Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Sinclair is forcing people to run must watch segments. Sinclair is an an antidote to fake news from the other broadcasters. New Guest Michael Calderone. Very good explanation of Sinclair Broadcasting strategy.

Joe's spray tan is gone & the lighting in his bunker is better. He is not wearing glasses.

It's an interesting discussion of journalism. Haas said it should not be a cheering squad for political parties.

Joe said that people trust their local anchors, so Sinclair is smart to make them read the scripts. I find it interesting that Joe said that Local anchors are more trusted than the national news anchors. Was that a cheap shot at Brian Williams?

• Love 1

I too hope Mika's mom is ok but I wonder if due to their continued absences and disappearances it forces the show to be more specific when they are not there.  I am glad that they are talking about Trump's impact on the stock market since pensions no longer exist (including for those people that are counting on getting theirs, geez what a world).  It's good to have Willie back and I still can't believe the difference in Heilemann between this show and when he is on with Nicolle in the afternoon (those two should have their own show).

Have they talked about those teacher strikes going on around the country?  Great segment on CNN about it, fascinating what's happening.

Ok, I finally actually glanced up at the screen.  Has Joe ever worn a pinstriped suit before?

Unless all these absences are due to multiple 'family emergencies', Mika's continuing, repeated empty chair status is beyond puzzling, or even curious.  It's entered conspiracy theory territory.  ---   I realize that, fairly or not, money buys a certain privilege; but I would still expect one or both of these dimwits to show up in the studio on a daily basis.  Or even on a somewhat regular basis.  ----   What a strange brew.

• Love 3
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Unless all these absences are due to multiple 'family emergencies', Mika's continuing, repeated empty chair status is beyond puzzling, or even curious.  It's entered conspiracy theory territory.  ---   I realize that, fairly or not, money buys a certain privilege; but I would still expect one or both of these dimwits to show up in the studio on a daily basis.  Or even on a somewhat regular basis.  ----   What a strange brew.

Dimwits . . . HEE!

I was just watching Margaret Hoover and John Avlos on CNN and MJ should study their tapes as they are a terrific example of you can be a couple and still participate in a great discussion without being disruptive and somehow making it about yourselves.

I am also glad to see that neither CNN or MSNBC seem to be following Trump down his Twitter rabbit hole today.  Good for them, I hope it continues.

Edited by Chloesmom
Spelling
  • Love 5

So, there is a panel with Willie Geist, and Heilemann in the apparent studio -- but Joe is in the bunker?  Or is he also sitting somewhere in the studio?  All the other MSNBC hosts manage to crawl to the studios. 

Man this is the most worried bunny I have ever seen, opening the third hour.  We agree, bunny!  (Just saw a tweet about the bunny that said it's nice that Scaramucci has found work.)

IMG_2595.PNG

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I too hope Mika's mom is ok but I wonder if due to their continued absences and disappearances it forces the show to be more specific when they are not there.  I am glad that they are talking about Trump's impact on the stock market since pensions no longer exist (including for those people that are counting on getting theirs, geez what a world).  It's good to have Willie back and I still can't believe the difference in Heilemann between this show and when he is on with Nicolle in the afternoon (those two should have their own show).

Have they talked about those teacher strikes going on around the country?  Great segment on CNN about it, fascinating what's happening.

Ok, I finally actually glanced up at the screen.  Has Joe ever worn a pinstriped suit before?

What does Heilemann do on Cackles Wallace’s show?

I saw the Teacher strike covered on NBC news with Lester Holt.

Teacher pay varies by state & school district.

I know that Property owners in Sarasota voted to increase school taxes to give teachers a pay hike. They make around 44k usd.

My American relatives in Buffalo are retired teachers. I think they pay teachers well in Buffalo. 

Mika & Joe used to do townhalls with teachers. I liked those shows

22 minutes ago, jjj said:

So, there is a panel with Willie Geist, and Heilemann in the apparent studio -- but Joe is in the bunker?  Or is he also sitting somewhere in the studio?  All the other MSNBC hosts manage to crawl to the studios. 

Man this is the most worried bunny I have ever seen, opening the third hour.  We agree, bunny!  (Just saw a tweet about the bunny that said it's nice that Scaramucci has found work.)

IMG_2595.PNG

Joe rarely bothers to leave the bunker in New Canaan Connecticut.hes the only guy in cable news to have this deal.

who is in the bunny suit?

