Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On August 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Totale said:

I read this board religiously and haven't watched an actual episode in years.  I feel the few episodes I have seen have taught me all I need to know to follow along here.  If you want to cut more useless FN watching time out of your life, at this point the same strategy works for Chopped.

Amen, honey!!

On August 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Diane said:

The Pawuska population is 3,666. Jeeez how many people daily does she think that she is going to have shopping there. Not to make fun, but I live in Tulsa and I can't imagine that a small town like that can support a store of that size. She's nuts.

I bet it is killing her that the Fixer Upper Gaines are raking it in at their silos in Waco. I hear that they have about 20,000 visitors a week and I believe it. Church groups visit in the bus loads. They say the weekends are a nightmare. So maybe PW thinks folks will travel from surrounding states. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

I bet we see a PW Hotel or some other sort of accomodations at maybe another one of the buildings that need work complete with lodge/ranch tours and "cooking" classes.

All I can think of is the comedy that was Julia at times (I adore her).

"And this is how you scoop the sour cream out of the cotainer" and then you hear the gloop hit the floor..

Today's episode: "Cooking with Canines"

I pinky-swear promise that I will never ever complain again about having kids, Ladd, Hyacinth, Cowboy Josh, etc., on the show with Ree. Today's show with the dogs was just too much. Sure, it's fine to show an occasional shot or two of Walter and Charlies, but hell, it was in every friggin' scene, Ree had to make some remark to them, then follow up with the dogs' stupid speech bubbles. (I don't like basset hounds anyway because they slobber so much.) It also made me wonder what kind of table scraps she must feed them.

Otherwise, the food was just the usual. Asian fare flavored with ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil. Here we go again with crowning roasting food as "sheet pan suppers." The she pulled the "Aunt Sandy" but immediately cutting into the pork and the juices went a-gushin'!

Now, I was interested in the preparation of the cauliflower pizza crust. I've been interested to try it. Otherwise, it looked like way too much time and trouble. I think I'll just wait for Trader Joe's (or somebody else) to come out with a pre-made version! LOL! (You know that coming ... if it already hasn't.) My thoughts were that what you were giving up with the carbs was more than compensated for by adding extra fat in the form of cheese to the cauliflower. I guess that if you need to eat low-carb for a specific health condition, it would be OK, but if you were doing so solely for the purpose of weight loss, it seemed counter-intuitive. But, I have never followed a low-carb diet, so I could be totally off-base here.

Has anybody else made it at home?

I hope that Charlie and Walter got extra SAG pay for what they had to put up with today.

• Love 2

gris gris, I've made the cauliflower crust pizza and really disliked it.  I had a bunch of cauliflower to use up and thought I'd give it a try.  I thought it was way too much work, and the texture was not good (imo).  I believe mine turned out as well as it could, too, because I followed the advice of a friend and made sure most of the water was out of it and that it was pressed very thin.  My daughter liked it.  Maybe it was just me.

More importantly, AoC, did your dog approve of it?  Hee!

That is good to know.  I'm not going to try to make it. There are too many other yummy things you can do with cauliflower that are far less time/labor-intensive.

I am thinking about trying it too. My husband is diabetic so I'm always looking for new ideas to cut the starch. I usually use brown rice or quinoa pasta, but it would be nice to try something else. It does seem like the key is to make sure you get as much water out of the cauliflower as you can. If I do try it though, I'll have to make sure my husband doesn't know what it is. He'll just assume that it will be gross, and that will be that.

Whenever I find myself getting a little too chatty with my cat, she gives me a look like, "bitch, please ..." LOL!

That was just a weak sauce excuse for a theme for a show. We get it. Ree obviously wasn't thrilled to get nudged out of her comfort zone to try to appease some "fans." She made that clear when she pointed out how low/no-carb wouldn't fly at home because of all of the hard labor the family does, she wed a meat-lovin' cattle farmin' MAN, etc., etc.

Anybody can figure out that a meal consisting of a protein and vegetables is going to be low-carb, sheet pan wizardry aside.  It goes without saying that if you want something a little more imaginative -- look elsewhere!

• Love 3

I saw a bit of a rerun today that had me yelling at the TV (not uncommon with this twit's show). She said she was going to "dice up" [sic] a zucchini, then proceeded to quarter it lengthwise and cut it into at least 1-inch chunks. Even despite FN trying for years to get me to give it up, I still have a belief that if you have a cooking show, you should be able to teach the viewers something about cooking. Say, that a dice is not more than an inch square. But what am I thinking, I believe she was actually "teaching" us to use canned pie filling later in the episode.

