Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, oakville said:

It’s hilarious to see how differently Mika behaves when she is the sole host. Willie isn’t there either.

I wonder why Joe didn’t bother to show up today. Joe loves it when the Trump administration fires someone.

A couple of weeks ago, I think Joe said that he was going to be taking his son to some spring training baseball games, so I am guessing that's where he is. Willie never is on MJ on Mondays because he works Sunday.

• Love 1
On 3/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, oakville said:

This commercial was filmed in Donnie Deutsche's apartment in the fall of 2011. Donnie has a cameo as the elevator operator. There is another version of the commercial where Mika wakes up in Donnie's bed  & looks at him in horror.

I thought it was funny, am I going to hell?

• Love 4

This came up in the YouTube queue after the commercial at Donny's. I didn't have the sound on because it's pre-rubbingerectionsoncoworkersgate Halperin and Lumberjack!Joe, but it has inside shots of the Morning Joe studio. It was worth it to see the huge wall-size portrait of Joe and Mika in its full glory.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

I thought it was funny, am I going to hell?

I remember seeing these when they first came out. Mika runs like that at 5 am?  Really? low cut tank top and short shorts? In the dark?   I guess it's just me, I run in mens' basketball shorts and a loose teeshirt. But I wasn't trying to seduce my co worker. 

Willie & Louis are partying at 5 am?  In 2011 Willie had been married for 8 years. I'm pretty sure he's not partying with models at 5 am. 

Not going, in. We're all in hell. every morning 6-9 am. :)

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3

The level of panic on display this morning was deeply unsettling.  They all realize the GOP is going to allow Trump to be absolutely corrupt and circumvent the Constitution and gut 200+ years of democratic structure.
Muller will get fired and Paul Ryan will do nothing.

2 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

The level of panic on display this morning was deeply unsettling.  They all realize the GOP is going to allow Trump to be absolutely corrupt and circumvent the Constitution and gut 200+ years of democratic structure.

I don't know. Graham was tweeting about it this morning, ie "firing Mueller is the beginning of the end" and so is Gowdy.  I think they're just trying to hang on as long as they can but the writing is on the wall. Graham wants the McCabe firing investigated. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

They're doing nothing now, so what makes the panel think the GOP will do anything ever?  They could pass one of the bipartisan acts to protect Mueller that were developed back in May, the first time there was talk of firing Mueller.  But McConnell and Ryan said they don't see any reason to act now.  And, I'm pretty sure they never will.

The GOP has given every indication they will sit back and will not do anything, not yesterday, not today, not ever.  I have no idea why the panel thinks that will change.  What evidence do they have that the GOP has any desire to act?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Someone tweeted at Kasie last week "Do you all take gullible pills every day?"  It really is time for guests on this show, Joe, Mika to some extent,  and in fact everyone in the media to stop giving anyone in this Administration the benefit of the doubt.  It's reminiscent of when they were all tap dancing trying to figure out what Nunes was doing the first time when he was making the midnight runs to the WH like that was totally normal behavior of a member of Congress.  Or acting like John Kelly was the second coming of Christ, which blew up the minute he showed his racist tendencies with the Congresswoman in FL. That took what, one month into his tenure? 

Stop normalizing this WH. You're the ones doing it. Not just Fox or One America. Morning Joe is as complicit if not moreso, because no one expected an MSNBC show to kiss Trump's ass the way they did.  They all fall all over themselves to try to be sympathetic to people like Tillerson .  The man got the highest honor Russia could bestow on a person. He was hand picked by the Kremlin. He's out only because he must have had some come to Jesus moment and realized what a murderous thug Putin is. 

People would have so much more respect if Joe Scarborough would just say, "you know what, we fucked up". 

Mika & Joe & Barnicle should apologize to viewers for cheerleading Trump at his rallies. Trumps rallies are no different in 2018 than late 2015 & 2016. Barnicle loved being one of the cool kids with VIP access to Trumps rallies. Joe wanted the high ratings from Trumps phone in interviews. The high ratings have continued as msnbc viewers tune in now to watch them bash Trump.

They are making a lot of extra money in ratings bonuses from this horror show.

