Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Mischa Barton: We'll OC If She Can Dance!

• Start Topic

I used to like Mischa when she was a rising star and always hoped she would get it together. She does have talent and could have been a big star. Here's to hoping she can dance and do well.

• Love 1

Artem's been posting mini-videos on Instagram of their rehearsals (two so far) ... and Mischa doesn't look as still and awkward as I would have imagined, given her awkwardness at the cast reveal. Hopefully he can keep her relaxed.

One of the rehearsal clips looks like a tango. Do they have a tango in week 1?

EDIT:

Oops, behind the news. They indeed have a tango.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

Yeah, the short snap of her moving around doesn't look bad. I don't know why they're doing tango in week 1, but it might suit her better than having to do something outgoing and upbeat like cha-cha right out of the gate? In tango she can keep a serious/neutral face, Artem has her in hold and can control her movements.

If she really doesn't want to do it that much, then I guess it's fair if that comes across to the audience and they don't get behind her. But I'm not sure that's actually the case so much as she's introverted and a bit awkward, so she doesn't come across that well in the DWTS setting? From her demeanour she reminds me most of Bethany Mota, who had Derek's fanbase pitching in for her and her own online presence, but even that couldn't get her beyond 4th place. The general audience likes their young female contestants cheerful and fluffy, at least it seems that way. Hopefully she gets more at ease as the show goes on and does well!

• Love 2

I selfishly want her to do well because I want to watch Artem on my screen, mostly. :/

I don't know why they're doing tango in week 1, but it might suit her better than having to do something outgoing and upbeat like cha-cha right out of the gate?

This will help, for sure. I don't think she'll get to Bethany Mota's 4th place unless she's Gilles Marini (with Cheryl) levels of good and can make it through on judges scores until she manages to build a fanbase, though. I don't think she, or even Artem, has the fanbase right out of the gate to rely on.

Speaking of Bethany Mota, I always thought she was pretty bubbly, but I could b misremembering because I found her dancing mostly "meh". And because Derek's choreography for his partners mostly looks the same now, so I tend to forget most of their dances. But you're right in that Mischa is going to have to get over her shyness if she wants to have any shot, lest she come off looking cold and disinterested like Nastia.

I thought Mischa was an absolute bitch during her OC heyday; the worst was a magazine interview where she complained that during a benefit for the victims of the Beslan school massacre, nobody paid attention to her outfit. That was all I could think about when I watched her package, hoping that she would show some growth and redeem herself, but she still seems bitchy and self-centered. I know she's struggled with mental health issues, but she comes across so cold, it's hard to sympathize. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the first one out.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

She's reminding me of Kendra who never had fun on the show and blamed everything (including her period one time) on something else.  Followed closely by Hope Solo. I think she thinks this show is beneath her.

• Love 2

I believe Mischa only signed up to collect a check & it shows. Girl has bills!

I'm sympathetic because of her mental health issues. I'm also concerned about how her personality is coming across so negative---she's had a long run of negative publicity & can't seem to catch a break. It's mostly about how she's either too fat or too thin; just never physically quite right.

Maybe this show & this industry is not for her.

I've never seen her in anything before DWTS, but I feel bad for her. She has no natural dance talent and she seems to have a lot of social anxiety and depression that won't allow her to act cheerful when the judges are criticizing her. And they are far harsher with her than with anyone else, which I don't understand. In the first week, Flutie was no better than she was and Geraldo was worse, but the judges were positive and encouraging and telling them how fun and entertaining they were, whereas the comments to Mischa were basically, "thank God that's over with." And the roll-out package in week two was some bullshit. She actually did learn the dance so there had to be a lot of footage of her working on it. Instead they show her telling Artem she needs a break, walking away, and talking on her phone while he practiced alone.

If she were dogging it because she thinks she's too good for this, then I could see why the show would portray her as lazy with a bad attitude, but it looks more to me like she knows she's not good at dancing, it's humiliating for her, and for whatever reason, she's too fragile to put a brave face on it. Based on her dancing ability alone, they had to have known she wasn't going to get very far into the season anyway, so I don't know why they're trying to make her look as bad as possible in the very few weeks that she does stay on the show.

• Love 1

I don't feel sorry for Mischa. Anyone who has watched the show or at least has heard of it knows how tough it is physically and mentally and they should deal with it accordingly. Jodie Sweetin has had some issues in her life, but so far she hasn't let the pressure get to her as badly as Mischa has, at least, not for long. Given Mischa's track record, chances are she'll be the next to go, and not a moment too soon.

• Love 2

I agree that she's just not a natural and not an experienced dancer like others in the cast. I don't see signs of a bad attitude--at least not yet. She definitely got the harshest critique and didn't cry or complain about it. She just puts on a weak smile while she struggles to get better, and she did get a little better. I think it's relatable and fine when at least one person in the cast isn't trying so hard to sell or charm me. 

• Love 1

I don't feel sorry for Mischa. Anyone who has watched the show or at least has heard of it knows how tough it is physically and mentally and they should deal with it accordingly. Jodie Sweetin has had some issues in her life, but so far she hasn't let the pressure get to her as badly as Mischa has, at least, not for long. Given Mischa's track record, chances are she'll be the next to go, and not a moment too soon.

I wonder if her therapist or agent was encouraging her to step outside her comfort zone and try something like Dancing with the Stars.  And she agreed but when she realized how much work it was and how little she knows about dancing, she freaked out.  The way she is acting may be how she is coping with it...she knows she's not very good (and Len confirmed it for her last week) so she's not even going to put forth effort. This is just my theory.

What are her mental health issues?  

Someone mentioned it in the episode thread, so I had to Google it, but apparently, in 2009 she was held for two weeks in a psych hospital on an involuntary commitment after she freaked out in a dentist office.

• Love 1

What happened in the dentist's office? Sometimes they use  adrenaline. (to  decrease bleeding) with the pain med they shoot in there MAybe that freaked her out? what's the story?

Two weeks? That seems serious.Im not sure it is my business to know that .. or anyone's...

http://www.etonline.com/news/187661_exclusive_mischa_barton_goes_on_first_date_with_dwts_partner_artem_chigvintsev_see_the_cute_pics/#

Mischa and Artem are dating, according to Entertainment Tonight, and other outlets.

hmmmm Now ET has added an update at the top of the story saying a rep for Artem says that he and Mischa are not dating. Why didn't ET ask the rep before they did the story?

Edited by classique
update
  • Love 1