Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

(edited)

I enjoy watching "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS.   Sometimes it gets a little rah-rah for me, but I enjoy the exposure to different musicians and musical styles.  And a time to appreciate all of those who have helped to keep us free.

Edit:. The Beach Boys!!!  ?

Edited by Thumper
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I enjoy watching "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS.   Sometimes it gets a little rah-rah for me, but I enjoy the exposure to different musicians and musical styles.  And a time to appreciate all of those who have helped to keep us free.

Edit:. The Beach Boys!!!  ?

I like A Capitol Fourth, too.  Then I'll watch the one from New York City with the sound off until the fireworks start.  They always have a bunch of over-sexed jerks I've never heard of as musical guests and a plethora of yammering talking heads.  STFU and play some John Phillip Sousa marches.  And get off my lawn!

2 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Did you look at Calvin Klein? CK has dressy full length pants for office wear. I have several pair and really like them.

Only the section at Macy's. I'm plus-sized, so have fewer options to start with. And even in the CK and Ralph Lauren sections, I couldn't find any. Or they had a small section, but they were "boyfriend" or tapered legs, or similar cuts. I have heavy calves, so need a boot or trouser cut, or I'm tugging down the leg every time I get up from a chair.

However, I do have to say I didn't do an in-depth search, since it wasn't a necessity. I just checked out Macy's, Penney's, and Lane Bryant for the most part. I'll probably just wait until late August now, when the fall stuff starts appearing online.

38 minutes ago, Fishy said:

wow - who knew John Stamos could play the drums.

I found out when I saw him in Full House and The Beach Boys "Kokomo" video.

3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

They had their final presentation a while ago. She was wearing the One Day Only Clarks sandals, which look a lot nicer than the TSV. 

Okay, thanks.  The ones she is wearing are cuter!

8 hours ago, MichelleAK said:

Only the section at Macy's. I'm plus-sized, so have fewer options to start with. And even in the CK and Ralph Lauren sections, I couldn't find any. Or they had a small section, but they were "boyfriend" or tapered legs, or similar cuts. I have heavy calves, so need a boot or trouser cut, or I'm tugging down the leg every time I get up from a chair.

However, I do have to say I didn't do an in-depth search, since it wasn't a necessity. I just checked out Macy's, Penney's, and Lane Bryant for the most part. I'll probably just wait until late August now, when the fall stuff starts appearing online.

Check out Talbots!

On 7/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, MichelleAK said:

Back from a nice weekend trip to Seattle.  Great concert, and great weather. I didn't do much shopping, but found a nice pair of Sketcher high tops at Ross for $20, and a Baggallini cross-body bag that will be great for travel for $30.

I did look for some slacks for work, but couldn't find ANY. I guess even for office wear, capris are the style for summer. However, even tailored versions are just too casual for me, so I'll have to wait until fall.

I hope everyone is having a relaxing and/or fun 4th!

Glad to see you are back.  Sounds like a good trip.

1 hour ago, SentimentalLady said:

@Stacey1014.  Hi.  I'm waiting for the Mets / Nats game that's in a rain delay.  Do you think it will happen tonight?  

ETA:  Postponed.  No DeGrom for me tonight.?  

I'm more of a Scherzer girl. He and Trea Turner are my baseball crushes. 

Spent the day at Busch Gardens with my younger son until the rain hit. The Q was well represented today. I was wearing my It Cosmetics CC Cream with SPF, my Lug can can purse, my Ryka Velcro sandals and my Fitbit. I logged 12k steps and we were only there for about five hours. 

13 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

I just use an app when I walk for exercise. 

I do this as well, but I must say that it would be nice to have it on my wrist sometimes.  Often my 'working in the yard etc' pants don't have pockets, and I don't like the heaviness of the Otter case clipped on my waistband.  I'm considering a fit bit, but I keep wavering on which model to choose, plus the prices seem to go up and down like the stock market. 

