Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Black Tag

I loved this one, again. I thought it exploited the Big Disaster trope perfectly well. To be continued...Argh. It isn't even the suspense, it's the wait. How many weeks without a new episode? I'm going to nedd to make a marathon somewhere during my non-holidays, I think.

Let's get the ship out of the way. I had an intense stare! And then, Neal: "Leanne, we were wrong to make an emotional decision" Angus: "Christa is missing" Neal: *makes an emotional decision* (and I don't care if it's bad or unprofessional and whatever). Don't disappoint me when he finds her, show. It's about 50% why I'll be patiently (or not) waiting for the following episode.

To be fair, I'm glad that he didn't forget about Mario and Heather.

Talking about Heather, I really like what I saw of her personality...Mario liked more than that, I think (someone had called it a few weeks ago, IIRC). There was a longish stare, too. Heather has some snark, but it doesn't come off as callous or abrasive imo, and I really liked how she worked with Angus, too. I hope they can be friends. I'm looking forward the Mario/Heather held at gunpoint scenario to unfold.

Nurse Amy! Hey, they called her by her name and I really, really liked what I saw of her. Gabrielle Carteris is good in the role, Amy and Jesse have good friendly chemistry, so it's a character I'd liked to see developped more.

See, this is how imo new characters should be introduced, because they weren't disruptive, they've been in the background, their piece of the puzzle gets to fit naturally and I want to see more of them.

I like Malaya, but it unfortunately gets clearer for me that the character struggles to find her place on the show. I find her isolated, she's the poster girl for the resident who makes mistakes/has self-confidence issues and...I don't find anything else. They were establishing a closeness/like-mindedness with Angus, but their budding friendship has been MIA for a while now. And she was  back to being a pushover this week, imo. I wonder if she's in stand-by, and will have her own storyline when Carla dies by adopting the child, to become "the single mother of the team".

I don't think that Carla can survive, and it's too bad because imo she has more personality and I really love how she and Jesse play each other off.

I loved Christa's scenes with the family. OK, she fell, but then she ruled. She kept calm, and I just love how they are writing her first as a competent doctor, who is compassionate but it doesn't impair her. She was for me the MVP as a doctor this week, balancing the medical care and the care for her patient. I love, love, love her.

I really like the writing for Leanne, as of late. They were a bit heavy-handed at times ("She's a good woman", for example) now I think there's more nuance. The DIC could have had a "K" added to his tag, and it would have been an accurate description of him, I was rooting for Leanne to pull off a cowboy stunt, because I love cowboy Leanne, but everybody had the right to a POV and her decision was presented as questionable and had consequences. I wonder if some of the victims will sue (wasn't the teacher in the beginning Erica Gimpel?).

Same for Neal, he's Prince Charming but it's obvious that his obsession to always do the right thing is pushing him to second-guess himself permanently, and to excessive regrets. And somehow, with what I saw of his father, it makes complete sense.

Jesse is the boss! His scenes with his roommate were hilarious and touching. Welcome back, Jesse!

My only issue is the writing for doctor Temporary Queen. I think they tried to pull off an Addison Montgomery or a Kerry Weather, but they don't know imo how to dose the tough/snarky and the warm/sensitive so in the end, it doesn't work for me. For example, with Lily's call, she played all 100% tough no-way-never in her instructions to her subordinate but when confronted to the reality of leaving a call unanswered, she folded immediately, which made her look weak and unable to take responsibilities for her "heartless" decisions; especially contrasting with Mario, who has a similar type of personality but is for me better written in this respect and at least owns to what he does. Same with Carla's treatment. In this new light, I begin to think that her asking Neal to talk to the others after Jesse's heart attack had less to do with their feelings, and more with her own fear to actually face backlash.

