Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Survivor host Jeff Probst explains how they handle showmances
By Dalton Ross   May 15, 2024
https://ew.com/survivor-jeff-probst-how-they-handle-showmances-exclusive-8640461 

The lack of will-they-or-won’t-they this season is not a huge surprise, of course. Would you want to court someone when you have not showered or brushed your teeth in weeks? Plus, as host and showrunner Jeff Probst tells Entertainment Weekly, it is not something the show tries to orchestrate.

“You never anticipate that happening,” Probst tells EW. “We never, at least as long as I've been around as executive producer, we've never cast anybody because they were single and might mingle — ever.”

That said, the host obviously perks up once sparks fly, but he and the crew do not want to be the ones to ignite the flame. It has to come straight from the source. “I love it when it happens, but we don't spend a lot of time on it because we also don't want to influence what they're thinking by asking too many questions about it. We tend to let them bring it up.”
Of course, romance can often get in the way of why people show up to play Survivor in the first place — winning. Which is what makes a showmance such a tricky thing in game for a million dollars. “When it happens on Survivor, romance is kind of interesting,” Probst notes. “Because they're not out here looking for it, and they know they're risking their game to have it. So it tells you how big that connection is that it can override their sensibility of playing this dangerous game because they might be falling in love with someone.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Daltons interview with Charlie is very interesting. He is sooooo over Maria and her wafflling about her vote. He’s pretty much annoyed with her and over it. He also said he probably would have gotten Ben’s voted (had there been a tie) which I tend to believe. Usually, there is a lot of revisionist history after the game but he says he & Ben were super close. Even Kenzie said she thinks Ben would have voted for Charlie. Ugh!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Daltons interview with Charlie is very interesting. He is sooooo over Maria and her wafflling about her vote. He’s pretty much annoyed with her and over it. He also said he probably would have gotten Ben’s voted which I tend to believe. Usually, there is a lot of revisionist history after the game but he says he & Ben were super close. Even Kenzie said she things Ben would have voted for Charlie. Ugh!

I read Maria’s interview with Dalton and yeah, it doesn’t sound like they are anywhere near as close as they were out there.  I’m just really annoyed that Maria claims it was Q’s question that made her change her mind (because it had nothing to do with the game).  But then she also said it was the fire making that did it.  I think she was just bitter.  I can’t believe she would have voted for Kenzie over a guy she’d be through the entire game with and who was her #1 until Q ruined his game and Maria saw an easy target to be her new #1.  She was bitter and cost Charlie the million.  I don’t blame him for being over her.  

• Like 15
5 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Once again, not everyone was invited to Applebee's.

Don’t see Liz there. 
Or Maria. 
Not sure which absence is funnier.  😄

• Like 6

'Survivor 46' Winner Kenzie Petty Reveals an Unseen Alliance that Ran the Endgame
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 23 2024
https://parade.com/tv/kenzie-petty-survivor-46-winner-interivew

'Survivor 46' Runner-Up Charlie Davis Says His Relationship with Maria Permanently Changed After Her Jury Vote
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 23 2024
https://parade.com/tv/charlie-davis-survivor-46-runner-up-finale-interview

'Survivor 46' Finalist Ben Katzman Reveals Who He Would Have Voted for in a Tie Jury Vote
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 23 2024
https://parade.com/tv/ben-katzman-survivor-46-runner-up-finale-interview

'Survivor 46's Maria Shrime Gonzalez Reveals the Reason Behind Her Shocking Jury Vote
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 23 2024
https://parade.com/tv/maria-shrime-gonzalez-survivor-46-eliminated-interview

'Survivor 46's Liz Wilcox Says Her Applebee's Outburst "Garnered Respect" from the Other Players
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 23 2024
https://parade.com/tv/liz-wilcox-survivor-46-interview

(edited)

https://www.vulture.com/article/survivor-should-fire-jeff-probst.html

I don't agree with the sentiment that Probst needs to be fired, and I think the issue is more with him being the showrunner than the host.  But I think this article sums a lot that isn't working with the new era.  Here are some key points I thought it made:

Remember when Parvati Shallow played two idols at one tribal and upended the game? We’ve never seen anything like that since because Survivor no longer allows for such complicated game play.

