Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

While Frank was largely MIA this last season, Orlando's tweets did the most for keeping me around through the trainwreck that is S2.

Like others, sad for me but happy that this seems to be a chance for a talented performer to be a central character.  Have no idea what the show will be about, but I look forward to finding out.

(edited)

Sad to see Orlando go as he was great at promoting SH and his comments about Sandra & Co are pure gold.  I also had the wish that SH would end with Frank Irving writing "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".  Still, what person in show business wouldn't jump at the opportunity Orlando's been given?  For me, Frank Irving worked better when he was the skeptical voice of reason anyway, perhaps Reyes will now provide that role.  I am grateful it became known immediately this was step-up career wise for Orlando as some people were already getting worked up, stating Campbell & Co must have ousted him. That rumor is the last thing SH needs going into Season 3.  I'm starting to believe the greatest gift - outside of actually watching -  we can give SH/S3 is for some of us to chill at times. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5

I'm starting to think my greatest wish for SH/S3 is for some of us to chill at times. 

Just a matter of keeping perspective.  Just ask yourself "Could it be worse than S2?". 

I really don't think it is possible.  And if anyone was paying attention, they would get a handle on social media from the start.  Contrast Orlando Jones exceptional use of it with Goffman & Company complete ineptitude (cause calling your audience "haters" when you failed to deliver your vision is just so déclassé).

Plus, I watched some of The Glades which the new showrunner was involved in and quite like the first season.  Season 2 ran afoul so I stopped, but rumor has it that it got back on track. 

At this point, I'll be optimistic about the next season of SH and about Orlando's new project.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just a matter of keeping perspective.  Just ask yourself "Could it be worse than S2?". 

I really don't think it is possible.  And if anyone was paying attention, they would get a handle on social media from the start.  Contrast Orlando Jones exceptional use of it with Goffman & Company complete ineptitude (cause calling your audience "haters" when you failed to deliver your vision is just so déclassé).

Plus, I watched some of The Glades which the new showrunner was involved in and quite like the first season.  Season 2 ran afoul so I stopped, but rumor has it that it got back on track. 

At this point, I'll be optimistic about the next season of SH and about Orlando's new project.

LOL, no I don't think S3 could get worse as S2. 

I never watched "The Glades" so I have no idea of the quality of the show season to season.  What I do know is Clifton Campbell and his writers still inspire loyalty from the show's fans years after cancellation.  I think some of the SH fandom need to put the Goffman years out of their mind and give Campbell a chance.  The man appears to be a totally different type of showrunner and immediately getting worked up and posting* he's getting rid of previous cast members won't do him or the show any favors.  

*the worked up postings I read elsewhere, not on these forums.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4

LOL, no I don't think S3 could get worse as S2. 

I never watched "The Glades" so I have no idea of the quality of the show season to season.  What I do know is Clifton Campbell and his writers still inspire loyalty from the show's fans years after cancellation.  I think some of the SH fandom need to put the Goffman years out of their mind and give Campbell a chance.  The man appears to be a totally different type of showrunner and immediately getting worked up and posting* he's getting rid of previous cast members won't do him or the show any favors.  

*the worked up postings I read elsewhere, not on these forums.

I've  read (most likely) the same posts, MissAlmond, and yeah, the immediate reaction was "He was fired!" and "Campbell got rid of him!" and "He's being punished for his support of us" yadda yadda.

Again, like with the rest of the mess going on behind the scenes, we really don't know. But to me, something like this needs to be in the woodwork for some time to set up, etc. And with the mess of season 2, Orlando probably had more incentive to get his company going and to move on. I think the decision to "revive" Frank Irving was a last minute one, so for all he knew, he was to be actually killed off anyway. Still makes me sad, but he's working on this, is doing stand up comedy still and working on filming a documentary. Dude's busy.

• Love 4

And with the mess of season 2, Orlando probably had more incentive to get his company going and to move on. I think the decision to "revive" Frank Irving was a last minute one, so for all he knew, he was to be actually killed off anyway. Still makes me sad, but he's working on this, is doing stand up comedy still and working on filming a documentary. Dude's busy.