• Love 1

HELP, HELP, HELP, PLEASE!!!   THIS IS WAY OFF TOPIC, BUT I DO NEED you, WHOMEVER YOU ARE.

WHAT DOES THE WORD TOGGLE MEAN (IN TERMS OF THE COMPUTER)?  Up there, on the top of the first page, it tells us that we can't do various things unless we fill out the form, and the form has little squares indicating whether you want to toggle a show or whether not.  I have spent three weeks trying to figure out what toggle means!  I've searched everywhere -- questions, mentors, fellow members, the dictionary, you name it.   Not one stroke of luck.  If anyone can tell me what toggle means, or what it will do if I click it, I will be so, so grateful!  Thanks a million to anybody who has the kindness to stop here and try to help!  THANK YOU!

Hi Lura. What are you trying to do?

If you are trying to customize your homepage, if you click on the + to the right side of the horizontal column for each letter of the alphabet, you will get a drop-down menu of all of the forums that have titles starting with that letter (e.g. Under "P" you'd find "Pioneer Woman." Click on all of the forums you want to appear on your homepage. After you have made your selections, click on the red - and that will close the drop-down menu.

Then you go through the listings letter by letter and select your forums. When you are finished, at the bottom of the page there is a save button. Click on that and your selections will be saved.

The next and all other times you open PTV, you'll just see a list of the forums you regularly follow. I just did it. Pretty nifty and you don't have to see a bunch of bright red words for shows/forums you aren't interested in.

In the since of the word, "toggle" simply means going back and forth between screens -- either left/right, or in the case, up/down. In visual terms, think of it like a toggle bar or teeter-totter.

As far as filling out a form, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Anyway, hope that helps.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:36 PM, Queasy-bo said:

I am thinking about trying it too. My husband is diabetic so I'm always looking for new ideas to cut the starch. I usually use brown rice or quinoa pasta, but it would be nice to try something else. It does seem like the key is to make sure you get as much water out of the cauliflower as you can. If I do try it though, I'll have to make sure my husband doesn't know what it is. He'll just assume that it will be gross, and that will be that.

I make it all the time! I buy the frozen riced organic cauliflower at Trader Joe's. I always make my own marinara (irish/italian from Brooklyn) but crust wise...make sure you take the cauliflower whether it s fresh or frozen and squeeze the hell out of it in a dish towel much like you would frozen spinach...it IS essential to get the excess water out. flavor it with lots of herb, parm, freh basil, s&p, ...whatever you wish...pre back it until the edges are light brown and crisp and then top it and run it under the broiler for a quick spell...

It can be VERY tasty..its all in what you put in the crust....the more  you flavor the crust, the less like cauliflower it tastes ..but it is low carb and quite good!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

My husband walked through the room while she was making the cauliflower crust and said  "she's just making shit up now, no way is she preparing that for her family"  I laughed so hard....

Really? my husband likes it...but then again he eats what I cook! ha!

I had Gastric Bypass in 2001 so i've been doing it for a long time......

I've learned to disregard the food nonsense on this show.  Other things bothered me today...

Daughter and friend are sent to go get balloons for the birthday party.   On the ride back, daughter drones "do you think they'll like their balloons?" and "what color do think they'll like best?".   WTF are those inane musings - I'd rather see them driving in silence then those brain dead questions.  The other thing is that they sent the females for the balloons - leave the "silly" stuff for the girls.  No way would other son (name?) be sent for something as unmasculine as balloons.  

Then they show the boyos play basketball, shoot pool and shoot rifles.  MANLY!  We've seen the Drummond girls do ranch chores, like roping cows, etc. but this episode just bothered me.  Why couldn't they be shown playing hoops, pool and shootin'?   I guess this was a half-assed feminist rant.  I will go rest now...

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, patty1h said:

Daughter and friend are sent to go get balloons for the birthday party.   On the ride back, daughter drones "do you think they'll like their balloons?" and "what color do think they'll like best?".   WTF are those inane musings - I'd rather see them driving in silence then those brain dead questions.  The other thing is that they sent the females for the balloons - leave the "silly" stuff for the girls.  No way would other son (name?) be sent for something as unmasculine as balloons.  

Those ridiculous conversations are SO fake and stilted. They really annoy me too. And there seems to be at least one of those dumb sequences in every episode.

