Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Couch Gag: Potato wedge art!

I loved Burns' struggle with discovering what a puzzle do. And like the puzzle, I love that he STILL doesn't realize Smithers is gay. He hope's Smithers will pretend to be gay to marry him!

Victor Garber was great as Michael. He really WAS perfect for Smithers. He was rich, witty, and a ruthless businessman whose business ruins the environment with glitter, denim and tie-dye. I bet Burns would think NFTs are even better than fast fashion. They produce NOTHING yet wreck the environment. But at least Burns loves dogs. I'm glad Smithers got the puppy in the end. It was honestly a sweet story.

Hell, Michael's factory was the Lil Lisa Slurry plant all over again. At least Burns "cleaned" the sea while his made Lake Springfield plaid.

Noticed John in the US Male Service app (ha!), and a poster for Malibu Stacy: The Musical

• Love 4

I don't think 'Disco Stu is hetero flexible' would be anything I would have heard in my life. 

I did like that Homer set them up. 

The 'you like my top?' joke actually made me laugh out loud. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I liked how Homer kept fleeing Marge when she wouldn't stop asking questions about the couple, especially when he tried going to the bus stop.  I was glad that Michael pointed out Smithers having a "type," because when everyone thought he would be devastated about Michael's behavior, I was just thinking, "But he's been obsessed with Mr. Burns forever, so I don't know that he'll care."  The puppy was adorable.

• Love 3

Title: Shary Bobbins!

Couch Gag: The family IS the couch!

I liked the concept of Netflix for Dogs. We also got to see SLH's mom again.

This episode was sweet, but I figured from the plot that they were gonna retcon Mother Simpson and I couldn't really gel with the episode because of that. Abe told (mostly) the truth about Mona to Homer, even though he went through most of his life thinking she died. It DID address a major plot hole there, though: if Mona died, why wasn't there a funeral? And Mona was at EVERY stage of Homer's life, up to Bart's birth?

Speaking of retcons, I spotted Ox during the WWII flashback, but I was hoping for another Flying Hellfish shout out. I caught callbacks to Flowers By Irene and Focusyn, but not that.

• Love 2

"Dogs in cars while comedians get coffee" was brilliant, but Fox News slayed me. 

tbh, I can't follow any continuity on the show anymore anyway, so retconning doesn't bother me. It's like Doctor Who at this point. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

Fox News was pretty funny.

I'm starting to wonder how many times they are going to re-write Mona's story.

What was that scene over the end credits referring to ? 
I'm drawing a blank, and the Shazam app doesn't recognize the music.

Muttflix shows seen:
-- The Fire
-- A Bone
-- Dead Bug
-- Another Dog's Butt
-- The HandMutt's Tail
-- Dogs in Cars While Comedians Get Coffee
-- Fox News
-- The Man with the Golden Doodle
-- Apocalypse Chow
-- A Bug's Death
-- Possible Walk
-- Bacon Bacon Bacon
-- Mud Puddle
-- When the Leash Comes Off
-- Game of Bones
-- I Love Lassie
-- Playboy After Bark
-- Rollin' In It
-- Hail Hydrant
-- Dropped Food
-- Whatever It Is, Eat It
-- World's Saddest Cats

List of Pacifying Drugs from the app:
-- Lunesta
-- Focusyn
-- Sleepitov
-- Knockemout
-- Quiet Tyme
-- Snoozit
-- Insta-nap
-- Lullaby-Bye
-- No Fight Night-Night

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

It DID address a major plot hole there, though: if Mona died, why wasn't there a funeral?

I guess that's why Homer never noticed that it was actually Walt Whitman's grave and not his mother's. 

16 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I figured from the plot that they were gonna retcon Mother Simpson

It kind of bugs me because they created such a perfect moment of Homer sitting on the car looking at the stars when she went on the run again and by the way they keep retconing it, they are lessening the emotional impact that it had. 

• Love 4

4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I guess that's why Homer never noticed that it was actually Walt Whitman's grave and not his mother's. 

It kind of bugs me because they created such a perfect moment of Homer sitting on the car looking at the stars when she went on the run again and by the way they keep retconing it, they are lessening the emotional impact that it had. 

Why does this show keep messing with its best moments?!!! And you can’t blame it on Disney: the writers have been retconning stuff long before the big merger.

Even more annoying was how they just had to shoehorn Marge being bitchy about Mother’s Day for no reason, since Homer got her a very nice present AND made reservations for a fancy dinner. She can’t even let Homer grieve his mother without needed to be the center of attention?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
On 11/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Me too, because Carl is totally the top in the Lenny/Carl relationship. 

On 11/21/2021 at 9:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

Homer: "I am a gay matchmaking god!"