ITA.  I hadn't thought about it, but I think FOX, or whoever were Goffman's PTB, insisted Frank be brought back to salvage what they could of S2.  Orlando was white hot (not to be racist y'all) despite the stank of SH S2 and would have been harnassing that energy to find a better fit for himself.  I doubt if new shows suddenly pop up out over nowhere, so I'm guessing that those talks & negotiations have been going on for some time.

• Love 3

The screams were deafening. And didn't stop for hours.

No, see it'd be great:

"Forsooth, what I shall require from each and every one of you doth be a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Go thou to it."

• Love 1

Not surprised at all Orlando's leaving. His character was butchered beyond repair. Irving was effectively removed from his police chief position and turned into an outlaw fugitive. Even with Irving's redemption what role would his character no play besides 3rd wheel to Ichabbie?

• Love 1

Not surprised at all Orlando's leaving. His character was butchered beyond repair. Irving was effectively removed from his police chief position and turned into an outlaw fugitive. Even with Irving's redemption what role would his character no play besides 3rd wheel to Ichabbie?

Well, they could reinstate him as police chief, since he was cleared of all charges. And Reyes could go back to her former job.

What I find interesting is that Orlando has yet to write more to the Sleepy fans about this, than simply a link. He's been very vocal and directly interactive with the fans. I expect a goodbye or something but nothing yet. Hmm....

I realized this morning that six (SIX) members of the cast are now gone. Orlando Jones, KW, John Noble, Matt Barr, Neil Jackson (assuming since we could only see him with necklace/flashbacks and he is on another show now), John Cho.

The only ones left? Beharie, Greenwood (assuming), Mison and Sakina Jaffery (assuming). So new characters will be introduced I think. It will be a very different show though. What, with Atlanta, Orlando gone and new show runner.

Well, they could reinstate him as police chief, since he was cleared of all charges. And Reyes could go back to her former job.

I'm all over Sakina Jaffery getting work, but her character put Irving in a mental institution and blackmailed him with the threat of unnecessary (and not consented to) medical treatments which would have left him with permanent brain damage. She shouldn't have a badge. She should be in prison. 

• Love 1

..... her character put Irving in a mental institution and blackmailed him with the threat of unnecessary (and not consented to) medical treatments which would have left him with permanent brain damage. She shouldn't have a badge. She should be in prison.

As much as I want a few familiar faces filling out the cast, Reyes is not one I need to see again. They will have to do some thorough ret-conning to make her palatable to me and even then she's still going to have a bit of stink clinging to her after her treatment of Irving. She wasn't really given much of a character anyway, just someone to show up and fill in plot-points as not-Irving. I do hope we see some announcements about who is going to be in the cast beyond the core of Mison, Beharie and likely Greenwood as well. I'm hoping Orion has a recurring role and possibly an important arc.

• Love 2
(edited)

As much as I want a few familiar faces filling out the cast, Reyes is not one I need to see again. They will have to do some thorough ret-conning to make her palatable to me and even then she's still going to have a bit of stink clinging to her after her treatment of Irving. She wasn't really given much of a character anyway, just someone to show up and fill in plot-points as not-Irving. I do hope we see some announcements about who is going to be in the cast beyond the core of Mison, Beharie and likely Greenwood as well. I'm hoping Orion has a recurring role and possibly an important arc.

It’d be nice if they brought back Joe Corbin and bumped up a few others to recurring to world build.  Big Ash, Kindred, etc.  Or maybe Daddy Mills could finally be introduced.

Edited by FierceAfroChick
  • Love 5
(edited)

Oh yes. Orion please. A dark angel, friend/foe would be an asset to Team Witness (and besides, he's cute)

Going now to live on WeatherUnderground as hurricane season is imminent and I live in Florida............

Edited by DJG1122
  • Love 1

Neither Matt Barr nor Neil Jackson are certain to to return, are they?  (Not that I want either to return -- yuck!)

New showrunner, new cast, new location  -- this is about a big a reset as we could hope for after the Season of the StruggleWitch (who didn't pick up any stitches!)

