Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Prior to driving 200+ miles to go see a dog at a shelter that I might get, I had a couple of phone calls and emails with one of the volunteers who had fostered him for a while.  She was very helpful and generous with her time.

I ended up adopting him and just had him neutered so we were swapping emails about getting the shelter the proper documentation and a general update on how he was doing.

She signs her emails "Delightedly".  I've never meet her in person, but based on our conversations & communications, I believe she is sincere in that.

Wait, is this another new dog?

I spent five and a half hours on Saturday night getting completely lost in a game of Civilization 5.  I didn't really mean to spend that long on it, but it was very satisfying, near the end of the game, sailing a destroyer up to an island controlled by barbarian axemen and going KABLAM. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, EighteenTwelve said:

I didn't really mean to spend that long on it,

Stupid barbarians probably deserved it.

And yeah, the Civilization series will do that to you. Best "One more turn..." games I've ever played.  I did endless amounts of those full evening runs with Civ II (get to railroad, then get to robotics, annihilate everybody) and then again with Civ IV which by the time they added the Beyond the Sword expansion was a beautifully balanced game. 

I've been playing since Civ II.  Thank goodness I didn't discover its existence until after college, because I would never have graduated. 

And the stupid barbarians totally deserved it.  I couldn't figure out where they kept coming from, because I'd cleared them off the continents.  Turns out there were a bunch of teeny little islands in the middle of the ocean.

• Love 1

Going to get my head examined today. Still one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I'm already practicing my story of what's happened to me since our last meeting on January 7th.  This time, I think I'm going to tell it like I'm in an infomercial: "So I got all that. But wait! There's more!"

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

You should incorporate the game show glamour girl hand gestures.

My therapist would find it immensely funny.

Hee hee! Yes, yes I should.  

It's been an interesting month, so I have a feeling my hands will be more of the flailing around variety this time.

I just put a box of fun stuff for kids in the man's van, that is repairing my garage ceiling, right now.  He was supposed to be here Friday but his daughter needed to go to hospital.  I don't know why.  His wife doesn't drive so he had to, his boss let him have the day off.  His boss also forgot to call us but who cares, right?  That sounds pretty important.

I say this because, I bought that damn box of really cool stuff about 6 years ago.  For my youngest son.  A son that is 15 now.  And a typical 15 year old.  (asshole, reminds me of myself at that age, all the damn time!)  Anyway, I obviously never gave him the box.

I'm staring down the barrel that is my birthday this week.  42.  Nothing wrong with that number, it's just a number my only sibling never reached.  She was older than me.  Now, I'm older than she would ever be.   Blows my mind.  

My point is, I got really sick myself.  Last year.  I'm not sure I'd have made it without my dad pushing and pulling me through.  12 months later, after being told I had 3 months left to live, I'm still here.  (All my original parts, too!)  Dads are important.  This man even showed me pictures of his two young girls, in the parking lot of their school.   After I put that box in his van.  

I hope they enjoy that box.

• Love 6

This morning as I was creeping along towards a red light I heard the boom boom of another car's sound system cranked to the max.  I looked over and the driver was just having it:  bopping side to side, snapping her fingers, singing along with full facial expressions.  It was a joy to watch so I hope she didn't see me laughing and think I was mocking her.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 2/4/2017 at 6:58 PM, ParadoxLost said:

There is nothing better than a toddler running at you full tilt and squealing because she's happy to see you.

It's so fun!

It's been 31 years now and I still have a very clear memory of my then two-year-old godson looking out his front window, seeing me walk up the driveway, and jumping up and down and shouting with happiness. His dad came over to see what the ruckus was -- it was either me or possibly he saw a squirrel.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3

Slow drains, ammiright?

Minor triumph indeed, but as I wearily bought yet another bottle of drain cleaner, I was resigned that it wouldn't work just like all the others. Many houses, many states, many clogged bathroom sinks.

And then it totally worked! I was mesmerized watching the water easily swirl down the drain.

(I deliberately didn't look up how we're probably not supposed to use corrosive drain cleaners, so don't harsh my mellow.)