Lenny: "How about some straight matchmaking for us?"

Homer: "pfft, I'm a god, not a miracle worker."

That line also made me laugh out loud. 

I was also surprised that it was really Christine Baranski voicing Christine Baranski. 

7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

That is one of my favorite moments of The Simpsons. If I recall,  there's no outro music, just Homer sitting on the car. It never fails to make me tear up.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2021 at 10:26 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

What was that scene over the end credits referring to ? 
I'm drawing a blank, and the Shazam app doesn't recognize the music.

It's the final scene of "8½," a surrealist film by Fellini.  I would say the reference was more an aesthetic Easter egg than a plot-based connection.  The music is by Nino Rota, best known today for scoring the first two "Godfather" films.

The movie is well regarded among "film people," but I would call it a pretty deep cut for us.  A new restoration made the art house rounds this summer, so I assume someone who works on the show goes to the Film Forum or Nuart or what have you.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, Lone Wolf said:

There was an ep in which Milhouse got super muscular and was flexing his lats at Lisa and saying, "Look at these guns!" (or it may have been the other way around - flexing his biceps and talking about his lats.)

This definitely sounds like Milhouse.  I hope that's how they played out the joke, in the episode you're thinking of.

On 11/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think 'Disco Stu is hetero flexible' would be anything I would have heard in my life. 

I did like that Homer set them up. 

Agree.

Title: Santa on a self-flying sleigh

Somebody went to Harry Potter Land. It was a good excuse for more theme park jokes and Grampa old jokes.

Well, good to know that Maggie isn't baptized, either. It seriously took thirty years for Fat Tony to become a literal Godfather. Weird that he never heard of The Godfather, he referenced it several times over the years. I'd also ask about Michael, but then I remember this is FIT Tony, who is now fat, since the original Fat Tony died years ago. It's pretty dumb and I think the writers forgot about that. It did fit for Maggie that she gradually became a little mobster since he was such a bad influence. She knew she had power over the other kids and mobsters.

"Take the gun, leave the zamboni." Someone got paid to write that.

Marge not watching The Godfather past the wedding scene? That I believe.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
Just now, Galileo908 said:

Marge not watching The Godfather past the wedding scene? That I believe.

Her Flanderization is all but complete. Nearly 30 years ago, she was rightfully offended by Flanders trying to baptize her children, and now all of a sudden she’s so concerned about Maggie being baptized because she thinks she won’t get into heaven?! Not to disparage religious beliefs but 🤦‍♀️

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Her Flanderization is all but complete. Nearly 30 years ago, she was rightfully offended by Flanders trying to baptize her children, and now all of a sudden she’s so concerned about Maggie being baptized because she thinks she won’t get into heaven?! Not to disparage religious beliefs but 🤦‍♀️

Yeah, neither her or Homer were worried that Bart and Lisa were not baptized..and still aren’t.  I know there’s always continuity issues but they can’t expect us to forget one of the great episodes. We’re not stupid babies. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, neither her or Homer were worried that Bart and Lisa were not baptized..and still aren’t.  I know there’s always continuity issues but they can’t expect us to forget one of the great episodes. We’re not stupid babies. 

It’s just another way of turning Marge into an annoying little snowflake.

Hey, the football player was voiced by Beck Bennett! He was perfect as a meathead football player that would befriend Mr. Burns. He was raised from birth to play football and he knew nothing outside of that (not even a family), it makes sense. Marge knows how to raise three kids and one Homer, is it any shock that he turned into an infantilized Mama's Boy? And then left them both for an instagram model/youtube reactor/business manager?

I liked that Mr. Burns' brandy was only meant to be sniffed. I also liked him employing Duffman to be Do You Man ("Catchphrase TBD!").

I loved all the Sportswardsy awards: Least Racist Team Name, Best World Series, The Donald Sterling Worst Owner Lifetime Achievement Award,

• Love 2

Divisions of Burns Co.:
-- S.N.P.P. (Springfield Nuclear Power Plant)
-- Mr. Gentleman Brandy
-- Astrazeneca
-- Waystar Royco (the fake company from the TV Show 'Succession')
-- Superb Skatewear
-- Mad About You (Reboot)
-- Brett Kavanaugh
-- Flamin' Hot Funyuns
-- Rick Bottom Glutes-Only Gym

Branding Expert: These days -- which in the branding business is called "the present".

Smithers Trapdoor app had options for:
-- Hallway
-- Mr. Burns' Office
-- Reactor Core
-- US Senate Chamber

Mr. Burns: "Congratulations my boy, you are the face of America's most marked up trash liquor."

Springfield Atoms vs. (Your City Here) Chargers.
A not so subtle jab at certain city-wandering NFL teams.

