Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Michele Fitzgerald

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

That's awesome.  I got to pet a leopard once (at a preserve in South Africa, after he'd gotten accustomed to being around humans -- his purr felt like putting my hand on a lawn mower engine), but that leopard was sort of half dozing. If he had been 5 times larger and staring me in the eyes, I would have been wigged way out.

• Love 1

Nope it is not just you. Last episode solidified her as my winner pick this season. The fact they devoted so much time to her on a tribe that never went to tribal council was quite telling.  They are definitely setting her up for the end game and I expect this to continue next episode.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2

I agree. After the first episode I thought the winner would be either Julia or Michele and after the latest ep Michele has become my #1 pick.

I like her a lot. I'm trying to forget the pic of her hanging out with Scot/Jason.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

I like what she said in this last episode but the way she said it (as in, her accent and intonation) really bothered me.  Then I looked at her Survivor bio and realized why: her current residence is listed as in NJ, literally 20 minutes away from where I grew up.  Haha.  Guess it hit a little close to home ...

(I still live in New Jersey and love Jersey girls by the way, being one myself.  But I guess the accent doesn't come off so great to me on TV.)

This animal thing.  Can't we just say YMMV and be done with it?  There are countries all over the world, including in North America, where animals are used for strange ends be it food, entertainment, to ride for shows, contests, sports, hunting, pets, in movies, in television, zoos, circuses, aquariums, sea shows, etc.  There is such a range of behaviour and it really honestly seems like every human being has a different opinion on every single one of them.  I think that it's really easy to say, Oooh, Bad Asia!  but people do fucked up things to animals everywhere you go.  Also, it has nothing to do with the show.

Anyway I thought that last episode was (finally) a good episode for Michele.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I don't know what the situation was where Michele was with that tiger.  But in my case, I was at an animal preserve filled with animals that had been injured or rescued from zoos or had been hunted/poached nearly to extinction. This was a large specialized game park in South Africa built expressly to help these animals survive when they could not survive on their own.  The limited public access was to raise awareness and funding.

I was not messing with a leopard in a cage. I was visiting a leopard snoozing in the sun after a big meal. He had been born in captivity somewhere else and now was being pampered to the best of the staff's ability.

What SHOULD have I done? Or Michele, if she happened to be in a similar place with tigers?

===

Back to Survivor, I am curious to see what the relationship is between Michele and Julia. I don't think we got a shot of them interacting at all, and they didn't seem to be colluding on a vote. Are they actually close but didn't interact in an interesting enough for TV manner? Or was Anna the glue?

• Love 4

I like what she said in this last episode but the way she said it (as in, her accent and intonation) really bothered me.  Then I looked at her Survivor bio and realized why: her current residence is listed as in NJ, literally 20 minutes away from where I grew up.  Haha.  Guess it hit a little close to home ...

(I still live in New Jersey and love Jersey girls by the way, being one myself.  But I guess the accent doesn't come off so great to me on TV.)

I'm close to NJ myself and there are certain accents that will never stop driving me crazy no matter how often I hear them, but I don't hear an accent on Michele, her manner of speaking sounds like a person who's deaf/hard of hearing (her voice reminds me of Christie from the Amazon season). As far as I know, her hearing is fine but that's still how she sounds to me. 

I have high hopes for her maybe taking down one of the guys who think they're running the show, but she gets such limited screen time that it's hard to get a read on what her plans are. 

I have high hopes for her maybe taking down one of the guys who think they're running the show, but she gets such limited screen time that it's hard to get a read on what her plans are. 

I feel the opposite. I think she has had tons of screen time, especially in these past 2 eps. And it's screen time that doesn't make tons of sense really, like showing her talking about fucking up the RC in the ep where her tribe didn't even lose the IC/have to go to TC. They showed her bonding with Debbie. They showed her talking about being able to see through Nick. Based on the edit I'll honestly be shocked if she doesn't at least try to make a move against the men.

