Type keyword(s) to search

The West Wing Weekly & Other The West Wing Podcasts

Josh Malina Tweeted yesterday (Eastern US Time) that there's now a lapel pin for his & Hrishi's podcast available

Just saw on twitter, while following the Trump press conference/scream for attention, that they sold out already

6 hours ago, AriAu said:

Just saw on twitter, while following the Trump press conference/scream for attention, that they sold out already

Joshua addressed that on his Twitter last night, by which point they were running out. He said they ARE ordering more pins, but it'll take awhile to get them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/758103575771815937

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/758323483738648576

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/758355248381440000

On 9/14/2016 at 2:58 PM, ProudMary said:

Maybe this makes up for the withdrawal I'm suffering from not having a new episode of TWWW today.  Just maybe.

Such a nice interview! Sorkin really came off well, IMO. He didn't sound at all pompous, but rather just like a guy excited to be talking about a project he was proud of. I'm sure it helped that he was talking with Josh.

• Love 2

I just finished listening to the podcast episode with Aaron Sorkin.  Outstanding!  Even if you don't regularly listen to the podcast, you should make an exception and listen to this one.  And best of all, he volunteered to come back in the future for additional episodes.  The time went by in a flash as the content was so engrossing!

• Love 1

I just finished listening to the double episode podcast for "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen I & II."  I have very mixed emotions about the episodes because both were so driven by the special guests.  Having Tommy Schlamme at their disposal for over an hour had to have been heaven for Josh and Hrishi.  It certainly was for this podcast listener.  There was so much great info shared that it is well worth a listen for all TWW fans, even if you don't usually listen to TWWW podcast.  Then, Part II was an interview with Brad Whitford and also an interview with Michael O'Neill (Ron Butterfield.)  Great stuff, right?  Well yes, but my negative view is that there was much too little discussion of the actual episodes and those two episodes are pivotal episodes for the show.   Schlamme and Whitford were each commenting on their entire TWW experience, which, don't get me wrong, is what I want as a fan from these two guys.  But now I'd like an additional podcast episode where Josh and Hrishi discuss all the little details about those two specific, important episodes.  

The Michael O'Neill interview OTOH, was very specific to this episode and fascinating because of it.  When preparing for his role, through a friend of a friend, O'Neill was able to have an in-depth discussion with the real life Secret Service agent who physically put President Reagan into the car after he was shot.  The whole fictional scene in the car with Ron Butterfield and President Bartlet was heavily influenced by the reality of what actually occurred back in 1981.  Fantastic stuff and truly my favorite part of the double episode.  Listen to it if you get the chance.

• Love 3

I have very mixed emotions about the episodes because both were so driven by the special guests.  Having Tommy Schlamme at their disposal for over an hour had to have been heaven for Josh and Hrishi.  It certainly was for this podcast listener.  There was so much great info shared that it is well worth a listen for all TWW fans, even if you don't usually listen to TWWW podcast.  

While I get your point about not really digging in on 2 of my favorite episodes, but they have done with a few others as well.

I was overjoyed to hear Tommy Schlamme alone about the show-if I remember correctly, he was with Sorkin on the DVD commentary. The insights were priceless about the whole show and this episode as well, including Mandy's trip to Mandyville and how they dealt with the deviations from the show's Bible. I actually saved this podcast rather than deleting it.

Only got thru the Butterfield part which was also priceless and just got started listening to Josh and Brad (or Josh and Josh or Will and Josh) rip on each other. Michael O'Neil's recollections were amazing and the level of detail he had and still recalled spectacular.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the interviews, will most definitely listen to them again, but yeah I wish they'd gone back and done an episode of just them digging into the two ITSOTG epis. It just felt like they'd glazed right over the actual episodes for the most part.

• Love 1

Josh & Hrishi (& apparently the company which produced the lapel pin) are now selling a T-shirt to go along with the lapel pin. The graphic on the shirt relates to "the signal" that was created to let Toby know if the problems with his brother's space shuttle flight were cleared up, or not, during Jed's ill-fated televised town hall meeting at the original Newseum site in Rosslyn,VA. The only thing is, the shirt (or at least this batch of shirts) will only be available for 2 weeks. So if you think you want it, you gotta get it NOW. The details are here:

https://cottonbureau.com/products/the-signal

Also... Emily Procter is on this week's podcast, talking about Ainsley Hayes with Josh & Hrishi.

I just finished listening to last week's TWWW episode for "In This White House."  Emily Procter is with Josh and Hrishi for the entire podcast and she is absolutely delightful!  I loved her portrayal of Ainsley Hayes.  It was interesting to discover that Ainsley was originally written as being from Montana, but North Carolina born and bred Emily Procter said she HAD to play her with a southern accent.  Sorkin ultimately gave in and had Ainsley hail from NC too!  There are lots of little fun facts like that in the podcast.  