Starting with three small tribes is a mistake; we’ve seen several seasons where two tribes dominate a third, so we end up spending a lot of time with one group of unlucky losers. Probst says that having small tribes means there’s no place to hide, but I think it means there’s no room to maneuver. There are only two possibilities at tribal now because there are only six people to vote for. Season 46 has seen several places where the larger merged tribe has broken into smaller factions. What was great about old Survivor was seeing how those on the bottom could find a way to survive through a combination of politicking, vote counting, and strategy. Now, instead of gameplay, the idols, advantages, journeys, and other gimmicks that seem made up on the spot control the cast’s trajectory.

Look at the final fire-making challenge. Sure, if you’re going to survive in the wild, you should be able to make a fire, but the fact that one skill now determines who makes it to the final three is ludicrous. It’s “outwit, outplay, outlast,” not “outkindle.” 

These contestants are showing up having built challenges and replicas of puzzles at home to practice on. First of all, this should be an indication that the show needs to change up its challenges. Secondly, it rewards a certain type of feverish obsession with the game, one that is most fun when it’s subverted rather than indulged.

Look at what tribal has become: In recent years, Probst encourages paranoia and back talk, frantic whisper sessions and utter confusion. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Q’s going to pick up the slack apparently.  He said he’s going to give $20,000 to whoever the fans vote for going forward.  We’ll see how long it lasts. 

Is Q the millionaire?  And what about millionaire Liz?   

And who exactly is going to be organizing this vote?   Will Q be eligible?

(edited)
59 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Is Q the millionaire?  And what about millionaire Liz?   

And who exactly is going to be organizing this vote?   Will Q be eligible?

I just want to vote for Venus because I know they can’t stand each other.  Q had a poll up on his IG story.  I guess you have to vote by tribe first, and then whatever tribe gets the most votes you vote for whoever was in the tribe.  If Yanu somehow comes out as the tribe on top I’m voting for Bhanu.  I’m assuming he’s completely full of it and won’t honor this, but considering he has a baby on the way I hope he okayed this with his wife.  

And as for Sia, I’m not sorry this award is over and done with.  I’m just shocked this is the cast that made her say enough.  Maybe between Charlie the Swiftie and Rock On Ben, they could have gotten someone out there that knows Sia’s entire music catalog alphabetically and in chronological order of release date.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I wonder if Sia realized too many people seemed to be playing for her award rather than for Survivor.  It really seemed like that was all Bhanu (and others) were going for-manipulation of Sia and her money.  Or, like others have noted, maybe her money is tightening up and she just can't afford it anymore (and I wonder how the new 'after show' plays into it that her award is not featured as it was during the 'reunion' era).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Was Evil Silence Golden? Did SYTYCD’s Cat Feel Silly? Survivor Rule Change? Were Fire Country Farewells Funny? MIA grown-ish Fam? More TV Qs!
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KIMBERLY ROOTS, REBECCA IANNUCCI, RYAN SCHWARTZ, NICK CARUSO, ANDY SWIFT, CHARLIE MASON   MAY 24, 2024 
https://tvline.com/features/grownish-series-finale-dre-bow-missing-junior-graduation-1235245073/ 

16 | Were any other Survivor viewers hoping Maria would pull out an idol at Tribal Council (and that the edit was just tricking us)? And is it just us, or was Ben thinking Liz (of all people) was the biggest threat out there just… absolutely crazy? And back in the South Pacific season, Jeff specifically said Albert couldn’t help Sophie pick up puzzle pieces during a challenge. Have the rules changed since then? Why was Liz allowed to run back and grab Kenzie’s plank?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, LadyChatts said:

https://www.vulture.com/article/survivor-should-fire-jeff-probst.html

I don't agree with the sentiment that Probst needs to be fired, and I think the issue is more with him being the showrunner than the host.  But I think this article sums a lot that isn't working with the new era.  Here are some key points I thought it made:

I don't know, other than starting with the three small tribes, I don't really agree with most of this. The point about Parvati is irrelevant in my opinion because idols still exist. It's not the show's fault if players are dumbasses who refuse to play their idols, like we saw this season.

I guess, the point can be related to the very complicated ways the show makes the players get an idol, which I will concede is a bit much. But saying that, one can argue that that DOES add a new layer of complexity to the game that didn't exist in the past. 

The stuff about people practicing puzzles and what not before coming on the show - that's what's going to happen when a show has been on as long as Survivor has. There are only so many variations on challenges these people can come up with. And frankly I still don't see the evidence of how this has hurt the show since we've seen many of these players not win - um, Hunter anyone? All those puzzle challenge knowledge didn't save him in the game. 

