Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Kasie Hunt sounded flustered and confused when she was speaking.  Maybe she's doing too much and needs to take a break.  I couldn't listen to her for very long and changed the channel.   

Kasie Hunt had to do her own show, plus be a guest on Morning Joe & had to fill in for the hated Chuck Todd yesterday. Chuck is recovering from another disastrous performance on Meet The Press.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/24/2020 at 3:50 PM, oakville said:

Kasie Hunt had to do her own show, plus be a guest on Morning Joe & had to fill in for the hated Chuck Todd yesterday. Chuck is recovering from another disastrous performance on Meet The Press.

Oh man i wish i had caught this - kasie is a thousand times more talented than Chuck freakin Todd. MTP is actually a good fit for her...

You guys were talking about verbal mishaps... at one point today Lemire was talking about the "drug epidemic" in New York in the 90s and he accidentally said New York is full of "drugged academics"....which as freudian slips go is accurate, and timeless, baby

i've found Truman Week dull, but soothing. it's peaceful to listen to conversations about a boring man who didn't do crazy shit.   

ETA: okay, "crazy shit" in a...*behavioral* sense. obviously i don't agree with some of his policy choices. idk, in context, y'all know what i meant...

Edited by neona
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, neona said:

Oh man i wish i had caught this - kasie is a thousand times more talented than Chuck freakin Todd. MTP is actually a good fit for her...

You guys were talking about verbal mishaps... at one point today Lemire was talking about the "drug epidemic" in New York in the 90s and he accidentally said New York is full of "drugged academics"....which as freudian slips go is accurate, and timeless, baby

i've found Truman Week dull, but soothing. it's peaceful to listen to conversations about a boring man who didn't do crazy shit.   

Kasie's husband, Matt Rivera is a Senior Producer of Meet The Press, so I wonder why they don't tell Chuck to voluntarily step down from the show which he has ruined. He should go and host the Kentucky Derby since he covers politics like a horse race.

Chuck should accept a peaceful transition of power to Kasie Hunt.

I am surprised that Joe hasn't discussed Harry Truman's decision to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima & Nagasaki. 

• Love 3

i was curious whether the incomparable badass Dr B ever got to read the book that was dedicated to him (and would have had time to give his opinion!) but i couldnt quite remember when he passed or what the timeline of all that was, so i went on Wikipedia.

..which said he passed in May 2017, so sadly, no 😞 . but hilariously it also says joe and mika got married on the 24 November, like two years ago? whaaaa..?  i'm not sure that's right, but..if it was, Joe was like basking in public congratulations  and glory on the show today about his book without wishing his wife a happy anniversary? oh man, lol. i almost think it must be the wrong date.

4 minutes ago, neona said:

..which said he passed in May 2017, so sadly, no 😞 . but hilariously it also says joe and mika got married on the 24 November, like two years ago? whaaaa..?  i'm not sure that's right, but..if it was, Joe was like basking in public congratulations  and glory on the show today about his book without wishing his wife a happy anniversary? oh man, lol. i almost think it must be the wrong date.

Joe probably told Mika that he would allow her to tag along on his virtual book tour as a wedding anniversary gift.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

Rattner & Stavridis are very happy with Biden's cabinet picks. They have experience & are serious people.

Mika was excited that Janet Yellen will be the first female Secretary Treasury.

oh man, Stavridis almost had this beatific look on his face...they are all sooo relieved you can literally see it in their entire physical beings...

18 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe probably told Mika that he would allow her to tag along on his virtual book tour as a wedding anniversary gift.

weeell that would be a gift to the audience (ymmv), but not to her. i honestly think it's the wrong date tbh, otherwise his badass Southern mother would have smited him down with a lightning bolt from the great beyond

• Love 1

Nope. Saturday, November 24, 2018 at the National Archives in DC. It was a long engagement. (Her engagement ring got a mention 5 years earlier). 

June 17, 2013

Comedian Russell Brand terrified anchors on MSNBC's Morning Joe program by lecturing them about how the media distracts from real news by obsessing about superficial distractions.

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Love 3

Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with Joe leaving in the middle of his own show this morning to go do an interview on The Today Show.  Wouldn't it have been better for them to tape the interview and run it?  Joe just leaving like that comes across as yet another example of how he just doesn't seem to give a damn and does not appear to be serious about his own program.  What next - a musical performance on CBS This Morning or some other show where he just leaves his own show for 15-20 minutes.   Willie and Mike Barnacle had to conduct a book interview this morning from 8:30am - 8:45 because Joe wasn't available.