And after there was a plotline devoted to make people like her via Leanne, now the writers go with Carla's "I like her". I don't know why they make all a fuss out of this character (Amy and Heather didn't have the same "honor" and guess what, I do like them) but in this particular case, it backfired big time with me. I know that Perello was the Exposition Fairy to remind the forgetful viewer of who Carla was, but her pregnancy/cancer line was inappropriate and nothing short of callous. You don't talk like that to someone you don't know, upon meeting them, before you established the slightest rapport with them. I can only think that Carla's brain tumor already impaired her judgement, and I want doctor Taylor back more than ever.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

I am this show's bitch. Pretty much the only show that I watch live right now. So much crazy drama, and are they kidding me with a to be continued at the end, without showing previews?

Poor Carla- know if exactly what is happening to your body and unable to do anything about it. I don't see why she can't be induced at 30 weeks- much better than being 24-26 weeks.

Glad that Leanne got called out by Neal for saving that mom's life- someone else got screwed over at her expense.

You better find Christa, Neal. And there better be a hot kiss later on to show him your gratitude! That little girl was very brave.

That guy holding Mario and Heather at gunpoint is nuts. I hope one of them doesn't get shot, and if they make it out alive maybe a date afterwards?

Speaking of date, wonder where Cole is. Plus, they should be calling all available ED docs to come in when there is a crisis like that.

• Love 1

I've seen disaster episodes on medical dramas before, but that was all too much.  I couldn't keep track of everything that was going on.

I also didn't like the attitude of Leanne and her team dissing the doctor in charge.  Leanne acted like she was envious of the DIC and seemed to encourage her doctors to just ignore him.   

• Love 1

So what kind of fall out can we expect from Doctor "I'm in Charge {said angrily}"?. Will he actually charge Leanne with disobeying (and breaking federal/state laws)? . In the words of Mike from Limitless, he was being A DIC. LOL

I mean, come on, it's a tired trope, defiant doctor runs off to rescue against all odds and orders.

Mario seems to be gunning for George's (Grey's Anatomy) moniker, 007, Licensed to Kill.

So, Mario wants to black-tag a guy who is essentially uninjured, and who only needs the car door to be opened.  Uh-huh.

Yep, pop the door and scoop him out. It takes awhile for it harden as the water is removed.

Too bad that the writers do not investigate before coming up with crap.   The process of concrete setting is exothermic, meaning that it HEATS UP.  The dude would have been steamed to death while the setting concrete would be sucking as much moisture from his carcass as possible.  If left alone, he would more likely be a mummy in a cement overcoat.

Edited by oldgearhead
  • Love 4

Reason #1 why you never ever send doctors to an emergency incident.  Although they all did their jobs, there has to be some sort of command system in place.  Yeah, the DIC was overbearing, but someone has to be the ultimate HFMIC.  And jeez, you guys, you're effing DOCTORS!  You didn't have any exposure to the triage system in med school?  Mario must have watched too much Monty Python with his toe-tag mania.

Jesse rules.  "I'm not a patient, I'm a nurse."

That was fog?  You want fog?  Come to the San Joaquin Valley where I live and you'll have fog.  That episode was actually pretty realistic in some areas.  We regularly have major pileups on Hwy 99, the record being something like 100 cars.  It's terrifying for the first responders to work in those conditions. 

That little girl with Christa is going to be walking the big dog walk when she goes back to school.  She's already learned more than some of the residents.  And I hope Christa has a good supply of painkillers for that shoulder.  Ouch.

• Love 4

That little girl with Christa is going to be walking the big dog walk when she goes back to school.  She's already learned more than some of the residents. 

Yes,  A future ER doctor.   She can be the Wesley Crusher of Code Black.  And she learned Code Black's #1 rule - Intubate as often as possible.

Watching this show, it seems that stuffing tubes is the primary emergency care procedure.  They do it almost every episode.  The paddles have been shoved aside for the now popular tubing.  Do not forget the drama involved.  Which side?  Can you see the cords?  You must move faster.   Too many uses in too many episodes makes this wear thin.

Oops,  me thinks that she might have screwed up this time.   The pen tube in the throat trick has been used many times in other shows.  However, this time she entered above the adam's apple.  The hole should be made below, closer the lungs in the hollow above the ribs for a more direct route from outside air to lungs.

