Type keyword(s) to search

Adam Levine: He Moves like Jagger

• Start Topic

He looks like Bee's creepy Uncle in that pic...lol  Well if they wanted to get ratings this should help with people turning in just to see what Blake will say!

I like it. The only problem is that if he comes on the show with it, Blake is going to go into overdrive.  I don't think he will be able to contain himself.  It's just giving Blake too much material to tease him with.  

From S07.E05: Blind Audition thread:

hincandenza, on 10 Oct 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:
I loved Amber, and I agree she seemed to get shortchanged in Adam's coaching.  But for me that moment was a couple of seasons earlier when he engaged in some juvenile behavior with Tony Lucca aimed against Christina, including the smirking-like-a-7th-grader performance of "99 problems (but a bitch ain't one)" near the end of the season.  That whole load of rubbish was just painful to watch.

Noreaster, on 10 Oct 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:
See, most of these seem to be about not liking Adam's personality.  And being annoyed that Amber was not his favorite.  Not really much to do with his coaching. 

Just a couple of other things:

Uneven battle pairings have been done by all the coaches.  Assigning a song that is in one contestant's wheelhouse and not the other's. Focus on Adam all you want, but Blake and Cee Lo have done them a lot too.

"Skyfall" wasn't the first time Adam assigned an Adele song.  Amanda Brown did an Adele song too.  Don't remember accusations of Adam throwing her under the bus.  By the way, "Skyfall" was originally assigned to Sarah.  Amber was given Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know".  They switched.  I remember all the Amber sabotage theories until people found this fact out.

I watched Season 1 and 2 via You tube, and as I was a huge pre - Moves Like Jager Maroon 5 fan I hoped that just watching snipets of the performances were making him look bad.  It didn't take long after reading TWoP to see that he was really just a big ass bully picking on Christina.  I'd love to actually watch that season but they don't have the previous seasons anywhere.  Damn.

I don't think it was Adam giving her "Skyfall" as it was her remarks afterwards about how the crew helped her so much with it.  I've found that a lot with his contestants.  They don't come out and say he's a jerk, but if you read between the lines you can definitely see it.  I mean no one is going to burn that bridge.  There was one guy that sorta kinda did on that AfterBuzz show and I don't remember where it is right now.  It was a link on TWoP and he talked about being at the same party with him and Adam basically acting like he didn't exist.

I think people can see what they want to see. Many contestants have also said Adam was super helpful to them, and gone out of their way to thank him. If you count one, you have to count the other.

Edited by MangoFed

I think people can see what they want to see. Many contestants have also said Adam was super helpful to them, and gone out of their way to thank him. If you count one, you have to count the other.

Oh Absolutely.  He just seems to be the only one that really has them on the bad side of things too,  Unless they are being super quiet, every single person that has ever been on Blake's team LOVE him.  None of that negative stuff with CeeLo....I've heard some Christina rumblings, but none of them seem as much as Adam.

I watched Season 1 and 2 via You tube, and as I was a huge pre - Moves Like Jager Maroon 5 fan I hoped that just watching snipets of the performances were making him look bad.  It didn't take long after reading TWoP to see that he was really just a big ass bully picking on Christina.  

I don't know.  Relying on internet chatter and speculation to realize someone is a bully is not how I draw conclusions personally.  I watched season 2.  No way did viewers know the entire situation.  But from what was shown on screen, arguably Christina started it by her non-constructive put down of Tony Lucca.  Can't find a video online but just look up his "In Your Eyes" performance and her feedback.  But really all parties were at fault for dragging that out.

Oh Absolutely.  He just seems to be the only one that really has them on the bad side of things too,  Unless they are being super quiet, every single person that has ever been on Blake's team LOVE him.  None of that negative stuff with CeeLo....I've heard some Christina rumblings, but none of them seem as much as Adam.

I really think this is a matter of seeing what one wants to see.  Sorry I don't mean to sound condescending or anything.  But I think a lot of people like to focus on anything potentially negative to Adam.  Adam-hate seems to be accompanied by the feeling that Adam somehow screwed their favorite (Katrina Parker, Amber Carrington, Will Champlin) and not understanding how Adam can possibly prefer his own favorites.  

Personally, I watched and read many of the same links you reference (I was also a regular on the TWoP boards) and come away with very different non-negative interpretations.  Certainly you can argue I have a positive bias.  But it's also really easy to find negative things about the other coaches.  It's just a matter of what you're looking for.  I think many viewers (or at least posters on TWoP and this board) are just not as inclined to hate on the other coaches since their favorites are usually not on those teams.  

I don't know.  Relying on internet chatter and speculation to realize someone is a bully is not how I draw conclusions personally.  I watched season 2.  No way did viewers know the entire situation.  But from what was shown on screen, arguably Christina started it by her non-constructive put down of Tony Lucca.  Can't find a video online but just look up his "In Your Eyes" performance and her feedback.  But really all parties were at fault for dragging that out.