• Love 4

Ok, my peeps, looking for suggestions.   We have received more than 2 feet of snow in the last week (yeah, thanks you lying MoFo groundhog, who said we would have an early spring).  My neighbour will occasionally clear my driveway before I get out to do it myself, perhaps twice a year.   He has done it three times in the last week.  That's above and beyond the call of neighbourly duty.   He's in his 60s, employed (he leaves for work really early, that's why he's out snow blowing before the rest of the street is awake), lives alone since his wife went into a nursing home.  Normally, I would give homemade baked treats to thank some one, but I'm not sure that's his thing.  I'm sure cold, hard cash would be insulting.  I don't know what brand of beer he drinks, otherwise that would be my first choice.  I'm thinking a gift card to the local liquor store.  Any other suggestions? 

• Love 1

Are you sure he drinks?  (I don't and I have a closet shelf full of bottled drinks I'll never open.)  I would lean more towards a gas station gift card especially if his snow blower is gas powered.

• Love 1

Yep, I've seen him and "the boys" drinking beer in the yard while tinkering with their Harleys in the summer (won't be doing that any time soon).   I just can't recall what brand it was.  

My office delayed opening today to allow people time to dig out from the latest wallop.  I just started out, drove less than 5 minutes, then turned around.  Enough adventure for me.

@Quof - your neighbor sounds like a gem!  Nice to hear of someone who goes out of their way to help others.

Since he does it early in the morning, I would suggest some good coffee to start with and an invite to join you for a meal.  Possibly the fixings for a good Irish coffee.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Yep, I've seen him and "the boys" drinking beer in the yard while tinkering with their Harleys in the summer (won't be doing that any time soon).   I just can't recall what brand it was.  

If you can't get the opportunity to just ask him, gift card to the store would be cool. I think just leading with "Hey, what kind of beer do you drink?" would work if aimed at me. Because while I would probably tell you that you don't have to do that for me, I also would accept a response of "Too bad, you've gone above and beyond for me, so thank you."

6 hours ago, Quof said:

Yep, I've seen him and "the boys" drinking beer in the yard while tinkering with their Harleys in the summer (won't be doing that any time soon). I just can't recall what brand it was.

Snoop in his recycling?

• LOL 1
(edited)

Usually, mis-spelled words on signs would be a pet peeve with me, but this morning as I was driving to work--half asleep, not looking forward to what I knew would be a busy day--I saw one that made me laugh.  There was one of those Coca-Cola sponsored cloth banners in front of a gas station that advertised that not only were they now open 24 hours, but that you could get a Sausage 'buscuit' and coffee for $1.99.  It reminded me of the times I would pass by the grocery store (now closed) across the street from the station that advertised specials such as 'cabage' and--my favorite-- 'pork lion'.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I finally got around to buying one of those cheap plastic 'solar toys' (the ones that move via the power of light and are $1 at the dollar stores).  I put it on my desk at work and I've had the best time just glancing over now and then to watch that little pink flamingo flap its little plastic wings.  (And, when the office is really quiet, the wings make a little 'tick tick' sound that's soothing.)  I guess it only takes a dollar to please me!  

• Love 3

My favorite purchase last year was a small digital room thermometer: "See! The temperature may be low but it's still too freaking humid in here!"

It supports my expensive decision to turn on the A/C during the (nominally) winter months in Florida.

• Love 2

Since I've started writing my to-do items on heart shaped post-its, it's amazing how everything on my agenda or task list looks like a fun time waiting to happen :)

• Love 3

About four years ago, I played golf and was matched up with a fun guy named Victor. When we were done, he gave me his card Vic's Heating and Cooling. 

When my hot water heater died 14 months ago, I called him. He did a great job at a completely fair price.  Had him back today to repair some issues with my boiler. Again, great job and fair charges. Plus, he calls me bro while we're talking about things. 

Finding a trustworthy guy like this is an amazing stroke of good fortune. 

• Love 5

I dated a wonderful person right after I got separated who has led one hell of a life. She was abused as a child; her mother literally prostituted her and her siblings out to men. She has survived stage three and stage four breast cancer. She is one of the most interesting and inspiring people I have ever met. We remained friends. I reached out to her just about a year ago because I was about to enter into a friendship with a person who had recently suffered from a traumatic experience. I wanted some ideas of what I should read or learn about to prepare myself.  

