Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

Can you spell it out for me, cause I extrapolated nothing?

In my own defense, my brain is addled from flu meds.

Poor DeLurker - why are you on here and not SLEEPING! Get some rest and drug your self up!

I will have to put this in spoiler tags. 

our (SH) last episode will be all flashbacks. Which leads me to believe that the entire season has all taken place in Purgatory and Abbie never left. Forshadowed by the opened scene of This is War, where Henry was messing with her and Crane.

However, my miserable cynical side says they could kill off Abbie, and have Ichabod reminscining over the good times with her...cause Goffman....

• Love 5

If your theory does come true, Halcyon Days, I want details on the Who, What, Why, and When, made it possible because something tells me this decision would have come from above.  EIther that or the book "Screenwriters for Dummies" worked miracles.

• Love 4

People magazine listed IchAbbie among 15 TV Couples Who Need to Ring in the New Year with a Kiss

ICHABOD & ABBIE, SLEEPY HOLLOW
A ring don't mean a thing! Ichabod's wife, Katrina, is a nice gal and all (even if she is the worst witch ever), but come on. Come on. Ichabod (Tom Mison) and Abbie (Nicole Beharie) are endgame.

I no longer ship them together but the highlighted line had me laughing like a hyena. Even People Magazine is throwing shade at Katrina, the struggling witch. LMAO!

• Love 4

People magazine listed IchAbbie among 15 TV Couples Who Need to Ring in the New Year with a Kiss

I no longer ship them together but the highlighted line had me laughing like a hyena. Even People Magazine is throwing shade at Katrina, the struggling witch. LMAO!

Wow - that's some epic-level shade. Goffman backed the wrong horse.

• Love 3

If your theory does come true, Halcyon Days, I want details on the Who, What, Why, and When, made it possible because something tells me this decision would have come from above.  EIther that or the book "Screenwriters for Dummies" worked miracles.

Ha. I wish I could remember specifics. It was when the Deliverance debacle happened, and all of a sudden we got that rush of articles of "What went wrong with SH", like that Huffington Post and LA Times and all of the other stuff.

One of the writers of one of those main articles (sorry, I don't remember who) mentioned in a podcast that he was contacted by some FOX exec, who said they were absolutely shocked over the sudden backlash. This writer in the podcast is saying he was so surprised himself to receive this call out of the blue, and surprised that FOX themselves were completely clueless over the backlash.

I remember it specifically because I was like, seriously FOX, just read facebook and twitter and forums and oh I don't know, the actual REVIEWS from these sites to get a clue. I think I even wrote something like I cannot believe they didn't get some student minion to cruise the internet and read this stuff for feedback purposes.

• Love 3

TV Guide has a new article How Sleepy Hollow Betrayed Fans, But Why you shouldn't quit. It's well meaning but I think the author misses the mark on several points she tries to make. It's not the first time I felt like someone writing an article about the show didn't actually watch the show but regurgitated points from elsewhere. There was a Hollywood Reporter article a while back that cited only Hawley as being the reason Season 2 is doing bad. It was clear the writer didn't watch the show and just picked up that complaint off of tumblr or twitter.

• Love 1

I agree the piece was a bit scatter-shot. It came across to me though that she had a bone to pick while trying to balance the article out by touching on other flaws, only it didn't exactly pan out. IIRC, one of the creators follows her on Twitter. I do think she watches the show but I could be wrong.

I think she did a great job of unapologetically calling out the white-washing and Hawley. She also got in some biting digs too: "Does Abbie ever long for the days before dealing with Ichabod's relatives became her top priority?" /"Why Sleepy Hollow decided to prioritize a white women who is constantly one step away from being tied to a railroad track over Abbie, Jenny and Irving, three of the most refreshing and inspiring characters of color — and just characters in general — on TV is honestly a question that likely has no justifiable answer." /"That's why it's been so frustrating to see interesting, complex characters of color be sidelined in favor of giving screen time to what might be the most stale, archetypal White Guy I have ever seen on a non-CBS show."

Ouch!

• Love 1

The article sounded like a greatest hits of previous complaints but they were correct ones.  Sleepy Hollow has become a very small world, focusing on about seven characters and not having any real recurring characters outside of it, the newly-created Hawley aside.  But complaining that this has been done to give more time to Crane and Abbie is ridiculous.  Those two haven't had ENOUGH time together this season.

Marginalizing Abbie, as well as Jenny and Irving, is an insane choice.  Abbie is just as popular with viewers and critics as Ichabod.  Her and Crane should be at the top without trying to shoehorn Katrina (the one element most viewers disliked last season) into things.

