Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Even when OLTL and AMC were being canceled I never got the feeling that there was any "will" to can GH. I think ABC/Disney see General Hospital as the Name Brand in Soaps and they are not really willing to lose the brand. I agree Tiger that as long as the budget is down and the rating are steady, it would seem things will remain the same.

But I also get the feeling that Ron is skirting to close to the edge of good taste, and that this may back lash on him. Disney is very image orientated and they hate things out of line or sync.

I keep hoping that something will give. I do not want to see the show canceled (Though more and more I wish it were on Netflix/Hulu) but I do not see any long term benefit in Ron. I am never as critical of Frank, keeping things in under budget is his job and it keeps the show on the air, it is Ron's writing that sucks. I wish they were not attached at the hip

Can you imagine how long a love scene with The Nina would take, what with her repeating everything twice and all?

"Before I make love . . . I  . . . make love . . . I like to, to, take my hands . . . and shove them in my armpits . . . the pits of my arms . . . you see, right, right, here, you see the pits? Yeah, they're my pits . . . . and then I like to SMELL THEM LIKE THIS!!!!!!"

• Love 12

ulkis, I would like that comment a hundred times if I could lol.

But, and maybe I'm remember wrong, didn't we see MS in a love scene with Silas?

I think we saw a kiss or two and then the "afterglow".

• Love 4

ulkis, I would like that comment a hundred times if I could lol.

But, and maybe I'm remember wrong, didn't we see MS in a love scene with Silas?

oh right, I blocked that out.

"Before I make love . . . I  . . . make love . . . I like to, to, take my hands . . . and shove them in my armpits . . . the pits of my arms . . . you see, right, right, here, you see the pits? Yeah, they're my pits . . . . and then I like to SMELL THEM LIKE THIS!!!!!!"

It is honestly not at all hard to imagine this exact scene happening. Which is embarrassing, but very hilarious.

The NYC local ABC affiliate had a story on GH after today's ep. The credit is given to Frank for making stories more "realistic" and for bringing in new cast while keeping the old. It was really short piece and seemed more of an introduction to a series, since there will be more reports on Mondays after the show.

Next week's topic: Social media. I wonder if Ron's hissy fits will be mentioned. Heh.

Is GH doing really well in your market since moving back to 3?

According to my local paper, my local affiliate has been fucking aces (my words, not theirs) since they changed the line-up to Vieira at 1, Chew at 2 and GH at 3 back in Sep.

The credit is given to Frank for making stories more "realistic" ...

I'm sorry, but what godforsaken reality involves this much kidnapping and this many homicidal maniacs roaming around?!   The show has three separate kidnappings going on right now, and the Lulu and Maxie kidnapping happened this year, and I'm pretty sure Carly was being held by someone in the spring.  And don't get me started on all the back-from-the-dead characters. 

Did they give any examples of this supposed realism?  I'm dying to know.  Or is Frank making it more "realistic" by toning down what the writers really want to put on screen ... in which case, I am scared of the writers. 

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but what godforsaken reality involves this much kidnapping and this many homicidal maniacs roaming around?!   The show has three separate kidnappings going on right now, and the Lulu and Maxie kidnapping happened this year, and I'm pretty sure Carly was being held by someone in the spring. 

Criminal Minds? Given how many of the actors on GH have appeared on that show, maybe there's a correlation?

I'm only partly kidding.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

The credit is given to Frank for making stories more "realistic"

Actually the word was 'believable,' which is even more ridiculous. I was just coming on here to ask what he was smoking when he said it?

• Love 2
The credit is given to Frank for making stories more "realistic".

Actually the word was 'believable,' which is even more ridiculous.

Ack, this reminds me of Michael Logan calling the Lulu/Maxie/Dante/Spinelli custody battle over baby Connie/Georgie "gritty, reality-based drama".  Say whaaaa?!?!

The credit is given to Frank for making stories more "realistic".

Actually the word was 'believable,' which is even more ridiculous.

Oops, my bad. Robin defrosting the Qs is much more "believable" than it is "realistic." Ha!

