Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Beyond The Tank: Episode 201

Barbara Corcoran offers advice to Grace and Lace co-founder Melissa Hinnant; Daymond John visits Matt Reed's upstate New York property to check on his smartly designed urban beehives; Lori Greiner checks in with Scrub Daddy creator Aaron Krause.

This show is... bad. Silly forced drama to make the sharks look like superhero business people? Is that what they think viewers want? 

Anyway, I half watched this episode as background noise and the only thing that was compelling enough to deserve a comment was a continuity quirk.

During Lori's sit down chat with Scrub Daddy Guy, she's looking at the Scrub Mommy sponge - which is their version of a two sided sponge - and points out that it should not be an even 50/50 split on the two sides, but should be 70/30. (Who'dathunk that current manufacturers thought that through already?) 

A few seconds later in the same scene she is magically holding a 70/30 sponge. Almost like the whole thing was contrived!

• Love 2

I realize most sponges are obviously manufactured out of synthetic materials, but hearing that the Scrub Daddy needed its own facility to develop said materials, and that these materials seemingly had to be kept away from other products being manufactured on the same grounds sort of makes me think twice about buying Scrub Daddy again in the future.

• Love 3

I'm glad I Dvr'd this, I would never have made it through the first part.  I don't know whether to give it a thumbs down or up.   The Grace and LAce segment was INTERMINABLE and oh, so sobby,  Yes, I'm very sorry when people suffer tragedies, but I really don't like having it be part of an extended commercial.  On the other hand, Matt Reed must be the nicest person to EVER appear on Shark Tank.  I'm not in a position to host a hive myself, but i will probably check his website and see if there is something I can buy, just to keep him in business.  Yeah, that was some tense negotiating about the scrub daddy material.

• Love 1

I fell asleep watching this last night, so granted, I didn't see the story resolve. At one point when Godsocks lady was crying for the 12th time about giving up design control or whatthehellever, I yelled at my TV, "They're just fucking leg warmers!"

Meanwhile for the rest of their lives, her other two kids are thinking, "I sure wish we were loved as much as that baby who died...OR AS MUCH AS SOCKS."

• Love 8

The Grace & Lace couple were on our local news last night and she was obviously pregnant again. The story didn't add anything new though. They talked a little more about the baby they lost and about the orphanages they've opened in India.

I enjoyed it.  What I was wondering about Scrub Daddy...if you're that confident in your business, why not invest in building your own facility to manufacture the product?  Wouldn't it ultimately be better to have control over the supply line that way?  And if there's no risk to your supplier, what's the risk to you?

• Love 2

I could not care less about Lori and her products. Sorry I feel that way; I just dislike her and she's never done anything to me, so I have no idea why. IMHO, she's insincere. I'd rather have Kevin mouthing off his true feelings all day long.

My favourite story here was not even a Shark Tank investment, but rather Daymond and his newfound love of honeybees. I'm so impressed with how involved he has become with that. It kind of reminded me of the little bow tie guy who he agreed to mentor. He's never asked for any more from him, but he's been there FOR him and really celebrates his successes. And how he told bee guy he'd help financially if he needed, but he sensed he didn't really need that, so he'd be there for him in an advisory capacity as well.

I'm beginning to wonder if Daymond is the most genuine and loveable of all the sharks... he's certainly my frontrunner right now.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 9

I guess I didn't understand the dilemma for Grace and Lace. Wouldn't she still have design approval? If so, she would just not approve designs that didn't represent her vision. Instead it became a huge drama point that might have, gasp, led to their business stagnating. They stated that she had interviewed 10 people-that just didn't seem like enough to cause a breakdown. Oh well. I think they are really nice and good people, but the drama was just too much.

Interesting about Cousin's Lobster and how those franchises have taken off. I, too, liked the bee guy and Daymond-that was a nice and informative segment.

I guess I didn't understand the dilemma for Grace and Lace. Wouldn't she still have design approval? If so, she would just not approve designs that didn't represent her vision. Instead it became a huge drama point that might have, gasp, led to their business stagnating. They stated that she had interviewed 10 people-that just didn't seem like enough to cause a breakdown. Oh well. I think they are really nice and good people, but the drama was just too much.

I got the feeling that the Grace & Lace girl was looking for her carbon clone bff to hire for her design team, but one that had professional design training. G&L is based out of Austin, TX. I'm guessing they were getting a lot of stellar applicants on paper, but ones that wasn't a sancto-mommy-Christian. That's why she was having trouble hiring someone on her own. The show couldn't really expand on that because you could tell they were trying to keep the overt religious overtones to a minimum.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 4

Ugh, not Godsocks again. I wish they wouldn't make them cry and tell the dead baby story over and over again - it's really starting to sound tasteless. Notice their warehouse was filled to the brim with boxes and inventory, no sign of knitting machines anywhere. I guess they can finally let go of the fiction that she made anything herself or even had it made in the US. I do like Barbara though. She talked some sense into sancto-mommy with tact and compassion.

• Love 3

I loved seeing Daymond with his bees!  What a cool hobby.   I like this show. 

Lori is making a huge mistake on introducing Scrub Mommy next.  I use Scrub Daddy and love them.  There is no need to have one with a softer side, none at all.  I would never buy that and I am a very satisfied customer.  Make a toilet brush!   Or something to clean something other than dishes and spills.  

To the Grace and Lace woman,  hire a design team for fuck sake.  You can nix a design if you don't like it.  Pay attention to what Barbara was saying, she knows a few things.  

• Love 3

All I got from the Grace and Lace segment is that Barbara is a really good mom. I know that because she told me she is. Seeing the way she contorts her face when she smiles at the camera, she's really developed her own persona for the show. It seems like everything she says has been rehearsed over and over. Kinda like Lori, but you'd expect that from the "QVC Queen".

Daymond on the other hand seems very natural. I like that he actually followed through and became a customer like he said he would. Beekeeping isn't exactly something you can just jump into.

As twee as I find urban beekeeping, I didn't hate the Bee Thinking guy when he first appeared, and I'm glad he's doing well now.  I do wonder why, if Daymond likes him so much, he doesn't find a way to invest anyway.

I don't know how real or fake the Scrub Daddy crisis was, but if it was real, I may be more impressed with Lori's business skills than I used to be.

I utterly lack any religious belief, but I try not to throw shade on those with them unless they're using them against me.  But the Godsock couple annoys the ever-loving crap out of me.  I totally walked away from their "difficulties" hiring people who don't exactly conform to their beliefs.

• Love 2