• Love 3

Something certainly was shaking the earth today in Oklahoma, but it wasn't today's episode of "Pioneer Woman."

My thoughts were that the teenaged boy (I already forgot his name) normally wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with his squirt junior cousin on his 17th birthday.  I'm sure that Mom and Dad and bribed him well with the promise of a separate "cool" party once the cameras stopped rolling. Same for Paige. Five years isn't that big of a gap in the grand scheme of things, but when you're 17 and 12, well, yes is it.

We've seen those recipes before. Numerous. Times I guess it was the birthday boy's fault for requesting them. (Right.) 

Please don't ever have an episode with just Missy and Ree in the kitchen. It was a toss-up to see who was more ill-at-ease in front of the camera. I think I'd rather listen to the drive-along prattle about balloons.

I think Ree was secretly hoping that whoever was supervising the shooting would load some blanks into "cousin's" gun so that Todd would win the shoot-off. Ha. Ha.   It seems like these shows are becoming more and more filler and less and less actual cooking. That's fine with me.

On a positive note, I really liked Missy's house. Now that's the way to do elegant middle-of-nowhere.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, autumnh said:

Birthday Bash today and look! more pulled pork and baked beans *meh*

No originality.

I think she's done confetti cake before,too.  BTW, given the gender stereotypes that run rampant in this clan, I call total BS on a 12 year old boy wanting a 3-tier confetti cake with fluffy white icing (topped with more sprinkles) on his birthday.  I'm not buying that one.

She had a pretty good thing going with the the pulled pork, with the nice rub that she made.  And then, to my utter shock, she drowns it in two bottles of prepared BBQ sauce.  Mind-boggling.

• Love 2

I just tried to watch an entire episode of The Pioneer Woman for the first time and she is so annoying. Her voice and mannerisms are like nails on a chalkboard. On the episode this morning she was making meal kits and kept repeating "meal kits" so much while she was speaking I thought the show was nearly over. I checked the clock only to realize was there were 15 more minutes and I couldn't take it anymore. I remember reading here I think that she treats her kids differently or something when they've been on or she's spoken about them. I'm pretty sure it was her.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I remember reading here I think that she treats her kids differently or something when they've been on or she's spoken about them. I'm pretty sure it was her.

She claims that woman & men like different food.  Her husband, son & the men folk in her life will not eat what she considers "girly food" that she & her daughters like.

Edited by ariel
19 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Good grief - not even a cowboy cake but one with sprinkles AND pink candles mixed in with the "manly" other ones? I think one more bean recipe and I am done. Even for giggles.

All she needed was a good wedge salad with homemade ranch dressing....you know she ran out of the packet kind once lol...ugh)

• Love 1

Guys! I'm so excited! I just created a  meatloaf kit. I recently made Giada's turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes and then I always make a tomato-balsamic sauce. (Yummy!) Well, I discovered that after I ate part of the meatloaf, that I had room to tuck the container of sauce into the meatloaf pan!  Now, all I have to do is pull out the pan of leftover meatloaf and the sauce is right there with it! No sheet pan required. Goody gumdrops with sriracha and sprinkles on top!!

Hey there, Jaded! Yep. You've found the right place.

• Love 8

Not only was the conversation on the balloon buying excursion so fake, but they seriously discussed which balloon the boys would like better. A 12 year old and a 17 year old. Oh yes, I'm quite sure they will be fighting over that one with the animals on it. I'm surprised they didn't buy one with Sesame Street characters on it.

Homemade funfetti cake? Shocked she didn't use the boxed cake mix and frosting. Also I know she whisked the egg whites over hot water but all I could think about was frosting with raw eggs in it.

Pulled pork and baked beans. Wow. And yet she couldn't even be bothered to make her own bbq sauce. 

And of course even though it was a family birthday party, she invited that cow Hyacinth. I don't know what it is about that woman but she annoys me as much as Ree.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, grisgris said:

Guys! I'm so excited! I just created a  meatloaf kit. I recently made Giada's turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes and then I always make a tomato-balsamic sauce. (Yummy!) Well, I discovered that after I ate part of the meatloaf, that I had room to tuck the container of sauce into the meatloaf pan!  Now, all I have to do is pull out the pan of leftover meatloaf and the sauce is right there with it! No sheet pan required. Goody gumdrops with sriracha and sprinkles on top!!

