Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Canadian Preverts, y'all know we love you...but how funny is it that a hotel in Toronto owned by a "rotting butternut squash with legs" (as he's called by The Rude Pundit) is in bankruptcy only four years after those lovely kids of his cut the ribbon?  Yep, he's some businessman, that's for sure!

• Love 10
19 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

*Raises hand*

Though, I'm (assuming) a bit younger than you.

I'm 30 now, if that helps.

ByTor's comment makes me sad. When Jeanne Cooper passed away, I had three generations of women on both sides of my family comment on that post, including some of the more technologically challenged. ;) We live in a golden age of TV but nothing today can unite people like that.

• Love 6

Actually, ya know what does seem to draw people together on FB? Spider posts. There's the one going around about that giant ass huntsman but I had another one that drew more comments than the one I made announcing my official separation from the Navy. :/

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

Canadian Preverts, y'all know we love you...but how funny is it that a hotel in Toronto owned by a "rotting butternut squash with legs" (as he's called by The Rude Pundit) is in bankruptcy only four years after those lovely kids of his cut the ribbon?  Yep, he's some businessman, that's for sure!

Weren't most of the investors in that little venture Russian? They will not be pleased.

• Love 7

LOL  the new chump tower in vancouver was supposed to have a grand opening soon but it's been moved back to january now.  also, the name on the tower is covered up and apparently, they are thinking of a name change..they have a contest going and someone could win a night in the hotel but there were hardly any entries.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

LOL  the new chump tower in vancouver was supposed to have a grand opening soon but it's been moved back to january now.  also, the name on the tower is covered up and apparently, they are thinking of a name change..they have a contest going and someone could win a night in the hotel but there were hardly any entries.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/trump-scion-hotels

Amidst reports that occupancy rates at Trump Hotels have slipped this election season, the company has announced that new brand hotels will no longer bear the Trump name.

The newest line of luxury hotels, geared towards millennials, will be called Scion, the company said.

55 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/trump-scion-hotels

Amidst reports that occupancy rates at Trump Hotels have slipped this election season, the company has announced that new brand hotels will no longer bear the Trump name.

The newest line of luxury hotels, geared towards millennials, will be called Scion, the company said.

Obviously, this is a heartbreaking turn of events. What's a (probably) fake billionaire to do.

• Love 10

ON 10/26/2016 AT 11:15 PM, CUPID STUNT SAID:

I've been looking for a new raincoat (It could happen in SoCal), but not much luck.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:47 PM, Anna Yolei said:

Me, too. The one I had since I was in college and lasted through my tour in Japan and back gave up the ghost in the middle of February and I didn't want to buy another one so close to summer.

I hear you, Anna. Clothes shopping is generally frustrating, but trying to find a utilitarian rain coat is impossible.

I want this -- Deep dolman sleeves, wide collars and double-breasted lapels, storm flaps and button tabs, full-body so I can wear a jacket underneath ...

0274.jpg

Unfortunately, the above example was made for British soldiers in The Great War.

I found this on Etsy instead -- It'll work ...

il_fullxfull.383191415_bv95.jpg

Apologies for the picture sizing, Chrome hates me today.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

The one place I've had success at finding a coat is Burlington Coat Factory. They've also got a decent collection of women's suits and work clothes as well.

Speaking of, it astounded me how many of my fellow sailors were too cheap to spring for civilian jackets when my last ship I served on was commissioned in Philadelphia two years ago because it was "only a week." Yeah, a week in below freezing! 

The funny thing is, on average, that winter ended up being pretty shitty and cold in Avondale (near NOLA), where we took delivery of the ship. 26 degrees for both Thanksgiving and Christmas (hooray for dual duty section!) and forty degree temperature swings every week that gave half the crew the flu. Thankfully, I had the hand tailored leather jacket from Korea as my trusted sidekick, and the old boy is now enjoying a retirement in my mom's closet in Northern California.

• Love 5

I hate people.

My cousin`s grandma is going into a home so my cousin is taking her bird. She asks me what to feed it. I tell her and explain she needs to keep it in a warm place, away from loud noises. Keep it out of the kitchen, away from toxic fumes, etc. She tells me her father says she can only keep it in the basement where it`s freezing. And there`s a sound system. I say put it in the office at night and close the door. She says her dad won`t like that. And she`s not keeping it in her room because it shits and she`s not breathing that in. And if it gets sick, she`s not bringing it to the vet, etc. Oh, and the bird is old. So you`re going to take an old, malnourished bird and keep it in your unheated basement. In Canada. With winter coming. Like fuck off. If you`re not going to take proper care of it, then don`t keep it and put it up for adoption. I just can`t with stupid people. I can`t.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

The one place I've had success at finding a coat is Burlington Coat Factory. They've also got a decent collection of women's suits and work clothes as well.

