Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

Sing it LOD, sing it. Hillary could show up tomorrow walking with a walker, lung failure, or on the kidney transplant list, wearing a surgical mask or hooked up to an oxygen tank etc.., and I would still pull the lever for her.  I'd be like oh shit, what happened? I hope she makes it at least through her first term. But if not, I'm more than at ease with Tim Kaine waiting in the wings to take over. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 20
34 minutes ago, represent said:

Sing it LOD, sing it. Hillary could show up tomorrow walking with a walker, lung failure, or on the kidney transplant list, wearing a surgical mask or hooked up to an oxygen tank etc.., and I would still pull the lever for her.  I'd be like oh shit, what happened? I hope she makes it at least through her first term. But if not, I'm more than at ease with Tim Kaine waiting in the wings to take over. 

Thanks for letting us know!  Did not have the sound on, will catch it on the repeat.  I hit my limit a few hours ago on the HRC and transparency and health issues. 

43 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

OR, they don't want to be on the receiving end of a thin-skinned, five-year-old's wrath.  Just sayin'.

Man up, guys.  And gals.  Joy clearly is ready for the wrath. 

• Love 3

When asked by LOD what is the profile of a GA Never Trump, LOD's guest JC IV said, "they listen to Eric Erickson."  I'm in GA, I'm a Never Trump (although an independent, not a Republican), and I've never heard of this person.  I know it's shocking, but there are people in this world who come to their own decisions, on their own, without any help from radio or TV commentators.

I thought the opening was great, except for the referrals to the West Wing.  Probably because I don't worship at the font of celebrity, but I hate to see fictional characters brought into a serious discussion about real people.  I think it weakens the argument and makes it seem frivolous, which it isn't, and LOD's reference to having been a TV writer weakens his credibility as a political commentator.  That and I've never seen the West Wing.

• Love 4

I'm glad to see there's some staying power (so far) to the tax issue. He told George Stephanopolous it's "None of your business." That's why LOD keeps bringing David Cay Johnson back. Who does Trump think he is? Nine previous Reps (and Dems) have released their tax returns because Americans NEED to know that information--tax rate, income, amount of money paid (if any), use of loopholes, charitable contributions (if any--today I saw Pence on MSNBC say "Trump's given tens of millison to charity". Really? Not what Washington Post says. Show us the tax return!  Also, it will show something he's REALLY afraid of -- information about his honesty. )

(That said, he's never going to release them, never. He'd rather take the political hit and try his snow job than give anyone facts --especially ones that could discourage people from paying so much for licensing his legal-but-shady-and-self-serving "brand").

As for HRC, I peeked in briefly to Hardball..  5 words in and I couldn't take it.  Looking forward to LOD now!

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4

Dr. Howard Dean on the Brian Williams hour -- "I wouldn't take a 68-year-old woman to a New York City emergency room unless something much worse was going on."  I'm sure they all appreciate the seal of approval. 

3 hours ago, cattykit said:

That and I've never seen the West Wing.

Nooooo...what a treat you have waiting for you! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, jjj said:

Dr. Howard Dean on the Brian Williams hour -- "I wouldn't take a 68-year-old woman to a New York City emergency room unless something mush worse was going on."  I'm sure they all appreciate the seal of approval. 

Nooooo...what a treat you have waiting for you! 

See my name .....

• Love 1
12 hours ago, represent said:

Amen!  It is despicable (perhaps even deplorable) that this network for the most part (outside of a very few that have not lost their minds) has let the conspiracy theory nutjob contingent's constant drumbeating over the past few months about Hillary's health (based on pure fiction) inform how they covered what happened this weekend that culminated in learning that Hillary has had pneumonia for three days.  It is just crazy!

As to the nutters idea that Hillary is going to die soon after taking office, I found a tweet last night that I thought summed up my position quite nicely:  "I mean if Hillary is really using her last months and dying breaths to save America from fascism, she should get her face on Rushmore".  Amen!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 15

It's becoming more apparent to me that MSNBC has either driven away or fired the best and the brightest that used to work there.

Putting Brian Williams on at 11 pm?  Everyone's moved on to Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan or the like by then.

