Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

@boes, thank you for your thoughtful post.  I am so sorry to hear about your cousin and sure hope it is as she says, a mild case.

I read your post earlier today and wanted to respond, in general, but really didn't know how.  Actually, I'm not sure that I do now, either!  I wake up and feel fairly normal, full of lists of things I want to accomplish and then as quickly as I feel that way, I start a rapid decline that dissipates as soon as the sun goes down  At that point, I'm just pure energy, brushing through the house, cleaning, planning, making more lists (who knew I was such a list person?), watching tv, until I realize I need to go to bed and that if I'm going to survive this, I need to have a routine and stick with it.  Last night, I didn't go to bed until 3 a.m.  Not good when you wake up at 5:00 a.m. - pretty hard to maintain positivity when you're sleep deprived.

Today, our governor announced a Stay at Home order beginning at 8 p.m. tonight.  I panicked, until Mr. Lovesmesome reminded me that that's what we're doing anyway....nothing has changed for us!  I don't know, I think it signaled to me that this thing is coming closer.....and it is, as cases doubled over the weekend, and fatalities tripled over the weekend.  Maryland is a small state, so relative to California or New York, it doesn't seem so bad, but again, we're a small state.  We have 1400 confirmed cases and 15 fatalities.

I finished Self Made on Netflix and started a new series Unorthodox.  I highly recommend both.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
didn't spell something correctly!
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

@boes, thank you for your thoughtful post.  I am so sorry to hear about your cousin and sure hope it is as she says, a mild case.

I finished Self Made on Netflix and started a new series Unothodox.  I highly recommend both.

I just started Unorthodox too!

Sadly I don't recommend Curtiz--about Michael Curtiz, roughly about the time he was making Casablanca.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How come?

Starts out interestingly, looks great--beautiful B & W photography, then kind loses pace. Made with mainly Hungarian money [Curtiz was Humgarian],--took me a minute or two to work out why there were no subtitles when actors were speaking Hungarian... I was pissed, actually, because studio-era Hollywood, Warners and RKO are my things.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Starts out interestingly, looks great--beautiful B & W photography, then kind loses pace. Made with mainly Hungarian money [Curtiz was Humgarian],--took me a minute or two to work out why there were no subtitles when actors were speaking Hungarian... I was pissed, actually, because studio-era Hollywood, Warners and RKO are my things.

Oh, me too! Give me a good pre-code movie any day of the week.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

I just started Unorthodox too!

I just finished watching the second episode.  This series is taking me a little longer, because I get so caught up in watching what's going on, I'm forgetting to read subtitles when they're speaking Yiddish.

I am fascinated by the young woman who plays Esty.....such an expressive face.  I am praying her character comes out the other side of this with what she set out for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, pearlite said:

And cocktail hour, peaches? You mean trying to drink enough to stall the anxiety? Cocktail might be a bit of a diminutive term here.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You caught me. I meant box of wine hour. 🤔

De9lBUHXUAEkFa5.jpg

7 hours ago, boes said:

How are all of you, my lovely friends?

Watching the storm approaching, then go cry in the shower.

Otherwise, staying busy with the job, family and household chores.

Excellent post, boes. And that's good news about you cousin's condition. My sister-in-law left retirement and is back to nursing at the county hospital. It's encouraging all the people that are volunteering their expertise and donating to the common good. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

De9lBUHXUAEkFa5.jpg

Watching the storm approaching, then go cry in the shower.

Otherwise, staying busy with the job, family and household chores.

Excellent post, boes. And that's good news about you cousin's condition. My sister-in-law left retirement and is back to nursing at the county hospital. It's encouraging all the people that are volunteering their expertise and donating to the common good. 

I have been amazed at some of the stories I hear about people's kindness. The last few years it seems like everybody has been at each other's throats. Sad it had to take something like this to make people be kind to each other.

• Love 8

For Jim Gaffigan fans, this is really funny:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jim-gaffigan-life-quarantine-sitcom-210414765.html

I just finished "Self Made" as well. It was okay- a very watered down version of her life but I love Octavia Spencer and Blair Underwood is as foxy as ever. 

I started "Trapped" and thought, "wow this is moving along quickly", and realized I was watching season 2. It's very compelling. We'll probably start season 1 tonight. 

@boes and everyone, I totally understand and share your anxiety. I cooked some red curry lentils with sweet potatoes and spinach today. Cooking relaxes me but I'm nervous about my next trip to the grocery store. There are still some people who don't seem to comprehend what is going on. It's maddening. I'm extremely thankful to be able to come here and talk you all of you. 

Anyone hear from @OhioSongbird?

@peacheslatour May I have a swig of wine?

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 11

I read this this morning and it has stuck with me all day.......I know I'm going to be thinking about this in the days and weeks ahead.

90718275_3057302737655191_8937697307978104832_n.jpg

1 hour ago, jpagan05 said:

I just finished "Self Made" as well. It was okay- a very watered down version of her life but I love Octavia Spencer and Blair Underwood is as foxy as ever.

Totally agree with you - Self Made was sort of watered down, a fluff piece.  But Octavia Spencer is wonderful and made it worthwhile to watch....and YES!  Blair Underwood is still a tall drink of water, isn't he?

• Love 10

5e7257b2b555c5000abe4068-eight.jpg

White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing-- March 30, 2020

The Administration moves the coronavirus goal posts, pre-spinning 100,000 deaths as ‘a very good job’ -- Ask the mourners.

Fauci says social distancing over coronavirus can stop U.S. from "becoming an Italy"

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests grandparents willing to die for the economy -- After you, Dan. 

The U.S. weighs the grim math of death vs. the economy -- Would you die already and make way for higher dividends.

