Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I live in an equestrian area where all the lots are an acre and a quarter and some streets are dirt. When we first moved here there was one family on our street with a couple of kids who came for trick or treating but that was 18 years ago and they are all grown up now. There's actually one street a few blocks from me that they designate as Halloween Street where everyone decorates and that's where they take the kids. I still buy candy, just in case...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I live in an equestrian area where all the lots are an acre and a quarter and some streets are dirt. When we first moved here there was one family on our street with a couple of kids who came for trick or treating but that was 18 years ago and they are all grown up now. There's actually one street a few blocks from me that they designate as Halloween Street where everyone decorates and that's where they take the kids. I still buy candy, just in case ...

Woe to those who are not prepared for hobgoblins on All Hallows' Eve.

Day of the Dead parade -- life imitates art in Mexico City

Are you still thinking about coloring books, Peaches?

61BtT7dfr5L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Love 9

More and more, parents are taking their children to “Trunk or Treat” gatherings  organized by their churches and towns. There’s so much meanness in the world now that parents are afraid of taking their kids door to door for the most part. That makes me sad because door to door was so much fun when our kids were little. 

• Love 7

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like candy very much. I hate hard candy, even as a kid. Halloween was spent with my brothers and I trading our candy at the end of the evening. I would give away my rockets and lollypops for chips and chocolate, heh. Even now, the only candy I love is soft candy like jujubes, Swedish berries, gummy bears, and cherry blasters. 

On a separate note, I came across a doggie the other day. I was leaving for work and saw this cute little black and white dog just walking by himself across the street, stopping to pee and poop. I followed him and approached. He was scared and shook a bit but I started to pet him and he let me. I tried picking him up three times only to have him growl softly and show me his overbite. Finally, I picked him up and he growled and then I heard a 'hey.' Big guy in a red truck with the window rolled down. I asked if it was his dog and he said his name was Oreo and he'd run out. I heaved the dog through the window but he didn't' seem happy to see his owner. No wagging tail or kisses, he just turned around, put his paws up on the door, and growled at me again. So much for doing a good deed, heh. 

• Love 11
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, OhioSongbird said:

ByTor....I will join your sister!  Some of my favorite childhood candies.  Just telling the Mr. last nite I was craving candy corn.....and I really like the peanuts.  Remember candy necklaces?  Small multi-flavored discs you wore on a string around your neck.  Cost a nickel back in the day.  Trouble is as you ate them the sugar would get wet (you ate them right off the string as you wore them) and all melty/sticky around your neck and turn it colors.  My Mom hated getting all the colors off our clothes....

Necco Wafers anyone?

Necco Wafers which were and still are my favorite candy may or may not continue to be made.  The New England Confectionary Company went out of business in May of this year.  Apparently there was an auction and they went to Bankruptcy Court.  The news here https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180601005480/en/New-England-Confectionery-Company-“NECCO”-Acquired-Metropoulos

says that they were purchased and will now be known as Sweetheart Candy Company.  I don't care for the pale imitations of Valentine hearts.  I'd rather have Necco Wafers with my favorites being orange, brown and black wafers.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like candy very much. I hate hard candy, even as a kid.

Yeah, some kids hate things everybody else seems to love.  I think my nephew is the only kid (kid, LOL, he'll be 30 in 2 weeks) in the history of forever who never liked ice cream.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like candy very much. I hate hard candy, even as a kid. Halloween was spent with my brothers and I trading our candy at the end of the evening. I would give away my rockets and lollypops for chips and chocolate, heh. Even now, the only candy I love is soft candy like jujubes, Swedish berries, gummy bears, and cherry blasters. 

On a separate note, I came across a doggie the other day. I was leaving for work and saw this cute little black and white dog just walking by himself across the street, stopping to pee and poop. I followed him and approached. He was scared and shook a bit but I started to pet him and he let me. I tried picking him up three times only to have him growl softly and show me his overbite. Finally, I picked him up and he growled and then I heard a 'hey.' Big guy in a red truck with the window rolled down. I asked if it was his dog and he said his name was Oreo and he'd run out. I heaved the dog through the window but he didn't' seem happy to see his owner. No wagging tail or kisses, he just turned around, put his paws up on the door, and growled at me again. So much for doing a good deed, heh. 

You're not alone jewel21. I've never been a candy person, and wasn't in a major way, even as a kid. Oddly, packaging fascinated me, but the contents usually bored me pretty quickly. And I loathe hard candies or those dry sugary things. Salty, fatty, and fried are my things.

Thank heavens for your care for animals!

• Love 8

Oh, yeah.  Chocolate covered grahams are awesome.  Reminds me I haven't had any in a long time.

I am a candy freak.  Very little I don't care for except shredded coconut (Mounds and Almond Joys...ironically  Mr. Songbird's fav), licorice and Twizzlers....ugh, vile candy. Don't know if Esther Price candy is in you area....started in Dayton so it's all over here.  Excellent stuff.  They just came out with a dark chocolate over caramel with sea salt, available in groceries by the piece.  OMG...to die for!

Hubby had a dog rescue incident a couple years back.  On his way to work and the traffic wasn't moving and he could see people milling around.  He got out to look and a chiguagua was cowering under a small delivery van.  Traffic was backing up both ways and no one could coax it out so my dh (who is an animal lover to the max) got down on the ground and tried to pick him up.....proceeded to get the shit chewed out of his hand...and the little bastard ran off.  Went to Urgent Care at my insistence (within walking distance from his work...he can see it out the front window)  3 shots and bandages later he was back at work.

