Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Love Hurts

They are setting up a love quadrangle. And briefly (?) resurrected the Mario/Heather/Angus triangle in the same episode (I don't even know what to make out of that one). Seriously?  I didn't sign for that shit.

The sneak peek made me hope that the situation would be handled rather well. But of course, they had to make Christa wrong and insecure in order to prop Grace, too. Needless to say that it isn't working with me.

I hate passive-aggressiveness and that's what I get from Grace. She's OK on paper, she has nice qualities, I like her as a doctor, but the gooey eyes at a man who's dating someone else don't endear her to me (even less since I'm rooting for the couple she disrupts, of course). She could have peed on Neal's leg to mark her territory that the scarf thing wouldn't have been more obvious, imo. And Christa isn't an idiot, she knows that Grace wants Neal back.

I guess I should be happy that Neal and Christa interacted twice in the same episode, and seemed to have talked about the issue, but of course the writers had to ruin the second moment with the ex. Loved Neal in the OR, and how he dealt with his new situation and Campbell. But I didn't like at all the Ominous Looks at Ex-girlfriend. He had better not be waffling, and flat-out lying to Christa about not being interested in his ex anymore. I don't want him ruined by stupid soap bullshit.

It's funny how the little girl who's supposed to prop Grace made me like Campbell out of all people. He's an ass, but at least he's direct and honest about what he is and what he wants. And I have to admit that he knows how to turn on the charm.

I found the medical cases more interesting than last week. Rollie and Jesse working together to help the stepmom was so cute.

I also love Leanne's storyline. It's hard to see her and Jesse a bit at odds, though. Mama and Daddy need to be united. But at least, it's for serious and realistic reasons. I still like the professional relationship she has with Harbert. I had the feeling that the writers toned his cynical sides down, but they're still here. He's an interesting frenemy for her.

All Heather needed in her scene with Angus were horns and a tail. Temptress with Aderall! Angus was completely off the rails, his behavior was so weird for him that it's hard to believe no one asked him what he was high on. 

• Love 6

They are setting up a love quadrangle. And briefly (?) resurrected the Mario/Heather/Angus triangle in the same episode (I don't even know what to make out of that one). Seriously? I didn't sign for that shit.

I think I literally could have quoted your entire post. I agree with every bit of it.

Yes, we have not just one but two love quadrangle if you want to get right down to the nitty gritty of it, with Campbell actually making appearances in both. We've got Christa/Neal/Grace/Campbell on one hand and Mario/Angus/Heather/Campbell (well I don't know if that counts as a love quadrangle but still) on the other hand. Seriously? What in the soapy hell is this? This is exactly how to ruin a show for me.

I don't even know where to start with the whole Grace bullshit, other than if you have to prop a character up this much, maybe the character just isn't working. I am not sure if I am more upset with her and Christa's interaction or her and Neal's interaction. All I know is at this point the sooner she is off my screen the better. They could have gone in so many different directions for her character, but instead they go with one of the most overdone and played out storylines. Not impressed at all. I will say Christa handled herself well in the first scene with her. If my boyfriend's ex came around being all nosey and asking me if he had texted me, I would have a few choice words to say. Christa seemed to be trying really hard I'm that scene to get along with Grace, but she wasn't making it easy. Don't even get me started on the scarf thing with the whole "it looks good on you" statement. Yeah say that one minute and make googly eyes at her man the next. Passive aggressiveness at its best.

Now Neal. I don't know where they are going with his character. While he has been shown to love surgery previously, I just don't see the same enjoyment from him that he got when he was in the ER, and while some of that has to do with Campbell, I don't think that is all of it. I am not sure he knows what he wants to do and he seems rather lost lately. Both professionally and personally. Now, with Christa, on one hand he continues to try to reassure her that Grace is his past, but yes, those looks are disheartening. I also don't think he is fully understanding what the whole situation is doing to Christa. But, I will say he did at least show some concern which is better than the last episode. When they first spotted Grace in the hall way at the end, he immediately sensed something was wrong and asked Christa if she was ok. And after the shared look with Grace that caused Christa to walk away, his attention focused back on Christa and her reaction. I honestly think he is just not sure how to go about handling everything, and as a result it's coming across wrong. However, if that's not the case, if he is truly waffling, than I want Christa to tell him in no uncertain terms that he is either in a relationship with her or he isn't. She deserves better than that. After all she has been through she deserves someone who loves and wants to be with her. If Neal can't do that because he is too hung up in the past, than let her walk away and find someone who can. Which is hard to say since I really do love them together.

I did enjoy the medical cases better this week. They seemed more engaging. I also like the nurse storyline, nurses are often so under appreciated and under paid. It was hard to see Leanne at odds with Jesse though. She is really struggling in her new position as well, but for some reason her professional struggle comes across differently than Neal's.

Hats off to the actor that plays Angus, because he did an awesome job of making Angus so different from his normal self that I can't believe more people didn't notice it. Mario is the only one the least bit suspicious. Mike seems to think everything is just peachy, which once again makes me think he is not objective when it comes to Angus. I would like to think Leanne, Neal, and Dr. Guthrie would have all called him out on his strange behavior and pushing aside his fellow co-workers for another "save".

Well, on to next week, I can only hope my many, many reservations about the finale will be wrong.

Edited by Carolinagirl1028
  • Love 6

Oh God, I just had an idea about Neal's looks, considering how the writing is imo propping the Ex (pure speculation, no spoiler). I think that everytime, the little girl was there.

I bet you that she had a miscarriage, maybe far along in the pregnancy. It would "absolve" her of leaving him, because she was upset and needed to grieve, et voila. Who could  resent the poor girl, then?

It would artificially give her importance in Neal's life. He never demonstrated any particular or personal sensitivity when it comes to such an issue, but who cares?

It would probably make Christa feel guilty and miserable, or make it very easy to present her as insensitive toward poor, sweet, perfect Grace. I don't see anything else that could "surprise" Christa, unfortunately.

It would be the absolute worst, so I'm pretty sure that's what will happen. (As you see, when I turn on writers, I don't turn half-way.)