Bart: "Babyface looks a little hung over Mom."
Lisa: "Geez, he's kind of got that 'Dad asleep in his car outside Moe's look going'."
Homer: "The icy stare of a born winner ?"
Lisa: "Yes.  That one."

Sportswardsies listed over the credits:
-- Best Press Conference Meltdown
-- Most Valuable MVP
-- Cirque De Soleil presents: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!" -- where they re-imagine the most flagrant foul.
-- Least Racist Team Name
-- Coldest Bud Light, brought to you by Bud Light
-- Kenny Chesney Shames Charities -- his musical tribute to the 100 all-time worst run vanity charities
-- Highest Batting Average -- D.J. Lemahieu - .358, Mookie Betts - .339, Freddie Freeman - .334, Michael Conforto - .329
-- Most Tone-Deaf Hall of Fame Speech 
-- Best Free Throw
-- Thinnest Skin
-- Fan Favorite Cheating Scandal
-- Worst Sportswardsy Acceptance Speech
-- Best Tampering
-- Most Intentional Walk
-- Least Lucrative Endorsement
-- Most Pointless Award Show
-- Worst Player
-- Least Funny State Farm Ad
-- Most Self-Serving Invocation of Our Lord
-- Least Vaccinated Player
-- Athlete We Want To Give a Slightly Smaller Trophy to Just See How They'll React

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Season 33, ep 12: Pixelated and Afraid

When Lisa fears that Homer and Marge have lost the spark in their marriage, they go on a trip to a remote resort, only to end up crashing and ending up lost in a forest, cold, naked, and alone...well, except for that wolverine

Airs 2/27/22

The black & white opening was a nice touch to the movie Lisa was watching. And once again, Lisa ruins everything.

The first act hit very close to home. My parents aren't romantic, they only have Couch Love. They like to watch HGTV. I'm also totally not a Large Adult Son or anything...

Was not expecting full frontal. Blurred out full frontal, but this is the first time they've been this exposed. I liked that Homer's nipples were blurred out, too.

There was some very nice animation tonight. First on crazed, hungry Homer and Marge, and when they were fighting off the wolverine. I thought the acting of Dan and Julie was really good tonight.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Did…they just make a Homer and Marge episode where they didn’t fight/break up??? Where they were just in a (comfortable) rut and the survival experience just brought them closer??? I’m speechless. And impressed.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

This is the first episode that I've enjoyed in a long time. Homer and Marge being comfortable and in tune with each other at home which helped them survive later. Marge wasn't a shrew and Homer wasn't an idiot. They didn't blame each other. Just got on with what they need to do.

• Love 8

That was an impressive episode. While the situation they were in was terrifying, it was a great bonding experience for them. The fact that they both knuckled down and just focused on surviving and caring for eachother was all the better. And the full circle ending with them together, sharing a snack was great. 

And all that Discovery survival show knowledge they gained served them well for that situation. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I almost felt like telling Lisa maybe they can't go on an historical walking tour because you kids are running them ragged all the time. 

Seriously. Although I guess I should be grateful it was her that set it in motion instead of Marge usually whining about being in a rut. I was pleasantly surprised that for once she was more than fine with their usual routine and even told Homer she didn’t even care about going on the trip if he didn’t.

This was seriously the best Homer/Marge episode since “Natural Born Kissers.” I loved that because there was no crisis, they were just bored and wanted to put a little excitement into their sex life. But like this episode proved, there’s nothing wrong with predictability. Excitement isn’t all that’s cracked up to be: the past six years have taught us that.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Marge wasn't a shrew and Homer wasn't an idiot. 

Homer wasn't an idiot, but he was still Homer. "I didn't used to wear carpeting! I used to wear pants made out of pants!"

• LOL 8

Dolph AND Martin as main characters? I appreciated that. 

I liked Lisa finally living out her dream of being a non-problem only child. I'm one myself, we are indeed weird and needy. I appreciate that she'd choose a name like Jules. And this seemed to be parallel to Martin's story. He's an only child, too, but his parents are too needy and controlling on HIM to the point of stealing opioids just to stay calm (Focusyn shout out!). His much, much needed verbal takedown on Bart was a long time coming. Grey DeLisle might not be Russi Taylor, but she's a damn good replacement. Finally standing up to his parents was a great moment, too.

The Satanists honestly made me jump a few times. Also loved the reveal that they were film students and almost killed Dolph and Nelson just for a film.

Axel the goat was really cute. I hope he sticks around since he was in the Simpson house at the end.

• Love 4

I had no idea that guy's name was Dolph. 
Wow what a rant from Martin! And he cut Bart right down.

