Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I thought Sundays were NLG's night to drunk tweet?  I won't copy the tweets, since they're political, but apparently she's making an exception and adding in a Tuesday night drunk tweeting session for the primary.  

I thought Sundays were NLG's night to drunk tweet?  I won't copy the tweets, since they're political, but apparently she's making an exception and adding in a Tuesday night drunk tweeting session for the primary.  

I'll bring this over, since I've excised the political part.

"I've been dragged before. Bring it."

awkward.

• Love 3

I'll bring this over, since I've excised the political part.

"I've been dragged before. Bring it."

awkward.

A. That tells me exactly how much she's learned from emmy night. She's been made stronger, eh? Instead of humbled.

B. I still advocate an NLG exception to the politics rule, so long as we're not actually engaging about the politics and instead about NLG's drunken, tweeting "glory." 

• Love 3

I understand why NLG is upset about the other woman being dragged, as the other woman is definitely an icon and a hero of mine, even if her comment the other night was...not the best (and like NLG/other woman, I support a certain woman they're alluding back to in question), but OH DEAR GOD NLG should NOT be daring ANYONE to drag her. 

• Love 2

I understand why NLG is upset about the other woman being dragged, as the other woman is definitely an icon and a hero of mine, even if her comment the other night was...not the best (and like NLG/other woman, I support a certain woman they're alluding back to in question), but OH DEAR GOD NLG should NOT be daring ANYONE to drag her.

Especially since the last time it happened she wasn't being a feminist or speaking truth to power. She tweeted a bunch of ignorant shit while drunk and got called out -that's not a badge of honor

• Love 5

Especially since the last time it happened she wasn't being a feminist or speaking truth to power. She tweeted a bunch of ignorant shit while drunk and got called out -that's not a badge of honor

I don't think she was necessarily referring to when she was dragged by, you know, basically, the whole internet, but you'd think she'd realize that maybe it could kinda come off that way . . . ? 

• Love 3

I don't think she was necessarily referring to when she was dragged by, you know, basically, the whole internet, but you'd think she'd realize that maybe it could kinda come off that way . . . ? 

Could kinda?  She just got dragged through the proverbial mud less than six months ago. She trended for two days straight, and not in a all publicity is good publicity kinda way. Like in the way that a friend of mine who was named Susan Smith wanted to change her name for awhile kind of way. I'd hope, even drunk tweeting, Nancy would know exactly how people would take that comment.

• Love 4

Dawn Griffin ‏@Dawn4Soaptown 9m9 minutes ago
A source told us this morning that she [becky Herbst] is not going to renew - Lawd, I hope this source is wrong. #GH

Dawn Griffin ‏@Dawn4Soaptown 2m2 minutes ago
The source also mentioned that Y&R is also interested in Becky Herbst as a possible recast Mackenzie. #GH

Yeah, but I'm not sure how reliable the source is. I was told by my editor who got it from her source. *hands out salt shakers*

• Love 1

I'd be shocked if that happened. JFP has no great love for Becky Herbst, who she tried to can.

But she probably has some idea of the power of her fan base, given she had to reverse that decision.  And it'd be quite the twist of the knife after already securing JT.

• Love 5

I'd be shocked if that happened. JFP has no great love for Becky Herbst, who she tried to can.

Earlier than 2011 or are you talking about the 2011 firing? Because I think both NLG and BH said JFP was the one who saved her job in 2011.

The same soaptown person also said this just now:

The only other thing I was told was that ABC wants to cut BH's pay which could be the sticking point in the negotiations.

Edited by ulkis

Oh, I'm sure it's about the money. It couldn't be anything else with her and Frankie Loves the Lowball (with both men and women, but especially women). I just can't see Becky Herbst, mother of [how many?] and breadwinner, being like 'time to spread my wings with a new character on a completely different show when soaps are at their lowest point in TV history!' She just doesn't seem the type and I'm not sure she'd be comfortable. I also think it would be very bad for the show in a lot of ways because while I may hate Liz at the moment, her character has a very, very devoted audience.

Actors say lots of things about their EPs - I don't know the alleged quote about JFP helping her out, but it's certainly possible. All I know is that during the bulk of Jill's tenure she and Guza had little use for Liz beyond the situational, and JFP is very, very rarely a friend to any female stars/vets who she didn't bring in. (It's also possible JFP only magnanimously 'stepped in' when they saw the massive backlash.)