22 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I do this as well, but I must say that it would be nice to have it on my wrist sometimes.  Often my 'working in the yard etc' pants don't have pockets, and I don't like the heaviness of the Otter case clipped on my waistband.  I'm considering a fit bit, but I keep wavering on which model to choose, plus the prices seem to go up and down like the stock market. 

Me too.  And my house is four floors so I would like to see how it does on stairs.

I try to wear my ugly cargo capris for yard work so I have my phone.

3 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

A while back I posted a photo of my 2 whimsical duck patio figures I purchased 10 years ago. It took me awhile to remember the company name. I found them online again. Collections Etc. http://www.collectionsetc.com/ I like their Halloween items. 

This little kitty and frog downspout is $14.99. The green frog is $12.99. 

large_30542.jpg

large_34397.jpg

So cute.  I love Collections and have a few things from them.  I have 2 ft. walkway christmas trees that still work after 10 years.  

Hello! Wow an entire week has passed since I posted here. Hope the weather is calmer but still showers in the forecast!

Here is a picture of Kody - he has grown so much in one week!! he is now 6 weeks old and weighs 11 lbs.

Joe goes in Monday for surgery to put a filter (not the word I want) in his leg vein prior to surgery later in the week, to catch the blood clot should it move.

Thursday is his surgery to remove the tumor on his liver.

I will pick up little Kody a few days after he is home from surgery.

Counting on the power of puppy therapy to help in the healing process!

19756527_826432330849354_5518870102189523927_n.jpg

Harvested my first pickling cucumber today just in time for lunch.  Yummy for my tummy.  Too bad the tomatoes can't get with the program and turn red at the same time - Drat - Hee!!

1 minute ago, Fishy said:

Harvested my first pickling cucumber today just in time for lunch.  Yummy for my tummy.  Too bad the tomatoes can't get with the program and turn red at the same time - Drat - Hee!!

So jealous. The hubby does an awesome garden, but he didn't get to do one this year since he's been gone. He's talking retiring from the military soon, so maybe we'll have a nice garden next summer. 

Awww cute puppers!!  No kidding has he grown!! - amazing - enjoy him (I'm sure you will) and I truly hope he helps in the healing process  :-))  All the very best wishes for Joe ((hugs))

2 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

Wow! You can already see the handsome and noble adult German Shephard that puppy is going to grow into. Congratulations, Cricket-- you picked a good one! 

Thank you. Joe said that this morning, thought he was going to grow into a great example. Our dear Max was a bi color, mostly black, tan paws and he was longer and leaner than this one is going to be.

That's a great looking puppy. I am very, very jealous. I love GSDs. His color will get a little lighter as he matures, as more of the tan appears.

You've got a lot on your plate, Cricket, with Joe's recovery and a new pup at the same time.

I apologize I have forgotten the master gardener here... Love gardening too. My folks owned a landscaping company when I was growing up so probably in my DNA now. A few shots... being in the country, for my gardens to even "show" they have to be rather large. They are running the entire length of my driveway and around the corner of the house. Playing in the dirt helps keep what little sanity I have left.

IMG_0339 (2).JPG

IMG_0345 (2).JPG

Cricket, good luck with the "filter" in Joe's leg and his surgery.

Kody is adorable and has a cute name. He sure has grown in a week. 

What a wonderful garden! Kody is going to have a fabulous time sniffing everything and playing everywhere. I'm trying to picture a tennis ball by those rocks, lol.

10 hours ago, Cricket said:

Hello! Wow an entire week has passed since I posted here. Hope the weather is calmer but still showers in the forecast!

Here is a picture of Kody - he has grown so much in one week!! he is now 6 weeks old and weighs 11 lbs.

Joe goes in Monday for surgery to put a filter (not the word I want) in his leg vein prior to surgery later in the week, to catch the blood clot should it move.

19756527_826432330849354_5518870102189523927_n.jpg

Kody brings back memories for me.  My Dad got me a GS puppy when I was very young.  We called him King.  I also remember him as being a handful - the stories I could tell. They do grow up so fast!  Enjoy.  

And your garden is lovely.  Do you have a pond on your property?

