Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Jeanette & Derick

As soon as Nev called "Derrick" & I heard the voice on the phone, I knew it was a woman. I'm guessing that if Jeanette had really thought about it, she would have realized it too, but she expected (and wanted) to hear a man, so that's what she heard.

• Love 10
(edited)

I guess it's nice that it wasn't a 20-year old this time? But yeah, the minute I heard the voice it was obvious Derrick was a woman. I wonder if the daughter had her suspicions about that, but knew an actual reveal was the only way to wake her mother up.

Edited by marny
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's not nice to say but I wish Jeanette would have smacked Derica or whatever her name was.  In fact, that's one thing that has never happened on this show, no one has gotten the shit smacked out of them.  

And why do they have to get together a second time.  If I were Jeanette I would never, ever want to see that Derica person again, I wouldn't need or want to hear their lame ass apology.

Edited by Neurochick

It's not nice to say but I wish Jeanette would have smacked Derica or whatever her name was.  In fact, that's one thing that has never happened on this show, no one has gotten the shit smacked out of them.  

And why do they have to get together a second time.  If I were Jeanette I would never, ever want to see that Derica person again, I wouldn't need or want to hear their lame ass apology.

It gives them time to get over the initial reaction and calm down and have a better conversation.

Some of these have gone from the catfish-ee to be SOOOOO mad but then the next day they relax and end up being friends.

The cool down period is a good idea.  Otherwise the ending would be the same every time.  the catfish-ee leaves pissed off and angry.

I was really hoping it wasn't a woman because I felt that was so obvious. 

Derica did have a pretty deep voice but even if a female has a deeper voice there is usually something in it that makes it obviously female.

• Love 4

It gives them time to get over the initial reaction and calm down and have a better conversation.

Some of these have gone from the catfish-ee to be SOOOOO mad but then the next day they relax and end up being friends.

The cool down period is a good idea.  Otherwise the ending would be the same every time.  the catfish-ee leaves pissed off and angry.

Maybe but why would anybody in their right mind want to be friends with a fucking liar who lies?

I could see Jeanette feeling like Derica needed some guidance and concern, especially after the shitshow of a young adulthood she copped to at their first meeting.

I think Jeanette was a supremely decent person and I was impressed that she maintained some semblance of contact with Derica. 

But also impressed that she didn't knock her the fuck out when she first found out.

• Love 1

Maybe but why would anybody in their right mind want to be friends with a fucking liar who lies?

Because people are weird.  And they have created a bond with the person and sometimes that's hard to let go.  Especially if you felt you were in love with the person.

Take for example one girl who got catfished by another girl who she thought was a guy.  The girl was not a lesbian, or said she wasn't.  Come up the 2 month video chat update they are actually dating. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt really bad for the daughter, Shuntay.  There was a scene where Jeanette was resting her head on her daughter's shoulder after she learned what Nev and Max discovered...it made me wonder, has Shuntay routinely had to help her mother figure things out in life, and comfort her when things go wrong?  That seeming role-reversal made me uncomfortable, and puts an unfair burden on Shuntay, who has her own child to raise.  Why didn't Jeanette ask one of her friends to help her figure this out? 

Edited by DraperJames
  • Love 5

I guess people hear what they want to hear, because like you all, I heard female right off the bat.

What I don't get is how this show still finds people too lazy to do a little research? It isn't like Nev and Max hire private investigators or do anything special. They simply do phone number, Facebook and Instagram cross referencing. Not sure why people need to call someone to do that? And people are obviously aware of people being catfish since they call/email the show, it isn't like the show finds THEM.

Also not sure why a middle aged man or woman would want a 20 something. I am middle aged and I can't think I would have too much in common with a 20 something. But hey, to each their own...

And I am really not sure why people think there is an excuse not to video chat nowadays. EVERYONE owns a smart phone and you can get a cheap web cam for $20. The kid in the pictures very obviously loved people seeing him.

And one last point...why do catfish always choose models for their fake pics? If I were scum like these people I would just get an above average looking persons picture. But then hey, people continue to fall for the fact a person that looks like a model is in love with them...

• Love 1

I just watched this episode....and its such a rarity...but I liked Jeannette and Shauntay.  As with everyone else, the voice was clearly that of a woman.  The TV acted up right after Jeannette saw Derica, so I didn't get to see the end....but I truly hope that Jeannette gives it another go.  And talks to men at least somewhere around her age, that are a little more stable.

I’m seeing the rerun this morning for the first time. This woman is dumb as a bag of hair. To think she was talking to a man, and not looking up the phone number to see who it belonged to. It’s not rocket science.

Once when I tried online dating, a guy who lived about 45 minutes away wanted to meet for lunch. Based on all he’d told me (works at home for a company based in Atlanta, divorced with a grown daughter, etc), I called the company he said he worked for as if I was looking for a reference on him. He had been fired a long while ago. The house he was living in belonged to his ex, who wasn’t yet an ex, and he was going to have to get out soon. Looking for a place to stay with me? LOL, no, not happening. Then found his criminal record online, several arrests for assault on a female. Blocked him immediately.

In other words, if I can find all of this out without being some sort of detective, Jeanette could have known she was talking to a woman just by looking up the phone number.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

In other words, if I can find all of this out without being some sort of detective, Jeanette could have known she was talking to a woman just by looking up the phone number.

Would she? The net is a sea of wrong information. For a while, the show would often go to break with Nev asking "is this who (s)he's really been talking to?" after being led to a red herring.

• Love 1

They found the woman by looking up her number. I don’t think Jeanette was playing with a full deck, she was awash in the idea of a romance and didn’t do her due diligence to find out any truths.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, cooksdelight said:

I’m seeing the rerun this morning for the first time. This woman is dumb as a bag of hair. To think she was talking to a man, and not looking up the phone number to see who it belonged to. It’s not rocket science.

Once when I tried online dating, a guy who lived about 45 minutes away wanted to meet for lunch. Based on all he’d told me (works at home for a company based in Atlanta, divorced with a grown daughter, etc), I called the company he said he worked for as if I was looking for a reference on him. He had been fired a long while ago. The house he was living in belonged to his ex, who wasn’t yet an ex, and he was going to have to get out soon. Looking for a place to stay with me? LOL, no, not happening. Then found his criminal record online, several arrests for assault on a female. Blocked him immediately.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one annoyed by Jeanette. She had to be deep in some pretty willful denial to "fall in love" with this young male model for 9 months (with no video confirmation of his identity and, oh yeah, a clearly female voice). Jeanette believed what she wanted to believe and then acted like the martyred victim when it blew up in her face. Also, how many times did Nev and Max have to explain that she didn't actually fall in love with a teenager? She simply couldn't comprehend that Derica had used a fake profile.

• Love 1