• Love 3

Unfortunately, Abbie/Nicole didn't get the same press as Ichabod/Tom in the first season.  Ichabod is obviously the flashier part and Tom is ridiculously charming, but Abbie is the anchor of the show.  I remember being frustrated that she wasn't featured as much as her partner.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, Abbie/Nicole didn't get the same press as Ichabod/Tom in the first season.  Ichabod is obviously the flashier part and Tom is ridiculously charming, but Abbie is the anchor of the show.  I remember being frustrated that she wasn't featured as much as her partner.

I think even Nicole thought she wasn't as popular as Tom - there was that event she went to and had to go to without Tom and she thought the fans would be upset... when in reality they were overjoyed.

I think the producers/showrunners may have thought that Abbie/NB wouldn't be popular?

Which is a shame.

• Love 1

TV Guide has a new article How Sleepy Hollow Betrayed Fans, But Why you shouldn't quit. It's well meaning but I think the author misses the mark on several points she tries to make. It's not the first time I felt like someone writing an article about the show didn't actually watch the show but regurgitated points from elsewhere. There was a Hollywood Reporter article a while back that cited only Hawley as being the reason Season 2 is doing bad. It was clear the writer didn't watch the show and just picked up that complaint off of tumblr or twitter.

Sadie Gennis is a clickbait writer. Her Supernatural articles were such clickbait (asking if "Wincest is dead," saying Sam was a "wounded baby bird," saying SPN "queerbaits" Dean/Cas) I stopped reading them. I do think a lot of what she says in this article is valid, but I think fans here and on tumblr have said it better. 

Edited by Pete Martell

I think even Nicole thought she wasn't as popular as Tom - there was that event she went to and had to go to without Tom and she thought the fans would be upset... when in reality they were overjoyed.

I think the producers/showrunners may have thought that Abbie/NB wouldn't be popular?

Which is a shame.

I can see why they might feel that way, as Mison is a white, British man, which is the most popular thing to be for many viewers, and Abbie was a WOC with a mind and voice of her own. A lot of media focus on the show's popularity did go to Mison and Ichabod. His not knowing about present-day life and pop culture was hilarious and so brilliant. Oh and PS Abbie is cute too...you know, when she's supporting Ichabod and his funny ways. And he looks so good with a sword. Hee hee.

But this wasn't just a genre show - many fans who were tired of this type of format and have seen enough funny-and-vulnerable-but-hunky interchangeable white guys to fill up an entire DVD cabinet responded to the show, and to Abbie. That the show didn't realize this is very unfortunate...or very telling. 

Sorry, I came across sounding like it was bad to watch for Mison or Ichabod. I don't believe that at all. People have their own taste. And I think many fans who love(d) Ichabod were also fans of Abbie, whether as platonic or more than platonic. That's where the problem is, because I think TPTB assumed that wasn't the case. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

Trollando's tags are killing me.  He also mentioned why was Frank buried in the raggedy clothes that he died in; they couldn't even put him in something from Men's Warehouse?  LMFAO!  I may have to start reading Tumblr again.

• Love 3

He also mentioned why was Frank buried in the raggedy clothes that he died in; they couldn't even put him in something from Men's Warehouse?

Geesh, was Frank even buried? If so, how is his back-from-Purgatory personage going to be explained?

Tom & Lorenzo are over this mess.

We’re calling it now: season 2 of Sleepy Hollow is a total bust, we’re sorry to say. The only thing that’s saving it from becoming a “season 2 of Heroes“-level disaster is the fact that it was never as popular as Heroes originally was. Our only hope was that the creators got whatever it is they needed to get out of their systems with that silly fall finale and we’d be getting back to what made this show great in the first place. But what did we get? Katrina in a sheer top, acting like an even bigger lying pain in the ass than she ever was, the Mopey Horseman, and more Crane marriage drama, as a Supernatural reject with a Frisbee gets treated like a threat – or even mildly interesting (SPOILER: He wasn’t either.).

As I look at the various reviews of the latest episode, I've noticed that most of the critics have lost their goodwill towards this show. The first half of the season had the media confused and hoping they could turn it around but now most of them seem to have given up and moved into hate watching.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 6

That's always the risk with gambling with your show premise - once you piss folks off in many cases, it's nigh impossible to get them back... because they no longer trust you AND now they are looking for BIG changes to prove that show runners "get it".