I love that man.....

• Love 8

Poor hubby. I was definitely scared of being bit but said f-it and picked him up anyway. Maybe not the smartest idea, but I was going to be late for work and was in a hurry. 

@Petunia13 - that was my concern as well. It made me really sad and I'm still thinking about the interaction. Poor boy was scared. And the owner looked like a tool. Poor, baby. 

• Love 8

Sweetheart!

NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week

NOT REAL NEWS: Monster beverage company not selling caffeinated ham

THE FACTS: A California-based beverage company is not selling caffeinated “energy” ham, despite an image circulating widely on social media. A digitally altered photo of a package that appeared to contain ham created by Monster Energy Company is the handiwork of Adam Padilla, or “adam.the.creator,” an internet personality known for creating false and satirical images. Padilla first shared the image on Instagram on Oct. 30 with his social media handle included as a watermark on the bottom left of the packaging. “Yes I created the image,” Padilla said in a text message to the AP. “I digitally manipulated the package design in Adobe Photoshop as part of my daily meme creation.” Michael Sitrick, a spokesman for Monster, also told the AP that “Monster does not sell ‘energy’ or any ham for that matter.”

That's a relief.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hey......if anybody is still in a Halloween mood I have another good movie.  Ghost Ship w/ Julianna Margulies.  Really high suspense.  Check it out.  I was straightening up my DVDs and found it so we watched it last nite.

I am always in the Halloween mood. Thanks!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Daylight saving time ends Sunday: 8 things to know about “falling back”

3) Does it actually lead to energy savings?

As Joseph Stromberg outlined in an excellent 2015 Vox article, the presumed electricity conservation from the time change is unclear or nonexistent:

I knew it!!!  I'm thrilled to see it in black & white.  Could we PLEASE stop this and just stick to one time all year?  

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I knew it!!!  I'm thrilled to see it in black & white.  Could we PLEASE stop this and just stick to one time all year?  

YES!  

And I've got this dog that doesn't understand why dinner time is now an hour later and breakfast is an hour later and I bet everyone with pets understands what I mean.....

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, boes said:

YES!  

And I've got this dog that doesn't understand why dinner time is now an hour later and breakfast is an hour later and I bet everyone with pets understands what I mean.....

yep....my dog and cat know what time they eat at and they don't like this change one bit..

nickel, my dog, sits in front of me and stares...i figure it's the vulcan mind meld but i make him wait another hour anyway.

• Love 9

Yeah....my cat gets put out at night ....don't like to deal with a litter box inside anymore (he lets me know he when he wants out to do his business during the day) and he was pissed as hell.  I get up between 4-5 and he's usually waiting at the back door.  Eats, gets his pets and proceeds to crash most of the day in his favorite chair.  I got bitched out for 5 minutes and he was in rather a huff for the rest of the morning.  We keep a bowl of dry dog food out so dog eats when she wants.  Funny thing  is cat doesn't like cat food....he prefers dog food.  I've got a 5 lb bag of 9 Lives sitting in the corner.

Go figure....

• Love 6
1 minute ago, OhioSongbird said:

Yep...but it gives her the runs. 

I'm guessing it's meat overload.  The same thing happens to my dog when I let her eat too much chicken...she would eat twice her weight in chicken if I let her!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ByTor said:

5 hours ago, boes said:

YES!  

I've got a brain and stomach that follows their own clock, and takes a lot of convincing to fall back.

Melvin is on an automatic feeder and it's easier to not change the timer, otherwise his short-circuited little brain would be grousing about his immutable schedule … 

Prince’s estate announce roll-out of rare music videos

The Prince Estate have announced plans to reveal rare and previously unseen music videos originally released between 1995-2010 ...

Going forward, videos will be released in weekly batches and will draw from a 15 year period in which Prince released 23 different albums.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

And embarrassing when you want to go to bed at 7:30 :)

BYTOR, just wait.  When you reach a "certain age", the embarrassment goes and it's glorious!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

I never do, I just wake up 1 hour earlier :(

Same with me.  

We voted in California to end the nonsense and it passed but it still needs an act of Congress to allow the state to opt out.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, boes said:

Same with me.    

Me too … <groan>

We voted in California to end the nonsense and it passed but it still needs an act of Congress to allow the state to opt out.  

California voters reject the tyranny of daylight saving clock changes -- Now, will the state legislature?

Bureaucrats are maddening.

California and Florida both pass animal welfare laws to require more space for farmed animals and to end commercial greyhound racing

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

Those creepy wings, they are scary as hell.  Don't even get me started on dragonflies!  There was one around all summer who stalked me...yes it was the same one and I am sticking to that story! :)

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Come visit me in June.  It's awesome!  We are surrounded by woods and the show is something to see.

I wish I could. That was when I lived in Chicago. I see you are in Ohio are the summers as hot as Chicago?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'm fascinated by the monarch butterfly migration, the swallows returning to Capistrano, the grunion run, tidal pools … there's a perfect symmetry in their pursuit of the next generation.

Whales travelling from Alaska to Hawaii.

• Love 6