If that any integrity, they would donate part of their salaries to fund young journalists to do the deep investigative reports into Trumps business dealings before the election.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I was still half living in Europe and half living in the States during the transition and early Trump days, so I don't remember which continent I heard this on, let alone who I heard this from, but I remember hearing someone on television or radio having a really interesting discussion on how a real vulnerability with America during Trump will be him setting fire to the non-codified aspects of government that rule so much of American democracy, and once those are gone it is a free-style sh!tshow with the rest of it. 

ETA: I know Mika misses her father deeply, and this is going to come off über bitchy, which I don't really mean, but she really goes overboard. He was solid for his time, but Zbig-style-foreign-policy is not policy for 2018. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I remember seeing these when they first came out. Mika runs like that at 5 am?  Really? low cut tank top and short shorts? In the dark?   I guess it's just me, I run in mens' basketball shorts and a loose teeshirt. But I wasn't trying to seduce my co worker. 

Willie & Louis are partying at 5 am?  In 2011 Willie had been married for 8 years. I'm pretty sure he's not partying with models at 5 am. 

Not going, in. We're all in hell. every morning 6-9 am. :)

7 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I was still half living in Europe and half living in the States during the transition and early Trump days, so I don't remember which continent I heard this on, let alone who I heard this from, but I remember hearing someone on television or radio having a really interesting discussion on how a real vulnerability with America during Trump will be him setting fire to the non-codified aspects of government that rule so much of American democracy, and once those are gone it is a free-style sh!tshow with the rest of it. 

ETA: I know Mika misses her father deeply, and this is going to come off über bitchy, which I don't really mean, but she really goes overboard. He was solid for his time, but Zbig-style-foreign-policy is not policy for 2018. 

If you google Dr Z’s foreign policy during the late 1970s, you might be surprised at how his decisions affected today’s foreign policy.

His theory was that arming Islamic rebels in Afghanistan would tie down the Soviets. It would be like America in Vietnam

• Love 2

Osama Bin Laden was one of the fighters in Afghanistan.

no one back then thought that Islamic rebels would attack the USA.

Mika lived in Bronxville NY back in 2011. I doubt t she would run around Manhattan in the dark at 5 am.

I think Mika & Joe bought a NY Condo in 2013-2015. It was a Page Six story.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

was still half living in Europe and half living in the States during the transition and early Trump days, so I don't remember which continent I heard this on, let alone who I heard this from, but I remember hearing someone on television or radio having a really interesting discussion on how a real vulnerability with America during Trump will be him setting fire to the non-codified aspects of government that rule so much of American democracy, and once those are gone it is a free-style sh!tshow with the rest of it. 

It's time America stop having this "lack of imagination" when it comes to Russia, and realize they are capable of anything and everything.  If it takes running deep state ops to stop this shit, then that's what it takes. Every day Trump refuses to do anything about Russia/Putin is just another day he's committing treason.

His first job is to protect this country.  He's  fighting imaginary monsters, while holding the door wide open for the real one. 

1 minute ago, oakville said:

Mika lived in Bronxville NY back in 2011. I doubt t she would run around Manhattan in the dark at 5 am.

I live in Indianapolis, in a very lovely area with a relatively low crime rate. I wouldn't run in the dark at 5 am.  TBS I do run in the fall around 6 pm when it gets dark because of the fucking time change. But 6 pm when people are out walking and coming home isn't the same as 5 am. IMO.  

I'm sure the commercial wardrobe was her way of saying "look how hot I am!!" 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

It's time America stop having this "lack of imagination" when it comes to Russia, and realize they are capable of anything and everything.  If it takes running deep state ops to stop this shit, then that's what it takes. Every day Trump refuses to do anything about Russia/Putin is just another day he's committing treason.

His first job is to protect this country.  He's  fighting imaginary monsters, while holding the door wide open for the real one. 

I live in Indianapolis, in a very lovely area with a relatively low crime rate. I wouldn't run in the dark at 5 am.  TBS I do run in the fall around 6 pm when it gets dark because of the fucking time change. But 6 pm when people are out walking and coming home isn't the same as 5 am. IMO.  

I'm sure the commercial wardrobe was her way of saying "look how hot I am!!" 

Mika looked great in her running gear & fancy sleeveless dress.

Joe looked like a slob.

I think this the same year that Mika & Joe went to University of Alabama for a road trip. They filmed a special segment of Mika wearring  similar outfit running up & down the steps of the football stadium. 

2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika looked great in her running gear & fancy sleeveless dress.

Joe looked like a slob.