I feel the opposite. I think she has had tons of screen time, especially in these past 2 eps. And it's screen time that doesn't make tons of sense really, like showing her talking about fucking up the RC in the ep where her tribe didn't even lose the IC/have to go to TC. They showed her bonding with Debbie. They showed her talking about being able to see through Nick. Based on the edit I'll honestly be shocked if she doesn't at least try to make a move against the men.

I'm iffy on the Debbie/Michele relationship based on a very long bonus clip/secret scene of Debbie planning to cut Michele's throat if their tribe lost immunity. She basically wrote her off as a weak competitor/cannon fodder and went on at length about how losing her wouldn't hurt the tribe a bit. 

Granted, this was before the merge but I still wonder if Debbie (super strategist/fiercest, most ripped competitor in her own mind) is going to want to join her future in the game with Michele's. Though perhaps viewing Michele as weak could make her an attractive option? It just seemed like a very pointed clip to include. 

(edited)

What's interesting about that to me is that they didn't show the clip of Debbie saying that. They only showed the clip of them bonding and Michele pondering them working together. To me that suggests Debbie never tries to or never has the chance to go against Michele.

What's interesting about that to me is that they didn't show the clip of Debbie saying that. They only showed the clip of them bonding and Michele pondering them working together. To me that suggests Debbie never tries to or never has the chance to go against Michele.

True. The fact that it didn't make the show itself probably means something. 

Back to Survivor, I am curious to see what the relationship is between Michele and Julia. I don't think we got a shot of them interacting at all, and they didn't seem to be colluding on a vote. Are they actually close but didn't interact in an interesting enough for TV manner? Or was Anna the glue?

Well based on the latest promo for the next episode it would appear that Michele and Julia are still aligned with the two of them talking about "making a move at some point".

(edited)

Another very good episode for Michele tonight. Two things to me stood out.

1. Even though it was Cydney's plan to vote out Nick it was Michele who got this confessional right before tribal council that screams winner to me

"I want to make a move as someone who gets the title because they earned it." 

2. The Beauty Gal alliance is still ticking.  After all the focus the last couple episodes on Nick-Michele and absolutely nothing with Julia last week we come to find out that Julia is in fact Michele's numer one ally.  Notice the confessional Michele gives when talking about the plan to blindside Nick.

"Cydney would like to get Nick out I was hoping to work with him for a little longer. It's trying to figure out who is best for me and Julia."

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6

2. The Beauty Gal alliance is still ticking.  After all the focus the last couple episodes on Nick-Michele and absolutely nothing with Julia last week we come to find out that Julia is in fact Michele's numer one ally.  Notice the confessional Michele gives when talking about the plan to blindside Nick.

"Cydney would like to get Nick out I was hoping to work with him for a little longer. It's trying to figure out who is best for me and Julia."

Yeah, my radar immediately locked onto that comment as well.

Makes you wonder why Production is keeping their continued relationship under such deep cover, now doesn't it...?

• Love 1

Yeah, my radar immediately locked onto that comment as well.

Makes you wonder why Production is keeping their continued relationship under such deep cover, now doesn't it...?

In what way is their relationship under deep cover? In every shot of someone trying to sort out what's going to happen in the vote, they are either referred to as a twosome who will be voting with us meathead blokes, or they're sitting together in the water and deciding together whether they'll listen to Cyndey's pitch and go with the brains against Nick. I mean, it's no mystery to anyone in the camp that they are aligned - and it's certainly no big secret for me as a viewer watching the show. I think they are two dull girls, and thus get little screentime unless they are doing or saying something salient to what is about to go down.

• Love 1

Their being close was shown more this episode - it's last week's epi that never showed them together or interacting in any way. For some reason...

It seems like maybe the reason was just that they wanted to fill that ep with Nick to make this ep even more hilarious and satisfying.

But I still find it strange we haven't been shown any of them discussing stuff together. Sure, we had the confessional with Michele saying 'Julia and me,' but that's not much really. Obviously they are making decisions together. I'd like to actually, you know, see that.

