Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On 10/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, Snaporaz said:

I'm enjoying the cooler weather, but I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. 

Certainly not mine...I'm miserable and plan to be for the next 7 or so months.

giphy.gif 

• Love 7

Canadian rapper dies in stunt while rapping on plane wing 

VERNON, British Columbia. (AP) — A Canadian rapper died while performing a stunt that involved rapping while walking on the wing of a plane.

British Columbia’s Coroners Service says 34-four-year-old Jon James McMurray died while working with a team making videos of airplane stunts and parachuting in that province Saturday.

McMurray manager Ryan Desrochers says the rapper had trained “intensively” for the stunt but as he moved farther out onto a wing the small Cessna went into a downward spiral. The manager says McMurray held onto the wing too long and by the time he let go he didn’t have time to open his parachute.

The plane and pilot later landed safely. The death is being investigated.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Canadian rapper dies in stunt while rapping on plane wing 

VERNON, British Columbia. (AP) — A Canadian rapper died while performing a stunt that involved rapping while walking on the wing of a plane.

British Columbia’s Coroners Service says 34-four-year-old Jon James McMurray died while working with a team making videos of airplane stunts and parachuting in that province Saturday.

McMurray manager Ryan Desrochers says the rapper had trained “intensively” for the stunt but as he moved farther out onto a wing the small Cessna went into a downward spiral. The manager says McMurray held onto the wing too long and by the time he let go he didn’t have time to open his parachute.

The plane and pilot later landed safely. The death is being investigated.

Yeah, this was a tragic story.

• Love 6

"Damn, who's your trainer?" 

Me, smiling modestly: "I'm on the Grocery Work Out plan." 

I've been throwing so many pallets and liquor loads I'm gonna have those defined arms soon ???

I'm with those above who like Fall. I'm not crazy about any weather intensity like too cold or too humid or too rainy. Temperate is perfect, but places with that weather in the US like San Francisco are insanely expensive and have tons of people vying to live there. 

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween or doing anything cool? I am working the day before and day of as a Dog. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

"Damn, who's your trainer?" 

Me, smiling modestly: "I'm on the Grocery Work Out plan." 

I've been throwing so many pallets and liquor loads I'm gonna have those defined arms soon ???

That's one way to do it. Keep working that core, and proper lifting position to protect your back. 

I'm with those above who like Fall. I'm not crazy about any weather intensity like too cold or too humid or too rainy. Temperate is perfect, but places with that weather in the US like San Francisco are insanely expensive and have tons of people vying to live there. 

I love the clear blue skies, crisp nights, turning leaves -- All the stuff we don't get in SoCal.

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween or doing anything cool? I am working the day before and day of as a Dog. 

You are going to look so cute!

A group of us are going as characters from the terrible movie Van Helsing, My GFs and I are going as Dracula's brides, I'm still working on keeping the fangs in my mouth when I talk. Mr.Stunt's going as Count Dracula. Our Van Helsing (and originator of the group Halloween theme idea) is coughing and feverish (early stages of the flu) and might not make it for the party Saturday. Mr.Stunt's birthday party is Halloween night, next Wednesday.

3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i will be dressing up in my housecoat and slippers to appear as someone who is getting ready for bed.

Happy Halloween Neighbors! 

• Love 14

Same here valleycliffe.  In the boonies so no kids.  When we lived in the city and boychild was young we had tons of kids in the neighborhood and I would dress up as a witch every year and pass out candy and apples.  My hair was down to my waist then so I would tease it and put baby powder on it to make me grey, full makeup, etc.  Our house was an old 1901 Victorian  (10 rooms, full attic) that had been empty for years and when we moved in the kids on our street told me it was haunted.....turns out they were right but he was friendly.  Lived there 25 years.

Good times.....

• Love 13
2 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Same here valleycliffe.  In the boonies so no kids.  When we lived in the city and boychild was young we had tons of kids in the neighborhood and I would dress up as a witch every year and pass out candy and apples.  My hair was down to my waist then so I would tease it and put baby powder on it to make me grey, full makeup, etc.  Our house was an old 1901 Victorian  (10 rooms, full attic) that had been empty for years and when we moved in the kids on our street told me it was haunted.....turns out they were right but he was friendly.  Lived there 25 years.

Good times.....

I love those old Victorians and so did Charles Addams.

• Love 7

Have any of you been watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix?  I'm not sure about this because I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think the girl who played The Other Faith is in it.  It's hard to tell because she has really dark hair, but I swear it's her playing young Theo.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Have any of you been watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix?  I'm not sure about this because I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think the girl who played The Other Faith is in it.  It's hard to tell because she has really dark hair, but I swear it's her playing young Theo.

yes, it's mckenna grace...

both the faith actresses are in high demand for movies it seems..

but then, both of the girls are fantastic.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

I really want to watch that but sadly, don't have NetFlix. Too cheap to shell out for it I guess. Have you ever read any of Shirley Jackson's books? Hill House was really good but I would highly recommend We Have Always Lived In The Castle.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I really want to watch that but sadly, don't have NetFlix. Too cheap to shell out for it I guess. Have you ever read any of Shirley Jackson's books? Hill House was really good but I would highly recommend We Have Always Lived In The Castle.