Speaking of, it astounded me how many of my fellow sailors were too cheap to spring for civilian jackets when my last ship I served on was commissioned in Philadelphia two years ago because it was "only a week." Yeah, a week in below freezing! 

The funny thing is, on average, that winter ended up being pretty shitty and cold in Avondale (near NOLA), where we took delivery of the ship. 26 degrees for both Thanksgiving and Christmas (hooray for dual duty section!) and forty degree temperature swings every week that gave half the crew the flu. Thankfully, I had the hand tailored leather jacket from Korea as my trusted sidekick, and the old boy is now enjoying a retirement in my mom's closet in Northern California.

I used to buy all my children's clothes at Burlington Coat Factory -- One-stop shopping and best clearance racks in L.A.

Some Preverts in the snow belt are probably rolling their eyes at us, whinging about winter in California. Well, it's not all swimming pools and movie stars -- cold, wet, damp, foggy, snowstorms in the mountains, mud slides, traffic at a standstill, the legislature in Sacramento is in session, people afraid of the rain, people wearing winter clothes they brought from the snow belt to keep warm when the temperatures dip past 40, electric heaters that don't make a dent in the damp.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I hate people.

My cousin`s grandma is going into a home so my cousin is taking her bird. She asks me what to feed it. I tell her and explain she needs to keep it in a warm place, away from loud noises. Keep it out of the kitchen, away from toxic fumes, etc. She tells me her father says she can only keep it in the basement where it`s freezing. And there`s a sound system. I say put it in the office at night and close the door. She says her dad won`t like that. And she`s not keeping it in her room because it shits and she`s not breathing that in. And if it gets sick, she`s not bringing it to the vet, etc. Oh, and the bird is old. So you`re going to take an old, malnourished bird and keep it in your unheated basement. In Canada. With winter coming. Like fuck off. If you`re not going to take proper care of it, then don`t keep it and put it up for adoption. I just can`t with stupid people. I can`t.

And this cousin undoubtedly thinks she's doing her gran a favor.  Gran should be thanking God these people aren't taking care of her, too.

I just hate people who treat animals as some sort of burden.  Mistreat, I mean...

• Love 10

Yup. And she`s pissed because she has to buy a cage and 50$ is a lot of money. And even if she could put it in another room and keep it behind a closed door, she refuses to because she has a cat and she won`t let her cat not have full access to the house because she loves her cat but isn`t a bird person. Like fuck off. It`s one room. Seriously. And it`s only when she`s not home. Ì can`t. I finally told her I have to go to bed. She texted me some more but I haven`t bothered to read it yet because I`m already livid.

• Love 8

This irritates me. Birds, and especially parrots, are beautiful creatures that are far more social and intelligent than we once gave them credit for. Dogs require less energy, and that's saying something.

is there a bird rescue near where you live?  If the parrot is too much for your cousin and she'd rather listen to her dad than the actual bird owner in the family (in which case, why did she bother asking?!) , they could reach out pair the little fellow with a far more suitable home.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I used to buy all my children's clothes at Burlington Coat Factory -- One-stop shopping and best clearance racks in L.A.

Some Preverts in the snow belt are probably rolling their eyes at us, whinging about winter in California. Well, it's not all swimming pools and movie stars -- cold, wet, damp, foggy, snowstorms in the mountains, mud slides, traffic at a standstill, the legislature in Sacramento is in session, people afraid of the rain, people wearing winter clothes they brought from the snow belt to keep warm when the temperatures dip past 40, electric heaters that don't make a dent in the damp.

The afraid of the rain bit is exclusive to Southern California ( Big Bear excluded). In NorCal, they get a shit ton of fog, especially near Davis and the I-80 causeway to Sacramento. They prefer rain to the fog. Especially me in a relatively tiny (although not quite as mini anymore) MINI.

But yeah, those living north of Bakersfield were having a good laugh the winter of 2012-2013 and the "cold snap" that had had reporters busting out ski jackets in LA at 60 degrees. In SF, that's called Tuesday. I distinctly remember this because I was awaiting transfer out of Yokosuka, Japan ( which had seen a bit of rare snow and would have a relatively huge snowstorm the following winter) and counting down the days until I could ditch my winter gear for shorts. It felt good going from near freezing temps on March 1st at five PM to 80 degree temps when I landed in 'Murica ten hours later....good times :p

i do feel bad for the huskies I see here, with their thick coats. I couldn't imagine owning such a dog out here.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

This irritates me. Birds, and especially parrots, are beautiful creatures that are far more social and intelligent than we once gave them credit for. Dogs require less energy, and that's saying something.

is there a bird rescue near where you live?  If the parrot is too much for your cousin and she'd rather listen to her dad than the actual bird owner in the family (in which case, why did she bother asking?!) , they could reach out pair the little fellow with a far more suitable home.

