Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Rat Pack

One winter, we had a mouse problem until we found the hole where they were getting in, so Ilana screaming every time she saw the rat was a realistic re-enactment of my reaction too.

Oh, Abbi. Trey? Really? I mean, he's been much nicer to her since she became a trainer but still. It's TREY. Hahaha, I loved that she asked the faux UPS guy if he ever takes corners really fast and then falls out because there's no door.

Lincoln turning the party food into his own personal episode of Chopped was awesome.

Jaime wasn't wrong about that guy's moustache either.

• Love 1

So is Ilana pregnant? In the first episode we saw her take a pregnancy test, and I'm sure there were quick references to pregnancy in episodes 2 and 3 (but I can't remember what they were). And in this episode, she says something about the rat like, 'Aw, she's a single gal trying to raise children, just like me.'

Or maybe I dreamt that. The grossness throughout this episode was pretty distracting.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

I think the bathroom montage at the beginning of the first episode foreshadows a lot of the season.  The rat made an appearance there as well.

I loved this episode but was watching through half-covered eyes when Ilana had the baby rats in her hand.  also the Cats shout out was pretty funny.

I also loved the "drive by" appearance of Ilana's brother to the party.

• Love 1

I loved the random cat scratch marks on Ilana's neck. Plus after all of their efforts the rat was wrapped up in the basket.

I never considered the fact that Ilana might be pregnant but good catch!

What is Ilana's singing a reference to?  It reminds me of something... I don't know why, but I just lose my shit every time she does it.  My partner made a comment about how he loves the callbacks throughout the season that they do - like Abbi's dress in the first season, or Val in the second.  Maybe Ilana being pregnant is the third season one?  I totally missed that, but good call Purist!

So is Ilana pregnant? In the first episode we saw her take a pregnancy test, and I'm sure there were quick references to pregnancy in episodes 2 and 3 (but I can't remember what they were). And in this episode, she says something about the rat like, 'Aw, she's a single gal trying to raise children, just like me.'

Or maybe I dreamt that. The grossness throughout this episode was pretty distracting.

Those maggots in the ceiling actually made me physically recoil. Those, on top of the rat and ratlets had me hiding my eyes for a lot of the episode.

I laughed so freaking hard at "Neither of us are Jews. You should Uber....that's German, right?", Abbi's confusion over being able to swipe left, and that her first instinct when flirting with the UPS guy was "How YOU doin?"

I also need to know where Abbi's flowered dress came from, because I want it for myself.

• Love 1

RE Ilana's pregnancy. She had a positive pregnancy test in the first episode of the season, and then throughout the second episode it was strongly implied that she was having an abortion. But it turned she was having some other procedure, so I thought the whole thing was a fake-out. But now this episode she's identifying with mama rat, so I don't know what's going on.

Jaime wasn't wrong about that guy's moustache either.

I honestly thought the guy was Jack Rackham from Black Sails. I liked when they were hitting it off and Jaime was like, "whatevs with that basket." I also liked at the end when when he called out Illana on her grindr account and said, "I went too far." I like him much more than Bevers because I can't can't believe Bevers most of the time. I kind of felt bad for Jaime that his parents have shunned him.

No reference to Abbi's ass this time, but wow she looked great. I kind of like aggro Abbi. I kind of got the vibe between this episode and the last that the tall female trainer is kind of into Abbi.

This was actually a rather good example of Abbi and Illana being together but separate. 

Normally I'd have watched live, and read comments after 'cause I hate being spoiled, but this time I had to read the thread first to know if I could watch the show, 'cause I am horrifically and historically phobic about any form of rodent, like, can't even watch Stuart Little or see a photo of a cartoon. Snakes, spiders, pshaw. Mickey? Naw, bitch. So needless to say the open in episode 1 freaked me all the fuck out, unexpected as it was. And I'm dismayed now that it's clear that open portends the season and things in it probably weren't one-offs. 

And it sounds like yeah ... not so much.

