Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't understand the comparison with the Stetson from Justified at all.  Canned frosting and corn nuts will continue to trump, of course.  Kakes of kultural insensitivity, baby!

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

Aunt Sandy's Kwanza Cake episode should be shown once a year on April Fool's Day.  I remember thinking, "Is she serious, or is this a joke?"  My favorite line: "Be generous with the icing -- you can always make more."  NO!

• Love 1

More stew today with grits and cherry type chocolate cake....much like she made for her dad in the previous episode he was in....oh and blistered  green beans....can't forget those.

My favorite was the teaser intro to the show when Ree waxed mysterious about her "secret ingredient" for the green beans. My mind, "I'll bet it's soy sauce." Ding! Ding! Ding!

The kicker was when she was adding this run-of-the-mill condiment to the pan, she proclaimed, "Soy sauce doesn't add any flavor." The hell! I think soy sauce has a very pronounced flavor, not to mention, all the extra sodium it adds.

Both Ina and Giada have made their own versions of that beef burgundy stew dinner. I think Ina probably served hers with some type of cheesy mashed potatoes and Giada with cheesy polenta. Yawn.

I never noticed before how much Ree looks like her dad, even down to the "red" hair.  Was it just me, or did Patsy have a bad case of the "whistling s's" when she spoke?

Yes. I am testy today. It's like 107 here in KCMO and it's only mid-June. So, a heavy meal didn't look very appealing at all.  Now get off my (burned) lawn! LOL!

• Love 2

"Soy sauce doesn't add any flavor." 

So why add it then.  Just to have a "secret ingredient" to wow us?  And as grisgris said, it certainly does have a pronounced flavor plus tons of sodium.  

And it's not much of a secret.  There are a load of recipes out there with soy in blistered green beans.  She's just hopeless.

(edited)

The kicker was when she was adding this run-of-the-mill condiment to the pan, she proclaimed, "Soy sauce doesn't add any flavor." The hell! I think soy sauce has a very pronounced flavor, not to mention, all the extra sodium it adds.

I was dying laughing at that, too.  Complex flavor from the fermentation process, salt, and all the natural MSG-ish compounds (if you use better soy sauce) that enhance flavor.  The beans are a really odd pairing with beef burgundy.  

Her beef burgundy looked fine, and I'm kind of glad she didn't deviate too much like adding jalapenos or chili powder.  I'd leave the celery out, and I'd never garnish with bacon because there shouldn't be a pronounced, bacon-y flavor.  I always make Julia Child's version and go with her advice to make it a day or two ahead and reheat the night you want to serve it.  It really is better made ahead.  

I think I'm just not a fan of maraschino cherries unless they're in a Manhattan and completely soaked in good whiskey.  Otherwise, yuck.  So the cake...yuck.

Good for her dad, though, on 45 years in medicine.  That is a lengthy run as a surgeon.  

Edited by anneofcleves

IMHO, "Well Done, Dad" was a warm and thoughtful tribute to a father she thinks the world of, and if I didn't find the food to be what I might prepare, the episode was still one of my favorites.  I had to hand it to Ree.  If her father refused all offers of a party, she would do a show.

Ree claims that beef stew is one of her dad's favorite meals.  The green beans (served hot or cold) looked and sounded terrible to me, but I don't live in Oklahoma and have never tasted them.  As for the soy sauce, Ree uses the low-sodium variety, and she didn't drown the beans in it.  There is soy sauce in that old Thanksgiving green bean casserole, and I never taste the soy sauce either.  I hope if she ever makes this meal for me, she'll omit the green beans, drop the grits and forget about the maraschino cherries, PLEASE.

I enjoyed the moment when Ree banged her car into the porch steps. It was fun seeing Dr. Smith's tidy house and then watching Ree's filthy car pull up to the entrance!  Ree and Patsy sure outdid each other with the compliments. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

I'll bet the doc never expected to see his golf swings on national television!  Most of all, the episode made me miss my own dad all the more and made me wish I could have put his golf swings on TV. 

