Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: A Shot in the Dark

In the season 6 finale, a state trooper is killed in Maine and the getaway car has ties to the mastermind of attacks on Jane. Mysteries surrounding the mastermind's obsession with Jane must be solved to keep her safe and to take down the predator for good.

I don't understand why alice? would shoot the sheriff when she was legally released from prison. It's not like she escaped.

Also, the bit about her not-son visiting her cell mate, wendy, weekly, and then visiting her new cell mate weekly. But didn't wendy get out 2 weeks ago, and alice got out 3 days ago, so the son visited the new cell mate weekly for a week and a half? This plot didn't make sense.

And the poor police dog getting shot. But ... don't handlers usually move with and accompany the dogs?

Very confused by this episode.

• Love 4

I don't understand why this, and every other police show I watch, feels a need to constantly put the main characters in peril. I guess it's supposed to up the suspense, but for me it just rings hollow and silly.

SVU is a prime example; how many people have tried to kill Olivia? On this show, Jane has been in danger a ridiculous amount of times. Maura has had her scrapes too.I know police work is dangerous, but if you watched too many of these police dramas and didn't know better you'd think you're going to spend your life with people planning elaborate schemes to hurt you!

• Love 5

As soon as she shot the dog, I thought, "Oh, it's on."  Yes, I'm one of Those People.

All this brilliant planning, and then in front of multiple cops she just shines the rifle's laser light around in a broad sweep towards her target, asking one of them to notice it?  Please.

My guess is either no one dies, or if they do kill someone off it will be Kiki.  If the actor's death hadn't necessitated killing off Frost, this would be prime time for a big "one of their own is lost" storyline (all due respect to Susie, but she's not in the same league) in which they off Korsak - especially since fictional cops who talk about retiring are often not long for the world - but given the Frost storyline I don't think they'll go back to that well.  So they may go with the tired trope of killing off a cop's wife -- especially since we saw/knew nothing of Kiki for so long, then suddenly they were engaged, and then we saw more of her in two episodes than we had in her previous existence combined (complete with her worrying about his safety).

I cracked up at Jane's reaction to Maura trying to lead her on the dance floor, and then her juvenile, "Hey, what's that?" to escape.  The kilt jokes are beyond old, but the looks on Jane and Maura's faces when Kent twirled around in front of them were worth it.

I never saw the Frankie/Nina vibe other posters have been talking about for so long until this episode (or maybe it started in last week's; I watched them in a row and they've blended a bit).

I may as well mention the things I liked/laughed at in the episode. I liked that Kiki's sister was named Mimi. Made me wonder if they have other sisters named Didi or Gigi (I like patterns in names).

Loved that Jane called Kent "Jughead" after he referred to them as Betty and Veronica.

Loved Nina's wedding hat, until she backed up and we could see the rest of her outfit. The hat was very pretty, but did not go with her jacket and slacks. I thought she seemed disappointed that Frankie's new girlfriend was coming to the wedding.

Kent was funny, especially with the comic book, but the kilt flip was not. I still think there is something off abut him.

• Love 1

I thought [Nina] seemed disappointed that Frankie's new girlfriend was coming to the wedding.

Heartbroken is how I saw it. I must have audibly sighed half a dozen times for her. That's how things always seemed to go for me and my crushes too.

All this brilliant planning, and then in front of multiple cops she just shines the rifle's laser light around in a broad sweep towards her target, asking one of them to notice it?  Please.

Until that moment (when the laser light was noticed by Jane) my daughter and I were assuming a gangster-drive-by style of bullet spray and speculating who would be randomly hit. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

FRANKIE & NINA, Y'ALL! I KNEW it!! Now let's get that boring girl he took to the wedding out of the way. Hey, maybe she'll get killed...a girl can dream.

What I would like to see is Nina wounded and Frankie freaking out a lil too much, enough that Boring Art girl says 'Hey, I think you might be feeling this chick even if you don't wanna acknowledge it, so I'm out. Deuces.'

There's just something fun and flirty about them so I do want Frankie to break her back out. ;)

• Love 3

Whoever put Jane Rizzoli in that awful dress should be fired!  Even if Angie Harmon chose it.  Why not have Jane wear something like the Little Black Dress from her abortive dinner with Joey Grant (S01.E03)?  Instead it's a gravity-defying Sophia Loren lookalike.  Did Sasha Alexander, (SL's daughter-in-law) choose it?

Nina gave Frankie a telescope (because he'd been talking about UFOs)  awhile ago, which he could have used when doing surveillance from Nicole's apartment.  I hope the Nina-to-Nicole girlfriend switch wasn't a racial thing. He doesn't look like Montgomery Clift, but Jordan Bridges is very white bread.

The Alice vs Jane thing makes sense if you follow a Rizzles plot: Jane and Alice got drunk one night at the Academy and fell into bed for great sex.  In the morning, Jane had a but-I'm-a-Catholic-girl panic and ran to confession.  By the time she returned, Alice had packed and left.  Jane went straight...until Maura.

Yes to those who detested the dress they had Angie Harmon in at the ceremony. I love her and she looked awful. Now the dress Sasha Alexander had on I want it was classy and sexy at the same time. But I do not know if I have enough going on upstairs to pull off that look!

Damn Angela and her beau could have stayed in France longer, cringed when I saw her. 

• Love 3
I don't understand why this, and every other police show I watch, feels a need to constantly put the main characters in peril.