• Love 3

He does look better . . . but still frail, imo. I hope he retires after this or they never try to hinge anything this major on him again.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

Oh Dear Lord. This has to be the dumbest attempt to pimp GH ever:

http://www.mediabizbloggers.com/media-biz-bloggers/281622011.html#.VFrbHZuEO8F.twitter

Yes, Dr. O throwing Jake out of the hospital because he couldn't afford his hundreds of thousands dollars doctor's bill is a "realistic" discussion of today's rising health care costs. So topical! And of course it wasn't just a plot device to get Jason and Liz to live together.

I get it's sweeps. And they are doing everything to pimp the show. But exactly how stupid are we supposed to be? On second thought, don't answer that.

• Love 2

I don't know if this is right place to put this or not but little brooklynn and the spencer actor had a little peice in the SID.

THe Spencer actor would like to play sonny if any other character because hes one bad dude.

Brooklynn would like to play Robin because shes a doctor and saves people lol.Such a contrast in their answers lol.

Here's another attempt by ABC to pimp GH for sweeps:

http://7online.com/entertainment/general-hospital-survives-and-thrives-in-era-of-dying-soap-operas/378891/

My favorite line?  "Frank Valentini introduced storylines that were more believable..."

Two things are clear:

1) The suits are running from the Cartooni label and branding with this push for a "realism" identity; and

2) The "newscaster" who prepared that little fluff piece are anything but a journalist. And she clearly hasn't seen an episode of the show.

My second favorite exchange:

Commentator 1:  We're so glad it's back on at 3:00 p.m. We like to watch in our newsroom. It's our guilty pleasure.

Commentator 2:  The sound isn't on, though.

Hell, he's probably having the penultimate guffaw.

I feel like such a shit for even saying anything, but just in case people get confused, penultimate means second to last (next to the ultimate).  I had a boss who had an annoying fondness for that word.

Edited by Francie

I don't know if this is right place to put this or not but little brooklynn and the spencer actor had a little peice in the SID.

THe Spencer actor would like to play sonny if any other character because hes one bad dude.

Brooklynn would like to play Robin because shes a doctor and saves people lol.Such a contrast in their answers lol.

I find it so gross that this child seems to look up to Sonny. RC is ruining children!

• Love 1

I feel like such a shit for even saying anything, but just in case people get confused, penultimate means second to last (next to the ultimate).  I had a boss who had an annoying fondness for that word.

No no, it's an old joke. I think Guza used it incorrectly in an interview, I believe when Sonny shot Dante. He called it "the cosmic penultimate guffaw".

ETA: Yup, that's what it was. To quote Serial Drama:

OH. And what does Bob Guza have to say about this twist? According to the most recent Soap Opera Digest Insider email, he considers it

"the penultimate, the cosmic guffaw."

ETA: Here's some more Guza ridiculous from another interview, lest we let Ron hog all the douchey limelight:

http://serialdrama.typepad.com/serial_drama/2010/07/the-mixedup-mind-of-robert-guza.html

TVG: Your storytelling is more balanced now, too.

G: It’s because of the stories. I fixated on the idea of the Dante story that became the umbrella story for what you’re seeing now. The trick was not to make it Sonny’s story but Jason’s, Carly’s and so forth. I think that’s what our turning point was and what you’re seeing. Dante’s story has allowed us to tell these umbrella stories that we have to tell with this cast.

TVG: In a few sentences, what’s the identity of GH today?

RG: [long pause] Wow. It’s almost like love amongst the ruins. Love against the backdrop of violence, despair, and death. The one thing we’ve always had, and let’s not forget the mob has been a part of the show’s history since Luke was a runner for Frank Smith’s mob, what it gives us is high-stakes drama. You and I could have dinner at some little Italian restaurant in New York but it’s just not dinner because at any moment someone could run in and kill us because our families hate each other. Once you find the romance in that backdrop, the story is automatically amplified given the circumstances these people are living in. I’ve always found that fascinating.

