Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Season 35, ep 10: Do The Wrong Thing

Homer and Bart become kings of the blue-collar sports circuit, but Marge suspects something dishonest at the core of their father-son bond.

Airs 12/24/23

Yes, you read that right. There's a new episode on Christmas Eve, and it's not even a Christmas episode.

I think it's because there's not gonna be a new episode for a while.

And once again we have Homer (and Bart) taking the blame for something Marge did because she’s so pure and incorruptible and nothing is ever her own damn fault…and I can’t even type those words without throwing up in my mouth.

At least Lisa ripped her a new one for what she did but it wasn’t enough to satisfy me.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2

You'd think Homer would be good at fishing, since that seemed to define his character in the early days like bowling.

So Homer and Bart's bond is cheating at bottom of the barrel sports (like barrel scraping). I liked how Grady's ___ Gloves and Krusty Burger sponsored every sport.

And the entire plot was the show commenting on that college application cheating scandal. Marge was inspired to doctor Lisa's summer camp application because of Homer and Bart. And the University of Springfield Camp (USC!) was corrupt and didn't care. Eh. I did like that their Cheating Department was Sam Bankman-Fried Hall.

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And once again we have Homer (and Bart) taking the blame for something Marge did because she’s so pure and incorruptible and nothing is ever her own damn fault…and I can’t even type those words without throwing up in my mouth.

At least Lisa ripped her a new one for what she did but it wasn’t enough to satisfy me.

I thought of you during this whole episode.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I wonder if anyone knew there was a new episode. 

I liked all the sports and prizes. One was an easy chair from the rock skipping. They were so hilariously dumb. 

As soon as I saw the doctored photos of Lisa, I knew it was Marge. And I knew SpartanGirl would be stalking the living room with her Heisenberg hat on!

That is a long walk for a USC joke. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

As soon as I saw the doctored photos of Lisa, I knew it was Marge. And I knew SpartanGirl would be stalking the living room with her Heisenberg hat on!

I don’t have a Heisenberg hat lol.

What galls me is that Marge basically parroted Felicity Huffman’s bullshit excuse about how you aren’t a good parent unless you cheat for your kids, and yet the show expects us to feel sorry for her. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know about feel sorry versus excuse her culpability at the expense of Homer. 

When it comes to Marge, it’s both. Whenever she’s done something wrong, it’s almost always portrayed sympathetically, as something wrong done for “right” reasons because it’s all Homer or someone else’s fault anyway. 

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I wonder if anyone knew there was a new episode. 

Apparently FOX achieved their goal of at least getting people to not change the channel right away after the football postgame, because it did well.  I'm guessing they were worried about lower ad rates for the show because of all the times Krapopolis got that slot, so they did this.  But unlike with the times Krapopolis was on, I don't think they put this episode on early on the West Coast.  (It didn't matter to me anyway, because when they showed the episode early, I either waited 'til 8:30 anyway or watched on demand in between--which is apparently the broadcast from the Philadelphia affiliate.)

We're back!

Season 35 ep 11: Frinkenstein's Monster

Professor Frink secretly helps Homer land a high-level position at a state-of-the-art nuclear plant; since Homer lacks the skills to actually perform the job, Frink comes to fear he's created a monster.

Airs 2/18/24

(edited)

Had to pause this to note Homer reading Life in Helsinki (Matt Groening’s comic Life in Hell predated the Simpsons, I think.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Title: Angel Flanders, Devil Homer

Couch Gag: The family as leaves, they dry up and fall to the ground, and Willie blows them away.

Of course Homer only knows how to do his job is because Frink is just offscreen telling him how to do it. Frink was even in his ear at his home life. This was definitely a comment on ChatGPT, wasn't it? Homer just uses it to write dirty limericks.

Oh boy, a combo of Lisa's song and the more qualified person Homer took the job from ("You'll have to be more specific!" got a big laugh from me) got through to Marge to get Homer to tell the truth. I bet someone's gonna be thrilled about that last minute turn.

How far they've come: everyone in Moe's has an Emmy. Barney uses two for corn holders.

"This is the 691st time you've left us for another job." I liked yet another montage of all of Homer's jobs. It even included the one from this week, plus a future job as the Zardoz Head "coming in Season 49." They even referenced the dome from the movie! Also loved that Smithers has forms for how Homer's leaving the job, and another for when Homer inevitably comes back every week.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

"This is the 691st time you've left us for another job." I liked yet another montage of all of Homer's jobs. It even included the one from this week, plus a future job as the Zardoz Head "coming in Season 49." They even referenced the dome from the movie! Also loved that Smithers has forms for how Homer's leaving the job, and another for when Homer inevitably comes back every week.

The forms made me laugh too.

I know Lisa’s song was supposed to be a big deal because it was written by James Taylor, but I’m confused why she wrote it in the first place. Why was she so depressed this time? Did I miss something?

• Like 4

Maker's Moe was one of the bottles at the bar.

Homer's resume included owner of the Broncos. 

The show got it right though - Finland is good at nuclear. 