I always like how you can see the cooling towers anywhere in Springfield. 

57 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

The Satanists honestly made me jump a few times.

Before the reveal, it was creepy. I didn't think they were actual murderers, but I didn't know where it was going. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I had no idea that guy's name was Dolph. 

I honestly forgot when his name was officially first said onscreen, but it's been established since the early days. Being Jewish with the name "Shapiro" I think was established about a decade or so ago.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

So, instead of insufferable Marge we get insufferable Lisa?  OK.

Yeah, I also thought Lisa was extra annoying. She gets just as much attention as Bart. Also, not cool dumping Maggie at the aunts but I hope she at least had some fun with Ling. 

I'm glad Martin told Bart he is a follower who tries to impress bullies who don't care about him. 

I did like the "Satanist" story though. This and the last episode brought on some real scare.

• Love 2

Season 33, ep 14: You Won't Believe What This Episode is About -- Act 3 Will Shock You!

When Homer is erroneously blamed for leaving Santa's Little Helper locked in a hot car, footage of the incident goes viral, outraging all of Springfield and making Homer a pariah.

airs 3/13/22

This was a do-over for "Homer Badman" that's definitely gonna age better. How does Homer make everyone move on for going viral for leaving SLH in the car? Go viral for some other out of context reason! True to life.

Bart keeping a scoreboard of all the death threats after Homer got doxxed is so very true to his character and again, true to life.

Helen Lovejoy is 100% a viral Karen. And the short guy is a spoof of the Bagel Boss Guy. Remember that guy? I do, because it happened not far from where I live. The episode lived up to its title, I WAS surprised at where Act 3 went to! I figured that Kumail was gonna turn the group into a Suicide Squad, but Buzzfeed CHUMNet being full of clickbait trap was genius. I also figured that The Institute was going to scrub EVERYONE awful from the internet. Including "The football coach who always cheats," "that guy who was just the president" and "so many Russian generals."

Lisa ruined everything by writing the most heartfelt apology anyone has ever heard. That's so great.

Worth noting that this is the first episode entirely helmed by women. They should do that more often, this was great. Somewhere, Milhouse is mad because so many people are saying "radical."

• Love 3

I actually liked Homer's apology - I'm sorry you're all so thin-skinned... I would have liked it to go in the direction of Homer just revenge meme-ing anyone. Lovejoy screaming at kids isn't anything like Homer leaving the dog in the car, which he didn't anyway. Or Milhous' dad throwing juice boxes. 

Although, Lisa was right. Sometimes just apologize regardless so people can move on. I've been there. 

tbh, if it was a dog ice cream store, I would just bring him in. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

Just began my viewing of The Simpsons S10 (in production order), starting with Treehouse of Horror IX.

A few nice gags here:

• Lisa tried to deliver an exposition of Snake controlling Homer, but Marge retorted with "Oh please, Lisa, everyone's already figured that out."
  • Marge reminding the laughing crowd that two people have died, only to laugh herself when she finally got the "bad hair day" joke.
  • That Regis/Kathy Lee moment. Yeesh, Kathy seems as sanctimonious here as she did in South Park. Great visual effect though. That live action/animation mix caught me by surprise.
  • Poor Snowbell II. Finally finding love in Scratchy, only to have him neutered by Marge. I'm a cat person, so I had more attachment with the Snowbells than Santa's Little Helper (what a mouthful), so it's nice to see moments like this.
  • After Maggie literally turns into a tentacled alien and crawls up the ceiling, Marge's first response to that bizarre scene is "Homer, do something! The ceiling is not a safe place for the baby."
  • Homer opening the door and sees Kang and Kodos, "Oh great, Mormons."
  • Marge picked "the alley behind the porno theater" as the "choice of spawning location for humans" as part of Kang and Kodos' "cross-breeding program." I think this is the same location quite a few TV characters chose for their "one night stand with the husband they regretted marrying," but I'm surprised Marge of all people chose such a spot.
  • The whole Jerry Springer bit, or as they called it, "My Daddy is a Space Monster!"
  • Audience member: "Yeah, I've got a question for that gross thing, whatever it is."
    Jerry: "Homer."
    Audience Member: "No, the green dude."
  • Marge (smug look): "Oh, you couldn't destroy every politician."
    Kang: "Just watch us." (laughs as they leave in their spaceship)
    Bart: "Don't forget Ken Starr!"
    Marge: "Suckers."

Simpsons has its bad episodes, but Treehouse of Horrors have rarely ceased to impress or entertain me greatly. It's the writers' carte blanche card.

I heard that season 10 isn't bad, and that the downfall of the series only truly begins in season 11, while others would argue it's season 15, but I'll see.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 1