Goffman broke fandom's trust - hence why everyone is still being so hard on him.

I was just going to look for some reviews to see what they thought... that's one down. Thanks for posting it.

• Love 2

That's always the risk with gambling with your show premise - once you piss folks off in many cases, it's nigh impossible to get them back... because they no longer trust you AND now they are looking for BIG changes to prove that show runners "get it".

Goffman broke fandom's trust - hence why everyone is still being so hard on him.

I was just going to look for some reviews to see what they thought... that's one down. Thanks for posting it.

Well, if you're looking for reviews . . . there's a site I know about that just posted one . . .:D

I like Halcyon's suspicion that they might "do a Dallas" and make season 2 all a dream or something. That would be cheesy, but at this point, whatever works to get us back on track in season 3.

• Love 5

Well, if you're looking for reviews . . . there's a site I know about that just posted one . . .:D

I like Halcyon's suspicion that they might "do a Dallas" and make season 2 all a dream or something. That would be cheesy, but at this point, whatever works to get us back on track in season 3.

I would lap that up with a spoon - as long as it results in Katrina being "dreamed" out of existence. The character is now dead weight and honestly I think in order to win the trust of the audience back, the character needs to be sacrificed and let go.

And thanks - I'll go read the review at your site!

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

those Orlando Jones tags have me curious.  I wonder if he is just joking around in solidarity with fan concerns or if he is feeling some kind of way....

This is about where I am right now.  I am unable to relax back into SH because I feel like I am going to be disappointed.  So even if an episode is good, I can't just enjoy it because I am always waiting for it to mess up.

Edited by DearEvette

Etch-a-Sketch! haha and so dead on. It really does feel like it. That, or like they have a pile of note cards with vague plot lines written on them, and then just throw them up into the air and pick up a few to get the next episode.

As for the Scooby-gang, maybe one has to be stoned to really get it?? And I agree - there are little disconnected scenes that seem added on later, all because of the fan backlash. Maybe if they did right by the show in the first place, they wouldn't have to work overtime cobbling together these last minute scenes.

• Love 2

those Orlando Jones tags have me curious.  I wonder if he is just joking around in solidarity with fan concerns or if he is feeling some kind of way....

This is about where I am right now.  I am unable to relax back into SH because I feel like I am going to be disappointed.  So even if an episode is good, I can't just enjoy it because I am always waiting for it to mess up.

Responding in the "what went wrong" thread...

Should we have already known by now whether the show will get a 3rd season? When do they typically make the announcement?

I'm picking up from social media that a lot of people had no idea an new episode was on last night which confirms my suspicions that the promo was insufficient.

I'm picking up from social media that a lot of people had no idea an new episode was on last night which confirms my suspicions that the promo was insufficient.

I had zero idea it was back on.  I was watching something else on Netflix when I noticed my DVR was recording something but I couldn't figure out what it was (and was too lazy to pause what I was watching to find out).  I didn't realize until I saw the recap here that that's what had recorded.  I never saw one preview for it.

I'm wondering if they will drop Sleep Hollow if their new show Empire does really well.

Well Sleepy Hollow is the now the 3rd highest rated drama on Fox so It's still safe. Empire got a 3.8 and tied How to Get Away with Murder for the biggest series premiere this season.

• Love 3

Very interesting article in the Hollywood Reporter, on how the new management superstar duo at FOX this year are going to make serious attempts to bring the FOX network back to #1. Lots of slamming Kevin Reilly's vision of the network, but an interesting look at what they consider their "reboot plan"

Sleepy Hollow briefly mentioned as this: "Sleepy Hollow dropped considerably." We all know its due to CFD and Katrina centric stories and Goffman's vision.

I can see if the show gets a third season, it will go back down to the 13 episode format. The thing is, that article states that FOX wants big hits. Well, if SH continues its focus on CFD and Katrina, it will surely NOT be that hit that FOX wants. Also, I have heard rumours that the show will move production to Atlanta if a third season does happen. (hello Walking Dead) This is due to loss of financial filming incentives in Wilmington NC, due to political and politician idiocy, but I digress....

Looks like Goffman's vision just might be compromised (okay, this is me hoping). But I can see this. FOX gives SH one more chance to redeem itself (hee) and boost its ratings. A 1.5 demo is not enough at this point. SH can be renewed for one more year, while FOX develops its new shows, and once 2015 is done, SH will be cancelled if it doesn't return to big hit and big ratings status. The only way to do this is to have no more CFD/Katrina, ice Goofman and start anew.
Either that, or they will cut their losses and channel budget into another venue.

