Type keyword(s) to search

The West Wing Weekly & Other The West Wing Podcasts

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I've been wondering where you were!!!! Talk about a treat- it's @betsyboo!

awwwww, thank you. Took the summer off from TV (except for the always fun Battle of the Network Stars). Read 50 books (for real. I read fast.). And work is ... work. But I'm sort of back - dropped a lot of shows and am only keeping those that bring me joy. This being one of them! :-) TY for your kind words! XO

On 10/8/2017 at 6:53 AM, betsyboo said:

This was a DELIGHT. what a treat Martin Sheen is. 

I'm not a regular TWWW listener, but I really enjoyed this, too. I thought it was interesting that, given the time spent talking about Vietnam, the hosts didn't bring up Apocalypse Now. Not that it was needed, and as personal connections go, his talking about his brother was certainly more meaningful. (Since they discussed Sheen's real-life political activism, I'll relate my cousin's story: He uses a wheelchair, and in the mid '80s, when he was college aged, he was at an anti-nuclear protest at the Nevada Test Site, where at one point the protesters were walking up a hill with some uneven terrain. A man offered him an assist, and later, my cousin's friend said to him, "Wow, it's cool that Martin Sheen helped push you up that hill." My cousin's response: "Who's Martin Sheen?")

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I'm not a regular TWWW listener, but I really enjoyed this, too. I thought it was interesting that, given the time spent talking about Vietnam, the hosts didn't bring up Apocalypse Now. Not that it was needed, and as personal connections go, his talking about his brother was certainly more meaningful. (Since they discussed Sheen's real-life political activism, I'll relate my cousin's story: He uses a wheelchair, and in the mid '80s, when he was college aged, he was at an anti-nuclear protest at the Nevada Test Site, where at one point the protesters were walking up a hill with some uneven terrain. A man offered him an assist, and later, my cousin's friend said to him, "Wow, it's cool that Martin Sheen helped push you up that hill." My cousin's response: "Who's Martin Sheen?")

I'm assuming your cousin's friend proceeded to tell your cousin that Martin's 1 of our better--some might say even "legendary", or "highly-acclaimed"--actors?

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove a reference that was irrelevant because it hadn't occurred at the time of the incident I'm posting in response to. Then to add missing punctuation.

I keep forgetting to mention, though maybe some already know... In the section with the Posse Comitatus podcast/podcast download link, there's also a download link to a version of the TWW theme done by a group called The Swingles, which is an a capella group based in England. They say it's FREE, though they also ask if you download it you make a donation to a charity called Justice for Vets in return. I suppose that's on the "honor" system though. I heard at least part of it somewhere on social media but I've forgotten where, unfortunately. I think it's interesting & I'll probably download it when I can get to my laptop again (I post mostly from my iPhone because it's easier since my health went in the crapper) so I can put it in my iTunes, if it's still available then (though I assume it's a reasonably permanent link).

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'm assuming your cousin's friend proceeded to tell your cousin that Martin's 1 of our better--some might say even "legendary", or "highly-acclaimed"--actors?

I presume! He'd certainly been made aware by the time he told me about the experience, not long after the fact.

2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I presume! He'd certainly been made aware by the time he told me about the experience, not long after the fact.

That's cool. I was just wondering about it because if he didn't fill your cousin in, he honestly probably should've. And it's cool Martin pushed your cousin's wheelchair on that tricky terrain. I'm a wheelchair user too & I wouldn't mind it if Martin offered to push my chair in a similar situation (I probably actually have a list of a number of celebrities who I wouldn't mind that kind of help from, but I'd probably have to think about it awhile). I love that he offered in your cousin's case. A real gentleman, & compassionate (I think I want that word) too. When the show was on, your cousin could actually tell people the actor who plays President Bartlet pushed my wheelchair once. At least if he's the type to do something like that. I might be; I'm not sure.

• Love 1

I'm pretty far behind in listening to the Podcasts (too much fantasy football prep and too many Crooked Media pods), and today I listened to the one for Night Five, where they had on the employment lawyers to discuss Sam's comments to Ainsley.  I wish they had recorded it now-would have been a much more interesting compare and contrast between Sam's comments (deemed by all 3 as not being pervasive enough) and the real life situations that are coming to light.

Edited by AriAu
On 11/15/2017 at 4:41 PM, BW Manilowe said:

The West Wing Weekly is taking the show on the road in 2018! Dates are scheduled in Dublin & London (tickets may already be sold out for these dates, unfortunately); San Francisco; Washington,DC; Boston & New York City.

Replying to myself because Josh Malina Tweeted that they're going back to SF Sketchfest (as their San Francisco date scheduled early next year). This time, they'll be doing a Big Block of Cheese Day show, in format. Josh says they'll be "hanging around with a wheel of the finest, and inviting some audience members onstage for a snack and a chat." Josh also says, buy a ticket & they'll let you know how to submit questions.

