Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Breadstix

Cranberry

I don't think it was a point of contention until Mash-up when viewers started saying but I thought Santana had already been outed in "Rumors."  At least Santana, Tina, and Mercedes all thought she had been even if Santana was able to mitigate the damage by going back to Karofsky.  At the very least that info was public so it was weird that it was being treated as brand new information.

As someone who's been a Brittana shipper and a Santana stan since the start of season 2, no one on my side of the fandom ever thought Brittany outed Santana. And the buzz during the summer after season 2 was how they were going to handle Santana's coming out arc. "Sex isn't dating". Everyone knew Santana and Brittany were having sex, they just didn't know they were in love and in a relationship. When I say "coming out" that's what I'm talking about. Not coming out that she and Brittany hook up. Coming out that she and Brittany are together and that Santana is gay.

Of the parents we've met only Mike and Brittany (technically Quinn at the start) have parents married to each other. The rest are all single moms, and Glee never gives the moms any credit!

As far as we know, Santana's parents are still married too. Maribel had on a wedding ring in 608, and they were definitely still married in 322. Santana's dad is referenced in their locker scene after graduation. We just never got to see him on screen.

As far as we know, Santana's parents are still married too. Maribel had on a wedding ring in 608, and they were definitely still married in 322. Santana's dad is referenced in their locker scene after graduation. We just never got to see him on screen.

I assumed they'd divorced/he'd died between 322 and 608, Maribel might still wear her ring. Either way they didn't bother to mention why her father was absent from her wedding.

I assumed they'd divorced/he'd died between 322 and 608, Maribel might still wear her ring. Either way they didn't bother to mention why her father was absent from her wedding.

He was there. You can see him in background shots, sitting at the family table next to Maribel. They just never cast him on screen, because I guess TPTB never felt it necessary for us to meet him. Just because we, as the audience, were never introduced, doesn't mean he wasn't there. The same can be said for Brittany's sister. Or Rachel's dads before we met them. Or any of the other parents or siblings.

Edited by Ceeg

If you are going by the assumption that because we don't see Santanas father they must be divorced how can you assume Mikes parents are still together. Rachel's fathers were together until this season.I really wish ,as much as I love who they casted as her fathers, that hadn't stunt casted Rachel's dads. It was wword that we didnt see them at her graduation or Broadway debut.

• Love 1

If you are going by the assumption that because we don't see Santanas father they must be divorced how can you assume Mikes parents are still together. Rachel's fathers were together until this season.I really wish ,as much as I love who they casted as her fathers, that hadn't stunt casted Rachel's dads. It was wword that we didnt see them at her graduation or Broadway debut.

I thought he wasn't at the wedding. He'd have to be dead or have a really crappy relationship with Santana or her mom to miss that.

I think they dropped the ball on not seeing more of Rachel's dads.    I think they could have added to several story lines for Rachel and others tbh.   But the scenes they did have were great.

For all of the complaints that RM tended to give the hero edit to white straight males (and he did) there is little discussion that he also often used white straight males as representative of bigots that need to be taught a lesson. Gay men and lesbians can be as bigoted as they want to be and it is treated as "dark humor" (see some of the things both Brittany and Santana have said over the years). White straight males, however, routinely need to say something stupid and have it be treated as serious, so Glee can get its heavy-handed PSA on. Finn and Will were used in this capacity more than once.

The only exception I can think of to this is in Choke, when they used Mercedes, Tina, and Santana to be the cads for their domestic violence PSA. In that case, it actually might have been more fitting to use a straight male. At least we got a great version of Shake It Out from it.

The only exception I can think of to this is in Choke, when they used Mercedes, Tina, and Santana to be the cads for their domestic violence PSA. In that case, it actually might have been more fitting to use a straight male. At least we got a great version of Shake It Out from it.

They used Sugar and Brittany too. Not that it makes anything better. I mean who thought, 'I know who needs lectured about domestic violence, women, especially women of colour'?