As for the fire-making challenge at F4 - doesn't bother me because I do think for a show where fire is so significant, it makes sense that the final hurdle comes down to making fire. And I've enjoyed seeing the many players who despite knowing this, are unprepared when they get down to F4, to make fire. 

• Like 5
On 5/26/2024 at 10:30 PM, truthaboutluv said:

I don't know, other than starting with the three small tribes, I don't really agree with most of this. The point about Parvati is irrelevant in my opinion because idols still exist. It's not the show's fault if players are dumbasses who refuse to play their idols, like we saw this season.

The thing about idols is I feel like the risk and gamble isn't there anymore like in previous seasons.  Maybe it's because other advantages out there can provide a safety net, or the fact that this is another way that proves the 3-tribe format is broken, or the other random advantages the show has thrown in in this new era on top of the idol, or the twists that randomly pop up throughout the season when people can't vote and can't play an idol or advantage.  But something about the idols just doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore.  I felt like idols used to have to be calculated carefully as to the right time to use them.  Of course, we've had people go home with an idol (or two) in their pocket, their idol be given away and then used against them in their ouster (hey J.T.), and idols played on the wrong person (looking at you, 4 Horsemen of Fiji).  I can't exactly put my finger on what it is that's changed about this.  

I do think it's funny that this season of all new era seasons seems to have broken everything.  It broke the wrong records, it broke the Sia award, and it seems to be the breaking point from a lot of fans that the show needs a desperate change-up.  I still think we will probably have to wait until S50 with the returning players and then Probst will usher in another new era.  

• Like 4
10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But something about the idols just doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore. 

It's not the idols in my opinion, but the players. Some of the examples mentioned of past strategic idol plays is because the players were smart in how they played their idols. 

The issue I see, particularly this season, wasn't with the idols but players who are overthinking the game and more importantly, thinking one or two tribal councils down the road, forgetting that they have to make it past that particular tribal council. 

Idols are still an effective and interesting part of the game, in my opinion. The problem is with players not knowing how to strategically use them to their advantage. That and people need to STOP telling other players when they have an idol.

• Like 3

I think Season 50 will be the biggest test and (possible) changes. They still have Season 47, 48 and 49 to contend with. I don’t think they will mess with the current format until 49 and more so with 50. They don’t film Survivor 49 and 50 until next late 2025. Granted, it’s only a year but it is aways away. Season 47 should be fun just for the fact they saw most of the season with the non idol play but they don’t know how it ended including the Liz challenge craziness and the Maria “scandal”.  They’ll be like, WTH? LOL!!!!

Season 48 will have a much better picture. It doesn’t mean they’ll play any better but it might drive their season how they play. Season 49 & 50 is where it gets fuzzy. IMO!!! Will there be drastic changes or will it be status quo? Fun times ahead.

(edited)

Apparently Liz lied when she said that she was a millionaire...

Liz Wilcox reveals the Survivor 46 finale speech she never got to give
By Dalton Ross   May 23, 2024
https://ew.com/survivor-46-liz-wilcox-interview-finale-speech-never-got-to-give-8652796 

So we saw you talking a lot about how you would have wiped the floor with those other ho-bags had you made it to the very end. After talking to the jurors, do you still feel that way?
I want to say that when I talked to the jury about this, I was still very upset. And the jury, if you couldn't tell by their 30 second timers and their no jokes, they were not very nice. That's all I'll say. And so I was really not being heard. And to this day, I haven't really been given an opportunity to explain myself too much.
So hit me with your speech to the jury. What were you going to say if you'd gotten there?
Yeah, so before we hit record, Dalton said, “Liz, my favorite Survivor weirdo.” I knew that I wasn't going to go in there and try to blend in. That was something I talked about in the casting process. And I knew that people tend to dismiss me. Very similar to Ben's story, I've always been the clown for the party. And I said: Instead of trying to hide that or try to be something I'm not, why don't I just lean 10% more into that personality? And so I did. Instead of trying to hide my wealth, I actually exaggerated it. I'm not a millionaire, or rumored billionaire, sorry to break your hearts. I'm just a single mom.