I actually LOVE turkey meatloaf....but on a sheet pan! lol

AUTUMN H said:  I actually LOVE turkey meatloaf....but on a sheet pan! lol----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We had an urge for a new meatloaf. so we tried one that might even surpass my mom's.  It's an Italian-style meatloaf by Michael Chiarello.  Can't stand the man, but his meatloaf is outstanding, we thought.  Best of all, it's quick and easy.  The recipe calls for all ground beef, but we used ground meatloaf meat (1/3 lb. gr. beef, 1/3 lb. gr. pork, and 1/3 lb. gr. veal.)  We could hardly stop eating it!

Can it be long before "The Sprinkles Cookbook" hits the shelves?  I think Ree invested heavily in Sprinkles and is now counting on her "fans" to buy the book

5 hours ago, Lura said:

AUTUMN H said:  I actually LOVE turkey meatloaf....but on a sheet pan! lol----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We had an urge for a new meatloaf. so we tried one that might even surpass my mom's.  It's an Italian-style meatloaf by Michael Chiarello.  Can't stand the man, but his meatloaf is outstanding, we thought.  Best of all, it's quick and easy.  The recipe calls for all ground beef, but we used ground meatloaf meat (1/3 lb. gr. beef, 1/3 lb. gr. pork, and 1/3 lb. gr. veal.)  We could hardly stop eating it!

Can it be long before "The Sprinkles Cookbook" hits the shelves?  I think Ree invested heavily in Sprinkles and is now counting on her "fans" to buy the book

Oh goodness.....pretty soon there will be sprinkles on everything! lol

I feel the same way abut Chiarello...he just seems smug. My husband is fearful of the "loaf"....my mother in law was a lovely woman but her meatloaf was so dry and could cause a concussion if it it was dropped on someones head...I always mix mine with a fork so I don't over mix it there for it is lighter in texture...so much better...she would work that thing like she was giving a shiatsu (she'd say shitzu lol) massage...so compact and heavy lol

• Love 1

I actually bake my meatloaf in an actual loaf pan. This recipe by Giada includes sun dried tomatoes and feta, then the usual meatloaf ingredients. It's my favorite as it's lighter and not as greasy as traditional ground beef. When I was reading the viewer reviews on the FN site, somebody suggested making a reduction of tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar. That was a great suggestion and added just a little extra "oomph" because as we all know, ground turkey can be pretty bland.

I actually like Michael Chiarello and used to love watching "Easy Entertaining." I thought he offered some good cooking tips, but then, that's pretty easy when literally everything you'd possibly want to cook with was growing just an arm's length away out the back door! I tried one of his recipes for asparagus soup once and it was yummy! It's kind of like with Giada, I've read unfavorable things about him, his personality and personal life, too, but try to ignore them in deference to the food.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, grisgris said:

gris gris, next time could you slap that delicious-sounding meatloaf in your waffle iron and let me know how it works out?  My DD is heading back to college, and I'm thinking of additional things she can make in the assorted waffle irons I am sending with her!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lillybee said:

I just saw the rerun of her kit meal episode. Somehow, I got the feeling that she is going to try to compete with Blue Apron, any day now.

If she thought she could make a dent she absolutely would. I think she kicks herself for not thinking of that first every time she sees one of their commercials. LOL

Except for the fact that her fan base probably isn't located in major urban centres, which would make delivery of perishable foods more of a challenge.  Unless she has the cojones to ship the ingredients for Pawhuska Cheese Steaks (buns, deli roast beef, cheeze in a jar) or her Seven-Can Soup (seven cans of sodium-laden sludge).  

• Love 1

My husband asked me last night when "The Merc" would show up on hotels.com

I tell you....it's coming. She is going to milk this for everything it is worth. I am friends with Missy on FB and she is so low key compared to Ree....it's refreshing.

• Love 1
On 06/09/2016 at 8:31 PM, maggiemae said:

I clicked by today and saw her put sugar in a beef stew???? Is that a thing?

I've never seen or heard of this before.  OTOH, I have seen a teaspoon of sugar used when caramelizing onions.

• Love 1

I'm italian/irish raised in Brooklyn....I don't know anyone who doesn't use a bit of sugar.....it doesn't make it sweet and you dont even notice it.....I also use a tadof sugar when caramelizing onions especially once they're translucent

It's all in ones taste I suppose....some will grasp their pearls and appalled at it and for some of us...its just something we do....so what suits your taste!

On 8/14/2016 at 9:35 AM, grisgris said:

I think that what bugs me more is "the merc," said with smirk.