I think this the same year that Mika & Joe went to University of Alabama for a road trip. They filmed a special segment of Mika wearring  similar outfit running up & down the steps of the football stadium. 

Joe’s lost a lot of weight since getting with Mika full time. He looks better than the early videos I’ve seen of him. 

• Love 2

A big mystery for Morning Joe viewers has been solved.

Mika tweeted that she gets her scarves from JMClaughlin.com

For years, I thought she was getting them from Protestant Clergy Uniform stores.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Joe’s lost a lot of weight since getting with Mika full time. He looks better than the early videos I’ve seen of him. 

Joe is definitely thinner now, especially in the face, but I prefer his old hair style. I also think he looks better wearing glasses. It makes his eyes appear not to be so tiny in comparison to the rest of his head.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, oakville said:

A big mystery for Morning Joe viewers has been solved.

For years, I thought she was getting them from Protestant Clergy Uniform stores.

I went to go look at the scarf tweet and saw she just tweeted out her latest knowing your value campaign ad featuring Mikas!Paris!Hilton!moment!. Am I being cynical? I think she needs to address getting engaged to her boss if she's going to keep going on this. And address why she just takes all the verbal hits from Joe on air if she knows her value.

Edited by XOQueens
Paris!Hilton!
  • Love 1

Ok, enough with the scarves. Mika needs a stylist.

Mika was annoyed with Paul Ryan issuing a statement through his spokesperson regarding McCabe's firing. Someone pointed out that at least he issued a statement.

McConnell has crawled into his shell. He has nothing to say.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

Mika must have taken the time away from Joe this weekend to get a make over. 

And they sold her on contouring.  I don't get why anyone thinks the natural flush of their cheeks is brown.   

23 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

And address why she just takes all the verbal hits from Joe on air if she knows her value.

Just asked her in a tweet, also did the affair with Joe help her stock rise. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

I just looked on their web site. They don't even have an "accessories" section, I had to do a search for scarves. 

Not a single model is wearing a strip of fabric draped around her neck like an Episcopalian priest. One model is going all Coachella on us with the scarf on her head, she must be one of those hippies they talk about. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Who wants to bet Mika doesn't know what a "honey trap" is?  

Extra points if she starts yelling STOP STOP or  walks off set

Is the honey trap theory back in play with Trump? I can't keep up. (ETA: I just caught up. Oh god I can't wait until tomorrow morning.) I don't think Mika is an oblivious as she makes herself out to be. Last week she was shocked and appalled at sexts. She probably had an affair, come on bb.

I just watched Mika's newest home video for Knowing Your Value. She's certainly being really productive on her own. The re-release must be coming up soon. You can see a Scarborough for Congress yard sign (or whatever) briefly flash in the background when she's re-situating herself about halfway through. Lol. Can you imagine willingly signing up to relive Joe's time in Congress for, in theory, the rest of your life?

Edited by XOQueens
I became enlightened about Ukrainian sex workers.
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

"What's Facebook"?  

I remember when the stock went public. Joe said Zuckerberg is too young to run a public company & he doesn't know what he is doing. Donnie Deutsch was on the show that day & agreed. He said that people should "short" the stock. It was around $18 then. It closed today at $173. I am glad I don't get financial advice from this show. 

4 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Is the honey trap theory back in play with Trump? I can't keep up. (ETA: I just caught up. Oh god I can't wait until tomorrow morning.) I don't think Mika is an oblivious as she makes herself out to be. Last week she was shocked and appalled at sexts. She probably had an affair, come on bb.

I just watched Mika's newest home video for Knowing Your Value. She's certainly being really productive on her own. The re-release must be coming up soon. You can see a Scarborough for Congress yard sign (or whatever) briefly flash in the background when she's re-situating herself about halfway through. Lol. Can you imagine willingly signing up to relive Joe's time in Congress for, in theory, the rest of your life?

Several years ago, Barnicle & Joe tried to explain the sexual act of a "pearl necklace" to Mika. It took Mika a minute to visualize what it meant. She was horrified & ran off the set.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, cased said:

A couple of weeks ago, I think Joe said that he was going to be taking his son to some spring training baseball games, so I am guessing that's where he is. Willie never is on MJ on Mondays because he works Sunday.

I like Willie's Sunday Show. He is a good interviewer & the topics are pretty interesting. He interviewed Ricky Gervais.