The thing that irked me the most about this episode wasn't the food. Maybe I missed an explanation, but why didn't she just invite her dad and stepmother to her house? I get that he didn't want to make a big deal about retiring and didn't want a party but it just seemed like a lot of trouble to haul the dinner to their house and have to reheat. And it's not like it was a surprise with showing Patsy setting the table and wondering what Ree was bringing. Also where was Ladd? I'd have thought he would have gone to his father in laws retirement dinner. Seemed strange for him not to go. I don't know why this show annoys me so much but yet I have to watch! 

(edited)

Today my DVR caught the first (I think?) Ladd's birthday episode where Ree made Chicken Parmigiana.

Given what we've seen of her sauces lately I had to laugh that it contained 3 cans of crushed tomatuhs (ugh), onions, sugar, salt, pepper and parsley. It made me wonder what happened between 2012 and now when those ingredients are only 1/10th of her sauce recipe.

Maybe she still makes her parmigiana that way and she only dumps everything else and the kitchen sink in her marinara. LOL

ETA: Today's DVR repeat was the Rancher's dinner where Ree tries to justify all the butter by saying it just works out to 1 tablespoon per person...... per dish..... There was the twice baked potatoes the butter slathered corn casserole and butter drowned beef tenderloin. My arteries closed up while I was watching! Yikes

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

I don't watch this show much, but had to comment on the way Ree can talk and smile at the same time.  Always amazed by that.

I don't like the texture of ricotta cheese.  Too mushy.  I use cottage cheese in my lasagna, and after reading the comments here, I would agree that mine is pretty basic!

• Love 1

I don't watch this show much, but had to comment on the way Ree can talk and smile at the same time.

A combination of bad facelift and lots of botox = Crazy Clown Face.

• Love 6
(edited)

Question floating around my cranium for a long time:  Are Ladd's parents divorced?  Every time Ree goes to his dad's house, she says, "This is Chuck's house."  I don't think I've ever heard Ree say, "This is where Chuck and Nan live."  I began to wonder whether her in-laws were one of those rare couples who can't fall out of love but can't stand to live with each other.  I wonder whether anyone else has noticed this or whether something was said on the show that I missed.

Edited by Lura

I miss the smirking, neon-haired one when she has no new shows.  For some inexplicable reason I want to see her smirking her way through a demonstration of stomping out flaming cow poop and then rapidly returning to the Lodge to whip up a 16-minute version of Cowboy Ramen Noodles. 

• Love 2

Ree is the biggest fame whore ever! Now you have dad and stepmom buying your cheap Walmart crap. Is it me or did her dad move into another house? It does not look like the house on the golf course

I don't know where the old Ree went.  I followed her blog years and years ago.  The kids were little.  Her food was straight forward family meals.  I used to get great ideas from those recipes.  Now, her recipes are unrecognizable.

• Love 2

How many renditions of lemonade has this woman done on her show? An episode on now has raspberry lemonade and I know she has done blueberry and limeade at least once. That's something you show once and then explain how to translate that to other flavors and citrus.

Also, her doughnuts are really flat, even after frying. There's no puffing up at all.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Automne said:

Also, her doughnuts are really flat, even after frying. There's no puffing up at all.

Agree. Even the holes were deflated.

My mom used to make the best doughnuts ever using her mother's recipe so we're talking a recipe from like, 1900 LOL.  The ingredients were much different and I believe there was a touch of nutmeg in there.  Even when the dough was rolled out it was thicker and cake-ier than Ree's.  My job was to take the cooled down doughnuts and shake them in a brown paper bag filled with cinnamon sugar.  Delicious!