Would some kind soul prep me? Does the danged thing show up throughout the whole episode? Could I watch everything except when they're at Illana's place and is there enough time to avert one's eyes? Is there a lot of unnecessary (and by that I mean any at all) squeaking to alert one the raton is on the scene that will ruin even listening with my head turned? Will I really have to miss out on Lincoln's take on Chopped??? *sad tears*  The ep has been sitting on my DVR for days now, teasing me.

It sounds nuts but I'm totally serious 'cause I hate to miss even a single episode. Normally my kids would have watched and automatically called to warn me what to avoid, but apparently work and real life is taking priority over watching TV at the moment (where did I go wrong?).

And it seems it's not entirely over for the season. Dammit! I hate the mouse/rat as sitcom plotline! Looking at you last week, New Girl. Why, Broad City, why???

• Love 1

The rat makes several appearances during this episode. The entire first minute is just different situations where Ilana encounters the rat in her day to day life. If I recall correctly, it's from the rat's POV so you don't see the rat the whole time but you know it's there (and it is visible in some shots). The rat also shows itself more than once during the party. I think a few times, one of the characters says they see it but it's actually shown running across the floor a few times too. The worst was near the end when Ilana finds the rat has had babies. I seriously could not even look at those baby rats because I was freaking out so much. If rodents really freak you out, it might be best for you to skip this episode. Or you could fast forward through the first minute and at least watch the scene of Abbi at work. I think the following scene where Ilana and Jaime open the gift basket is rat free too.

• Love 1

I also need to know where Abbi's flowered dress came from, because I want it for myself.

I NEED THIS DRESS! I will not rest until I find it. Please someone help me!

Normally I'd have watched live, and read comments after 'cause I hate being spoiled, but this time I had to read the thread first to know if I could watch the show, 'cause I am horrifically and historically phobic about any form of rodent, like, can't even watch Stuart Little or see a photo of a cartoon. Snakes, spiders, pshaw. Mickey? Naw, bitch. So needless to say the open in episode 1 freaked me all the fuck out, unexpected as it was. And I'm dismayed now that it's clear that open portends the season and things in it probably weren't one-offs. 

And it sounds like yeah ... not so much.

Would some kind soul prep me? Does the danged thing show up throughout the whole episode? Could I watch everything except when they're at Illana's place and is there enough time to avert one's eyes? Is there a lot of unnecessary (and by that I mean any at all) squeaking to alert one the raton is on the scene that will ruin even listening with my head turned? Will I really have to miss out on Lincoln's take on Chopped??? *sad tears*  The ep has been sitting on my DVR for days now, teasing me.

It sounds nuts but I'm totally serious 'cause I hate to miss even a single episode. Normally my kids would have watched and automatically called to warn me what to avoid, but apparently work and real life is taking priority over watching TV at the moment (where did I go wrong?).

And it seems it's not entirely over for the season. Dammit! I hate the mouse/rat as sitcom plotline! Looking at you last week, New Girl. Why, Broad City, why???

The rat is in the whole episode popping up here and there. And there is a scene with rat babies!! I would steer clear, or just listen and not watch the episode.

• Love 2

I'm going to be *that* person and inform everyone that UPS trucks have doors. (I know this from working as a delivery helper one holiday season.) Most of the time, the drivers just don't bother closing them in neighborhoods with several stops because it takes time away from hopping on and off the truck and delivering packages...ALTHOUGH, they are supposed to close the door when driving, and there is a monitor in the door that reports whether the door is closed during driving. Really, there is!

It's a bitch to ride with the door open, though, when it's cold and/or raining. (Well, working in the rain sucks, period.) There is heat on the trucks, but most of the trucks are older, and the heat is lacking. Conversely, in the summer, there is no A/C.

I'm sure you all wanted to know that.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

ElectricBugaloo and HeatherChandler, thank you both so much for the breakdowns. It sounds like this is definitely not the episode for me, and I'm not going to watch, although I may just listen to it.

