Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Chris brought up Bobby's speech asking Joe if he remembered it. Joe said he did. How could that be possible? Unless he saw a video or something.

We turn to security clearances. Jared will never qualify for a permanent one but no matter he'll continue reading the PDB and all other top secret Intel so he can do his important job.

Then bingo! Chris excitingly says tump couldn't get a security clearance because he's being investigated by the FBI! Ha!

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Chloesmom said:

Both Scarborough and Matthews are clearly alpha males but Matthews has no respect for Joe.  Not many are more alpha than Olbermann but he and Matthews did ok at least when they worked together.  Not sure what they would think of each other these days.

I miss Keith.   No one does righteous disgust better.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

8:10 is a bunch of Sarah sanders outtakes.  I have come to believe that SHS is the smartest person in the White House.  She can spout the lies quicker and more facilely than anyone I've ever seen, including psychopaths.  Spicey always stammered and stuttered but Sanders ejects the lie immeditaley after the reporter's question.  In a humorless deadpan emotionless style.  I would love to see a SNL bit with her vs Satan.

And she always begins her answers with "Look, . . . " I'm not sure if that's a buying-time technique or a tell that she's about to lie.

• Love 4

I love this ex-Facebook guy Chris Hughes.  I wish someone could go into more detail about that tax business he was speaking to as it sounded like a gamechanger for the middle class.

3 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I see Joe skipped out on this panel with the Facebook co-founder to change his Twitter profile picture and header to Billy Graham. 

Twice divorced adulterer, classic.

Gross.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

And she always begins her answers with "Look, . . . " I'm not sure if that's a buying-time technique or a tell that she's about to lie.

Both.  She's really starting to look the worse for wear as do most in the WH.  She's a young wife and mother, I don't get it.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:
9 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I see Joe skipped out on this panel with the Facebook co-founder to change his Twitter profile picture and header to Billy Graham. 

Twice divorced adulterer, classic.

Gross.

I was thinking the same thing re serial adulterer and his evangelical upbringing. barf

• Love 2

I grew up Irish Catholic in New England, so I never got the whole Billy Graham thing, yet he seemed to always be on TV when I was a kid and a teen, sticking his two cents in and ingratiating himself with Presidents and telling everyone how to live.   From a very young age, he turned me off to the whole evangelical scene and gave me the impression evangelicals thought they were better positioned with God (and the President) than the rest of us.   Kinda snooty.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

I grew up Irish Catholic in New England, so I never got the whole Billy Graham thing, yet he seemed to always be on TV when I was a kid and a teen, sticking his two cents in and ingratiating himself with Presidents and telling everyone how to live.   From a very young age, he turned me off to the whole evangelical scene and gave me the impression evangelicals thought they were better positioned with God (and the President) than the rest of us.   Kinda snooty.

Ditto to this post, just change the word "England" to "Jersey".

• Love 4

I never got the whole Billy Graham thing, yet he seemed to always be on TV when I was a kid and a teen, sticking his two cents in and ingratiating himself with Presidents and telling everyone how to live. 

The second they interrupted with the Billy Graham death news item (RIP Pastor Graham) I turned it off because now we will have 2 days of 24 hour news where everyone tries to up-Evangelical each other talking about him and their "Faith."  Faith without works is dead in my playbook, so there.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I never got the whole Billy Graham thing, yet he seemed to always be on TV when I was a kid and a teen, sticking his two cents in and ingratiating himself with Presidents and telling everyone how to live. 

Joe left out the part where Graham was anti Semitic and probably Mike Pence's inspiration for anti LGBTQ.

Found one of Graham's advice columns that used to run in newspapers back in the 70s. Posted it in  Cup of Joe.  Not exactly "love all God's children" . 

• Love 7

I grew up in the south and remain here.  Billy Graham played approximately 0 role in my life.  I only know him because his shows would interfere with my weekend morning cartoons.  In what way was that ghoul positive?  He helped create "the moral majority," a puerile notion.  He launched a million scumbag evangelical TV shows and created a reprehensible industry.  He panders to the worst and stupidest, and his son is filth... the worst, most dangerous aspect of America.
So Joe's breathy heartfelt remembrances of this guy are a total fucking puzzlement to me. 