• Love 2

As per the discussion of Ree pretending she helps out with the physical labor of the ranch, I find it unnecessary for her to do so. If you're the one always cooking food for the brood and crew, no shame in not helping out, especially if you're just going to be a nuisance and in the way like Ree often is. But then again, when you are a ranch housewife and don't help out with the heavy labor, then there's no excuse for Ree's brand of half-assed cooking. Her youngest child is 11 and her oldest is in college. Her only job is cooking and taking over-processed photos. She should be channeling real pioneer women: cooking from scratch, utilizing a lush garden to its fullest, and practicing that Midwestern frugality by not destroying an expensive cut of meat by drowning it in marinade and using it in quesadillas. I mean, if it was leftover ribeye that was a couple of days old, then yeah, repurpose it. But quesadillas shouldn't be the purpose of buying ribeyes.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yawn ... more cilantro, lime and soy sauce. I'm surprised Ree didn't add sriracha to the pan sauce. I didn't think that dousing white Minute Rice with lime sounded very appetizing. I just imagined a puddle of acidic watery lime juice gushing around the plate.

Another gender-specific pasta and vegetable meal. Paige needs to lay off the heavy eye makeup. Not a good look on her for such a young age and starting way too young to have folks saying, "You look like your mother."

We've seen Greek before, too.

Another meh show and I still don't think the 16-minute concept is funny. Also, why didn't she time herself during this episode?

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 2

I also meant to add how awful today's collection of "floaty tops" was. With the hair and makeup (as it is), Ree would look so much better in simple button down tops in solid colors.  I think that Ree and Paige must have just come back from a visit to the cosmetics counter and an overly zealous saleslady applied their makeup because I noticed Ree was rocking a new shade of eye shadow, which wasn't that bad if it weren't for the heavy black eyeliner and mascara. Paige looked like she was wearing false eyelashes. Just back away from the Urban Decay. (See, I made a rhyme, too, just like Ree did today!) /eyeroll

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, grisgris said:

I also meant to add how awful today's collection of "floaty tops" was. With the hair and makeup (as it is), Ree would look so much better in simple button down tops in solid colors.  I think that Ree and Paige must have just come back from a visit to the cosmetics counter and an overly zealous saleslady applied their makeup because I noticed Ree was rocking a new shade of eye shadow, which wasn't that bad if it weren't for the heavy black eyeliner and mascara. Paige looked like she was wearing false eyelashes. Just back away from the Urban Decay. (See, I made a rhyme, too, just like Ree did today!) /eyeroll

I noticed the eyelashes, too. I blame the Kardashians for all the young girls thinking they need to look like a caterpillar is resting on their eyelids. 

Paige has started dyeing her hair, like mom. Thankfully she's gone for Texas College Student Blonde rather than Clown Red like mom's.

ETA - why why why add sugar to the salad dressing? Honestly, Ree, not everything in the world needs sugar. Savory is a thing. So is umami. If you want sweet, skip the salad and have another dessert. 

Yawn, chicken on skewers. 

Re tahini: "It's basically a sesame paste." No, not basically, it IS sesame paste. 

And I'll say it again, it's mercanTILE, like tile on your floor. They're all wrong. Also, it's redundant to say "mercantile store."

She needs a mandoline. 

OK, if the tomatoes go in with the zucchini noodles, they're not sauce. This is now a sort-of ratatouille. Or a warm salad.

Edited by txvoodoo
adding stuff.
  • Love 4

OK. I also noticed Paige's hair and thought it looked like it was a different color and very dried out.  Is it just me, but I'm picking up a faint vibe that our girl Paige might turn out to be the Drummond "outlier wild child" that we've been dreaming of.  I know we were leaning towards Bryce becoming a gay vegetarian designer, but I'm now putting my money on Paige. LOL!

Happy Fourth of July! May your cow patties not get blown up along with the mortars in the pasture.

• Love 5
On July 2, 2016 at 8:09 PM, anneofcleves said:

Another 16 minute meal (with one hour of clean up).  I'd rather a PB & J, or a bowl of popcorn, if I'm that pressed for time.