I really, really hope they aren't going to make it a "thing" throughout the season. So annoyed I'm missing it, because the seasons are short enough. :/

• Love 1

It seemed like the rat situation was resolved this episode. It's not running around her apartment anymore. 

We hope, anyway,  She's been acting weird enough that you never know.

And Abbi has been looking amazing this season.  She always looks great, but this season she's really bringing it.  It seems like she's doing her hair a little differently, and it really suits her.  And she did look good in the dress too.  The one thing that puzzles me is that sometimes she seems like she's taller than Illana, and other times she seems to be either the same height, or slightly shorter.  Maybe it's just the shoes she's wearing or something.

Edited by Ringthane

So I know you're all just dying to know ... :)  and yes, I did  "watch" the episode. Watch = kept my hands in front of my face so I couldn't see anything except the top of the screen, and pretended the squeaking was someone's shoes. Thanks to the heads up I knew what to avoid and how to avoid it, and only accidentally got a single glimpse of a grey blur when my fingers separated briefly. I pretended that was a mop. (Yeah, TMI about the headgames I play to get through these things.)

It was all eyeballs and tops of heads except for Abby and Trey, but worth the effort, especially to see the top of Lincoln's head take on his chef challenge and Jaime's newfound courage.

Forgot to mention in the original post I actually live in NYC so it cut too close to home. I live in fear of the raton in the toilet ala the season opener so keep my lid down all the time and peer carefully before sitting. It's not an urban legend.

• Love 2

The only time I've ever seen a rat in real life was in 1996-1997, when I was dating a guy who lived on Long Island. I saw a rat running alongside the road near the train station--on Long Island, not in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or any other borough.

Now, mice I've seen. We had field mice galore where I grew up in suburban North Carolina. They are very cute. Disgusting, disease-ridden, rabies-carrying vermin, but cute!

• Love 2

So I know you're all just dying to know ... :)  and yes, I did  "watch" the episode. Watch = kept my hands in front of my face so I couldn't see anything except the top of the screen, and pretended the squeaking was someone's shoes. Thanks to the heads up I knew what to avoid and how to avoid it, and only accidentally got a single glimpse of a grey blur when my fingers separated briefly. I pretended that was a mop. (Yeah, TMI about the headgames I play to get through these things.)

I am glad you were able to "watch!"  It was a good episode (rat aside) and I felt bad that you would have to miss it. 

The only time I've ever seen a rat in real life was in 1996-1997, when I was dating a guy who lived on Long Island. I saw a rat running alongside the road near the train station--on Long Island, not in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or any other borough.

I used to live in the West Loop (Chicago) and I was once really craving Taco Bell (inexplicably!) - but the only one I knew of that was close-ish was in a really sketchy area near the United Center.  I decided to go there and I pulled up into the drive-through and began to order... when all of a sudden, I see someone open the door and LET A F-ING RAT OUT!!!!  As if the rat was a regular diner and someone was just opening the door for him!  Oh my god, I peeled out of there so fast, mid order!  Never went back, and they closed up not long after that.  Ewwww!

On another note, I cannot get the song out of my head from the season 3 first episode Two Chainz (the split screen season opener).  "And you should too..."  I didn't like it when I first heard it, but now I am obsessed!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 2
Watch = kept my hands in front of my face so I couldn't see anything except the top of the screen, and pretended the squeaking was someone's shoes. Thanks to the heads up I knew what to avoid and how to avoid it, and only accidentally got a single glimpse of a grey blur when my fingers separated briefly. I pretended that was a mop. (Yeah, TMI about the headgames I play to get through these things.)

It was all eyeballs and tops of heads except for Abby and Trey, but worth the effort, especially to see the top of Lincoln's head take on his chef challenge and Jaime's newfound courage.

Yay, I'm glad you ended up watching this episode! I sometimes hold my hand up to the screen if I'm watching something with lingering gut shots (like hospital shows) if I'm eating. There was something I watched several years ago that was similar to your rat situation. I can't remember exactly what it was, but there was something I wanted to avoid seeing for most of the episode so I ended up taping a piece of paper to the screen of my laptop so that I could only see the top part of the screen because I knew I would be too lazy to hold my hand up for the entire episode. I KNEW as soon as I dropped my hand, I would end up seeing something I didn't want to see so I thought it best not to give myself that option.