That is a pretty low bar but I agree it was the best they did up until everything became about Kurt.  Some of that was understandable but it was a bridge too far when, not only was Burt's speech and Finn's song dedication about Kurt, but Carole's speech was about how she was proud of Finn for how he relates to Kurt.  I think if they had Carole focus on Finn in her speech without bringing Kurt into it (much like Burt focused on Kurt without bringing Finn into it in his) I wouldn't have rolled my eyes so dang hard.  

• Love 7

Very true.  I should also say that the Kurt focus in the wedding led me to assume that the dynamics in the combined Hummel-Hudson home were that Kurt was clearly the favorite.  I know we didn't really see a lot of their home life so I could be wrong, but unfortunately that episode left me with the impression that they weren't going to treat the boys equally. 

Edited by camussie

Very true.  I should also say that the Kurt focus in the wedding led me to assume that the dynamics in the combined Hummel-Hudson home were that Kurt was clearly the favorite.  I know we didn't really see a lot of their home life so I could be wrong but unfortunately that wedding left me with the impression that they weren't going to treat the boys equally.

Do you really think given the acting choices we'd seen from Romy and Cory and Mike and Chris in the portrayal of Carol and Finn's and Burt and Kurt's relationships that they were trying to convey a dynamic where poor pathetic Finn was going to be neglected and ignored in favor of the wonderful and darling favorite Kurt? And if the actors weren't actively trying to convey that, why would you deliberately create a head canon where your favorite was being treated crappy?

• Love 1

Very true.  I should also say that the Kurt focus in the wedding led me to assume that the dynamics in the combined Hummel-Hudson home were that Kurt was clearly the favorite.  I know we didn't really see a lot of their home life so I could be wrong but unfortunately that wedding left me with the impression that they weren't going to treat the boys equally.

To me they really seemed to put Finn and Kurt into a very set older/younger brother relationship almost right away. Which is strange given they were the same age. Kurt did seem to be treated as the younger, not necessarily the favourite, but certainly more needing of parenting. Whereas Finn was cast as the older responsible brother who had to take care of his sibling and let mom and dad do that too.

If anything, the show seemed to  imply that Kurt and Finn made a fairly seamless transition as "brothers" once Burt/Carole got married.    By the "Breakup" their scene together conveyed a lot of love and closeness to me.

If anything, the show seemed to  imply that Kurt and Finn made a fairly seamless transition as "brothers" once Burt/Carole got married.    By the "Breakup" their scene together conveyed a lot of love and closeness to me.

I always found it too seamless. They went from this awkward Kurt had a crush, Finn couldn't handle it, to okay with each other, to brothers, without any problems.

Do you really think given the acting choices we'd seen from Romy and Cory and Mike and Chris in the portrayal of Carol and Finn's and Burt and Kurt's relationships that they were trying to convey a dynamic where poor pathetic Finn was going to be neglected and ignored in favor of the wonderful and darling favorite Kurt? And if the actors weren't actively trying to convey that, why would you deliberately create a head canon where your favorite was being treated crappy?

It wasn't the acting at all. It was the focus on Kurt in the writing gave me that impression.  Both at the wedding and also at McKinley where Burt ripped into Finn for not watching out for Kurt as if it was Finn's job to do so.  Never once asking has this been happening to you too (it had been).  All of that on top of how each learned about their new living situation in "Theatricality" (where Kurt got the courtesy of being told by himself where as Finn got it sprung on him).  Then there was how Kurt knew Burt/Carole had been dating a while and Finn only found out when Carole started getting rid of furniture and Finn asked what was going on.  All of those things built up to give me the impression that Burt/Carole cared more about Kurt's feelings than Finn's.

To be clear I never thought Finn would be neglected or horribly mistreated, rather if push came to shove Kurt's feelings would take precedence over Finn's.  And this wasn't head-cannon that came out of nowhere. It was an impression based on a series of events from Home through Furt.  An impression that unfortunately never really was counter-acted because there was such little focus on the Hummel/Hudson home after "Furt."