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Dimwits . . . HEE!

I was just watching Margaret Hoover and John Avlos on CNN and MJ should study their tapes as they are a terrific example of you can be a couple and still participate in a great discussion without being disruptive and somehow making it about yourselves.

I am also glad to see that neither CNN or MSNBC seem to be following Trump down his Twitter rabbit hole today.  Good for them, I hope it continues.

Agreed. Dana Bash & John King were in the midst of divorcing each other. They were in better behaved than Mika & Joe are who are engaged.

• Love 3

You know what?  About their constant absences and the reason(s) for them?  I don't care.  Don't care.  So Meek-a is off for the thousandth time?  Maybe because of a family issue?  I don't care what the issue is.  They shouldn't have to explain it..other than the fact that one or the other is off a good bit of the time...or appearing from a different studio from everyone else.  Maybe Joe felt he had to explain it due to complaints from viewers about the frequent no-shows of one or the other of the hosts.  I don't mean that I don't care that Mika's mother or someone else in the family may be ill.  It is just that we have come to expect one of them will be off, so please don't give us an explanation.  If your fanny was in the studio every day (you know, like normal hosts) we would sit up and notice when you weren't there...and worry there was a family issue.  

I didn't explain all of that properly; just didn't know HOW to explain it.  It is just that one or the other not being present is business as usual.  God, this type of show could be SO good in the mornings.  People sitting around a desk, sipping coffee/tea and discussing current news and events.  Relaxed, funny, serious, crazy, solemn, etc.  The show comes in to our homes for three hours every day; we grow familiar with the host's strengths and foibles.  But we are owed some sort of professional behavior and a level of respect from the hosts and the network.  We aren't getting that.  And that makes me sad, because a good bit of the time the show IS enjoyable; but that is mostly due to the guests.

Sorry.  Pollen is everywhere, it was beautiful yesterday and we may get snow this weekend.  Mr. Kemper and I live on pensions;  we are used to seeing the stock market go up and down.  We are finally recovered from the bust of maybe 8-10 years ago.  But now a tweeting idiot has the power to bring down the market with the click of his keyboard.  I wish they would have Richard Painter on to show Joe how a rant is really really done.  He could eat Joe for breakfast.  Has he ever guested?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe said that people trust their local anchors, so Sinclair is smart to make them read the scripts.

Ratings and viewership are down according to a Jan 2018 Pew study.  I trust the sports guy to read scores correctly, I trust the anchors and reporters to hype stories or make themselves the subject of the report, I trust the meteorologist about as far as I can throw him/her. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe's spray tan is gone & the lighting in his bunker is better. He is not wearing glasses.

2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Has Joe ever worn a pinstriped suit before?

Pinstripes and no glasses? No, Joe, no.

33 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Pinstripes and no glasses? No, Joe, no.

With all of the financial advice he has been throwing around, maybe he's pivoting to the Gordon Gekko look . . . just add a little hair gel . . . Greed (and adultery) is good . . . :)

who is in the bunny suit?

Meek-a.  Maybe playing Easter Bunny to the orange oaf is preferable to playing footsie under the desk with Squinty.  That's pretty much her 'worth'. 

(edited)

Let's not forget James Carvill and Mary Matalin. M and J practically sit on each other's laps and everything about this is uncomfortable.

Oakville. Heilemann does the same routine with Nicolle Wallace as on MJ.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Meek-a.  Maybe playing Easter Bunny to the orange oaf is preferable to playing footsie under the desk with Squinty.  That's pretty much her 'worth'. 

Has Mika always been so absent? Not just the missing days on set, but her social media presence is weird too. I wonder why she doesn't even bother tweeting about politics like the rest of the MSNBC anchors. Nary even a politically relevant re-tweet thrown up there. Comparing her feed to Joy Reid, Nicolle Wallace, Stephanie Ruhle, and the others is night and day. Joe's feed annoys me (like, why is he retweeting the Pope so much?), but he does engage with the topic of his career.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, oakville said:

What does Heilemann do on Cackles Wallace’s show?

Oakville for me he is much more natural, engaging and frankly happy.  The conversations on her show flow so much more easily although they can have many disagreements but there is always respect.  It is clear that John and Nicolle work together well and neither seems to have the ego to wrench a conversation in their direction simply because they have to be right.  Nicolle is very good at always highlighting/thanking folks that are on her show with each episode via Twitter.  She is a gracious, thoughtful, prepared host which is a 180 from MJ.