And I'm afraid that anyway, it will end on a cliffhanger (not only the love triangle/quadrangle, but everything) in spite of an uncertain renewal.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

Oh God, I just had an idea about Neal's looks, considering how the writing is imo propping the Ex (pure speculation, no spoiler). I think that everytime, the little girl was there.

I bet you that she had a miscarriage, maybe far along in the pregnancy. It would "absolve" her of leaving him, because she was upset and needed to grieve, et voila. Who could  resent the poor girl, then?

And I'm afraid that anyway, it will end on a cliffhanger (not only the love triangle/quadrangle, but everything) in spite of an uncertain renewal.

I have to say, I had this same thought about her having had a miscarriage last episode, but I don't remember what make me think that. It was some scene that just gave me that feeling. At the time I dismissed it thinking the writers wouldn't go there, but after this week you may be right. If they go that route, I really hope Neal is the one to confide in Christa about it instead of it coming out some other way. And you are right that would be a surprise to her as far as how involved they were before she left as the next episode description says. Which previously my only other thought on that was that they were either engaged or he had asked her to marry him and instead she left. There is some pain there on his end, that is for sure, I just don't know where that pain is coming from. It feels like either way, if they go the miscarriage route or not, he is lacking closure and while I don't think he wants her back, he needs to find a way to get the closure in order to move forward.

Yes, I agree there will likely be cliffhangers all around. Which I honestly wish they wouldn't do if for no other reason than the fact that a renewal, while looking better, is still very uncertain and I hate unfinished storylines.

• Love 2

Yes, we have not just one but two love quadrangle if you want to get right down to the nitty gritty of it, with Campbell actually making appearances in both. We've got Christa/Neal/Grace/Campbell on one hand and Mario/Angus/Heather/Campbell (well I don't know if that counts as a love quadrangle but still) on the other hand. Seriously? What in the soapy hell is this? This is exactly how to ruin a show for me.

Now Neal. I don't know where they are going with his character. While he has been shown to love surgery previously, I just don't see the same enjoyment from him that he got when he was in the ER, and while some of that has to do with Campbell, I don't think that is all of it. I am not sure he knows what he wants to do and he seems rather lost lately. Both professionally and personally. Now, with Christa, on one hand he continues to try to reassure her that Grace is his past, but yes, those looks are disheartening. I also don't think he is fully understanding what the whole situation is doing to Christa. But, I will say he did at least show some concern which is better than the last episode. When they first spotted Grace in the hall way at the end, he immediately sensed something was wrong and asked Christa if she was ok. And after the shared look with Grace that caused Christa to walk away, his attention focused back on Christa and her reaction. I honestly think he is just not sure how to go about handling everything, and as a result it's coming across wrong. However, if that's not the case, if he is truly waffling, than I want Christa to tell him in no uncertain terms that he is either in a relationship with her or he isn't. She deserves better than that. After all she has been through she deserves someone who loves and wants to be with her. If Neal can't do that because he is too hung up in the past, than let her walk away and find someone who can. Which is hard to say since I really do love them together.

I think this episode was much better then the last one, the pace when back to the regular pace of the episode, there was a lot more action during the whole episode . 

I do not see the quadrangles so much since most of them ended and I think this is more of the backlash of it all.

I did like that someone called Christa on how she gets too involved with her patients and it had to come from someone on the out side(the only other one would have been mike)  , and I am glad grace told her in the end that she probably would have done the same mistake as a resident in, I think she felt bad about the whole situation at that point,  but on the other hand I do not like the whole passive aggressive part and her pining for neal.  She should not have said a word about the scarf and her looking at neal all the time it made her seem petty, I hope the new surgeon will help her get over neal . 

I do not think neal is "waffling, and flat-out lying to Christa" I think he is just overwhelmed by the situation and although they showed him to be a great people person I think they also showed him not being the best at talking about relationships and he tries to avoid confrontation, so this is what he does.   

I think the whole change from er to surgery is hurting the neal character, it went from neal being the awesome er "dr everyone whats" and likes  ( and episode 13 showed how nice he is to the patients and their familys ) to a mediocre surgeon who has no interaction with any patients and almost no interaction with the other doctors, ( I liked the Heather pinkey tried to defend him in the or ). This is probably ok from a reality stand point, I do not expect him to be the best surgeon and there is a learning curve but it does hurt the character who was a people person from episode one. I hope they have a small time jump next season so neal will be a better surgeon by then, and show him interact with people more, or move him back to the ER.

Leanne on the other hand, had a better transition from being an er dr to a director, I liked that transition better, they show how hard the transition is for the character but how she is trying to stay herself in the process.     

• Love 4

I nearly heaved my remote at the TV when we had fake zombies flood into the ED.  It's yet another plot they cribbed from ER, and zombies are beyond tired now.

I'm glad I didn't, because the rest of the episode was much stronger, except for the soap opera shit.  I don't want a straight-up medical procedural, but I'd much rather we have more stuff in service of plots about other things, like career issues and patients and stuff.  I know we've got Leanne's growing pains at her new job, but that's getting a lot less traction than the high jinx with Heather and Christa and Neal's stuff.  

Also, if the hospital is hurting for money to pay nurses, maybe they shouldn't have hired an extra attending just for the purposes of disrupting one of their couples.

• Love 6

Also, if the hospital is hurting for money to pay nurses, maybe they shouldn't have hired an extra attending just for the purposes of disrupting one of their couples.

I want to marry this. And I couldn't agree more with what you said about the nature of the storylines. 

I did like that someone called Christa on how she gets too involved with her patients and it had to come from someone on the out side(the only other one would have been mike)  , and I am glad grace told her in the end that she probably would have done the same mistake as a resident in, I think she felt bad about the whole situation at that point,  but on the other hand I do not like the whole passive aggressive part and her pining for neal.  She should not have said a word about the scarf and her looking at neal all the time it made her seem petty, I hope the new surgeon will help her get over neal . 

