Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E24: Perfectly Perfect

• Start Topic

Behind the scenes dirt always said that this storyline's original arc was supposed to be Brenda with an eating disorder/diet pill addiction, and Kelly helping her through it, which would build back trust between the two. And that ShanDo refused to do it because she was (according to her) so much thinner than the other women in the cast, so they swapped it.

Honestly who knows if that's really how it went down, but it's unfortunate if it was since Kelly helping Brenda through something would actually have been a much more effective way to start to repair their friendship than the other way around. Sure, a life-and-death (ha) situation making Brenda realize there are things more important than teenage indiscretions makes a modicum of sense, but it should have been better. 

Television in general never fails to amuse me in that people in the exact same room with the exact same temperature are in a variety of breezy sleeveless outfits with other folks in long-sleeved shirts and jackets. And yet everyone is comfortable! You'd think the guys' hair product alone would get them too sweaty for such heavy gear.

Edited by gesundheit

I don't hate this episode! I like that Steve got a win for once. And I actually find it believable that Kelly's medical emergency would cause Brenda to think about how important their friendship is/was and try to get over the Dylan crap faster. <br /><br />That being said, whiny/sad/bitchy Kelly stays for so long and it's sooooo tedious.

They may have been somewhat de-fanged by the late 90s, but you could def still get Dexatrim and the like from the aisles at least as late as 1999 - I only know because I was a freshman at NYU and went to the Limelight (!!!) all hopped up on diet pills and Boone's farm in an attempt to feel high enough to dance all out.

Every word of that sentence is mortifying.

Edited by itainttippithebird
  • Love 2

Television in general never fails to amuse me in that people in the exact same room with the exact same temperature are in a variety of breezy sleeveless outfits with other folks in long-sleeved shirts and jackets. And yet everyone is comfortable! You'd think the guys' hair product alone would get them too sweaty for such heavy gear.

I'm obsessed with this ever since thirtysomething put Ellen in a tank top talking with Hope who was wearing turtleneck ski sweater!

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

Celeste. The best girl for Steve until he screws that up several times. Great job Steve....

Nothing else interesting in that episode except Jordan who I don't even know if he is Andrea's boyfriend or not but whatever. I think the next episode Kelly says something like "Why don't you sleep with Andrea Zuckerman" to Dylan. 

That shot of the group crowded around Kelly's hospital bed is seriously the Nana-est Ohndrea has ever looked. She honestly looks like she doesn't even know where she is, but she's still happy to be there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

After looking at bray upon bray, I am baffled that anyone ever found Jason Priestley attractive.

Exactly.  Steve may have acted like he had the IQ of a herring but he seemed much nicer.  Also I'm not going to begrudge ian Ziering's success in the Sharknado franchise.  Man's gotta pay the bills somehow.

• Love 3

Many, many years ago I once tried something I got from a HEALTH STORE, in which you were supposed to take these pills right before you started your workout and it would supposedly help with speeding up your metabolism.

I took one (as listed) dosage, started my workout, and suddenly I was sweating an insane amount, just dripping with sweat even though I'd barely gotten started (much less doing anything vigorous that would have created that kind of sweating), and then my heart started to pound really fast -- really really fast, like "it's going to pound right out of my chest, this is very much not normal" fast -- and it scared the CRAP out of me. I thought "This is it. I'm going to have a heart attack at 19 (or whatever I was at the time), right here in my living room, my parents are going to get up in an hour and find me dead on the floor. All because I had to lose a few pounds. I am an IDIOT."

It was the scariest thing I'd ever experienced, and I've never tried any sort of pill to lose weight ever again. Not even when my friends all wanted to try that fen-phen garbage that was big in the 90's. "Doctors" thought it would be fine if monitored properly but I just didn't trust what it would do to my body. (And as it turns out, I was right to avoid it, given how many people had heart issues or even died from taking that shit.)

I still remember this episode of 90210. I forgot about the dating show (though looking at the visual aids, I remember that scene where Steve's sulking in the limo and then finally gets himself together and tells his date the truth and they have that sweet moment), but I sure remember the Kelly part of the episode. Especially the "binging" scene. At the time I remember thinking it just didn't capture the reality of eating disorders. Especially, as you point out, the secrecy aspect of it. (And taking a few bites of something with her tiny mouth and then throwing the rest down the garbage disposal in disgust is hardly a binge. But nice try, show.)

this storyline's original arc

I wonder how many other storylines were changed due to BTS drama...and yes, Kelly helping Brenda does sound like it would have been more interesting.

I always liked Celeste. And while Steve is nicer than Brandon, Celeste did deserve better.

• Love 1

Am I the only one thinking that at this point, Kelly and Dylan aren't into each other after all? Dylan can't break up with Kelly because he doesn't really have anyone else now that he's burned the Walsh bridges. Kelly can't break up with Dylan because she doesn't want to be a bitch now that his dad blew up and also, breaking up with him would somehow be letting Brenda win and the friendship be in ruins for no good reason.

What is with Donna and the sunflowers? First that tacky hat (Blossom called, etc.), now that FLOOR-LENGTH dress with giant sunflower print... I remember now that my younger sister had a friend that was WAY into sunflowers in the mid-90s. Ick.

Shout-out to that mirror on Kelly's vanity! I had one (second-hand, as alas I was and am no BH90210er) and my sisters and I thought I was the shit because I could test my teenage makeup under different lighting scenarios! So useful! You never know when you will go from standard indoor lighting to fluorescent lighting, and a girl must be prepared to look fetching under every condition.

Edited by bilgistic

I watched the entire run of the series in real time, I watched them in syndication on the various channels, I own the entire DVD collection and I legitimately cried when Daniel Drennan stopped doing his weekly wrap-up because the snark was so much better than the show itself.  Stumbling upon these podcasts gives me life.

• Love 1

And who can forget Ayds the diet pill that looked like chocolate candy. Every teenage girl in the late 80's, eating disorder or not, was familiar with that brand if only because of the name.