Since then, there have been ups and downs. Lots of them. And I've talked to my old friend a bunch of times, and have been able to offer some good advice to her as she's going through a bit of a rough patch right now relationship wise.  One thing that she did for me last year was introduce me to a writer named Amy Ferris.  Amy writes some really terrific stuff for and about women. You can follow her on Facebook. 

She wrote this today. I'm a big fan of it. I know more than one person I wish could soak this in and try to believe it about themselves:

this is what i know
post coffee
pre wine

today is international women's day. so for all my women friends; sisters/sistas, co-conspirators, goddesses & goddasses, buddhas & bodhi's, queens & bad-asses, crazy-asses, SHEroes, Warriors, WOmensches & WOmentors, the fiery & fierce & the mighty ones - this post is for you.

"become a woman of unlimited self-esteem."

that's what he told me a thousand years ago, he, a spiritual friend/mentor, gave me that gorgeous piece of encouragement - he looked me in the eye and said, i want you to become a woman of unlimited self-esteem. i was going through a complete crisis of faith, complete with all the trimmings. all the self-hatred, and bad boyfriend(s), a hemorrhaging bank account and well, i just felt wholly shitty & lost. completely. honestly, i didn't know whether to turn left or right. i could hardly get out of bed. self-loathing had become my companion. and truthfully, honestly, seriously, this was not what i expected to hear. i expected to him to tell me to get a job, wake the fuck up, become more serious about my life, my writing. you know, simple basic get off-your-ass advice, encouragement. instead, he looked me in the eye & he told me to become of women of unlimited self-esteem.

how gorgeous.
how stunning.
how poetic.

it became my mantra, my prayer, the words i repeated over & over & over & over until i could feel them, until they became mine. until i could wear them like a coat. until i could feel them seep into me, deep into me, inside of me, every pore. until i owned those words.

become a woman of unlimited self-esteem.

and yes, holy shit yes, there were days, many days, many fucking days, i did not feel any ounce of self-esteem. not one ounce. not a crumb. not a bite. i felt so lost & so confused, so overwhelmed and underwhelmed and just plain whelmed. but when it hit - when i could finally feel bits & pieces of it taking hold in my soul - and it did, it filled me to the fucking brim. because here's the thing, the rub, the balls out truth: self-esteem will carry you everywhere. you can do anything, become anything, achieve anything. go for the stars & the moon & all that shines & glitters. and "unlimited" well, that means you have some spill over - you are filled with so much grace - a gracious plenty - head to toe.

i wish you all unlimited self-esteem. unlimited. boundless. the whole SHEbang. all & everything plus a bag of chips. the extra oomph, the icing, the extra legroom, the best sweetest softest kiss, the best most delicious hug, a stunning perfect breathtaking sunset, the most gorgeous song, a favorite dress, the sassiest haircut, the best compliment - it's the extra fabulous add-on. the absolute perfect accessory, it's right up there with pearls. unlimited.repeat it like a mantra. write it down on a card. play it over & over & over in your head. you are so worthy - so fucking worthy - of being that HUGE.

i couldn't live without you, my gorgeous women friends. 
you are the occasion i rise up to.

• Love 3

I do very complicated cross stitch projects as a hobby.  Since this fall I haven't been doing much stitching due to various combinations of sore shoulders, sweating hands, poor lighting, and general piling on of other stuff.  But as of this past weekend, I got my groove back and have spent at least an hour every evening stitching.  I had forgotten how happy it makes me to be able to do that.  I might even get off page 3 of this pattern before April.

• Love 7

I do very complicated cross stitch projects as a hobby.  Since this fall I haven't been doing much stitching due to various combinations of sore shoulders, sweating hands, poor lighting, and general piling on of other stuff.  But as of this past weekend, I got my groove back and have spent at least an hour every evening stitching.  I had forgotten how happy it makes me to be able to do that.  I might even get off page 3 of this pattern before April.