And Rev Al?  OK so you want someone of his ilk on your network.  Great find someone that's at least 25 years younger so they can appeal to a wider swath and leave Al as a regular on Morning Joe.  Lord knows they could use some diversity.

• Love 4

The DC bureau chief of Bloomberg was just on the 9am show and was fantastic pointing out that even as elitist as the deplorables comment is in abstract, it is worse when you consider the context - a high-price fundraiser.  

In a way, the deplorables is just a variation of the Bernie Bro nonsense her people dished out during the primary - when your opponent starts gaining on you, demonize their supporters.

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

The DC bureau chief of Bloomberg was just on the 9am show and was fantastic pointing out that even as elitist as the deplorables comment is in abstract, it is worse when you consider the context - a high-price fundraiser.  

In a way, the deplorables is just a variation of the Bernie Bro nonsense her people dished out during the primary - when your opponent starts gaining on you, demonize their supporters.

You can't demonize evil. It already is .......

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

@Medicine Crow was it a clip of him in an interview with Sean Hannity?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you -Arms just interviewed Dowd and it wasn't a complete anti-Hillary hen fest!

Thanks @NextIteration, that's the one.  It should be played & re-played all over the networks, but .....

1 minute ago, Medicine Crow said:

Thanks @NextIteration, that's the one.  It should be played & re-played all over the networks, but .....

ETA:  Any time I see Andrea Bitchell, I change the channel.  Journalist my butt!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Interesting find. Did he say it to a room full of people who had paid thousands of dollars to be in the same room as him?

I really don't think it matters where he said it.  He said it.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

@Medicine Crow was it a clip of him in an interview with Sean Hannity?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you -Arms just interviewed Dowd and it wasn't a complete anti-Hillary hen fest!

Remember, Dowd is peddling her book and given that Trump's followers are the "poorly educated" to quote their leader---if she is too critical of Hillary she won't sell any books to her followers.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

OR, they don't want to be on the receiving end of a thin-skinned, five-year-old's wrath.  Just sayin'.

Or, and this is kind of related, they don't want to be on the receiving end of a frivolous lawsuit from someone who's shown he has the money and desire to file frivolous lawsuits against people just to make their lives miserable. His strategy of intimidation works in many cases, sadly.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Or, and this is kind of related, they don't want to be on the receiving end of a frivolous lawsuit from someone who's shown he has the money and desire to file frivolous lawsuits against people just to make their lives miserable. His strategy of intimidation works in many cases, sadly.

That too, LOL.

37 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

Well it matters if you think a billionaire who lives in a gold-plated skyscraper with his name on the side of it is just a regular man of the people. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

I don't see why it would matter either. I watched his Pensacola rally (from Friday shown in full on MSNBC though not CNN or Fox) yesterday. All the way through. In front of crowds of thousands he says some very awful things. I don't see why its wrong for criticizing his followers for supporting the (fill in all "deplorable" things Hillary listed) that Trump routinely says. Plus the horrible PERSONAL attacks he makes on her, and the "lying media, the most dishonest people in the world."  Plus our "stupid officials" who are "corrupt" and "have rigged the system for their own personal benefit not for 'the people'".)  It's not the people themselves who are deplorable as human beings (some are, like Duke, the rest probably hear what they want to). But its their support for this man who lies effortlessly, is incredibly divisive and could become our next president that's so disgraceful.

I also enjoyed Hayes, Rachel and LOD last night.  Rachel's montage of recent presidents falling ill (including the scary "long form" of Bush I in Japan) helped put things in perspective.  I hope they'll play (and replay) the clip of Kellyanne this morning on CNN attacking Clinton for lacking transparency....then coming on an hour later and saying that Trump was "entitled to his privacy about his health."  She's very good at what she does--unfortunately, it's not something you should be proud to be good at.

• Love 12

Kellyanne this morning on CNN attacking Clinton for lacking transparency....then coming on an hour later and saying that Trump was "entitled to his privacy about his health." 

Speaking of Kellyanne, I don't know why the Clinton camp doesn't go after her stances on the LGBTQ community, she's one nasty, deplorable human being. She needs to be on that Deplorables poster as well, but the Klan also hates women so...

