Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Ginger Zee: Dancing In The Clouds

• Start Topic

Seeing that it's a fairly well-known thing that you tend to lose weight going on this show, it's interesting she'd pick this season to do it, since she may still be trying to lose whatever extra weight she put on during her pregnancy with her son, Adrian (who was born in December, like, on the first weekend of her maternity leave as I remember). More power to her then.

Ginger said this morning that's she's still breast feeding.  I would think that's going to get really tough to fly back and forth to LA once a week, be on GMA and have an almost 3 month old.   I'm guessing she's doing it to lose the remaining weight and have fun, but I think it's going to be really hard on all of them.  She'll basically have no days off, travel across the country once a week, and be a new mom.  Good Luck Ginger.

I don't think the traveling and baby will be as bad as we think. She's got less traveling then some of the musicians that were in different cities every few nights on tour. I'm sure she's got a full-time nanny that will travel with them, along with her husband and mother. She's done her "I'm breastfeeding" lip service, so she may not even keep up the pumping throughout the show. If the baby is really sleeping through the night, she's already probably slowing down.

On GMA, she can roll straight into the hair and makeup, get her script, and read off the weather on screen. I bet she's not expected to do any of the "World News Tonight" weather right now. It's early in the morning, but she's been doing that job for years. I'm sure she's got her sleep schedule worked out.

The only thing that could really turn her off for me is if the producers go crazy on the sanctimommy who can do it all angle. Let her talk about the baby on the first night and most memorable year night and then stfu.

(edited)

I'm not feeling it.  I don't think this will be so great, since her dancing isn't all that, and it's going to be a challenge for anyone, let alone a new mom to be bi-coastal . Nobody who has had to travel every week has won this show.  Better dancers who put in that much travel--- see Nastia Lukin  and Tamar Braxton.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Meryl traveled almost everyweek and won, and she was going to a different city almost everynight.

If dancing with the stars thinks they found a story arch with you.. they will stick with it whether the contestant cares or not...history shows (tamar-attitude, nastia-cold, jennifer-injured, etc)...

I think Ginger is a great multitasker and someone who loves variety and change (as that's in her nature).  Yes, she does risk getting overextended (i.e. scattered ideas flooding her head, projects piling up on her desks) and may have difficulty controlling and gaining control of a situation with lots of responsibilities.  It will be good to have someone on her team to keep her honest.

I think its nice that Ginger is taking on the show since she will have challenges during the early months of motherhood, compared to other women.  It's not to suggest that she won't be a good mother (she will), but its simply not in her nature to stay for prolonged periods of time in one place, tending to her baby for one hour after another, after another, and another.  It's good that she'll likely be getting some assistance and help at the beginning such that she is able to move about and and to explore new things (esp dwts, as when she hears music, she'll naturally want to move).

The strength of her personality is her exuberance, joy and the thrill of being alive.  She likes change and new experiences as she likes to move and to find new paths to blaze.  She's also someone with a positive outlook.  If her dancing is up to par, and the right music and choreography surfaces, she should feel comfortable in the salsa and samba routines.   She's playful and loves to flirt (with everyone, including pets) which is something that comes naturally to her (cha cha).  She's someone who has a glow, exudes charisma and naturally shines in the spotlight.  It's in her nature to connect with an audience and to be a natural born storyteller (she may exaggerate at times).  It will be interesting to see how all this translates in body movements during the live performances.

Like any contestant on the show with challenges, Ginger's will be her over excitement.  This leads her to being scattered, anxious and erratic (in thought) and may translate to body movements being overextended, rushed and lacking finesse.  This may also cause her to act rashly in words (can be precise in exchanges during heated moments) and make her regret later on.  She will naturally shine in the spotlight, but Val should know that as soon as she's off stage she can fall into a dejected slump.  She will need constant reassurances.  She needs to be constantly having fun during training, otherwise she'll not be as motivated.  She loves to have fun, and won't focus on one thing, and she'll avoid any exercise that is repetitive and takes a long time to learn.  Any fast movement and change, it will appeal to her.

In terms of relationships, Ginger should work well with Val because he will naturally fuel her energy, making her feel lovable even more.  Val will like working with the Ginger because she will naturally light up around people like him, making him feel powerful.

Ginger is like a firefly, bright and beautiful, but whose thoughts/tendencies can be scattered.  It will be up to Val to fuel, manage and channel that energy to productive use.

The other thing to remember is she works for ABC. They want the cross-promotion so they will make it easier for her. She's not flying home to go to school, or out on tour or just because she prefers it. She's going from one ABC show to another. They will help her make it work because its very much in their best interest to do so. I'm not talking cheating, but giving her an extra day off here from GMA and there for team dance week maybe or the semi-finals/finals (if she got that far.) They are invested in her as an employee in a way they aren't in someone like Tamar Braxton. It won't be easy but I do think she'll be able to balance the time commitment.

