Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, navelgazer said:

Elise needs to take the advice of Coco Chanel via Katherine Parker in "Working Girl."  "Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."  Nearly every side shot made noticeable the rolls on her back and fleshy upper arms.  (I'm sorry, I don't mean to be catty, but seems like if she wants her appearance to be noticed, it should be for more complimentary reasons.) 

I - somewhat guiltily - noticed this, too.  Elise is so attractive and certainly not overweight (in my book anyway) but I was thinking that the white! dress was too tight and causing her some 'issues'.  Full disclosure:  I wish I had her body, not the out-of-shape, over-the-hill one I'm saddled with now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

I don't care much for Morning Willie (tehe). Turns out I miss the #joeandmika crazy when it's not around. 

I agree. The show may be more informative without Joe and Mika, but it is definitely less entertaining.  I tend to fall asleep on non Joe/Mika days (I’m on the West  Coast, so I start watching my DVR recording whenever I wake up).

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Craig Melvin, if they need a man.   Or Kasie could do it herself, she handles 2 hours on sunday alone. 

I think Kasie and Steve Kornacki would be great. 

• Love 3

They're all a bunch of ego driven babies if you ask me, but Chris is right and Mika is as usual trying to defend the indefensible.

Where's the proof Mika, that you & Joe weren't kissing Trump's ass six ways to Sunday. Show your viewers if there's so much proof.

You and Joe are really terrible at hiding what you're doing.

We all know you have had an affair for years, and we all know you were having Trump on every day to spike ratings, and hoping YOU'D be able to keep Trump moderated and be advisers to him. 

Now you're pissed off that he used you, and you & Joe are like the person who got dumped and can't stop saying nasty shit about your ex.  It's all very tiresome. 

• Love 10

And God knows Joe has no clue how to anchor a show.  He doesn't even bother to show up on the set every day. At least you can pretty much count on Chris being there and holding his guests accountable.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Craig Melvin, if they need a man.   Or Kasie could do it herself, she handles 2 hours on sunday alone. 

Nah, Craig is as stiff and boring as Willie

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cased said:

The show may be more informative without Joe and Mika, but it is definitely less entertaining.

And therein lies the mystery of life.  Otherwise known as, Cant live with 'em, can't live without 'em.  We just cannot win.

• Love 7

I think we have all gotten addicted to the snark that JoMika gift to us....the show seems incredibly dull without them.  I shouldn't speak for everyone...I love to hate-watch them, too.  But.  While I still love to cannot-stand-them...and it is sometimes like watching a big family squabble...I think I am ready to get over them.  There has to be a middle ground between Willie (love him but don't think he can carry a show) and Joe (and his alpha-male ego).  After awhile the rants all sound the same.  The egos are mind-numbing and at this point, the Gold Dust Twins are starting to believe their own publicity...and I think they think the 6-9 morning hour could not go on without them.  Maybe they are right.  It is almost like they WANT the show to be vanilla when they are gone.

Surely there are people who could take over that could both entertain and gift us with lots to make fun of and snark on.  Questionable wardrobe, make-up and hair choices.  Oh, and agree...that dress Elise Jordan had on today was terrible.  At least it was on the teevee.  It did nothing to flatter her; maybe she should have worn a scarf with it.  Just saying.

• Love 4

Maybe I'm letting my TV opinion color things too much but I got the impression from the All Things At Once book that she is more about checking off boxes than anything else. She got married and had kids when it was "time" to do so but her heart and soul has always been about her career. Joey and MJ came along when she was floundering professionally after 20+ years in her industry, she was halfway to an empty nest and Mr Mika was outliving his usefulness.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

I think we have all gotten addicted to the snark that JoMika gift to us....the show seems incredibly dull without them.  I shouldn't speak for everyone...I love to hate-watch them, too.  But.  While I still love to cannot-stand-them...and it is sometimes like watching a big family squabble...I think I am ready to get over them.  There has to be a middle ground between Willie (love him but don't think he can carry a show) and Joe (and his alpha-male ego).  After awhile the rants all sound the same.  The egos are mind-numbing and at this point, the Gold Dust Twins are starting to believe their own publicity...and I think they think the 6-9 morning hour could not go on without them.  Maybe they are right.  It is almost like they WANT the show to be vanilla when they are go

I love this post so much I'm getting teary-eyed.  It is a spot-on observation of this show.  It used to be 'good', back when Mika was more normal and Joe's ego hadn't inflated like a parade balloon.

A agree that they think the 6-9 hour couldn't go on without them BUT.....that's what I thought when Don Imus got kicked off the air and then that time slot floundered for awhile.  Then JoMika showed up and the rest is history.  So I really do think that time slot could be revamped, but it would need the right people.