TVG: Lost really made that technique popular, first with their flashbacks and then later with their flash-forwards. Later, Desperate Housewives and Mad Men really utilized that technique to their advantage. Do you think soaps would be wise to employ the flash-forward device to keep their narratives relevant and fresh?

RG: We’ve messed with time before, that whole thing with Metro Court. But you have to be careful because there is such strong, strong identification with these shows. When James Franco shows up in public, fans say, “Hey, James you were great in fill-in-the-blank movie.” When Steve Burton is out in public, fans go, “Jason, why are you with Sam?” Soap fans don’t separate [fact from fiction], which is why you can’t mess with time too much or the audience gets turned off.

RG: No question that Steve Burton is one of the most underrated and most extraordinary actors working today. I’m surprised, year after year, when he doesn’t get Emmy nomination [even though he’s already won an Emmy as Outstanding Supporting Actor in 1998]. What Steve does so well, much of the time, is play so much with so little words. You don’t see that in daytime so much.

oy.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
No no, it's an old joke. I think Guza used it incorrectly in an interview, I believe when Sonny shot Dante. He called it "the cosmic penultimate guffaw".

ETA: Yup, that's what it was. To quote Serial Drama:

OH. And what does Bob Guza have to say about this twist? According to the most recent Soap Opera Digest Insider email, he considers it

"the penultimate, the cosmic guffaw."

Oh my Lord.  Well, now I kinda am glad I said something.

No wonder Ron feels like he's a superior writer. He knows words like penultimate and tertiary.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 2

My favorite is "I used Dante's story and spread it across the canvas to Jason and Sonny and Carly!" Like, you'd think he'd at least have the self-awareness to at least make it seem he gave a shit about anyone else, but maybe at that point he didn't even give that much of a damn anymore.

• Love 2

Oh man, those Guza quotes. LOL! What a gift he was!

My favorite was...well, I'll let the Serial Drama girls take it...

"That is not what this story is about,'' Guza says. ''The show is about romance during wartime..."

THE SHOW IS ABOUT A FUCKING HOSPITAL AND THE PEOPLE IN A SMALL UPSTATE NEW YORK TOWN, YOU FUCKING SADISTIC HACK OF A BASTARD. AND ALSO, HIRED KILLERS ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS SOLDIERS, YOU DUMBASS.

And he said it AGAIN in another interview...

TVG: In a few sentences, what’s the identity of GH today?

RG: [long pause] Wow. It’s almost like love amongst the ruins. Love against the backdrop of violence, despair, and death.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
What Steve does so well, much of the time, is play so much with so little words. You don’t see that in daytime so much.

Oh my, yes everyone wants to watch blocks of wood day in and day out. It makes for such "good" viewing.[/sarcasm]

I truely am speechless at this guy's total lack of thoughts based in reality.SMH

• Love 1

Ha, look what I found in the comments - apparently GH has been misusing this word for more than a decade lol

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/se5flm/headlines---dramacide

(for those who can't view it, it's Luke and Laura signing their divorce papers in 2001 and Laura says "we were the penultimate". Okay, and quick history question - was that penned by McTavish? Because there was a horrible montage featured in the clip too)

Guza's GH didn't have much love, but it sure had plenty of violence, despair, and death. He's spot-on about that.

I'll actually give him credit for the love part, especially compared to now - Scrubs, Lante, Georgie/Dillon were all couples I really liked. And I make fun of them a lot but I think Nem was genuinely popular. And Jasam. And Liason.

Oh Maura West, this scored you oodles of points with me:

I loved the idea [of Ava being pregnant], because it’s hilarious that it could be Carly’s (Laura Wright) grandbaby that Ava is having.

Damn right that's hilarious!  That baby being Morgan's would be the cherry on top of the sundae of Carly's current misery.  Make it happen, show!

ETA...also this, oh Maura!

[re: who she wants the baby's father to be] Well, Morgan of course!  She told him that and she meant that.  Ava loves Morgan.  She doesn’t love Sonny, besides how many kids can that guy have? (Laughs)

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4