Finally, I am keeping good thoughts for you, Joe and your family this coming week and beyond.   I understand how you're feeling.  I know it's so hard.  Stay strong and keep the Faith.  You're in my prayers.

Julie Hunter - We had a white GSD when I was a kid and his name was King as well! He too was a handful. He used to hide my mom's laundry all over the basement in all the nooks and crannies! Can you imagine?!

No we don't have a natural pond on the property - I wish! I dug out a hole to install a pond. WHAT a job! I wanted it bigger, but this house sits on shale and rock and you can't dig anywhere without hitting rock. Neighbors around the bend had to have a company come in with explosives and blast the ground to clear it for an inground pool! I love the sound of the waterfall in my little pond.

Thank you so very much for your thoughts and prayers. Means a lot, really.

I think I might take nicer sunset/sunrise pictures than Miss LR... but wish to remain humble.

It is an obsession of mine, so I can never fault her for doing it as well.

IMG_0039 (2).JPG

IMG_0038 (2).JPG

IMG_0028 (2).JPG

IMG_0045 (2).JPG

DSCN1619 (2).JPG

DSCN0744 (3).JPG

Unfortunately I had to crop the daylights (ha!) out of them to make them fit so they are not as clear and nice as the originals. The last was taken with my pocket Nikon the others with my Canon Rebel - which by the way - I bought on QVC 2 years ago. Almost killed me to spend 600.00 on it but ONLY because I got those 6 easy pies!

2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Cricket, good luck with the "filter" in Joe's leg and his surgery.

Kody is adorable and has a cute name. He sure has grown in a week. 

What a wonderful garden! Kody is going to have a fabulous time sniffing everything and playing everywhere. I'm trying to picture a tennis ball by those rocks, lol.

Thank you very much! :)

We just celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary yesterday.

I am sure I will be telling Kody to get out of the garden - a lot,. His breeder and his wife have lovely gardens and they were chasing puppies out of them when we were there a week ago!

(edited)

Oh gosh our King.  Back in the day my Mom cleaned out her closet.  King got into that garbage and scattered it all over our front lawn.  My dad came home, ran into the house, hollering that King must of attacked a woman!  Her belongs (shoes, purse, hat, stockings, etc.) are all over our front lawn! 

What chaos!

Good memories...!

Edited by Julie hunter

Cricket, those are beautiful pictures of your garden and the sunset. I need to take some garden pics too.

Kody is darling! He'll grow up to be a very handsome dog. I'm enjoying the funny stories about all the mischief dogs get into.

Best wishes to Joe on his leg procedure. Hope it works as intended.

Oh.My.Gosh.   Cricket, those sunset/sunrise photos are gorgeous!!!  Ahhhhhhhh!  Thank you!  (Much nicer than Lisa's.  lol)

Will be thinking of you and Joe this week -- hugs, prayers, and wishes for the best outcome.

14 hours ago, Cricket said:

I apologize I have forgotten the master gardener here... Love gardening too. My folks owned a landscaping company when I was growing up so probably in my DNA now. A few shots... being in the country, for my gardens to even "show" they have to be rather large. They are running the entire length of my driveway and around the corner of the house. Playing in the dirt helps keep what little sanity I have left.

IMG_0339 (2).JPG

IMG_0345 (2).JPG

So beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!

PS & BTW - I am the Master Gardener, although this year, deer seem to be the only "masters" in my yard.  Last week, right before July 4th, I woke up to find all of my daylilies, oriental lilies, hibiscus (both the perennial kind and the tropical kind I put in pots on my patio) & a prized salvia were a snack for deer.  No mid season crescendo for my garden this year.  First time it's ever happened to me, and I'm not in a rural area. 

22 hours ago, Cricket said:

You have a busy, stressful week ahead of you.  You and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

You have a busy, stressful week ahead of you.  You and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks you, LMSJ. I just am glad they are acting quickly this time and get that thing off his liver asap. Getting the puppy soon after is just a sweet desert!