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I dunno the time investment that Carole and Burt showed in the fucked up " Finn and Rachel want to get married" Season 3 SL, where Kurt didn't even factor ,( ie there was fan debate why he wasn't even present in the family  dinner with the Berry Dads), certainly didn't give me the impression that Burt/Carole were ignoring Finn at all.

I seem to recall Kurt resenting Burt bonding with Finn with  "guy" stuff to offset back with the "Pink House" musical number in S2  so if we want to go off with more head canon one could say Burt continued to bond with Finn over sports and stuff after he married Carole. 

If we want to go that route.

Edited by caracas1914

The actors were fine, the writing was ridiculous. I mean, even though Kurt got way less focus long after, that episode is why I believe a lot of fans latched onto the Kurt-as-RIB-golden-child character theory. Seriously, the praise just went on and on and on. Rachel gets smoke blown up her ass all the time, but they spread it out more, that episode was just too much at the same time.

Finn didn't even get mentioned at the wedding, except in relation to Kurt. That was cringe-worthy.

Most of the time the writers seemed to forget that Finn and Kurt were stepbrothers though...it was mostly just one of them with the parents. Missed opportunity (one of oh so many) by the writers.

• Love 3

I never understood why people thought Kurt should be at a family dinner, at they Berry's house, focused on Finn & Rachel's engagement especially since the parents were conspiring to end the engagement.  To me that was an let's get the parents together dinner.  Siblings don't usually go to those type of things.

Also I never said that Finn would be neglected.  I said that my impression was Kurt was the favorite meaning that if push came to shove Kurt's feelings would take precedence over Finn's.  I think  the clearest example of that was in "Furt" with Burt ripping into Finn for not protecting Kurt and then not ever bothering to ask have you been bullied as well?

Most of the time the writers seemed to forget that Finn and Kurt were stepbrothers though...it was mostly just one of them with the parents. Missed opportunity (one of oh so many) by the writers.

After the wedding there were very few Kurt/Finn scenes.  It was too bad too because I liked the actors' dynamic even as I disliked some of the writing.  

Edited by camussie

I always found it too seamless. They went from this awkward Kurt had a crush, Finn couldn't handle it, to okay with each other, to brothers, without any problems.

Frankly I found it creepy that Kurt manipulated their parents together so he could spend more time with his crush considering that they spent all that time together in Glee anyway. I wouldn't want to share a room with someone like that at all. Then they tried to sell it as Finn being homophobic to bypass Kurt's weird obsessive behaviour.

• Love 3

From the fandom thread:

The role of Finn required far more auditions to cast than any other. Cory was much bigger and older than Darren, but his intuitive brilliance made Finn a teenager, while early Blaine seemed like an undercover narc.

Blaine has never looked, sounded or acted like a teenager. Even when he's being immature it's never felt like a teen who has yet to mature, but a grown up acting out.

I think it's because they brought Blaine in as the older, wiser friend, then made him younger. He ended up looking and sounding like a thirty year old in a teenagers body.

Rachel comes to visit Finn in Burt's garage. Finn tells her he's working to earn money for college. Immediately thereafter, Kurt walks in and Burt complains he only shows up when he needs something. The timing and script couldn't have made the intention of the writers any plainer. "The greatest father in the world" my ass.

Well there is that as well.  My impression was that Kurt's college was going to be paid for while Finn was going to have to find a way to pay for his.  Still, I think that is understandable because I assumed Burt had set up a college fund for Kurt from the time he was a baby (which is how Kurt was able to take off for New York without any sort of job lined up) while Carole never did the same for Finn.  Makes sense given that their economic circumstances were very different.  At least if we go by the cars each drove.  Kurt - a Cadillac Escalade.  Finn - a beat up old truck. 

Edited by camussie
I think  the clearest example of that was in "Furt" with Burt ripping into Finn for not protecting Kurt and then not ever bothering to ask have you been bullied as well?

Well it wasn't just Burt.  The other students also judged Finn harshly for not being there for Kurt, with Sam, Mike and even Artie playing the

"hero" role that per the SL Finn should have.

