Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E20: BetterBack, Glacé Cryotherapy, Linka, Teaspressa

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I think a shock would be an effective deterrent, that's what I went to immediately. But it also concerns me that once someone gets shocked they may take out their frustration on your bike.

Plus you know some idiot would sue for injuries due to the shock - although I agree that's the most effective deterrent.

• Love 2

I think they like some awful pitches because it can make good TV. So maybe they do give some guidance, but if they get a really crazy applicant they probably encourage the stupidity of it.

Oh I totally agree that they would encourage the stupid, over the top applicants. I was thinking more of the ones who actually do have a good product but value their companies at such outrageous numbers that the sharks cannot possibly invest. Seems like a waste of time for the sharks and pitchers, and an annoyance for the viewer at times.

People have posted here that they know someone who auditioned for the show. Yes, they have auditions and at least one of the Sharks is there to see what's possibly going to be on the show. It's a well-orchestrated TV show, and I do believe the poor tea lady was the sacrificial lamb for this episode. Her pre-show pitch would have been looked at by production beforehand. Her valuations and her scattered business plan were all known beforehand. That's what makes me mad at this show.

• Love 3

Remove Lori, Kevin and Mark and bring back John Paul. Let's bring in another female entrepreneur. Here's a list. (Oprah and Beyonce are too busy--pick some others.) http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyinverso/2015/05/26/the-worlds-most-powerful-women-entrepreneurs-of-2015/#77dbb5a510bf

Because I'm near-sighted and don't like wearing my glasses, I slump forward toward my computer monitor and my upper back and shoulders hurt. I know--just wear your glasses! Does the contraption help with the upper back--by correcting the lower back, does it force the upper into correct position?

It does help with the upper back. If you try to lean forward too much, the straps around the knees would fall off. My husband said you can lean back slightly, but he can tell too much pressure would break it. It basically forces your whole back into position.

He has raised his monitor and adjusted where he keeps his keyboard to help take advantage of the BetterBack. He said he could not use it properly when he had his monitor just sitting on his desk.

Did I miss where the Teaspressa entrepreneur explained what exactly makes her different from other loose leaf tea? (Serious question, it's very possible I did!)

I'm a huge tea person, but I can't figure out what makes her different from any other loose leaf tea you can buy. 

The "technology" she was using is just a moka pot. You can buy these for $20. They work great for coffee - they make a brew that fits somewhere between coffee and espresso. So if you love espresso and need a cheap home solution go buy one. Incredibly easy to use and clean up after. 

I've never tried making tea with it, but I'm going to try now. Most tea tends to brew best at a little lower temperature than coffee so I have a feeling it might be a little more bitter and astringent than usual.

I think tea lady maybe actually suffered from being too familiar with the show? Here's why I think that:

Sometimes someone comes in and the sharks tell them "you're not a company you're a product, what's the next step?" and sometimes they say "you're too early" etc. So she overcompensated on both those fronts. She's got the storefront and the "technology" and the 86 million other things she tried to talk about at once, but they couldn't follow what she was really trying to do. If she'd said, we have a store front now to prove the concept and appeal of the product, and we're trying to build a brand and our next branch will be these doohickeys, and then the blah blah blah, and were coherent in describing the business plan and what she'd done to get ready for all the 86 next things, she might've had a shot. But the "run before you walk" assessment I think totally applies. She was very early and was trying to do everything all at once. So she may have had a good idea and maybe even it could catch on, but the execution wasn't right.

And I do feel for people who are nervous and maybe botch their pitch out of nerves, but that's sort of part of the gig? On a human level, I am totally totally sympathic to something panicking in the moment and falling apart. But were I an investor, hey, this is basically like a job interview. Do I want to work with this person? And if you're so nervous and/or disorganized or whatever else it is that leads to the mess of a pitch, I'd certainly wish you no ill will, but it's not going to convince me to buy in either. I mean, unless you're dealing with someone who is some kind of genius and not wanting or needing to be the face of the company or the managing person, how you pitch matters. Or unless the valuation is low enough and the thing early enough (and the sharks expect it to be HUGE) that investors can say "I'll get in before this person botches it and make us both a fortune but take the things they suck at out of their hands". Sometimes that can work. But for the most part, if the pitcher is expected to execute, the shark is just the money, they need to have their act together, not just a good idea. And I say all this without even necessarily being convinced what she had there was a good idea.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

What was up with Posture Lady wanting to phone a friend before accepting the deal - a deal that was fairly close to what she was asking for?  And why call a friend if your fiance is sitting 3 feet away - shouldn't his opinion count?  I got the feeling that she had an investor that would somehow be affected if she took the deal and wanted to clear it with them.  