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

GH always stay asking her to take a paycut, I'm sure they don't do that with their male stars

Oh, I'm sure they do, but they probably are not asking ones with Becky's fanbase and years to take the same amount. When they asked Burton to take a cut it was probably less.

And for what? So they can bring fucking Easton on board again?

• Love 9

I don't even like Liz, but if GH lets BH go, too, I think the show will close up shop within a year. It can't last with a bunch of recasts, FV's pets, and the occasional vet in the midst of boring-as-hell writing.

Eh. BH is not gonna make or break this show. And I like her a lot.

• Love 2

Burton is good friends with her, though.  And I could see him suggesting the idea to JFP, and it's a great way to keep Steve happy and to keep sticking it to GH.

GH always stay asking her to take a paycut, I'm sure they don't do that with their male stars

Word. At least for the stars.  They did lowball Scott Reeves, according to him. And I think John York was  working for whatever change they could find in the couch cushions by the end.

Oh, I'm sure they do, but they probably are not asking ones with Becky's fanbase and years to take the same amount. When they asked Burton to take a cut it was probably less.

Double word about Easton.

Did they even ask Burton to take a cut though?  I thought it was more that Burton wanted his 3-day week schedule and flights to and from Nashville paid for.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 2

She should ask for a pay raise and make divo demand like Eric Braeden and MB. 

One thing she should ask for is to never share scenes or mention that douche name Jason again, also do not used her character to prob newbies and others

Edited by gator12
  • Love 3

On her own, of course not. But between SBu (like him or hate him), JT, and now maybe BH? A small exodus seems to be starting. It doesn't seem like Frankie is interested in keeping the old guard and he already got one soap killed.

• Love 10

Burton is good friends with her, though.  And I could see him suggesting the idea to JFP, and it's a great way to keep Steve happy and to keep sticking it to GH.

That is very true and a good point.

I think it's more about death by a thousand cuts at this point. TG is gone. Scrubs are gone. Liz is another cornerstone. They're not going to keep this show going with Julexis, Jasam Mark II, Kiki, Morgan, Franco, Nina and yes, Michael Easton IV: The Search for Curly's Gold.

At the same time FV may think he now has the network in a corner with The Fab Life down and no other alternative programming for, let's say another year or more. That's the only reason I can buy for him having the latitude to bring ME back yet again.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 9

Oh yeah, if she does end up leaving because she's being nickel and dimed, the backlash about the Easton rehiring will really pick up steam.

It doesn't seem like Frankie is interested in keeping the old guard and he already got one soap killed.

Frank didn't get OLTL killed, that was all ABC.

• Love 1

If this was 5 years ago, when she was actually fired, I'd say the same thing. But now, when the show is filled with NuDillon, Valerie, Kiki, Brydog, Nina, Franco, Hayden, evil Nik, NuJason, dead-in-the-eyes-Dante, sometimes-dead-in-the-eyes Maxie, and her boyfriend the plank of wood, I'm not so sure.

• Love 10

I think it's more about death by a thousand cuts at this point. TG is gone. Scrubs are gone. Liz is another cornerstone. They're not going to keep this show going with Julexis, Jasam Mark II, Kiki, Morgan, Franco, Nina and yes, Michael Easton IV: The Search for Curly's Gold.

At the same time FV may think he now has the network in a corner with The Fab Life down and no other alternative programming for, let's say another year or more. That's the only reason I can buy for him having the latitude to bring ME back yet again.

I've forever thought that X leaving or Y leaving would "for sure" effect the ratings and viewers would leave in droves and the show would certainly not survive....and it has never happened. It didn't happen with Geary, Genie, or SBu, or JJ, or Kim, or JT, and it's not gonna happen with BH. Just MO.

• Love 2

Frank didn't get OLTL killed, that was all ABC.

The Year of Fords didn't exactly help our cause. And no matter what FV thought or the numbers said then, I do not believe the continued relentless focus on KA and ME's frontburner stories - which was very long in the tooth by then for both - helped anything.

• Love 6

I've forever thought that X leaving or Y leaving would "for sure" effect the ratings and viewers would leave in droves and the show would certainly not survive....and it has never happened. It didn't happen with Geary, Genie, or SBu, or JJ, or Kim, or JT, and it's not gonna happen with BH. Just MO.