If you're not listening to the podcast, you really should.  It has gotten better and better.  I look forward to it each week.  Don't know if I'll still feel that way when we get to S5 and S6 but for now, it's wonderful.

• Love 1

Today (Monday) is the LAST day to order either/both of the TWWW shirts--the "Signal" T-shirt, depicting the hand signal worked out to tell Toby if the issue with his brother's space shuttle flight was fixed during the Rosslyn town hall meeting, &/or the The West Wing Weekly University sweatshirts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WestWingWeekly/status/803280886812667905?p=v

If you're interested in the women's shirt (presumably just the T-shirt), per a Tweet from the manufacturer, those run very SMALL so order them 2 SIZES LARGER; also, the sweatshirt runs LARGE, so order 1 SIZE SMALLER.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cottonbureau/status/803397178542723072?p=v

For those not following The West Wing Weekly, this week Josh and Hrishi did a Big Block of Cheese podcast where listeners asked interesting questions and the hosts responded.  Two of the segments would be topics we could have a field day with here on PTV.
First, a listener asked J&H to cast a re-boot of The West Wing.  Josh was quite predictably unprepared but I did like his choice of Denzel Washington to play the President.  Hrishi, OTOH had obviously put a great deal of thought into his re-casting and as an homage to an Adventure Time segment, cast a gender-swapped version.  You can see his suggestions in this photo from TWWW website.  I think he did quite well.  I especially like LMM in the CJ role.  If you're not subscribed to the podcast, you can listen to it at this link:
http://thewestwingweekly.com/episodes/003
The second interesting question asked for, in essence, a West Wing prequel, concentrating on the background of one of the existing characters.  Something else I think we could all have a bit of fun with here.
TWW-GenderSwapped.png

• Love 3

Is anyone else going to their live show in San Francisco this Sunday?  They'll have Bradley Whitford as a guest and are talking about "The Stackhouse Filibuster."  I just happened to see the tweet when they first announced and scored a ticket, I think they're sold out now. 

1 hour ago, Nancybeth said:

Is anyone else going to their live show in San Francisco this Sunday?  They'll have Bradley Whitford as a guest and are talking about "The Stackhouse Filibuster."  I just happened to see the tweet when they first announced and scored a ticket, I think they're sold out now. 

so jealous! you'll have to tell us all about it!

I would love to keep listening to this but I took offense to Josh's Meryl Streep comment on twitter (that I didn't realize was a joke) and he proceeded to block me without engaging me and then his followers ganged up on me. He also lost hundreds of other followers in the process. I'm finding it hard to support him since then.

On 1/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, maraleia said:

I would love to keep listening to this but I took offense to Josh's Meryl Streep comment on twitter (that I didn't realize was a joke) and he proceeded to block me without engaging me and then his followers ganged up on me. He also lost hundreds of other followers in the process. I'm finding it hard to support him since then.

Yeah for all of Josh's comments on Trump, his reactions in the comments on their site and on Twitter are pretty damn childish. Heaven forbid you engage and let someone know you were joking or you know ignore a comment no let's just be an a$$.  That's why I don't follow him and why I don't post in their comments section. I enjoy the podcast for what it is, especially the guests that Hrishi finds, and the other actors but Josh does get under my skin sometimes.

I don't know how many people are actively following The West Wing Weekly podcast but I have to say that the last three episodes have been terrific and are worth listening to even if you're not a podcast regular.  The episodes in question are:
2.21: 18TH AND POTOMAC (WITH OLIVER PLATT)

It's the penultimate episode of Season 2. Oliver Platt (@OliverPlatt) joins Josh and Hrishi to discuss his role as Oliver Babish.

2.22: TWO CATHEDRALS (PART I, WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL AND MARY GRAHAM)

We present the first of two episodes of our podcast discussing the Season Two finale. In this episode, we're joined by West Wing writer / producer Lawrence O'Donnell (@Lawrence), aka Jed's father, Headmaster Bartlet. Plus, Mary Graham, author of Presidents' Secrets: The Use and Abuse of Hidden Power tells us all about how presidents have hidden the truth about their health from the American people.

2.22: TWO CATHEDRALS (PART II, WITH AARON SORKIN AND KIRSTEN NELSON)

Aaron Sorkin joins Josh and Hrishi for our final episode of Season Two, to talk about his experience writing "Two Cathedrals." Plus, Kirsten Nelson (@NelsonKirsten) tells us about playing the role of the young Mrs Landingham.

All three episodes are excellent, but if you only have time for one, you'll definitely want to hear Sorkin's comments on what has to be in the discussion for "Best Hour of Episodic Television of All Time."  (Of course, I'm biased!)

• Love 1

Sars and Wing were on this week's to discuss TWoP and the infamous LemonLyman storyline from S3's "The Poet Laureate."