• Love 1

So! This was another good ep. I could've done without the B-plot of Malaya's ex coming to the hospital. Mama's thing was ok but I feel like there was so much going on on scene that I never really wanted to leave it.

There were a couple of contrivances that I need to point out, eventhough we all know it's a TV-show and if we start getting hung up on that we're all in big trouble. But some things can't be overlooked and sometimes they just point to hastened writing:

First - I knew Christa was doomed when instead of telling everybody that she found survivers she just proceeded to get down there. Pretty sure that was against protocol and normally she would know better. She's lucky she has a fully functioning mini!doc down there.

Another thing: do really two residents need to go looking for one person? Couldn't have Neal just stayed in the tent, covering for Leanne? I say yes, writers say no.
And the doctor threatening to have Leanne arrested? Really? When you're short on doctors anyway? Er. No. Not even Leanne believed that.

And last but not least: Mario going crazy with his black cards and prematurely declaring cement-guy as kinda-dead. Pretty sure that was just to show that yes, they have to do that now, and yes, it's a tough call.

I also didn't really get why we suddenly have 3 attendings going together through the scene, while we have one (Malaya) going alone. Talk about being inefficient.

Do we really need another attending? I'm pretty sure that we don't. We have enough characters as it is and Heather is either a redshirt (probably not, she's too pretty) or she's there to sex it up (probably yes). The latter - we're not Grey's Anatomy and I don't really see the need for more sexual tension than we already have.

Otherwise, I really liked this episode. I really did. It was fast-paced and everyone was pretty. And yay for Gabrielle Carteris bringing it!

I like Malaya, but it unfortunately gets clearer for me that the character struggles to find her place on the show.

I know. I really want to like her but instead I end up not being annoyed by her. I like her when she has her nerd!moments, otherwise she's kind of bland. And it's not because we don't have any background information on her - I just don't get a feel for her personality.

Edited by Ely
  • Love 2

I liked this episode and I can't believe we have to wait for after the holidays to see part II.  But, hey, at least it wasn't a Very Special Christmas episode--which I usually like, but I applaud it for taking a different path.

As much as I liked the scenes with Christa, I couldn't help but think that there's nowhere on the 110 that goes that deep, that steep and has that much forest around it.  Unless I'm forgetting something, but I don't think so.  It's mostly housing communities, junctions with another freeway and exits into the city.  Anyway:

The DIC could have had a "K" added to his tag, and it would have been an accurate description of him,

I'm thinking that in a situation like that, you'd have to be a bit of a dick.   I sure that being able to close off your emotions helps you get through it.  I'm not someone who can do that easily, so I don't think I'd be able to handle being in charge of something like that.  And the situation with the black tags--I was watching an interview with the head doctor at the trauma unit that serviced some San Bernadino victims last week and he said that the hardest thing to do is to black tag someone who is still breathing.  I can't even begin to imagine.

Poor Carla- know if exactly what is happening to your body and unable to do anything about it. I don't see why she can't be induced at 30 weeks- much better than being 24-26 weeks.

This sounds like a morbid question, but I'm asking seriously because I don't know that answer:  Can't she stipulate in writing that her body be kept viable on machines until the baby is old enough to be delivered safely?  Or is that dependent on the medical condition?

My only issue is the writing for doctor Temporary Queen. I think they tried to pull off an Addison Montgomery or a Kerry Weather, but they don't know imo how to dose the tough/snarky and the warm/sensitive so in the end, it doesn't work for me.

I'm leaning towards liking her because I'm happy that they didn't make her a tyrant, but I agree that they are writing her to be a bit wishy-washy.

So what kind of fall out can we expect from Doctor "I'm in Charge {said angrily}"?. Will he actually charge Leanne with disobeying (and breaking federal/state laws)?

I think it would make a decent story if they did (and, again, not the typical "you're forgiven" scenario).  What bugged me about Leanne was that she promised the kid that she'd get his mother and take care of her, but, on the first episode, she snapped at one of the young interns to not make promises that you can't keep.

