Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1-3: High School Years

• Start Topic

Oh, good grief. I just realized the episodes aren't even being played in the proper order! They played the first six or so, and then it all went to hell. Dammit, TVGN! First the discount soundtrack, now whacky chronology? Grrr...

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

I will never understand why it's only THIS show that can't use the music in syndication/dvds, but not other shows. For example, if I recall correctly, Miami Vice had awesome music, and got to use them. I'm confuzzled.

I'm a diehard Dylan and Brenda fan. That said, I saw nothing that was a gutsy/game changer when that asshat chose Kelly.  I firmly believe it was because Shannen Dougherty was on her way out/when troubles started, and this was a way to set it in motion.

But that's just me.

• Love 7

I will never understand why it's only THIS show that can't use the music in syndication/dvds, but not other shows. For example, if I recall correctly, Miami Vice had awesome music, and got to use them. I'm confuzzled.

It's strictly a budgetary thing -- how much does each piece of music cost to re-license, and how much is the company buying the rights willing to pay.  TVGN strikes me as rather parsimonious, so I'm not surprised to hear they've gone with the replacement music.

I saw nothing that was a gutsy/game changer when that asshat chose Kelly.  I firmly believe it was because Shannen Dougherty was on her way out/when troubles started, and this was a way to set it in motion.

I think the behind-the-scenes stuff with Shannon started later in the season, long after the SOD/triangle was well under way.

And yes, it was a gutsy/game changer at the time. Today, triangles among lead characters isn't that big of a deal, but back then, when 90210 did? It was a first (especially as it wasn't your traditional primetime soap like Dallas or Dynasty) and that the fact that it involved 2 best friends made it even more juicy and delicious to watch. And once the show crossed the line with this story line, the status quo was changed and there was no going back.

I will never understand why it's only THIS show that can't use the music in syndication/dvds, but not other shows.

Actually, the original Melrose Place has the same issue.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I think I remember reading somewhere (might have been that interview producer Larry Mollin gave) that Luke Perry basically said he wanted a change of pace and wanted to do a storyline with Jennie, and that got the ball rolling with the love triangle. I also remember Shannen not being very happy about it, understandably.

I had not noticed the eps being out of order but I didn't watch all of them, just turned in here and there when I could.

We should put the important songs (Losing My Religion, Wicked Game, Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover, many more I'm forgetting...) on our iPod or cue them up on YouTube and play them at the appropriate places while watching the show!

• Love 4

I'm a diehard Dylan and Brenda fan. That said, I saw nothing that was a gutsy/game changer when that asshat chose Kelly.  I firmly believe it was because Shannen Dougherty was on her way out/when troubles started, and this was a way to set it in motion.

But that's just me.

I think I remember people complaining about the Roswell DVDs having music swapped as well. RE Dylan/Brenda: If Shannon hadn't been such a problem and wasn't booted from the show, I think they would have been endgame. Or maybe that's wishful thinking... They had better chemistry, dammit! Damn you, Kelly Taylor! **shakes fist**

• Love 3

I would think that the actors would welcome a love triangle storyline because that would be much more fun to play than happy couple and best friend.

And given some of the other ladies Dylan had in his stable, being his girlfriend didn't strike me as much of a victory.  I always thought he was more in love with the Walsh family life than he was with Brenda in particular.  Grass is always greener and all that.

• Love 4

I agree, Qoass. I think Dylan loved the Walsh family dynamic, and his place in it. And since he also loved Brenda and she was loyal to him, she was a great fit. But as soon as her family fell away and it was just her and him, he seemed annoyed at her at first, and shortly after his interest started to waver. I think if the Walshes hadn't allowed him back in, he would have gone to Kelly for good a lot sooner than he did.

From a narrative point of view, I think the triangle was a good idea. It spiced things up, it was well-written, and my teenage self thought it was sexy back in the day. However, I am strictly speaking of the summer. In contrast, that whole time in the fall when Dylan can't decide and both girls fawn over him? Not my cup of tea. It's a sad testament to two young girls if Cindy "Jim, what will I do, you're absenteee-heee" Walsh feels the need to tell them to have some pride.

Edited by Marie Claudine
  • Love 1
And yes, it was a gutsy/game changer at the time. Today, triangles among lead characters isn't that big of a deal, but back then, when 90210 did? It was a first (especially as it wasn't your traditional primetime soap like Dallas or Dynasty) and that the fact that it involved 2 best friends made it even more juicy and delicious to watch.