• Love 6

Mika just now: "he's gone from supermodels...to Rudy Guiliani" - heh.

I watched the Fallon clips just now on the Tonight show YT channel, i kinda thought they did well....tho their mj box thingies looked a little pompous next to Jimmy's cozy thanksgiving studio, like dude, i think even Joe and Jill Biden would have just zoomed in together like normal humans...buuut it was relaxed and funny.. jimmy Fallon is so damn cute, he has the best laugh... and Joe's 3-min Truman pitch is getting better and less meandering. 

I love love Eddie Glaude's books... i wonder if it's his personal collection or its some sort of communal work office?? 

• Love 1

Mika finally agreed to pronounce Antony Blinken's name correctly. Mika then went on to mispronounce the word Holocaust. It's not HOLLOOWCAUST.

Mika & Joe gave a long lecture to Donald Trump that he should stop contesting the results of the election. The optics of Rudy Guiliani representing him is bad.

Joe admitted that Trump came very close to winning the electoral college.

• Love 1

Joe bragged that the incoming SOS is more hawkish than Barack Obama. He didn't want Obama to let Syria cross the red line. He would have put more troops in Syria.

Joe wants Rubio to stop taking shots at Democrats. He is the chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Willie said that Biden never promised to put progressives in the Cabinet. They are needed in the Senate.

• Love 2

Joe supports the vaccines & admitted that Operation Warp Speed would be a positive achievement for President Trump.

Mika complained about all the kids she is taking care of. Does she run a daycare center after the show ?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Robert Costa is an interesting guest. Joe made a joke about he & Willie celebrating Thanksgiving alone in the garage. Willie joked about Costa texting the Coronavirus task force during Thanksgiving.

Mika had a story about her brother Ian  fighting with Dr Z over the Iraq War policy at Thanksgiving.

Joe started telling a story about Mika forgetting her wedding anniversary yesterday. Mika said it was awkward. Mika said that Joe didn't buy her a gift. 

Mika convinced Jim Messina that Truman was an underestimated President.

Messina will support having Republicans in the Biden Cabinet.

Eugene Robinson said it is important to understand the Joe Biden voters.

Eugene is glad that he doesn't have to visit any more Diners to understand Trump voters.

Joe got bored with Eugene & Jim & left the interview before it was over.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2

Joe agreed to return to the show at 8:24 am . There will be a special panel with Michael Beshloss & Doris Kearns Goodwin to discuss Joe's new book on President Harry Truman!.

Mika presented another exclusive commentary with Tom Brokaw from his ranch in Montana. Tom looks much better now that someone helped him to comb his hair & stand straight for the camera. He isn't wearing a hospital gown under  a blue blazer like he did the last time he appeared on Morning Joe. He was wearing a brown leather jacket & blue jean top today. This reminds viewers that he is a rancher.

Tom will not invite his grand kids over for the holiday due to the virus & their request for an advance on their inheritance.

Tom wants Governor Noem to implement a mask mandate in South Dakota.

Joe played a song about Harry Truman from 1974. Mika pretends to be an expert on Harry Truman now.

• LOL 3

Missed today’s show, as I will miss most of the shows until the book shilling is over or until I get a root canal without drugs. It seems that Joe the is the most insufferable he has ever been; and Meeks is as clueless as ever. Unfortunately, the network giving this puffed-up, beady-eyed, entitled, sexist jackass all the free time and publicity will probably guarantee a best-seller.

Oh...anyone else observed Joe returning to his ideological roots?  It’s a-coming’.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Missed today’s show, as I will miss most of the shows until the book shilling is over or until I get a root canal without drugs. It seems that Joe the is the most insufferable he has ever been; and Meeks is as clueless as ever. Unfortunately, the network giving this puffed-up, beady-eyed, entitled, sexist jackass all the free time and publicity will probably guarantee a best-seller.

Oh...anyone else observed Joe returning to his ideological roots?  It’s a-coming’.

There are rumors that Joe was upset that Joe is upset with Lestor Holt because he chose to do an exclusive interview with President Elect Joe Biden last night on NBC News over a chance to interview Joe about his book on Truman.

Mika & Joe were on the View today. They did an interview from their home. Mika was very close to Joe was blowing sweet nothings into Joe's ear while Joy Behar was asking him a question.