The bird hospital where I worked would take it. They would probably run some tests and if it's well, they would put it up for adoption. If there was something seriously wrong with it, like a tumor, they would euthanize. The people they would let adopt it would be people already familiar with birds, people they know aka clients. I told her this but she's not listening to me.

• Love 7

I was surprised I wasn't asked if I wanted to take it to begin with. But she doesn't seem to be offering. Especially considering my uncle hates all animals and they have a cat. And, my cousin has stated more than once that she doesn't like birds.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'd offer it as a suggestion anyway. The worst that happens is the bird stays where she is now, but at least the bug is placed in your cousin's ear when it all goes to pot.

And we all know it will. It would be a much better world if people would just see the sense of things. It would save a lot of pain and suffering down the road.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And we all know it will. It would be a much better world if people would just see the sense of things. It would save a lot of pain and suffering down the road.

I know you're talking about jewel21's dilemma with the bird, but were you also talking about a certain thing we in the USA all have to do on Tuesday?  Like...forget about meaningless bullshit invented "scandals", and *just see the sense of things*?  Because, seriously, y'all...I think I'm going to have a stroke before Wednesday.

• Love 9

True, but I've had to learn that people need to fall on their ass to begin fixing their lives sometimes. I won't gloat if someone needs my help when their way fails, but neither do I expend time and energy giving advice and solutions to people that don't really want it. It really hurts in cases involving children or animals, because they have no voice.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I know you're talking about jewel21's dilemma with the bird, but were you also talking about a certain thing we in the USA all have to do on Tuesday?  Like...forget about meaningless bullshit invented "scandals", and *just see the sense of things*?  Because, seriously, y'all...I think I'm going to have a stroke before Wednesday.

You and me both. I usually sleep like the dead, but lately I have terrible dreams, wake up in terror and can't go back to sleep. And I can't stay drunk all the time.

• Love 5

jewel21, do you think would Steve McQueen be ok with having a friend, or would he be the jealous type and view your cousin's bird as an unwelcome interloper?

Edited by Snaporaz
grammar matters
  • Love 5

He might not mind a pal. I know someone who placed parrots in a bird rescue and found a home in a day. Then visited it a wk later and they were thriving. 

That guy at work Joel who threw a crate that hit me then cussed at me after was suspended a wk without pay and returns on Monday morning. I don't really feel comfortable working around him or alone with him and honestly am so pissed off and triggered by his behavior. I told my store director this afternoon and he was all "no problem!  if he does anything he's fired immediately...I don't think he will...but he knows if he does he's gone." Then patted my arm.

Um. That's not reassuring to know or negating the issue. 

• Love 8

too bad you're not a 10th degree black belt in karate petunia13..

that is my one wish, that someone who attacks a person whom they think can't do anything about it (whether it be man or woman, but mostly i want it to be a woman), then gets the shit pommeled out of them. my 12 yr grand daughter takes jui jitsu and her father practices with her so i am hoping she will be safe no matter the situation.  same with my grandson who is autistic.  he has had to deal with bullies since grade 4..  however, the boy who was the biggest bully against him, is now about 5 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter and i don't think he would stand a chance.

• Love 5
On 2016-11-03 at 8:25 PM, Snaporaz said:

I had no idea orange face had a hotel in Toronto oh well there are plenty more it won't be missed.

On 2016-11-04 at 9:17 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

I'd rather spend the night in Vlad the Impaler's castle. 

I'm with you on that one I would get a better nights sleep knowing it is not own by orange face.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I've never seriously gave thought to moving out of this country before this year....not even during the Bush years. I'm part of the first generation of kids that got taught about racial equality as mandated curriculum and despite being black in a predominantly white school district, I felt more exclusion for being uncool than for being black. And now, I have the same friends that I swapped Pokemon cards with and had sleepovers with and ate lunch with every day in school who seem entirely ignorant of why every single minority group is banging their heads over Trump, who don't get why many are saying fuck the police, and don't understand that "good" black girls like me are far from a fringe minority.

the worst part of that is....I used to think these things, too. :( My mom pulled out away from Oakland when we were young. An opportunity came to move, she took it...that's what any mother should do, because you can't do anything if you're shot dead from gang crossfire or you've got drug pushers outside of ones grade school. But it came at the cost of a lost identity, one I didn't really begin looking into until well after I'd joined the Navy. I really believed educated black chicks were are rare as jade; part of that was the way I was raised, with a mom who was far closer to the whiter side of the scale and has a blind eye to any issue which doesn't directly affect her as it is....but a larger part was media depiction of blacks. There's a reason why, fucked up as Bill Cosby has been shown to be, people are fighting tooth and nail because for a generation that was *the* gold standard by which black America measured the success of their family.

