Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Clean for a Day

Artsda

Before Claire officially takes over Jay's closet business, she decides she must get the house in order and make the family clean out the clutter; unfortunately, Phil and Luke can't bear to part with anything, and Alex digs up old feelings when she finds Sanjay's sweatshirt. Newly into retirement, Jay decides to get a new hobby - piloting a plane - but the danger puts Cameron into a tailspin of worry. And elsewhere, Gloria wants to connect with Jay more and decides to pick up his favorite game of golf, and ropes Mitchell into teaching her. 

My bar has been lowered. .I kind of liked this one. I giggled a couple of times. But the bar is low.

I thought Clare was going to get caught digging stuff OUT of the donation box.

I thought Gloria already sort of knew that Jay was going flying and wanted Cam to tell her for sure.

I also thought the southern golfer coach was going to hit on Gloria.

What do I know heh

• Love 5

I thought Clare was going to get caught digging stuff OUT of the donation box.

I thought Gloria already sort of knew that Jay was going flying and wanted Cam to tell her for sure.

I also thought the southern golfer coach was going to hit on Gloria.

I thought the exact same things ari333, although I thought Claire might fall into and get trapped in the donation box.  I was POSITIVE Gloria knew what Jay was doing and was messing with Cam and I was fairly sure the golfer was going to hit on Gloria and Mitchell would have to decide how to react.  Oh well...wrong again!

• Love 4

Another decent episode, but of course Mitch would never think he is a bad teacher, and he's just too good to be a "good" teacher. Because as we've seen, the man can't: coach soccer, can't paint, can't do fundraisers, can't stand up to others, ect. I knew as soon as Gloria got better at golf with the instructor, they were going to show Lily learning from Manny better and playing great. However, the fact remains, they don't know what to do with Manny and Luke. This was about three episodes in a row that he wasn't phoning in his lines or had a point to the story. However, its limited and with Manny its: Joe says something weird or stupid, Manny corrects him or feels annoyed/jealous of his little brother, wash rinse repeat. 

I was laughing at the end when Luke handed Phil Rocky the rock and said: "You know why." 

Edited by readster
  • Love 1

I liked Haley going with Alex to Sanjay's house and being kind of supportive. It was cute when Alex and Sanjay start talking about parallel universes where they might still be together and Haley says something like, "Is this nerd foreplay? I didn't understand any of it." Then, amidst all the science talk Sanjay mentions that his parents are out and he's home alone, and Haley says, "I understood that!" pushing Alex toward him. That's what I like about the sisters' relationship. Haley doesn't always get Alex and often finds her annoying, but she still looks out for her.

• Love 10

I liked Haley going with Alex to Sanjay's house and being kind of supportive. It was cute when Alex and Sanjay start talking about parallel universes where they might still be together and Haley says something like, "Is this nerd foreplay? I didn't understand any of it." Then, amidst all the science talk Sanjay mentions that his parents are out and he's home alone, and Haley says, "I understood that!" pushing Alex toward him. That's what I like about the sisters' relationship. Haley doesn't always get Alex and often finds her annoying, but she still looks out for her.

Yes.

And I guess we are to infer that Alex got some action since her clothes were inside out. :-)

• Love 3

Ugh.

Phil knows how to "control his woman".

Having a storage unit full of crap you don't even remember is the key to happiness.

Getting back with Sanjay, not a step forward for Alex.

I can get that Mitchell is a bad teacher, because he didn't break things down and concentrate on mastery of the basics first, but "just feel it" is not a good teaching technique either.

• Love 1

Don't think Alex got back (as in  'committed relationship') with her ex since she told Haley that she got closure.

Cam wasn't there yet to hear the pilot tell Jay about feeling the plane's side to put himself on display for the airport ladies. But then Cam runs up and shows an open interest to the pilot.  Sure Cam is married not dead, but Cam's direct flirting seemed disrespectful to his marriage.

Edited by K-9

Mitch and Cam don't seem like the jealous types when it comes to each other. Like when their hot neighbor Barry (James Marsden) was squatting in their building, they were both openly drooling over him.

Not to mention Mitch wasn't even in the airplane. Cam's interest wasn't a serious one.

My parents are kind of similar to Phil and Claire in that my dad won't get rid of anything (except he hoards his own stuff, not our childhood memories) and my mom wants to throw everything out as soon as possible because she can't stand clutter. 