America's Make-or-Break Week

Another plunge takes crude benchmarks to lowest levels since 2002

Coronavirus job losses could total 47 million, unemployment rate may hit 32%, Fed estimates -- The coronavirus economic freeze could cost 47 million jobs and send the unemployment rate past 32%, according to St. Louis Fed projections. There are nearly 67 million Americans working in jobs that are at a high risk of layoffs, according to the analysis. St. Louis Fed President James Bullard said last week that the initial estimates are grim but the plunge should be short-lived

Wall Street Is Quietly Telling Companies Not to Draw Their Loans -- Profitability, more than liquidity, is driving force of push. Some lenders offering short-term bridge financing instead

So much for we're in this togetherness -- 'CBS This Morning' Team Anchors From Home "Out of an Abundance of Caution"

Navy hospital ship won’t be ready to help New York for weeks, Pentagon says -- The Pentagon said Wednesday that a Navy hospital ship intended to supplement New York hospitals dealing with coronavirus cases will not be ready for weeks. “The Comfort is currently in for maintenance in Norfolk, so they are going to expedite the maintenance if they can and prepare it,” said Jonathan Hoffman, assistant Defense secretary for public affairs. The USNS Comfort and its West Coast twin, the USNS Mercy, are nearly three football fields long and 10 stories high, making them indisputably the largest hospital ships in the world.

800.jpeg

‘Staggering’: New York virus death toll rises above 1,200

‘Calling all scientists’: Experts volunteer for virus fight

Workers push for more safety measures

Johnson & Johnson, U.S. government plan 1 billion doses of coronavirus vaccine -- For a vaccine that doesn't exist.

Mark Zuckerberg, Priscilla Chan and Bill Gates to fund $25M coronavirus research group -- Pocket change, and we own your discoveries … Facebook commits $100 million to support news media hurt by virus crisis -- Hilarious. FB supporting news media ...

How will we vote? Outbreak revives debate on mail-in ballots

Justice Dept. investigates at least one lawmaker’s stock trades before coronavirus spike in U.S. -- The fix is still in.

BB11Oz7A.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l

As cruise ship carrying sick and dead passengers moves toward Florida, governor says state can't take them

A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

Special Report: Five days of worship that set a virus time bomb in France

Maine sheriff investigating claim that armed men cut down tree to force neighbor's quarantine -- The man was allegedly accosted by armed neighbors who blocked his path.

Gray hair, don’t care: Cuts and color lead to home travails

Macy's to furlough most of 130,000 employees as stores stay shut

?m=02&d=20200330&t=2&i=1510282250&w=780&

A subway train is seen on the first day the city's subway services resumed in Wuhan, March 28, 2020. REUTERS/Aly Song Reuters Photos March 30, 2020 -- Wuhan begins to lift its coronavirus lockdown

The Administration rules gun shops ‘essential’ amid virus

The Administration, in Biggest Environmental Rollback, to Announce Auto Pollution Rules

Feds revoking reservation status for tribe’s 300 acres

800.jpeg

Yellowstone slaughters wild bison to shrink park’s herds

Prisoners riot in Iran; Netanyahu goes into self-quarantine

Italy sees 812 more coronavirus deaths, but new cases fall steeply

Indian police fire tear gas at jobless workers defying coronavirus lockdown

Van Gogh painting stolen from Dutch museum during coronavirus shutdown

Singer John Prine is in stable condition, his wife says

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

@boes continues to elevate the words “kindness” and “grace” just so naturally to him. Even in a few typed sentences I’m humbled by the level of care and class. 

I’m really now starting to see people break from this. That’s all I will say about it but yes. Even I cried today on the job because of shit happening to people I deal with. Besides that which was going on. I am an asshole because I thought this quarantine lasting in my state of months more meant I will have to be scared and desperate working meager pay like crazy menial to maintain me and my mom and beg for that. The vaccine is September trail,  I can’t this that long. The nursing home people can’t see family or go out or eat together. A lot are on hospice or have dementia or Alzheimer’s diagnosed so last few cognitive months in isolation. 

I will pray for your cousin @boes. Please Lord help. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

@boes continues to elevate the words “kindness” and “grace” just so naturally to him. Even in a few typed sentences I’m humbled by the level of care and class. 

I’m really now starting to see people break from this. That’s all I will say about it but yes. Even I cried today on the job because of shit happening to people I deal with. Besides that which was going on. I am an asshole because I thought this quarantine lasting in my state of months more meant I will have to be scared and desperate working meager pay like crazy menial to maintain me and my mom and beg for that. The vaccine is September trail,  I can’t this that long. The nursing home people can’t see family or go out or eat together. A lot are on hospice or have dementia or Alzheimer’s diagnosed so last few cognitive months in isolation. 

I will pray for your cousin @boes. Please Lord help. 

Is there any possibility of you getting Unemployment, and if so, would help enough to ease your burden at all?  That check from the government is nice and all but it's sure not going to cover much for very long.

I can't imagine the stress of your nursing home job.  I wish we could do more than a virtual hug, but you surely have that!

• Love 9

Thank you for thinking of me, Boes. I am currently not working. One job will continue to pay me, the other only said they would pay me half for the two weeks they wanted me to stay home. But, now with the shutdowns, I don't know what is happening. 

My sleep is bad. Anxiety is keeping me up and I am filled with nervous energy. I occasionally will take an Ativan but try to avoid it.

Most of my days are spent studying for my course. The first part of the exam takes place this Saturday on Zoom and I'm freaking out a bit. I had thought it would be the following week. I will be happy when the course is over. It's given me something to focus on but has also been stressing me out. Once it's done, I can like focus on TV and working out and reading. I hope. 

My uncle dropped of groceries the other day. Gramps said just to wipe down some of the packaging with a napkin. But I'm like, what will that do? Then today he touched one of the containers and didn't wash his hands afterward and I've been freaking out ever since. So much so that I threw the unopened cheddar cheese and bocconcini tub in the sink and washed them with soap but I fear it's too late. 

I'm losing track of the days of the week, and of the time. I have to deposit a cheque on Wednesday and even that is stressing me. Crazy times. 