Doing a lot of catch up here! To me, when I hear "The Merc" I think of Deadpool, "The Merc with The Mouth." Pretty sure that's not the image Ree would like to conjure. :D 

On 8/14/2016 at 9:13 PM, Albino said:

What's really killing me now is she says "Next I'll just roll out the dough..." or "Next I'll just add Nutella to the jalapenos..." or "Next I'll just chop up some pecans...".  I could go on, believe me.  I first noticed it a few months ago, now I can't stop hearing it.  She must say it 20 times an episode.  Just stop! 

Also annoying (to these Northerner's ears) is she pronounces car-a-mel as car-mel.  I know the Caramel/Carmel controversy has been brewing for years but really...she doesn't even apologize.  Or...apol-gize.

Her justs have been bothering me since she started. I can't believe no one has said to her that they're annoying.

And I'm originally an Northerner,  I'm with you on the caramel thing. It's 3 syllables. But I won't get into the argument of "is it Cair-a-mel or is it Car-a-mel?" :)

On 8/17/2016 at 9:39 PM, Lura said:

To add to the confusion, there's-CARE- uh- mel,  and there's CAR-mul and there's also Car- MEL, California.  Poor Carmel hasn't been the same since Clint Eastwood was mayor, but it's still a cool place.

Pardon me for high expectations, but I watched (again) that stupido opening of the mercantile today, and I almost lost my lunch.  Ree was all high and mighty and wound up over it, as if it was the greatest event in Pawtuscan history. Ree was commentating outside, holding a mike, as if a superstar was about to appear through the doors.  The so-called crowd consisted of Ree. Edna Mae and somebody else.  Ree went "Yay!" in her tremulous voice, and the so-called crowd dispersed.

Oh, you went there! Cair is how I how I say it, with 3 syllables, as is correct. Because I say so! :)

On 8/23/2016 at 7:46 PM, Spunkygal said:

Amen, honey!!

I bet it is killing her that the Fixer Upper Gaines are raking it in at their silos in Waco. I hear that they have about 20,000 visitors a week and I believe it. Church groups visit in the bus loads. They say the weekends are a nightmare. So maybe PW thinks folks will travel from surrounding states. 

Add in, Waco has 130k population versus Pawhuska. AND, it's an easy day trip from Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin or San Antonio. Pawhuska has Tulsa, OK City and Wichita - not the same population draw.

On 8/29/2016 at 7:03 AM, autumnh said:

I make it all the time! I buy the frozen riced organic cauliflower at Trader Joe's. I always make my own marinara (irish/italian from Brooklyn) but crust wise...make sure you take the cauliflower whether it s fresh or frozen and squeeze the hell out of it in a dish towel much like you would frozen spinach...it IS essential to get the excess water out. flavor it with lots of herb, parm, freh basil, s&p, ...whatever you wish...pre back it until the edges are light brown and crisp and then top it and run it under the broiler for a quick spell...

It can be VERY tasty..its all in what you put in the crust....the more  you flavor the crust, the less like cauliflower it tastes ..but it is low carb and quite good!

I didn't know TJ had that! There's a reason for me to go. I'm diabetic, and try and do what I can to create low carb comfort food with little work. :)

On 9/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, txvoodoo said:

Doing a lot of catch up here! To me, when I hear "The Merc" I think of Deadpool, "The Merc with The Mouth." Pretty sure that's not the image Ree would like to conjure. :D 

Her justs have been bothering me since she started. I can't believe no one has said to her that they're annoying.

And I'm originally an Northerner,  I'm with you on the caramel thing. It's 3 syllables. But I won't get into the argument of "is it Cair-a-mel or is it Car-a-mel?" :)

Oh, you went there! Cair is how I how I say it, with 3 syllables, as is correct. Because I say so! :)

Add in, Waco has 130k population versus Pawhuska. AND, it's an easy day trip from Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin or San Antonio. Pawhuska has Tulsa, OK City and Wichita - not the same population draw.

I didn't know TJ had that! There's a reason for me to go. I'm diabetic, and try and do what I can to create low carb comfort food with little work. :)

The riced cauliflower is awesome...you can also used it in soup or make faux parmesan "bread" sticks with a nice marinara/pesto and some low fat cheese of your choice

For me Car-mull and Care-uh-mel mean different things... like it's car-mull corn and car-mull apples but a piece of candy is a care-a-mel. I realize this makes litle to no sense. I'm from Maryland.

The Merc also always makes me think of Deadpool.