I do not think neal is "waffling, and flat-out lying to Christa" I think he is just overwhelmed by the situation and although they showed him to be a great people person I think they also showed him not being the best at talking about relationships and he tries to avoid confrontation, so this is what he does.  

I don't think that he waffles or lies yet. But if it happens next week that he isn't over Grace, after he repeatedly told Christa that he was, then I won't see how else to call it.

I wouldn't mind Grace just pining for Neal. Even if she left him just because of her career, she'd be entitled to regret her decision and mourn their relationship. You don't switch your feelings on and off, it isn't that easy. It wouldn't make me want her with Neal but I'd feel sympathy for her. Everybody makes mistakes, and I hold it true for every character, even those I have no use for. What I can't stand is her hypocrisy, how she pretends to be all noble and generous whereas she undermines Christa with her passive aggressive crap and goes all bedroom eyes whenever Neal is in the vicinity.

As for Christa, I rewatched the beginning of the season and incredible, she was one of those who knew how to talk to the entourage. She (and Leanne) didn't throttle the annoying immigrant mother with her "do you have children", she was the one who convinced the young son to let her father go etc. She was always emotionally involved, but it didn't make her "avenging angel" agressive like now. The change happened in the additional episodes. Mm, I wonder why. But I have my guess.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

The zombie thing didn't bother me too much, but I thought it was a bit silly that a man from the convention accident came into the ER still carrying his fake axe, because sure, you just suffered a traumatic accident, and the first thing you do is run over to make sure your prop is intact.  Right! 

I won't even get started on Neal/Christa/Grace except to say that I am very disappointed with the way things are playing out. 

Oh Angus!  I hope they don't ruin this character with drug addiction.  He is so very likable.

• Love 4

The suit needed a slap when he told Malaya not to do the pregnancy test. If the patient hadn't spoken up they could've missed the ectopic pregnancy, then the hospital would've been liable, and he would've lost his job.

Also, didn't one of them make a comment a pregnancy test would take too long?  The longest part of a u-preg is waiting for a sample.  [My Hospital] doesn't even bother sending them to the lab, the nurses run them in one of our supply rooms.

I hated Christa's case this week, I really hate false victims of abuse, it's up their with false rape claims for me. It plant in the public's mind that most kids are lying about abuse, when the likelihood is the opposite.

Yeah. 1% of false claims, and every victim is a liar. Although 99% of rapists/abusers lie by saying "it wasn't me".

The teen actor was very good, though, at playing the little piece of shit.

Ratings are down to 1.2. But...but soapy drama was supposed to bring in the demo! (It is bitterness).

• Love 2

You don't switch your feelings on and off, it isn't that easy.

No, but you do shut up about them, if you're an adult.  Unless you deliberately plan to disrupt what's going on now and try to squeeze back in.  

"Nice Scarf!"  Yeah, you recognize the scarf, now shut your face instead of trying to make everyone feel guilty and embarrassed!

Christa should have tossed her the scarf, and said "Hay, tek it back!  Da' all yuh gettin' back!"  (Since that scene is in my head, it is in the local dialect...)

• Love 6

The zombie thing didn't bother me too much, but I thought it was a bit silly that a man from the convention accident came into the ER still carrying his fake axe, because sure, you just suffered a traumatic accident, and the first thing you do is run over to make sure your prop is intact.  Right! 

Not to mention I think that freaked Mike out, and rightly so being that they recently had two staff members attacked in the hospital by a crazed lunatic.

As for Christa, I rewatched the beginning of the season and incredible, she was one of those who knew how to talk to the entourage. She (and Leanne) didn't throttle the annoying immigrant mother with her "do you have children", she was the one who convinced the young son to let her father go etc. She was always emotionally involved, but it didn't make her "avenging angel" agressive like now. The change happened in the additional episodes. Mm, I wonder why. But I have my guess.

I've noticed that change in Christa's character too. I am curious as to what your guess is for the reason.

Yeah. 1% of false claims, and every victim is a liar. Although 99% of rapists/abusers lie by saying "it wasn't me".

Ratings are down to 1.2. But...but soapy drama was supposed to bring in the demo! (It is bitterness).

That is probably one of my biggest issues with the false abuse claim, it puts the wrong thought out there. And I am sorry, while I do agree with Grace that Christa went about it wrong in the beginning and shouldn't have been accusatory, the injuries he had and his attitude about them pointed right towards abuse. I would rather someone air on the side of caution then let it slide and end up with a very damaged, possibly dead kid as a result.

Yep, the ratings are down. While they may adjust up some when the official numbers come in (hoping so), currently they are just above their season low. However to be fair, ratings are down for most everything this week. Add to that the fact that CBS programming was all over the place last night, Code Black had no lead in from Criminal Minds, and in several areas ball games made the episode not even air until the middle of the night and I am actually surprised the ratings didn't fall farther than they did. It will be interesting to see what the live +3 ratings are. However, the problem is they are not in a position to be able to absorb those low ratings, every week matters now. I am hoping the finale can get them near their season high and help their ending average so there is some hope for a season 2.

• Love 1

No, but you do shut up about them, if you're an adult.  Unless you deliberately plan to disrupt what's going on now and try to squeeze back in. 

Oh, I hear you.

I meant that if, for example, GrEx had told Mike or Leanne "Neal let Christa wear my scarf and I feel sad about it", or "it's hard to get over Neal" I'd have been sympathetic. That's how she feels, and since it's TV and we can't see inside her head, it would have been the neutral way of letting the viewer know.

Letting Neal and Christa know how she feels? Deliberate sabotage, to put a strain on the relationship.

As for my little solace:

1) Neal let Christa wear the scarf. He peed on GrEx, and not to mark his territory. Take that, bitch in sheep's clothing!

2) Christa said "I let her get under my skin." She knows what the other is trying to do.

3) Neal didn't deny that GrEx was trying to get under Christa's skin. He didn't defend his ex. Major points for Team Christeal. And for Neal, because the guy is so often dumbly blind about passive aggressive maneuvers, especially on TV.

I've noticed that change in Christa's character too. I am curious as to what your guess is for the reason.