It was stupid but it was part of the whole fucked up Kurt is being bullied SL that was pumped up to Nth degree.

True it wasn't just Burt.  Rachel and the rest doing that bugged me too.  It just bugged me more with Burt because he was an adult who should have looked past those stereotypes and not assumed it was Finn's job to protect Kurt. 

Edited by camussie

Different strokes because to me because it was his son Kurt that was endangered that Burt lashed out at Finn.

He even literally pinned Karofsky against a wall when he found out what happened.

Hell he even lashed out  at Kurt in S6 "Bashed" when he was again scared that Kurt could have been hurt.

Maybe I could understand it in the moment but that is something he should have gone back and apologized to Finn about.  He never did so it seems to me he really did believe it was Finn's job to protect Kurt.  Writing that unfortunately played into the very stereotypes that  RM thought he was combating with his heavy handed PSAs

Well there is that as well.  My impression was that Kurt's college was going to be paid for while Finn was going to have to find a way to pay for his.  Still, I think that is understandable because I assumed Burt had set up a college fund for Kurt from the time he was a baby (which is how Kurt was able to take off for New York without any sort of job lined up) while Carole never did the same for Finn.  Makes sense given that their economic circumstances were very different.  At least if we go by the cars each drove.  Kurt - a Cadillac Escalade.  Finn - a beat up old truck.

I think this is more a desire to see Finn as some sort of martyr than the fact that Burt Hummel was going to send his biological son of to an expensive college while Finn trolled soup kitchens for dinner and homeless shelters for clothing.

Finn was so stupid that as a 16 year old he thought he got his girlfriend pregnant by sitting in a hot tub with her. I don't think it was finances keeping Finn out of college. I thought the implication was if he couldn't get a football scholarship he couldn't go to college because his grades were bad.

The writing was clunky in Furt but I don't think the aim of the writing, directing or acting was to make sure the viewers understood that if push came to shove Kurt's interests would always take precedence over Finn's. That's wanting to see Finn as the poor, put upon, unfairly abused woobie. I get that you do see it that if push came to shove Kurt's interests would always take precedence over Finn's, but that's as much a failure of the acting as it is the writing and directing, especially if no one wanted that to be the impression.

I think this is more a desire to see Finn as some sort of martyr than the fact that Burt Hummel was going to send his biological son of to an expensive college while Finn trolled soup kitchens for dinner and homeless shelters for clothing.

No I think it comes from Finn directly saying he was saving money for college while there was never an implication that Kurt needed to do the same.  There was also Kurt being able to go to New York with no prospects and then take what as presumably an unpaid or very low paid internship.  Given that there had to be some sort of money saved for Kurt's post high school plans. 

Also you are both exaggerating and making assumptions about my opinion.  I never said anything close to Finn was going to have to troll soup kitchens.  Just that he was going to have to find a way to pay for college.  I also never said I think it was wrong that Finn would have to do that because I don't.  Burt/Carole got married when the boys were juniors, long after a college fund should have been set up for Finn.  Burt couldn't retroactively go back and do so.  That means college had to be paid for some other way - and from what Finn clearly said that other way was going to include money he saved up.  

Finally no one said finances kept Finn out of college.  When he finally decided on a future he was able to afford to go to college.  Probably through a combination of the money he saved up and some loans.  His grades also weren't a factor because according to the show he had a B+ average by the time he graduated.  He didn't go to college directly because he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life.  

The writing was clunky in Furt but I don't think the aim of the writing, directing or acting was to make sure the viewers understood that if push came to shove Kurt's interests would always take precedence over Finn's. That's wanting to see Finn as the poor, put upon, unfairly abused woobie.