• Love 3

And as for that Easter Bunny suit, only this administration could select such a bizarre costume for their Easter festivities.  He looks like the carrot was accidentally inserted into the wrong orifice.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Nicolle is very good at always highlighting/thanking folks that are on her show with each episode via Twitter.  She is a gracious, thoughtful, prepared host which is a 180 from MJ.

Her time as a panelist on MJ taught her what not to do as host of a cable news show.  I am amazed at how much I like her now.  Mika and Joe have really worn out most decent guests/panelists with their shenanigans.

Haven't seen Kasie for a while, I know she's on vacation, Kornacki hosted her show Sunday night, she should slowly try to disentangle herself from the living hell of JoMika. 

"I'd love to be on tomorrow Mika, but I've developed an allergy to self tanner fumes, also the doctor said I need to avoid situations that make me throw up in my mouth a little". 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

With all of the financial advice he has been throwing around, maybe he's pivoting to the Gordon Gekko look . . . just add a little hair gel . . . Greed (and adultery) is good . . . :)

DZ38fo-V4AAh3xl.jpg

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville for me he is much more natural, engaging and frankly happy.  The conversations on her show flow so much more easily although they can have many disagreements but there is always respect.  It is clear that John and Nicolle work together well and neither seems to have the ego to wrench a conversation in their direction simply because they have to be right.  Nicolle is very good at always highlighting/thanking folks that are on her show with each episode via Twitter.  She is a gracious, thoughtful, prepared host which is a 180 from MJ.

Thanks. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

A few pages back we were talking about the Morning Drunk episode. Here it is, kids, in its original glory. It's even better than I could have ever imagined.

Yee ha. Thank you much. That was one mind-boggling morning. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, XOQueens said:

A few pages back we were talking about the Morning Drunk episode. Here it is, kids, in its original glory. It's even better than I could have ever imagined.

https://archive.org/details/MSNBCW_20171127_110000_Morning_Joe/start/0/end/60

"And we have Jonathan Schmidt ... Schmiddy!"

Mika's obsession with her sleeves, the incredulous look on Heileman's face as he was introduced, the part where they peered into the camera and spoke to Trump as though he's slow ... so much to laugh at.

Getting back to today's episode, Elise's hair and makeup look great. 

• Love 5

Panel's back to psychoanalyzing an irrational liar's behavior. They can't seem to pinpoint his behavior. The Republican party's behavior. Or the voter's behavior.

David Ignatius is downright perplexed. Joe's plea into the camera was confused.

• Love 2

Wednesday Recap. All 3 hosts are in the NY studio together. This is a special day for viewers. Elise Jordan & Mika wore matching royal blue tops. Elise's hair is blonder. Watch out Mika! Elise could be joe's fourth wife. Ratner, was in the studio as well. David Ignatius got the fancy library spot. He was upgraded to club level Library from Kasie's basic library. Eugene was in an undiclosed location.

Joe bowed to viewer criticism and put his glasses back on.

Joe addressed viewers like they were on Romper Room Land.

Joe said Trump's tariffs were all wrong & will hurt trump voters.

Joe forgot the 2016 election results where Trump's anti free trade rants helped him win blue collar voters in the mid west. Joe forgot about  the term "Trump Democrats"

All of a sudden, Joe is worried about the stock market & Amazon. Amazon can save America's economy. It's also good for burglers who can steal your Amazon packages when they leave it on the porch.

Joe said Trump is protecting his brick & mortar real estate buddies.

Joe forgot that he used to support Small business Saturday & urged people t shop in small local stores.

Trump's attacks on China & Japan & other country trade practices is not new.

Joe was ranting at Trump over the post office.

No one knows the deal that Amazon got with the post office. Was it cheaper than other online companies?

Joe ranted at TRump for getting Nato allies to pay more to defend Europe.

Joe forgot that he used to rant about wealthy countries like Germany & Japan not paying for US troops stationed there to defend those countries from the Russians.

Joe started naming Conservatives who are free traders.

Elise Jordan used her trademark "I am frusssstrated with Republicans who won't stand up to Trump." line.

It cracks me up every time. Elise is free to go work for the Never Trump group and challenge the elected GOP politicians in the primaries.

Joe attacked Trump for being a liar and a liberal.