Oddly, three years after missing the party, that's how I found out about this place's existence! ;)

• Love 1

I remember the incident well.  I remember "ABS" being yelled at for things like signing his name to posts and such. It was just bananas.  I wish there was an archive somewhere of that, and other industry people like "Whojackie" participation on TWoP.

42 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

I remember the incident well.  I remember "ABS" being yelled at for things like signing his name to posts and such. It was just bananas.  I wish there was an archive somewhere of that, and other industry people like "Whojackie" participation on TWoP.

The creators of Numb3rs posted on the forums there too at times. It was exciting. :)

10 minutes ago, Aethera said:

It'll be interesting to see if Josh comes over, as promised, and meets our very own mod, @MuuMuuChainsmoker :)

:)  

I enjoyed Tara and Sarah's segment a lot, but I'm not sure I'm on board with Josh and Hrishi's assertion that the whole incident reflected well on Sorkin because it showed how much he cares what people think.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

:)  

I enjoyed Tara and Sarah's segment a lot, but I'm not sure I'm on board with Josh and Hrishi's assertion that the whole incident reflected well on Sorkin because it showed how much he cares what people think.  

Agreed. I think that's not a great quality, myself.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

They were also being super careful not to engage on the "Sorkin is bad at writing for women" point too.   So I guess Malina knows where his bread is buttered. 

They've talked about that a few times before. It feels like Malina will go up against anyone, really. I doubt Aaron is listening...although considering he posted here, maybe he is.

• Love 1

I remember posting on TWOP and seeing Sorkin's posts, and  lmao at this episode of TWW.  

I have told friends who watch TWW about it and they cannot believe Aaron would go online and argue with people about the show. I want to make them listen to this podcast and be all "SEE I TOLD YOU!!!"  It's hilarious to hear Tara & Sarah discuss this.   

Josh & Hrishi do not give Aaron any breaks on how misogynistic the men in TWW were toward women.   At least on the podcast they'll groan at the misogyny and obvious sexual harassment. 

Sorkin's writing for women didn't seem to get any better with age. Example "The Newsroom".  

All this being said, I do love The West Wing for the idealistic view of politics, that some good people can come together and get great things done for the country. 

Edited by teddysmom

I freakin L O V E D their segment and wanted it to go on longer!

And I was on the TWOP boards when it happened and let me assure you, that Sorkin did not come off well, particularly in his Season 1 fight with Rick Cleveland or the sexism discussion. He came off as a thin skinned, petty little person. When his arrest for drugs surfaced, people assumed that it explained his behavior, which was becoming increasingly erratic, with reports coming out of set that he was finishing scenes as they were being shot.

While I enjoy this community, I still miss TWOP's long form recaps.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

Me too! Any time I binge watch an "old" show I missed, I read them while I watch and get so much more out of the viewing experience.

Are they still available?

Yes! If you go to Brilliant But Cancelled you can get to the archived recaps.  I think the forums, alas, are lost to history.

Yes, yes they are. Wing Chung and Sars were very careful not to say much about that on the pod. The state of that site is sad.

ETA:

Here is the recap of the Poet Laureate episode. Interestingly, Deborah, the best TWW recapper among the many excellent ones, did not do this one.

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/show/the-west-wing/the-us-poet-laureate/

Edited by AriAu
Info found
On 8/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, Eeksquire said:

Yes! If you go to Brilliant But Cancelled you can get to the archived recaps.  I think the forums, alas, are lost to history.

I wasn't on TWOP until later but I've used the internet way back machine to read the forums.  I used to have out bookmarked but somehow have lost it.  I found the link on here though so it's somewhere in an old post, you might be able to search and find it. 

• Love 1
On 8/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, deaja said:

The creators of Numb3rs posted on the forums there too at times. It was exciting. :)

I remember someone saying Rob Lowe posted there every so often too. But I forget the screen name he used; it might've referred to Sam Seaborn in some way.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, twinkietwin94 said:

I wasn't on TWOP until later but I've used the internet way back machine to read the forums.  I used to have out bookmarked but somehow have lost it.  I found the link on here though so it's somewhere in an old post, you might be able to search and find it. 

Here you go:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140401072211/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/forum/598-the-west-wing/

8 hours ago, AriAu said:

Well, there goes my productivity for the day.

I will save it for tonite, but I looked quickly and it was fun to see some of those old names

Well then, my job is done here. ;-)

I know I was having a conversation somewhere--it may have been FB or Twitter--where someone asked if Mark Harmon might be a guest on TWWW podcast about "The Black Vera Wang" episode.  The answer is yes.

This is the current ep of the podcast & I've read social media comments that it's well worth a listen, & many people wished it could've been longer (it was about an hour long).

By the way Martin's wife, Janet, made the shirt Joshua's wearing. The word you can't see is "country"... spelled without the O.

58 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

This was a DELIGHT. what a treat Martin Sheen is. 

I've been wondering where you were!!!! Talk about a treat- it's @betsyboo!