It particularly makes no sense when they cut away from the last scene with Korsak looking like he's about to be shot, to scenes from next season with Korsak in them! 

• Love 4

It particularly makes no sense when they cut away from the last scene with Korsak looking like he's about to be shot, to scenes from next season with Korsak in them!

I missed the scenes for next season so I'm glad Korsak survives.  Maybe the shot we heard was Jane shooting Alice - don't know where her gun would have been though - certainly not in her cleavage because that was all exposed. Yes, that was one awful dress.

I really like Kent and I loved his kilt swirl in front of Jane and Maura.  I don't think there's anything 'off' about him, at least I hope there isn't.

• Love 2

I missed the scenes from the next. I am glad it isn't Korsak. That would be too much loss in the same department. I bet it's Kiki, which is sad for him. Can't anyone be happy?

• Love 2

My money is on Kent being involved somehow. He definitely is "off" and so inappropriate.

I assumed there would be several dead, and he might be one. It's an easy way to write out actors who get picked up for bigger roles in other shows.

Disappointing ep for me. Jane is beyond horrible anymore - there was so much that annoyed me about her in this that I can't even remember everything to complain here. I don't know why any of the other characters still want to be around her, let alone why Korsak would postpone his wedding - twice! - for her. As for The Dress, not only was it ugly, but it was so out of character for Jane. She's such a tomboy, why would she choose to wear a dress that showed so much cleavage? I'm a little bit of a tomboy, not nearly as much as Jane, and I personally would never feel comfortable showing so much skin. And considering how Jane had to be pushed into buying the basic LBD in season one, it just rings false to me. YMMV

The writing for the other characters seems to change with the wind, Kent being the prime example. Is he awkward but professional? Standoffish but a secret nerd? Weird but not a bad egg? Outright creepy? He's been all those things this year, I wish the writers would just pick one already. And count me as someone who saw the barest hint of something between Frankie and Nina, and now they're ignoring it (at least on Frankie's end). Frankie and Maura are about the only characters I really like, and we never get enough of either (especially Maura, considering her name's in the friggen title!). Thank goodness this was the season finale - this show is just too much work to watch sometimes.

• Love 5

It's so predictable to kill Kiki right after the wedding. I have another thought:

Ron. In a still I saw of the episode, he's standing right behind Jane and Korsak in the scene. Leading to plenty of Angela cries on Jane and Maura's shoulders scenes.

• Love 2

Ron. In a still I saw of the episode, he's standing right behind Jane and Korsak in the scene. Leading to plenty of Angela cries on Jane and Maura's shoulders scenes.

Oh, God, I hope not. Maybe it was Angela? Probably not. :(

Edited by vera charles
  • Love 1

Jane had to be in the dress and the high heel shoes because the writers keep wanting to turn her into Maura the 2nd. They've been particularly obvious about it the last couple years (the scene in a past episode past where she tried some stranger's high heels on  somewhere comes to mind).

The Suzie thing.... TPTB supposedly told the actress that played Suzie that they were killing the character so they could explore the cast's reactions to grief - which was goofy because they had just done that because of Frost. and 2 - we have heard Suzie's name exactly once in the entire time since then and that was a dream.  Still wondering who the actress upset. 

I really don't like the Kent character, he adds nothing to the show.  Kiki is ok, although she has been trust into the limelight lately, just like Ron.  I agree that this allows the show to kill them off, without any real after affect.

Jane's causing the wedding to be postponed multiple times was the height of stupidity.  Why would she and Frankie even be working the day of the wedding?

• Love 3

I assumed there would be several dead, and he might be one. It's an easy way to write out actors who get picked up for bigger roles in other shows.

Have you heard about him being picked up for something else? Although, these days, some actors can have reasonably large roles in more than one show due to the different timing of the shooting schedules. Dang, I had someone in mind who's in two shows but it's too early and my coffee hasn't kicked in.

When I heard about the son, I thought his existence explained why she dropped out of the academy - that she got pregnant (possibly raped) but couldn't figure how that would have anything to do with Jane.

It seemed to me that we never got a good shot of Frankie's new girl - and that she didn't seem (to me) to be the same actress. It was probably the lack of caffeine, but did anyone else notice that?

I'd forgotten there were more episodes in the summer - so for a moment, I thought the ending of the series was the shot and cut to black.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Have you heard about him being picked up for something else?

No, just speculating.

It seemed to me that we never got a good shot of Frankie's new girl - and that she didn't seem (to me) to be the same actress. It was probably the lack of caffeine, but did anyone else notice that?

I never got a good look either. Maybe a stand-in?

• Love 1

I'd forgotten there were more episodes in the summer - so for a moment, I thought the ending of the series was the shot and cut to black.

IMDb shows Catherine Parker as playing Nicole in both episodes. At the wedding, Frankie's flamboyant dancing and his kissing Nicole shocked me.  They just met!  Was Nina pushed aside because she is an African-American woman?

For a show set in Boston, Jan Nash's R&I is awfully white...and straight.

IMDb shows Catherine Parker as playing Nicole in both episodes. At the wedding, Frankie's flamboyant dancing and his kissing Nicole shocked me.  They just met!  Was Nina pushed aside because she is an African-American woman?

It would be nice if they were so racially unbiased that it didn't occur to them what the optics would be--but that would be more "clueless" than anything. We clearly saw Nina's heart break a little. Maybe the new girl is just a distraction leading up to Frankie and Nina declaring to be each others' soul mates.
  • Love 2