• Love 3

In what way is their relationship under deep cover? In every shot of someone trying to sort out what's going to happen in the vote, they are either referred to as a twosome who will be voting with us meathead blokes, or they're sitting together in the water and deciding together whether they'll listen to Cyndey's pitch and go with the brains against Nick. I mean, it's no mystery to anyone in the camp that they are aligned - and it's certainly no big secret for me as a viewer watching the show. I think they are two dull girls, and thus get little screentime unless they are doing or saying something salient to what is about to go down.

But I still find it strange we haven't been shown any of them discussing stuff together. Sure, we had the confessional with Michele saying 'Julia and me,' but that's not much really. Obviously they are making decisions together. I'd like to actually, you know, see that.

That was pretty much the basis for my "deep cover" remark.

Sure, you see them on the beach together, or sitting together - but in this sort of communal set-up, at some time or another you'll see everybody paired of with everybody else, either in foreground or in back. Unless they're deathly enemies, that is, and we're kind of slack on those at the moment.

And yes, you'll frequently hear some players refer to others as a pair, or a threesome - but that's indirect inference. If I'm not mistaken - other than maybe an oblique reference to Anna's eviction - Michele's "Julia and me" remark was the first direct confirmation we've had since before the mix-up switch from EITHER that the Beauty Alliance was still functional.

• Love 2

If I'm not mistaken - other than maybe an oblique reference to Anna's eviction - Michele's "Julia and me" remark was the first direct confirmation we've had since before the mix-up switch from EITHER that the Beauty Alliance was still functional.

I believe you're correct. And even with that it's only from Michele's perspective anyway so we still have no real idea if they're an unbreakable pair or not.

• Love 1

And yet again we get no info on where Michele and Julia are as an alliance. Unbelievable. I'm just dumbfounded by it.

There's a bonus vid from this ep where Michele once again calls Julia her #1 and says she's happy that she won Immunity. But she goes on to say that she's happy because she "didn't want to have to vote out her #1 alliance." That sorta suggests to me that she would have if the others decided to do it. Plus she says how she's sure Julia is with them when it feels pretty obvious that Julia has dropped that 5 for the Tai/Jason/Scot trio. Hmmm. 

See I don't think it is obvious that Julia has dropped Michele though. The other 4 (now 3) sure, but Michele I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me if Michele ends up flipping too when the time is right. I know Michele has said that Cydney and Tai were her two biggest threats out there so I am guessing she wants to get rid of both soon (especially Cydney). Anyway, here is a nice press pic from Julia and Michele from next episode. I am thinking their still closely aligned.

S32_Ep10_SG_0042.jpg

• Love 2

See I don't think it is obvious that Julia has dropped Michele though. The other 4 (now 3) sure, but Michele I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me if Michele ends up flipping too when the time is right. I know Michele has said that Cydney and Tai were her two biggest threats out there so I am guessing she wants to get rid of both soon (especially Cydney). Anyway, here is a nice press pic from Julia and Michele from next episode. I am thinking their still closely aligned.

At this point in the game I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Julia flips Michele to join with the Testosterone Trio, forming a five-strong alliance against Aubry/Cydney/Joe.

• Love 1

I have no doubt that Julia and Michele like each other and are friends, but I do have some doubts about how committed they are to each other game-wise. The vid above that I linked to suggests to me that Michele was willing to vote Julia out at the last TC. And I think Julia basically deflecting to the dicks and stating that her ideal F3 is with them pretty much confirms that she's willing to cut Michele.

• Love 1

Really surprised Michele continues to get so little attention after the very strong episode she had this past week.  For my money, she is one of the best Survivor players of all time. In addition to the usual winning characteristics, she is careful not to let Jeff's TC questions lead or provoke her into saying something impolitic. I consider this an overlooked and very important Survivor skill. It's not a skill, of course, that CBS is going to play up, because they don't want to encourage it. There was a very overrated player from a few seasons back named Kim Spradin who won despite being terrible at this. And the very underrated player who won the previous seasion, Sophie Clarke, IMO did so in part because she was good at it.

