Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Millennium, I had to look up Dickie Goodman but recognized his work immediately.  Thanks for the smile and laugh out loud as I really needed it!

Anytime!  (although I fear I have dated myself, lol)

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

The good news:  Meeks looks brighter today (although she still looks like she's dressing out of a suitcase).

The bad news:  She could barely vomit out "Joe's off" adding "Willie and I are here" and throwing in an eye roll.

Ringwatch begins in 3....2...1......

I missed the first  30 minutes.....so Joe's absence was referred to, then, but not explained?  How the hell does he (and she) get away with this?  If I hadn't shown up to my job as often as these two disappear from the set (while still getting paid their literal millions) I would have been ousted in favor of someone who actually showed up to work.  The bitterest irony is that the show is named after the one person who is there the least often.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

I missed the first  30 minutes.....so Joe's absence was referred to, then, but not explained?  How the hell does he (and she) get away with this?  If I hadn't shown up to my job as often as these two disappear from the set (while still getting paid their literal millions) I would have been ousted in favor of someone who actually showed up to work.  The bitterest irony is that the show is named after the one person who is there the least often.

Yep, just an almost muttered under her breath "Joe's off".  Not even being treated to his tweets either (although his idea of tweeting seems to be retweeting what somebody else said, he's lazy there too).  I agree with what many have said on this forum.  There seems to be something wrong with their personal relationship as you can feel the tension on the show when they are both on at the same time (even if he is lounging in the bunker).  Today's show is more relaxed and easier to watch.  I'll be watching today as long as Meacham in included in the panel.  I could listen to him all day.

• Love 3

Tuned in at the top of the hour and I could almost swear that Kasie didn't have a lightning bolt intro.  I hadn't had my tea yet, so I could have been mistaken.  And yes, Meeka is a vacuum; but maybe because migrant children is an issue where she has found a sort-of voice, but...the show isn't awful today with her hosting.  So far.  Meaning she hasn't gotten on my last nerve yet.  We are only a little over an hour in, though.

2 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Tuned in at the top of the hour and I could almost swear that Kasie didn't have a lightning bolt intro.  I hadn't had my tea yet, so I could have been mistaken.  And yes, Meeka is a vacuum; but maybe because migrant children is an issue where she has found a sort-of voice, but...the show isn't awful today with her hosting.  So far.  Meaning she hasn't gotten on my last nerve yet.  We are only a little over an hour in, though.

Kemper, Kasie had the lightning bolt intro at the beginning of the show but they did skip it this hour.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Random thought, I really like the color of Rep. Himes suit.  Great shade of blue.  

Ok, two random thoughts.  I'm thinking maybe Katy got a Botox tune up?

Edited by Chloesmom
52 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

There seems to be something wrong with their personal relationship as you can feel the tension on the show when they are both on at the same time

I don't know if I posted this question here last year or if I said it to Mr. Rain at the time of the (blech) engagement, but.......I remember thinking, "What happens to the show should this grand romance bite the dust?"  We may be witnessing the answer to that on a daily basis.

• Love 3

Mika wore the exact same outfit last week.

With all the contradictory hypocritical comments from every member of Trump's administration on the immigrant family issue, you'd think that the teams at MSNBC that produce graphic packages could pretty easily put together some incendiary imagery.  Ready to roll out as campaign commercials.  But... no.

Meachem's segment was bleak.  Christ, the news is depressing.

• Love 1

Listening to the last half hour...Meeka seems to be fading a little...having some trouble getting a sentence together.  But.  At least the show was better today without Joe.  Maybe he is at the World Cup?  Somewhere?  And I agree with posters above - wonder if there is trouble in paradise.  

Trying to figure out Meeka's wardrobe choices...Church Lady? Pippi Longstocking without the braids?  Heidi?  Checked blouse and drab, ill-fitting cardigan.  I miss the days when she wore the sheaths; and am in the minority regarding her hair - I like it short; but don't like the platinum.  I do think that sometimes she really tries to have a news-worthy show; not in news-worthy bad but true news.  That you get some real insight on.    

I guess I fixate on these trivial things because it takes my mind off the horrible-ness of what is happening right now in our country.  It was kind of nice today where everyone got to have a say, no bullying, no yelling or interrupting.  Meeka let everyone get their moments and the panel wasn't awful; could do without Barnicle.  This show seems to be one of the few places where Michael Steele lets it out.  I cannot believe I don't mind Meeks today.  