• LOL 3

i'm glad Katherine Clarke highlighted food insecurity and the horrific consequences of the relief bill deadlock, theres just not enough urgency around this, ugh

40 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe were on the View today. They did an interview from their home. Mika was very close to Joe was blowing sweet nothings into Joe's ear while Joy Behar was asking him a question.

she also thankfully countered Joe's pollyanna-ish unity routine he was doing by saying there should be accountability, no pardons, and a post-mortem on institutional vulnerabilities.

I love Doris Kearns Goodwin and Beschloss buuut why bring Madeleine Albright in to play third fiddle and barely get a word in? there should be rose petals at her feet. i'd watch her alone, in a room, talking to herself

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, neona said:

i'm glad Katherine Clarke highlighted food insecurity and the horrific consequences of the relief bill deadlock, theres just not enough urgency around this, ugh

she also thankfully countered Joe's pollyanna-ish unity routine he was doing by saying there should be accountability, no pardons, and a post-mortem on institutional vulnerabilities.

I love Doris Kearns Goodwin and Beschloss buuut why bring Madeleine Albright in to play third fiddle and barely get a word in? there should be rose petals at her feet. i'd watch her alone, in a room, talking to herself

It's very sad that the Coronavirus relief bill wasn't passed months before the election. It's heartbreaking to watch the news at night and see people lining up in their cars for food.

Sadly, Morning Joe should have done more interviews with people that wanted to help alleviate the suffering of people out of work due to the pandemic.

I think Madeline Albright was a friend of Dr Z. She should have her own segment to praise Joe's book.

• Love 3

So, Friday is starting with “a special hour of Morning Joe”  (their phrase)—all about Joe’s book.  It is embarrassing to see the channel being used as an infomercial.  

ETA:  I found the podcasts of the 2017 post-Thanksgiving shows instead, where they pretended to be “live” the day after Thanksgiving, then had the drunken Monday show three days later.  I had forgotten that it was national news at the time: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/morning-joe-did-you-really-just-pre-tape-your-post-thanksgiving-banter/2017/11/24/7a73d84a-d161-11e7-a1a3-0d1e45a6de3d_story.html

Edited by freddi
  • Love 6

...as tee-vee "controversies" go, that was some dumb shit. Yeah their post-thanksgiving jokes were pretty lame, but that was the whole point... between this and the Jeb Bush Room rater drama, what kind of uptight dull-ass people work at WaPo? 

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

My TV listing had "Dateline" and instead the Truman infomercial started!😕

Won't be watching today.

hmmm i do think it's little lazy to re-air stuff they've already shown on air, there used to at least be pre-taped interviews etc that hadn't previously aired.

ETA: oh and the *worst part* is that they changed it, to accommodate that one dude who didn't get it! Must the boring people always win??

Edited by neona
  • Love 1

I was channel surfing and tuned in at 5 pm ...a "special" edition of Morning Joe.  I've only had it on a wee bit and it is Truman; I have to wonder if that is what the entire show will be about.  Next up:  Doris Kearns Goodwin to talk about Leadership.  Wonder whose presidency might come up?  I will tune back in later to see if the subject has changed.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I was channel surfing and tuned in at 5 pm ...a "special" edition of Morning Joe.  I've only had it on a wee bit and it is Truman; I have to wonder if that is what the entire show will be about.  Next up:  Doris Kearns Goodwin to talk about Leadership.  Wonder whose presidency might come up?  I will tune back in later to see if the subject has changed.

You got it.  Doris Kerns Goodwin being interviewed by Joe about his book.  Isn't that the reverse of what usually happens?!  Michael Beschloss, thankfully, is still talking about the election.  Joe just thanked Madeline Albright, so I guess she got caught in the net of this.  Had this aired earlier?  Or is it a whole new fawning episode to boost Joe?  I don't watch any of these shows about his book, so I have no idea.  I got hooked just now by having the Beschloss library in hi-def on my large screen.  Stunning.  

• Love 3

I got a phone call so didn't tune back in.  But from what a saw (and I could be wrong) ... some of the segments were taped.  Maybe the Doris Kearns Goodwin was; Madeleine Albright, too?  If so, Joe is so lazy that he wants to take over an entire hour (of someone else's slot) to promote his book.  And not all of it is live?  Is it just me?  Have I become so prejudiced against The Twins that I resent anything they do to promote themselves? Would other hosts be allowed to do this?  Maybe Rachel and Nicole.  Maybe; then again, they more than likely would never presume to take advantage this way.