I really think this is a matter of seeing what one wants to see.  Sorry I don't mean to sound condescending or anything.  But I think a lot of people like to focus on anything potentially negative to Adam.  Adam-hate seems to be accompanied by the feeling that Adam somehow screwed their favorite (Katrina Parker, Amber Carrington, Will Champlin) and not understanding how Adam can possibly prefer his own favorites.  

Personally, I watched and read many of the same links you reference (I was also a regular on the TWoP boards) and come away with very different non-negative interpretations.  Certainly you can argue I have a positive bias.  But it's also really easy to find negative things about the other coaches.  It's just a matter of what you're looking for.  I think many viewers (or at least posters on TWoP and this board) are just not as inclined to hate on the other coaches since their favorites are usually not on those teams.  

Normal Internet chatter I wouldn't believe, but TWoP....that was way different then normal Internet chatter.  That message board always attracted the best and the brightest.

Actually my favorites have always been on different teams, so there isn't a "he screwed over my favorite so I hate him" going on with me..  Season three was Adam's team, but I don't think he sunk Amanda Brown, my favorite by a hair over Nicholas.  I think she sunk herself with her 360 by singing "A Natural Woman" when she had built up momentum with the rock side of things.  For once I agreed with Christina, who I can't stand just as much as Adam, that it made me wonder what type of artist she wanted to be.  Season 4 was Michelle Chamuel and Usher, Season 5 Cole Vosbury and Blake, and last year, well last year I really didn't have a favorite.

We'll have to disagree that TWoP was just about the best and brightest.  I thought there was a lot of stupid and unreliable shit there.  But that's true of any internet board.  TWoP was one of the better ones, RIP.  

FWIW, I remember Ddendyl (sp?) from Team Shakira mentioning that she was jealous of friends on Team Usher, because he was way more hands on than Shakira. There seem to be far less vitriol to Shakira though.

I think people are a little unfair with Adam too.

People are making like Amber Carrington didn't like Adam, but she's actually essentially said she idolizes him. They text back and forth. And they are still in contact. (I think Melanie Martinez said something similar.) 

Tess, Dani, and Kristen all said wonderful things about Shakira, so I actually wonder if Shakira stays a little hands off in the pre-live rounds because she's the one that has to do the eliminating. She seemed to be pretty sensitive about that her first season, so that might just be the approach she takes. 

Cee Lo, I'm not going to get into. And yes, there's not a negative thing that has ever been said about Blake or Usher. (Well, with the exception of Holly Henry, but..as much as I like her..I think the girl is a tad bit delusional.) But those two, I think, go above and beyond what the show asks them to do for these contestants. Something maybe Shakira, Adam, or Christina aren't able to do. But I also think it's human nature to get more attached to some contestants than others. Adam and Grimmie were clearly very close, same with Christina and Jacquie. Is it that surprising, that the coaches reach out to those individuals they are closest too after the show? I don't think so. And I'm not going to judge them for it, either. 

I don't think Adam's issues are in how he treats the contestants. Yes, he has a good sales pitch..of course he wants the best talent. 7 seasons in, it's contestants own fault for continuing to go with him, knowing he's going to have the strongest team. The problem with Adam is his occasional WTF decision making. Which, I kind of enjoy, but probably isn't the best thing for the contestants. Last season, I know Usher was holding on to his steal, waiting for Adam's eventual stupid decision. It paid off. Same thing with Adam's song choices. He likes to be creative, and pick something different. But occasionally, he just goes too far and it hurts his contestants. I think that's more enjoyable from a tv perspective..but safe picks tend to win The Voice. 

I think Adam's a mediocre coach in terms of contestants actually improving during the show.  The people that were good stay good and that's about it and more often than not some of his choices have really hurt his contestants.  The biggest objection I have to him is just that I find him really really annoying and sort of an attention whore with the climbing on chairs, ridiculous poems, etc.  He's a good salesman and probably very charming in person, but he's also just really obnoxious.  He makes a lot of his sales pitches about him rather than the contestant, at least the stuff that we're being shown anyway.

For what it's worth, I watched the whole seasons 1 and 2, and I had no preconceived notions about any of the coaches. I thought the whole Tony Lucca situation made Adam look like a huge douche. Not that Christina was completely innocent, but when Adam and Tony kept insulting her (and calling it a "metaphor", which implied she was somehow imagining the whole thing), I actually felt sorry for her. That whole thing made me dislike Adam more than his treatment of any of the contestants.

I did think that artists like Katrina, Amber and Will were treated like red-headed stepchildren of Adam's team, and most of them definitely weren't among my favorites (only Will was, but by S5 I had long become used to Adam's favoritism, so his behavior towards Will actually didn't affect my opinion of him either way). The irony is that I think Adam's indifference towards them probably helped them get farther in the competition than they would have otherwise, so I wouldn't really say he screwed them.

Anyway, I guess my point is that any negative bias I have towards Adam now is based solely on having watched him on The Voice in the past seasons. It isn't based on any internet speculation or my positive bias towards someone else, only on what I have seen. Obviously two people can (and often do) watch the same thing and interpret it in a completely different way, but to me, Adam definitely doesn't come across as a very good coach or a particularly pleasant human being.