• Love 2

Ginger is still on maternity leave from GMA. She'll probably still commute, but at least she's just doing DWTS and not both shows.

I would have preferred Lara from GMA, but Ginger should be pretty good.

Meryl traveled almost everyweek and won, and she was going to a different city almost everynight.

If dancing with the stars thinks they found a story arch with you.. they will stick with it whether the contestant cares or not...history shows (tamar-attitude, nastia-cold, jennifer-injured, etc)...

I can't compare a person who ice danced for a living with an x cheerleader who is just Erin Andrews awkward. Sorry.  I'm out for this season. .This bunch of re-treads are just a waste of time.

I can't compare a person who ice danced for a living with an x cheerleader who is just Erin Andrews awkward. Sorry.  I'm out for this season. .This bunch of re-treads are just a waste of time.

Well at least re-treads are better than You Tubers, 12 year olds, and whatever type of "star" Alek (already forgot his last name) was. We can't expect A or B listers. These people are all on TV in some capacity, so they should be pretty good performers. Some of them look like they have some moves. I don't know who this lady is, but I'm always ready to root for a fellow mom :-)

• Love 2

I don't watch morning shows much, and not a fan of hers - so far I found her annoying, full of herself, and I expect the baby/pumping/commute story angle to encourage me to fast forward. Her dancing was pretty good but she could be super annoying.

• Love 1

I like her...and I'm loving her partnership with Val.  What's unique for me this season is I feel equally the same about Paige, Wanya, Nyle and Jodie. I haven't been this conflicted in a really long time.  I like this season a lot.

She bugs...I cannot stand it when a new mom says they're doing this "for their baby" when it means less time spent with the baby. Listen, all that little guy knows is that he sees his mom less than usual. These early months go so quickly - I can't imagine wanting to miss even more of it than she is already. It's going to be years (if ever) before he's "inspired" by her decision to be on DWTS. If she wants to do it, fine, but don't say it's "for my baby". 

• Love 8

She bugs...I cannot stand it when a new mom says they're doing this "for their baby" when it means less time spent with the baby. Listen, all that little guy knows is that he sees his mom less than usual. These early months go so quickly - I can't imagine wanting to miss even more of it than she is already. It's going to be years (if ever) before he's "inspired" by her decision to be on DWTS. If she wants to do it, fine, but don't say it's "for my baby". 

Oh fucking, yes.  How utterly unaware.  bleck

• Love 2

She's a first time mom with a three-month old, every first-time mom I know talks a lot about their child ...... I can't blame Ginger for that.  I do believe that she talks about a lot of other things, it is the producers that put Ginger in the "first-time mother" storyline and they will air packages to advance that storyline.

I for one find her happy, upbeat, perky, quirky personaility appealing; it's a bit sad (to me) that someone is called out for being too happy or too upbeat - and why shouldn't Ginger be happy; she's clearly at a wonderful point in her professional and personal life.  More power to her.

• Love 1

I think part of the problem is that the show is being fairly obvious about the whole treating the ABC employee with kids gloves thing, not to mention the extensive GMA packages about how great Ginger is and how she's a frontrunner to win.  The judges go easy on her, even when the scores are on target.  So unfortunately all the show is doing is creating a backlash against her that really has little to do with Ginger herself.  Also until at least last night, the amount of pushing and pimping wasn't really backed up by the dancing.  Last night is the first time she came alive IMO.  Yes, there was a lot of "messing about" but I tend to excuse that on Disney week. 

Let's put it this way.  I mistakenly watched a GMA segment after last week's show where they had Candace Cameron on as a guest to talk about DWTS.  They started off with a video interview of Ginger/Val and footage of them followed by footage of the "other frontrunners".  Then they cut to Candace who of course admitted she's biased herself and she talked about Jodie having her fave dance of the night.  Then she said her other favorite dance was Nyle and she talked about him.  Then the rest of the GMA people piped up and asked her what she thought about Ginger, to which Candace then had to talk about how great she was because apparently it wasn't okay that Ginger wasn't one of Candace's faves of the night.  This then led to another video package about Ginger and how amazing she is on DWTS.  Even if I was a fan it would be over the top.  All it did was remind me not to watch anymore GMA coverage.  I get it as she is their employee, but moderation people.

• Love 4

I don't have a problem with GMA promoting her, since she works there, but DWTS shouldn't be doing it. Besides, she is hardly a front runner when at least 5 other people are as good or better than she is. It's starting to look like a Melissa Rycroft or Bindi Irwin level of pimpage, and most viewers aren't going to like that.