• Love 5

I'm not surprised Michele isn't getting much attention simply because she's just not very visible edit-wise. And her style of game-play is the type that the edit never gives enough credit to. It's hard to show I would assume. I personally love it, but I can understand why the editors don't give it much attention.

I was super convinced Michele was the winner immediately after the premiere and I really held onto it for awhile, but now I don't know. She is practically invisible at this point. But then again as I just said lol she's playing the type of game that just never gets a ton of screen time even when the player wins so.

I wonder if she'll go on an Imunity run like Jenna Morassca did. For some reason, she reminds me a lot of her. It's not that they look or act alike but there is something and I can't put my finger on it. There was a lot of chatter that Michelle was getting the winner edit which is sort of weird because out of all of the girls she seems to get the least confessionals. I wouldn't be upset if she won. I just don't know what her path is. It could be the before mentioned immunity run and tonight will let me know if that's the case or not.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, SlackerInc said:

Really surprised Michele continues to get so little attention after the very strong episode she had this past week.  For my money, she is one of the best Survivor players of all time. In addition to the usual winning characteristics, she is careful not to let Jeff's TC questions lead or provoke her into saying something impolitic. I consider this an overlooked and very important Survivor skill. It's not a skill, of course, that CBS is going to play up, because they don't want to encourage it. There was a very overrated player from a few seasons back named Kim Spradin who won despite being terrible at this. And the very underrated player who won the previous seasion, Sophie Clarke, IMO did so in part because she was good at it.

Wait! Kim is overrated? She's is one of my favorite players and she played an awesome game. She ran circles around everyone on her season. I guess we will have to disagree on this. LOL!!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! Kim is overrated? She's is one of my favorite players and she played an awesome game. She ran circles around everyone on her season. I guess we will have to disagree on this. LOL!!!

Actually, I'd say that Kim is underrated as a winner/player.  IMO, she doesn't get anywhere near the credit she deserves (including from Probst).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Special K said:

Actually, I'd say that Kim is underrated as a winner/player.  IMO, she doesn't get anywhere near the credit she deserves (including from Probst).

Now, I understand what you meant and I totally agree.

Yeah, I still think Kim is overrated, but I respect your opinions.  I don't think she can be called underrated, not on this site anyway, because the overwhelming opinion here has seemed to be that she is the greatest thing ever.  But I really think people failed to account for the weakness of her competition, and failed to notice that she would carelessly say things (both at Tribal and elsewhere--a particular case I recall was when she was standing with some others in knee-deep water) that had the potential to piss off allies, reveal someone was lower than they thought on the pecking order, etc.

Michele is very careful not to do that, which is a great strength of hers.  And as I say, this is a skill that does not get enough attention IMO: I think it is one of the most important skills in this game.

Michele can't do that because she's not on the top of any pecking order!

Not going to go into Kim here (she is indeed the greatest ever IMO) but it's really hard to compare her to Michele since their circumstances are very different.  Jeremy last season was in a very Kim-like spot and played a very Kim-like game, but Michele is in a totally different situation.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Michele can't do that because she's not on the top of any pecking order!

Not going to go into Kim here (she is indeed the greatest ever IMO) but it's really hard to compare her to Michele since their circumstances are very different.  Jeremy last season was in a very Kim-like spot and played a very Kim-like game, but Michele is in a totally different situation.

and, Michelle isn't getting the air time that Kim & Jeremy got. One episode she's there and in another she isn't.

I read a lot about Aubry being such a player, but I think Michele has beaten her while facing greater odds. There's not one thing Aubry has had to overcome that Michele didn't, and Michele didn't have the advantage of the most worthless player ever in her back pocket. Hell, at least Sean's alphabet strategy was of his own devising. Joe just waited for someone to tell him what to do.

Losing allies? How about Anna, then Nick, then Julia? Boo hoo, Aubry lost Neal and Joe. Social game? Michele didn't have two weak willed dudes on each side of her, so she had to keep fighting and adapting to get here. Like @KimberStormer said in the latest episode thread, Joe was the Advantage that Aubry got to keep all game just because they started on the same tribe. She got two votes at every TC they attended together.  