I squealed when I saw Nicolle co-anchoring this morning and a light bulb went off:  She could be the perfect replacement for Joe.  She has past political experience and knows 'inside info', but she is actually likeable.  And actually intelligent.  As for a partner, my vote is for Michael Avenatti!  He'd be the perfect counterpoint to Nicolle.  She's got the political viewpoint and a cheery personality and he has the legal background, with a smooth-suave demeanor.  I don't know what his interviewing skills are, but since he's a lawyer I'd assume he knows how to ask intelligent questions - without bullying, steam-rolling, and name-dropping.  Oh, and those eyes.   *sigh*

Now all I have to do is come up with a show name and email my slam-dunk suggestion to MSNBC, right?    ?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, millennium said:

Without Scarborough, Morning Joe becomes Morning No.   Click. 

I like the old Joe Scarborough who had different opinions that most people on MSNBC. The new Joe Scarborough since the Trump Circus started in 2015, is annoying to watch . I can't take him seriously as a political analyst. This morning  I watched First Look to see what was going on. I am tired of Joe's daily rants that contradict his earlier rants. It gets me frustrated because when he goes after Trump, my memory tells me that Joe said the opposite thing a few years ago.

For example, on Tax reform, Joe was blasting the new tax reform, but years ago, Joe wanted lower corporate taxes. He went on tirades for weeks at how Obama's proposed tax increases would hurt plumbers & small business people. now Joe is mad because he can't deduct all of his property taxes on his Connecticut home.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Maybe I'm letting my TV opinion color things too much but I got the impression from the All Things At Once book that she is more about checking off boxes than anything else. She got married and had kids when it was "time" to do so but her heart and soul has always been about her career. Joey and MJ came along when she was floundering professionally after 20+ years in her industry, she was halfway to an empty nest and Mr Mika was outliving his usefulness.

I am in the process of re reading the book now. Mika admitted that her family wasn't happy when she was at home and not working. She was terrified of losing her job before age 40. She was let go from CBS & had to beg for her job back at MSNBC. Working overnight at 2 am is not prestigious. Luckily, Joe was watching & salivating over her while in his bedroom with Susan.

Once I finish that book, I want to re read Knowing your Value.

Friday Recap. Cackles & Willie are co hosting. Mika & Joe may return on Monday. Everyone is excited about hookers. Donnie said he knew a lot about businessmen visiting Moscow. There are hookers available in the clubs. Today's topics are Mueller, Comey etc.

Giuliani is going to help Trump.

• Love 3

When I saw Nicolle Wallace was cohosting today, I kept the show on, and am completely enjoying the discussions this morning.  And it seems like a different set of other commentators than usual.  

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, oakville said:

Luckily, Joe was watching & salivating over her while in his bedroom with Susan.

I'm not sure luck has anything to do with it.   As a celebrity, he could easily pick up women half his age and lightyears ahead of Mika in the looks department.   The fact that he's with her suggests he's either super-lazy and couldn't be bothered to cast his net any further than the next dressing room over or she must bring something very special to the party.   What it could be baffles me, but there they are. 

• Love 3

I JUST SAW THE GIUILIANI/TRUMP perfume commercial that I had never even heard about previously.  That is one of the weirdest clips ever, mostly because of Trump sniffing Rudy's neck and uh, breasts?  How can I unsee this?

And Millennium has posted it!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, millennium said:

Oh yeah, Rudy's gonna be real "helpful" if this ever makes its way into some political ad.  What a couple of doofuses to even do that in the first place. 

And just when I thought tRump's hairdo couldn't possibly get any worse.  A come-over and a mullet.

Rudy is Donald's wet dream come true:  Legal eagle / hooker combo. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, jjj said:

When I saw Nicolle Wallace was cohosting today, I kept the show on, and am completely enjoying the discussions this morning.  And it seems like a different set of other commentators than usual.  

It’s the usual group. Donnie Deutsch bragged about having a lot of experience with Russian hookers. Barnicle was there

44 minutes ago, millennium said:

I'm not sure luck has anything to do with it.   As a celebrity, he could easily pick up women half his age and lightyears ahead of Mika in the looks department.   The fact that he's with her suggests he's either super-lazy and couldn't be bothered to cast his net any further than the next dressing room over or she must bring something very special to the party.   What it could be baffles me, but there they are. 

It’s not about looks. Joe wanted to date someone whose family had establishment credentials  . Dr Z was one of the first high profile foreign policy advisers to endorse Obama in 2008. 

