Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Regarding Joe saying he grew up in the South and he never heard people use the word "colored people."  Please.  I agree they were using the other word that begins with "N".  I grew up in Brooklyn in the 1960's (and still live here).  My grandmother (who came over at the turn of the 20th century comes from Italy).  She always used the "N" word, not because she was racist but because that was what black people were called when she was growing up and no one in her social circle thought differently back then.  My family would literally cringe when she spoke that word and we had to very patiently explain to her how wrong it was and never to use that word in polite or even impolite company.

On another note, what  is Joe's obsession with the film "Oppenheimer?"  Between the prime time special and the constant interviews with cast and crew, he's spending almost as much time covering this film as he does politics. You'd think it was the first time anyone had done a film or anything with regards to Oppenheimer.  Even this morning he did another interview with the writer director. It's like Joe is turning into a talk show host.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

i think it's a bit like how men are always like, "but he can't be a sexual predator, can he? Because *I* never *saw* anything?"

yes, hi, none of the racist or sexist shit happens in front of happy-clappy apple-pie dudes like Joe. because it has nothing to do with them.

it's insidous, and creepy and very much targeted. That's why it's all so f-ing terrifying.

Joe claiming that racist lingo wasn't a thing because he didn't personally hear it is just wild. 🥴

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

they sidelined Mika so much this morning at one point half of her right arm got cut off

image.png.9154937d0068e22075d37af14354de89.png

dude, I don't like this, nobody wants to see your grandparents in some sort of tense-ass lengthy fight, man i miss their comfortable human selves

also, where's Willieeeeeee *cries*

Pelosi congratulated Mika about something and Joe accepted the congratulations on her behalf and then hijacked the convo 🥴 UM. 

Love love love Nancy though. Such grace and poise everything is basically *chef's kiss*, always. 

i mean, now that she's unemployed, can she have an MSNBC show?? just putting that out there. 

• Like 1

honestly, today... *sigh*

Lemire said the Israelis are trying to recover, and I quote, some "ancient candles"

yes, well. as far as I understand it,  what they are trying to recover are some ancient ceramic lamps, you moron. 

Most ceramics need to be kept in a low humidity environment to prevent salt efflorescence etc. Also preferably at a stable temperature. And away from clumsy-ass dudes with clumsy ass fingers trying to stack them or move them or store them or you know, touch them.

thankfully, it's not like any of those things, or humidity is ever a problem in Fl --- oh, wait 🥴 *primal scream*

let's all say a quiet prayer for the  curators waking up every night with panic attacks over this shitshow aaaaah

• Like 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Not to be confused with my biopic, Wisenheimer.

omg ahahahahaha *chef's kiss*

brilliant!!

hopefully it will premiere alongside Joe's biopic, Backpfeifengesicht

also, I still want Schadenfreude! Schaumbad: The Movie, starring Ed Luce

• Like 1
(edited)

did they...take away Mika's chair?

she's been looking super weird and tense like she's...standing? 

people standing makes me nervous, like they need to immediately be offered a seat, and  tea, and fruit and pistachios and if they haven't eaten, yesterday's dinner microwaved. or my mom will smite me telepathically, if you know what I mean. aaaah

man it's so hard to root for her, she keeps finding new and creative ways to disadvantage herself, visually, audibly, structurally

Joe has a chair, why wouldn't they give Mika a chair?

here for Mara Gay at least

if another indictment gets handed down, are any MSNBC people gonna be around, or...? are they all in their thoreau-cabins thru September, come what may?

yesterday I clicked thru the lineup on DVR and literally no one was there. Except Katy Tur, who did a badass studio roundtable w/ Laura and Lisa, so I watched that, it was *chef's kiss*

Edited by neona2

also how come all these Oppenheimer actors are showing up for interviews with Joe right now?

Doesn't that count as work as in crossing the picket line?

not being snarky, genuine question

Just from my understanding no one is doing anything right now? for actors, out of solidarity etc.

but there they all are promoting this and blah blah.

None of it is making me want to watch the movie, good god 

3 hours ago, neona2 said:

also how come all these Oppenheimer actors are showing up for interviews with Joe right now?

Doesn't that count as work as in crossing the picket line?

not being snarky, genuine question

Just from my understanding no one is doing anything right now? for actors, out of solidarity etc.

but there they all are promoting this and blah blah.

None of it is making me want to watch the movie, good god 

Since the show became Morning Oppenheimer, starting just before the strike, it appears that all of the material was in the can already, and owned by NBC Universal. If it matters at all, Universal Pictures distributes the film /s.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Linda956 said:

On another note, what  is Joe's obsession with the film "Oppenheimer?"  Between the prime time special and the constant interviews with cast and crew, he's spending almost as much time covering this film as he does politics. You'd think it was the first time anyone had done a film or anything with regards to Oppenheimer.  Even this morning he did another interview with the writer director. It's like Joe is turning into a talk show host.