This! When Ree & Paige were making the pasta dish, there was one pot for the sauce, one pot to cook the pasta and one pot for boiling the peas. If you had to preheat the peas, why not just heat them up in the same pot as the pasta water? Or, better yet, add the cooked noodles to the pot with the sauce, throw the peas in and let it all warm up together. That's one less pot to dirty. 

The use of minute rice made me miss Aunt Sandy. Then again, Auntie Sandy would have probably advocated going to Chipotle to buy the cilantro lime rice to use in the recipe.

If you had to preheat the peas, why not just heat them up in the same pot as the pasta water?

Or they could have just nuked 'em. It's one of the main things microwaves are good for. It mystifies me why they never use them on cooking shows, although Ina does occasionally.

But the pioneers don't have such fripperies as a microwave.  I'm surprised she isn't splitting her own wood to cook things on a wood stove to keep up the fake persona.

If I'm doing frozen peas with pasta, I put the peas in the colander then pour the pasta and boiling water over them to drain. 

Could you post 10 or 15 pictures of that?  Like a spoon in the peas, a close up of the colander, and the steam rising from the pasta water.  

I bet ClownFace will steal that one and do a whole webpage about it!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Could you post 10 or 15 pictures of that?  Like a spoon in the peas, a close up of the colander, and the steam rising from the pasta water.  

I agree.  Not sure I completely understand the concept.

• Love 2

The last thing I looked at on her site was Key Lime Pie. The simplest thing in the world to make, right? She must have had forty pictures of the limes, the graham crackers, the butter, the lime zest, the lime juice, the condensed milk, on and on and on. Jeez, just list the friggin ingredients dumbass, we know how to assemble it.

• Love 2

Chicken!  Legs, breasts, and thighs, oh my!

Ladd:  Wow.  Aside from skill with his rubber snake (stop thinking what I know you're thinking!) who knew he'd be a stand up comic?  He's the best thing on the show.  But Ladd, honey, yer a college educated fella.  "Paige, has yer horse even been rode in a couple years?"  You can do a little better than that.  

Ree:  "I'm always looking for ways to get ahead."  Yeah, based on the lack of originality of any of her (plagiarized) recipes I'd say that's the understatement of the century.  She did surprise me a little by saying that all the pot pie needed was a green salad.  Two years ago she would have said that it would be best served with a glorious helping of her cheesy scalloped potatoes and an individual ice cream sundae served in a flower pot.

I just shake my head at recipes like slow cooker chicken and broccoli.  I know there are people who are such huge fans of slow cooking, but it's chicken and broccoli.  It's not supposed to be slow-cooked.  You took 5 hours of fussing and mussing to cook something that, in a wok or a skillet, would have taken 15 minutes.  Or perhaps SIXTEEN, if you used boil in bag rice.  Someone put me out of my misery so I will not be compelled to watch this stupid show anymore.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Chicken!  Legs, breasts, and thighs, oh my!

Ladd:  Wow.  Aside from skill with his rubber snake (stop thinking what I know you're thinking!) who knew he'd be a stand up comic?  He's the best thing on the show.  But Ladd, honey, yer a college educated fella.  "Paige, has yer horse even been rode in a couple years?"  You can do a little better than that.  

Ree:  "I'm always looking for ways to get ahead."  Yeah, based on the lack of originality of any of her (plagiarized) recipes I'd say that's the understatement of the century.  She did surprise me a little by saying that all the pot pie needed was a green salad.  Two years ago she would have said that it would be best served with a glorious helping of her cheesy scalloped potatoes and an individual ice cream sundae served in a flower pot.

I just shake my head at recipes like slow cooker chicken and broccoli.  I know there are people who are such huge fans of slow cooking, but it's chicken and broccoli.  It's not supposed to be slow-cooked.  You took 5 hours of fussing and mussing to cook something that, in a wok or a skillet, would have taken 15 minutes.  Or perhaps SIXTEEN, if you used boil in bag rice.  Someone put me out of my misery so I will not be compelled to watch this stupid show anymore.