I think Lisa was just depressed because she knew everything was going to come crashing down again. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

(Matt Groening’s comic Life in Hell predated the Simpsons, I think.)

Sure did. The story goes that Matt doodled the Simpson family before his pitch meeting so he wouldn't sell the rights away to Life in Hell.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

It's been an ongoing thing with Shearer and Kavner for a while, but it feels like everyone is really starting to sound old on the show now, it's kind of sad. Maybe it's me, but I'm starting to hear the age in Dan's voice as well as Nancy's and Yeardley's. Only Hank Azaria's line readings still sound basically the same. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Homer's Resume

-- Astronaut
-- World Cup Referee
-- Mr. Plow
-- Toothpaste Cap Screwer
-- Owner, Denver Broncos
-- Captain, Springshield
-- Head Crossing Guard
-- Sanitation Commissioner
-- Newspaper Food Critic
-- Volunteer Fireman
-- Took Cannon Balls in Stomach
-- Hosted Cable Access Show
-- Member B-Sharps
-- Voice Actor
-- Carny
-- Fortune Cookie Writer
-- Manure Salesman
-- Town Crier
-- Mall Santa
-- Used Car Salesman
-- Krusty Impersonator
-- Stand-up Comedian
-- Springfield Women's Prison Guard
-- Roadie
-- Grease Collector
-- Prank Monkey
-- Fish Gutter
-- One Man Band

Loved that there are two Homer Simpson Forms in the Springfield Nuclear Plant HR dept-- one for leaving and one for returning.

The only thing that felt off about this episode was the 'Homer as enthusiastic go-getter 15 years ago at the nuclear power plant' back story -- that never happened.
Homer got the job at the nuclear power plant when they found out Marge was pregnant.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 5
On 2/18/2024 at 11:03 PM, Galileo908 said:

Sure did. The story goes that Matt doodled the Simpson family before his pitch meeting so he wouldn't sell the rights away to Life in Hell.

I'm pretty sure there's a very obscure reference in an old episode where Troy McClure says something about a "lazy cartoonist turning his rabbit family into humans for broader appeal" or something like that.

I rewound the couch gag five times, and I could swear Willie yells "Fock!"

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 2/18/2024 at 9:35 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think Lisa was just depressed because she knew everything was going to come crashing down again

But as we saw, Homer had a system for getting his job back so it’s all fine.

I’ve decided to give up “discussing” Marge for Lent, so if you’re wondering why I didn’t mention anything about her part, there’s your answer.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’ve decided to give up “discussing” Marge for Lent, so if ours wondering why I didn’t mention anything about her part, there’s your answer.

Might as well change that handle to St. Spartan Girl. 

• LOL 3
On 2/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I’ve decided to give up “discussing” Marge for Lent, so if you’re wondering why I didn’t mention anything about her part, there’s your answer.

I don't remember Marge doing or saying much in this episode. The real test is a Marge-centric episode. Stay strong. The rest of us can vent for you.

• LOL 3

Lisa's full of anxiety that stems for her parents. I feel seen, as the kids say.

It felt weird to see actual sponsors on the Go-karts. I caught Pokemon Go, Lunchables, and Pampers Pull-Ups on some of them.

Poor Yoshi. He really is the Milhouse of Mario Kart. All the car crashes were beautifully animated.

Matt Berry really does make everything better.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Lisa's full of anxiety that stems for her parents. I feel seen, as the kids say

I too wish there was at least one damn thing in my life that I can control—other than the way I react to everything, as the therapists say.

• Love 1

Crazy Cat Lady with the puppies was brilliant. And all the kids' sponsors - Pampers, Goldfish, Lunchables.

All the ee-tal-ee-an-o was killing me. Boof!

This was really good though. Lisa got some growth. 

39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I too wish there was at least one damn thing in my life that I can control—other than the way I react to everything, as the therapists say.

L. E. N. T. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, Spartan Girl said:

My least favourite character by far is Lisa, and I'm not giving up anything with respect to talking about her haha.

I always dislike the Lisa centric episodes.  I think it was obvious even before this episode that Lisa is the way she is because of her parents.  I thought it was completely out of character for normally hand-wringing Marge to support such a dangeous activity for Lisa

I did enjoy all the Mario Kart references.  The race itself was fun, I just don't like Lisa.

Season 35, ep 13: Clan of The Cave Mom

A parenting disagreement between Marge and Luann Van Houten escalates into a life-or-death struggle for survival.

Airs 3/24/24

Oh man, the animation style for the caveman bits was gorgeous. I thought it was gonna be the whole episode, but I did like that it was through Marge's imagination. It was 100% inspired by Primal. Some shots, like Caveman!Marge and Homer running, or Marge's dive at the big snake, were taken right from it.

4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Guys, I’m still on my Lent promise. I’m counting on you to cover for me about She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!

It was another "Luann calls Bart out for being a bad influence"/Marge is a bad parent by association plot and Marge gets real petty over it. And since Kirk and Homer do NOT want to get involved, Marge gets real petty over that, too.