Who said that was the aim of the writing?  As with many things on Glee, I doubt it was meant to come across that way but it still came across that way to me and many others.  And no it isn't something I simply pulled out of my backside.  I gave examples of where my impression came from.  I don't think people's opinions should be dismissed as having no basis at all in what was on screen because of who they are a fan of.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

No I think it comes from Finn directly saying he was saving money for college while there was never an implication that Kurt needed to do the same.  There was also Kurt being able to go to New York with no prospects and then take what as presumably an unpaid or very low paid internship.  Given that there had to be some sort of money saved for Kurt's post high school plans.  AS I posted before that makes sense to me as Burt/Kurt obviously had money so I think it is a fair assumption to make that Burt, being the responsible parent he was, set up a college fund.  

Also you are both exaggerating and making assumptions about my opinion.  I never said anything close to Finn was going to have to troll soup kitchens.  Just that he was going to have to find a way to pay for college.  I also never said I think it was wrong that Finn would have to do that because I don't.  Burt/Carole got married when the boys were juniors, long after a college fund should have been set up for Finn.  Burt couldn't retroactively go back and do so.  That means college had to be paid for some other way - and from what Finn clearly said that other way was going to include money he saved up.  

Finally no one said finances kept Finn out of college.  When he finally decided on a future he was able to afford to go to college.  Probably through a combination of the money he saved up and some loans.  His grades also weren't a factor because according to the show he had a B+ average by the time he graduated.  IOW neither money nor grades were reason he didn't go to college directly after high school.  Rather he didn't go to college directly because he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life.  

Who said that was the aim of the writing?  As with many things on Glee, I doubt it was meant to come across that way but it still came across that way to me and many others.  And no it isn't something I simply pulled out of backside.  I gave examples of where my impression came from.  I don't think people's opinions should be dismissed as having no basis at all in what was on screen because of who they are a fan of.

But what you're saying is the scene wasn't written to convey that Kurt would be favored over Finn and it wasn't directed to convey that Kurt would be favored over Finn and that it wasn't acted to convey that Kurt would be favored over Finn but you still think Burt and Carol will favor Kurt over Finn because if what you viewed. What's the point of watching writing, directing and acting scenes if you're going to take as truth within the show concepts that were never intended in that way?

I think the implication that Kurt was the favored son was an unfortunate side effect of the heavy handed writing across several episodes, starting with "Home."  I doubt RM & team wanted people to see that in those scenes but that was one takeaway (but not the only one) for more some viewers.  That is why I say it wasn't an aim of the writing.  I really doubt the writers said let's write scenes that give the impression Kurt is the favored son.  Rather I think they said let's sit down and write this PSA and they did so in such a heavy handed fashion that the family dynamics of the Hummel/Hudson home came across as skewed to some viewers.

It certainly wasn't the first time, nor the last, that RM and team misfired on their writing. Take this season.  It seems they expect us to see that Rachel is on a journey of learning from her mistakes yet I haven't seen that at all.  For that matter take RM's planned Finn/Rachel ending.  It seems like he expected viewers to see that as a fitting and wonderful conclusion to their story and as someone who liked both characters individually and also liked the couple I have said over and over that planned ending was crap for them as a couple and for them as individual characters.

I mean it is even debatable that often what RM and team intended to say through the writing did not come across and/or what came across  was not intended?  I bet we can all name  at least 10 stories off the top of our heads where that is the case.  

Edited by camussie

Who said that [Finn as a modern Cinderfella] was the aim of the writing?

I did, and I stand by the assertion. But wait, wait, I have another tale to tell about Mr.H.

Scene: Hummel's redecorated basement w/Burt, Kurt, Finn, and "faggy".

Burt excoriates Finn, while Kurt watches mortified. (One of CC's best performances, along with the attic scene with Finn, for whom he expressed more unspoken love than he ever did with Blaine. Ditto with Rachel. Go figure. But I digress.) Finn leaves. Burt tells Kurt how proud he is of what he has done, then, clearly averting his eyes from Kurt for the remainder of the scene, puts his hand on Kurt's shoulder and exits stage rear. Those acting choices were purposeful. The story being told is that Hummel père had been a tad hypocritical in his sanctimonious grandstanding. For fellow Gleeks abroad, when Burt can win a Federal House seat as an independent in a small Ohio town with Will as his campaign manager, Karofsky can go trans and become Queen of England.