I agree...more and more re-done chicken recipes...pot pies etc..same recipes just in 100 different ways.

(edited)

I find it interesting that her "introduction" to her tired old recipes now includes a fast showing of what's needed to complete the recipe. Not sure why she feels the need to do that except that she's fascinated by the Hello Fresh and Blue Apron ideas. That's probably also why this is the second episode in this cycle that includes a meal kit. LOL

I picture her sitting on the couch with Ladd and wishing she'd thought up that idea before they did.

I agree the segments with Ladd and the kids are growing on me. I'm not a fan of the family in general really (or even the show clearly) but when you see them in their "natural environment" for want of a better term they seem a bit more real. As opposed to the fakeness that comes across to me most of time.

Edited by SanLynn

BWAH! HA! HA! Thanks anneofcleves for the heads-up on Ladd. What a cut-up. Har! Har! Har! "Think I'll go downtown to my office 'n put my feet up." /rimshot (Actually, when they were trying to do the FN website promo during the commercial break, I started to wonder if he'd knocked back a few before filming began. He was in rare form today.)

It's sad but true. Ladd's on-camera presence has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. Remember how awkward and camera-shy he was in the beginning? OTOH, Ree has remained stuck or seemingly gotten worse.

OK. Here's my take on today's episode. I would have just thrown all those miscellaneous chicken pieces in the oven and roasted them then incorporated them into three of my "roasted chicken" line-up casualties. I mean Ree showed several dishes she makes using roasted chicken. So.... why bother with the poaching (er .. "boiling") and that Crockpot mess.

I thought the reason why you poached chicken to make chicken pot pie or chicken noodle soup, or whatever was so that you'd have the broth. So Ree boiled her chicken, then used stock-from-a-box.

I don't understand what the purpose was for cooking the rest of the chicken in a Crockpot. I was at least comforted to see that she didn't throw the vegetables in at the beginning. That would have been a sulphuric cesspool when that broccoli disintegrated. Was that supposed to be an Asian-inspired dish? Anymore, sriracha (I know, not specifically Asian) and soy sauce go into every single thing she makes anymore. Yes. I agree. That was a time for stir-fry.

I thought one of the main hallmarks of Caesar salad was romaine lettuce. That was just another kale salad with chicken and Caesar dressing.

I also don't get this "meal kit" nonsense. Prepping ingredients to future use isn't rocket science and not some cutting-edge idea. I do that all the time, but I don't take up space in my refrigerator by placing everything on a sheet pan. It's not that difficult to look into different sections of my fridge and and grab whatever I need. Seriously?  Yes. I do think she's kicking herself with her expensive cow-pattie encrusted boots for not capitalizing on that idea herself.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, grisgris said:

BWAH! HA! HA! Thanks anneofcleves for the heads-up on Ladd. What a cut-up. Har! Har! Har! "Think I'll go downtown to my office 'n put my feet up." /rimshot (Actually, when they were trying to do the FN website promo during the commercial break, I started to wonder if he'd knocked back a few before filming began. He was in rare form today.)

It's sad but true. Ladd's on-camera presence has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. Remember how awkward and camera-shy he was in the beginning? OTOH, Ree has remained stuck or seemingly gotten worse.

OK. Here's my take on today's episode. I would have just thrown all those miscellaneous chicken pieces in the oven and roasted them then incorporated them into three of my "roasted chicken" line-up casualties. I mean Ree showed several dishes she makes using roasted chicken. So.... why bother with the poaching (er .. "boiling") and that Crockpot mess.

I thought the reason why you poached chicken to make chicken pot pie or chicken noodle soup, or whatever was so that you'd have the broth. So Ree boiled her chicken, then used stock-from-a-box.

