characters. It's constantly, continuously at the expense of the characters that GH viewers care about. And it would be bad enough if it was just at the expense of screen-time but it's been at the expense of character integrity and established history. That's a fairly unpardonable offense on a soap opera.

I really do think there was potential in a story about Hayden/Liz as sisters - if the focus had been Liz and the mother who was actually on canvas instead of a father that hasn't been relevant in decades. She needs a talk-to and a support system, even if (hell, especially if) it's a difficult relationship.

Liz/Franco? is a complete non-starter for me; he should make her skin crawl.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Never watched OLTL, but is her name really Hanen Gannon Buchanan?????? WTF???????????????????????? Who did it and why????

Gannon was her first husband's last name, and Buchanan her second husband's last name. I honestly believe it was an accident, but when she married the second husband in 1995, I think they realized it and made her maiden name Hanen on purpose. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Chad and his gigantic boulder-arms don't need to please you

Maybe now Chad can just intimidate Mo with his arms any time he complains things aren't revolving around Sonny. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

CD's arms are freaking me out too, but his face is more disturbing.

Yeah, it looks way more oval-ly than usual, right? Maybe it's the camera.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

CD is dead to me. One look at his Twitter follows and that was it.

This made me curious so I checked and yea over him. I'm glad I don't give a shit about Michael anymore or this would be worse.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

CD is dead to me. One look at his Twitter follows and that was it.

That is the quickest way to kill a lady boner that I've ever seen. Damn. 

• Love 3

Following someone on twitter doesn't necessarily mean you support them or what they say. I "hate follow" a few people I have no use for because their tweets are hilariously stupid. They're not nearly as...problematic as some of the people CD is following, but still. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until he himself says something stupid. 

ETA, never mind. I saw a past tweet and now think I was wrong to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Following someone on twitter doesn't necessarily mean you support them or what they say. I "hate follow" a few people I have no use for because their tweets are hilariously stupid. They're not nearly as...problematic as some of the people CD is following, but still. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until he himself says something stupid. 

ETA, never mind. I saw a past tweet and now think I was wrong to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I absolutely hate follow people too, in order to keep track of what certain people are saying. You're not, just because someone has a lot of Twitter followers doesn't always mean they're hardcore fans (and a lot of them might even be bots).

You know, I thought of this recently, but I should've known in October that Bryan and Kelly were over when his birthday passed and there was nothing with the two of them celebrating it. It seems so obvious now looking back. 

• Love 3

SID is trolling.

5 minutes ago, UYI said:

You know, I thought of this recently, but I should've known in October that Bryan and Kelly were over when his birthday passed and there was nothing with the two of them celebrating it. It seems so obvious now looking back. 

I kinda hope they're still together and just decided to stop talking about their relationship online. I don't know why since I don't care either way. 

• Love 1

TBF,  praising the directing on the love scene is just about the most anemic praise that you can give. They're basically congratulating somebody for keeping the camera pointed towards what was happening and actually watching that in real time.  

I sure as hell couldn't do it, so they probably do deserve praise for it. 

• Love 2