And I think even that dropping that bomb and saying, “Hey, I've been talking about my family, I've been talking about coming out of poverty, a lot of my family is still there, and actually everyone relies on me for support and the money I've made actually isn't what you think. Give me the money” I think that would've swayed people, especially people like Maria and possibly even Q who said in the finale after-show, “Hey, Kenzie's answer about the money really helped me solidify who I was writing down.”

I know the jury might be saying now, “Nah, nah, nah, Liz,” but we don't know. And I really think making that move of saying I was a millionaire really did disarm people. “There's no way she's lying to us” — when really I actually was. And the second biggest thing I think was actually the Tevin vote. And it might seem like, “Oh, that was a million years ago.” I did that very much on purpose. It was very intentional to get rid of Tevin so early. Similar to Gabler. I make a move really quick and then I kind of go under the radar. You forget about me.
Anything else that happened out there that did not make it to TV that you wish we had seen?
I really wish they would've shown that I was purposely exaggerating my wealth. I feel like that would've been pretty epic, but what are you going to do?

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

I don't think that exaggerating or lying about her wealth is as epic as she thinks it is (from the interview above).  Wait until we find out she lied about all of her allergies, wrists, etc....(not that she did, just that I think she did).

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Yet according to Liz two unnamed jurors told her repeatedly that no one on the jury would have given her the time of day and were not going to let talk.  This is why Liz was missing from the jury photo because she was so upset.  So not sure how the ‘hey guess what I lied about being rich!’ would have gone over.

In other news, I saw on SM there’s more drama with Venus/Maria/Tevin/Q.  I guess it stems from something Venus said in a cameo to a fan (who then posted it) about listening through a door and overhearing Maria campaigning against Charlie in the jury house.  Q then posted something in Maria’s defense, Venus deleted her Twitter (again), she’s called Q out, Maria said she wants her megaphone, Tevin’s tried calling Venus a liar…if only this cast was on Big Brother.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

In other news, I saw on SM there’s more drama with Venus/Maria/Tevin/Q.  I guess it stems from something Venus said in a cameo to a fan (who then posted it) about listening through a door and overhearing Maria campaigning against Charlie in the jury house.  Q then posted something in Maria’s defense, Venus deleted her Twitter (again), she’s called Q out, Maria said she wants her megaphone, Tevin’s tried calling Venus a liar…

It is just so, so messy. Venus's Cameo was someone asking her why she thought Maria voted against Charlie and Venus only said what a lot of people are thinking, that Maria was being bitter and petty, but she also said it was just her opinion. Then Q posted a video on twitter claiming that Venus had been spying on them at Ponderosa, Maria posted three or four times that I saw saying she was no longer going to be silent about Venus's lies and seemingly trying to rally her fans against Venus. Then Tevin tweeted some anti-Venus thing. And then Soda, who no one has been talking about at all, jumped in with a long ass thing about how she's being slandered and attacked. Most of the tweets have now been deleted, but a lot was happening on instagram and I'm not sure what's still up there.

Also, someone posted a photo of Tevin and Hunter together at a  gas station at night, and suddenly there was a ton of speculation that they were a couple. Hunter denied it and is now posting tons of photos of himself and Tiffany together, I guess hoping that if people assume he's boning someone, it's Tiff and not Tevin. Doesn't seem to be working.

As for whether Maria IS a petty person? I mean ... Venus posted a picture of herself and Maria standing in front of graffiti reading "Free Palestine." Maria then posted the picture on twitter, but with Venus cropped out of it.

It is the craziest thing I've ever seen in a post-season Survivor cast.

5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

if only this cast was on Big Brother.

I really want this to happen. The whole cast in the BB house for a hundred days. All of them, even Jelinsky and Bhanu. As long as Charlie gets out alive, I say whatever happens, happens.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5

As many of us have mentioned throughout the season, they seem to be casting for drama rather than survival.  If so, they certainly got what they wanted!

I wonder if they will revisit their casting process or priorities.

• Like 4

Probably would have been beneficial for me if I respected that thought prior to sticking (or changing) my Wednesday evening plans.

And, seacliffsal, we'll see if they actually make a move.  Probably might not see anything until 2025, but I wonder if even TPTB thought the past season wasn't that terrific

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Valerie said:

The official Survivor Instagram page is now getting involved and asking everyone to practice kindness. Yikes.