I don't understand what the purpose was for cooking the rest of the chicken in a Crockpot. I was at least comforted to see that she didn't throw the vegetables in at the beginning. That would have been a sulphuric cesspool when that broccoli disintegrated. Was that supposed to be an Asian-inspired dish? Anymore, sriracha (I know, not specifically Asian) and soy sauce go into every single thing she makes anymore. Yes. I agree. That was a time for stir-fry.

I thought one of the main hallmarks of Caesar salad was romaine lettuce. That was just another kale salad with chicken and Caesar dressing.

I also don't get this "meal kit" nonsense. Prepping ingredients to future use isn't rocket science and not some cutting-edge idea. I do that all the time, but I don't take up space in my refrigerator by placing everything on a sheet pan. It's not that difficult to look into different sections of my fridge and and grab whatever I need. Seriously?  Yes. I do think she's kicking herself with her expensive cow-pattie encrusted boots for not capitalizing on that idea herself.

Sulphuric cesspool.  LOL!

• Love 1
(edited)

Re: Today's episode -- "High Tea" on the Prairie

I kept picking up that there was some type of shout-out in today's show, but I wasn't sure quite what, other sledgehammer approach to reach out and connect with the "common folk." Enough of the "we're just lil' ol' slack-jawed, wide-eyed hicks from Oklahoma in NEW YORK CITY!"  All that was missing were the guys from the Pace salsa commercial.

C'mon. GMAFB. Ree may not be a frequent flyer to Manhattan, but she's no stranger either. I know she must have to go to the Big Apple for meet with her publisher as well as appear on FN specials. Hasn't she also been a guest on some of the morning news/talk shows to shill her latest cookbook or Wally World merchandise?

All of the food looked meh. but as Ree said, she couldn't find none of them fancy-dancy ingredients in backwoods Pawhuska, so she had to improvise. Not that embellishments are going to vastly improve the flavor of deli ham, but the one-two punch of hot sauce and pepper jack cheese was going to erase every bit of essence as well as clash with the leeks in the mini-quiche filling. But in her huffily-delivered defense, Ree rubber-stamped the substitutions with, "We're country girls. We'll eat anything." Now we know.

Also, hasn't Ree made those donut-muffins before? I swear she made a full muffin-sized version of them and said that she got the recipe from her high school French teacher.

The lacy chocolate thingie looked like something Aunt Sandy would have made except she would have hers out of brown hot glue and used them on the tablescape. Chocolately-sweet hot chocolate didn't look or sound like a good accompaniment to that spread.

I suppose it was a nice mother-daughter event, but what are they going to do with the leftovers? What's not eaten will get soggy, and as they pointed out, the menfolk wouldn't touch them offerins' with a 10-foot pole.

The awkward filler conversation at the end of the show was cringeworthy. Why were Paige's THs while driving the truck so much better?

I get the feeling that once Paige is freed from the shackles of ranch life that there's no turning back and we'll never see her again. Go, Paige, go!

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 2

This reminds me of last week's chicken episode where she added wine to the chicken pie, but in earlier episodes she said her family does not like wine. So Why put it in Ree?  And what is the difference between chicken pie and chicken pot pie? She made them both pretty much the same way or she thinks the  audience is stupid and won't catch on.

• Love 2

I watched her Church Potluck episode yesterday. The 7 layer salad. The dressing was mayo, sour cream and sugar...I literally gagged.

Shows from back in 2012, where her hair was darker seemed so much more natural..I cannot take 16 versions of the same recipe anymore.

• Love 2
(edited)

My question is how is that an afternoon tea if they aren't having tea??  And they had no other beverage on the table.  Who could eat the veggie cream cheese finger sandwich or leek-ham quiche with HOT CHOCOLATE to wash it down??  Not even a glass of water (with her typical lemon slices) to be found.  I didn't see a single thing that they were eating that would be complimented by hot chocolate.  And her hot chocolate looked way too sweet for me.  Diabetes in a cup.

Edited by tabloidlover
found one other thing to bitch about
  • Love 5