• Love 3

What bugged me about Leanne was that she promised the kid that she'd get his mother and take care of her, but, on the first episode, she snapped at one of the young interns to not make promises that you can't keep.

She lost a child.  I'm assuming her judgement is vulnerable when children are involved.

I'm thinking that in a situation like that, you'd have to be a bit of a dick.   I sure that being able to close off your emotions helps you get through it.  I'm not someone who can do that easily, so I don't think I'd be able to handle being in charge of something like that.  And the situation with the black tags--I was watching an interview with the head doctor at the trauma unit that serviced some San Bernadino victims last week and he said that the hardest thing to do is to black tag someone who is still breathing.  I can't even begin to imagine.

I don't even think the doctor was being a dick; I thought he was firm and doing what he was supposed to do.  In that particular instance, when he and Leanne butted heads, I thought it was Leanne who was being a dick.  Also, the female heart surgeon who called him DIC with a K.  Leanne wanted to show her interns and the other doctors that she was in charge and wasn't going to take orders from some other doctor, even though he was, in fact, in charge.  I really didn't like her in this episode.  

And yes, she lost a child, but she needs to be aware that her judgement is vulnerable in certain situations and check herself when that happens.  She would tell Christa or any other doctors who lost someone to do the same.

• Love 7

I agree with you that in some situations you have to shut your emotions off, and I don't blame DIC for being a dick, I was just remarking that he was one. I like that the show gave him a POV. But there's being assertive, and there's treating people like dirt on your shoes. Well, not everybody can be a Neal or a Christa (imo) and have a non-abrasive, soft-spoken way of making people do your binding :)

It was interesting that out of four patients who were black-tagged while still breathing, only one was indeed dead at the end of the episode. Angus/Heather went against Mario's black tag, Neal/Leanne  went against Malaya's, and Heather/Mario are still working on Gunman's wife.

I can't imagine either how it can feel to black-tag someone who is still breathing. I think that in this respect, this episode did a good job showing that there is no "good" option and that anyway, a life  saved against all odds almost always come with a life lost.

She lost a child.  I'm assuming her judgement is vulnerable when children are involved.

I agree and IIRC,  it was hinted/mentioned in episode 4 when Christa couldn't perform the procedures on the kid. Leanne said that she still didn't manage to make abstraction of children.

And because this show hasn't disappointed me yet, I'm willing to believe that her making a promise to a kid is actually good writing. Imo, she always cared but she managed to be rational or almost so far by repressing her emotions. But by deciding to live, Leanne let her emotions flow again, at the risk of being overwhelmed at times. Like with the boy in this episode. Nevertheless, I'd like the show to acknowledge the change in her stance at one point, so that I can give all the credit due and not fear that I'm fanwanking.

Edited by Happy Harpy
But there's being assertive, and there's treating people like dirt on your shoes.

Obviously people could see that scene from different perspectives, but I didn't see him treating the people like they were dirt on his shoes.  I thought he was being assertive and he was also talking loudly because of the surrounding noise.

• Love 3

Obviously people could see that scene from different perspectives, but I didn't see him treating the people like they were dirt on his shoes.  I thought he was being assertive and he was also talking loudly because of the surrounding noise.

Indeed, different perspectives, because I thought he sounded like a drill sergeant from Platoon :)

Edited by Happy Harpy
I don't even think the doctor was being a dick; I thought he was firm and doing what he was supposed to do.  In that particular instance, when he and Leanne butted heads, I thought it was Leanne who was being a dick.  Also, the female heart surgeon who called him DIC with a K.  Leanne wanted to show her interns and the other doctors that she was in charge and wasn't going to take orders from some other doctor, even though he was, in fact, in charge.  I really didn't like her in this episode. 