I do know that both Kenzie and Maria have posted on their IG stories troubling issues with fans (or in Maria’s case I assume haters).  Kenzie has said a couple of times throughout the season, including after the finale, that people needed to stop showing up at her salon and she now has security on the premises.  And Maria shared that people have been calling and texting her and her business.  I’m in the camp that thinks Maria is bitter and just can’t own that, but this is taking it too far.  I just think it’s funny that it’s yet another thing that S46 broke the mold on.  This is not the first cast to have overzealous fans or get death threats after the show, but the first time CBS has stepped in.

2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

As many of us have mentioned throughout the season, they seem to be casting for drama rather than survival.  If so, they certainly got what they wanted!

I wonder if they will revisit their casting process or priorities.

Since S47 is filming now I wonder if they will edit things more carefully, and have a talking to with the cast not to blow things up publicly after the show.  Venus posted something along the lines of saying she was going to reveal how horrible Q really was since he wouldn’t stay out of this drama with Maria.  I do think Soda and Tevin are bothered because Venus said in her exit interviews everyone but Hunter pretty much ignored her at Ponderosa and was rude to her, which caused them to get flack from fans.

• Like 3

I can't speak for others, but adding criticism doesn't necessarily mean people are being mean. TBH, a lot people admired the cast, but when criticism was warranted, they voiced their opinions.

When things get out of line, that is not cool. So good on Survivor for defending their players. At the end of the day, and IMO, it is possible to be nice & voice your opinions on what you may not have enjoyed from the past season.

In a perfect world, kindness only would be decent.  While wasn't really possible this season or in the past.  If you have to go next level on your frustrations, then the issue isn't the cast

• Like 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

And Maria shared that people have been calling and texting her and her business.  I’m in the camp that thinks Maria is bitter and just can’t own that, but this is taking it too far.  

Yeah, fans or viewers should never send any hate directly to the players or intrude into their personal lives. At the same time, it's hard to have sympathy for Maria because she's claimed that Charlie was "stirring things up" against her, when actually he's asked people more than once not to send her hateful messages, and she also seems to be trying to sic her own fans on Venus. I just think Maria is incredibly immature and dishonest.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Like 9
  • Applause 4
20 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Yeah, fans or viewers should never send any hate directly to the players or intrude into their personal lives. At the same time, it's hard to have sympathy for Maria because she's claimed that Charlie was "stirring things up" against her, when actually he's asked people more than once not to send her hateful messages, and she also seems to be trying to sic her own fans on Venus. I just think Maria is incredibly immature and dishonest.

Yes, I don’t think Maria has done herself a ton of favors post-season.  And I agree about Charlie, he’s been very vocal about people not sending her hate or threats (Venus to her credit had also been doing that throughout the season).  I think Venus was just frustrated that her experience wasn’t being matched in the edit.  I starting turning on Maria when I saw that secret scene of her and Ben, and from what I’ve seen post show I’m not sure she’s really a nice person.  I see more and more why her and Q get along so well though!  

• Like 7
(edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 6:18 PM, fishcakes said:

It is the craziest thing I've ever seen in a post-season Survivor cast.

On 5/30/2024 at 12:34 PM, LadyChatts said:

if only this cast was on Big Brother.

I really want this to happen. The whole cast in the BB house for a hundred days. All of them, even Jelinsky and Bhanu. As long as Charlie gets out alive, I say whatever happens, happens.

THIS.  It usually takes about 3 weeks for the Houseguests to bring out the knives, at first behind the backs of the other Houseguests.  I love the idea of them getting a head start on the crazy by bringing in the Survivor 46 crew.   And I'd bet a guaranteed HOH that Liz is allergic to slop. 

Seriously, although I'm not sure that a Survivor alum has been cast on BB **, I would not be shocked to learn that Q is on the casting office's speed dial.  He's tailor made for that show. 

** ETA, Doh.   How could I have forgotten Cirie.   All I did last summer was complain about complain about BB's decision to cast Cirie's annoying son and, to a lesser extent, Cirie.  As a test case, Cirie does not make a good argument for casting Survivor players on BB.  She seemed pretty miserable being trapped in a house for three months. 

Edited by Thalia
Cirie!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Thalia said:

THIS.  It usually takes about 3 weeks for the Houseguests to bring out the knives, at first behind the backs of the other Houseguests.  I love the idea of them getting a head start on the crazy by bringing in the Survivor 46 crew.   And I'd bet a guaranteed HOH that Liz is allergic to slop. 