I think the Dylan/Brenda/Kelly triangle was good, but I can't really imagine the idea of a love triangle between lead characters was all that original.  I mean, I can imagine there may be variations on that plotline that present a new twist, but the idea of two people fighting over the same guy or girl was not something original 90210 came up with.   

It's a sad testament to two young girls if Cindy "Jim, what will I do, you're absenteee-heee" Walsh feels the need to tell them to have some pride.

Seriously.  I'm just glad she just didn't suggest they go have emotional affairs while wearing their dowdiest looking outfits. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

I was thinking about the episode where Brenda had to have a biopsy, after she felt a lump in her breast.

Now, unless things have changed, just how long did it take on the show? Because these days, it takes about an hour...And I also remember that the doctor wouldn't tell Cindy what she and Brenda discussed, right? And I'm scratching my head: as a minor, shouldn't Cindy have been allowed to know what was discussed? Cindy's the parent, yes?

Or should I just hand wave all that as part of my suspension of disbelief?

And I also remember that the doctor wouldn't tell Cindy what she and Brenda discussed, right? And I'm scratching my head: as a minor, shouldn't Cindy have been allowed to know what was discussed? Cindy's the parent, yes?

Minors in California have quite strong privacy protections when it comes to medical care.

You've received biopsy results in an hour?  Lucky!  I've always had to stress out for a day or two.

This is the medical appointment for which Cindy got all gussied up, right? 

You've received biopsy results in an hour?  Lucky!  I've always had to stress out for a day or two.

This is the medical appointment for which Cindy got all gussied up, right? 

Oh noooo. Still waiting on the results. I'm referring to how fucking long the actual biopsy took! It seemed it was done within 10-15 minutes on this show, heh.

Well, Cindy got gussied up twice. I can't recall if she did for this one, but I do know she did to help Brenda out with that store manager who stole all her commissions.

Watching "Spring Dance" (one of my faves), and after all these years a burning question remains. Were vegetable corsages REALLY all the rage, or was Kelly just making up crap?

Also, I applaud the writers for picking a random student to be the Spring King. It's shocking such a prestigious award went to someone outside (GASP!) of the gang. They wouldn't have done that in later years!

• Love 2

Also, I applaud the writers for picking a random student to be the Spring King. It's shocking such a prestigious award went to someone outside (GASP!) of the gang. They wouldn't have done that in later years!

Yes! I was thinking how refreshing and realistic that was. Who do you think wore the dress best between Kelly or Brenda? I'd say Kelly, because I wasn't a fan of those uber long black gloves Brenda was sporting.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

Kelly:  her hair looks cute up whereas Brenda's always looked better down.

Which has nothing to do with the actual dress but I still wonder how Brenda had such a good time up in the hotel room without mussing up that 'do.

• Love 1

I kind of liked the gloves so I'm going with Brenda. Kelly looked better in red, IMO.

Caught the ep where they suspect Dylan of stealing stuff from the club. In the pawn shop scene I was reminded that in addition to his surfing, drinking, poetry reading, sleeping around, and illegal car racing, he also apparently played guitar in his youth as well. That boy was quite well rounded, wasn't he?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'd also have to go with Kelly. I liked her hair, and IMO Brenda's gloves and hairdo just looked like she was trying too hard. But to be honest, I think both of them looked a bit like Minnie Mouse in that dress.

Brenda wins for my favourite line of the night: "Kelly, I don't give a damn!"

• Love 4

I forgot it was Tuesday! I would've loved to catch U4EA. So many quotable moments, from "I'd like to return an egg" to "Jones, take a cab" and my favorite, "This place is never again!" This was during the brief but enjoyable time when Brenda and Dylan were happy and Dylan was actually responsible. I know Dylan's angst was a big part of the show but I also really liked happy Dylan.

• Love 2

So glad to find this site, as a former TWoP lurker.

I watch this show almost every single day and I am so happy it is back on TV, even without the original music. I don't have the DVDs so I rely on reruns. I should never have deleted it off my Tivo.

Seasons 1-3 are the best imo since I am a huge Brenda fan. It still bugs me how differently ol Jimbo treats the twins. Bran the man gets into a lot more trouble than Brenda could even think of, yet he is the golden child. Still frustrating to watch. I met Shannen Doherty at Nashville Comic Con last weekend and embarrassingly ranted for a minute about this.

S3 while heartbreaking is still my favorite season. And I can't help but love the Summer of Seduction episodes even though I want to yell at my tv for Brenda to not take that Paris trip. And don't get me started with the S1 sleepover ep and Kelly's Dylan confession.