1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

PS & BTW - I am the Master Gardener, although this year, deer seem to be the only "masters" in my yard.  Last week, right before July 4th, I woke up to find all of my daylilies, oriental lilies, hibiscus (both the perennial kind and the tropical kind I put in pots on my patio) & a prized salvia were a snack for deer.  No mid season crescendo for my garden this year.  First time it's ever happened to me, and I'm not in a rural area. 

I THOUGHT it was you! Seriously! But didn't want to offend if I made a mental mistake. My in-laws live in a pretty urban area in Conn. and they have MORE DEER in their neighborhood than I have in my back yard! I kid you not. It is just because the natural woods down there are being destroyed. They live near Yale University. We had deer in our driveway a few months back, but before the gardening season. We have security cameras which is why we knew this. They come in, when they do, about 2 am. MY BIG ISSUE is with the chipmunks. I LOVE the little cuties, but they are way out of control now. Big time. They have destroyed several of my Oriental lilies by digging under the root system. It gets expensive replacing all my perennials. So I bought a box of NASTY moth balls and I have been dumping them in any new hole I find in my garden. And... I hate to admit... Joe has had to pick a few off... Last year they destroyed all my cherry tomatoes. I would not mind if they took a couple, but they don't. They sample them ALL. One even somehow managed to get into my house and that scares me as they can chew electrical wires. We had a family of red foxes in the back yard last month, but they like to go after my wild rabbit population, I wish they would leave the rabbits alone and start dining on a few chipmunks.

Good Sunday Morning to everyone! Sending good thoughts and prayers out to those of you who are going through difficult times. I love reading about your gardens and pets. @Cricket please give that beautiful puppy an extra squeeze from me. I grew up in a family that loved gardening and pets but the gardening DNA skipped me although I do have an Australian Cattle Dog who rules our house. The best part of a stressful day is when I come home from work and he basically knocks me down into a chair so he can crawl up on my lap and tell me all about his day.

Thanks VirgoGirl!

Just came inside from edging around a rock wall and planting/moving flowers and mulching. I keep thinking as a member of the past 50 club, I probably shouldn't be doing this LOL! I am just not smart enough to figger that out yet! Oh well, some yogurt, 2 aspirin and a bottle of water and it is off to the couch to rest the muscles and watch the Yanks lose again! Ha!

11 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Grrrr, the deer. I live in a densely populated Atlanta suburb (actually it's more "intown" now than suburban), and we have lots of deer due to destruction of their habitat by developers. This year the deer haven't eaten many of my plants, thank goodness, but last year they ate a whole big rosebush full of booms, and all of my impatiens.

Your deer ate salvia? Damn. I was just reading an article that said salvia wasn't attractive to deer because it has a fragrance they don't like. But every article also cautions that deer will eat any plant if they're hungry enough. I am trying a method of deterring them by mixing a small amount of human urine with water and sprinkling it around the plants.  Have also tried saving some hair from my hairbrush and putting it on the ground next to the plants. I don't know whether those things worked, or whether the deer passing through my yard just weren't very hungry.

In a couple of counties north of mine, people are seeing bears. The bears love birdseed, and are going from yard to yard cleaning out the bird feeders. One man stood out in his yard making a video of the bear. But the bear was so intent on getting the birdseed that it just ignored the man and kept on gorging.

I live in northeast Alabama, not too far from Atlanta area and we too are having bear sightings in the area. No deer in our subdivision but many within 5 miles or so. Squirrles and chipmunks abound. We feed the birds which does attract everything else. Bunnies, raccoons, opposum, and of course, hawks after the wildlife. We are in a city but development takes away their habitat and they get boxed in. There are several undeveloped wooded areas close so they roam at night.

Deer are a major problem in my Philadelphia suburb too. I have many hostas, which the deer love. I've had good luck with Liquid Fence. You spray it on everything you want to keep the deer away from. It smells terrible, but it works if you spray it regularly. We do it once a week. Supposedly after a few weeks you only have to do it once a month, but we continue to spray it weekly. So far, it's mostly kept the deer away. There was a little bit of nibbling when the hostas and other plants first started coming up out of the ground, but not much since. It might be worth a try.