(edited)

'm guessing they'll try to insert the new reporter guy into Orlando's spot,

Ack. I totally missed this news about Orlando. Booooo. Boo. But, it definitely seems to have been his choice to leave, and that he's moving on to something bigger and better for his career, and he's a huge fanboy, I doubt he'll disappear from Sleepyhead fandom, he just won't be as prominent. 

I definitely like Sharif Atkins, and want him to stick around, in a recurring way and as potential love interest for Abbie. Having said that, please no one kill me, but I'd take Matt Barr back as the fourth Team Witness, I actually always loved Hawley's character, I thought he was fun and had great chemistry with all three of our faves, he was just a fifth wheel and the optics of sidelining one of our black heroes for a white one was gross, but this would not feel the same. I think Barr's already on another show but that's who I'd prefer because you really can't put to high a price on cast chemistry. To be honest though I think they work as a power of three just as well as four, so I'd be fine with not full time replacement of Frank.

ETA: OH and I could not stand the guy who played Corbin's kid, the character has value, but I'd recast him, he was that blah and also not cute. #sorrynotsorry.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 5

I like Hawley, too, blixie.  The problem wasn't with his character, IMO, it was with the sacrifice of the core characters, Ichabod and Abbie (especially Abbie) in order to concentrate on characters we didn't really know and/or didn't really like.  I enjoyed Hawley and think he could fit in as a secondary character along with Jenny.  To me, the show I was promised is about the two Witnesses fighting evil, and I'm open to anyone who will help them in that fight as long as the focus remains on Ichabod and Abbie.

• Love 3

Neither Matt Barr nor Neil Jackson are certain to to return, are they?

I thought both Barr and Jackson had moved on to other projects.  I could be wrong.  I do recall reading that John Cho was a very busy guy so I don't see him becoming a regular although I would like both Cho and Orlando to pop up every now and then (schedules permitting).

As much as I want a few familiar faces filling out the cast, Reyes is not one I need to see again. They will have to do some thorough ret-conning to make her palatable to me and even then she's still going to have a bit of stink clinging to her after her treatment of Irving.

Reyes doesn’t have to be on the side of “good”.  I always held the opinion John Noble would have been better served as the secretly Team Moloch Mayor of Sleepy Hollow.  After all, one would think Evil would be smart enough to make sure they had some of their people in high places.

I do hope the writers use this opportunity to broaden the town (yes, I hear you : "We all know that Miss Almond" LOL). Orlando’s departure shows once again the folly of narrowly focusing the fight of Good against Evil to only a handful of characters.

• Love 1

I do hope the writers use this opportunity to broaden the town

Definitely that's why I'd  prefer to see a constellation of recurring characters (Calvin, Hawley (or someone just like him), Orion) than a one to one replacement of Frank Irving.

• Love 2

The problem with Hawley is that he was contaminated by Season 2. I'm afraid that his character would make folks worry about the direction of the "new" show. I think it is important that the first few episodes are clean and clear on the new direction and feel. They really cannot afford missteps at least early on. It has been too long and too turbulent a year.

• Love 4

While I am waiting for news of all of my other shows to be cancelled *sob* (Agent Carter, Forever, Constantine officially), an interesting prediction by TVLine.

They think that FOX will pair up the X-Files revival with Sleepy Hollow in the fall. Interesting!! My two favourite alien investigators with my two favourite Apocalypse fighters. Hell, I've referred to Ichabbie as the modern day M&S, so it makes sense (to me). The only problem is that the revival for X-Files is 6 episodes long, and SH will be 18 episodes long. So what goes in it's place? Gotham? It was paired up like that this season.

I know we've had rumours of a pairing with Empire so...

• Love 3

The problem with Hawley is that he was contaminated by Season 2. I'm afraid that his character would make folks worry about the direction of the "new" show. I think it is important that the first few episodes are clean and clear on the new direction and feel. They really cannot afford missteps at least early on. It has been too long and too turbulent a year.

I disagree.  No one can predict how viewers will react, of course, but I think if the writing is there, that will automatically "uncontaminate" Hawley.  I certainly don't believe that he was as disliked as Katrina and I think viewers will give him a chance if he's reintroduced in a way that makes it clear the show is still centered on Ichabod and Abbie. 