Well I stand by my contention that the impression that Kurt was the favored son was an unfortunate side affect of Glee being way too heavyhanded in writing its PSAs.   Nothing more.  Nothing less.

The over-the-top marriage vow focus on Kurt made me wince because they could so easily have been balanced out with both parents saying something nice about both kids. Looking back, those wedding vows were a taste of what was to come with so much of the writing for Kurt, and the other characters too of course. A bit of easy talk instead of actual narrative agency or involvement.

It was a big deal for Finn to dance with Kurt at the wedding and I think him deciding to do that, on his own, would have made for a much more meaningful and authentic story. Instead, we had the Glee writers, as per usual, doing their exaggerated 'straw man' characterisation rather than tell an honest story, re-treading a trope they actually put to bed in S1's Theatricality. Finn had Kurt's back - when he was *allowed* to. And Kurt himself did fuck-all to draw attention in the wedding. So I found it frustrating on all sides.

I wasn't part of Glee fandom in S1, but I looked back through the treads and was quite shocked by some of the commentary around the infamous 'faggy' exchange. There was a distinct vein of homophobia running through the commentary against Kurt that rose predictably on TWoP every single time the character did anything the least bit 'questionable.' Certainly not from all posters, or even a majority of them, but the same voices would always pipe up the same refrain. 

I found the notion of Kurt as a predatory anything utter bollocks. Tiny, naive Kurt wearing his heart on a very exaggerated sleeve versus the ginormous Frankenteen who we first met as one of the leaders of that ring of arseholes cornering Kurt to toss him like trash. The whole set-up was so ludicrous, and so obviously ludicrous, this Rolling Stone cover encapsulates it. Kurt's scheming was about as realistic and threatening as anything from the average tween.

2dm8755.jpg

That basement exchange was so heavy-handed and unfair to both Finn and Kurt, it changed the whole tenor of what came before. The all-too-familiar pattern of Glee and its wild variations in tone, where everything is a 'joke' until it isn't. 

Edited by heyerchick

It wasn't the acting at all. It was the focus on Kurt in the writing gave me that impression.  Both at the wedding and also at McKinley where Burt ripped into Finn for not watching out for Kurt as if it was Finn's job to do so.  Never once asking has this been happening to you too (it had been).  All of that on top of how each learned about their new living situation in "Theatricality" (where Kurt got the courtesy of being told by himself where as Finn got it sprung on him).  Then there was how Kurt knew Burt/Carole had been dating a while and Finn only found out when Carole started getting rid of furniture and Finn asked what was going on.  All of those things built up to give me the impression that Burt/Carole cared more about Kurt's feelings than Finn's.

To be clear I never thought Finn would be neglected or horribly mistreated, rather if push came to shove Kurt's feelings would take precedence over Finn's.  And this wasn't head-cannon that came out of nowhere. It was an impression based on a series of events from Home through Furt.  An impression that unfortunately never really was counter-acted because there was such little focus on the Hummel/Hudson home after "Furt."

Kurt is my second fav after Mercedes and I love Finn, but I agree with this. But I don't think it had anything to do with them loving Kurt more than they love Finn. I think it had to do with them believe that Kurt needed their protection, their attention and their support more than Finn. I think they saw Kurt as the child they needed to protect and being overly-concern with because they knew/know that the outside world was going to be cruel to him just because of who he was. They believed they were his unconditional safe-haven, because they couldn't do anything to make the world a better, safer place for him, except to give him all the love, attention and support they can in order to balance out what he would be facing out there.

Finn, in the other hand seems to be an type of child the world was built to love. He was the all-american boy, who played America's favorite foot-ball player. They assumed the world would be kinder to him and would actually embrace him, instead of rejecting him, like they would with Kurt. Unlike Kurt, Finn seems/appears to able to handle anything that will be throw his way and keep it moving. So they didn't feel like he needed them as much. But when he did, they would be there for him just like they would for Kurt. But if it came down to hurting his feelings or hurting Kurt's, Kurt would win.