Chris and Joe talking over each other is Just. The. Worst.  It sounded like we were in a hen house and they're all clucking. bawk bawk bawk bawk

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Both Scarborough and Matthews are clearly alpha males but Matthews has no respect for Joe.  Not many are more alpha than Olbermann but he and Matthews did ok at least when they worked together.  Not sure what they would think of each other these days.

Joe hated Olbermann. There is a clip on You Tube from the 2008 convention with Olbermann telling Joe to stop saying BS & stop digging. Joe exploded at him.

Joe did brag a few years ago about how powerful he was at MSNBC & was able to convince Griffin to fire Olbermann Toure & other strong progressives from the network.

2 hours ago, millennium said:

I miss Keith.   No one does righteous disgust better.

Joe used to do a hilarious impression of Keith. “Tonight, Democracy died in America”

• Love 2

Scarborough hated Olbermann and Maddow both of who could wipe the floor with him if you woke them up out of a sound sleep and stuck a camera in their face.  He's a hack for hire and God help him when the MSNBC gravy train ends.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Billy Graham played approximately 0 role in my life.  I only know him because his shows would interfere with my weekend morning cartoons.  

Sunday mornings were rough.   You had to navigate past Graham and Oral Roberts and others.   And even then, the only kid fare you were likely to find was an episode or two of the Christian-themed "Davy and Goliath."

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I hadn't heard--in what way????

He's a near alt-right, fundamentalist who is politically active.  It's the one of the more dangerous cracks in American liberty that ideological assholes can exploit.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, millennium said:

He spawned the loathsome cretin Franklin Graham, and as far as I know never once disavowed any of his son's hateful, divisive, bigoted rhetoric. So, yeah, Joe can keep his sentiments to himself as far as I am concerned.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, Eliot said:

He spawned the loathsome cretin Franklin Graham, and as far as I know never once disavowed any of his son's hateful, divisive, bigoted rhetoric. So, yeah, Joe can keep his sentiments to himself as far as I am concerned.

Genetically, yes, but in terms of legacy he also spawned Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Jim and Tammy Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, Gene Scott and the rest of that ilk.

• Love 9

I am sick of pundits like Scarborough praising Trump for those rare moments when he performs the minimum requirements of his job.

Should we now forget this is the same president who just last year revoked an important gun law making it EASIER for mentally disturbed individuals to get guns?    Does that just get erased now, like all the other travesties that are forgotten whenever a new crisis grabs the national spotlight?

He was holding a note to remind himself to say "I hear you."   In an event called a LISTENING session!

Scarborough says he doesn't care about that but I sure do.     It suggests Trump lacks the most basic shred of compassion that would compel him to express concern and sympathy without cue cards.   The notes looked to me like a woman's handwriting.   Does that mean someone else prepared his notes for him?    Some other person had to instruct him to say "I hear you?"

Even more bizarre, I read yesterday that many of the people speaking at the "listening session" first praised Trump for his leadership before getting to their concerns about the shootings.   Can you imagine?   Again I ask, do they not know he revoked that law restricting sales of guns to mentally disturbed individuals?

• Love 14

Did I hear Joe, mid-rant, say that he wasn't making it about himself? My  God, everything is about Joe: gun control, the NRA, abortion, books that other people wrote, Mika'a Unitarian scarf collection. It's all Joe, all the time.

22 minutes ago, millennium said:

Even more bizarre, I read yesterday that many of the people speaking at the "listening session" first praised Trump for his leadership before getting to their concerns about the shootings.   Can you imagine?   Again I ask, do they not know he revoked that law restricting sales of guns to mentally disturbed individuals?

Remember that meeting Trump had with his cabinet and they spent the first 15 minutes kissing his ass? It's required. You have to grovel before you can address the king.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Lokiberry said:

Did I hear Joe, mid-rant, say that he wasn't making it about himself? My  God, everything is about Joe: gun control, the NRA, abortion, books that other people wrote, Mika'a Unitarian scarf collection. It's all Joe, all the time.

Remember that meeting Trump had with his cabinet and they spent the first 15 minutes kissing his ass? It's required. You have to grovel before you can address the king.

You're the second person to suggest that to me -- that they must have been told beforehand that they should first praise him.   Or maybe they simply intuited it from the numerous examples we've seen in the past year where he only agrees with people who flatter him.

• Love 5

I had to turn it off.   I have gun fatigue.    It's been a week now.    By this point, it's just the same stuff being said again and again.   It's like everybody's worried that if they stop talking about it, the momentum will be lost and nothing will get done.