I love Shirley Jackson too.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle is one of my favorites.  I re-read both that and The Haunting of Hill House every couple of years and they both still keep me on the edge.

The Netflix show was IMO okay, not great, BUT unlike the remake a couple of years ago which I hated, this one at least  used an original script instead of attempting to retell her story.  You can't beat the 1963 Robert Wise movie IMO.

Edited by boes
  • Love 6

You can't beat the 1963 Robert Wise movie IMO.

No you can not. I too hated the remake. The only part that was rather droll was leaving in the lines: "No one lives any nearer than town. No one will come any nearer that that. In the night. In the dark."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6

Love The Haunting....one of our faves.  Think we may watch it tonight.....have it on VHS.

Also The Legend of Hell House and one if you haven't seen it, Something Wicked This Way Comes based on a novel by Ray Bradbury.  Jonathan Pryce is fine and a damn fine actor.  Check it out.  Also stars Jason Robards.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Love The Haunting....one of our faves.  Think we may watch it tonight.....have it on VHS.

Also The Legend of Hell House and one if you haven't seen it, Something Wicked This Way Comes based on a novel by Ray Bradbury.  Jonathan Pryce is fine and a damn fine actor.  Check it out.  Also stars Jason Robards.

We have Hell House in HD. While it is one of my favorite scary movies ever, I would not recommend watching it in HD. The actors teeth are the scariest part. Our go to Halloween movies are The Changeling, Hell House, The People Under The Stairs, The Old Dark House and the Frankenstein Collection. Oh, and the Frank Langella's Dracula. Music by John Williams.

• Love 5

I got The Changeling from the library a few days ago.  I think I saw it a long time ago but you've mentioned it before so I'm gonna check it out.

Oh...I bought the DVD of Dracula with FL.  He can bite my neck anytime...those smoldering eyes!!!

Swoon.....

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I got The Changeling from the library a few days ago.  I think I saw it a long time ago but you've mentioned it before so I'm gonna check it out.

Oh...I bought the DVD of Dracula with FL.  He can bite my neck anytime...those smoldering eyes!!!

Swoon.....

I saw that the first time at the drive in. Fell madly in love with FL. 

• Love 7

Jan in the pan on MST3K?

The Uninvited as a ghost story.

I have a theory about the 'dead teenager movies'. Some retired teachers in 'the happy home' write them. Just sit around weaving baskets and thinking of inventive ways to kill teenagers.

• Love 10

Anybody got a good recipe for bread pudding?  I make a soda bread and always have ends left over so I cleaned them out of the freezer and want to use 'em.  DH loves bread pudding (his Mom made the best I'm told...:-) and I've only made it a couple of times so......I need a little help from my friends.....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

Anybody got a good recipe for bread pudding?  I make a soda bread and always have ends left over so I cleaned them out of the freezer and want to use 'em.  DH loves bread pudding (his Mom made the best I'm told...:-) and I've only made it a couple of times so......I need a little help from my friends.....

Ina Garten has a couple of good ones.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

I CAN'T GET RID OF THE DAMN STRIKE-OUT--sorry

I don't follow a recipe, but I've made it for years, so no promises. Also depends on the volume of bread, and kind of bread--***dense breads, made without yeast, will need more liquid to sog them up [my terminology]: This is a basic formula.

Roughly 1 loaf or at least 4 cups torn-up stale bread of any kind***

4 eggs, beaten

2--3 cups whole milk, milk & cream, milk & carnation, or whatever you've got around--and if it looks too dry after cooking for a while, you may need more

1 tsp vanilla

some salt

3/4--1 cup sugar [I prefer brown sugar]

1 tsp cinnamon, if you like it in this. Some people prefer nutmeg to cinnamon--both is not too nice.

2 T melted butter, or more

raisins, if you want--but--caution: if they rise to the top while this is baking, they'll burn, and that's nasty--you have to more or less push them down

Butter a largish baking pan--I prefer ceramic or glass--metal causes bottoms to burn. I don't like 9X13 pans, and I've found deep pans or loaf pans deliver more creamy interior

Mix eggs, dairy products, including melted butter, and everything but the bread together--except those raisins of course.

Deal with the raisins, if you're using them.

Pour the liquid over the bread and poke at it until all the bread is soaked. If it looks too dry, add more milk/cream.

Some people will now allow this mixture to sit for around 15 minutes or so before baking. Depends on your mood.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for around 40 minutes, Mild caution here: if your oven runs hot, try 325 for a bit longer time.

If you like, sprinkle more melted butter and sugar over the top 10 minutes before it's done and continue baking.

Take it out, and see if the top springs back when you poke it gently. It's basically a custard with bread in it, so no overcooking.