On an emotional level, I wanted to back Leanne just because I'm getting to know and understand her and what motivates her, and I didn't know the DIC at all, so his POV didn't really mean as much to me.  However, logically, I agree Leanne was the one out of line.  She doesn't allow her residents to be clouded by emotion but when the shoe is on the other foot, it doesn't apply to her, which I didn't like.  That said, I still really like her, but I'm glad Neal pointed this out.  She is obviously flawed like everyone else, and I don't mind flawed characters as long as they aren't being whitewashed.

• Love 6

This sounds like a morbid question, but I'm asking seriously because I don't know that answer:  Can't she stipulate in writing that her body be kept viable on machines until the baby is old enough to be delivered safely?  Or is that dependent on the medical condition?

There's not really an accepted way to do it, because it's much easier to deliver a preterm baby (and at 30 weeks, a fetus is pretty advanced and the odds of serious complications are fairly low) than it is to keep a body going.  Also, while I don't want to go into any unpleasant details, when a body loses the ability to regulate itself, it goes through some really dramatic changes internally.

There's not really an accepted way to do it, because it's much easier to deliver a preterm baby (and at 30 weeks, a fetus is pretty advanced and the odds of serious complications are fairly low) than it is to keep a body going.  Also, while I don't want to go into any unpleasant details, when a body loses the ability to regulate itself, it goes through some really dramatic changes internally.

Thank you.  I know it's been done a couple of times, as I've heard on the news, but I wasn't sure how good of an option it was. 

Would his clothes have helped in any way to prevent that?  Or not, as they got soaked.

Some.  But as you say, the liquid that soaked through might still carry enough of the alkaline to burn skin.  How bad would depend upon how much the clothing was able to protect him and how long he was in there.  Somewhat surprised that some saw-bones didn't at least mention the caustic nature of the mixture, even if only to say that it was secondary to the other dangers.

Some.  But as you say, the liquid that soaked through might still carry enough of the alkaline to burn skin.  How bad would depend upon how much the clothing was able to protect him and how long he was in there.  Somewhat surprised that some saw-bones didn't at least mention the caustic nature of the mixture, even if only to say that it was secondary to the other dangers.

Maybe that mention will show up in part 2.

I know its a doctor show but I am watching this whole scene and wondering where were the CHP, firefighters and paramedics. I would expect the Fire Chief to treat that emergency like Gary Oldman in The Professional "send EVERYBODY!"

• Love 3

I think I saw a few paramedics among all the chaos, but I can't swear to that.  However, in an accident scene that big, it does seem like there would have been a bunch of police cars and fire trucks, and not just a bunch of doctors. 

Why were the doctors called back to the hospital when they were needed in the field instead of other doctors who are on staff but at home and can be called in from there?

I thought he should have been diagnosed with Delusional Dominating Personality Disorder:

As an antidote to some of the institutionalized sexism in the mental health system the category of Delusional Dominating Personality Disorder (DDPD) is presented as a set of personality characteristics that result from rigid masculine socialization and constitute a serious psychological problem.

for example:

2. Inability to identify and express a range of feelings in oneself (typically accompanied by an inability to identify accurately the feelings of other people).

3. Inability to respond appropriately and emphatically to the feelings and needs of close associates and intimates (often leading to the misinterpretation of signals from others).

4. Tends to use power, silence, withdrawal, and/or avoidance rather than negotiation in the face of interpersonal conflict or difficulty.

6. An excessive need to inflate the importance and achievements of oneself, males in general, or both. This is often associated with a need to deflate the importance of one’s intimate female partner, females in general, or both.

12. A tendency to feel inordinately threatened by women who fail to disguise their intelligence.

I finally caught up with this show watched the 11 episodes over the last two weeks - sort of slow-motion binge watch.

Now I know why Leanne was so understanding about Mario running off against orders, to help a kid.  Perhaps Mario reminds her of herself as a resident.   

They also claimed that the concrete was expanding and crushing him.  I can believe that the weight of the concrete would be crushing, but I am not sure sure about it expanding when it hardens.  I would think that, if anything, the concrete would shrink a bit as it dries as the water would evaporate.  Then again, the only time I used concrete was in making stepping stones, which are probably too small to notice any change in size.