• Love 4

What are these people even babbling about? Joe:  I remember when bad things happened we would just freeze on the Floor of the House or whisper in the coat room.What is happening to our country?

The older woman on the panel: I remember when drugs were getting big you could see it like a wave across the Floor as one person told another like a wave.  And you passed a law and now it's better  

I just woke up but none of any of that makes any  sense. 

• Love 5

Cokie Roberts! is on the panel. Where is Peggy Noonan? It's the best of the 1980's punditry!. Dukakis has a chance against Ferraro!

Why is she wearing a military style jacket?

The big news in Canada is that Prime Minister Trudeau has called for the hiring of a Special Counsel to investigate the shocking loss of the Canadian Women's Olympic Hockey Team to the USA in the Gold Medal game.

Joe praised Trump for sitting in a room & listening to kids. Goldberg shot down Joe. LOL!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

The big news in Canada is that Prime Minister Trudeau has called for the hiring of a Special Counsel to investigate the shocking loss of the Canadian Women's Olympic Hockey Team to the USA in the Gold Medal game.

He should stick to Doonesbury.

• Love 3

When Joe was on with Steele and Kasie (who is great) and the other guy, the other guy sat next to Joe while Joe was in full blown rant mode.  He kept his head down and wouldn't make eye contact with anyone and just fidgeted with a pen.  Mika kept her head down too and just made faces. 
Christ, they are belaboring the gun control talking points.  Joe has run out of things to talk about, so he's turned to praising Trump for sitting in a room.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

I woke up just in time to hear Joe whine about the ads the NRA has placed against him and how they talk smack about him and my first thought was "well clearly I didn't miss anything".  Blech.

I am enjoying Cokie Roberts and Jeffrey Goldberg.  Their facial reactions to Joe's comments are priceless as you can tell they could care less if they get asked back or not which is refreshing as others clearly have to pull their punches at times.

• Love 4

Know Your Value smackdown! I don't have any idea who Cokie Roberts is, does she have a background with either of them? Anyway, to the shade...

Mika: Cokie, please continue to condescend Joe, it's entertaining.

Joe: Why does my fiancee think you talking to me is condescending?

Mika: DON'T CALL ME YOUR FIANCEE, EWWWWW.

Cokie: I don't know Joe, maybe she thinks any woman saying she disagrees with you is condescending.

#KnowYourValue

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 6
Just now, Landsnark said:

Christ, they are belaboring the gun control talking points.  Joe has run out of things to talk about, so he's turned to praising Trump for sitting in a room.

I so agree with this and as many have stated, he is doing his job for heaven's sake.  There isn't a syllable that came out of his mouth that was an original thought or written down on his note cards.  I honestly don't care as it is clearly the best he is capable of doing but please stop with the praise. 

• Love 6

Forty minutes in and the best moment of the morning comes from Shannon Pettypiece.

She says trump didn't get the press coverage for visiting the kids in the hospital that they expected.

Let's have a listening session.  Invite kids, parents, lights, cameras! And give idiot in chief notes so he doesn't forget why he's there.

Betsy DeVos was sitting there with a deer in the headlights look and weird sick grin while kids and parents are crying.

Not one of these morons can even fake shed a tear.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Know Your Value smackdown! I don't have any idea who Cokie Roberts is, does she have a background with either of them? Anyway, to the shade...

Mika: Cokie, please continue to condescend Joe, it's entertaining.

Joe: Why does my fiancee think you talking to me is condescending?

Mika: DON'T CALL ME YOUR FIANCEE, EWWWWW.

Cokie: I don't know Joe, maybe she thinks any woman saying she disagrees with you is condescending.

#KnowYourValue

This is hilarious!

Cokie’s dad was a big shot in Democratic politics in Louisiana in the 1950’s

Cokie was a co panelist with Adam Donaldson & George Will on th Davis Brinkley show in the 1980s

• Love 4

Also, Cokie's dad was a congressman.  He was killed in a plane crash and her mom served out the rest of his term.

edited to add.  I had to google about her mom.  And it turns out she had a long term as a congresswoman.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5

Did Joe just really say to the folks from Time magazine about their opioid cover "Why this story?  Why now?"?   And they pay these two something like 6M a year between the two of them?  Boy NBC really knows to how attract quality talent, can't wait for Megyn Kelly to stroll in.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Get a shovel Joe! Stop the BS about McCain having the momentum against Obama.