I am happy your cousin appears to be doing relatively okay and I pray they will continue to improve.

• Love 6

200330-central-park-field-hospital-mn-15

Model cited by White House says 82,000 people could die from coronavirus by August, even with social distancing

The Thing That Determines a Country’s Resistance to the Coronavirus -- The major dividing line in effective crisis response will not place autocracies on one side and democracies on the other.

Leadership in times of crisis

Analysis: Virus pulls federalism debate into 21st Century

How the Coronavirus Could Take Over Your Body (Before You Ever Feel It)

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

How will the U.S. pay for $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package?

The government is distributing emergency Covid-19 supplies. But some states are losing out. -- Florida has received all the supplies it has asked for. But most states haven’t.

HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS_USA-videoSixteenByNin

Coronavirus is dividing blue cities from their red states

Remember the Party of Terri Schiavo?

Unemployment could top 32% as 47M workers are laid off amid coronavirus: St. Louis Fed

Ford, GE to produce 50,000 ventilators in 100 days

Wuhan's virus ground-zero market hides in plain sight

One of the largest single-site jails in the US grapples with 134 coronavirus cases -- The cases of COVID-19 skyrocketed over the weekend at the Cook County Jail.

First US service member dies from coronavirus

Coronavirus on the border: Why Mexico has so few cases compared with the U.S.

Martyrdom -- Pastor of Tampa church that held 2 large Sunday services arrested, jailed

Texas Pastors, Right-Wing Activist Mount Constitutional Challenge to Stay-At-Home Order

shutterstock_776628661W.jpg?resize=1800,

How Coronavirus Is Wreaking Havoc on Music -- From reshuffling Coachella to derailing album releases and decimating workers’ livelihoods, COVID-19 has totally upended music. Read Rolling Stone‘s coverage of the coronavirus crisis from every corner of the industry

Wealthy shelter from coronavirus in remote locations

Coronavirus Is Threatening Facebook’s Business Model

After Richard Burr’s Coronavirus Scandal, Will the Government Finally Crack Down on Congressional Insider Trading? -- Members of congress trading against a pandemic is as low as it gets. On the long and winding history of elected officials eluding rules against political profiteering

Federal Judge Who Slammed AG Barr Obtains Unredacted Version of Mueller Report

Americans are sewing homemade masks to fight coronavirus -- DIYers on Facebook have stepped up to create cloth masks and mask covers for health care workers. It’s a rare bit of good news.

Zoom Etiquette From Emily Post’s Very Chill Great-Great-Granddaughter

greta1.jpg

Greta Thunberg: How one Swedish teenager armed with a homemade sign ignited a crusade and became the leader of a movement

In a Town Where Meth Is Eclipsing Opioids, Everyone Feels the Pain

Idaho governor signs two bills that limit the rights of transgender people

Planned Parenthood Gets a Legal Victory Against Texas’s COVID-19 Abortion Ban

Are We Thinking About Climate Migration All Wrong? -- Apocalyptic predictions may grab our attention, but they can also stoke xenophobia and miss the full picture of what’s happening on the ground

Here's Why All the Yeast Is Sold Out Right Now

See’s Candies Has Suspended Production For The First Time Since World War II Amid Coronavirus Fears -- This is only the second pause in its 99-year history.

The top 7 virtual tours: see the world without having to leave the house -- Explore the Vatican, the palace of Versailles or the Louvre from the comfort of your sofa

Visit Yellowstone Virtually -- You don’t have to visit Yellowstone to hear its beautiful animals, see Old Faithful erupt live and see a geyser basin.

Everything feels different this Equal Pay Day -- It's like any other day?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, boes said:

Sweetpea59, how are you doihg?

Hey boes, thanx for asking. First, let me say that I know a few people in NYC who have recovered or are recovering. Only one was tested. But the others had unmistakable symptoms. Most of us will recover and I hope your cousin recovers well.

Yesterday, a full week after being laid off and losing my health insurance, I was able to feel calmer for a bit. But this morning I woke up with a bad stomach ache and all worried, stressed, etc. I am having trouble coping. As well as all of the emotional and psychological distress, I am having stomach aches and pains and heart pounding.

I'm also having a lot of trouble concentrating, like to read or watch something. Can't seem to accomplish much. Everything is overwhelming.

The governor of NJ said today that no one in the state will have their water cut off. I think other states will follow. We've been on lockdown for a couple weeks.

Normally I walk to the train in the morning, walk from the train to the office, go out and walk at lunch for about 45 mins and then do the two walks home. I've actually been very sick with a flu/cold since the second week of Feb. I got better and then two days later it came back full force again. (completely diff symptoms from covid) And I am still recovering. So anyway, I have not been walking or going out for last 2 weeks for several reasons. I went out Sunday morning for a walk. EVERYONE I SAW WAS MY ENEMY. It's not so good to feel that way. I don't want to go out again, but damn, I need to walk. It's been cold, damp and rainy here but when it's a little drier I hope to just do some yardwork in my little yard.

• Love 12

I'm also having a lot of trouble concentrating, like to read or watch something. Can't seem to accomplish much. Everything is overwhelming.

Same here. I can't focus on anything and I feel like I'm on autopilot. I either don't eat at all or I find myself eating ice cream right out of the carton. I wander around the house trying to remember what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. I write letters to my dad because I can't see him and I just sit there and stare at the blank page. I don't know what to say to him. The only news I have is that we're fixing up his house to sell but I can't tell him that, he still thinks he's going home someday.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

Hey boes, thanx for asking. First, let me say that I know a few people in NYC who have recovered or are recovering. Only one was tested. But the others had unmistakable symptoms. Most of us will recover and I hope your cousin recovers well.

Yesterday, a full week after being laid off and losing my health insurance, I was able to feel calmer for a bit. But this morning I woke up with a bad stomach ache and all worried, stressed, etc. I am having trouble coping. As well as all of the emotional and psychological distress, I am having stomach aches and pains and heart pounding.