Yes.

And I guess we are to infer that Alex got some action since her clothes were inside out. :-)

I actually chuckled at Haley's play on words when Alex told her she got closure with Sanjay and Haley responded with something like, "yeah, your clothes-are on inside out." I also thought Alex calling Sanjay "Sans feelings" was funny too so maybe I'm just easily amused by puns.   

• Love 1

Though maybe it is better than what she's been doing lately -- hooking up with a high school guy whom she doesn't even seem to like much.

This episode was OK, though I found the flying gag way too broad and slapstick-y. Gloria's dream was fine, but knocking out the instructor mid-flight and Jay and Cam's "Oh noes, we're gonna diiiiiie" moment was a little over-the-top for me.

"Control your woman" was bad, but I thought Jay's "this guy's wife took golfing lessons to please her husband and now she never shuts up, hardy har-har" was worse. He managed to take something nice Gloria wanted to do and turn it into a sexist joke. I wish the show was better than that.

My nomination for favorite line, other than "closure-inside out" was Mitchell's "Here's to my father's 42 years in the closet...business." I knew it was coming, and I still laughed.

I was also surprisingly touched by the moment the kids had with "Chicky" when Haley lamented that she always thought Chicky said more than just "Happy Easter" when she was little. Speaks to the nostalgia of childhood memories and how everything always seems grander than it was. Really nice moment.

Lily still sounds like the same little girl from the past few seasons, but her looks have matured so much it's jarring. Regardless she is still one of my favorite characters and she acts circles around Manny and Luke.

I haven't seem Joe's snarky little line mentioned yet. When Gloria and Jay are talking about looking for a project they can work on together Joe pipes and with a snarky "hello" and they both brush him off saying mommy and daddy are talking right now, lol.

• Love 2

"I do not want Luke's dirty sock near my my mouth."

"It's seen worse."

Some might think he was talking about his foot; I choose not...

My favorite line was Cam's throwaway that it would be cruel to make Caesar the gardener climb another big fence (who would've guessed that Trump was a writer on this show?).  

Poor Chickie...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2

Mrs. Clutterworth was funny. ANd I liked Phil's criticism of her being an amalgam of Mrs Butterworth and Mary Poppins.

Soooo........did Andy disappear, or what the heck happened there? They spend several episodes getting those two together, now I am not even sure they are still dating.

Didn't really care for the Alex storyline because it does seem like a step back for her. Move on from your high school days. Others have mentioned how the writing for her is inconsistent and I agree. One week she is in college and they indicate she is moving forward to start enjoying it more, now she is back with her ex from high school???

I think as others have mentioned she just hooked up with Sanjay one last time for some closure as she herself mentioned and it gave her self esteem a boost because he admitted he was wrong and madly in love with her.

Soooo........did Andy disappear, or what the heck happened there? They spend several episodes getting those two together, now I am not even sure they are still dating.

Thank you! I cam here specifically to ask that Q! I want to see them together! (Altho AD has a new movie coming out soon, and he may not have been available.)

Even if the actor is busy or only is only under contract for a few more appearances for the season, they could have still easily worked in a line from Haley (or even Phil) in any of the episodes since the Christmas one. I'm sure some don't mind the Andy-free environment lately, but a name drop to acknowledge he's still in the mix would be nice. Of course, Haley's job is barely mentioned, just her still living at home status, so we shouldn't expect much.

Regarding Andy:

Sarah Hyland did some kind of YouTube interview a couple weeks ago where she said that Haley and Andy are together and we're going to see them interacting as a couple, basically in ways that contrast how different they are. So, this story seems to be playing out like the sitcoms of my youth, which used to do romance plots for an episode or two, and then not even reference the romance until several months later. I'm wondering if it will be closer to May when we see Andy again.

I think as others have mentioned she just hooked up with Sanjay one last time for some closure as she herself mentioned and it gave her self esteem a boost because he admitted he was wrong and madly in love with her.

Hooking up with her ex for closure and a self esteem boost is fine, unless he is still madly in love with her, in which case it seems kind of cruel. Not sure that's the kind of "progress" I want for Alex. I thought that they might be giving their relationship another try -- no strings attached, maybe it won't work, but not necessarily just a one-shot-deal either.