Oh God Oakville this clip!!!  How fabulous is it, classic Olbermann thrown in with a little Mean Girl Matthews totally dumping on Joe's Gerald Rivera style reportage . . . HEE!

• Love 3

I was seriously waiting for Joe to say "Donald Trump became President yesterday". I guess he didn't watch the same thing I did. Trump was clueless, and I'm wondering Betsy DeVos was having a stroke right there in the Oval Office.  If that's the best this Administration can do, give Trump a card so he knows how to appear sympathetic. Bitch please.  I can't believe Joe was kissing Trump's ass for that shit show.  And for the love of God stfu about yourself you egomaniacal twit. 

No one gives a shit about where you grew up, or which of your "friends" (if you ever had any) went shooting with their grandfather when they were five. And I'm sorry, who takes a five year old, a FIVE YEAR OLD, out to shoot guns?  My sister teaches five year olds, she's trying to explain "intruder drills" to them.  

• Love 9

Get a shovel Joe! Stop the BS about McCain having the momentum against Obama.

Joe looks so much better in that clip with normal hair and no puffiness. This is about 5 gallons of hair product and 100 gallons of booze ago!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I was seriously waiting for Joe to say "Donald Trump became President yesterday". I guess he didn't watch the same thing I did. Trump was clueless, and I'm wondering Betsy DeVos was having a stroke right there in the Oval Office.  If that's the best this Administration can do, give Trump a card so he knows how to appear sympathetic. Bitch please.  I can't believe Joe was kissing Trump's ass for that shit show. 

Oh, I can, lol. I always had the gut feeling his anti-Trump was simply a mixture of reading the room and the personal attacks, and you know what they say, time heals all wounds. What felt more off to me was Mika agreeing, then defending Joe for that position, and then taking that position herself. I've never really considered her that left (despite her claims), but she hasn't always been as centrist as she's been on some recent hot issue topics.

So much of his conversation about the topic is just so off. Joe's constant "we have guns," "Mika and I took my kids to a shooting range," "the Brzezinski's had guns all over the place" talk is really so irrelevant to the issue, but maybe he feels he has to address it again (and again....and again) since he posted the photographic proof on his instagram at the time. I'm feeling generous so I won't harp on that annoyance (at least for now lol).

What I really can't get over is his continued need to compare abortion to gun control. I just.... I can't even form a coherent thought on it right now, that's how utterly asinine I consider this talking point he keeps belaboring on every platform within his reach.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I was impressed that the kids at times were the best moderators in terms of telling the crowd to settle down so the discussion could continue.  I had no idea just how bad Rubio was as a person until I read an article about him just the other day.  Reputable paper, sources on record detailing how many people he screwed over and how incredibly weak he is.  I wouldn't be surprised that this is his last term in congress, ever.

Joe hated Rubio in 2016. He mocked him for wearing boots to make himself look taller. Joe said that Rubio should not have run for President back then because he was inexperienced like Obama 2008.

Joe will never forgive Rubio for running for Florida Senate in 2010. Joe wanted to be acclaimed for the nomination & not have to campaign.

• Love 5

This is hilarious!

Cokie’s dad was a big shot in Democratic politics in Louisiana in the 1950’s

Cokie was a co panelist with Adam Donaldson & George Will on th Davis Brinkley show in the 1980s

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Also, Cokie's dad was a congressman.  He was killed in a plane crash and her mom served out the rest of his term.

edited to add.  I had to google about her mom.  And it turns out she had a long term as a congresswoman.

Thanks! I'll have to look her up later because that sounds really interesting. I quite enjoyed the pushback from her panel (and her snark lol).

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

So much of his conversation about the topic is just so off. Joe's constant "we have guns," "

My father had guns. We had shotguns in our hall closet. He hunted with his father.

He would be appalled at people owning assault weapons. I'm sure he would say, as others have "if you think you need an assault weapon to shoot a deer, you need a new hobby".

Joe can kiss my ass. He's so full of shit.  And he's showing his true colors. He's still that A+ rated asshole he was 20 years ago. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Sam Donaldson

Mika agreeing with Joe about Trump being a great leader, and Rubio going the extra mile was disorienting.  I was looking at the TV with my head cocked to the side like a dog.  I was trying to understand if there was some subtext I was missing.  There was.  The subtext is she's stupid.

• Love 10