I'm also having a lot of trouble concentrating, like to read or watch something. Can't seem to accomplish much. Everything is overwhelming.

The governor of NJ said today that no one in the state will have their water cut off. I think other states will follow. We've been on lockdown for a couple weeks.

Normally I walk to the train in the morning, walk from the train to the office, go out and walk at lunch for about 45 mins and then do the two walks home. I've actually been very sick with a flu/cold since the second week of Feb. I got better and then two days later it came back full force again. (completely diff symptoms from covid) And I am still recovering. So anyway, I have not been walking or going out for last 2 weeks for several reasons. I went out Sunday morning for a walk. EVERYONE I SAW WAS MY ENEMY. It's not so good to feel that way. I don't want to go out again, but damn, I need to walk. It's been cold, damp and rainy here but when it's a little drier I hope to just do some yardwork in my little yard.

I am having the same concentration issues, too.  Honestly, I'm just trying not to burn the house down, I've become so forgetful!  Just kidding, sort of......

I'm not far from you in Maryland, and you're right about the weather.  I'm hoping for decent weather, too, so I can get out and weed, edge, whatever, to just be active. To just get out there and see the spring renewal....try to see something tangible that gives me hope and the feeling that life really does march on.  My next door neighbor called me this morning and I asked her if she wanted to go walking later today and in horror she replied with a resounding "NO".  Apparently, she was out walking last week (we are lucky in that we have a lot of walking trails where we live in Columbia, MD) and said too many people are on the trails and not practicing social distancing......

Of course, yesterday, we had a 70 degree, sunny day....did I got out and work in my yard?  No.  Tomorrow is another day.  Today was overcast again and cooler.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Since this whole thing started, I have completed (with my son’s help) a 1000-piece, a 500-piece and a 300-piece jigsaw puzzle, and I am working on a second 1000-piece puzzle.

Me too, I have done 5 1000 piece jigsaws and binge-watched multiple series.  I am currently watching Ozark (which is a crazy show!).  I wish I had the motivation to clean out my closets but I really don't .  Plus it is fricking cold here so cannot really go out for walks (well, I can, but I am a wimp).  One thing that I am doing is preparing a special dinner every evening; it gives us something to look forward to.

I am really shocked by the projected deaths that are being reported for the US.  We don't have the kinds of numbers here, thankfully, but we are still watching what is happening everywhere else, and it is truly frightening/depressing.

• Love 8

Another thing I've done is stop watching the news.  I'm not sticking my head in the sand....just being very particular about what news I watch.  Mostly local.  And Andrew Cuomo's, except he can get a little meandering.........

What I definitely don't watch is the dinner hour one by you-know-who.  I like my tv, alot, and I don't want to do something that would cause it smash into a million pieces.  I get that angry at just the sight of that idiot.  To be fair and balanced, I can't even watch my usual cable news shows in the evening.  Maybe next week........

• Love 11

Cuomo's been the voice of reason. I'll watch him and my gov's press conferences. They're usually on one after the other, or they cut into Cuomo to show Murphy on my cable. But that other guy, I tried to watch his, but it's too hard to take. And I find out about it on the news sites I read, whether I want to or not. 

Man, I would love to just clear my head,, relax and do a puzzle. Too indulgent right now. I still have crap to deal with.

We're not even halfway there yet. Even if we are livin' on a prayer. (When I moved to NJ it was mandatory for me to like them.)(But Springsteen  - never.)

Did Cupid post this yet?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/31/824638554/dolly-parton-will-read-bedtime-stories-to-kids-online-every-week

• Love 7
(edited)

GettyImages_1207979953.0.jpg

The coronavirus has now killed more people in the US than the 9/11 terror attacks -- Does this mean the US national security community should prioritize global health now?

A field hospital in Central Park: Tuesday’s coronavirus news

Coronavirus Briefing -- March 31, 2020

The legal scholar who shaped the Administration's coronavirus response defends his theory -- “Has anybody decided to shut down the economy for six months every year for flu season?” -- The flu plagues the population for 4-6 months, causing work shortages, missed school days, and death -- There prescribed ways to avoid the flu. Beyond social isolation, disinfection, there's little more than respiratory palliative care for coronavirus patients, and not enough of that, Asshat.

‘A Darwinian approach to federalism’ -- State governors are getting more power, while fearing they lack the federal tools needed to fight the coronavirus crisis. -- Then it will be your fault when you fail

White House pressures FDA on unproven Japanese drug -- After conversation with Prime Minister Abe, Administration aides are seeking an emergency authorization for Fujifilm-owned drug.

Booze buying surges; senators push airlines for cash refunds

55015e8d529606d605660b2c8baa6cbd.jpg

It’s time for a massive wartime mobilization to save the economy -- The US can’t wait for an end to the pandemic.

How the Administration has responded to coronavirus outbreak

America’s ventilator shortage isn't getting any easier -- Making ventilators is hard. Getting politicians to agree on paying for them is harder.

How Rep. Katie Porter wants to keep Congress’s $500 billion bailout in check -- After getting the CDC to promise free coronavirus testing, Katie Porter is sounding the alarm about corporate bailout oversight.

US warship captain seeks crew isolation as virus spreads

800.jpeg

In this March 18, 2020 file photo, visitors to the Department of Labor are turned away at the door by personnel due to closures over coronavirus concerns. The coronavirus pandemic has already hurt many households financially.  Americans have been hit with layoffs, furloughs and reduced hours across the country. Those who have not are still facing massive economic uncertainty. Experts say it's more important than ever to manage your budget, reach out to lenders and seek protections available to those hit by the economic impact of the virus. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

What you need to do to get your government stimulus check

A guide to surviving financially as the bills come due

The evidence for everyone wearing masks, explained -- There is some evidence that the public should wear masks. But let doctors and nurses get them first.