• Love 8
(edited)
14 hours ago, millennium said:

I would like to comment on something La Mika said this morning that I happen to agree with.   I'm paraphrasing, but she urged reporters to take a more serious approach to everything that's going on right now.    While she herself is guilty of what I'm about to say, it's becoming more and more prevalent that reporters are chummy with Trump's defenders.   Chris Cuomo professes to be friends with Kellyanne Conway and often addresses his Trump-supporting guests as "brother," often adding that they know each other offscreen.   I watched Katy Tur "confront" Jim Jordan last week about Trump's habitual lies, and while she did put on her "big girl" glasses for the interview, she spent so much time giggling at his evasiveness that it came off like a schoolgirl interviewing the high school football star about which cheerleader he likes best.  Jordan, who should have been sweating, seemed to love every minute of it.

These people are having an undeniable impact on our present lives and our future.   The press is the only thing protection we have to check their self-serving schemes.   But many in the press seem intoxicated by the carnival atmosphere of all this and sometimes it seems to me they are not doing their jobs, or at the very least are allowing many of the Trumpists to wriggle off the hook unscathed (which of course brings us back to Morning Joe which actually helped the biggest fish in the pond to get away scot-free). 

The media's normalizing of Trump's campaign, their fascination with the circus and the corporation's greed, higher ratings = higher ad revenues is and will always be a huge contributing factor to the shit show we are now existing in.   A word cloud was created with terms used in the 2016 election.  The biggest word was EMAILS.   

The media, akin to the hosts in Westworld being awoken to the nightmare, are finally realizing their complicity.  I guess toddlers crying for their Papi and Mommy was the straw. 

Re Katy Tur and Jim Jordan - the number of tweets she receives during those interviews is staggering. "STOP HAVING HIM ON YOUR SHOW".  "THIS IS INSANITY". "WHY DO YOU KEEP LETTING HIM TALK".  on and on.   If she thinks she's providing a service to viewers by reminding them what Trumpists are like, she can stop anytime.  We all know. 

Katy Tur thinking she's not pulling stunts like that for ratings, or because she wrote a book about the Trump campaign she's better than other journalists is hilarious. Give me a cable show. I can book Jordan and put on my glasses but I'll tell him up front "this is the last time you'll be appearing on this network so make it good, oh and we'll be running it afterward and fact checking everything you said, posting it on all social media platforms as well as sending it to the newspaper in your district". 

You're part of the problem or part of the solution, media. Pick a lane. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7

Tuned in at the top of the hour and I could almost swear that Kasie didn't have a lightning bolt intro. 

She did and I was thinking how inappropriate it was when the entire 3 hours they are talking about children's lives being destroyed.

Ok, two random thoughts.  I'm thinking maybe Katy got a Botox tune up?

Holy shit yes, I was coming here to say that.  She's got the Nicole Kidman Gigantic Seamless Forehead. Too much Botox, holy cow, Katty K!

Mika was reading the NY Times op ed piece which was like 10 sentences and she stumbled over 2 of them.  What, would another 1/2 a mil impell her to read the news correctly??

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, XOQueens said:

It's almost as if Michelle Wolf was right and they're all, gasp, loving the $$$ they get from increased ratings as everyone tunes in to the shit show. 

Bingo! Trump is ratings gold for cable news.

Why did Kasie get a semi rock star intro today? Mika complained about the lack of rock star voice in her intro. It’s time to stop it Mika. It was a sad news day.

Why are people flooding the border?

I watched 5 minutes of Mika wailing. It’s ridiculous. She had a platform to go after Trump in 2015 & early 2016. she &a joe failed

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Yep, just an almost muttered under her breath "Joe's off".  Not even being treated to his tweets either (although his idea of tweeting seems to be retweeting what somebody else said, he's lazy there too).  I agree with what many have said on this forum.  There seems to be something wrong with their personal relationship as you can feel the tension on the show when they are both on at the same time (even if he is lounging in the bunker).  Today's show is more relaxed and easier to watch.  I'll be watching today as long as Meacham in included in the panel.  I could listen to him all day.

Something is definitely going on with JoMika.   

It is amazing how much more relaxed she is without Professor Hairdo screaming at her, interrupting everyone. It seems he's the factor that makes the show unwatchable. 