Joe said Trump & Clinton were big liars. Joe can't believe that Trump is getting away with lies.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, stormy said:

Panel's back to psychoanalyzing an irrational liar's behavior. They can't seem to pinpoint his behavior. The Republican party's behavior. Or the voter's behavior.

It frustrates me to no end how so many pundits seek to extract method from the madness.   My love-to-hate expression is "Trump thrives on chaos," as if the shit show foisted upon the nation every day is a well-planned strategy when it seems obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that Trump is flailing.   The ship of state is fogbound in the Bermuda Triangle, but for some inexplicable reason the pundits keep proposing that the captain is merely taking a different route.

• Love 12

I find Joe's concern for the stock market to be recent. Joe ignored the rise in the stock market from Election Day 2016 to January 2018. He brught on Ratner who had charts to show that only a small portion of Americans own stock & it helped wealthy people.

Now that the market is falling, Joe is worried about people on fixed income losing their pensions.

Joe has very superficial knowledge of the stock market.

He should leave his rants to Alabama football.

Joe is mad at Trump for wanting to leave Syria. Isis might come back.

Trump wants to rebuild America. Joe is mad & said that Obama was a wimp to leave Iraq.

• Love 5

During the segment on Dr King, Elise Jordan asked a question using only a couple sentences. I get lost in the long questions and lose the point of the actual question. It was refreshing to hear a well framed question.

Did Mika just cackle while Joe is talking about Trump and Amazon?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, millennium said:

It frustrates me to no end how so many pundits seek to extract method from the madness.   My love-to-hate expression is "Trump thrives on chaos," as if the shit show foisted upon the nation every day is a well-planned strategy when it seems obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that Trump is flailing.   The ship of state is fogbound in the Bermuda Triangle, but for some inexplicable reason the pundits keep proposing that the captain is merely taking a different route.

Oh my god, this post is awesome and so articulate!  It sums up what I try to say to any- and everybody about this disastrous "presidency" and the coverage of it, but I get so verklempt (sp?) that the words get all bottled up and don't make any sense.  I may copy it down and carry it around with me, to read aloud to one and all.  My take on the pundits is that they're trying to be the grown-ups in the room by reacting to the daily sh*t-storms with reasoned, adult verbiage.  Good luck with that, pundits; you're dealing with a 72 year old toddler-brat.  There's no explaining away or reasoning with that.

"The ship of state is fogbound in the Bermuda Triangle".   If I could sew, I'd embroider that on a pillow.  No wait - on a damn flag for the front yard.  ✨?

• Love 9

Following the Amazon discussion, that commercial recognizing and promoting the importance of USPS e-commerce deliveries played for me during the last break.

• Love 2

Elise's hair is blonder. Watch out Mika! Elise could be joe's fourth wife.

Did Joe joke about her having a crush on someone on set? Did I hear that right?

What are Joe and Mika bickering about at the fade to Stephanie Ruhle? I only partly paid attention to last half hour. 

• Love 2

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that they just had Jeffrey Goldberg back on the show.  He recently hired Kevin Williamson, a writer who thinks women who have abortions should be hung, and likened a black child to a primate, but not a peep from Miss Know Your Value. 

Now we know how much she really cares women and minorities. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Did Joe joke about her having a crush on someone on set? Did I hear that right?

What are Joe and Mika bickering about at the fade to Stephanie Ruhle? I only partly paid attention to last half hour. 

Mandy Patinkin. Joe mentioned Homeland a couple times, and The Americans and another show (I watch it but I forget the name); Mika snorted that she was unfamiliar with all three. Then Joe snuck in that Mandy will be a guest "before the end of the month" IIRC, adding the comment about Mika's crush. She protested a bit and then turned to Elise and had a side conversation with her, with shrugging and gestures, while Joe spoke into the camera. So there was crosstalk and it was hard to catch what was said by any of them.

• Love 2

Take your head out of your ass Mika. You can't be on television and not be familiar with two of the most popular programs regarding the US, the Intel Community, Russia, etc. JFC, it's fine if you don't watch them but don't say "I'm not familiar" with them. 

WTF do you do all day? Other than walk around home furnishing stores and jot down sayings on pillows to put in your book? 

If women are relying on Mika to show them how to be take control of their lives and "have a voice" as they all like to say, they are so fucked it's not even funny. 

That's like asking Michael Vick how to be a responsible dog owner. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Did you know Joe runs under 9:00 miles?