Triage: The grim ethical dilemma of rationing medical care, explained -- How hospitals decide which Covid-19 patients to prioritize when resources are scarce.

Tech giants should give away their money instead of their products -- Anything helps, yes. But there’s a limit to even a billion dollars in donations: “Can’t make payroll on ad credits.”

Privacy and porn problems -- Welcome to Zoom.

2020-03-31T034050Z_1314845826_RC2QUF943C

Las Vegas marking parking places for homeless encampment

Polygamy good. Abortion bad.

xkcd -- Pathogen Resistance

‘It is brutal’: Hollywood’s rank-and-file on the pandemic

800.jpeg

Un-baaaaa-lievable: Goats invade locked-down Welsh town

Our environmental practices make pandemics like the coronavirus more likely -- The story we tell about pandemics casts us as victims of nature. It’s the other way around.

Ex-wildlife chief: Administration rule could kill billions of birds

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

OMG, I heard this Taj Mahal cover on an episode of House on H&I this evening. Did you, Cupid, or is this a freaky coincidence that I would hear this song twice today from unrelated sources?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Same here. I can't focus on anything and I feel like I'm on autopilot. I either don't eat at all or I find myself eating ice cream right out of the carton. I wander around the house trying to remember what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. I write letters to my dad because I can't see him and I just sit there and stare at the blank page. I don't know what to say to him. The only news I have is that we're fixing up his house to sell but I can't tell him that, he still thinks he's going home someday.

Will his home let you FaceTime or Skype with him? The care people can do it via their phones with you. Sometimes they just want to talk.  One struggle I have found is when people w memory impairment think they lost something and don’t know what it is or something hasn’t happened (like a meal) and get frustrated with me and I have trouble conveying it did or we will resolve it and that they will trust what I say. One person in particular has been struggling in a sharp decline and I’m thinking of suggesting notes they will write or a structure at the beginning of the day like “I’m wearing this jacket, ring, watch. I’m going to this activity at this time in this place. Then ordering this specific meal” ect on a list kept w them then later it may be more comforting to them if something is forgotten, easy to locate lost items or say “you left that in your residence, and you accomplished x,y,z today.” Like maybe as each activity or occurrence like a meal is done someone can cross it off for them or it done together and may feel productive or comforting.

Does that make any sense? Like a specific list or day planner set up curated? 

I totally relate to people talking about feeling emotionally like shit. I know I bitched about it in this thread. I see the vista ahead and know I will be struggling and scared for a while. I will be poor a very long time from this and my mom, my only living relative, is not well. Additionally I mean I am really depressed by what is going on.

@boes thinking of you and your family today ❤️ The phrase “thoughts and prayers” said in any fashion is so trite.

you guys always make me feel better and elevate me. Like y&r is the trashiest and most phoned in show ever for years but has the classiest, smartest, most grace filled and honorable role models in the community that we have for it! So many of you have 20x my character and gifts. And that’s always been a gift so keep on keeping on @PatsyandEddie @Capricasix @bannana @SweePea59 @Cupid Stunt @peacheslatour @jewel21 and the rest.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Will his home let you FaceTime or Skype with him? The care people can do it via their phones with you. Sometimes they just want to talk.  One struggle I have found is when people w memory impairment think they lost something and don’t know what it is or something hasn’t happened (like a meal) and get frustrated with me and I have trouble conveying it did or we will resolve it and that they will trust what I say. One person in particular has been struggling in a sharp decline and I’m thinking of suggesting notes they will write or a structure at the beginning of the day like “I’m wearing this jacket, ring, watch. I’m going to this activity at this time in this place. Then ordering this specific meal” ect on a list kept w them then later it may be more comforting to them if something is forgotten, easy to locate lost items or say “you left that in your residence, and you accomplished x,y,z today.” Like maybe as each activity or occurrence like a meal is done someone can cross it off for them or it done together and may feel productive or comforting.

I totally relate to people talking about feeling emotionally like shit. I know I bitched about it in this thread. I see the vista ahead and know I will be struggling and scared for a while. I will be poor a very long time from this and my mom, my only living relative, is not well. Additionally I mean I am really depressed by what is going on.

@boes thinking of you and your family today ❤️ The phrase “thoughts and prayers” said in any fashion is so trite.

you guys always make me feel better and elevate me. Like y&r is the trashiest and most phoned in show ever for years but has the classiest, smartest, most grace filled and honorable role models in the community that we have for it! So many of you have 20x my character and gifts. And that’s always been a gift so keep on keeping on @PatsyandEddie @Capricasix @bannana @SweePea59 @Cupid Stunt @peacheslatour @jewel21 and the rest.

Don't underestimate yourself, Petunia13, you're a hero in my book and have been for a long time.  If you don't believe me, ask your wonderful doggie.  You can't fool animals - he KNOWS you're a rockstar.  And that you'll protect him as best you can, and your mother, as troubled as she currently is.  Those people at the nursing home are blessed to have you, absolutely blessed.

And so are we to have you here with us.

-----------------------

There's anecdotal stories out there about how "young people" are ignoring the virus warnings, being irresponsible, etc., and while I know that's probably true for some, I really resent young people being tarred with a single brush.  More than resent, I hate it.

When it comes to assholes, I know they come in all ages and flavors.

3 days before my brother died, two of his granddaughters who live in the same town he did came home from college as their schools were closing down.  Megan, who is in her freshman year, got out of the car, picked up her bags and marched upstairs to her room and began self-isolating.  Her boyfriend had been exposed which meant she had been exposed and she wasn't taking the chance of infecting her parents or siblings or grandparents.  Then my brother, her grandfather died and as devastated as she was, she stayed in isolation though she ached to be with her grandmother.  Her sister, who was also home from college, went over to her grandmother's the day my brother went into the hospital and hasn't left her side since, staying with her so she won't be alone.  