Joe must have known who dr Z was in 2008.

mika had connections to political guests from her dads Rolodex.

it helped getting bookings for the show in the early days.

joes contacts were with GOP hackss

It was a good combination.

They were able to get guests from both political parties

51 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I love Craig Melvin.  He's my news boyfriend.

He must be upset that he was not offered Matt Lauers job.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, oakville said:

It’s the usual group. Donnie Deutsch bragged about having a lot of experience with Russian hookers. Barnicle was there

Yes, I'm watching the rerun of hour one now, and see Donnie Deutsch, who is also introducing segments.  Maybe I did not recognize the hour two group. 

• Love 1
Just now, Caseysgirl said:

Was that clip a SNL skit?  If not, what purpose did it serve for either of these guys, other than some fantasy role play, for them to go to all the trouble of filming this? It wasn't even funny.

It was a clip from an SNL skit back in the 90s I think when Guiliani hosted SNL.  He LOVES to dress up in drag.

I lmao when Willie said, so dryly, "that's the President and his new lawyer". 

I enjoy Willie and Nicole. I don't need all this drama and yelling in the morning. I want information, commentary and a little light humor.  I have been stressed out over politics the last year, and I'm over it.  Mika is a shallow twit, and Joe is a bully. Not my idea of fun people to watch on tv.  

• Love 9

Pat Cunnane's book West Winging It sounds like a good read so I ordered it via kindle just now, also Knowing Your Value (because I found out it has name-dropping and quotes and anecdotes). I used to order a lot of books because of authors who guested on MJ; recently, not so many.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

It was a clip from an SNL skit back in the 90s I think when Guiliani hosted SNL.  He LOVES to dress up in drag.

I have seen the clip credited to the Mayor's Inner Circle Press Roast, 2000.   Whatever that is. 

19 minutes ago, oakville said:

It’s not about looks. Joe wanted to date someone whose family had establishment credentials  . Dr Z was one of the first high profile foreign policy advisers to endorse Obama in 2008. 

Joe must have known who dr Z was in 2008.

mika had connections to political guests from her dads Rolodex.

it helped getting bookings for the show in the early days.

Okay, fine, but conventional wisdom says dump her once you're up and running.  Not marry her, lol. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, millennium said:

I have seen the clip credited to the Mayor's Inner Circle Press Roast, 2000.   Whatever that is. 

Okay, fine, but conventional wisdom says dump her once you're up and running.  Not marry her, lol. 

Whipped has no wisdom.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, suomi said:

That is probably correct. He did it on SNL too so I may have confused them. 

1 hour ago, suomi said:

Pat Cunnane's book West Winging It sounds like a good read so I ordered it via kindle just now, also Knowing Your Value (because I found out it has name-dropping and quotes and anecdotes). I used to order a lot of books because of authors who guested on MJ; recently, not so many.

I used to do that well. They have virtually no authors, or anyone from Hollywood anymore. 

Its Barnicle & Donny Deutsch! 

They should freshen up the regulars

• Love 4
1 hour ago, suomi said:

She’s re-releasing Knowing Your Value in a few months. It’s going to have !new! advice, a section on workplace romances (lol), and new details about things Trump said/did to her. I’m here for that mess. 

1 hour ago, millennium said:

I loled at this. I think Joe is legit enamored with her and think she’s more beautiful than southern BBQ. 

• Love 2

I'm disappointed the news outlets aren't running the clip around the clock, with the intro:

This will not be the first time Guiliani and Trump have worked together ...

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

I've really come a long way regarding what I think of Nicole Wallace.  I am a huge fan now. 
They had a great panel at one point.  I don't know the names of many of them, but the guy with the difficult name and incredibly high hair (which he has since tamed) was on the set during this period.  There was:  dude, Elise (no arms visible), Nicole, Willie, some dude, a conservative dude, and high hair guy.  They were measured and thorough and smart.  Great panel.

The guy on the left described how the state of political division and the collapse of the GOP into populism started with Sarah Palin.  My eyes were too sleepy to watch Nicole's face as he indirectly laid responsibility at Nicole's feet.

Clint Watts has lost a lot of weight, and has loosened up a LOT from his first appearances.  He's on MSNBC right now.  I think he's more comfortable on TV now than previously.  It turns out this new relaxed, centered Clint is, um... "fashionable," something I hadn't expected.    https://www.fpri.org/contributor/clint-watts/

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

he guy on the left described how the state of political division and the collapse of the GOP into populism started with Sarah Palin.  My eyes were too sleepy to watch Nicole's face as he indirectly laid responsibility at Nicole's feet.