Maybe that's an advantage of their having driven so many people away over the course of this season. Almost all the people who watch next season (if people watch next season) probably won't have seen much of season 2.

What I find interesting is that Orlando has yet to write more to the Sleepy fans about this, than simply a link. He's been very vocal and directly interactive with the fans. I expect a goodbye or something but nothing yet. Hmm....

I realized this morning that six (SIX) members of the cast are now gone. Orlando Jones, KW, John Noble, Matt Barr, Neil Jackson (assuming since we could only see him with necklace/flashbacks and he is on another show now), John Cho.

The only ones left? Beharie, Greenwood (assuming), Mison and Sakina Jaffery (assuming). So new characters will be introduced I think. It will be a very different show though. What, with Atlanta, Orlando gone and new show runner.

I haven't read the whole thread, but do we have an official cast list yet?  We now know about Orlando and can make inferences about Barr, Jackson and Cho, but is it actually confirmed that Winter and Noble are not coming back?

...but is it actually confirmed that Winter and Noble are not coming back?

Not yet, but according to Tom Mison at a recent Comic Con, he was asked about the deaths. He answered that he was concerned that the deaths were people who were really "not dead", therefore the death itself lost it's impact (he's right), but then said that Henry and Katrina are really dead.

Thank god. Otherwise bringing them back - her especially - would be a very very bad thing, even in flashbacks. Season 2 was that bad.

• Love 2

Thank god. Otherwise bringing them back - her especially - would be a very very bad thing, even in flashbacks. Season 2 was that bad.

I'm increasingly grateful for my decision to cut down on my hatewatching. I missed pretty much the whole thing before someone (who I'm grateful to) spoiled the finale Do you suppose I would be hampered going forward if I just left it gone and never watched it? Did anything happen that I would need to know about?

I'm increasingly grateful for my decision to cut down on my hatewatching. I missed pretty much the whole thing before someone (who I'm grateful to) spoiled the finale Do you suppose I would be hampered going forward if I just left it gone and never watched it? Did anything happen that I would need to know about?

Watch the final four episodes. ESPECIALLY the last two. Yeah they contain some wife, but this is where the rapid change in the show occurred, major things happened, storylines finished and episode 18 - IMO - is one of the best of the series. The rest is a mostly a waste of time, though there are a few decent ones throughout, but don't really have a connection to the final four (simply because the network stepped in and changed things).

Watch the final four and if you really don't want to waste the time, watch the final two. Then you will be good to go for season 3 *grin*

• Love 1

...according to Tom Mison at a recent Comic Con, he was asked about the deaths. He answered that he was concerned that the deaths were people who were really "not dead", therefore the death itself lost it's impact (he's right), but then said that Henry and Katrina are really dead.

Yes.  I was soo thrilled when he said that.  Out loud!  And I love that he said the 'Ready, Captain?' line was not in the script but something Nicole Beharie came up with.

• Love 4

I know we've had rumours of a pairing with Empire so...

I will be shocked if they pair SH with Empire. I think they're going to use Empire to try and launch a new drama, which is what they should do. Fox has 3 other pilots with supernatural/sci-fi elements: Frankenstein, Lucifer, Minority Report. All 3 are likely to get picked up to series. SH will most likely be paired with one of them. 

• Love 3

It does seem like an odd pairing. With the exception of the lead actress being a WOC who was treated shabbily by a showrunner, I don't think they have a great deal in common.

• Love 1

I would LOVE if the X-files is paired with SH, but I feel like the timelines wouldn't match up, SH should be a fall show, and then my guess is the X Files short series will be in the Winter/Spring. What I'd really love is to see Nikki and Tom IN one of those episodes or even to be one of Mulder and Scully's cases overlap with them, but I guess that is the realm of fanfic. 

• Love 3

What I'd really love is to see Nikki and Tom IN one of those episodes or even to be one of Mulder and Scully's cases overlap with them, but I guess that is the realm of fanfic. 

Oh, god, that's brilliant. Because Mulder and Scully would get their usual frustrating lack of resolution, but just for once we'd know exactly what was going on. I vote for this.