• Love 6

Aww now they've done it.  I LOVE!!!!  2,000 miles by the Pretenders and it was such a perfect fit when Steve left to find his parents and just replaced with some POS song.  I don't know how much longer I can watch it like this.  

I do love it's back on TV, but this music thing is really killing the enjoyment big time.

And I didn't notice til today that yeah they are skipping episodes are airing them out of order.  Steve leaves and they didn't play the episode with him in New Mexico at all. WTF?

I really wish another network with money would have picked up the show.

• Love 2

Home while recovering from surgery, and damn, but Ahhhhhndrea really is pathtetic; getting all jealous and acting like she's not when Brandon introduces Trisha, the Olympic training figure skater, etc. Like she and Brandon have some sort of understanding or something like that. It irks me, still after all these years, because I still remember high school, and never getting my nose out of joint and being so obvious about it, whenever a guy I liked, but who I was just friends with, would introduce me to a girl he liked. Not that it happened all the time, but y'all know what I mean.

And Kelly can just shut up about "making" David buy that "expensive" perfume for Donna's  birthday, as if Kelly is some miserly cheapskate. One who always paid attention to buy stuff if it was 'on sale' or along those lines. It's all so eye roll worthy. And watching that ("Fire and Ice" and the Chuckie one), makes me so angry that this Brandon, the good  brother, turned into such an awful douche and judgmental harpy.

Aww now they've done it.  I LOVE!!!!  2,000 miles by the Pretenders and it was such a perfect fit when Steve left to find his parents and just replaced with some POS song.  I don't know how much longer I can watch it like this.  

I do love it's back on TV, but this music thing is really killing the enjoyment big time.

And I didn't notice til today that yeah they are skipping episodes are airing them out of order.  Steve leaves and they didn't play the episode with him in New Mexico at all. WTF?

I really wish another network with money would have picked up the show.

Ugh, I know. I just watched U4EA and the rave music was killing me. Occasionally, they do air an episode with the proper music intact, but it's never the ones that I want. 

I just discovered BH 90210 was on TV Guide channel where I live at midnight...perfect show for when I can't sleep.

Last night was `Ice Skating Girl`. I always thought the part where the `gang` was tossing out forbidden foods she could now eat and Donna's 'only one per episode' line was "gum". This was also the episode with Brenda working in the boutique and was getting her commissions ripped off by the greedy co worker who had a car payment to make. Tune in tonight and we are back in season one where Brenda dyes her hair blonde.

I have never bleached my hair but was surprised when Kelly told Brenda to leave the bleach on over night. I am surprised she even had any hair when she woke up.

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 1

Well for once I managed to remember it's Tuesday so I tuned in and caught the Color Me Badd episode. Fun stuff there. The pure 90's cheesiness of CMB, Donna's second most memorable booty shorts (after the tree trimming ones, of course), fun Kelly snatching the maid's key for the elevator, shoeless Felice cavorting with her fling in the hallway. I think Tori did fairly well with that drama of that storyline, and I liked the little moment with Cindy confiding in her about her own almost-affair. Good old Cindy was always there to help Brenda's friends. I missed that in the later years.

I'm very glad CMB did not sing "I Wanna Sex You Up" at the end, because A) I always hated that song, and B) it would've been inappropriate to sing to Donna, what with her mom all sexing it up with some dude. Lol.

It was funny when Kelly is asking the band what it is like to have fans, knowing that is probably around the time fans started going crazy for Jennie and the rest of the cast and chasing them through malls.

• Love 3

Watching these brings back so many memories. The show started my Sophomore year of HS so I graduated in 1993 like them (although I was not a junior twice lol). So it was right in my demographic although I recall my mom as well as others watching it as well. Now watching it, it just seems so unrealistic. They just seemed to act too old for teens. I don't remember anyone like that in HS although I'm sure BH is much different. One thing that bugs me now is how Cindy was at first ok with Brenda going to Mexico with Dylan? It is way too lenient. I would never let my HS daughter if I had one, go away for a weekend with her boyfriend. And Dylan just seemed to be way to wordly for 17. He seemed to know people as if he had known them for years as an adult when his character was barely and adult himself.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1
I would never let my HS daughter if I had one, go away for a weekend with her boyfriend.

Nope, me neither. I always kind of took Brenda's side on this, but now that my little girl is approaching the same age - hell to the no!