Joe is a good dad for taking his son to see baseball. However, his love for Red Sox drives me nuts. He should be an Atlanta Braves fan given where he spent most of his youth. He could also have been a Tampa Bay Rays fan given that was the closest team to the area he represented in Congress.

I don't get why he would support the Red Sox. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Several years ago, Barnicle & Joe tried to explain the sexual act of a "pearl necklace" to Mika. It took Mika a minute to visualize what it meant. She was horrified & ran off the set.

Anyone who says they wouldn’t run off horrified if Barnicle and Joe started talking about ejaculation with them is lying. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Anyone who says they wouldn’t run off horrified if Barnicle and Joe started talking about ejaculation with them is lying. 

I mis remembered part of this clip. Barnicle said that Willie wore a Pearl Necklace in College. Mika was confused & demanded that they go to break.

• Love 1

I am so deeply ashamed that I used to watch Joe DiGenova on Rivera Live during the OJ trial and often agreed with his viewpoints.  It's hard to believe the person featured in those clips from Fox is the same person.

What the hell does Trump do to people?   Bring the worst of everyone to the surface?   Look at John Kelly, formerly respected, now as petty and power-mongering as Trump himself.   

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, millennium said:

I am so deeply ashamed that I used to watch Joe DiGenova on Rivera Live during the OJ trial and often agreed with his viewpoints.   

I remember watching Rivera Live on CNBC. I didn't realize that show lasted as long as it did. I remember it as the first show I saw Dan Abrams on. That was back when Geraldo was still entertaining somewhat. Now he's a FN troll. 

Sorry about the weather situation affecting everyone up north.

Most of the polls and group interviews on these stations are manipulated in some way. It makes them more annoying to watch instead of being informative in any way. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, millennium said:

I am so deeply ashamed that I used to watch Joe DiGenova on Rivera Live during the OJ trial and often agreed with his viewpoints.  It's hard to believe the person featured in those clips from Fox is the same person.

What the hell does Trump do to people?   Bring the worst of everyone to the surface?   Look at John Kelly, formerly respected, now as petty and power-mongering as Trump himself.   

Mika is very upset that Trump hired someone from "Fox News" She is very condescending to Fox. Of course, it was OK during the transition for Joe to recommend Harold Ford Jr ! for a cabinet post. He also recommended Richard Haas for Secretary of State.  I think it's a good idea for Trump to hire a " My Cousin Vinny " look alike lawyer.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, millennium said:

I call bullshit on the Monmouth University poll.    It seems like the pollsters were leading the respondents. 

Pollsters do this all the time!. It's one reason why the polls were unable to forecast Trump winning the election. Very few people answer their phones anymore. During the primaries Joe  said that people would tell him privately that they would vote for Trump but would publicly stay neutral or say they were voting for Clinton. Of course, during the election campaign, Joe would frequently tout any poll that agreed with his talking points. Joe stil does that. He always finds a poll that shows Trump having 30% support. It's better to use an average of polls.

• Love 1

It's glaring. The show is so much better when Mika and Joe don't work together.

What the hell did Mika and Ignatius expect out of Robert Gibbs?  It's a pleasure to see him and wallow in the glory days  :)

• Love 2

Tuesday Recap. Mika is wearing a burgundy top with her red flowery scarf. She has worn this scarf before. Mika is mad at Trump for picking a new lawyer who believes that it is a conspiracy theory that Trump is in all this legal trouble. Ignatius is happy that the military generals around Trump provide stability. Ignatius is upset that 60% of people believe in the deep state & the elite runs Washington.

Ignatius wants a return of Democracy to the USA. He doesn't like demagogue's leaders running Washington.

60% believe that unelected & unappointed officials have too much power.

Barnicle is yelling a clouds & blaming Americans for listening to Trump's conspiracies.

LOL!. Remember the ratings Barnicle! Luckily, Barnicle still has a lot of credibility with the viewing public.

3 minutes ago, stormy said:

What the hell did Mika and Ignatius expect out of Robert Gibbs?  It's a pleasure to see him and wallow in the glory days  :)

Mika is less hyper today. I like the Washington Studio. You can see the sun rise throughout the show.

• Love 2

The weather looks bad in the NorthEast!. Stay safe!. It's chilly in Toronto , but no snow.