Edited by Moonbow

Well, you're taking my internet speculation comment out of context (I was responding to a specific point), but as to the rest of your post...of course, feel free to hate Adam and for any reason you please!

I still don't understand how Adam having favorites automatically translates into him being a bad coach and screwing his non-favorites. And how contestants who choose him in the blinds must be stupid or foolish or must be swayed by his looks or whatever (the numerous posts in the episode threads that prompted my posts on this topic).  It's like there can't be any legitimate reason why someone might like Adam as a coach.

This gets really tiring.  It seems like almost everything he does is viewed with a negative lens.  All the good stuff on his team has to be in spite of his coaching.  I'm sure most people don't mean it that way but it starts coming off as a little offensive.  At least to me, someone who likes Adam's coaching style and usually agrees with his decisions on the show.

Edited by Noreaster

At this point I don't think Adam favors male contestants anymore. I think the risks with picking him, are that 1. He always has a strong team, so even if you're great and you think he loves you, you could very easily get dumped, and 2. His song choices are bad more than they're good. He tends to pick songs he likes or thinks are cool, without necessarily giving enough thought to whether it's the best choice for the artist. Years ago he has a great singer, I think her name was Amanda. One week she was singing Aretha, the next Aerosmith. It gave the audience no idea who she was as an artist.

Edited by Cramps

If I remember correctly, that was Amanda's fault. Adam had gotten her to carve out a niche as a rock singer (Which she was fantastic at) and then when she picked her own song, she picked a classic diva song and it confused the audience. 

• Love 1

I think he's very attractive (at least clothed). But that pose manages to be both suggestive and unflattering and unsexy all rolled into one. Not sure what anyone was thinking with that one.

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

I think it's the combo of lifting the head up and looking at us and the bent knee that makes it look more awkward.   The knee would have to bend I think, but not that much.   However, I'm sure the photographer or someone told him to do all that.

To his credit, this is a nice story (sorry it's Buzzfeed) about an excited fan who happens to have Downs Syndrome that met them backstage recently and got overexcited, so Adam and the band lay on the ground with him to help him relax out.

Thanks for sharing. What a lovely story. I have so much love for people who show acceptance and caring to kids who are differently abled. I'll keep this in mind when Annoying Adam is interrupting everyone on the show. :-)

• Love 1

Glad you enjoyed it, photo fox!

aquarian1 posted a picture of a naked guy (supposedly Adam or maybe just photoshopped to look that way) on a motorcycle several posts above yours.

Ohhhh... I'd forgotten about that picture, so the next comment ("that's not adam in the picture on the bike") I thought was in reply to my post, and then someone else said it and I was thinking "Wait, are people seeing a different picture than I am?!?".  :)

Ok. So I'm relatively sort of new to the voice ( I've watched the past couple seasons starting when Adam won with Tessane Chin...hope I spelled her name right) and I'm not understanding the Adam hate.

I really like Adam as a coach. I think he has favorites yes, but so do all the others, and from what I noticed, at least on the seasons I've watched, while his team only has 2 wins compared to Blake's 4, a singer on Adams team has a good chance of getting to the finale even if they don't win. So clearly he's doing somethin right.

Out of all the coaches, Adam is actually my favorite and I guess from all the comments I've seen I'm just a bit puzzled about the dislike/hate.

I've been irritated with Adam in various seasons (one with Christina before you were watching when he coached a former Mousketeer and it got out of hand with their interaction with her). Other times, too. But there's also always been plenty of things I liked about him.

So far this season I think he's been at his best (aside from the idiotic stomping on Blake's chair last night.) At least what we've seen and heard has been quite pleasant to both his team and the other coaches. He seems a lot less hyper this season, too, which is all to the good.

I actually like Adam well enough on the Voice as a coach. He also seems to have a good sense of humor. But I'm not fond of his personality outside the Voice, especially his interviews. He seems to take himself way too seriously.

adam and blake are actually good friends and that's just how they talk to each other

It's still really annoying though. I've been glad to see it lessened (I credit Pharrell a bit for this--his expression as Adam kept interrupting while Blake was talking to Sawyer was priceless). Sorry to see it return in full bore last night with Adam.

It. Isn't cute or funny or entertaining so I don't understand why Adam apparently thinks that it is. I actually wanted to hear what Blake had to say but he finally just gave up and said, "You were great, man." Thanks, Adam.

(edited)

The thing about the Adam and Blake shtick is that both parties need to play along for it to work. It looks bad when only one is picking on the other, like what happened this episode. Blake wasn't giving back any smart ass comment so Adam looked like a jerk. Blake is smart so I'm sure he has his reasons why he didn't snark back and just kept quiet.

Adam is just like a harmless annoying puppy who demands a lot of attention.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

Can someone please explain the hair (or lack there of) to me. Is this the bald head for a part or something?

He said he was doing an emotional reboot.  Not sure how serious that is but in other words he did it for the hell of it.  Not a good look on him. 

I enjoy the banter between Blake and Adam.  I am just watching now so I have not seen Adam over doing it yet.

Blake was going through a divorce when this was taped so my guess is that he was not up it as much as in the past.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1