Because that's when GrEx came into play, imo. It seems that the writers thought of Gina as the roadblock at first. My personal theory is they realized it'd make no sense for Neal to have a sudden attraction to a woman he didn't know from Adam and quickly act on it. It would be going against the character DNA and make him look like a vain player, imo. An ex whom he has deep tiiies with is a whole other business.

As for Christa's change per se, IIRC until 1x15 she was mostly criticized for being too perfect. Yet it happens that for some obscure reasons and in spite of an already big ensemble cast that doesn't leave enough screentime to main characters (see: Guthrie, Rollie) the writers  didn't want to go for a mere disposable roadbloack and thought that a new female character was needed (maybe lesbians aren't useful enough for soapy shenanigans?). They had to make the new girl sympathetic. But how could they, against Christa? Well, easy. Have the audience turn against Christa. And making women "too emotional", with snappy/aggressive sides, is the surest way to have at least part of the audience automatically root against them, even when they're an absolute fan favorite (See: Smoak, Felicity, Arrow S3).

QED.

Edit about the ratings: The highest-rated (demo+ viewers IIRC) since the hiatus was the one promoted with the Christa/Neal kiss. I can tell you that I'm very curious about the choice of sneak peeks for the season finale.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

How does a fertilized embryo that is implanted in the uterus turn into an ectopic pregnancy?  Is there a tidal backwash there?

Also, isn't Code Red a fire?

My favorite plot was the Zombie family. Yes, it was stolen from many shows, from ER to Saving Hope, but it ended happily and was realistic enough.

I also really like Angus' story, as long as Heather isn't in the scene.  What is the point of Heather other than to annoy?  I did laugh when she explained that she doesn't have ADHD but as a surgeon she needs Adderall to keep working. If she really had ADHD, the surgeries would interesting enough that she wouldn't need the Adderall.

Did I miss the end of the boot camp kid?  Even if the head of the camp wasn't doing the abuse he came in with, there are some very serious problems there (e.g. burning himself with cigarettes) that it's pretty obvious the boot camp isn't helping.  There may not have been physical abuse but it sure seemed like there was emotional abuse there.  Whatever the kid was doing, it was a cry for help.  Instead of more surgeons, what this hospital needs is some competent psych help because they fail every time.

That may take my vote for Worst Storyline because he was misdiagnosed and not treated.

I feel sorry for Bonnie Somerville these days because what are they doing to Christa?  She's passed being the champion of her patients into "doesn't think" territory the last three episodes.  Did they get scared she was being too popular?

Speaking of emotions, what was it with this show that if you feel, it doesn't matter if you break the law?  Leanne was right, the last thing the woman said before she went into surgery was that she didn't want to see her husband and legally they have to keep him out. But Harbert just walks right in with him and it's a touchy-feeling crying moment as she's (written to be) glad he's there.  Also, why was the patient she back in the ER after surgery? Shouldn't she be on the gyn floor?

I still don't like Campbell but wow did Lamont Thompson nail the French parts. 

I got the opposite impression from the Christa/Grace locker room scene.   Grace may no longer be with Neal but she still has feelings for him.  To see his new girlfriend wearing a present she gave him and that he passed on to his new woman without a thought must have hurt.  Telling Christa that the scarf looked good on her was rubbing salt in her wound as a way to make herself move beyond it.  Christa saying that it must have been a present to Neal because he doesn't have time to shop (I thought he was an attending, not a resident) was insensitive because she shouldn't be reminding Grace that she had Neal and doesn't have him any more, but human.

I got the opposite impression from the Christa/Grace locker room scene.   Grace may no longer be with Neal but she still has feelings for him.  To see his new girlfriend wearing a present she gave him and that he passed on to his new woman without a thought must have hurt.  Telling Christa that the scarf looked good on her was rubbing salt in her wound as a way to make herself move beyond it.  Christa saying that it must have been a present to Neal because he doesn't have time to shop (I thought he was an attending, not a resident) was insensitive because she shouldn't be reminding Grace that she had Neal and doesn't have him any more, but human.

I isn't Christa who mentioned the scarf. It's Grace.

1) No one had a gun pointed to her head and ordered her to talk about it. The whole conversation wouldn't have taken place if she didn't deliberately choose to remark on it after she recognized the scarf, and set herself up to be reminded of her ex's status. Which, indeed, she was reminded of by Christa wearing the scarf. Or maybe, Christa shouldn't borrow some of her boyfriend's clothes if she likes them, and condition her whole relationship to what the ex might think. Oh, or maybe, she should also stop sleeping with Neal altogether and break-up with him, in order to spare poor Grace's feelings?

2) Christa had no idea that the scarf was Grace's. It was made extremely clear. So I don't see how it could have been insentive on her part to mention that it must have been a present. As in, from someone obvious,  like his mother (whom she knows). I mean, seriously. How could anyone in Christa's place imagine that it was a present from Grace, after Grace herself made it a topic of conversation and complimented her on it? Anyone in their right mind, of course.

If Grace wanted the compliment to be a mean to move on, she should have stopped there and not made a face afterwards in order to let Christa know. I would have thought, "classy". I wanted to, because I wanted this storyline to be better than it is.

Edit: Oh, fuck. The ratings have been adjusted down to 1.0. Lowest ever.

This bullshit is going to get the show cancelled. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 4

How does a fertilized embryo that is implanted in the uterus turn into an ectopic pregnancy?  Is there a tidal backwash there?

At least in animals embryos have a few weeks where they are able to move around the uterus so I guess is is possible it can get out by mistake or someone implanted the embryo in the wrong place (depending on how the procedure was done).

From my understanding the codes in this er are based on the original documentary and it is different from hospital to hospital.  Here code red just before code black. 

Edit: Oh, fuck. The ratings have been adjusted down to 1.0. Lowest ever.

bummer, I wounder if the basketball game and all the trouble with the broadcasting had anything to do with this, because then it would be worse, loosing a show because of bad timing . 