Edited by represent
  • Love 10

I have missed him so much, although this first segment seemed a little long.  And I know there really is that much baggage to Donald Trump.  Does anyone know which two days Keith he will be on, tuesday and thursday perhaps?  I can't wait to see his next appearance!!

13 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

although this first segment seemed a little long.

He said that he regretted that it would be so long, but he had much to address in the clip.  I understand that Keith's GQ posts might not be kosher here, but I'd love a mod to either create a group to post on this, or to direct us otherwise.  Thanks!

I am beyond aggravated at the *LIVE* logo on old speeches, which I just saw as I tuned in a minute past the start of "All In" -- they were showing Trump speaking and "Thanks, Obama" as the headline, and *LIVE* next to that, and I thought, oh, what now.  But it was a speech from July, which I finally saw in tiny, tiny print in the upper left corner, nowhere near the *LIVE* indication, and about a tenth of the size. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, represent said:

I'm cracking up at his glee over the CNN interview of Kellyanne Conway. "I'm sorry???," says Conway, LOL.  

I agree LOD, it was a thing of beauty.

I'm glad somebody finally asked for the IRS letter to see if Trump was actually being audited, but when KAC said to the interviewer (in her snide, smooth as silk way) "are you calling Donald Trump a liar" what did the interviewer say to that?  I wish Lawrence had played her response.

• Love 2

I enjoyed LOD playing Conway's failure moment in answering that question. However, I did think it was a bit unseemly for him to keep showing how he'd been tweeting that question himself a few times since May. Yes, he's been good to keep on the tax return angle and bring up that there's no proof of an audit. But just because he said it, doesn't mean Alisan didn't think of it herself. He made it sound like she asked it because of his tweeting which, unless she's one of the (how many thousands of followers) I doubt.

Kurt Eichenwald (for one) has also been on Trump about his taxes and mentioned releasing an audit letter in his Newsweek op/ed a month ago.

Looking forward to the Olberman viewing. I've missed him.

ETA:  Why are we so lucky in PST? We now get BriWi once at 8:00 (so in sync with EST) and then again at 11 our time.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, BennyB said:

Oh, you know.....she turned it back on HRC....and showed some (self)righteous indignation...."how dare you question my client's veracity"    I guess she's conveniently forgotten that she asked for DJT to release his taxes when she was running the Cruz campaign....I guess all is well now!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/13/politics/kellyanne-conway-liar-donald-trump/index.html

Thank you for the link.  I think seeing (or reading) more of the entire exchange showed KAC to be even more of a liar than where Lawrence stopped his clip.  She is a master of not answering any questions.  So the press is now badgering her when they won't take a non answer for an answer.   When are more people going to wise up?    

• Love 1

I really don't think it's strange that he went to see his regular doctor.  He's been seeing the guy for 39 years.  Why would he see someone else.  Nor do I think it's strange that the guy is a gastroenterologist instead of a general practitioner.  I'm assuming he's still an MD who can order normal lab tests and interpret them.  I didn't really understand Rachel's problem with this.

Having said all that, the part that is still suspect, is how much real information Trump will allow to be released.  The appearance on Dr Oz will be a side show.  We won't get any new information from that.  If I were Hillary, I would refuse to release any more medical records unless we get something real from Trump.  I wish she would just thumb her nose at the press on this.  They are going to give it a negative spin no matter what.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I really don't think it's strange that he went to see his regular doctor.  He's been seeing the guy for 39 years.  Why would he see someone else.  Nor do I think it's strange that the guy is a gastroenterologist instead of a general practitioner.  I'm assuming he's still an MD who can order normal lab tests and interpret them.  I didn't really understand Rachel's problem with this.

Having said all that, the part that is still suspect, is how much real information Trump will allow to be released.  The appearance on Dr Oz will be a side show.  We won't get any new information from that.  If I were Hillary, I would refuse to release any more medical records unless we get something real from Trump.  I wish she would just thumb her nose at the press on this.  They are going to give it a negative spin no matter what.