Mika will never be Nicole Wallace or Rachel Maddow. She doesn't have Nicole's personality or political expertise, or Rachel's brain. But she can run a show and keep the conversation moving. 

Just shut up about helping women.  Until you get up off your ass and go do some good somewhere other than the 92nd Street Y filled with socialites, stfu. 

OMG that book about the Trump kids sounds brutal. 

"What if he's a loser"?  Well he's your kid so there's about a 90 to 1 chance that's gonna be the case. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

OMG that book about the Trump kids sounds brutal. 

"What if he's a loser"?  Well he's your kid so there's about a 90 to 1 chance that's gonna be the case. 

I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it showed up overnight.  I can't wait to start reading it especially the part where they all made sure to be featured front and center in the inaugural pictures "for the history books".  It's called karma kiddies and it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

It is amazing how much more relaxed she is without Professor Hairdo screaming at her, interrupting everyone. It seems he's the factor that makes the show unwatchable. 

She acts around Joe like she acted around her father like she came across in her strange Father's Day piece. Timid and like a little girl afraid to make a mistake and disappoint. There's a lot to unpack there.  Lol

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, oakville said:

Why are people flooding the border?

To escape the hellish conditions in their native country.  Similar to what is going to happen to Canada in a few months when US citizens start storming your borders . . . :)

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

To escape the hellish conditions in their native country.  Similar to what is going to happen to Canada in a few months when US citizens start storming your borders . . . :)

Excuse me, but I am about peeing my pants here!  Lol.

On the other hand, sad but true.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Listening to the last half hour...Meeka seems to be fading a little...having some trouble getting a sentence together.  But.  At least the show was better today without Joe.  Maybe he is at the World Cup?  Somewhere?  And I agree with posters above - wonder if there is trouble in paradise.  

Trying to figure out Meeka's wardrobe choices...Church Lady? Pippi Longstocking without the braids?  Heidi?  Checked blouse and drab, ill-fitting cardigan.  I miss the days when she wore the sheaths; and am in the minority regarding her hair - I like it short; but don't like the platinum.  I do think that sometimes she really tries to have a news-worthy show; not in news-worthy bad but true news.  That you get some real insight on.    

I guess I fixate on these trivial things because it takes my mind off the horrible-ness of what is happening right now in our country.  It was kind of nice today where everyone got to have a say, no bullying, no yelling or interrupting.  Meeka let everyone get their moments and the panel wasn't awful; could do without Barnicle.  This show seems to be one of the few places where Michael Steele lets it out.  I cannot believe I don't mind Meeks today.  

I'm probably in a rather teensy weensy minority here,  but I almost never mind Meeks when she's piloting that ship(wreck) alone.  Not that she's the sharpest tool in the box, but she comes across as marginally intelligent (I'm being generous here) when The Bloviating Bloviator isn't there heckling and ridiculing and dismissing her and constantly talking over  her, like she was invisible.  I could easily watch 'Morning Mika" if Joe wants to take a permanent vacation.   And I am now crouching to avoid the thrown bricks. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

I'm probably in a rather teensy weensy minority here,  but I almost never mind Meeks when she's piloting that ship(wreck) alone.  Not that she's the sharpest tool in the box, but she comes across as marginally intelligent (I'm being generous here) when The Bloviating Bloviator isn't there heckling and ridiculing and dismissing her and constantly talking over  her, like she was invisible.  I could easily watch 'Morning Mika" if Joe wants to take a permanent vacation.   And I am now crouching to avoid the thrown bricks. 

Nah, I totally agree. I snark on her and Lord knows she has a lot of flaws she exacerbates by being completely unaware (cough KYV), but she is my favorite thing about Morning Joe outside of Heilemann. 

• Love 2
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

No Ladyrain I'm with you that Meeks is much better when Beeker isn't bloviating all over everybody (although today she kind of ran out of steam there at the end).  I would much rather watch the show sans Herr Hair but to be honest I wouldn't shed any tears if neither of their contracts were renewed.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I agree with someone upthread who thinks Joe is on a World Cup related getaway.  But, zero chance he's in Russia seeing the games in person. 

He’s posting Instagram pics in California with his daughter. 

