Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: A Giant Leap

Artsda

The studio audience is really, REALLY annoying and really easily amused. I thought we left the juvenile "woooo!" during kissing scenes in the 90s where it belonged. 

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 5

Oh I agree about the audience. They are the most easily impressed people on the entire planet. Did they actually track down the original audience, and get them to come back, with their never ending awwwwws and their ohhhhhhhhhs?

This brought back memories of when I got to go to the Giants came last year, when I was on vacation in San Francisco. Great day, except some giants fan cussed me out for wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat. Lady, chill out! Well, the Reds ended up winning anyway, so joke was on her!

This love triangle has taken a bit of a turn. I am disappointed in how Steve is kind of a stalker now, but maybe he is just overcompensating after his divorce? He was apparently over DJ enough to get married at some point. 

• Love 3

Oh I agree about the audience. They are the most easily impressed people on the entire planet. Did they actually track down the original audience, and get them to come back, with their never ending awwwwws and their ohhhhhhhhhs?

The audience is probably strongly encouraged to do that stuff.

Are we sure it's not a recorded laugh track or something? Guess I didn't realize there was an actual studio audience. It's really annoying but "luckily" for me I watch a lot of old sitcoms so I easily tune it right out because I'm so used to it.

• Love 1

Having been to live tapings for sitcoms, they have people that hold up signs for the audience with things like "Aww", "Laugh", "Cheer", "Clap" etc... they also hold up "Louder" at times as well and they expect everyone to do it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I did feel the studio audience is way overdoing the "woooohs!" and "awwws."  It's like Saved by the Bell territory, except slightly more insane.  Maybe the studio audience wranglers need to take it down a notch.    

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode. The ending was the most entertaining. I still hate love triangles, but the flashbacks to DJ's best kisses with Steve and Matt were great, especially with them jumping in to comment. And the faking out and accidental kiss was fantastically timed. 

The baseball scenes were good too. I loved that Kimmy brought advertising with her. I really liked Steph's one time boyfriend. And Max was adorable. I still don't like Lola all that much, but I don't hate her anymore.

• Love 1

...John Brotherton wasn't a Paul Walker stand-in in "Furious 7", he had an actual role as Shepherd, Kurt Russell's second-in-command.

Also, I loooved him as Jared Banks on "One Life to Live". If they wanted to cast Melissa Archer as Matt's ex-wife next season, I would be fine just fine with that.

• Love 3

This love triangle has taken a bit of a turn. I am disappointed in how Steve is kind of a stalker now, but maybe he is just overcompensating after his divorce? He was apparently over DJ enough to get married at some point. 

Matt ventured into stalker territory too - how else did he know that DJ wasn't at any of the twelve night dentists.?  I jest - this sort of stalking is sitcom "love" - it should make you think twice in real life, but just a basis for a laugh in a show (whether or not this sort of thing give preteen girls the wrong impression is a whole different discussion).

As a member of the studio audience for this episode, the over the top reactions felt like the right thing to do at the time.

You were there? Cool! Any behind the scenes or insider info you can share?

(edited)

Not really anything important, exciting, or cool to share.  They wanted the over the top laughing and awws and since filming involved both animals and kids there were already a lot of takes, so I didn't want to have to sit through more because of lackluster audience "participation."  All the cast seemed to really enjoy being there and like one another.  Candice had just written a book and brought a couple signed copies for audience prizes and Steve (I can't remember his real name) brought some signed copies of the newly released Aladdin blu rays.  They made Steve do Aladdin quotes to amuse us.  The kids were funny in between scenes.  The little boy that plays the middle son was cracking me up.  He's a little ham and has a lot of energy.  There's a scene in this episode where he runs upstairs and leaves other people in the kitchen and he kept getting in trouble for making too much noise while upstairs waiting for the scene to end -- at one point there was a giant thunk.  The main cast all danced to Watch Me between scenes at the end -- it started with the kids and then the adults came out and joined them, so it amused me when they released the teaser with the adults dancing to that.  I generally hate going to tapings, but this wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I got roped into going.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 5