It's nice to think that "staying the course" and a 1.5 demo is enough, but it really is not. Money and reputation are at stake here. Especially if FOX is doing a major overhaul and retooling, they are going to be making some hard and serious decisions, and I totally think SH will be a casualty. What a shame. All sacrificed on the altar of Katrina.

• Love 4

Very interesting article in the Hollywood Reporter, on how the new management duo at FOX this year and going to make serious attempts to bring the FOX network back to #1. Lots of slamming Kevin Reilly's vision of the network, but an interesting look at what they consider their "reboot plan"

Sleepy Hollow briefly mentioned as this: "Sleepy Hollow dropped considerably." We all know its due to CFD and Katrina centric stories and Goffman's vision.

I can see if the shows gets a third season, it will go back down to the 13 episode format. The thing is, that article states that FOX wants big hits. Well, if SH continues its focus on CFD and Katrina, it will surely NOT be that hit that FOX wants. Also, I have heard rumours that the show will move production to Atlanta if a third season does happen. (hello Walking Dead) This is due to loss of financial filming incentives in Wilmington, due to political and politician idiocy, but I digress....

Looks like Goffman's vision just might be compromised (okay, this is me hoping). But I can see this. FOX gives SH one more chance to redeem itself (hee) and boost its ratings. A 1.5 demo is not enough at this point. SH can be renewed for one more year, while FOX develops its new shows, and once 2015 is done, SH will be cancelled if it doesn't return to big hit and big ratings status. The only way to do this is to have no more CFD/Katrina, ice Goofman and start anew.

Either that, or they will cut their losses and channel budget into another venue.

It's nice to think that "staying the course" and a 1.5 demo is enough, but it really is not. Money and reputation are at stake here. Especially if FOX is doing a major overhaul and retooling, they are going to be making some hard and serious decisions, and I totally think SH will be a casualty. What a shame. All sacrificed on the alter of Katrina.

I agree. My fingers are crossed that Empire's strong ratings (if they stay strong) also may cause the network execs to put even more pressure on Goffman to stop sidelining his actual leading lady in favor of a supporting cast member whom he perhaps incorrectly thought would be more appealing to a larger audience. She's not. Sorry, Goffman, you're the only one fascinated by that character. Most fans love the Ichabod-Abbie dynamic. 

On a related note - did you notice the preview of next week involves Ichabod and Katrina investigating something? This was filmed before the backlash, but they really were trying to shift the show's dynamic. Sad. But, it didn't work, so yay!

• Love 5

I was stoned. It didn't help.

*DEAD ON FLOOR*  marceline. I laughed!!!

I agree. My fingers are crossed that Empire's strong ratings (if they stay strong) also may cause the network execs to put even more pressure on Goffman to stop sidelining his actual leading lady in favor of a supporting cast member whom he perhaps incorrectly thought would be more appealing to a larger audience. She's not. Sorry, Goffman, you're the only one fascinated by that character. Most fans love the Ichabod-Abbie dynamic. 

On a related note - did you notice the preview of next week involves Ichabod and Katrina investigating something? This was filmed before the backlash, but they really were trying to shift the show's dynamic. Sad. But, it didn't work, so yay!

Yeah, I saw that they touted Empire as FOX's biggest premiere in years, which obviously beats Sleepy Hollow then. Hmm...very interesting. And I bet a nice wake up call to FOX. Now the show is under pressure to keep the ratings up.

Nah - didn't bother to watch the preview. It would just get me angry and ranting again. I just cannot stand Katrina at this point, though this weeks episode she was somewhat tolerable. Maybe because Crane was calling her out on her lies and manipulations. Next week looks more lovey dovey and once again showcasing the yoyo marriage of the Cranes. Just make a decision. I vote divorce. Instead you know they will reconcile. Again.

'Ello...My name is Ichabod Crane, otherwise know as Indecision Crane. *sigh*

ETA: forgot to add in my previous post. Cancellation Bear's predictions on which of Kevin Reilly's remaining shows are safe. Sleepy Hollow is considered safe (at this point), along with Gotham of course.