Being on Shark Tank is like a job interview, but tougher.  There are cameras.  You have to stand for the whole thing.  And sometimes usually) more than one Shark interrupts you and starts giving opinions or asking questions.  Add in that, for many of these people, are very passionate about their product and they feel that their lives depend on getting a deal with a shark for their tea whatever or their zip up sheets or their cricket power bars.  When their presentation starts veering to far from what they had rehearsed hundreds of times, and they realize that the Sharks don't find their wonder product so amazing,  it would be difficult to collect yourself and get back on track - remember they are still all talking at once and asking multiple questions.  

If you ever go on Shark Tank, practice your speech until you think you have it down, then tell it to some of you closest friends and have them interrupt and ask questions - basically have them act like Sharks (and, no they don't all get to be Kevin).

When I am giving a presentation to men and women, I say "Ladies and gentlemen...." I would never say "Hey you guys...."

You can also just use "You"  --- "I would like to tell you about my invention..."  "Do any of you want to make a deal?"   "I can see that none of you see the need for a self cleaning bib, but thank you for your advice."

That said, I have used "Guys" in everyday speech and used it to refer to  a group of people - both men and women, and ,according to dictionary.com, I am not incorrect.  Their definition is ---

1.Informal. a man or boy; fellow:
He's a nice guy.

2. Usually, guys. Informal. persons of either sex; people:
Could one of you guys help me with this?

3.Chiefly British Slang. a grotesquely dressed person.

• Love 3

What was up with Posture Lady wanting to phone a friend before accepting the deal - a deal that was fairly close to what she was asking for?  And why call a friend if your fiance is sitting 3 feet away - shouldn't his opinion count?  I got the feeling that she had an investor that would somehow be affected if she took the deal and wanted to clear it with them.

Yeah, and if you do have another investor/part owner who needs to approve whatever deal, you need to ideally work out all the possible permutations they'd be cool with in advance of your going there. Then only if what the shark you want to go with offers is something so different from what's on the ok-list do you even attempt a call. And even then, you need to be aware the sharks usually do not like letting people go make phone calls. The only other alternative (which still might not be received well) is making sure the sharks know before you start that so-and-so couldn't be with you but has to agree on any deal so you're going to need to make a call. The saying that may or may not make the edit, but the above seem like the only way not to royally piss off the sharks if you have someone who isn't there whose input you want before saying "deal".

It was weird how she immediately turned around and said yes. (I realize maybe in reality it wasn't as fast as it seemed.) Still it struck me as odd that when she said she wanted to phone she seemed simultaneously sort of cheeky about it but also surprised that they'd be upset she suggested such a thing. Like, lady, do you watch this show? Why do you think they'll just let you do that? Her words seemed to imply she thought it was NBD but her body language implied she knew better. It was odd.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

At first I thought she was kidding with the "phone a friend" thing, but then she looked like she might actually do it so I wasn't sure. Makes sense that maybe she had another investor or potential/partial investor she wanted to talk to first. Seems to me if the person's opinion was that critical they should've been there too.

• Love 1

And I do feel for people who are nervous and maybe botch their pitch out of nerves, but that's sort of part of the gig? On a human level, I am totally totally sympathic to something panicking in the moment and falling apart. But were I an investor, hey, this is basically like a job interview. Do I want to work with this person? And if you're so nervous and/or disorganized or whatever else it is that leads to the mess of a pitch, I'd certainly wish you no ill will, but it's not going to convince me to buy in either. I mean, unless you're dealing with someone who is some kind of genius and not wanting or needing to be the face of the company or the managing person, how you pitch matters. Or unless the valuation is low enough and the thing early enough (and the sharks expect it to be HUGE) that investors can say "I'll get in before this person botches it and make us both a fortune but take the things they suck at out of their hands". Sometimes that can work. But for the most part, if the pitcher is expected to execute, the shark is just the money, they need to have their act together, not just a good idea. And I say all this without even necessarily being convinced what she had there was a good idea.

I think if you're going to have a successful business you need to either be able to deliver a good pitch, or hire someone who can. Even if you don't go on Shark Tank you'll need to pitch the idea to someone at some point. And if a person doesn't know that, they don't deserve a deal.