But now? What the hell did anyone fight for? If there was any place in Canada with 70 degree temps year round, I'd have already migrated my ass there in January.

• Love 8

I think the worst thing Trump has done (and there are many, too many to list here) is bring things out in Americans that I thought were gone. It's like he's the thing under the rock that you turn over and scream because you never knew such horrors existed. All I can say is VOTE! In WA we have mail in voting and my husband and I voted a week ago, but I would stand in the rain all day and all night if it meant I got to vote for Hillary. #I'mWithHer.

• Love 12

I'm very bitter that I am financially unable to leave the country if the worst happens. Then I feel guilty about feeling bitter, because why should I leave my countrymen in a lurch? Besides, if fucknuts or his religious wackadoodle sidekick get access to the nuclear codes, there will be no safe place on the planet. 

I am stress eating like a mofo.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

jewel21, do you think would Steve McQueen be ok with having a friend, or would he be the jealous type and view your cousin's bird as an unwelcome interloper?

I'm not sure. Being at the animal hospital so often, he's used to hearing and seeing other birds. And, when there's another cockatiel at the animal hospital, I've been told he converses with them. Converses = Screaming.

When he was born, he was loose in a room with other cockatiels and I think some love birds and budgies. He really liked my brother's bird, Grumpy, but Grumpy wasn't too fond of Steve and I had to monitor them because Grumpy would try and peck Steve from time to time.

That being said, if I were to take in the budgie, I would quarantine it in another room for the first couple of weeks at least. And then maybe slowly start putting them together in the same room for an hour or two at a time and then take it from there.

But, like I said, my cousin isn't offering. They were supposed to go by and feed the bird today but didn't. My cousin is all like 'hopefully tomorrow.' I just hope the poor thing isn't dead by the time they finally get around to feeding it and bringing it to their place.

And I too haven't been able to sleep well with the American election drawing near. And I live in Canada.

• Love 9

I feel reasonably confident that Trump isn't going to win. I think some of the republicans only claim to support him in public but will actually vote for someone else when they're alone in the booth. Especially those spineless republican "leaders." 

What I am worried about is what will happen if he loses. How are some of his more unstable and/or violent supporters going to react. And how long will it take for our political system to recover from him.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 8

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/03/meet-donald-trump-s-top-fbi-fanboy.html

Ugh they're everywhere.

Assuming Clinton wins, one of the first things she needs to do is clean house at the feds. These FBI employees with ulterior motives leaking info to the media and scheming with pro-Trump political figures need to be exposed and fired. She also needs to look into whether or not FBI Director James Comey has broken any laws with his little letter to Congress, and do the same with that congressman who leaked the letter to the media. And FFS hire some Russian hackers to fix out IT security systems. Putin and Friends shouldn't be able to so easily interfere in our election. 

• Love 10

Jewel, you really have a way with animals; that comes through in your posts. If it makes me sick to think of your cousin getting custody of that poor bird, I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Just like people, animals deserve to live out their older years in comfort and with loving, respectful care. 

I cannot understand the media obsession with HRC's emails or how such emails captured the imagination of wingnut dildo farmers across the nation. Emails and servers are boring as hell. Meanwhile, the Puckered Anus has Russian spying, corrupt law enforcement, and repellent sexual behavior on offer. I'm genuinely ashamed when I drive by a lawn sporting Mussolini/Torquemada signs, like I have secondhand embarrassment for people who probably think I'm hell bound for my vote. It's hard to explain.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I cannot understand the media obsession with HRC's emails or how such emails captured the imagination of wingnut dildo farmers across the nation.

Republicans who are smart enough to know Trump can't win on his own merits but not smart enough to jump ship cling to the emails because they hope it's enough to keep Hilary out of office. As for the media, they're under the impression that they have to give the same amount of scrutiny to both sides - which they're not even doing since they ignore so much of Trump's illegal/amoral/shady behavior - even though in this case one side is flawed and the other side is insane and unfit to take care of a dead plant. 