The events in the movie Oppenheimer took place during President Truman's administration. Joe's best-selling book on Truman devoted a chapter to the decision to detonate the bomb over Japan. Joe wrote that ending WW2 was important for Truman.

• Love 1

One day, a nuclear weapon will be used somewhere in the world, perhaps in the United States, and Scarborough will halt in mid-coverage and start bullshitting  about the Toronto Blue Jays or the Baltimore Orioles just because he needs to assert who runs the show.   It's aggravating AF.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I like Sam Stein but I'm super distracted by how wrinkled his suit is, good god. He looks like he slept in Lemire's 30 Rock Hammock

also why are they still making Mika stand? Joe has a chair, why can't Mika have a chair, it's crazy distracting

at least Jen Palmieri is here to make things more interesting

• Like 1

donny looks cute today, I will hear no dissent! Here for the blues *chef's kiss* 💕

at least he's a human who shows up with a real personality, everyone else on this show is so freakin boring

• Love 1
(edited)

Kind of stomach-churning to hear Scarborough rhapsodize about how "compelling," "intelligent," "well-spoken" and well-regarded conspiracy theorist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is/was.  Oh sure, Scarborough adds the caveat that everyone thinks he's gone off the rails lately (Kennedy, not Scarborough)(although I can see where maybe you thought I meant Scarborough), but building him up as someone in whom those positively qualities are present albeit dormant is still disturbing.

For a contrasting assessment of RFK's potential, listen to the first fifteen or twenty minutes of Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night.  O'Donnell went to school with him.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 5
  • Applause 4
14 hours ago, oakville said:

The events in the movie Oppenheimer took place during President Truman's administration. Joe's best-selling book on Truman devoted a chapter to the decision to detonate the bomb over Japan. Joe wrote that ending WW2 was important for Truman.

I know Joe fancy's himself as an student of history but it annoys me when he thinks he's the source I would turn to and read a book about someone I'm interested in and respect.

Besides where was Joe say twenty years ago? I wonder if he would have written about Truman then.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SG429 said:

Since the show became Morning Oppenheimer, starting just before the strike, it appears that all of the material was in the can already, and owned by NBC Universal. If it matters at all, Universal Pictures distributes the film /s.

I think Mika & Joe were supposed to join the red carpet for the movie's premiere. Cillian Murphy said it was a honour to be interviewed by Joe for the film.

34 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I know Joe fancy's himself as an student of history but it annoys me when he thinks he's the source I would turn to and read a book about someone I'm interested in and respect.

Besides where was Joe say twenty years ago? I wonder if he would have written about Truman then.

Joe wrote a book about President Lincoln during that. Joe said Lincoln played a vital role during the Civil War. Joe's books have been sold on Amazon and are part of the Library of Congress.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Love 1

Today's panel is excited about a new poll that shows Joe Biden winning the election if a 3rd party ticket emerges. The poll didn't provide any state-by-state analysis. Joe said Democrats should stop panicking.

Joe was upset yesterday when Michael Steele said the 2020 election was decided by 80,000 votes in 3 states.

Jennifer Palmieri noted that Jill Stein got enough votes in 2016, to let Trump win.

Joe mocked Jennifer for having PTSD over the poll.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, millennium said:

One day, a nuclear weapon will be used somewhere in the world, perhaps in the United States, and Scarborough will halt in mid-coverage and start bullshitting  about the Toronto Blue Jays or the Baltimore Orioles just because he needs to assert who runs the show.   It's aggravating AF.

Joe's knowledge of the Red Sox is unparalleled  in the cable news .

Joe could end up joining the Red Sox tv crew when he gets bored with Morning Joe.

• LOL 4
20 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

YES!  Finally.  Joe Scarborough in a suit, no socks, and white tennis shoes interviewing the key grip and catering assistant on Oppenheimer.  

Is it even still in theaters?

Joe found out that the catering assistant had to deal with some of the actors that are vegans & on a low-sodium diet. The movie turned out well because the crew were well fed.

Rev Al invited Joe to be part of the Martin Luther King march on Washington. in August. Mika could also march in the parade. Joe will be parading with umbrellas to symbolize black women voting in the rain, which helped Biden win South Carolina in the 2020 primary.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

You're on fire, Oakville! This is like the old days!

1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Is it even still in theaters?

Ha! The IMAX here in San Antonio had a major glitch at it's showing last night...no sound after 25 minutes and of course everyone was angry. People got passes and refunds to come back but the other showings are sold out and they can't get to see it. I guess it's Barbie for everyone now.

Jennifer Palmieri hosting a segment was a new thing for me. Joe and (especially) Mika seem so over this gig.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Cillian Murphy said it was a honour to be interviewed by Joe for the film.