I also didn't really get why we suddenly have 3 attendings going together through the scene, while we have one (Malaya) going alone. Talk about being inefficient.

Do we really need another attending? I'm pretty sure that we don't. We have enough characters as it is and Heather is either a redshirt (probably not, she's too pretty) or she's there to sex it up (probably yes). The latter - we're not Grey's Anatomy and I don't really see the need for more sexual tension than we already have.

Are you counting Heather as an attending?  I think she is a surgical resident.  

I know its a doctor show but I am watching this whole scene and wondering where were the CHP, firefighters and paramedics. I would expect the Fire Chief to treat that emergency like Gary Oldman in The Professional "send EVERYBODY!"

I love this show, but it definitely requires a suspension of logic at times.  One of the biggest examples is that there never seem to be anyone other than the core 6 ER doctors (and occasionally one or two of the surgeons) working on patients.  They do things in the ER that would normally be done somewhere else in the hospital by a specialist.  I can see why - if it were more realistic, then we wouldn't get to see the resolution, unless they introduce us to a lot more people in a lot more departments.  I talked to an ER doctor once about the show ER and he said that it was pretty realistic except patients don't stay in the ER that long, they either get released or admitted and moved upstairs and that he doesn't get to see the end of a patient's story.

This episode, the 6 are running around finding crowbars and searching for survivors.  There should be plenty of firemen there to use the jaws of life or go looking for cars that may have gone off the road.  How many injured people got much worse or may have died because the doctors were trying to open car doors or wandering around looking for little girls named Lily?

And now, they have all been called back to the hospital because there are no other doctors available anywhere in LA.

I watched every episode of Under the Dome because it was so fun to look for bits of ridiculousness and snark about it on Previously (same with the later seasons of America's Next Top Model). Now, I don't have either of those shows to make fun of anymore.  Sometimes, when I watch Code Black, I think about how easy it would be to make fun of this show, except that the acting, the characters, the pacing, the storylines, etc, are so good, and make me love the show so I am readily willing to overlook any foolishness.

• Love 3

Sometimes, when I watch Code Black, I think about how easy it would be to make fun of this show, except that the acting, the characters, the pacing, the storylines, etc, are so good, and make me love the show so I am readily willing to overlook any foolishness.

I think that's why I love this show. It's not realistic at all, but I just love the acting, characters and storylines so much that I watch without caring about how realistic it is. If I cared, I would watch a reality medical show.

• Love 7

Episode 12 promo is out, and it looks so good. I.can't.wait.

This is what I love the most about Code Black and its characters. I love it when a TV show makes me impatient like this, a bit as if I was waiting for a date.

• Love 3

When other shows reappeared on the schedule this week, I was surprised that the break was over so soon. (Geez, wasn't Modern Family just on a couple weeks ago?)

HOWEVER, hasn't it been months now, since we've last seen Code Black? Feels like the same wait we've experienced between Downton Abbey seasons.

For me, this show is about human interactions in tough circumstances, and the gradual unveiling of personalities during times of crises.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 3

Episode 12 promo is out, and it looks so good. I.can't.wait.

This is what I love the most about Code Black and its characters. I love it when a TV show makes me impatient like this, a bit as if I was waiting for a date.

You just made me night! Had to search for the promo and it did not disappoint. Looks like I have two ships to look forward to. Is it Wednesday yet? Though from the description

I wonder who is involved in the so called love triangle.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

You just made me night! Had to search for the promo and it did not disappoint. Looks like I have two ships to look forward to. Is it Wednesday yet? Though from the description

I wonder who is involved in the so called love triangle.

When I saw

Neal looking for Christa

, I thought it was a good start :)

I'm also on board of ship Two,

the kiss was hot, and Heather made the first move, go for it girl!

. I don't know which description you read, but there's one that mentions the three people involved in the love triangle:

Heather, Mario and Angus

. But I think that my favorite part of the promo was

Guthrie Senior laying down the law. Angus and Leanne's faces are priceless!

. I love this character so I'm looking forward to that development.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1