I don't think it would be done intentionally  on their part but something that came out because of their real fear for Kurt's safety, emotionally and physically.  

I was feeling nostalgic and was watching old episodes or in some cases parts of episodes and was watching the Christmas episode from season 3. The scene where Finn gives Rachel the star named Finn Hudson went from sweet if cheesy to really ,really sad.

On Sunday afternoons a local station replays 2 back to back episodes of Glee.  Yesterday the Sue Sylvester Shuffle was one of them, and damn, I had forgotten about how much chemistry Puck & Rachel had - their rendition of "Need You Now" was sexy and sweet at the same time.  And, I'd never noticed before, but Beiste is mouthing along to the words at the beginning - too cute!

• Love 1

I do think Burt spoiled Kurt badly, I mean an Escalade for a 16 year old? 

Not really when you consider that Kurt did work in the garage after school, so it wasn't as if Kurt was just being showered with expensive presents. And Burt was quick to take Kurt's truck away when he thought that Kurt needed to be punished for something (though finding Kurt's tiara question was a silly rational).

Not really when you consider that Kurt did work in the garage after school, so it wasn't as if Kurt was just being showered with expensive presents. And Burt was quick to take Kurt's truck away when he thought that Kurt needed to be punished for something (though finding Kurt's tiara question was a silly rational).

Dude, an Escalada for a 16-year old, is spoiling by any sensible definition.  That's an $80,000 car!  No after school job covers that =).

• Love 6

This season has been IMO nothing more than give the fans EVERYTHING they DON'T want and see how many stick around, it felt like some weird experiment they were conducting. Unfortunately, the experiment wasn't successful. Those who wanted to see Mercedes got pissed at how much they belittled her character and made her so OOC to push Rachel's story line that they tuned out. Those who thought Sam could be a "leading man" if he got stuck with Rachel were probably a little happy because he got some more singing, a little more screen time, but in getting that he also lost his voice and became nothing more than the next puppet prop in the Rachel Berry story line. Now they are complaining because their hopeful "leading man" has been sidelined for Jesse. I find it rather karma like when those same fans were screaming and TRYING to trend "Respect Sam Evans" when he was with Mercedes (most of us know why) but when they have Sue completely mind fucked him so he could get with Rachel or when Rachel actually did just dismiss him like he actually was nothing more than a penis to ride to get her back into the flow of dating not one peep about "Respect Sam Evans". But guess who is screaming now that the writers suck, that Sam was just used for Rachel, and one of the best is now he won't have a happy ending (that one is because they think he might end up with Mercedes, a character they just hate).

Poor Artie absolutely nothing this season for him. After the craziness of the whole love triangle of Karofsky/Blaine/Kurt there has been little for them after the wedding. Quinn and Puck got REALLY nothing. Tina is still used as their punch line to some very unfunny jokes. Santana/Brittany faired pretty well at least they escaped the fate of being another prop for Rachel.

So once more nothing but lies rolled off the tongue of Ryan Murphy. I saw nothing this 6th season that showed "arts in school" is important, nor did I see any concentration on the original members. Every thing was ALL ABOUT Rachel ALL OF THE TIME.  I guess none of the staff really gave a shit cause it seems some of the crew and writers will be joining Ryan on Scream Queens so they know they had job security.

But what gets me the most is why would the show NOT want to go out on a better note. If episodes 12 and 13 are good some will appreciate the ending but nothing can make up for the horrible way they got to the end. Plus I think there won't be enough time to give anyone proper closure. When the show could have actually probably started with episode 9 to start doing a proper send off for all of its characters. Right now the foundation has been laid for Rachel and Rachel alone. A side way throw away line about Blaine getting into NYU will set up the return of him and Kurt to NY. I guess we'll have to just figure out that Artie didn't get expelled after so much time spent away from school cause he was in Lima doing absolutely nothing. I guess Santana has school and Brittany her web series. Tina I take it is still at Brown and on the hunt for a man. Quinn is still in school and Puck still in the Air Force. Mercedes is still recording but where is the Grammy she always wanted. Rachel can get a Tony I wonder if Mercedes will get anything she truly dreamed of. Sam I take it will stay in Lima and coach the football team, with the possibility of going to college since he was such an advocate for Rachel to go back.