• Love 4

This is weird. Joe's book only has four reviews despite being a "bestseller" (in American History) and they are all positive. Hard to believe not even one person would post some snark.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, xaxat said:

Remember the two weeks Joe randomly decided to take off with no explanation? What are the odds that he had poor time management and had to cram in order to make deadline for his book?

i wonder if he had to do two versions of this book depending on the outcome the election . one ending with "Biden must now learn from Truman, etc, etc" and another version going "holy shit, we're fucked! Democrats shoulda listened to Truman!" ...both concluding "either way, I predicted it"

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, Kemper said:

Have I become so prejudiced against The Twins that I resent anything they do to promote themselves?

Nope. I'm in the same boat. Honestly, promoting themselves is all they do anymore. There's no there there...all "look at me/us".  

• Love 4

yeah i think it was Tuesday.... probably it's a combination of getting new viewers from election coverage and the hilarious/scary AF exodus from Fox to uhhhh other questionable places. It also probably made a difference that the monday show opened with a dull-ass joe rant, their tuesday show didn't, like i still have no idea why they think ranting at sleep-deprived humans is ever a good idea...

Buuut idk, these things are always relative, like Mathews had great ratings, but then Joy came along and knocked it out of the park...so there's never any reason to stop trying. And sometimes high ratings seem to be attributed to the wrong thing, like star power rather than circumstances and vice versa...anyhoo it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out in the Biden era....    

ETA: for the record i thought both their Tue and Wed shows were pretty good...but that was true like all across msnbc...it's like everyone is finally laughing and *breathing* again

Edited by neona
  • Love 4

Monday Recap.

The show started with a recap of past Presidential Thanksgiving messages with Trump's being him berating a reporter. These clips are similar in tone to what the Daily Show used to do.

Joe is solo today. Joe fried the Turkey this Thanksgiving holiday. Mika got sick from eating fried Turkey & is still under the weather.

The A List is Kasie Hunt, Johnathan " I put Joe's book on display" Lemire & Al Sharpton.

Kasie is very excited that Joe Biden picked an all female Communications staff.

Karine Jean Pierre , who was a frequent guest on Morning Joe will be the Deputy Press Secretary. Mika did send out a tweet congratulating her last night with a Know Your value hashtag.

Kasie was happy that most of the staff was working moms.

Joe mocked Republicans in Georgia who want to write in President Trump's name in the Senate races. This will not help the GOP Senate candidates.

Joe made fun of Trump for wasting $3million on the Wisconsin recount. It ended up adding almost 100 votes for Biden.

Joe had no idea why Republicans would be upset with Neera Tandren being appointed to the OMB.

Joe should do some research on Neera's comments about Republicans. Kasie knew that her nomination will not be confirmed by GOP SEnators.

Joe went into a rant about the deficits during Trump's term.

Joe railed against Newt Gingrich when he wasn't as tough on cutting spending as he was when he was in Congress.

Joe made fun of Trump for wishing Biden a speedy recovery from twisting his ankle while playing with his dog.

Al Sharpton looked bored listening to Joe.

Joe is mad at Trump for contesting Biden's margins in Milwaukee, Detroit & Philadelphia. Joe said those areas have large African American populations.

Al said that Neera knows how to keep deficits low.

Lemire was happy that Trump aid he would leave the White House if he lost the electoral college.

Trump may want to run in 2024. He may also get a tv show on NewsMax.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2

Kasie took over the Teleprompter at 8: 30 am. It's a big honor for her to sit in for Mika.

Joe thanked some Republicans for having a clean election & preventing Russian interference in their states.

Tim Alberta & Jeff Greenfield , who had a red broom & dustpan in his background.

New mom, Elise Jordan looked great in her return to TV. She is in a well lit room.

Joe blasted Trump for donating to Chuck Shumer & Nancy Pelosi while other people were loyal to the Republican party.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, oakville said:

" I put Joe's book on display" Lemire

😄

Lemire sure knows how to keep his side gig going.  He also get to receive reporting from Robert Costa, (and then pass it off as his own later).  Odd to listen to Joe criticize 45 for surrounding himself with shameless sycophants.

Ken "Dirty Mouth" Delanian also started a response about 45's threat to national security with an affirmation of Joe's deep insights.

Edited by Liberty
to add Delanian affirmation of Joe's observations
  • Love 3

Joe told the story of Mika losing her red phone at home when Reagan took office. Dr Z used the phone for National Security purposes.