Of course people will just get nervous, so I'm not trying to attack the tea presenter about that. I felt bad for her, and I know I would be a disaster on this show. But she didn't deserve a deal.

At first I thought she was kidding with the "phone a friend" thing, but then she looked like she might actually do it so I wasn't sure. Makes sense that maybe she had another investor or potential/partial investor she wanted to talk to first. Seems to me if the person's opinion was that critical they should've been there too.

I thought she was kidding too. Usually the person will say, "oh, do you mind if I call so and so for advice" or something. She just started walking out like it was no big deal.  I think if you have someone who has a stake in the company and you need their opinion, you better bring the person into the tank with you.

• Love 1

Because I'm near-sighted and don't like wearing my glasses, I slump forward toward my computer monitor and my upper back and shoulders hurt. I know--just wear your glasses! Does the contraption help with the upper back--by correcting the lower back, does it force the upper into correct position?

I feel like this is probably better for trapezius issues, but I haven't tried it myself. (It's on my list of things to get around to trying, but I just haven't yet.)

I think this show may be starting to run its course. More and more of the people coming into the tank have only been in business for a short period of time or  they are still in the proto-type stage with no sales / product yet. It's like they are running out of struggling businesses to help.

I actually think it's the opposite. The show has become so successful with it's nationwide names and partnered shelves at BBB, Target, Staples, etc that a lot of businesses would just be too small. I was thinking the other day that a Cousin's Maine Lobster food truck probably wouldn't make the show nowadays.  If you can't go national they aren't too interested. (Which was specifically the problem with the Chili in Episode 19. They had the momentum to expand but were told "chili is regional".) 

• Love 1

Back pain lady wasn't that bad. She seemed a little uncertain of herself but it seemed like a great "as seen on TV" product that might (or might not) work that well. The cryotherapy did not seem like a great idea at all. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the deals that fell through after the show. I felt bad for the bike lock guy. Are they not allowed to speak up and say 'I can make the alarm louder' or something like that?

As for the tea shots, I don't think it sounded great but you could sell it as a franchise like Starbucks with the option of the at-home version as well like the Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts mixes that are sold in supermarkets. Or she could have stuck to the machine and mix and sold it like those K-cups. I'm not sure why she was so unfocused. Also, she never explained how it had the same caffeine without any symptoms.

I think a shock would be an effective deterrent, that's what I went to immediately. But it also concerns me that once someone gets shocked they may take out their frustration on your bike.

Eek!  ". . .on your bike"?  More likely you'd wind up signing over the deed to your house to that bicycle thief. 

The back support girl kept saying "you guys" with two women sitting there. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does.

I think its a regional thing - in some places, saying "you guys" is like saying "y'all" and people are used to it not referring to gender. Not saying it shouldn't change, but I do think its a regional habit. 

I'm sorry, all I could think of during the Cryogenic Wonder Twins pitch was "You live in a barn with bats! Bats! Who carry rabies! Who could kill you!" I don't even like his product all that much -- I'm just so glad someone invested in him, because even creepy Wonder Twins deserve to not get rabies. Ugh... :shudders:

I thought of that too! I immediately wondered if he's preemptively gotten rabies shots (probably easier than testing those bats for rabies). If not, he could be in real trouble. 

With that cryogenic thing, I kept thinking about an incident not that long ago where an employee of a place (tanning salon?) that had one of those things who died in it.

I kept thinking of that too! I was wondering if any of the sharks would know the story and mention it. But I guess we don't know how long ago this was filmed. 

If tea lady's product has the same amount of caffeine as coffee, how does it not give you the same "jitters & crash?

Yeah I was surprised no one asked her about that. 

The bike alarm is going to have all the same problems as car alarms - its not really going to deter theft and its just going to go off whenever anyone jostles it while trying to get their bike from the rack next to it, and its just going to annoy everyone. On top of the alarm being annoying, you'd constantly get text messages making you run outside whenever anyone bumped into it. And if your phone runs out of batteries or gets stolen, I guess you can't go home. What would actually be useful would be to copy an onstar type thing instead of copying the car alarm, and put some kind of GPS tracker on a bike. For an expensive bike, that might be worth it. 

It would end up shocking the person trying to unlock their bike next to yours, and I'm guessing that's not legal anyway. 

• Love 2