Probably because: a) he's a class act;  b) he was exhausted from the non stop interviews actors do to promote their films, c)  he had no idea who Joe was, or d) all of the above.

Did Joe jump on the Dunkirk bandwagon back in 2017? Since he is now Nolan's biggest fan and all.  It has everything Joe claims to love: historic WW2 battle, Churchill, Christopher Nolan, Cillian Murphy. 

Actually, if you haven't seen it, it's on MAX streaming and it is a nerve wracking masterpiece.  

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Cillian Murphy said it was a honour to be interviewed by Joe for the film.

Joe then asked Cillian Murphy if he could guest-star in the Peaky Blinders movie as the leader of a murderous British football gang or perhaps Winston Churchill's evil twin.

• LOL 4

Someone needs to sit Joe down and explain to him that during the Oppenheimer interviewer this morning, wearing a suit and tie and then combining it with no socks and white tennis shoes goes well beyond fashion disaster.  What the hell was this man thinking?  It just screams "I don't give a damn" about how I look on this show.   I suppose once you start not showing up half the time, it's only a matter of time before you can't be bothered to dress like you care.  How long before he shows up in pajamas?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe found out that the catering assistant had to deal with some of the actors that are vegans & on a low-sodium diet. The movie turned out well because the crew were well fed.

Rev Al invited Joe to be part of the Martin Luther King march on Washington. in August. Mika could also march in the parade. Joe will be parading with umbrellas to symbolize black women voting in the rain, which helped Biden win South Carolina in the 2020 primary.

I kinda of had to laugh here. I loved the Rev's story of his family roots. But when he threw out the invitation to Joe to join him at the March on Washington this year there was nothing from Joe. Damn I would tune into see Joe there

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

I kinda of had to laugh here. I loved the Rev's story of his family roots. But when he threw out the invitation to Joe to join him at the March on Washington this year there was nothing from Joe. Damn I would tune into see Joe there

Joe was caught off guard by Rev Al's invitation. Mika & Joe were supposed to spend the day of the MLK march in Nantucket. Hopefully, Joe will get Mika to organize a KYV forum on the island during that day so he can get out of being in Washington.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Joe then asked Cillian Murphy if he could guest-star in the Peaky Blinders movie as the leader of a murderous British football gang or perhaps Winston Churchill's evil twin.

Or FInn's wife Mary's loudmouth uncle from America, and Arthur takes him out for drinks and he's never heard from again? 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe was caught off guard by Rev Al's invitation. Mika & Joe were supposed to spend the day of the MLK march in Nantucket. Hopefully, Joe will get Mika to organize a KYV forum on the island during that day so he can get out of being in Washington.

I was rolling my eyes so hard when Rev invited Joe I almost threw my neck out.  I wondered if Rev was just fucking with him, to see what he would say.  

"Damn that's the day we were going to see Oppenheimer. We already bought tickets". 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but will someone please get Mika a pastel sweater.  The entire country is sweltering in a climate crisis-induced (yeah, I said it) HEAT WAVE.  We don't need to see her in a black winter sweater.  Even Jen Palmeri was dressed in black.  Maybe it's to honor the late J. Robert Oppenheimer?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/19/2023 at 6:40 PM, neona2 said:

Love love love Nancy though. Such grace and poise everything is basically *chef's kiss*, always. 

i mean, now that she's unemployed, can she have an MSNBC show?? just putting that out there.

I share your love of Nancy Pelosi, but she is not unemployed.  She stepped down from leadership, but she's still in Congress.  Someone has to do the job.

16 hours ago, millennium said:

the Baltimore Orioles just because he needs to assert who runs the show

I believe everyone should be talking about the Os right now!  It's the story of the century!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Kind of stomach-churning to hear Scarborough rhapsodize about how "compelling," "intelligent," "well-spoken" and well-regarded conspiracy theorist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is/was.  Oh sure, Scarborough adds the caveat that everyone thinks he's gone off the rails lately (Kennedy, not Scarborough)(although I can see where maybe you thought I meant Scarborough), but building him up as someone in whom those positively qualities are present albeit dormant is still disturbing.

For a contrasting assessment of RFK's potential, listen to the first fifteen or twenty minutes of Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night.  O'Donnell went to school with him.

Infuriating when Joe went on about knowing "Bobby" for a long time and how "he's always been a good guy to me" and he's a really "gifted guy". O'Donnell's segment was steady, pointed and a realistic telling of the man Robert Jr has always been.

Joe didn't appreciate any reference to him not sharing a bed with Mika. I'm not entirely clear how the two always share a bed when they rarely seem to be in the same city. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but will someone please get Mika a pastel sweater.  The entire country is sweltering in a climate crisis-induced (yeah, I said it) HEAT WAVE.  We don't need to see her in a black winter sweater.  Even Jen Palmeri was dressed in black.  Maybe it's to honor the late J. Robert Oppenheimer?