Eisenhower wasn't prepared for life after the White House. He couldn't make a phone call.

• Love 2

It wasn't Meeka's "red phone" was it?  Why would he even bring that up.  Her father had the red phone.  Or am I wrong and all family members get use of the "red phone" if their father/mother is important enough to warrant one? And.  Why would he feel the need to bring her up, anyway?  I guess she had to have the day off...exhausted from cooking for all the young'uns for Thanksgiving.  

Sorry, it is just that I used to really like Jonathan LeMire when he first started appearing on MJ; now he is in the background..like wallpaper.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kemper said:

It wasn't Meeka's "red phone" was it?  Why would he even bring that up.  Her father had the red phone.  Or am I wrong and all family members get use of the "red phone" if their father/mother is important enough to warrant one? And.  Why would he feel the need to bring her up, anyway?  I guess she had to have the day off...exhausted from cooking for all the young'uns for Thanksgiving.  

Sorry, it is just that I used to really like Jonathan LeMire when he first started appearing on MJ; now he is in the background..like wallpaper.

The red phone was a secure phone to be used exclusively by Dr Z. In previous episodes, Mika admitted to using the phone to order pizza which is prohibited  by the  National Security Council.

Mika was traumatized when the phone was removed from her home when Reagan became President. Her dad lost his job as NSA.

Lemire is losing credibility by becoming Joe's leading sycophant.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

now he is in the background..like wallpaper.

More like a brick wall. I don't like interior brick walls. Is that his home?

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Why would he feel the need to bring her up, anyway?  I guess she had to have the day off...exhausted from cooking for all the young'uns for Thanksgiving.  

Because, as usual, it's all self promotion. It's all about them, all the time.

Her Instagram post on Thanksgiving showed a table set for 3 on her porch or sunroom. Made reference to her children and pets all across the country.

Did she do a post about Elise's new baby? (With the obligatory #KYV?) I'm sure we'll soon hear Elise's story of motherhood and working...fresh meat for Mika's site.

• Love 4

Lemire is the kid who always puts an apple on the teacher's desk, buuuut i can't hate on him, he's cute and he's been doing some mad hours election season hauling his ass across the country and appearing from bizarro hitchcock hotel rooms looking like a dexamethasone zombie. i appreciate that.

thank god for Kasie so we didn't have to listen to joe read the prompter in his "used car salesman" voice, heh. i'm not usually awake for her show so i'm glad she sticks around at MJ a lot. 

btw guys did you see MJ regulars Tom Nichols and Noah Rothman got into a twitter fight - https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1333498192655241217 

• Love 2

I just went to Twitter to see the back-and-forth (thank you, Neona) between Noah Rothman and Tom Nichols.  I hate to put a fine point on this, but doesn't Noah Rothman have a pretty advanced education?  His entire Tweet was one gigantic run-on sentence!  Maybe I shouldn't judge because we all can get carried away when typing and go on.  And on.  Maybe Twitter just makes things worse.  But since Noah R makes my gums hurt I would never pass up the chance to criticize.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Joe was on Joy Reid tonight.  Has he been on with Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel?  And.  Should we put these kind of comments in The Hosts thread?  Small Talk?  While I am here ... will he be on every single show on both MSNBC and NBC?  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

Should we put these kind of comments in The Hosts thread?  Small Talk?

See, this right here is the problem: THEY have caused it by blurring the lines between political newsy-chat and "let me tell you about us and our book". The show has become The Hosts thread material.

Technically, probably belongs in The Hosts. But the All Episodes thread would lie dormant. (First world problem right there!)

18 hours ago, oakville said:

In previous episodes, Mika admitted to using the phone

"In previous episodes"! I caught this, Oakville! Made me laugh! Clever.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Tuesday Recap.

The how opened making fun of GOP Governor Ducey who bragged about having a direct connection to the White House. He changed his ring tone to Hail to the Chief. He got a call yesterday from the White House & he ignored it. Mika & Joe were happy that Ducey was ignoring the White House while he was certifying the election results.

Joe said it was chilly in the breakfast nook, so Mika offered him a blanket on air.

Willie said that was the final scene in the Trump movie.

• Love 1

Joe brought up his new talking point that Republicans in Georgia should write in for Trump.

Kasie scolded Republicans for ceding ground to Trump. They alienated Republicans who didn't support Trump.

Kaie's concerns for GOP Senators seems to be fake.

Willie wants Mitch McConnell to declare Biden the President elect.

• Love 1