• Love 3

I will be shocked if they pair SH with Empire. I think they're going to use Empire to try and launch a new drama, which is what they should do. Fox has 3 other pilots with supernatural/sci-fi elements: Frankenstein, Lucifer, Minority Report. All 3 are likely to get picked up to series. SH will most likely be paired with one of them. 

Someone in the know (knows people who know a bit more of the background stuff) mentioned earlier (before season end) that Empire+SH was a possibility - something they were considering. However, with the ratings juggernaut that Empire is, I agree with you - they will pair it with something that fits more, something that has lots of possibility, and needs the pairing to show people the way (i.e. expose them to the show).

SH + Gotham is my prediction (like last year). SH did well on Monday's considering Monday NIght Football, and a bunch of other stuff on that day. However, I could really see a SH + X-Files pairing for a bit.

X-Files starts the writing sometime in the summer, so you are most likely correct, that X-Files will be a spring thing. We'll have to see.

• Love 1

I disagree.  No one can predict how viewers will react, of course, but I think if the writing is there, that will automatically "uncontaminate" Hawley.  I certainly don't believe that he was as disliked as Katrina and I think viewers will give him a chance if he's reintroduced in a way that makes it clear the show is still centered on Ichabod and Abbie.

I don't agree. I think they could introduce him later - but not at first. We'd already be reeling from Irving being gone, adding in Hawley immediately would just scare off the many fans who left during S2. Yes, Hawley got some blame that maybe wasn't all his fault, but the problem with Hawley is that he was literally brought in to bounce off of Ichabod - and at some times the show focused on their chemistry rather than Ichabbie. Bringing him back too soon would be problematic if they continued that Hans Solo/Luke Skywalker thing... especially if it sidelined Jenny - again.

So have to disagree with you - Hawley shouldn't come back in the beginning. Maybe he could come back later on, but not at the beginning.

• Love 1
(edited)

I say no to Hawley in any form. He served no purpose the first time around, so what purpose would he serve the second time around. If anything, many will side-eye his return as being connected to Orlando's departure and he will become the focus of negative attention just like during his first run.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

I say n to Hawley in any form. He served no purpose the first time around, so what purpose would he serve the second time around. If anything, many will side-eye his return as being connected to Orlando's departure and he will become the focus of apnegative attention just like during his first run.

Good point.

(edited)

This should probably be in the unpoplular opinions thread... but I don't hate the idea of a Hawley revisit.  His character deployment was majorly fucked up.  He usurped Jenny & he was placed as yet another impediment to fans to get shippers off the  Ichabbie tip.  Even worse, he was placed as possble a romantic rivalry between the sisters.    Which was utterly, utterly stupid. 

But when they took that all off the table and made him a partner to Jenny (in The Wendingo & Kali Yuga) he was good.  As a matter of fact, he was a nice foil to Ichabod with whom he shared really good actorly chemsitry (the scenes in the church and the scenes with the Native American bikers come to mind).  Truthfully, Matt Barr had good actor chemistry with Nicole, Lyndie and Tom.  You can't say the same for Katia.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 10

I assume that someone let Halcyon know that Agent Carter has been renewed! Yay! My regards on Constantine though although there may still be hope if it gets picked up. I just came to check in on you guys after hearing about Trollando but you seem to be dealing with things well.

• Love 1

Yeah, I saw that Agent Carter was renewed! Yes! Constantine and Forever were...not *CRIES*

Oh wow, Thursday 9:00 - 10:00 pm.  Fox Fall Schedule

They put minority report after Gotham?? That's weird. This isnt a bad thing, IMO. Gotham is not doing so good either - raitngs are comparable about 4.5 million viewers - so it cannot be a decent lead-in. There are a ton of shows on Monday that SH had to compete with.

The only thing that SH had to/will have to compete with is NFL Football, which airs on both of those days.

It should be okay. However, honestly, if the show can't 'fix' itself and stay stable in ratings or improve slightly, it will only have it's third season and be cancelled.

Still, I'm okay with it.