Cambridge Analytica took data from Facebook & tried to change the outcome of the Sri Lanka election. They also helped Trump.

Do people vote based on Facebook ads?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, stormy said:

You really think so?    The show seems really tedious today, just a rehash of yesterday's rehash.   "Will Trump fire Mueller?"  God!  Enough already.   Maybe they can spread some entrails on the desk and divine the answer from that.   But I was wondering, is it because the news is tedious or because the Blowhard isn't on the set?

• Love 1
On 2/23/2016 at 5:29 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Maybe because I find him so lacking in any credibility I tend to think this way.  But I don't think Scarborough loves Trump as much as loved Christie.  With Christie I always got a sense, deluded mind you, that Scarobough saw kissing his ample ass was a way to get back inside.  Scarborough reminds me of the guys who couldn't play sports worth shit.  But also weren't the guys who simply loved sports.  But those that saw sports as a defining means of worth.   So they sit on the sidelines and become 'experts'.  Conflating opinion with fact most often.  He is the guy in the stands who thinks every play reflects on his own skills and talents even though in truth they don't exist.

And that is the show in a nutshell for me.

But with Trump there is a difference.  It is like Scarborough is finally realizing no one is going to point to the guy in the stands and demand he come down and make the winning play.  Or more apt maybe, he is the kid who won't play nice and so the rest of the kids cold shoulder him as they build the sand castle at the playground together.  And Scarborough's glee at Trump is akin to laughing when someone playing a game stumbles in the sandbox and knocks over the castle he just until that happened desperately wanted to help build.  Well tell the others how to build.

I think he knows he is outclassed in politics.  Hugely.  And he knows his show exists well enough on its own.  You could prop a piece of fruit on a chair and most guests would still show up because in one way or another they have something to sell or an ego that likes the attention.  Mostly both.  And he knows that for all his top secret highly placed sources, none of them match the roster of guests that are happy to come on the show.  None of them is whispering sweet somethings of policy or matter in his ears no matter what he claims.

And Trump careens through all 'that' like a drunken bull with four legs hobbled and a ball pacifier incorrectly applied.  He upsets all that.  He goes beyond all logic or sense.  And I think Scarobough loves that in some regard.  Also he is cunning enough to have realized how easy Trump is to get.  Scarborough gets to have it both ways.  He can be lazy and inept and not do the job he claims he is so good at and no one else and have access to a lightning rod in the media.  He doesn't have to put any effort into having Trump stick to facts or be held accountable and in turn it adds to the attention Scarborough gets himself.  Remember a few years back when The Daily Show skewered Morning Joe for the first time? Scarborough was almost publicly indecent he was so giddy.  It did not matter that Jon Stewart pretty much said what most of us say here about his skills and ability. All rolled into a five minute schedule.  THE show about news and politics talked about him.  Like the SNL skit where the handsome popular guy says something nasty about a girl; but the girl is thrilled he just knows her name.

This is a post from 2 years ago. New viewers of Morning Joe should be reminded how quickly Mika & Joe's opinions on a politician can change. It's all about ratings & money.

Robert Gibbs is back. He is an executive with McDonald's now. He used to be on the show regularly during the Obama administration.

• Love 4

Gibbs was reluctant to criticize Trump. he said that he isn't a political pundit anymore. Gibbs said that Bush Jr treated Obama well & didn't bash him every day when he took over as President. Mika loved McDonald's French Fries.

McDonald's will be environmentally friendly. Haas was excited that states & cities are participating in climate change.

I turned it off.   I was bored silly.    They need to move beyond Trump, to acknowledge there's still a big world out there where other stuff is happening.   I would have liked a segment on the death of the last male northern white rhino.     All the others have been hunted out of existence because Asians gotta have the horns for their elixirs and shit.

Beyond simple interest, I wish they would diminish the Trump coverage  just to rob him of some of his power.    Can you imagine how his ego gets off on the knowledge that every cable news show is talking about him and nothing but him ALL DAY LONG?    I know why they won't of course -- ratings and money.   They criticize Republicans for their inability to wean themselves off Trump but when you think about it Scarborough et al are latched onto the other teat.   And all for the same reason -- to improve their own standing.   

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, millennium said:

I turned it off.   I was bored silly.    They need to move beyond Trump, to acknowledge there's still a big world out there where other stuff is happening.   I would have liked a segment on the death of the last male northern white rhino.     All the others have been hunted out of existence because Asians gotta have the horns for their elixirs and shit.