That produces a reasonable product--my mother thought of it as filler, or "Depression Food," so we didn't get it much at home.

Edited by pearlite
your coding's a mess--what's with the strike-out?
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Now The Uninvited is one to add to my list.  Don't think I've seen it.  RM is good in horror/thriller flicks.  Just caught The Man with the X-Ray Eyes a couple of days ago the tube.

Oh, that's a great one, I lost quite a bit of sleep over that back in the day. Another mind blower is The Incredible Shrinking Man. Have you had a chance to watch The Changeling yet? Whatever you do, don't watch it alone. I tried to once. Not wise.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Not yet.  Been waiting for dh to join me but he's been busy or not interested.  I'll watch it myself if I have to dammit!  Watched FL's Dracula last nite after he went to bed.  Soooo good.

I'm going to watch that tonight. At least make sure Mr. Songbird is home even if he doesn't watch it. It's spooooky..

• Love 4
On 10/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

Netflix is offering a one-month free trial, peaches.  They're pretty good for that and there really is no catch.  Haunting of Hill House is only 10 episodes (I only have one left), so you would be able to finish it during the trial period.  So far, I'm liking it, but I haven't seen any of the other versions to have a comparison.  It's very slow-moving and creepy, and there are lots of moments that make you jump.  I haven't read any of Shirley Jackson's books, which surprises me because I remember having to read her short story "The Lottery" in 8th grade and really liking it.  (That was the lesson on irony...maybe Alanis Morissette should read it!)

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Netflix is offering a one-month free trial, peaches.  They're pretty good for that and there really is no catch.  Haunting of Hill House is only 10 episodes (I only have one left), so you would be able to finish it during the trial period.  So far, I'm liking it, but I haven't seen any of the other versions to have a comparison.  It's very slow-moving and creepy, and there are lots of moments that make you jump.  I haven't read any of Shirley Jackson's books, which surprises me because I remember having to read her short story "The Lottery" in 8th grade and really liking it.  (That was the lesson on irony...maybe Alanis Morissette should read it!)

Thanks snap, I'll check it out. God, did everybody in the world have to read that story in eight grade? It's a good story though. Alanis Morrisette needs a dictionary.

Thinking of scary movies while vacuuming today I remembered I really liked Jeepers Creepers 2. Probably because it stars my boyfriend Ray Wise. Not really scary but really good camera work, effects and make up. 

Spoiler

Boy: What's the story on this thing?

Taggert: Whatever you've heard, probably.

Boy: You expect us to think that that thing's real?

Taggert: Don't really care.

Boy: How'd you kill it?

Taggert: Stabbed it right through the heart, with a big homemade harpoon.

[awkward silence]

Girl: When?

Taggert: About twenty-three years ago.

[another awkward silence]

Boy: You waiting for something?

Taggert: About three more days, give or take a day or two.

• Love 8

peaches, we finally watched The Changeling last night.  It was stormy and windy outside so the atmosphere was perfect.  You were right.....my creep factor was turned up to 11!  Loved it.  The house alone did it but the suspense is great.  Thanks for the recommendation....

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

peaches, we finally watched The Changeling last night.  It was stormy and windy outside so the atmosphere was perfect.  You were right.....my creep factor was turned up to 11!  Loved it.  The house alone did it but the suspense is great.  Thanks for the recommendation....

Most of it was filmed at various historical places in Canada but the house...they built that house just for the movie so they could 

Spoiler

burn it down.

I'm really glad you liked it, it's definite;y one of my favorites and I only discovered it a couple years ago from another internet pal.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, boes said:

Brilliant!!  Are those yours, Cupid Stunt?

I originally saw this display 8+ years ago in a Better Homes and Gardens issue, and we co-opted the idea for the sidewalk entry and on the patio. They're easy to do -- electric drill and a spade bit (AKA paddle bit) for the letters.

We have almost 1 1/2 gallons of dried pumpkin seeds from decorating and the carving contest -- One party down, one to go.

Who needs Frankenstein when we have pipe bombs and Pittsburg?

• Love 9
On 10/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, that's a great one, I lost quite a bit of sleep over that back in the day. Another mind blower is The Incredible Shrinking Man. Have you had a chance to watch The Changeling yet? Whatever you do, don't watch it alone. I tried to once. Not wise.

8 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Thank you, Peacheslatour for suggesting The Changeling!  I'd never seen it, don't know how I missed it, and just finished it.  What a GREAT ghost story, and I agree with Ohiosongbird, the creep factor is at least 11.  Thank Dog for closed captioning - I put those on during the sceance so I could hear the ghost.

That house.....loved it loved it loved it.  Ever since I was a kid I loved old places and old things, the dustier and older, the better.  That place was as big a player as any of the actors.  Such a treat to see Melvyn Douglas, too.  He was terrific in Ghost Story, right around the same time and of course I Never Cried for My Father.  

Thank you again for this, it was a finger on the spine chiller delight!!

• Love 5