Seriously, although I'm not sure that a Survivor alum has been cast on BB, I would not be shocked to learn that Q is on the casting office's speed dial.  He's tailor made for that show. 

Cirie was on the most recent season of Big Brother. 

• Like 2
On 5/30/2024 at 12:38 PM, tv echo said:

Liz; "And the jury, if you couldn't tell by their 30 second timers and their no jokes, they were not very nice."

I had given the jury the benefit of the doubt and thought the 30 second thing was a producer rule.  Ugh, how controlling of them.

Now, I'm remembering how cruel Soda was to Ben by saying something very flattering to him so that he started to smile and then hitting him with, "but you have no agency."  

Suddenly Liz and Hunter are my favorites.  Hunter always just seemed like a nice young teacher who liked games and was bewildered by all the shenanigans. 

Being bad at Survivor is getting to be a plus on that big resume in the sky.

• Like 7
(edited)

Even though I know they will never do this (and I assume the logistics of it would be a nightmare), sometimes I wish they would sequester the jury-from each other.  I've realized that over the many years of watching Survivor, watching Ponderosa episodes, and reading exit interviews, it's not really about what the jury observes at TC, as Jeff used to solemnly say.  It's really more about what the ousted players have to say in getting in their fellow jurors ears once they are voted off and telling them their narrative, whether it's the truth or not or somewhere in the middle.  I'm sure Q was a real picnic and probably never stopped playing the game in the jury house, wanting to still be in the take-charge role of dictating who was going to win.  I really believe his question to the final 3 was very calculated to ensure Kenzie got over the line to victory.  I believe Maria likely threw Charlie under the bus simply because she was mad that he got her before she could get him.  I believe some of the cast disliked Venus for no real reason, and she wasn't completely making things up about how she was treated. 

7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Being bad at Survivor is getting to be a plus on that big resume in the sky.

I seriously hate whatever previous newish era season started with the whole resume thing, but I hope eventually someone comes along and breaks it.  I've never seen a cast more obsessed than this one with big, flashy resume moves.  And the one who really had some of the least on her resume ended up winning.  What's the big deal?  It's always going to be a popularity contest in the end anyway.      

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
(edited)

What Were the TV Season’s Most-Watched Shows? And Which Cancelled Dramas Had the Most Viewers?
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 31, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/most-popular-tv-show-rankings-2024-ratings/ 

MOST-WATCHED UNSCRIPTED SHOW
1. Survivor, CBS (6.4 million)
2. The Golden Bachelor, ABC (6 million)
3. Dancing With the Stars, ABC (5.94 million)
4. American Idol, ABC (5.6 million)
5. Jeopardy! Masters, ABC (5 million)

TOP-RATED UNSCRIPTED SHOW (18-49 demo):
Survivor, CBS (1.06 rating)
TOP 10 OVERALL BY DEMO
1. Sunday Night Football, NBC (5.19 demo rating, +6% year-over-year)
2. Monday Night Football, ABC (2.45, N/A YOY)
3. NBA Saturday Primetime, ABC (1.1, N/A YOY)
4. Survivor, CBS (1.06, steady)
5. Saturday Night Football, ABC (1.02, +13%)
6. Law & Order: SVU, NBC (0.83, -8%)
7. Chicago P.D., NBC (0.82, -18%)
7 (tie). 9-1-1, ABC (0.82, -18%)
7 (tie). The Bachelor, ABC (0.82, N/A YOY)
8. The Golden Bachelor, ABC (0.80, new)
8 (tie). Tracker, CBS (0.80, new)

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I seriously hate whatever previous newish era season started with the whole resume thing, but I hope eventually someone comes along and breaks it.  I've never seen a cast more obsessed than this one with big, flashy resume moves.  And the one who really had some of the least on her resume ended up winning.  What's the big deal?  It's always going to be a popularity contest in the end anyway. 

I blame Penner for that mess. He was the one who counseled Lisa Whelchel that she needed a "story" to tell the jury and for a few seasons after that players would talk about having to have a good story. At some point, "story" morphed into "resume." Some long-gone poster put it best when they said they didn't care about big moves, their criteria was just "play game, don't be asshole, that's all I ask."