Thanks for reminding me of what was my favorite hobby!  I used to do cross-stitching all the time, but I've gotten out of the habit (mainly because my eyesight makes me have to look so closely at the pattern that it takes a lot longer to get anything done--but those magnifiers give me a headache).  I've got so many patterns that I've never done and I feel the urge coming back.  I think we're supposed to get rain this weekend (at least on Saturday), so I think I'm going to pick out something fun and get back to stitching!

• Love 1
On Wednesday, March 08, 2017 at 3:52 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I am very fond of the role squirrels are playing in my life these days - they are quite the acrobats.

This made me think "role-playing squirrels", which made me picture a bunch of squirrels playing D&D.

• Love 2

Can't cosign on squirrels (AKA rats with bushy tails). However; I AM grateful for the gorgeous sunset I just saw tonight with all the colors playing against the  darkening sky and, as much as I hated Daylight Savings Time robbing me an entire hour last weekend ( when I had to work), I'm happy that this now means I have more time in daylight than before!

• Love 2

First I love the hell out of squirrels and their antics and adorableness. I would swear they have little personalities, but then I'd sound like a weirdo. :-)

Second, I pulled into a store parking spot and an older ish dude with a long grey Santa beard pulled up beside me on his Harley blasting "Gold Dust Woman" by the goddess, Stevie Nicks.

Things that make me smile.

That is all.

• Love 2

I have a hand-me-down red Keurig Mini B30.

On the side of the road, I found a Keurig B145 Office Pro Brewing System* (black + silver) with four refillable K-cups in purple (my favorite color). I washed everything, drained + primed the tank, and made my morning coffee. Works perfectly!

It came in a Mr. Coffee box. I'll put my old one in there with my orange + brown refillable K-cups (I hate red, orange + brown), then leave it outside w/ a "free" sign on it.

*If you're really bored, someone filmed theirs brewing a cup of coffee:

• Love 4

I saw a meme on Facebook a few minutes ago (the picture was of a big-eyed scared-looking cat) with these words:  'How I see math word problems.  If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof?  Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.'  It made me smile, because this is basically how I see math problems (either in nonsense words like that, or the 'wah wah wah' voices that the adults used in the Charlie Brown cartoons). 

Also while driving home I passed by a medical supply place's 'annex' (across the road from their main shop) that had a sign out from that said 'The CPAP Place'.  Of course, my mind saw it as 'The CRAP Place'.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Also while driving home I passed by a medical supply place's 'annex' (across the road from their main shop) that had a sign out from that said 'The CPAP Place'.  Of course, my mind saw it as 'The CRAP Place'.  

There's one of those e-cigarette stores in a nearby shopping center with the sign AVAIL VAPORS on the front.  The way the letters are in all caps and spaced, I always read it as ANAL VAPORS and wonder who would patronize a place like that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, Moose135 said:

There's one of those e-cigarette stores in a nearby shopping center with the sign AVAIL VAPORS on the front.  The way the letters are in all caps and spaced, I always read it as ANAL VAPORS and wonder who would patronize a place like that.

heee... Moose-y!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, forumfish said:

I am self employed and have crappy insurance, but it covers my precriptions so I put up with the high copays and deductible. A few months ago, my thyroid med dose was increased and now it's time to do the blood test to see if my levels are okay. I found one of those self-order online companies and they are having a sale on the tests I need. I paid less for the tests than I would to see my doctor just to get him to order the tests, and I went to a lab in a nearby grocery store, so it was a very convenient and low cost process.

But the best part is that yesterday I got a check in the mail from a medical office I have not been to in three and a half years. The amount of the check almost covered the price of my thyroid tests. Yay!

If you need methimazole, I can hook you up, since I get unlimited quantities for my cat from the vet supply places, cheap!  Hey, it could work - I remember having to buy human cancer drugs from the pharmacy for a premium because the vet suppliers couldn't be bothered to make it for animals!  Medical care for all sentient beings kinda sucks.  :-)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

Thanks, walnutqueen, but my thyroid swings the other way. I'm hypo, but the results of yesterday's tests were in the acceptable range, so yay! for that.

Oh well - at least I tried to corrupt you with illegal animal drugs.  :-D

And YAY for good test results - I remember the happy dance I did when my Babalu finally had a decent blood sugar result ...