• Love 2

Very interesting article in the Hollywood Reporter, on how the new management superstar duo at FOX this year are going to make serious attempts to bring the FOX network back to #1. Lots of slamming Kevin Reilly's vision of the network, but an interesting look at what they consider their "reboot plan"

I can see if the show gets a third season, it will go back down to the 13 episode format. The thing is, that article states that FOX wants big hits. Well, if SH continues its focus on CFD and Katrina, it will surely NOT be that hit that FOX wants. Also, I have heard rumours that the show will move production to Atlanta if a third season does happen. (hello Walking Dead) This is due to loss of financial filming incentives in Wilmington NC, due to political and politician idiocy, but I digress....

It's nice to think that "staying the course" and a 1.5 demo is enough, but it really is not. Money and reputation are at stake here. Especially if FOX is doing a major overhaul and retooling, they are going to be making some hard and serious decisions, and I totally think SH will be a casualty. What a shame. All sacrificed on the altar of Katrina.

I know I keep saying it - but the only option this show has right now is to kill Katrina off.

This is because it's the ONLY headline big enough to lure back all of the fans who left. Empire being such a HUGE hit (24 levels of premiere success) proves that Goffman's vision (that - in his mind - requires an actress like KW to carry the show) is faulty. His prediction of what fans want to see is FAULTY. His decision to sideline the leading lady is FAULTY.

Thus - in order to secure enough of a stir in press releases, news articles, reviews, etc.. and prove to the audience that Goffman's vision - is KAPUT is to kill her off - and literally saturate the media with promotions about that.

The only chance Goffman has is to jettison the Katrina-centric vision he has by going on a media blitz to show her being killed off and showing that he is going back to what works on SH.

The problem here is that it's not enough to just go back to what works. There are only 3-4 million people watching, so you have to do a media/marketing blitz to lure back the 4-5 million fans who left.

I do wonder if the media we've seen so far about the Abbie-centric episodes at the end of the season is an attempt to assure fans that they are going back to the S1 formula - or if it's just bait.

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that link Halycon Days.  Very interesting reading.  I was hoping the comments that followed would discuss what this means for shows like SH; instead they were just distressing.

It’s always been said SH would most likely get a season three, it was a season four that was always in doubt.  As recently as last Monday, I read comments that since FOX owns SH, they most likely would keep the show around until it hits the magic 100 number for syndication.  However, Walden and Newman’s latest comments  shakes things up and makes them more intriguing.   SH was singled out - why?  Was it the author’s own doing or due to an off the record conversation?  SH does fit the model that Walden and Newman stated they want to discontinue.  It was originally based on the cable model (13 episodes) and while it’s recent 1.6 is good by FOX’s current standards, it certainly isn’t anywhere near “We’re the #1 Network” ratings.  Add the rumblings in social media and critics and you wonder what Walden and Newman are thinking about for the future of this show.

BTW - I've read claims that FOX has already stepped in, that episodes are being reshoot, moved around and writers fired.  However, since the only place this seems to be "confirmed" is various Internet forums, I take these rumors with a grain of salt.

• Love 1

Episode 2.14 - Kali Yuga - Extended Synopsis.

Sounds interesting, except for where they are breaking into. Seriously? Good luck with that one, Hawley. And no mention of a certain witch - thank god. Any chance at the end of the previous episode, they finally decide to divorce? Please? They will probably make some comment like she's shopping or something. And Irving...yes!!

This is also supposed to be the:

karaoke episode. Go figure, Katrina is gone, so the show throws some meaningless ship teasing about Ichabbie. Idiots.

• Love 1

Episode 2.14 - Kali Yuga - Extended Synopsis.

Sounds interesting, except for where they are breaking into. Seriously? Good luck with that one, Hawley. And no mention of a certain witch - thank god. Any chance at the end of the previous episode, they finally decide to divorce? Please? They will probably make some comment like she's shopping or something. And Irving...yes!!

This is also supposed to be the:

karaoke episode. Go figure, Katrina is gone, so the show throws some meaningless ship teasing about Ichabbie. Idiots.

Yes, what I was really pining for was a ... Hawley-centric episode. Thanks, guys. 

Yeah, I have got to say although I am not as upset with the show as many folks are I don't really need to see more Hawley or Hawley backstory or anything.  Keeping him as a secondary or tertiary character in the here and now is fine, I mean I don't hate him or anything, but that's about it for me.

• Love 2

I don't mind Hawley since he's always working with Abbie, Jennie and Ichabod and he doesn't bore me like Katrina. It seems like it will be a fun episode if Katrina isn't around to drag down the proceedings with CFD. That said, that episode sounds like a tangent. They haven't even soundly wrapped up inconsistencies and plot holes in the current story --why go introduce a completely new element that doesn't seem to tie into their already established plot arc?

• Love 4