Edited by silverbell
  • Love 2

I also really like Angus' story, as long as Heather isn't in the scene.  What is the point of Heather other than to annoy?  I did laugh when she explained that she doesn't have ADHD but as a surgeon she needs Adderall to keep working. If she really had ADHD, the surgeries would interesting enough that she wouldn't need the Adderall.

If she really had ADHD, it wouldn't matter how interesting the surgery is. It could be the most interesting thing she'd ever seen and she'd still have trouble maintaining focus.

Code red is (typically) a fire, but I've basically accepted that the codes on this show don't match those of any hospital I've ever worked in in real life.

I had never heard of code black as anything other than "bomb threat" until I saw commercials for this show before it first aired, and I was extremely confused at first, because I wondered how in the world they were going to justify a bomb threat in every episode.

• Love 1

bummer, I wounder if the basketball game and all the trouble with the broadcasting had anything to do with this, because then it would be worse, loosing a show because of bad timing . 

I hope so because such a big adjustment isn't usual and I don't want the show to end on that crap. If it could be a wake-up call and S2 to correct the mistakes made lately...

I think that the people who had the excellent idea to cut the Neal/Gina kiss had better play with the scissors again. Quickly, before next week.

• Love 1

I hope so because such a big adjustment isn't usual and I don't want the show to end on that crap. If it could be a wake-up call and S2 to correct the mistakes made lately...

I think that the people who had the excellent idea to cut the Neal/Gina kiss had better play with the scissors again. Quickly, before next week.

from my understanding the duke game hurt the rating the whole night, I just hope next week there is no big game otherwise it is all over...  

• Love 2

This bullshit IS going to get the show cancelled.  I don't even pay attention to the social drama among all the pretty people; I'm just in it for the hospital stories--which are being edged out by the twosomes, threesomes, foursomes?

Exhausted ER doc takes a speeder to stay upright?  Shocker.  I hope they don't feel the need to make Angus go full Reefer Madness with that.  I got through some tough sleep-deprived times in law school thanks to the occasional yellowjacket and I wasn't exactly cracking chests.

• Love 1
I nearly heaved my remote at the TV when we had fake zombies flood into the ED.

I was channeling an old (OLD!) Kingston Trio song called Zombie Jamboree the whole time. "Zombie Jamboree, take place in a New York Cemetery; Zombies from all over the Island, some of them great Calypsonians..."  There's also a line somewhere in there about "Can you imagine me with a zombie wife?"

Perhaps, but then they would have to adjust all those monitors to change their flashing codes.

Continuity question:  During Campbell's surgery, he asked for a suture.  He was handed what I thought was a scalpel.  Did I get it wrong?

I thought Mama really nailed it this episode, and in different situations.  He definitely let Leanne know that she might be on notice for the nursing shortage, even though they are the best of friends.  And the way he cheered up the fiancee' was pure gold.

• Love 2

Because that's when GrEx came into play, imo.

As for Christa's change per se, IIRC until 1x15 she was mostly criticized for being too perfect. Yet it happens that for some obscure reasons and in spite of an already big ensemble cast that doesn't leave enough screentime to main characters (see: Guthrie, Rollie) the writers  didn't want to go for a mere disposable roadbloack and thought that a new female character was needed (maybe lesbians aren't useful enough for soapy shenanigans?). They had to make the new girl sympathetic. But how could they, against Christa? Well, easy. Have the audience turn against Christa. And making women "too emotional", with snappy/aggressive sides, is the surest way to have at least part of the audience automatically root against them, even when they're an absolute fan favorite (See: Smoak, Felicity, Arrow S3).

QED.

I could definitely see that in relation to Grace being added and the writers hurting Christa’s character in order to make Grace more appealing. My contention with the writing for Christa’s character is to me she was already sliding that way before Grace entered the picture. To me the change over started in episode 14 with the DNR patient. Which coincidentally is also when she and Neal started seeing each other and the beginning of the back ordered scripts. Not saying its due to her relationship with Neal, but I think something has transcribed in the way the character has been written between the original episodes and the later written back ordered ones. I don’t know if they are trying to rewrite her character to some extent, trying to highlight her flaws, trying to let the distraction of a relationship within the walls of the hospital pull her down, or trying to merely prop up Grace. Oddly enough it’s not only her I see it with, I see the same issues with the writing for Neal’s character lately but not to the same extent.

Did I miss the end of the boot camp kid?  Even if the head of the camp wasn't doing the abuse he came in with, there are some very serious problems there (e.g. burning himself with cigarettes) that it's pretty obvious the boot camp isn't helping.  There may not have been physical abuse but it sure seemed like there was emotional abuse there.  Whatever the kid was doing, it was a cry for help.  Instead of more surgeons, what this hospital needs is some competent psych help because they fail every time.

I agree about the kid from camp, to me it felt like that story wasnt wrapped up correctly. At the very least he needed a psych consult. And perhaps more needed to be looked into in that camp, regardless of if they director physically abused him or not. The whole thing felt off.

Have to say I agree with Happy Harpy about the locker room scene. Christa walked in the locker room and polieltly said hi with no pretense. Grace is the one who brought up Neal when she began inquiring about something that was none of her business. She then went on to comment on the scarf knowing she was who gave it to Neal. Christa had no idea and at first took it as a genuine compliment/conversation starter. While I don't think Christa should walk around rubbing her and Neal's relationship in Grace's face, I also don't think she should have to tip toe around Grace to be sure she spares her feelings. If anything, Christa isn't the one making the whole thing awkward, Grace is.

While I could certainly believe the venture into soap territory is hurting the ratings, I do believe there is more at play than just that this week. Living in North Carolina, and being a Tarheel fan at that, I can tell you the game was huge here. In addition since Duke/UNC basketball is one of the biggest rivalries in sports it effects others parts of the country as well to some extent. I know here Code Black didn't even air until early this morning. I heard several on the facebook page complaining about the same thing. As mentioned add to that the fact that there was no lead in, the Big Bang rerun had just over 4 million viewers, so Code Black totally stood on its own and up against college basketball that kept it off the air in some places. Not saying that those ratings don't hurt, because they really do, but at least this time I hope CBS takes everything into consideration. Also, it makes it slightly better that CBS's other freshman drama, Limitless, had slightly less viewers than Code Black this week and it didn't even have the problems with programming that Code Black had, in fact it had a lead in from NCIS NO of 13 million viewers and yet still only had 6 million viewers.