Beyond simple interest, I wish they would diminish the Trump coverage  just to rob him of some of his power.    Can you imagine how his ego gets off on the knowledge that every cable news show is talking about him and nothing but him ALL DAY LONG?    I know why they won't of course -- ratings and money.   They criticize Republicans for their inability to wean themselves off Trump but when you think about it Scarborough et al are latched onto the other teat.   And all for the same reason -- to improve their own standing.   

Agreed. I find it hilarious that Mika & Joe mocked Trump because they thought he would set up a Trump TV network after the election focused on bashing Hillary Clinton 24/7.

It looks to me that Morning Joe has become anti- Trump TV for 3 hours a day.

Mika is very excited about her Stormy Daniels Scoop.

I wonder how far Joe's ego goes. Does he search out reactions to the show? Is he morning drinking with 45-50 year old Floridian divorcees because social media likes Morning Joe minus Joe and with an extra shot of Mika?

10 hours ago, oakville said:

Is the honey trap theory back in play with Trump?

Cambridge Analytica uses it to help their clients throw elections, those men in the video were used by the British press to show the underhanded means CA will use.  Kushner hired CA for the general election.  

It's not in play re our general election that we know of, since it would be hard for Trump to use it on HRC, but it was definitely what the Russians may have tried to use on Trump.  There's an explanation re the pee tapes, it wasn't at the hotel, as there are witnesses that put him partying with people til 1 am, and that means he would have had hookers in the room, and then got up around 7 for an Apprentice promotional shoot. But that after he came home from Moscow, he and that Russian oligarch and the rock star son went to a club in Las Vegas where golden showers are part of the entertainment. There are pics of Trump at a table with them. 

The show is much better without Joe, even if it did indeed get boring after about 15 minutes. At least Mika keeps things flowing.

Klobuchar was on Rachel last night re Facebook, so I had already heard what she had to say. 

David Ignatius' tie coordinates with Mika's dress. Cute. Lol

Barnicle, go back to sleep.

2 hours ago, oakville said:

I mis remembered part of this clip. Barnicle said that Willie wore a Pearl Necklace in College. Mika was confused & demanded that they go to break.

That was so weird. Thanks for posting it, I think, lol. I'm glad to see the show's frat house feel is a long standing tradition.

Edited by XOQueens
Barnicle showed up on screen.
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Do people vote based on Facebook ads?

That's not the issue.  Cambridge Analytica stole the user profiles of 50 million Facebook users.  This means they know who their friends are, what they subscribe to, what they write, how frequently they use the platform, what they "like" on the platform, where they live, where they travel, where they work, male/female, education, values, parenthood, religion, politics, and on and on and on.  Facebook prides itself in its analytics and ability to slice data by demos and psychographics, as well as optimize ads/messaging against behavioral attribution algorithms (totally legit - if you bought shoes on Amazon Facebook could follow you with an ad for socks from your most local store, or a local 5k coming up - not sinister, helpful to you and the business who bought your data).
Cambridge Analytica built predictive analytics from all these profiles in order to build a strategy to manipulate values, probable voting habits, to biases, etc... all to exploit fears from less intelligent, more malleable minds.  To do this, they: set up fake accounts that would either incite real accounts to anger, or act as an echo chamber to exacerbate existing biases; they planted fake news stories disseminated by fake news "companies" that only exist as a Facebook page and these stories would be propagated by their fake accounts and then taken up and spread by real accounts; and other tactics too, it was a constant barrage of messaging designed to divide "us vs them."  It may seem benign but playing on fears probably won the election for Trump.  They also split the Hillary vote by backing Bernie, exploiting naive 20 somethings and cynical smart asses who hate the status quo, with fake stories, fake events, and boosting their energy with fake news about Hillary being corrupt.  A large portion of the voter base was manipulated by Cambridge Analytica and Russian intelligence.

The evidence of that today?  When Ignatius said that 75% of Americans believe there is a "deep state" cabal that controls the world.  That is so fucking stupid and simpleminded it's scary and deeply depressing.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

The evidence of that today?  When Ignatius said that 75% of Americans believe there is a "deep state" cabal that controls the world.  That is so fucking stupid and simpleminded it's scary and deeply depressing.

A modern update to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. 

• Love 2