• Love 1

I've been a teacher for a dozen years, but I never got my masters because I was busy raising two kids by myself. My two kids are now in college, so I decided to finally bite the bullet and get my masters degree. At first, I was just taking one class at a time. Due to a crazy set of circumstances, however, I ended up needing to take four classes this spring semester -- that means I was a full-time college student while still teaching middle school full-time . . . and those classes required that I drive to campus (two hours away) on Saturdays and have classes from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Add to that the fact that I'm in the process of buying a house, and let's just say that it has been a very stressful 2017 so far. 

So, this evening -- exactly two hours ago --  I submitted my last final of the semester! A ten-page paper on the impact of social media on the English language.....yes, it was as boring as it sounds, but I've never felt so good as I did when I clicked the 'send' button. I am now officially free from classes! The only thing left is to finish my thesis, which is due in July, but at least I can work on that when school lets out for summer. In short -- I can finally breathe again.

I just wanted to share that with somebody! Hope you all have an amazing week!

• Love 15
39 minutes ago, HoosierJen said:

I've been a teacher for a dozen years, but I never got my masters because I was busy raising two kids by myself. My two kids are now in college, so I decided to finally bite the bullet and get my masters degree. At first, I was just taking one class at a time. Due to a crazy set of circumstances, however, I ended up needing to take four classes this spring semester -- that means I was a full-time college student while still teaching middle school full-time . . . and those classes required that I drive to campus (two hours away) on Saturdays and have classes from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Add to that the fact that I'm in the process of buying a house, and let's just say that it has been a very stressful 2017 so far. 

So, this evening -- exactly two hours ago --  I submitted my last final of the semester! A ten-page paper on the impact of social media on the English language.....yes, it was as boring as it sounds, but I've never felt so good as I did when I clicked the 'send' button. I am now officially free from classes! The only thing left is to finish my thesis, which is due in July, but at least I can work on that when school lets out for summer. In short -- I can finally breathe again.

I just wanted to share that with somebody! Hope you all have an amazing week!

I am amazed, astounded, and ridiculously happy for a perfect stranger.

I am also GRATEFUL to PTV for giving me the best girlrfiend EVER.  We "met" on TWoP, but didn't connect until our tenuous PTV PMs - the rest is history, but she's the only one on my speed dial, and we've been "conversating" ever since.  I lurve her, and thank my lucky stars to have found one person who truly cares, and gets me to my rotten core.

• Love 4

That's outstanding, @HoosierJen! Good job on getting that done.  Almost 20 years ago I earned my Masters while working full time, plus dealing with the house and such - at least I didn't have kids to worry about.  The college had a "weekend a month" program, Friday from 6 - 11pm, all day Saturday, and Sunday from 8 - 1, to get two courses each semester. You were dead by Sunday afternoon, and the next few days at work were a blur, but I managed to get through it.

Congratulations on a job well done!  You've certainly earned some rest after that!

• Love 3

And I think a paper on how social media changes the English language sounds absolutely fascinating.  I could rant for ten pages just on people who use silly words in posts that they would never say out loud unironically!

• Love 6

I had a couple texts sent to me over the weekend that hit me exactly the right way. The first was from a new person in my life, and was essentially a cute way of saying she likes looking at me. The second was from an important person in my life acknowledging how much I've done and sacrificed over the years, and that I should go ahead and treat myself to a really cool jacket that I put back on the rack due to price. 

I've read them back to myself a few times. Words carry a lot of power.

• Love 5

At the risk of veering off topic, I find cruel words directed my way stay with me much longer than kind ones even when I know they're not true.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

At the risk of veering off topic, I find cruel words directed my way stay with me much longer than kind ones even when I know they're not true.

Hell yes they do. 

It's why I think it struck me that I was grateful for the words that made me feel good. Words are used to do harm all the time. It was nice to read though some that went the other way. 

• Love 3

Today, a women with whom I've had tense relations with from time to time that we always ended up managing brought me flowers. She said I helped her start better in her new job, that she's being totally open with her new employers, and that she has me to thank for that. I have no idea how I helped if i did. But I was so touched that somehow, without knowing it, I said or did something that she finds meaningful that I cried emotional tears after she left (really, we were both misty eyed, but I only let go afterwards).

• Love 9