Although I live in an urban area, my house is near a park/preserve so we get all kinds of wildlife (deer, foxes, and even turkeys) wandering around our neighborhood. Last year I learned that there is a thing called a kangaroo rat. It's a rat that looks like a kangaroo and it can both run and hop. One night I went opened the front door of the house and saw one of these things in the yard before he ran off. I was like noooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Love 2

I am glad you were able to "watch!"  It was a good episode (rat aside) and I felt bad that you would have to miss it.

Thank you! It was a good one, what I got of it. And I'm a big Food Network watcher, so it was totally fun seeing how excited Lincoln got about pretending he was doing a show. Not that I've ever done that. *cough*

I decided to go there and I pulled up into the drive-through and began to order... when all of a sudden, I see someone open the door and LET A F-ING RAT OUT!!!!  As if the rat was a regular diner and someone was just opening the door for him!  Oh my god, I peeled out of there so fast, mid order!  Never went back, and they closed up not long after that.  Ewwww!

oh my god, ewww ewww ewww ewww ewww!!

Yay, I'm glad you ended up watching this episode! I sometimes hold my hand up to the screen if I'm watching something with lingering gut shots (like hospital shows) if I'm eating. There was something I watched several years ago that was similar to your rat situation. I can't remember exactly what it was, but there was something I wanted to avoid seeing for most of the episode so I ended up taping a piece of paper to the screen of my laptop so that I could only see the top part of the screen because I knew I would be too lazy to hold my hand up for the entire episode. I KNEW as soon as I dropped my hand, I would end up seeing something I didn't want to see so I thought it best not to give myself that option.

Genius. That's what I'll do the next time it's more than a brief thing.

Although I live in an urban area, my house is near a park/preserve so we get all kinds of wildlife (deer, foxes, and even turkeys) wandering around our neighborhood. Last year I learned that there is a thing called a kangaroo rat. It's a rat that looks like a kangaroo and it can both run and hop. One night I went opened the front door of the house and saw one of these things ...

MM7Y3.gif

Edited by SnarkKitty
  • Love 2

Normally I'd have watched live, and read comments after 'cause I hate being spoiled, but this time I had to read the thread first to know if I could watch the show, 'cause I am horrifically and historically phobic about any form of rodent, like, can't even watch Stuart Little or see a photo of a cartoon. Snakes, spiders, pshaw.

How odd.  When people have rodent problems, the advice is often to get a kitty.  But apparently not a SnarkKitty.

My own rat experience was in Manhattan in 1994, in Alphabet City.  It was around 10 p.m. on a Sunday night, and pretty much deserted.  My friend and I were stopped in my car at a light.  A little kid, maybe 10 years old, crossed the street in front of us, across the intersection.  He was holding a loaf of bread, like dangling from his hand.  Both of us just watched him go by, and then simultaneously noticed following a few paces behind him was the biggest rat I ever hope to see.  I love New York City.

• Love 1

We had rats in my house when I was younger (living in a rural area) but our cats took care of them, so it was hardly a big deal. The REAL nightmare? The family of possums that moved into our house. One night, a baby possum got into the room my sister and I shared, and it woke her up, starring right into her face at 1:00 AM. We spent the whole night/morning trying to catch it, until I finally got pissed off, put on work gloves, and grabbed it and threw it into a cage we had set out earlier to try and trap it. We found out later that there was a hole in our cellar, and thats how they were getting in. I told my parents to call exterminators, but no....

Great episode, as always. 

How odd.  When people have rodent problems, the advice is often to get a kitty.  But apparently not a SnarkKitty.

Nyuk nyuk :)

<--- after 3 years without a problem, saw a mouse in apartment at midnight. Bought traps, plugged in electric wall currents and adopted a (wonderful) kitty from a shelter by noon the next day.