All in all very disappointing season. I haven't watched any of the episodes (caught some stuff on Tumblr & YouTube)  but even I might be turning on my television and catching the last 2. Maybe Glee got it right and those 2 will be the ones that most fans will walk away remembering and talking about. Because there is NO WAY I would spend my money to buy the DVD or buy any of these songs on ITunes from this season.

• Love 2

I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, so I'm putting it here and in the media thread, but Netflix has season 5 of Glee up now.  I watched Previously Unaired Christmas Special and I liked it because it was amazing to see Rachel, Santana and Kurt acting like friends and just being silly together.  There's a scene where Santana and Rachel are drunkenly snuggled(nonsexually) on the couch talking about how much fun they would have if Santana moved to NY and I was sad for all of the wacky hijinks the writers screwed us out of (seriously I'd totally watch the 3 of them traveling cross country in a van solving mysteries a la the Scooby Gang) 

• Love 5

I'm fine with any of them going into teaching because I think it is a profession that is just as noble as performing on stage.  Unfortunately, despite what RM waxes poetically about, he doesn't seem to view it the same way.  Here is what I posted in the "We Built this Glee club" episode thread.

That was something that really bugged me in this episode.  It seems like Will, was the one who finally took the time to connect with these kids but it was Rachel and to a lesser degree Kurt who got credit for inspiring them.  My eyes about rolled out of my head when Kurt told Rachel that they had inspired these kids.  I was like when did that happen?  Not two weeks ago Rachel was talking about how she barely knew them and now she is their inspiration?

That is also why I think for all of RM's blather about the importance of arts education he is full of it.  If we go by this season being an inspirational coach doesn't require any unique talents or even commitment.  As long as you are a talented performer you will be inspirational no matter how little you invest in the kids you are coaching.  Meanwhile those who aren't special enough to be on stage teach because teaching is a fallback profession that doesn't really require any unique talents.  Really RM's writing is the epitome of that horrid idea of "those who can't do, teach"

How I wish Rachel's parting word to Will in the finale would be something like "Being here at McKinley gave me what I needed to get my life back on track but I realized through this experience that I don't have what it takes to be the kind of teacher every kids needs.  I have always appreciated what you did for all of us but after trying your sweater vests on for size I now truly realize how special it is what you have done for all us and will continue to do for the all of those who are lucky enough to spend time in this choir room."

It would be a nice way to acknowledge that those who excel at teaching are just as uniquely talented as those who were born to be on stage.

Edited by camussie

That was something that really bugged me in this episode.  It seems like Will, was the one who finally took the time to connect with these kids but it was Rachel and to a lesser degree Kurt who got credit for inspiring them.  My eyes about rolled out of my head when Kurt told Rachel that they had inspired these kids.  I was like when did that happen?  Not two weeks ago Rachel was talking about how she barely knew them and now she is their inspiration?

Just on this point, Will was always more involved on a personal level, and that's what he asked of Rachel and Kurt as well, but I thought, this works for Will but maybe it doesn't for somebody else. We saw briefly way back in Homecoming how Rachel mentored Jane, then we saw Kurt critique the twins. It would've been nice to have more such scenes, but RIB seem to think once they show something, it's a given and doesn't need follow-through. I think such scenes were needed especially for Rachel, since reviving the Glee Club seemed to be set as her story of rediscovering the love of art vs love of stardom -- this is where the ball was majorly dropped imo. What I found refreshing this time around was the attitude of the new kids. The twins, Jane, new gay and Roderick (re Kitty) seemed even appreciating the tough love-type of mentoring, I guess they found it more motivating. 

Edited by fakeempress