I thought Ron Carlivati would survive all his failures and be the show's last HW out of sheer network disinterest. I'm sure he did too. He wasn't. Eventually there is a tipping point, and it is cumulative. Frank may be lucky right now because the clock may be against the network vs. the show. The numbers are still far from great, too.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

The Year of Fords didn't exactly help our cause. And no matter what FV thought or the numbers said then, I do not believe the continued relentless focus on KA and ME's frontburner stories - which was very long in the tooth by then for both - helped anything.

No doubt ABC ultimately pulled the plug. But the numbers which allowed ABC to do so were on Frank's watch. So I think he deserves some blame there.

• Love 4

I thought Ron Carlivati would survive all his failures and be the show's last HW out of sheer network disinterest. I'm sure he did too. He wasn't. Eventually there is a tipping point, and it is cumulative. Frank may be lucky right now because the clock may be against the network vs. the show. The numbers are still far from great, too.

I think what you said about there being no other alternative to GH is a main reason why it will continue, regardless of certain actors' exits.

• Love 1

No doubt ABC ultimately pulled the plug. But the numbers which allowed ABC to do so were on Frank's watch. So I think he deserves some blame there.

No, I agree. The actors all say (and they were right, to a point) that FV pulled out all the stops under enormous budget constraints to keep the show going and its demographics right for Brian Frons, but while he may have had a lot of data on certain stars that doesn't change the fact that he's always had biases that really hurt the show even as he fought to save it. Those biases and personal choices carried over to GH and have since become magnified a thousandfold on this show.

• Love 9

But she probably has some idea of the power of her fan base, given she had to reverse that decision.  And it'd be quite the twist of the knife after already securing JT.

I could see JFP looking at the whole situation - BH's fans are already pissed off (and some have tuned out) over the trashing the character has endured over the past several months.  She knows BH's fan base is strong and loyal.  If she joined Y&R with SBu and JT, she has to assume that she'd bring over viewers, and it would be an F-U to Frank and the network.  Honestly, if we hear some last minute deal is worked out, I'll assume it's solely because Frank doesn't want her to sign on with Y&R (and then he'll promptly ignore Liz and focus on his pets).  

• Love 8

I think what you said about there being no other alternative to GH is a main reason why it will continue, regardless of certain actors' exits.

I think that's probably true for awhile, and I think that is likely why FV was like "fuck it! Mike, you're back in!" Who on Earth was clamoring for that aside from the Caleb people? FV is still obsessed with decade-old demo data on Easton from OLTL.

But I don't think this can go on forever. I think it's borrowed time, this year more than ever before because there is clearly no commitment to doing anything other than surviving while still doing whatever the EP feels like.

It's true, the show wasn't at the top of its game when the axe came down, though I still think the persistent view of OLTL as the redheaded stepchild of the lineup by the higher-ups contributed to the cancellation more than Frank did.

I think it was largely the network, yes. But Frank and Ron's own choices also paved the way.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6

It's true, the show wasn't at the top of its game when the axe came down, though I still think the persistent view of OLTL as the redheaded stepchild of the lineup (with GH being the "cool, mob one" and AMC being "the Susan Lucci one") by the higher-ups contributed to the cancellation more than Frank did.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

Honestly, if we hear some last minute deal is worked out, I'll assume it's solely because Frank doesn't want her to sign on with Y&R

This. I will be shocked if he doesn't do everything to keep her. I will LOL if another one leaves for Y&R, though. Purely for hilarity reasons.

• Love 1

Maybe. I don't think Becky leaving will break the show - I think a ton of Liz FF have already left at this point - but probably if Becky leaves this probably won't be the last major exit coming. Does anyone know whose contract is up next?

And at some point, even if the show isn't cancelled, if the ratings are low enough, the affiliate can just simply shove it in the middle of the night if they want to.

• Love 5

Those biases and personal choices carried over to GH and have since become magnified a thousandfold on this show.

This I agree with 100%.  The bad habits he and Ron exhibited on OLTL only got worse on GH.  Which is still sad to me because they were the ones to come in and finally break the Guza mold.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8

Maybe. I don't think Becky leaving will break the show - I think a ton of Liz FF have already left at this point - but probably if Becky leaves this probably won't be the last major exit coming. Does anyone know whose contract is up next?

And at some point, even if the show isn't cancelled, if the ratings are low enough, the affiliate can just simply shove it in the middle of the night if they want to.

Becky will not break the show. And I'd say that about any actor.