Edited by fishcakes
  • Like 2
(edited)

Ben Katzman "Survibes" All the Way to the Final Three on Survivor Season 46
By Catherine Toruño   June 3, 2024
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/survivor-46-ben-katzman-20024213 

In a game filled with lying and backstabbing, a few contestants, including [Charlie] Davis, [Liz] Wilcox, and winner Kenzie Petty, who had many teary confessionals about helping Katzman during his night terrors, decided to put the game aside and support Katzman. "Charlie took care of me, and Liz would heat rocks over the fire so I could put them in my shirt so I could have some insulation. But this is where we talked about the game the most, at night when everyone was sleeping," he admits.

Ultimately, these same four, who dubbed themselves the "Gathering of the Goats" alliance because they were often overlooked, made it to the end — which wasn't a coincidence. Looking past the edited storytelling this season, it's clear that these unique friendships and alliances guided the trajectory of the game into a refreshing ending in which the social aspect triumphed over gamebot strategizing. Even Petty, who sat next to Katzman and Davis at the final three, won over the jury with her strong social game over Davis' strategy-focused playing.

At the final tribal council, Katzman wasn't given many chances to defend his game for the million dollars, showing that the jury didn't seem to appreciate his style of "survibing" through the game."A lot of the jury didn't check on me or ask how I was doing, and it's not their fault. They were there to play a game, they weren't there to take care of somebody going through something," he says. "I wasn't just the person who had panic attacks. I'm still proud of what I did."
"Fire Sprite," Katzman's latest single, was inspired by his days in Fiji when he was sitting by the fire and facing demons. The 31-year-old musician, who's toured with Colleen Green, Mannequin Pussy, and Guerilla Toss, plans to continue collaborating with Survivor pals and teases a song with Soda Thompson and another with his fellow Siga tribe member Tim Spicer.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I really, really wish the professional writers who write about reality shows where everyone is known, for months, by first name only, would find themselves capable of using those same first names when they write their articles, instead of being so far up their own asses they must use last names because that's what separates them from the lowly proletariat.

• LOL 2
(edited)

Boston Rob is fielding Survivor 50 alliance requests
By Dalton Ross   June 4, 2024
https://ew.com/boston-rob-survivor-50-alliance-requests-8655827 

Everyone knows the game of Survivor does not begin when players hit the beach — especially when those players are returning contestants who have met and mingled off the island. Pre-game alliances are often the norm. That’s why the phones and social media accounts of previous Survivor players have been blowing up ever since Jeff Probst announced that season 50 of Survivor would feature blasts from the past, and even a franchise legend has gotten into the act.

“I'm stirring it up on social media like I like to do,” Boston Rob Mariano tells Entertainment Weekly. “So slide into the DMs, all you former players, and we'll let you know whether or not you can get in the alliance or not.” The five-time player, and winner of Redemption Island, then reconsiders. “Actually, talk to my secretary, Sandra. She's fielding all the requests.”
That would be Rob’s fellow Island of the Idols mentor (and two-time Survivor champion) Sandra Diaz-Twine. Whether Rob is being serious or not is open to debate. When he spoke to EW the day before filming began on Winners at War, Rob claimed he did no pre-game alliance making. “I don't play that,” he said in 2019. “I don't play it at all. I did not call not one single person, maybe to my detriment, but I have always believed that I'm better building and fostering relationships in person.”

It was Sandra who told him then how the game before the game works. “Now, I understand, like on Game Changers, Sandra told me on 39 that everybody out there had their pre-existing alliance before they got to the beach and if you weren't a part of it, then you were gone, one, two, three, four, and that might happen to me.” Indeed, Rob and his spouse Amber and old school friends Ethan Zohn, Parvati Shallow, Tyson Apostol, and Sandra ended up being voted out second, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth.

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 1
(edited)

‘Survivor’: CBS Planning “Year-Long” Celebration For Season 50
By Peter White   June 11, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/06/survivor-cbs-season-50-1235970491/ 

“We’re already talking about Season 50 for Survivor. We just wrapped up Season 47 in Fiji. I was texting with Jeff [Probst] last night and he said there’s some pretty epic blindsides coming up. I think this show can go on for a really long time,” CBS Entertainment president Amy Reisenbach told Deadline.

Reisenbach, who was speaking Tuesday at a Deadline-moderated panel at the Banff World Media Festival, said Season 50 will start shooting next spring.

“We will absolutely be celebrating and I would consider it kind of a year-long celebration. We do that really well on CBS. We will have a lot of plans in the works… it’d be the first time in the new era that will have returning players. That’s really exciting,” she added.