There are tons of good works and good people in our lives, and good people everywhere who IMO outweigh the jackasses.

You, Petunia13, and all of you wonderful preverts are among those good people.  If you ever doubt it, just look at the people - and animals - who love and value you.

• Love 12

200331-redfield-gty-773.jpg

Why America is scared and confused: Even the experts are getting it wrong -- The kaleidoscope of changing messages has created more fear, confusion and distrust.

The Administration projects up to 240,000 coronavirus deaths in U.S., even with mitigation efforts

Partisanship is the strongest predictor of coronavirus response -- Among Americans, partisanship has been a stronger predictor than age, gender, geography, even personal experience, a new study shows.

White House Economists Warned in 2019 a Pandemic Could Devastate America

The Administration rejects Obamacare special enrollment period amid pandemic -- The Administration recently said they were considering relaunching HealthCare.gov. -- Leaving even more people without affordable healthcare in the middle of a pandemic.

Congress wrestles with new coronavirus role: $2 trillion watchdog -- Lawmakers are likely to struggle to conduct oversight of the Administration's management of the massive rescue package. -- It's an election year.

Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash -- The review came after officials discovered that aid to foreign countries wasn't being coordinated with U.S. requests.

Why Asia’s New Coronavirus Controls Should Worry the World

Europe faces ICU crunch, rushes to build field hospitals

Mass testing, empty ICUs: Germany scores early against virus

BB11XeiN.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Coronavirus outbreak: Officials weigh risks, changes to face mask guidance

First N95 medical mask imports finally reaching US

Millions of N95 masks keep surfacing. So why is there still a shortage?

Your coronavirus grocery questions, answered by experts -- Should I be using self-checkout? Are delivery services ethical? Where is the peanut butter?

‘Never Thought I Would Need It’: Americans Put Pride Aside to Seek Aid

A coronavirus recession will mean more robots and fewer jobs -- All economic downturns increase automation. This one will be worse.

Those without broadband struggle in a stuck-at-home nation

Kids under threat: Virus hitting juvenile detention centers

Watchdog finds new problems with FBI wiretap applications

Global stock markets skid as coronavirus infections soar

Fake news or the truth? Russia cracks down on virus postings

“I just want my family to see I got handed a diploma”: 5 students on how coronavirus has affected senior year -- Graduations, proms, and other end-of-year celebrations have been postponed or entirely canceled.

800.jpeg

FILE - This March 16, 2020, file photo shows the Oculus at the World Trade Center's transportation hub in New York. Census Day, the April 1 reference day for the once-a-decade effort to count everyone in the U.S., arrived Wednesday with a nation almost paralyzed by the spread of the novel coronavirus, but census officials vowed the job would be completed by its year-end deadline. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

Census Day arrives with US almost paralyzed by coronavirus

Sneezeguards, toilet paper, and visits from lonely seniors: Running a post office during the pandemic -- More people than ever are shopping online — and to meet their needs, postal workers are taking big risks.

Tiz the Law wins a very unusual Florida Derby at Gulfstream

A century ago, sports rises from ravages of war and disease

IndyCar goes iRacing as latest series to offer fans content

Red Bull boss wanted camp for team drivers to deliberately catch coronavirus

AP Interview: Roger Penske talks postponing Indianapolis 500

2186f3695fca-930x749.png

Backstage at the Paris Opera House in 1937

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

I've been going through the Kübler-Ross grief cycle … a couple of times. I can see Acceptance on the horizon, and then there's another reality hour from the Coronavirus Task Force.

Last Sunday, the Meeting House met at the Inglewood Food Pantry, and there were people waiting in line for the Pantry opening on Monday morning … Were it only loaves and fishes. I went home to examine my morning. I know we'll never be able to do enough and the need will exceed our meager resources, but we can do better. 

Nana Stunt made some calls, and the 3D Printers have a new poly distributor. They won't have to waste time searching for materials.

Thing1 completed her finals yesterday. Thing2 started his finals today.

I changed the household filters. The ice machine and humidifier filters were disgusting.

Mr. Stunt is busy scheduling 7 new commercial productions, and the shop is humming along.

I work with the PTA to collect formalwear for kids that can't afford it for the dances/proms. We had made a big collection drive after New Year, but now with all school functions cancelled many people are looking for storage for everything. I have a rolling rack of rhinestones, sequins and rustling taffeta draped in sheets, and looking for a home.  

Bea says she's having the best Spring pollination in years, and is very happy with the new orchard manager. Mom and Dad are going to stay into May; Easter family gatherings have been cancelled. 

I'm reading Emails from work, as my Kitchenaid kneads bread dough.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 14
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

About every three days or so, I have a bit of ability to concentrate. But not much. I'm not even reading, other than on a screen. But today, I started the book mentioned here: Her Story, and it's excellent. Twenty pages was a triumph.

On a bad day, I have no appetite either. Yesterday, I did manage to make cabbage soup--that was a plus.

I have online students, but they're submitting so slowly that it's not much of a distraction. Other than show, DOOL, and the odd item from Netflix we've talked about here, I'm finding it hard to lower the anxiety levels enough to zone out and watch.

And that's my bitching for now. I feel self-interested and ungrateful because so many are suffering more than I am.

• Love 9

During this hellscape, there are so many brave unsung heroes out there.

Doctors, nurses, elder care workers.

Grocery workers, pharmacists and drug store workers, long and short haul truckers.

Mail carriers, UPS and other delivery people. In the evenings white Amazon trucks glide by my house like a parade of ghosts.

Police, firefighters and the workers who are on their support teams.

Newspaper writers who keep us informed, cartoonists who give us a chuckle when we most need it and the ever faithful newspaper delivery people, working through the night to make sure we get our crossword puzzles (I would be lost without the NYT daily puzzle).

Uber and other people movers who get people with disabilities to the stores.

I'm sure I missed a bunch but I wanted to say something, it's been on my mind.