• Love 4

I just finished the episode and only three things are still in the forefront of my mind:

1.  I agree that was some passive-agrressive bullshit in the locker room.  Last week, I wondered if Grace might be ok, but as soon as I heard the scarf conversation, I changed my mind.

I still don't like Campbell but wow did Lamont Thompson nail the French parts.

I don't really like his character, but any more of that French and I could change my mind.  *swoon*

3.  Angus:  I've said before that I don't mind tropes too much because it's tough to be original with so many shows about the same subject are out there, so I guess if anyone got the drug addiction story line, I'm glad it's him.  I know....sounds odd, right?  But, I think Mario would be too obvious and I really like the actor who plays Angus and think that he could do it well.  I'm kind of on the fence, though, about how I hope it will proceed. On one hand, I don't want him to hit rock bottom, but on the other, I hate it when writers introduce something big or important, then either drop it or wrap it up too quickly.  For now, I'll remain hopeful that they write it well.

I really hope they don't cancel the show.  I like most of these characters.

• Love 2

Oh Heather- first you break Mario's heart now you are giving Angus stimulants. One of the writers doesn't like you.

More Campbell speaking French, please. Double swoon. He seems to have a great bedside manner- too bad he's an ass the rest of the time.

Why did they make Grace into a passive aggressive ex? I was liking her character. Christa should have figure out why the Ativan wasn't working- rookie intern mistake (but realistic). I was thinking he had a brain bleed from being abused.

Not enough Mike this episode. Is tomorrow seriously the season finale? They better not end with a cliffhanger then cancel the show. I will cut a bitch.

• Love 4

At least in animals embryos have a few weeks where they are able to move around the uterus so I guess is is possible it can get out by mistake or someone implanted the embryo in the wrong place (depending on how the procedure was done).

What I was taught was that, the muscle movement causes the filaments to move the egg through the fallopian tube to the uterus, which makes it strange that here the fertilized egg would leave the uterus and travel back the other way to embed in the fallopian tube causing an ectopic pregnany.  Is there some other way it would happen?

If she really had ADHD, it wouldn't matter how interesting the surgery is. It could be the most interesting thing she'd ever seen and she'd still have trouble maintaining focus.

ADHD is not a lack of attention, it's an inability to direct attention properly.  As well as not being able to focus when the task is uninteresting, people with ADHD hyperfocus when they're interested, for example the surgeon who had two complete ER teams because as he tired one out, he would just start with the next one because he was so focused on the surgery.  I heard from a mother whose son's teacher wanted him tested for deafness. There was nothing wrong with his hearing but when he was focused on something he wanted to do, he didn't hear anyone who was talking to him.

People with ADHD take stimulants when they have to balance their chequebooks, not when they're doing something they love.

2) Christa had no idea that the scarf was Grace's. It was made extremely clear. So I don't see how it could have been insentive on her part to mention that it must have been a present. As in, from someone obvious,  like his mother (whom she knows). I mean, seriously. How could anyone in Christa's place imagine that it was a present from Grace, after Grace herself made it a topic of conversation and complimented her on it? Anyone in their right mind, of course.

The point where Grace should have stopped was before she said "you know Neal, he never has time to buy things for himself so it had to be a present from someone" because why would she remind Grace that she used to be so close to Neal and now it's Grace herself in the spot?  Or better still, stop after saying "thank you for the compliment".

They were both wrong.  I just see Grace as hurting rather than passive agressive.

Edited by statsgirl

I could definitely see that in relation to Grace being added and the writers hurting Christa’s character in order to make Grace more appealing. My contention with the writing for Christa’s character is to me she was already sliding that way before Grace entered the picture. To me the change over started in episode 14 with the DNR patient. Which coincidentally is also when she and Neal started seeing each other and the beginning of the back ordered scripts. Not saying its due to her relationship with Neal, but I think something has transcribed in the way the character has been written between the original episodes and the later written back ordered ones. I don’t know if they are trying to rewrite her character to some extent, trying to highlight her flaws, trying to let the distraction of a relationship within the walls of the hospital pull her down, or trying to merely prop up Grace. Oddly enough it’s not only her I see it with, I see the same issues with the writing for Neal’s character lately but not to the same extent.

Oops, I typed 1x15 instead of 1x14 in my previous post, but that's what I meant. I agree, it's since this episode. And in my conspiracy theory, they began to change her characterization before Grace arrived, but knowing she would.

I have the definite feeling that the writers grope around with the drama in the relationship and how it affects the characterization of both Neal and Christa. For example, the first description mentioned Grace staying at Neal's place and finally she didn't. Maybe there's a disagreement on the road to take.

Note to writers: don't try too hard. If drama is so complicated to write, it's because it's uncessary and will probably not translate well.

I hope you're right about the ratings and CBS takes the situation into account because I don't want the show to be cancelled.

Oh Heather- first you break Mario's heart now you are giving Angus stimulants. One of the writers doesn't like you.

Not enough Mike this episode. Is tomorrow seriously the season finale? They better not end with a cliffhanger then cancel the show. I will cut a bitch.

I don't know what they're doing with Heather. On the one hand, she supported Mike in front of the board, against her boss (mentioned by Leanne) and she's supportive of Neal. OTOH, she's the snake with the apple, I mean the Aderall (she all but force-fed him the pill) and a factor of friction between Angus and Mario. The moment she starts making gooey eyes at Neal, too, I'll be certain she's set to be the resident troublemaker.

And yes, not enough Mike!

The point where Grace should have stopped was before she said "you know Neal, he never has time to buy things for himself so it had to be a present from someone" because why would she remind Grace that she used to be so close to Neal and now it's Grace herself in the spot?  Or better still, stop after saying "thank you for the compliment".

They were both wrong.  I just see Grace as hurting rather than passive agressive.

