Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

You just gave me an idea for my leftover chicken!  I have some tortillas I think will work nicely.

Thanks...it was headed to the freezer.

I have never tried it with tortillas!  That sounds like some grated cheese might work in the filling too.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

I suck at  pie crust.  My Mom made the best and tried to teach me but nuh-uh.  Pillsbury and I are best buds, too.

Now I'm craving a turkey sandwich.  Whole wheat toast, mayo, Swiss cheese and lettuce......

There's nothing wrong with Pillsbury/pre-made pie crusts; they do everything they're supposed to do. And cradling the delicious filling in a light pastry crust is all you really hope for.

All these food posts have me in the mood for a turkey sandwich, too. I wonder what deli has cranberry sauce on the side?

To all the Gulf Coasters -- Hurricane Michael has made landfall.

National Hurricane Center

Be safe out there!

• Love 9

My brother and sis-in-law are in St. Pete.  Haven't been able to get thru today but they are prepared...as well as they can be.  They've been thru this before but this one is a monster.  He might have even gone to a shelter tho he's a stubborn cuss.  Kinda runs in the family.

Everyone pray and stay safe!

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

My brother and sis-in-law are in St. Pete.  Haven't been able to get thru today but they are prepared...as well as they can be.  They've been thru this before but this one is a monster.  He might have even gone to a shelter tho he's a stubborn cuss.  Kinda runs in the family.

Everyone pray and stay safe!

You got it, Ohio.

Met Mr.Stunt at Canter's for their Blue Plate hot turkey sandwich and slice of apple pie … If there is a God there will be a Canter's in Heaven.

• Love 4

Just out of curiosity......what do you call a roast beef or turkey sandwich, cut in half, served with mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy in your area?

My neck of the woods (southern OH, northern KY) calls it a "hot shot".  Was up at Lake Erie once and the waitress didn't know what I meant.  Described it for her and she said "Oh.  You mean an open face sandwich".

Again just curious.  Also an excellent use for left over turkey.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

Just out of curiosity......what do you call a roast beef or turkey sandwich, cut in half, served with mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy in your area?

My neck of the woods (southern OH, northern KY) calls it a "hot shot".  Was up at Lake Erie once and the waitress didn't know what I meant.  Described it for her and she said "Oh.  You mean an open face sandwich".

1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

I call it GET IN MAH BELLY

(also, hot turkey or roast beef sandwich)

Same. 

; )

Blue Plate Specials usually are served with gravy.

When I waitressed it was called a hot shot, but I thought that was restaurant shorthand. 

• Love 5

Ya know.....that makes total sense.  My Mom was a waitress all her life and that's where I heard that term.  She worked at a bowling alley/restaurant in our neighborhood...Pastime Lanes.  10 alleys on one side and a small eatery/bar on the other side.  Run by a super nice Hungarian couple and this woman could cook.  Folks came from all over to eat her cabbage rolls.  Ironically I do not like cabbage rolls but they made the best beef hot shots in town.  When I was in high school our GAA (Girls Athletic Association) held our bowling league there on Saturday mornings and we would all  have cheeseburgers for lunch.

Memories...... 

• Love 7

George is at doggie daycare ? I don't think he likes it but it's for his well being. 

Work is good I'm learning a lot. It's funny how each grocery store kind has a different character and vibe. I sell a lot of the cheese shoppe items which is funny since I'm vegan, I guess I'm really persuasive ? Wine is doing good too! 

• Love 9

You're doing the right thing for everyone concerned, Petunia.

George will acclimate being in a new situation with other dogs. If you're positive about the experience, he'll be encouraged.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new job. A good sales person can sell anything. And wine never hurts. 

; )

• Love 9
On 10/10/2018 at 3:59 PM, OhioSongbird said:

Former Lake County resident and yup Opened Faced. Not sure how far down south that goes but at least Youngstown as far as I recall. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

why do I think @Cupid Stunt would laugh at this "pin up"? 

To quote Barry White, "Oooooh Baby, Baby … Mmmmhmmm!"

These are my people, caught up in the pumpkin spirit. I love how the stems are pointing in different directions … just like nipples in real life. 

Foo Fighters Invite 10-Year-Old Fan on Stage, Wunderkind Steals Show

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

I just sent my first short story to The Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Contest and I had to tell someone. It was kind of scary sending it out to strangers, but what the heck, it was only $30 and maybe at the least, I'll get some helpful, professional feedback. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I just sent my first short story to The Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Contest and I had to tell someone. It was kind of scary sending it out to strangers, but what the heck, it was only $30 and maybe at the least, I'll get some helpful, professional feedback. 