That's kind of not fair of him. She didn't choose Palin, she was just saddled with trying to handle her. It was Schmidt and McCain's other advisors, in a rush to pick a woman to steal some of Obama's thunder and they selected her based on the YouTube video of her at a Governor's conference when she had apparently taken the right dosage of her meds and seemed sane. Also she was attractive and every nitwit Republican man over the age of 70 had a huge boner for her.  

Nicole can't be blamed for Palin's craziness, unless she was told "tie her up and lock her in a closet" and she failed to do so. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, XOQueens said:

She’s re-releasing Knowing Your Value in a few months. It’s going to have !new! advice, a section on workplace romances (lol), and new details about things Trump said/did to her. I’m here for that mess. 

I loled at this. I think Joe is legit enamored with her and think she’s more beautiful than southern BBQ. 

Around 2010-2012 , Mika & Joe we’re doing a show in Alabama @ The Roll Tide Stadium. Susan Scarborough was there with Mika . Mika tussled Joe’s youngest boys hair. Susan gave her a shocked look. 

Mika has a more sophisticated look than Susan.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, teddysmom said:

That's kind of not fair of him. She didn't choose Palin, she was just saddled with trying to handle her. It was Schmidt and McCain's other advisors, in a rush to pick a woman to steal some of Obama's thunder and they selected her based on the YouTube video of her at a Governor's conference when she had apparently taken the right dosage of her meds and seemed sane. Also she was attractive and every nitwit Republican man over the age of 70 had a huge boner for her.  

Nicole can't be blamed for Palin's craziness, unless she was told "tie her up and lock her in a closet" and she failed to do so. 

I agree.  Nicole didn't work with Palin that long.  The Republican VP announcement came on August 29, 2008.  From what I've read the vetting was rushed. The Republican convention was 9/1 - 9/4. The election would have been early November.  Looking back, it seemed like Palin was on the national scene much longer.  If asked, my guess would have been 6 to 8 months. I was surprised to find out how little time actually passed.  Even if Nicole had things figured out by the end of the convention, there were only 2 months left and they were committed.  With all the rallies and interviews and only a few weeks left, Nicole probably didn't have much time to consider her options and had to power through.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I find it hilarious that Schmidt is considered to be a hero now by Joe because of his scathing attacks on President Trump. However, Schmidt was reckless when he advised John McCain, the oldest GOP nominee in history with medical issues to pick Sarah Palin who was clearly unqualified to replace McCain. Schmidt should never be allowed to run a Presidential campaign again. As for Cackles Wallace, I am not sure if she knew that Palin was unfit for office, so she set up her up for the disastrous Catie Couric interview. Cackles smiles too much but she is better at her job than Mika & Joe now.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, madfortv said:

I agree.  Nicole didn't work with Palin that long.  The Republican VP announcement came on August 29, 2008.  From what I've read the vetting was rushed. The Republican convention was 9/1 - 9/4. The election would have been early November.  Looking back, it seemed like Palin was on the national scene much longer.  If asked, my guess would have been 6 to 8 months. I was surprised to find out how little time actually passed.  Even if Nicole had things figured out by the end of the convention, there were only 2 months left and they were committed.  With all the rallies and interviews and only a few weeks left, Nicole probably didn't have much time to consider her options and had to power through.

This was a classic clip of Peggy Noonan calling the Palin pick a BS move & political gimmick. Murphy & Noonan said it would have more sense to pick Kay Bailey Hutchison.

• Love 3

Even with all the f'ups Steve Schmidt made in the past, I still love him and I'm happy whenever he's on MJ or Nicolle's show.

It was only a couple of weeks ago on MJ he called trump an idiot.  Best moment of the show that day.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, millennium said:

Those of us who remain uninfected by Twitter are unable to view.

Well damn! Someone is documenting Mika's days off. It's an extensive effort. Lol. The link might work here

• Love 3

Seems to me, after glimpsing that Twitter link, that Mika has a lot of "mornings off"....at least it seems that way when you see it in black and white.  I guess we have gotten so accustomed to her not being there (at all) that when you actually look, she is gone an awful lot.  Awfully lot?

Regarding Steve Schmidt guesting.  Is he on MJ often? I love that he feels free to speak truth to power. Remember...the interview with Katie Couric seemed like a no-brainer.  What could be easier than naming books/papers and magazines that you read regularly.  Anyone could answer that; it didn't seem like Katie was asking a "gotcha" (love Palin for that word) question.  Joe cannot hold his own with smart guests (that would explain some of the regulars); he covers by bluster and rants.  You can practically see him marking his territory when Schmidt or anyone who is media-savvy, witty or smart comes on the show.  He would rather his guests slouch in their chairs like Barnicle.  

• Love 3