Aubry was at the bottom, but got saved by the game itself. Michele had to fight for her game at tribal. She had to build and rebuild alliances. And she got saddled playing with Tai, who apparently didn't even bother to get to know her because of his own hang-ups. It wasn’t a matter of the Beauty women cutting him out ; he was the one excluding people. His "energy" and "chemistry" bullshit just wasn't being talked about at the time. 

If Cydney doesn't take this, I really hope Michele does. And she will deserve it. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Losing allies? How about Anna, then Nick, then Julia?

I mean she did actively participate in losing two of those.

I think Michele has played a great game. It's a very quiet game that's not exciting and doesn't make for the kind of tv the producers and edits really like, but I personally love the type of game she played. I'd be completely happy with her winning. And I'm back to thinking she will indeed be the winner.

• Love 3

I would love a Michele win and I'm about 80% confident that it's happening. From both a game logic and edit perspective I actually think all the women have a shot, but Michele really, really sticks out.

It's been a while since a player like Michele has won, but I always love when it happens because it hammers home the fact that there's no one right way to play the game. We've seen a lot of aggressive strategists and scrappy heroic underdogs in recent years. Rarely do we get a winner who just kind of elegantly floats through the game, making the right connections with the right people at the right time, never necessarily being in control but always being in the mix. I get why production tries to encourage players to make big moves - it's makes for great TV moments - but there's a lot to be said for Michele's more subtle, well-executed gameplay.

In a way Michele's game reminds me a lot of Sandra's, but it took me a while to see it because of their wildly different personalities. And like Sandra, I could see Michele doing very well on a second season even if she wins this one. Unlike Sandra, I unfortunately don't think Michele will be asked back.

• Love 5

Losing allies? How about Anna, then Nick, then Julia? Boo hoo, Aubry lost Neal and Joe. Social game? Michele didn't have two weak willed dudes on each side of her, so she had to keep fighting and adapting to get here. Like @KIMBERSTORMER said in the latest episode thread, Joe was the Advantage that Aubry got to keep all game just because they started on the same tribe. She got two votes at every TC they attended together.  

Most importantly, losing Caleb!! He was the designated fourth in that original Beauty girl alliance and his evacuation started the chain reaction that led to the decimation of the previously on top of the world Beauties. Nick was a last-minute substitution, he had been earmarked to get bounced the first time Beauty went to tribal, which never ended up happening with the tribal shakeup. 

I'm torn on whether or not she can pull out the win. She has played a good game and survived the odds, but I'm not sure she's viewed as strategic. She does appear to have good social skills and will probably be able to read the jurors as far as what they want to hear, so I do think she has a shot. 

• Love 2

The edit seems to show a Aubrey or Syd win. That said, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Michelle won. Her game is way more social with a little of strategy thrown in here and there. It might not be a great game but it isn't horrible. I guess it all depends who she is sitting next to. She has brought up the flip-flop of Tai and most of the jury is aware of that. So if she sat next to Tai she could win. If she is with on of the girls it might be a little tougher.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Xazeal said:

It's been a while since a player like Michele has won, but I always love when it happens because it hammers home the fact that there's no one right way to play the game. We've seen a lot of aggressive strategists and scrappy heroic underdogs in recent years. Rarely do we get a winner who just kind of elegantly floats through the game, making the right connections with the right people at the right time, never necessarily being in control but always being in the mix. I get why production tries to encourage players to make big moves - it's makes for great TV moments - but there's a lot to be said for Michele's more subtle, well-executed gameplay.

THIS! Personally I'm growing very tired of the mastermind/aggressive strategist game (esepcially on BB but here too). I do love a scrappy heroic underdog but I would maybe argue that Michele kinda does fit that as well as the utr player. Plus I just really like her personality so that helps!

And I agree with you that big moves are not always necessary.