Yeah, it's weird but that seems to be a thing now.  I've noticed so many women dressed in black on my local news stations, and the weather is in the 90s.  

• Like 1
On 7/21/2023 at 10:03 PM, chick binewski said:

Joe didn't appreciate any reference to him not sharing a bed with Mika. I'm not entirely clear how the two always share a bed when they rarely seem to be in the same city. 

wait what? Someone on air mentioned them not sleeping "in the same bed"?  

Maybe she's in NY/Nantucket/Maine/wherever the fuck she goes, and he stayed in FL to be with the kids during summer break? 

I can't imagine they aren't "together", just from the way she googoo eyes him when he's blabbering on about something that no one else cares about. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
27 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

wait what? Someone on air mentioned them not sleeping "in the same bed"?  

Maybe she's in NY/Nantucket/Maine/wherever the fuck she goes, and he stayed in FL to be with the kids during summer break? 

I can't imagine they aren't "together", just from the way she googoo eyes him when he's blabbering on about something that no one else cares about. 

One of Donny's "Brand Up"s was spouses sleeping in separate beds for better rest. Donny closed out the segment with a comment like 'I'm not referring to you two' and Joe responded with a slightly moody statement that he & Mika share a bed.

To me, they appear year-round to be filming in different locations half the time which was why I questioned the comment.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

To me, they appear year-round to be filming in different locations half the time which was why I questioned the comment.

Today they're filming from the state of not being on the show.   Really fed up with the MSNBC vacation schedule.   The last few weeks, the odds are about 50-50 that any given regular host will be at his/her post when you tune in.   I've had my fill of Jonathan Lemire, Jonathan Capehart, Symone Sanders, and the two Ali V's, Velshi and Vitali.   Especially Velshi.  Last weekend, it was like "All Velshi All Day."   They even let Michael Steele fill in now (who drives me nuts by laughing after everything he says).   I get that their regular hosts want vacation time but it shouldn't leave the network looking like it's being run by a skeleton crew. 

• Like 4

Ali Vitali has been rocking both Way Too Early and Morning Joe.  She can roll with the punches and she's always in good humor. She can be more than a straight reporter and hosts so easily. I don't think she's very old, wow.  Anyway I'm very impressed!

• Like 1

I guess when the “stars” of a show (especially a news show) are married, it resounds when they vacation because there is no real co-host to take over. Oh wait! Jonathan Lemire seems to always always always be there. “Joe you are so right” exhausts me. Click.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I guess when the “stars” of a show (especially a news show) are married, it resounds when they vacation because there is no real co-host to take over. Oh wait! Jonathan Lemire seems to always always always be there. “Joe you are so right” exhausts me. Click.

It's like a button they press. "Joe you are so right!"  Elise Jordan is a particular offender, though at least she smirks as she says it like it's funny 🤷‍♀️  lots of them say it and frankly it's embarrassing, they're clearly told to say it. Ugh.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, jenkait said:

It's like a button they press. "Joe you are so right!"  Elise Jordan is a particular offender, though at least she smirks as she says it like it's funny 🤷‍♀️  lots of them say it and frankly it's embarrassing, they're clearly told to say it. Ugh.

ETA: Mika has been hassling Lemire mercilessly for days on END about how tired he looks. It's your show Meeks, why not give him the morning off to take a nap instead of making fun of him? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

The show is always smooth and interesting when the wonder twins are away.  WHY do they get so much money and so much time off? 

I swear Joe has dirt on somebody at Comcast or NBC. Why else would they keep these two around. So many better people. Whatever happened to Yasmin? Is she still on MSNBC on weekends?  She is such a great host. I loved her and Ali in the mornings. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

The show is always smooth and interesting when the wonder twins are away.  WHY do they get so much money and so much time off? 

I can't tolerate the show without them.   Morning Joe is to serious political commentary what Mediaite is to the Washington Post.   When I want sober discussion of the issues, I'll watch Deadline Whitehouse.   I like Morning Joe for the empty calories.

4 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

Whatever happened to Yasmin?

She was filling in for Katy Tur today, who was -- you guessed it -- off.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, millennium said:

I can't tolerate the show without them.   Morning Joe is to serious political commentary what Mediaite is to the Washington Post.   When I want sober discussion of the issues, I'll watch Deadline Whitehouse.   I like Morning Joe for the empty calories.

She was filling in for Katy Tur today, who was -- you guessed it -- off.

Agree there is nothing serious about Morning Joe, but I can't take Joe for more than a few minutes. He's such a blowhard know it all. I often wonder if he knows he was made fun of in the pilot episode of "Girls 5Eva".  

I haven't had cable for about a year, but I sure don't miss Katy Tur. I'm glad Yasmin is still around tho. I really like her.  

• Like 3