Grace commented on Neal and Christa's relationship, and "you seem good together" implies she's OK with it. Doing that, she defined herself as Neal's friend, not ex with feelings for him. I think that's how Christa took it because she was nervous and on her guard before, but sounded relieved and relaxed after Grace's remark. So for me, she didn't try to remind Grace that she's now in her place, she recognized that Grace knew Neal and was still his friend instead of denying their history. She was trying, naively, to take the olive branch she believed Grace extended, imo.

Christa can be wrong, but in this particular scene I don't see it. And for me, Grace is hurting and passive aggressive.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 4

What I was taught was that, the muscle movement causes the filaments to move the egg through the fallopian tube to the uterus, which makes it strange that here the fertilized egg would leave the uterus and travel back the other way to embed in the fallopian tube causing an ectopic pregnany.  Is there some other way it would happen?

I found the ectopic pregnancy thing strange as well. I can't possibly figure out how implanted embryos got outside of the uterus.

I think I will have to agree to disagree on the Grace/Christa scene, which happens since we all see things differently sometimes. I just can not get where Christa was wrong in that scene. I do see where Grace may be hurting, but her behavior to me didn't come from a place of pain. Right off the bat she was asking Christa if her boyfriend had texted her. I know the scarf scene upset people, but that whole exchange bothered me even more than anything said about the scarf. With that one question Grace seemed to come across as very manipulative, not only trying to find out exactly how much Christa and Neal were communicating, but also perhaps planting insecurities in Christa's head on the matter. Then she notices the scarf and instead of leaving it alone she continues. Even then, Christa is polite towards her and carries on what I believe she thought was casual conversation. I just didn't detect any ill will on her part in that exchange. If Grace was truly that hurt upon seeing Christa wearing something she gave Neal, I think the last thing she would have wanted to do was talk to Christa about it. Yet that is exactly what she does. I personally believe it was because she wanted to let Christa know she gave the scarf to him as subtle reminder that she shared a past with him. Things like that is why she is came across as passive aggressive to me.

Now later on I fully agree Christa has an obvious problem with Grace, but I don't think it started off that way.

The moment she starts making gooey eyes at Neal, too, I'll be certain she's set to be the resident troublemaker.

If this happens I am tracking down the writers and showing up at the studio with my pitchfork in hand.

Seriously though, I agree, the writing for Heather seems so off the wall it makes no sense. She's sleeping with Campbell one moment, with Mario the next, and hanging all over Angus in the in between. She has a crazy schedule as a surgical resident working 36 hour shifts yet she has time to work in a cyrogenics lab even though she doesn't believe in it. Then to top it off she is getting others hooked on drugs, not to mention taking them herself. Then there are these moments where she seems to care and stick up for others (Mike to the board, Neal to Campbell, even the patient whose father was against surgery.) I feel like I am never quite sure what version of Heather we will be seeing each episode.

• Love 4

That is true in a normal pregnancy, this was not a normal pregnancy.  

After the embryo implantation the embryo has still a few weeks that it is able to move around the uterus until it attaches to the uterine wall so it is possible it  exit the uterus by "mistake" or there is a genetic or structural abnormality that caused this, which probably made her unable to keep the other pregnancies in the past. 

As I said there is also a small chance that they implanted the embryo in the wrong place .

• Love 1

I found the ectopic pregnancy thing strange as well. I can't possibly figure out how implanted embryos got outside of the uterus.

I think I will have to agree to disagree on the Grace/Christa scene, which happens since we all see things differently sometimes. I just can not get where Christa was wrong in that scene. I do see where Grace may be hurting, but her behavior to me didn't come from a place of pain. Right off the bat she was asking Christa if her boyfriend had texted her. I know the scarf scene upset people, but that whole exchange bothered me even more than anything said about the scarf. With that one question Grace seemed to come across as very manipulative, not only trying to find out exactly how much Christa and Neal were communicating, but also perhaps planting insecurities in Christa's head on the matter. Then she notices the scarf and instead of leaving it alone she continues. Even then, Christa is polite towards her and carries on what I believe she thought was casual conversation. I just didn't detect any ill will on her part in that exchange. If Grace was truly that hurt upon seeing Christa wearing something she gave Neal, I think the last thing she would have wanted to do was talk to Christa about it. Yet that is exactly what she does. I personally believe it was because she wanted to let Christa know she gave the scarf to him as subtle reminder that she shared a past with him. Things like that is why she is came across as passive aggressive to me.

Now later on I fully agree Christa has an obvious problem with Grace, but I don't think it started off that way.

If this happens I am tracking down the writers and showing up at the studio with my pitchfork in hand.

Seriously though, I agree, the writing for Heather seems so off the wall it makes no sense. She's sleeping with Campbell one moment, with Mario the next, and hanging all over Angus in the in between. She has a crazy schedule as a surgical resident working 36 hour shifts yet she has time to work in a cyrogenics lab even though she doesn't believe in it. Then to top it off she is getting others hooked on drugs, not to mention taking them herself. Then there are these moments where she seems to care and stick up for others (Mike to the board, Neal to Campbell, even the patient whose father was against surgery.) I feel like I am never quite sure what version of Heather we will be seeing each episode.

Considering she's abusing prescriptions I wonder if that might be deliberate on the writers part.  Mood swings are a common side effect of Aderall abuse . Hell the lack of sleep alone might be causing her to be of kilter. Although combining serious sleep deprivation with amphetamine abuse is solid recipe for psychosis. I  wonder if Heather isn't headed for a breakdown. In any case Mario's reaction to what she doing should be interesting considering his parents were junkies.

Speaking of Heather's I barely recognized Sprague Grayden (she was the zombie Fiancee) and I had been watching Jericho just a few hours before that. She looks like she got cheek implants at the very least.

Although I think all the character are suffering somewhat due to the writing. It could be network meddling but I wonder if its not the shortened season as well. The writers are having to accelerate character development to get them where they need to be for the finale.

• Love 3

The change happened in the additional episodes. Mm, I wonder why. But I have my guess.