• Love 4

I'd find Michele to be kind of a boring winner.  I had high hopes for her pre-season, and even as the season progressed, thought bigger moves were coming.  But, I found her underwhelming as a castaway.  She wouldn't be the worst winner ever, and is better than some of the alternatives this season could have had.  I will say this is one finale I'm going into that I actually don't care.  But still, not anyway I'm going to jump out of my seat over.

14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'd find Michele to be kind of a boring winner.  I had high hopes for her pre-season, and even as the season progressed, thought bigger moves were coming.  But, I found her underwhelming as a castaway.  She wouldn't be the worst winner ever, and is better than some of the alternatives this season could have had.  I will say this is one finale I'm going into that I actually don't care.  But still, not anyway I'm going to jump out of my seat over.

That said, I am sure she wil clean up nice. LOL!! I love seeing everyone at the reunion because they always look awesome. Of course, I don't think Jason could look any better no matter what he tries. He's gross. Just not my type. I'm shallow that way. LOL!!!

(edited)

My fave winners are virtually all women who didn't make any big, earth-shattering moves so I do have a type!

Michele certainly made moves. Initially she joined the Beauty Gals alliance which as group was effectively controlling the dominating Beauty tribe. She managed to survive the tribe swap even though she had no actual initial tribe alliance members with her. She made the decision to boot Julia, her only real ally, in order to further her own game. She won an IC. So yea she doesn't have any super awesome big game-changing moves, but it's not like she sat on her ass and got dragged to the end either.

• Love 6

The social game is so undervalued, but it has always been vital. The editors can't figure out how to show someone building relationships in a compelling way,  I guess, but any player who ignores those relationships will and should lose. Michele is right that Aubry did herself in by shutting people off. Tai had the same weakness. They only played with a few select people. Michele was shown talking to lots of people in a positive way. I think that's how the editors tried to show her strengths. For some of us, they very much succeeded. I knew exactly how Michele won the game. While I probably enjoy Julia's style or Cydney's style more, I can absolutely respect the social game. Not everything has to be about the Big Moves. The daily grind of making people trust you and want to give you a million dollars is the most important challenge in Survivor. Great job, Michele. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

The social game is so undervalued, but it has always been vital. The editors can't figure out how to show someone building relationships in a compelling way,  I guess, but any player who ignores those relationships will and should lose. Michele is right that Aubry did herself in by shutting people off. Tai had the same weakness. They only played with a few select people. Michele was shown talking to lots of people in a positive way. I think that's how the editors tried to show her strengths. For some of us, they very much succeeded. I knew exactly how Michele won the game. While I probably enjoy Julia's style or Cydney's style more, I can absolutely respect the social game. Not everything has to be about the Big Moves. The daily grind of making people trust you and want to give you a million dollars is the most important challenge in Survivor. Great job, Michele. 

I have to agree with this.  It would be interesting to know if this was a strategy or just her personality.  Surely the producers could prompt her to talk about that in a confessional!

She wasn't who I was rooting for, but she was obviously who the jury was rooting for.  Too bad they never showed it to us, and gave first Tai, and then Aubry such strong "winner's edits."  That's why there is so much hue and cry.  We was tricked!!

• Love 3

This Michele/Aubry thing is starting to remind me of the Danni/Stephenie thing in Guatemala, with the difference that back then most people were rooting against Stephenie (the editing gave us reason to, TBH). But Danni's and Michele's gameplays have been pretty similar: coming from a minority alliance that got decimated, lying low while forging interpersonal relations with other players and being so successful that the other players lost track of their best interest because they liked being around them. That power of soft persuasion is a powerful asset, that editing (which mostly fucuses on the most visual aspectsd of the game) can difficultly show us. 

The other comparison this season brings to mind is China: I thought Amanda had it in the bag, having been the most strategic all along, until it turned out (if we forget the terrible FTC) that she had never developed any close personal relation with people she knew she was going to vote out. Editing didn't show much of that (except in regard to PG) and also didn't show how Todd was chummy with the other contestants.

I still prefer the Guatemala comparison, because the situation - working from a minority position from the get go, having to win the last immunities - is very similar. 

• Love 6