Of course Kirk is in last place in the fantasy football league.

• Like 2
(edited)

I can’t lie, this one nearly broke me. Not even the caveman sequences helped because I know what they represented.

All I will say is that Luanne wasn’t wrong. Milhouse might be a dweeb, but sometimes having no friends is better than a toxic friend. And he could’ve still had a good time at the concert with the other kids had Bart not tried to manipulate Luanne into inviting him, then resorting to crocodile tears to get his way….nope, not saying more than that. 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

And another Marge episode is next week. I know Easter is technically the end of Lent, but I’m gonna keep my promise for that episode too.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I can’t lie, this one nearly broke me. Not even the caveman sequences helped because I know what they represented.

All I will say is that Luanne wasn’t wrong. Milhouse might be a dweeb, but sometimes having no friends is better than a toxic friend. And he could’ve still had a good time at the concert with the other kids had Bart not tried to manipulate Luanne into inviting him, then resorting to crocodile tears to get his way….nope, not saying more than that. 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

And another Marge episode is next week. I know Easter is technically the end of Lent, but I’m gonna keep my promise for that episode to.

When your Lenten promise is fulfilled, we expect a very long rant from you 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I liked the prehistoric animation and the callback in the museum. Did you guys think it was kind of Samurai Jack-like? Funny that prehistoric Homer was capable too. 

There was a picture of a dinosaur later in the kitchen later. 

58 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Guys, I’m still on my Lent promise.

I've put on my Heisenberg hat in solidarity. 

Bart is kind of a bad friend though. That's not Marge's fault. 

I came up in an era when everyone's parents were your parents too. If I came home and said someone's mom called me a jerk, my mother would say, 'why were you being a jerk then?' Maybe be a better friend and you don't get uninvited. I don't really get what she's protecting him from.  

I've been to events where you do have to have your tickets on the phone and can't print it out, but the paper Marge had, showed a q-card on it. So she could have still just ran that on the phone. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And another Marge episode is next week. I know Easter is technically the end of Lent, but I’m gonna keep my promise for that episode too.

The episode isn't on until April 7 because they're showing NASCAR in primetime next week.

The caveman animation looked fantastic. I am glad when they get to branch out with different animation styles. 

Poor Julie Kavner’s voice. I just want to give her tea with lemon and honey.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2024 at 10:35 AM, bettername2come said:

The caveman animation looked fantastic. I am glad when they get to branch out with different animation styles. 

I’d rather they just end the damn show.

Yeah, Lent’s over.

So I’m just going to say I could have forgiven a whole episode of Marge being a petty Karen if they had Cave Marge spare Wolf Lou Anne because she saw she own cub to protect, symbolizing that Marge realized that her shenanigans were hurting Milhouse.

But nooooooooo. All that is glossed over, Wolf LouAnne becomes her pet, literally eating out of Cave Marge’s hand while Cave Homer’s severed head rots because Marge is the patron saint of mothers that everyone in Springfield must worship. Gag me,

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 3/30/2024 at 10:35 AM, bettername2come said:

I have been watching episodes on Disney plus lately with my 10 year old. When I pick I usually go with classic episodes, but when she picks it is a bit more random including the most recent season on D+. And while the new episodes still have decent writing I can't handle Kavner's Marge voice or Harry Shearer's Burns voice. How much they have changed is just so shocking when you bounce around seasons.

Season 35, ep 14: Night of The Living Wage

Marge gets a job in a high-pressure ghost kitchen, but when she tries to start a union, she gets more than she collectively bargained for.

Airs 4/7/24

I liked Hans Moleman having an emotional support tortoise. And then he got hit in the groin with a burrito.

Marge finally gets a job, aside from all those other times she had a job.

So The Simpsons spoofs The Bear, and woof, that first scene with Marge in the kitchen was stressful as hell. Hell, this whole episode was stressful. Marge was right to be angry that the family was continuing the cycle of stress by ordering from the ghost kitchens every night without telling her. I did like how the narrator brought up Marge hanging this incident over Homer after every following fight in their marriage.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

I did like how the narrator brought up Marge hanging this incident over Homer after every following fight in their marriage.

Just like all her other grievances, no doubt.

You know, the writers really tell on themselves when their first post-strike episode is a marriage crisis episode. They never learn. Marge starting a union could have been good on its own without resorting to the same old crap, but noooooooooo.

I laughed when Marge dropped the f-bomb. Only time I laughed in the whole episode.

Wow, all the bird puns. Bok therapy. And Wing slut was one of the restaurants. 

I could totally buy all the food apps being a con of the same people cooking in a kitchen. Lisa being the cause of the problem is rare too. 

I did like the union and the union busting angle. I could buy that happening if this was a real life scam. And the automation taking their jobs. To be fair, Homer ordering from the app and lying about cooking was kind of a jerk move. 

I never watched The Bear, so I missed any parody, but the kitchen scene was good on its own. 

Just so we're all clear - You can't make an electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear reactor. 

• Like 2