• Love 8

God, this election. You guys COME LIVE WITH ME if the freak wins. I'm not even joking. Fucking hell. But we are all, the whole world, in serious trouble if this trash wins this election.

This Weekend, Let's Be Angry, Not Afraid

This was satisfying (and enraging) to watch. He sums up very nicely the horror of what is going on with the FBI. I have been so enraged since Comey's outrageous "letter" aaaaargh. But it's so so so much worse than I thought.

15 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I've never seriously gave thought to moving out of this country before this year....not even during the Bush years. I'm part of the first generation of kids that got taught about racial equality as mandated curriculum and despite being black in a predominantly white school district, I felt more exclusion for being uncool than for being black. And now, I have the same friends that I swapped Pokemon cards with and had sleepovers with and ate lunch with every day in school who seem entirely ignorant of why every single minority group is banging their heads over Trump, who don't get why many are saying fuck the police, and don't understand that "good" black girls like me are far from a fringe minority.

the worst part of that is....I used to think these things, too. :( My mom pulled out away from Oakland when we were young. An opportunity came to move, she took it...that's what any mother should do, because you can't do anything if you're shot dead from gang crossfire or you've got drug pushers outside of ones grade school. But it came at the cost of a lost identity, one I didn't really begin looking into until well after I'd joined the Navy. I really believed educated black chicks were are rare as jade; part of that was the way I was raised, with a mom who was far closer to the whiter side of the scale and has a blind eye to any issue which doesn't directly affect her as it is....but a larger part was media depiction of blacks. There's a reason why, fucked up as Bill Cosby has been shown to be, people are fighting tooth and nail because for a generation that was *the* gold standard by which black America measured the success of their family.

But now? What the hell did anyone fight for? If there was any place in Canada with 70 degree temps year round, I'd have already migrated my ass there in January.

Great (and touching) post, Anna. xo

• Love 12

That being said, if I were to take in the budgie,

It's only a budgie? What the hell is she bitching about? Budgies are a cakewalk compared to something like a cockatoo.

Mussolini/Torquemada

*dead*

God, this election. You guys COME LIVE WITH ME if the freak wins. I'm not even joking. Fucking hell. But we are all, the whole world, in serious trouble if this trash wins this election.

I love you.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Republicans who are smart enough to know Trump can't win on his own merits but not smart enough to jump ship cling to the emails because they hope it's enough to keep Hilary out of office. As for the media, they're under the impression that they have to give the same amount of scrutiny to both sides - which they're not even doing since they ignore so much of Trump's illegal/amoral/shady behavior - even though in this case one side is flawed and the other side is insane and unfit to take care of a dead plant. 

Quoted because it confirms my own belief in what is happening.  When a  person like Frump starts pre-accusing about election rigging, then you damn well know he is going to be the one doing it.  I am so ashamed to be an American right now.  The republican party should be quietly disbanded and never mentioned again for allowing this disgusting, unqualified jerk to run for president as their nominee.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/03/meet-donald-trump-s-top-fbi-fanboy.html

Ugh they're everywhere.

Assuming Clinton wins, one of the first things she needs to do is clean house at the feds. These FBI employees with ulterior motives leaking info to the media and scheming with pro-Trump political figures need to be exposed and fired. She also needs to look into whether or not FBI Director James Comey has broken any laws with his little letter to Congress, and do the same with that congressman who leaked the letter to the media. And FFS hire some Russian hackers to fix out IT security systems. Putin and Friends shouldn't be able to so easily interfere in our election. 

Trump keeps screaming Rigged Rigged well from what I can see the FBI just RIGGED the election so Trump would win.  Strange they came out with that letter when Trump was tanking and now look what has happened.  JMHO

• Love 6
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think the worst thing Trump has done (and there are many, too many to list here) is bring things out in Americans that I thought were gone. It's like he's the thing under the rock that you turn over and scream because you never knew such horrors existed. All I can say is VOTE! In WA we have mail in voting and my husband and I voted a week ago, but I would stand in the rain all day and all night if it meant I got to vote for Hillary. #I'mWithHer.

To be fair, I think The Wasilla Hillbilly (I will not say her name...if you say her name, she appears...) is like the alien queen in Aliens.  She gave birth to the Tea Party, and she was the original voice for all of those people who couldn't stand the thought of a black family living in The White House.  Comrade Fuckface von Clownstick is merely an offshoot of that.  It just seems like he started it because he isn't speaking in the coded language they used.

No early voting or mail-in voting here in Pennsylvania.  But I will wait however long it takes to vote.  #I'mWithHerToo

• Love 10