Oh, wow. I think that takes guts. Best of luck, I hope you become a famous writer and we can all say we know you.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 10

I managed to catch the cold from hell. It's been a week yesterday and I still feel horrible. My throat won't stop hurting but at least I somewhat got my voice back. Except now I'm getting the congestion part of the cold that finally decided to kick in. I missed work today at the eye place and will miss work tomorrow at the other place. Being sick sucks. I need money, damn it. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I managed to catch the cold from hell. It's been a week yesterday and I still feel horrible. My throat won't stop hurting but at least I somewhat got my voice back. Except now I'm getting the congestion part of the cold that finally decided to kick in. I missed work today at the eye place and will miss work tomorrow at the other place. Being sick sucks. I need money, damn it. 

I know how you feel. I was up all last night coughing. Bleh. Tonight, I have Nyquil, so yay me?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hope everyone had a good night's sleep. I must say the Nyquil worked a treat.

Good wishes from me, too.

Already did not enjoy two weeks of fall's opening cold--universities are germ-pits, but I often make it to November... Not this year. I suspect it's the result of enduring two strikes last year, one five months long, so no summer time off.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hope everyone had a good night's sleep. I must say the Nyquil worked a treat.

Lucky! Nyquil can be amazing. I didn't take any last night but plan to tonight. 

I slept so-so but woke up today with an even worse sore throat than the day before. I should be getting better, not worse *cries* It's been 10 days and I appear to be regressing. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Lucky! Nyquil can be amazing. I didn't take any last night but plan to tonight. 

I slept so-so but woke up today with an even worse sore throat than the day before. I should be getting better, not worse *cries* It's been 10 days and I appear to be regressing. 

Have you seen a doctor? It sounds to me like you may have strep throat. Might need some antibiotics. ((hugs))

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you seen a doctor? It sounds to me like you may have strep throat. Might need some antibiotics. ((hugs))

I haven't. It's so hard to get into a clinic here. It pretty much means standing outside for a couple of hours until they open to be assured to get in, and I've been mostly sleeping. If I'm not better by the weekend I guess I'll have to suck it up and see one. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I haven't. It's so hard to get into a clinic here. It pretty much means standing outside for a couple of hours until they open to be assured to get in, and I've been mostly sleeping. If I'm not better by the weekend I guess I'll have to suck it up and see one. 

Fuck. I've been there. Too sick to even drag my ass to the doctor's office. Feel better soon.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Sounds like me last Christmas...Christmas night I had the dreaded sore throat (which is how my colds always start), and it was all fun and games for the next 2 weeks.  It went away on its own, I didn't see a doctor.  I will not go to a doctor,in fact, unless I'm on death's door, but by that point, why bother? :)

giphy.gif

• Love 9

as of midnight this morning the recreational use of marijuana has been legalized in canada.

people can walk around with up to 30 grams (oz) of pot, can grow up to 4 plants in your home and if you are able can make edibles..

the gov't is fast tracking pardons for past marijuana convictions in order to make it easier to get a job, go to school etc...

yvr (van. airport) will have a smoking area outside so you can have a smoke before your flight.

you will also be able to travel domestically with pot but not internationally.

i am happy cause now i will not have to be worried about toking up.

apparently some hotels will allow smoking pot in their "smoking rooms" but i don't know of any hotel that still has them.  at least none that i have stayed at.

happy cannabis day.

• Love 7

Welcome to the party, pal! It's been legal in Washington State for almost 7 years. As you have probably heard, it's total bedlam. Crazed pot heads rioting in the streets! It's unspeakable to sufficiently emphasize the frightful toll of the new drug menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers. Marihuana is that drug - a violent narcotic - an unspeakable scourge - The Real Public Enemy Number One! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable laughter, then come dangerous hallucinations - space expands - time slows down, almost stands still... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances - followed by emotional disturbances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions... leading finally to acts of shocking violence... ending often in incurable insanity.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Welcome to the party, pal! It's been legal in Washington State for almost 7 years. As you have probably heard, it's total bedlam. Crazed pot heads rioting in the streets! It's unspeakable to sufficiently emphasize the frightful toll of the new drug menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers. Marihuana is that drug - a violent narcotic - an unspeakable scourge - The Real Public Enemy Number One! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable laughter, then come dangerous hallucinations - space expands - time slows down, almost stands still... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances - followed by emotional disturbances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions... leading finally to acts of shocking violence... ending often in incurable insanity.

WTF?

• Love 1