Yes, my cell phone told me.  Geez, that story is getting as popular as old country lawyer and women voting in the rain.

2 hours ago, millennium said:

but for some inexplicable reason the pundits

Job security.  If they told the truth (that we all see), that would be the last day they ever saw a network table again.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Take your head out of your ass Mika. You can't be on television and not be familiar with two of the most popular programs regarding the US, the Intel Community, Russia, etc. JFC, it's fine if you don't watch them but don't say "I'm not familiar" with them. 

WTF do you do all day? Other than walk around home furnishing stores and jot down sayings on pillows to put in your book? 

If women are relying on Mika to show them how to be take control of their lives and "have a voice" as they all like to say, they are so fucked it's not even funny. 

That's like asking Michael Vick how to be a responsible dog owner. 

What does she do all day? 

She was recently promoting Katty Kay’s new book about confidence for teen girls; its out in partnership with Instagram. I was surprised to see that given the whole MJ family’s recent disgust over Facebook. It is, of course, quite possible they don’t know Facebook and Instagram are the same company. 

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

She was recently promoting Katty Kay’s new book about confidence for teen girls; its out in partnership with Instagram. I was surprised to see that given the whole MJ family’s recent disgust over Facebook. It is, of course, quite possible they don’t know Facebook and Instagram are the same company. 

Seeing as how Joe asked Phil Griffin to call Google and make searches for his name show up more, not understanding the algorthm that is used for searches, it make perfect sense. 

Every day it becomes more apparent just how ignorant and shallow they are.  Stunningly superficial doesn't even scratch the surface.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Yes, my cell phone told me.  Geez, that story is getting as popular as old country lawyer and women voting in the rain.

?☕️?

I’m 100% on board with companies picking up phrases during phone conversations and tailoring ads on that because I’ve had something similar happen to me. But Joe’s theory... I bet he keeps that iWatch on while he runs and doesn’t understand how the cloud works. Lol

• Love 1

I am still amazed that Shepard Smith is still employed by FOX. His talking points (according to Joe this morning) were to explain to his viewers how the USPS charges it's customers like Amazon.

I wonder if he has charts?

Evidently, trump has drummed into his base that Amazon decides what the PO should charge. And I guess that goes for sales tax too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, stormy said:

David Ignatius is downright perplexed. Joe's plea into the camera was confused.

David Ignatius is a fool. I still remember him opining during the chaotic transition about how Trump was going to need to define his "governing philosophy." It has stuck with me to this very day because it was so head-up-the-ass frustratingly naive and utterly indicative of how the punditry was going to stress and strain itself to normalize this so-called "presidency." He's still doing it. They all are.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, stormy said:

Evidently, trump has drummed into his base that Amazon decides what the PO should charge. And I guess that goes for sales tax too.

Somebody tweeted yesterday "Bezos should take the change in his pocket, buy Twitter, and shut down Trump's account". 

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I was just at the PO. I should have told them I'm an Amazon Prime member and demanded they send my package free of charge. That's how it works, right? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

It has stuck with me to this very day because it was so head-up-the-ass frustratingly naive and utterly indicative of how the punditry was going to stress and strain itself to normalize this so-called "presidency." He's still doing it. They all are.

This!  They all act like "we can't believe Trump isn't comporting himself as a POTUS should".  

Joe & Mika, two peas in the idiot pod, fell for it hook line and sinker. 

What about Donald Trump made ANYONE with a functioning brain think he wouldn't surround himself with the worst people he could find, and that they all wouldn't  take advantage of everything they could to enrich themselves on the taxpayer's dime?   

He's a criminal, they're all criminals, and not even very smart ones.  Nothing the DC press doesn't love more than uncovering scandals surrounding an Administration.  

Maybe Joe & Mika are shocked because they're just as stupid, thinking their affair was a big secret no one knew about.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Somebody tweeted yesterday "Bezos should take the change in his pocket, buy Twitter, and shut down Trump's account". 

When I read this yesterday I thought I would never stop laughing.  This is genius.  I wonder what hue of orange he turned when he read it.

• Love 2

The "normalizing" goes right along hand-in-hand with the false equivalence and the fake neutrality/impartiality that the pundit class suffers under because they're afraid of the RWNJ looneytoons who accuse them of being part of the "liberal media," which BTW never actually existed. 

• Love 2