• Love 2
(edited)

I watch both Sleepy Hollow and Scandall.  if I had to choose which gets my live watch it would be Sleepy Hollow hands down.  Some days I don't get to Scandal til, like, Saturday.  Not that my watch pattern  matters, I am not a Nielsen family.

I can only think that Fox has some sweet spot rating share in it's head that it needs SH to maintain.  Realistically they must know that it is not going to get astronomical numbers against Scandal & Blacklist, but if they can maintain that sweet spot, Fox will be happy.  And if the new showrunner can deliver some good content then I think viewers and fans will be happy. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 2

This should probably be in the unpoplular opinions thread... but I don't hate the idea of a Hawley revisit.  His character deployment was majorly fucked up.  He usurped Jenny & he was placed as yet another impediment to fans to get shippers off the  Ichabbie tip.  Even worse, he was placed as possble a romantic rivalry between the sisters.    Which was utterly, utterly stupid. 

But when they took that all off the table and made him a partner to Jenny (in The Wendingo & Kali Yuga) he was good.  As a matter of fact, he was a nice foil to Ichabod with whom he shared really good actorly chemsitry (the scenes in the church and the scenes with the Native American bikers come to mind).  Truthfully, Matt Barr had good actor chemistry with Nicole, Lyndie and Tom.  You can't say the same for Katia.

Word to all this.  If Hawley had been introduced into the show like he was in Kali Yuga, (as a potential supporting character and friend to the Witnesses, not the lead in Jenny's story) then I think the audience would have been OK if he returned.  I wouldn't mind him returning as long as it was under those circumstances.  But I know a lot of the audience soured on him because he made such a poor first impression. 

Why they're putting SH against Scandal is beyond me.  I've heard that Scandal is nowhere near as good as it used to be, but it still pulls in great ratings.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yikes!  Thursday Nights, at 9 p.m.?  Not only will it contend with Scandal, it also has to deal with The Blacklist, which isn't what I would call great in the slightest, but still brings in the ratings (mainly thanks to James Spader, I suspect.)  I guess I should be glad that it even got a third season, but I don't envy Sleepy Hollow having to deal with this new time-slot.

Edited by thuganomics85

How many of us watch live compared to DVRing and watching later. Personally, SH is the ONLY show I have ever made an effort to watch live - season 1 especially. Every other show, since I hate commercials, I would DVR it, and if I had time to watch, I would start about 20 minutes into it.

Anyway...on Monday's, SH was going against Monday Night Football (which I watch), Scorpion, The Voice and The Bachelor - all ratings juggernauts. Also, Forever was in the same time slot for me as SH (Canadians got the broadcast Mondays), so that was something else that competed. On Thurs Feb 24th (SH season finale), the Voice got 14 million viewers, Scorpion about 10 mil, the Bachelor 9 mil. Those are big numbers. Also, Monday Night Football usually has really good games scheduled and gets huge ratings (I know, I tape and watch also).

Thursdays, from looking at what was scheduled early December 2014, it would be in the same time slot as Reign, Two and a Half Men (which will end), Bad Judge. Major potential competing shows, scheduled  for Thursdays between 9-10 pm, in February 2015 are The Blacklist, Scandal, Reign and Two and a Half Men (like I said, is over now). Blacklist got around 7 mil viewers, Scandal 8 million, Two and a Half Men 13 million. There is also Thursday Night Football, but the games are usually not the best team matchups.

So the fact that SH was able to pull decent numbers, even against the Voice and Bachelor and Scorpion sucking up viewers is pretty good - especially after the mess of season 2.

So Two Men is over, and CBS's replacement may suck. Other than that, there is lots of potential of SH to pick up major viewership. Honestly, this could be a very very good thing. Lots of potential to pick up viewers, so I can totally see why FOX made the change. Any other day would not be good. Thursday is a good TV day.

And you know what? Monday's were a major TV watching day for me (Gotham, Forever, SH, Football). Now it will be SH, Elementary, How to Get Away with Murder and Big Bang Theory and if the Football game is good. Awesome awesome TV day, IMO. SH may also be able to pick up viewers, who will watch something before switching over to Elementary and HTGAWM, so this is really good in my view.

Just my long winded analysis. Hopefully I am right.

• Love 3