Probst revealed recently that Season 50, which will likely air in spring 2026, will feature all returning players.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

There’s a Classic ‘Survivor’ Phrase Jeff Probst Wishes He Could Still Say on the Show
Steve Pond   June 13, 2024
https://www.thewrap.com/jeff-probst-survivor-season-46-interview/ 

At this point, six seasons into the “new era” “Survivor,” what is your verdict? What do you love about the new version and what do you miss from “Survivor” Classic? 
I’ll start with what I miss most about the older seasons: “39 days, 18 people, one Survivor!” It was always such an iconic part of the show! We had a blast finding new spots to shoot those tag lines and I’ll admit a few of them were a bit risky, which made it all that much more fun! 

In terms of a big-picture view, “Survivor” has always evolved from one season to the next, so I don’t spend much time comparing the old era to the new. I see them as connected. There are still elements of our first season that can be found in our most recent season. That’s what keeps “Survivor” grounded.

Overall, what I enjoy most about the new era is the elevated level of danger in the game design. It was very obvious to us as producers that in order for the game to continue to evolve, we had to inject some new ideas in the form of twists and format changes, so that players had a new world in which to play. Things like Beware Advantages, the risk of losing your vote, the Shot in the Dark at tribal council, are all designed to open the game up in new ways for the players!

It seems to me that blindside eliminations are more frequent than ever before, and so is the frequency of contestants going home with immunity idols in their pockets. Do you think that’s accurate? And if so, why? 

Blindsides are a mandatory part of game play for the simple reason that if a player has an idea they are going home, they are incentivized to do anything and everything to stop that from happening. That’s why social relationships and social game play will always be the foundation of “Survivor.” If you are good at forming relationships and getting people to trust you, then you are capable of pulling off a blindside. But if we do our job right in casting, so is every other player! 

So the only thing you can do is accept that blindsides are woven into the game and it is extremely likely that when your torch is snuffed it will be due to a blindside. This simple acceptance allows you to focus on your own game because you know everybody else is doing the same thing.

We’ve talked in the past about how the increasingly intricate system of immunity idols and advantages might have gone too far with things like Change History and Do or Die. Are you comfortable with the number and kind of idols and advantages you’ve had in recent seasons?
Here’s the truth about advantages and idols: In the same way that a player has to be willing to risk losing in order to win, we as producers have to be willing to go too far with an advantage in order to find the appropriate edge. Creating the game design on “Survivor” is not a science, it’s an experiment and one that we are constantly adjusting. We’re very happy with where the game is, but that doesn’t mean we think every idea works. We fail all the time with ideas, but that’s the only way you can find new ones! 

I encourage players to take the same approach to playing the game. If you have an idea for a new way to use your Shot in the Dark, or a new approach to a Beware Advantage, try it! If it works, do it again. If it fails, try something else.
Do you think “Survivor” gameplay evolves from season to season, or is each season its own beast? We’ve had several winners recently who didn’t make the kind of “big moves” we often expect from winners – do you think players will now adjust and begin to target under-the-radar players because they’ve been doing well? 
It’s a good question. I think both are true. The gameplay evolves every season and yet each season is still its own thing. I think it’s extremely unlikely that game play will start to dissipate. We just finished “Survivor 46” with some of the most ruthless, cunning, exciting, dangerous gameplay we’ve ever seen in a season. It led to more blindsides and unplayed idols in the history of the show. 

I can’t say this loudly enough to future players. If you play to not lose, you will never win. Today’s jury will not reward cowardice. You have to play to win, knowing it may mean you lose. It sounds like an oxymoron but it’s not. And to take it one step further, when you give yourself permission to lose, it frees you up to see opportunities that allow you to play to win.  

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
On 6/13/2024 at 8:48 AM, tv echo said:

‘Survivor’: CBS Planning “Year-Long” Celebration For Season 50
By Peter White   June 11, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/06/survivor-cbs-season-50-1235970491/ 

I don't know what the status is going to be for the Paramount+ app, but it'd be cool if they did some specials on there leading up to the 50th season (if not directly on CBS), and I'd love to hear from some of the really old-era castaways.  50 seasons is a big milestone, but the show will have been on 26 years on top of that so that's a huge accomplishment too, considering many didn't think Survivor would make it 5 years.

• Like 1