The additional episodes really broke this show's neck. My take on it is that the writers had the first set of episodes mapped out and we got well-rounded, great characters with good stories. When the order for extra episodes came in , maybe with a couple of wishes from TPTB, the writers became a little hasty to come up with new story archs. And now we have a 2 triangles, one stalker and almost-death of a core member, several new recurring characters and a drug problem. I realize TV has become more fast paced but damn, you can't play all your cards at once.

As with Heather, she's so ridiciously contrived that I've come to understand her as a plot device rather than a character. The best thing about her are her Bambi-eyelashes and those are not enough to make me like her. And why does she always need to have relationship!talk infront of patients? Was she an intern at Seattle Grace?

Dr Campell is irrationally hostile towards Neal and he surely serves his role of arrogant/gifted/goodlooking a**hole but I still like him. Especially after speaking French like that. And yes I'm easy but there it is. He doesn't mess in a bad way with my favourite characters aka doesn't give them drugs so I'm ok with him.

And OMG, quick shoutout to Chris Gartin (the angry VIP). I love seeing him on my screen.

As for another thing I loved: little-zombieboy was sweet, even if he made peace with his stepmom a little bit too quickly but hey - it worked.

ETA: What's the test called that determines if the women talk to each other without going over men related problems? I don't think this episode passed.

Edited by Ely
  • Love 2
As with Heather, she's so ridiciously contrived that I've come to understand her as a plot device rather than a character. The best thing about her are her Bambi-eyelashes and those are not enough to make me like her. And why does she always need to have relationship!talk infront of patients? Was she an intern at Seattle Grace?

The best thing about Heather, for me, is that no main character is ruined in order to prop her. Unlike you-know-who.

Her characterization is clunky, and the way she is made the "resident pill-popping slut" disappointing because I thought she had potential until episode 13 (oh, surprise!). Since then she's used indeed as a plot device and as a prop for others, imo, but I guess that the writers have only eyes for the new ex in town now.

Imo, Mario even gained some depth and showed character development in several of his scenes with Heather -more maturity/respect for authority in 1x13, more respect and empathy with people in 1x16, and he revealed a need for more than sex in a relationship, which wasn't exactly a given for him at the beginning.

Same for Campbell. The first time I didn't hate him is when she broke up with him (or at least refused to meet him). An egotist like him could have held it against her and retaliated on the professional front, but it didn't change his attitude toward her. So I thought that at least, he wasn't completely rotten.

• Love 1

The additional episodes really broke this show's neck. My take on it is that the writers had the first set of episodes mapped out and we got well-rounded, great characters with good stories. When the order for extra episodes came in , maybe with a couple of whishes from TPTB, the writers became a little hasty to come up with new story archs. And now we have a 2 triangles, one stalker and almost-death of a core member, several new recurring characters and a drug problem. I realize TV has become more fast paced but damn, you can't play all your cards at once.

Your theory makes a lot of sense.  

With the way this show is going, it will burn itself out after about 2 seasons. 

• Love 3

Also, the case they had together was a male patient and a male guardian. The police officer involved in the case was male.

I'd have to re-watch the episode and pay more attention to see if it actually passes the Bechdel test, but I'm not so sure. I think there might have been a brief exchange between Christa and Malaya, but I'm not sure it was about something other than a man.

• Love 2

This episode will probably not ​pass the the Bechdel Test although not every exchange about their case was a stand in for Neal, 
But in any case the Bechdel Test is used more in films, I think it is hard to judge one episode of 45 min in the same standard, we should at least take into account more then one or two episodes to make the judgment for the whole series.

• Love 1

Also, the case they had together was a male patient and a male guardian. The police officer involved in the case was male.

I'd have to re-watch the episode and pay more attention to see if it actually passes the Bechdel test, but I'm not so sure. I think there might have been a brief exchange between Christa and Malaya, but I'm not sure it was about something other than a man.

It was about Neal not being interested in Grace anymore (be right, Malaya, please be right, for Neal's sake) so nope.

This episode will probably not ​pass the the Bechdel Test although not every exchange about their case was a stand in for Neal, 

But in any case the Bechdel Test is used more in films, I think it is hard to judge one episode of 45 min in the same standard, we should at least take into account more then one or two episodes to make the judgment for the whole series.

I absolutely agree about the whole series, precisely because it used to pass the test and I loved the show for it.

But the trend is down since 1x16 and the writers seem intent on weaving the crappy, low-rated, show-killing Ex Drama into the medical cases which automatically narrows the margin of non male-related female discussions.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

It was about Neal not being interested in Grace anymore (be right, Malaya, please be right, for Neal's sake) so nope.

I absolutely agree about the whole series, precisely because it used to pass the test and I loved the show for it.

But the trend is down since 1x16 and the writers seem intent on weaving the crappy, low-rated, show-killing Ex Drama into the medical cases which automatically narrows the margin of non male-related female discussions.

But again its only 2 episodes and its hard to judge a series this way. By the way 16 would pass the test since Malaya and Christa had the pregnant woman case and all their exchanges were on the case, so we are back episode 17 only.   

You are right about the downward trend in the last episodes, I think it has to do with the extension of 5 episode the series got and needing to write whole new story arks for only 5 episodes ( I think it makes things hard for the writers), I hope if they renew they will get 21-22 episodes from the beginning so this way they can develop the whole story from the beginning to the end of a season . 

• Love 3

So true. If they got the full season everything wouldn't be rushed like the last few episodes. Malaya and Angus would have had more time to adjust to their trauma, we would have had a lot of cute Christeal scenes before the dreaded triangle, etc. What a shame.

• Love 3

Mrs. Torqy and I were debating whether or not that was Sprague Grayden.

Whenever I hear the words "ectopic pregnancy" I visualize Ralph Bellamy practically spitting the words out in Rosemary's Baby. Paging Dr. Sapirstein....

Whenever I hear the words "ectopic pregnancy" I visualize Ralph Bellamy practically spitting the words out in Rosemary's Baby. Paging Dr. Sapirstein....

Don't do that.  It's not fair to Sapirstein.

• Love 1