• Love 10
(edited)

jpagan05....thanks for asking!  Nice to be missed.

I'm alive (barely).  Had to go to the ER last Fri morning.  I have an ulcer that sometimes decides to leak.  Got out in 36 hrs (yay...last time it was four days).  Home and getting my strength back.

It's been a hell of a time the last few months.  Closed the shop back in the fall, got ready for an auction that ended up not happening.  Was gearing up to call individual buyers then I got sick.  When it rains it pours. NOW this shit hits and the world is upside down.  We're on stay-at-home here in Ohio...not a fan of Mike DeWine but he is on top of it. 

Mr. Songbird (auto/truck/farm/emergency vehicle parts etc) and boychild (computer manufacturer...they're swamped with repairs) are both considered essential workers so they're out and about.  I hadn't been out of the house in months so staying in place is no problem.  I've got 4 acres (half woods) to walk around so exercise is no problem.  Been a cooking fool...my freezer is about to bust!  I started extra stocking up a couple of months ago.  My pantry is always well stocked with beans, rice, etc so worse comes to worse we can hunker down.  Hubby gripes sometime about so much for two people but I swear it's my farm upbringing.  I'm talking small farm in the hills of KY (the homeland).  My grandparents raised and grew everything to stock up for the winter, raised pigs and a few cows for milk and meat, chickens...you get the picture.

Now the real kicker.  Hubby came home Monday and said they were told by upper management that maybe half of them (15-20 folks) may be laid off in a couple of weeks.  Seems these yahoos (who truly don't know their asses from a hole in the ground)  are borrowed to the hilt so they can't get a loan to cover payroll.  We're just waiting like everybody else.

So that's what's up here in Ohio.  Hurry up and wait.  I'm joining peaches on her Tour De Franzia.....

Cheers and stay safe y'all!

eta...Almost forgot...Happy Birthday SweetPea59!  Mine was the 25th......

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 13

I've been going through the Kübler-Ross grief cycle … a couple of times. I can see Acceptance on the horizon, and then there's another reality hour from the Coronavirus Task Force.

I think I'm still at bargaining. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, JasonCC said:

I think I'm still at bargaining. 

I'll meet you at the piano bar, Jason. We can work on our disillusionment together.

It's April Fools Day and nothing's very funny. Let try some tunes and animation!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

During this hellscape, there are so many brave unsung heroes out there.

Doctors, nurses, elder care workers.

Grocery workers, pharmacists and drug store workers, long and short haul truckers.

Mail carriers, UPS and other delivery people. In the evenings white Amazon trucks glide by my house like a parade of ghosts.

Police, firefighters and the workers who are on their support teams.

Newspaper writers who keep us informed, cartoonists who give us a chuckle when we most need it and the ever faithful newspaper delivery people, working through the night to make sure we get our crossword puzzles (I would be lost without the NYT daily puzzle).

Uber and other people movers who get people with disabilities to the stores.

I'm sure I missed a bunch but I wanted to say something, it's been on my mind.

Very well said. For these people work has been increased exponentially and the pay is the same, or, in some cases: with truckers, delivery people, care givers decreased but still necessary.

You guys really inspired me to strive harder today with my validation to people and I think that’s made some good connections and moments. I did some extra training as well this afternoon and have some in depth training with a leader this week pertaining to memory loss that I’m looking forward to. 

@boes I agree. At least in my area I see young people social distancing or not even out so I don’t get the constant rhetoric pushed that they are social gathering or irresponsible. I have experienced some people not respect social distancing or hygiene things around me and that does bug me. I don’t want to expose anyone I work w to a damn thing. It also crossed my mind I can’t expose my mom. She literally is my only family and like has cried or screamed everyday for years she’s sick. I can’t get her sick.  I have aortic and mitral heart defects that require eventually replacement for my valve. I never think if I got sick from COVID or just if it starting fucking up again what would happen but I guess I’d be shit fucked waiting for a bovine transplant which I’m against anyways since I’m vegan.

A Holocaust survivor I know has a little framed sign in his window “The more you complain, the more God will make you to live.”  The quotation is funny but also profound. 

• Love 13
On 3/31/2020 at 10:07 PM, Petunia13 said:

One person in particular has been struggling in a sharp decline and I’m thinking of suggesting notes they will write or a structure at the beginning of the day like “I’m wearing this jacket, ring, watch. I’m going to this activity at this time in this place. Then ordering this specific meal” ect on a list kept w them then later it may be more comforting to them if something is forgotten, easy to locate lost items or say “you left that in your residence, and you accomplished x,y,z today.” Like maybe as each activity or occurrence like a meal is done someone can cross it off for them or it done together and may feel productive or comforting.

I have a friend that sustained brain damage, and his short-term memory is spotty and random. He wears a 3x5 notebook on a ribbon around his neck to remind him of daily appointments and chores. He can remember to cross off completed tasks, or have the people he meets sign the notebook for his next appointment or information to his caretakers.

It's not an ideal solution I'll admit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

BB122thW.img?h=560&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A new rallying cry among America's working class: No one should pay rent until the coronavirus pandemic ends

Apply here: How to spend $2.2 trillion and rescue economy -- There's a job opening.

Senator Loeffler’s Wealth Becomes a Risk as Rivals Charge Her for Profiteering on Coronavirus  -- And breaking her Senatorial oath and the law.

White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- April 1, 2020

White House coronavirus briefings discussion

California Governor Newsom Coronavirus News Conference

Rep. Devin Nunes calls California coronavirus plan 'way overkill' the same day the Administration praises it 

Documents show backlog of 160,000 coronavirus tests at just one lab company

DeSantis announces statewide shutdown order for Florida through April

Nearly 3,000 sailors to leave carrier amid virus outbreak -- Oh, no.