2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

We already have people coming here from the USA. You can come to Oakville. We are friendly 

• Love 4

I agree that the show was so much better today with just Meeka hosting.  Never thought I would say this, but I could almost go along with getting rid of Joe and having Mika host - with maybe a rotating lineup of people to assist with the load; just not Willie.  Like him, but watching him is like watching one of those Hallmark movies with all the generic, vanilla actors.  I don't think Meeka is up to the challenge of doing it every day but it would have to be better than what we see on most days with The Bloviator.  But.  Is the bar set that low?

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, oakville said:

We already have people coming here from the USA. You can come to Oakville. We are friendly 

I'm packing my bags as I type.  Merci beaucoup pour l'invitatione.  (Please pardon my fractured French). 

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

My late grandfather was Canadian and since the Trump regime I've wished that he had stayed there and I would be there now. But of course that would mean he wouldn't have met my American grandmother and therefore no me. Lol

Mika does better without Joe in studio it's so obvious.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Never thought I would say this, but I could almost go along with getting rid of Joe and having Mika host - with maybe a rotating lineup of people to assist with carry the load; just not Willie. 

IA with your post but couldn't resist fixing one little part for you. :)

• Love 4

Meeks started the show mentioning Joe will be back tomorrow (not sure on set or in bunker).  Kasie did not get the lightning bolt intro and Meeks mentioned it will be back tomorrow as Joe will be returning so maybe it's his bright idea (since the phrase tone deaf is one of the key phrases for the show today I thought maybe they ditched it because of all of the gut wrenching news and images but apparently not).

• Love 1
(edited)

What is the saturation point on the immigration story?   It's heart-wrenching and all, but this stuff has a shelf life.   If the political stalemate is prolonged and this story continues to be repeated every day on Morning Joe and other infotainment outlets, it's just a matter of time before people tire of it and start muttering Somebody do something about this because I don't want to hear about it anymore.   That's when the tide will turn against the Democrats because Democrats are seen as softer.   People will demand Democrats give in to Trump's demands because they think there's a greater chance of that happening than Trump backing down.   They won't care where the real blame lies, they'll just want it to end so they can have fresh material on Morning Joe, etc.   Just the other morning the MJ panel was quoting polls showing that there has been a 10% drop in support for the Mueller probe, and that a greater number of people are saying it should be brought to an end soon.   They're putting the burden on Mueller, saying "c'mon, wrap this up, Mueller" rather than looking at Trump and saying, "c'mon, give him his interview already so this can end."   

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

I think I am watching the repeat of hour one.  Mika started with: "I have four words:  tone-deaf, callous, heartless".  Well, kind of four words, Mika.  

But yes, Kirsten Nielsen going to a Mexican restaurant last night?  So, so tone-deaf.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Meeks started the show mentioning Joe will be back tomorrow (not sure on set or in bunker).  Kasie did not get the lightning bolt intro and Meeks mentioned it will be back tomorrow as Joe will be returning so maybe it's his bright idea (since the phrase tone deaf is one of the key phrases for the show today I thought maybe they ditched it because of all of the gut wrenching news and images but apparently not).

Mika said the lightning bolt & Rock star intro was Joe’s idea. Hmmmm

It looks like hour three is live.  I guess it is dark in Texas because of rain?  It's 7:36 AM in Texas right now, and much darker than Seattle right now, where it is very bright.  

8 AM was a repeat of 6-6:30. 

1 hour ago, millennium said:

What is the saturation point on the immigration story?   It's heart-wrenching and all, but this stuff has a shelf life.   If the political stalemate is prolonged and this story continues to be repeated every day on Morning Joe and other infotainment outlets, it's just a matter of time before people tire of it and start muttering Somebody do something about this because I don't want to hear about it anymore.   That's when the tide will turn against the Democrats because Democrats are seen as softer.   People will demand Democrats give in to Trump's demands because they think there's a greater chance of that happening than Trump backing down.   They won't care where the real blame lies, they'll just want it to end so they can have fresh material on Morning Joe, etc.   Just the other morning the MJ panel was quoting polls showing that there has been a 10% drop in support for the Mueller probe, and that a greater number of people are saying it should be brought to an end soon.   They're putting the burden on Mueller, saying "c'mon, wrap this up, Mueller" rather than looking at Trump and saying, "c'mon, give him his interview already so this can end."   