On November 15, 2017 at 4:41 PM, BW Manilowe said:

The West Wing Weekly is taking the show on the road in 2018! Dates are scheduled in Dublin & London (tickets may already be sold out for these dates, unfortunately); San Francisco; Washington,DC; Boston & New York City.

Yay! I got my tickets for NYC, and I. Cannot. Wait.

I ended up in the mezzanine because these things sell out quick, but I'm still a happy camper. I will be showing up wearing my TWWW pin, and generally nerding out big time.

There's a new What's Next?  baseball cap for sale among the merchandise offerings right now. It's available for the next 12 days (or until 11:59PM Eastern Time on December 3rd). There's also a poster, autographed by Josh and Hrishi, & a 2002 World Tour T-shirt for the Band Single-Cell Paramecium, which Donna made up & added to the list of real music acts she told Josh would be playing at the Rock the Vote event at least Bartlet's staff members attended in the episode College Kids.

On 11/17/2017 at 0:27 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Replying to myself because Josh Malina Tweeted that they're going back to SF Sketchfest (as their San Francisco date scheduled early next year). This time, they'll be doing a Big Block of Cheese Day show, in format. Josh says they'll be "hanging around with a wheel of the finest, and inviting some audience members onstage for a snack and a chat." Josh also says, buy a ticket & they'll let you know how to submit questions.

The Twitter account for TWW Weekly Announced that Dulé Hill Is Their Special Guest at SF Sketchfest

If you haven't had the chance yet, set aside an hour and listen to the West Wing Weekly Podcast with Lyn-Manuel Miranda and Tommy Kail.  They geek out like true Wing Nuts and they got so hooked on the show that they didn't even totally realize how much it had worked its way into their heads that many WW flavored lines and terms ended up in Hamilton.

• Love 4
On 11/17/2017 at 4:02 PM, A.Ham said:

Yay! I got my tickets for NYC, and I. Cannot. Wait.

I ended up in the mezzanine because these things sell out quick, but I'm still a happy camper. I will be showing up wearing my TWWW pin, and generally nerding out big time.

How did you like it?!? I was down in the orchestra, but it looked like the balcony was pretty close up, too. A nice intimate space for that conversation, I thought. I really got a kick out of when Josh had to explain to Aaron some of the TWWW-isms such as "PRESIDENT Bartlet", and when the audience corrected 57th, etc. It's a hard-core group of fans.

• Love 1

Oh, thanks for asking! I loved it, and so did my nephew who went with me. Had a great time and I wish I could re-live it all over again (alas, no video/pictures allowed, but obviously we will have the podcast soon enough).

I liked that it was a four-season retrospective instead of a one-episode. And because we had Aaron, we had light, funny moments as well as touching moments; I loved the surprise guest as well (trying not to spoil too much). 

Not to go too far off the trail, but  you see, I discovered this show during its third episode of the first season; stumbled on it by coincidence, really. I even remember thinking for first few minutes that it had the feel of a movie that was too good for television. I just really fell in love with it, as an idealistic college freshman. To think that all these years later I would be in the same vicinity as its writer was very exciting to say the least. I loved the pace that Josh and Hrishi kept--they were great as per usual. And to be in a room filled with people that had been fans of the show, was icing on the cake as well. Delightful evening all around.

Edited by A.Ham
  • Love 2

@StatMom and @A.Ham  Thanks for sharing your experiences from TWWW's New York show.  Sounds like it was great.  Looking forward to hearing the podcast!

This item isn't directly about a TWW podcast, but Bradley Whitford is this week's guest on the WTF With Marc Maron podcast.  
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-909-bradley-whitford

Bradley Whitford was a huge Key and Peele fanboy who was desperate to work with them. But he didn't know what to think when Jordan Peele asked him if he liked horror movies. It turns out Bradley wound up starring in one of the most talked about movies of the last decade. Bradley tells Marc about the making of Get Out, as well as his experiences on Transparent, The West Wing, Studio 60, and what it was like to make movies with Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood. 

• Love 2

Listened to the Tommy Schlamme pod for 25 while I was out for a run. Don't what was more unpleasant-the run or being reminded that 25 was the end of the greatest run ever on TV. Great insights by TS and he responded to all the questions....but no one asked how he and AS would have solved the situation.

Appreciated Malina's insight that the storyline of the good guys stepping aside for other was a set up just like the lines in Sports Night about "if you cant make money off of Sprots Night, then you should get out of the money making business", even if TS indicated that wasn't the intent this time!

• Love 1

I have long held that, other than The Supremes (which I think AS wrote for Deborah Cahn....or at least she was channeling him), Season 5 never happened (I have the dvds for every other season)-is the podcast still good?