But if I agreed to let her go (again: wouldn't happen), I'd be badgering her with safety questions immediately after agreeing. "You can go if you make sure to look up the emergency numbers they use in Mexico first. And you need to have sunscreen. And what kind of ID will you need? Make sure you check if the driver's licence is enough!" She would get in and out of Mexico very smoothly due to remembering my initial health and safety freak-out, even if I rescinded permission later.

• Love 1

nd watching that ("Fire and Ice" and the Chuckie one), makes me so angry that this Brandon, the good  brother, turned into such an awful douche and judgmental harpy.

What eps were these?  And did Matt Perry follow through with killing his father or himself?

I always kind of took Brenda's side on this, but now that my little girl is approaching the same age - hell to the no!

You could apply that quite a few things on this show. Watching it as a kid, you tended to support and side with the kids. Now, as an adult, not so much (see "Donna Martin Graduates"). Don't get me wrong, it's still fun re-watching this show for the cheesetastic awesomness that it is...but age does alter how we view some aspects of this show.

• Love 1

What the hell was up with Scott Scanlon's eyebrows? The actor who portrayed him was horrid and must have thought that over-emoting with them was a good idea. I saw the show when it aired and am now watching the reruns on TVGN. Right away, I realized that I was dreading seeing his earnest face with the dancing eyebrows again. It sounds terrible to say it but I wasn't sorry when he was killed off! 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 3

And what made all that worse was the fact that Brandon had sex in the house way back in season 1 and nobody batted an eye. Cindy fretted for about two minutes and Jim basically told him to be careful and that was about it. 

As Jim said "Brenda, it's different for girls, IT JUST IS."  I HAVE SPOKEN.  Look on my sexism, ye mighty, and despair!

• Love 4

What the hell was up with Scott Scanlon's eyebrows? The actor who portrayed him was horrid and must have thought that over-emoting with them was a good idea. I saw the show when it aired and am now watching the reruns on TVGN. Right away, I realized that I was dreading seeing his earnest face with the dancing eyebrows again. It sounds terrible to say it but I wasn't sorry when he was killed off! 

LOL! My 12-year-old self loved David (ugh, why?) but "didn't mind" Scott and found it sad when his character was killed off. Because of this, I still find the character mildly endearing (even though I now hate David).

That said, I agree 100% about Scott's dancing eyebrows! I just tried talking out loud to my pets while moving my eyebrows up and down with each word the way Scott did (because I'm cool like that) and I actually found it somewhat painful!

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

A bit of trivia: The girl who Steve won a date with on the game show, Celeste? Her mom in real life is Dyan Cannon. In the episode I'm watching now, Steve and Brandon were trying to find dates to the Lakers game since Celeste said she couldn't make it. Anyway, Steve gets a chance to make the $10,000 half-court shot. When he makes it, he high-fives people in the court-side seats. One of them is Dyan Cannon.

• Love 1

That's funny.  Dyan Cannon is a courtside fixture; she's a HUGE Lakers fan.

"Celeste" (Jennifer Grant) certainly didn't get her dad's acting talent or charisma, but I remember liking her with Steve.

They showed Donna Martin Graduates yesterday so of course I had to watch it. I had forgotten that Gil practically bullies Brandon into organizing the protest. He asks him what he's going to do about it and alludes to a protest, then when Brandon questions whether everyone would participate Gil says, "All they need is a leader. When I first met you I thought that's what you were" and he walks away. Ugh. What also bugs is that he pulls Brandon away from Andrea to plant the idea. Why not talk to them together? Andrea would be perfectly capable of leading the protest too. It just echoed that crap he pulled at the beginning of the year when he passed over Andrea to try to make Brandon the editor.

Of course no one can silence a crowd with his hand like Bran the Man, so I guess he was the guy for job!

I loved this show when they are still in high school! Watched the first season on Amazon Prime before my membership expires, and wished they had more seasons available. I remember being so jealous of Brandon's job at the Peach Pit (lol shut up!) and his relationship with Nat. Couldn't care less about those unrealistic sports cars or their teen vacation budget.

The first year of college was tolerable, but anything after that was nauseating.

• Love 2

The music change that really upsets me actually happens in an episode I don't care about lol. It's the one where Steve leaves to find his birth mum and 2000 miles plays while the gang all line up looking sad and 90s while he gets on the bus. I don't know what it is, but that song and the way they all stand there always feels like a seminal moment in an otherwise forgettable episode and without that song, it just doesn't work. With it though, it's like a snapshot of the best years of 90210 with all the original gang.

Wow, that was cheesy lol.