• Love 3

I don't really have a problem with GMA giving Ginger extra coverage in theory either.  Of course they are biased.  But when they start browbeating their guests to talk about how wonderful she is when they are giving their own thoughts about the show, I think it's a bit much.  That was sort of the moment when I was like dial it back people.  Also when they did a package on Nyle, which was about his experience and all the hand signals that he and Peta use to communicate and that sort of thing, and somehow they managed to incorporate footage of Ginger into that too.  Plus of course it is bleeding into the show somewhat too.

Oh was Candace a guest on the show? If so, then yes, they should not have strong-armed her into talking about how great Ginger was. That's tacky and not very professional. If she worked on GMA, that would have been different. I don't have anything against Ginger personally, just as I had nothing against Bindi, Melissa, etc. but the show pimping them made me not want to root for them. Maybe that's silly, but IMO it is what it is.

• Love 1

When I first saw Ms. Zee, she played her youth and appearance for all it was worth.  It was all about how "energetic" and peppy she was.  I'll be darned if I can recall a single instance where she was called upon to do something substantial or newsy.  Basically, she was an inoffensive pretty face.  Nothing particularly evil or bad about that.  It is network TV.   But, she was always sure to play that role for all it was worth.

Now?  Why, she is Mrs. Mom!  She's the girl next door who just loooooooves being a mom.  She also makes sure we all know how much she has to sacrifice to be a mom and a network TV hostess - and now a contestant on DWTS!!!!!  Memo to Ms. Zee:  Nobody asked you to do any of these jobs.  There is a list a mile long of new ingenues who can read a teleprompter, look pretty, and pretend to caaaaaaare about the viewer at home.  You chose to have a baby.  Now, you play that for all it is worth.  Of course, as you aged, you full well realized you needed to change up your image.  So.....now you are SuperMom!!!!!!  Give it a rest.

Don't get me started about her playing the corporate synergy for allll it is worth.  

Prediction:  She will take Erin's job by this time next year. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

I not warming up to her either. On Val's snapchat she often appears a little annoyed that he's filming her.  I don't think the camaraderie  that they're trying to show actually exists. I have not watched any of the periscope videos that Ginger films.  That said, according to her wiki, she did graduate with a meteorologist degee from Valparaiso University and she is a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist with the American Meteorological Society. So at least career-wise, she is legit.

I think Ginger is probably a very nice lady.  Pimping aside, I can't totally figure out why I can't warm up to her.  She's completely inoffensive and it's not really her fault that the judges will just tell her she's great and not actually critique her.  The only thing I can come up with is she always seems "on" to me.  Which don't get me wrong that the shiny happy aesthetic might just be who she is as a person, but I don't feel like we are getting to know her at all.  It's all very surface level.  Which is sort of hypocritical of me to point out because if I were a celeb I'd probably come across the same way, but the Ginger that reports on whatever she reports on on GMA is pretty much the same Ginger we get here.  It's all very glossy.  The only plot point we have is she loves her husband and she just had a baby.  Her husband also comes off the same way where he's very on all the time, but he's also a media person of some sort, right?

Where if you compare to somebody like Jodie, Jodie comes off more of a real person IMO.  Yes, perhaps Jodie is more fragile.  But there is something sort of every woman about how Jodie comes across on this show.  Like she could be somebody that any of us know as opposed to being a glossy Hollywood type.  She has struggles and vulnerabilities and successes and all that, but it somehow feels more accessible.

• Love 5

IMO, Ginger's hectic schedule is taking its toll on her.  Originally, she was going to be on GMA each morning (Tuesday thru Friday) ... fly out to LA for the weekend and the show on Monday night ... and then fly back to NYC for GMA.  But with the rehearsals, a baby, a tag-along husband, routines that are a little more complex (i.e., not easily handled) and stiffer competition than she expected, it seems that she's opted to stay longer in LA and let other sub for her on GMA.

1 hour ago, DallasGypsy said:

IMO, Ginger's hectic schedule is taking its toll on her.  Originally, she was going to be on GMA each morning (Tuesday thru Friday) ... fly out to LA for the weekend and the show on Monday night ... and then fly back to NYC for GMA.  But with the rehearsals, a baby, a tag-along husband, routines that are a little more complex (i.e., not easily handled) and stiffer competition than she expected, it seems that she's opted to stay longer in LA and let other sub for her on GMA.

I am not a fan of hers at all, but I think it is nice that her husband travels with her and their baby,

11 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I am not a fan of hers at all, but I think it is nice that her husband travels with her and their baby,

I don't think he has a job at the moment. According to Wiki, his show was cancelled. I guess he's mugging the cameras to get an ABC show?

13 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think he has a job at the moment. According to Wiki, his show was cancelled. I guess he's mugging the cameras to get an ABC show?

Oh ... and that's another thing for Ginger ... she's now supporting the family.

There is no way Ginger is a better dancer then the boys to men dancer he get all 10's Jody Gets all 10's and there gone this is a bunch of bs. THE FIX is in how could she lose, she works for ABC. And she knew it last night VAL wispered some to her.