I am still skeptical that this even IS Trump's regular doctor. He looked pretty evasive even when NBC asked the simple question of when he had last seen Trump (probably when sitting in the limo, pressuring him to type up the letter Trump had written for him to put on his stationery and sign).  I think Rachel's problem is the whole thing seems shady as can be.

Not only that, but nobody mentions Trump's cover letter that said his doctor has been "Jacob" Bornstein for many years. Jacob Bornstein died in 2010. Yes, it could have been a slip of memory, but it's a pretty strange one if you've been seeing Harold for at least 6 years.

Andrea was just talking about Dr. Oz. In the course of an hour, the story went from "Trump was going to give him medical records but now is just talking about American's health." to "Dr. Oz says Trump told him some numbers (and, per photo, apparently handed him a "summary" of some of them) and Oz said "if you were my patient with these results, I'd be very pleased."  Actual report information is promised to be released "soon" to the public.

After reading that original letter--which, imo, no credible doctor would have put his name on, much less for a presidential candidate--I wouldn't believe anything Dr. Bornstein attests to. He seems like just another in a long line of people who can be dominated and manipulated by Trump. I hope Rachel keeps up the skepticism until there's clearly something factual coming our way.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

Thank you for the link.  I think seeing (or reading) more of the entire exchange showed KAC to be even more of a liar than where Lawrence stopped his clip.  She is a master of not answering any questions.  So the press is now badgering her when they won't take a non answer for an answer.   When are more people going to wise up?    

Oh she's good for claiming that she's being badgered when reporters are doing their job. She did it to Don Lemon, and he answered back with no, I want you to answer the question.

Note to journalist: You'll know you're doing your job when KAC starts bitching that you're badgering her.

• Love 5

Rachel is not the only skeptic on this topic!

And if you had considerable resources to spend on health care, why on earth would anyone choose Dr. Hazy?  Honestly, if I were going to a free clinic and he walked through the door, I'd ask for another doctor.  And he is not even a member of the College of Gastroenterology!  (Hint:  there is more involved in continuing certification than paying dues -- recertification and continuing medical education/CME courses are required, to keep doctors up to date.  Twenty years out of this cycle, a lot of innovation has been introduced!)   

And I wonder if his wife had to prompt him on what to do and to ask in the exam, if there was one?  Her role really seemed to be to keep the doctor on track, mentally. 

• Love 2

I have no idea why Dr. Oz inserted himself into this campaign in this manner. I thought he was more respected than this, which is why of course Trump would try to use him. That he took the bait or allowed ABC to force him to take the bait for ratings...yeah, he's lost my respect. I don't watch his show, but I still thought he had some credibility, maybe I just remember him from his days with Oprah and her pushing him on the scene. But this did't help him with me that's for sure, he should have stayed out of it.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't he?  He's in the TV business and the magazine business and the website business so having Trump on gives him ratings.    

If he was primarily a serious doctor now, maybe, but my impression is he's in show business.   This is not his first sketchy thing.

My that Flint Mayor did not welcome Trump's visit to the water plant.   So many times I've seen them do events to let Flint residents talk to visiting political or media people to get the word out--and nada for Trump.   Photo op--they've got his number.

• Love 6

A bunch of posts have been removed from this thread for tone and content.

First, I don't care what affiliation anyone believes in, but I do expect civility from everyone here. There is no reason to get personal. If someone says something you do not agree with, scroll or put on ignore if you cannot debate rationally.

Secondly, many of these posts have zip to do with programming. I have said this enough: On the show or no go. So please stop.

Also, Dr. Oz/Trump talk does not belong here.

Any questions, PM me.

Watching Trump in Flint on MSNBC.  He appears to be in a community center or church, very small venue.  He was saying "Hillary Clinton sent auto manufacturing jobs to Mexico, when a woman who appeared to be in charge (Pastor Faith Green-Timmons, we learned) walked up to him and told him to stop giving a political speech.  "You were here to say thank you, not give a speech."  She interrupted him two times, and finally walked up a third time and shook his hand to indicate he was finished.  He meekly accepted this treatment and thanked them.  Awesome.

Steve Kornacki is saying nothing about the interruption.  I'm sure someone will. 

ETA:  to correct the pastor's name, which was not the name Mr. Trump said.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7