Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs

• Start Topic

Dog murder isn't funny. Most of the time, anyway. Poor Dennis Jr. He was doomed the moment Dennis Sr. got him for Mac.

And, as usual, Dee loses. She shouldn't have taken that side action from Frank, but it's hard not to feel bad for her.

• Love 1

This ep seemed to be missing a payoff. I thought the noisy pool pump(?) and the chirping alarm meant they were slowly going insane from carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, why couldn't they move back to town and make Frank pay for the rent at the end?

• Love 2

Finally an episode that totally cracked me up. This show leads me into topics that I wouldn't think would be funny, but twenty minutes later I'm laughing at them eating a dog.

I've liked all episodes that involve Dennis having a mental breakdown.

• Love 1

I just woke up in the middle of this after years of not watching the show. Are Dennis and Mac a couple now?

I don't think so.  Their apartment was burned down in the ninth season finale ("The Gang Squashes Their Beefs"), got renovated in the tenth season finale ("Ass Kickers United: Mac And Charlie Join A Cult"), then got burned down again. They've been squatting at Dee's place, and she cannot stand them.

I think at this point, they treat Dee worse then Charlie.  It's kind of funny for horrible people, the gang honors all its bets.  They could have easily said, no way in hell we are going to sleep with an old man.

I have fanwanked the dog was not murdered.  I think he ran off and a much better set of guys took him in.  Matt just got up hot dog meat and said it was the dog to get back at Dennis for eating Applebees. 

It was so cute when Matt got the dog and was playing with it. I never remembered Matt being this lazy before.  He seemed to do nothing all day after failing to put up the television.  I like how when the cleaned up, the artfully put picture frames over all the holes he made in the wall.

All the guys on this show are really good looking, except for Frank.  I love Danny Devito, though.

• Love 1

I just woke up in the middle of this after years of not watching the show. Are Dennis and Mac a couple now?

I think it's no secret by now that Mac would certainly like them to be...

The increasing amounts of trash being stored in the house with air fresheners all over was a great unacknowledged background gag - that neither Mac nor Dennis could figure out, apparently, the concept of "trash day".

They kept having a nudity warning in the lead-in bumper, so I was wondering where that was going.   Not sure I expected it to be Dennis - but that was a great scene.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1

Kudos to the actor for not taking steroids or working out like a maniac before that scene.  Also, on not using a butt double.  It really felt like his body, which is not bad, by the way.

I have fanwanked the dog was not murdered.  I think he ran off and a much better set of guys took him in.  Matt just got up hot dog meat and said it was the dog to get back at Dennis for eating Applebees. 

It was so cute when Matt got the dog and was playing with it. I never remembered Matt being this lazy before.  He seemed to do nothing all day after failing to put up the television.  I like how when the cleaned up, the artfully put picture frames over all the holes he made in the wall.

I thought the puppy had died from neglect or whatever poisonous gas that chirping alarm had detected, which is why Mac was zoned out all day at home and put Dennis Jr in his "famous mac and cheese" and served it to Dennis.

I have alarms that drive me CRAZY and chirp like that all the time, can't stand it, whoever invented those and made it so hard to find them and fix them/change the battery I would like to kill, so that was my favorite part.

A nice change of pace episode. Though I didn't understand at the end, didn't they still win the bet?

And I love the episodes exploring Dennis and Mac's extra close "relationship"

No, the joke about the chirping alarm was that all they needed to do was just change the battery. That's a standard thing. 

As much as I abhorred the dog dying, I get the joke. They couldn't even buy dog food?

The joke is that they're totally non functional as members of society.

• Love 1

A nice change of pace episode. Though I didn't understand at the end, didn't they still win the bet?

They quit with a few seconds left, thinking they'd have to stay there after the bet ended, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
  • Love 1

No, I think they would have had to stay. The check Frank was offering was for a year's rent on that house. So if they left, they lost. ETA: Ohhhhhh. You're right: it is ridiculous that they honor all their bets. 

Edited by Lorna Mae

No, the could have taken the check and torn it up.  Then they would not have to sleep with an old man...the bet would be over as long as they let the time run out.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

No, the joke about the chirping alarm was that all they needed to do was just change the battery. That's a standard thing. 

As much as I abhorred the dog dying, I get the joke. They couldn't even buy dog food?

The joke is that they're totally non functional as members of society.

I know all you have to do with the chirping alarm is change the battery, but that is easier said than done in our house. Can never figure out which alarm it is for one thing. We have like five of them, can't tell which one is chirping. They go off at odd hours at night. The dogs hate them. I hate those alarms.

On 2/7/2016 at 7:47 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have alarms that drive me CRAZY and chirp like that all the time, can't stand it, whoever invented those and made it so hard to find them and fix them/change the battery I would like to kill, so that was my favorite part.

Total aside, but I recently watched the show "White Rabbit Project" on Netflix, which is a spinoff of "Mythbusters" starring Grant, Tory, and Kari.  In one episode on modern nuisances called "Tech We Love To Hate", they talk about those ubiquitous chirping/beeping noises and it's apparently because when we first started making electronic devices, the simplest- i.e., cheapest- mechanism of a piezoelectric sound makes for a perfect sine wave: a "beep".  They went on to point out that since we have become (usually) so good at tuning these out, and they are so hard to tell where they are coming from, some uses such as the "truck backing up" sound is being replaced by more sophisticated ones that make white noise.  It's both less grating, and much easier to pinpoint, as they demonstrate with a blindfolded test.

On 2/8/2016 at 11:37 AM, Ubiquitous said:
On 2/7/2016 at 7:47 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

They quit with a few seconds left, thinking they'd have to stay there after the bet ended, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

On 2/9/2016 at 10:51 AM, qtpye said:

No, the could have taken the check and torn it up.  Then they would not have to sleep with an old man...the bet would be over as long as they let the time run out.

Yeah, the ending didn't make any sense, which is odd because usually the writing is usually a bit tighter.  We clearly saw the rest of the gang saying "3... 2... 1..." and then cut.  They literally couldn't have left the door in time to lose the bet, and even if they did they technically stayed there the whole month at that point, since standing on your porch isn't "leaving".  At worst, they either tear up the check having won the bet, or they sublet the place and use that cash to pad their rent on a place in city.  But since this show is nothing if not a meta-joke about sitcom cliches, they kind of had to have it all fall apart somehow.

On 2/10/2016 at 5:07 AM, Save Yourself said:

Was this episode based on a movie? The Mac and Dennis storyline reminded me of a thriller I've seen but I can't remember what it was! The theatrical music and the way it was shot was cinema-esque.

It was kind of "Brewster's Millions" meets "The Burbs", although with Dennis and Mac as the crazy neighbors in the cul de sac; the overall plot is so common in movies/TV of the suburban hidden suffering with the burned out "husband" and nagging but isolated "wife".

However, there's another movie that I think is a more intentional reference.  The increasingly aggressive fighting between the unhappily married couple- including the wife serving up the beloved pet- surely is at least partly a riff on the movie "War of the Roses", directed by and starring... Danny DeVito:

While the kids are away at college, Oliver eventually calms down and attempts to make peace with Barbara over an elegant dinner, but reaches his breaking point when Barbara serves him a pâté which she implies was made from his dog (the dog is later seen to actually be alive and well outside)

That last parenthetical has me joining @qtpye in stubbornly believing the dog simply ran away and is now happily chasing bunny rabbits on a farm in upstate New York. :)

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 4