I would hope no one says "I don't want to hear about it anymore".   Yes it's difficult to bear witness to this tragedy, but those of us in our air conditioned homes, with food,a soft bed, and our loved ones around us, not being threatened by gangs or having our children taken from us by the Trump Administration, the least we can do is watch this and make sure we do what we can to stop it.  Whether it be calling our representatives in Congress, protesting, and if all else fails, making sure we vote in November to throw anyone who doesn't vote to stop this, out of office. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

8 AM was a repeat of 6-6:30. 

I would hope no one says "I don't want to hear about it anymore".   Yes it's difficult to bear witness to this tragedy, but those of us in our air conditioned homes, with food,a soft bed, and our loved ones around us, not being threatened by gangs or having our children taken from us by the Trump Administration, the least we can do is watch this and make sure we do what we can to stop it.  Whether it be calling our representatives in Congress, protesting, and if all else fails, making sure we vote in November to throw anyone who doesn't vote to stop this, out of office. 

For me, the key this week is how it's being covered.  Other outlets have other news shingled in between their coverage.  MJ is a three hour slog that I have to get away from.  I was glad I tuned back in to see some of Stephanie Ruhle's coverage as it brought a different viewpoint of the overall issue.  Mika's had some good moments but for the most part she only wants to speak from one perspective with her preferred talking points and I can't watch three hours of that.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Mika's had some good moments but for the most part she only wants to speak from one perspective with her preferred talking points and I can't watch three hours of that.

The evening programs have more in depth coverage, Mika can only repeat what happened after 9 am the day before and it's already been covered.  I know they are more opinion driven than hard news, but it would help if one of the idiots who host this show knew what they were talking about,  more than just reading a headline and then expecting someone else to take over with informative commentary.   I mean, I guess there's only one Rachel Maddow, huh Mika? No matter how hard Zbig tried, he couldn't make a Rhodes Scholar out of a Barbie doll. 

On a lighter note, it seemed she's trying to cover her unhappiness about Joe with some off hand comments about him being back tomorrow and we'll all be happy to hear his take.  Not especially, no. 

I really hope she can convince him to knock off the lightning bullshit. That joke was old about three days in.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Well, aren't we lucky, then, that the story keeps getting worse as even more news comes out. We don't have time to get conditioned to the latest horror, because there's always a worse one right around the corner. So I'm grateful the show is laser focused on this issue. It should be. It should be the ONLY thing the media is covering.

I do think your final point is worth noting, however: There's been a 10% drop in Mueller support because of the constant drip-drip-drip of "alternative facts" coming from the White House. Repetition is swaying public opinion. So, in my mind, the more the media drills in on the baby internment camps, the more embedded they will become in people's minds. Will people get desensitized? Probably the ones who are inclined to support Trump, like those horrible pastors we saw on MJ this morning who just flatly refused to even believe the reports are real. But most normal people will (I hope) come to just accept that this heartlessness is part and parcel of the Trump presidency and vote accordingly come November.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Eliot said:
23 minutes ago, Eliot said:

like those horrible pastors we saw on MJ this morning who just flatly refused to even believe the reports are real. But most normal people will (I hope) come to just accept that this heartlessness is part and parcel of the Trump presidency and vote accordingly come November.

I saw those "Men of God" interviews, and all I could think of was they are going to share their heartless and pro-trump opinions from the pulpit. Their "Christian Followers" will no doubt agree with them. Men of God, Christian Followers???? Jesus would be shocked and saddened, IMHO.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika needs to chill with the weird squeezing tweets.

It's like she woke up from her morning nap an hour ago and has gone bananas on Twitter . . . yikes.

Tomorrow's gonna be lit!

• Love 2

Those interviews with the 3 "preachers" was eye-opening and downright scary.  Wish Stephanie had asked the one that went on and on about it being God's will that we follow/obey the president if he had the same views when it was Obama in the White House.  And the last one (in North Carolina?) saying that trump is an honest man - ON WHAT PLANET is this a true statement?  These interviews also showed that these evangelicals only care about the UNBORN.

I liked Ratner this morning -he's getting bolder and calling trump's lies lies rather than misstatements or however else so many sugarcoat it.  WIsh all of these reporters/commentators would just call lies LIES.  

I tape this show but some days I just read the comments here and then erase without watching.  Other days I watch sections of it but Joe is just unbearable.  He never lets someone finish their thoughts/sentences.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika needs to chill with the weird squeezing tweets.

DId she forget they increased the character count to 280? JFC. I guess her meds kicked in. 

If she was watching that coverage of Trump & the Republicans, I can't blame her for losing her shit. That was disgusting. 

• Love 2