AP-NORC poll: Less than half back the Administration's pandemic response

AADffuy.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

The Peace Arch in happier times.  The U.S. Canada border is closed to non-essential travel © DriveBC Photo

The Administration won't station US troops near Canadian border

Medtronic is sharing its portable ventilator design specifications and code for free to all -- Related: Medtronic Press Release

CentraCare CEO to Senator Klobuchar: COVID-19 responses based on past crises 'are going to fail' Minnesotans

Call for virus volunteers yields army of health care workers

Protective gear in national stockpile is nearly depleted, DHS officials say

As Trump lets private sector supply the coronavirus fight, the well-connected often get first dibs

Companies slammed by COVID-19 look to cut 401(k) contributions

5e783298e56fcc00089d571e-eight.jpg

Coronavirus: Social distancing efforts show promise, but no clear end in sight

Free Activity Pages From Crayola

Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger Dead at 52 From Coronavirus -- Musician composed extensively for film and TV, including That Thing You Do! and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

• Love 5

That article about the US deciding to not station troops at the Canadian border, well, let's just say, not a lot of Canadians are interested in crossing into the US these days.  It was strange when that story surfaced a few days ago as coming from someone in the White House.  And it turned out to be true, and Canada had to respond!

wrighty official wtf GIF by Ian Wright

• LOL 9
(edited)

BB117dzn.img?h=575&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© Andrew Selsky, AP - Homeless people crowd a sidewalk in downtown Salem, Ore., where they have set up a makeshift camp. Experts say that the homeless, who often have health and substance-abuse problems, are exposed to the elements and do not have easy access to hygiene, are more vulnerable to the coronavirus.

States struggle to help, house homeless during coronavirus pandemic

Live coronavirus updates: U.S. death toll nears 5,000

US coronavirus cases pass 200,000. More states are saying stay at home

What happens in the 4th wave of the pandemic

Poll: The public's habits and coronavirus expectations have changed significantly in the last few weeks

Everything you need to know about making your own face mask -- Even if you’re not crafty at all.

b2ap3_amp_face-masks-korean-wedding.jpg

Asia may have been right about coronavirus and face masks, and the rest of the world is coming around

Mike Pompeo Says China, Iran and Russia Coronavirus 'Disinformation Campaigns' Seek to 'Place Confusion in the World'

The Administration contradicts Pompeo by downplaying foreign coronavirus disinformation campaigns

The Administration claims Iran or its proxies planning a ‘sneak attack,’ warns of a ‘heavy price’

Power-hungry leaders are itching to exploit the coronavirus crisis

Sen. Kelly Loeffler sold at least $18 million more in stocks before the coronavirus crash than previously reported -- Loeffler is one of many lawmakers under fire for suspicious stock-trading activity following a coronavirus intel briefing.

US to deploy anti-drug Navy ships near Venezuela -- Is the invasion far behind?

In Panama, coronavirus lockdown means separating men and women

Anger in Guam at 'dangerous' plan to offload US sailors from virus-hit aircraft carrier -- Governor of US Pacific territory accused of ‘playing a game of chance with the health of our people’

Hobby Lobby defies shutdown orders, reopens some stores

FDA calls for heartburn drug Zantac to be pulled from market immediately

200330142946-food-coronavirus-lead-super

People are cooking their way through the coronavirus pandemic. Here are their mouthwatering creations

89 Recipes With 5 Ingredients or Fewer

The Administration could have reopened enrollment for the Affordable Care Act for coronavirus. He chose not to. -- Insurance companies and legislators had asked the Administration to reopen the insurance market to help with the pandemic.

Where to get health insurance if you just lost your job

96 Household Vinegar Uses You Never Knew About -- With so many different uses around the house, this trusted item—in its white vinegar as well as its apple cider vinegar versions—deserves a special place in your pantry.

Larry David asks 'the idiots out there' to stay home and watch TV in crabby coronavirus PSA

Marriott discloses data breach possibly affecting over 5 million customers

033dad82e563caf2afd367faa270a8640e2c61a1

The Joy of Lizzo -- She has become a new kind of pop superstar, full of relentless positivity. But it took a long time and a lot of heartache

Dolly Parton donates $1 million toward coronavirus research

2020 Wimbledon Canceled Due to Coronavirus Concerns; 2021 Dates Announced

Former USC admissions officer admits he made money in grad school scheme -- International students who were "not otherwise qualified for admission" got in with help

Lorena Borjas, a transgender Latina activist who fought for immigrants and sex workers, has died of Covid-19

Ellis Marsalis Jr., legendary jazz musician, teacher and patriarch, dies at age 85 of coronavirus

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I did some extra training as well this afternoon and have some in depth training with a leader this week pertaining to memory loss that I’m looking forward to. 

That's great! I'm sure that's helped you cope better, too. Hang in there and keep on keepin' on. (Sorry I don't have more profound words, but sometimes the trite words are the right words.)

• Love 10

I've been reading and sharing with hubby your stories over the last few weeks.  It's interesting to hear how each of us is dealing according to location, circumstance, finances, family, etc.   Things are only going to get worse before they get better so we all need to be united, strong and safe.

Much love to everyone and families.  I'd say a prayer but Cupid does that much better so I'll leave it to her and add my

Amen

• Love 10

We played alley bingo with the neighbors last night. Prizes were tuna, crunchy peanut butter, boxed cereal, soymilk, Windex, 12 pack of Miller longnecks, and 4 pack of Charmin. Good times under lock down. We won the peanut butter.

The Stunt In-laws have 4 neighbors ill with confirmed coronavirus. They're freaking. Talking them down and passing on information, 3-4 times a day. Nana's been self-distancing since February, and is healthy. 

I smoked a brisket for dinner, with cheesy grits and charred chili green beans. Lemon sorbet for dessert.

Thing2 has two finals left. He's getting twitchy; no graduation celebrations, missing contact with his friends, looking at a future with months of isolation, no Peace Corps. <sigh>

Thing1 buries her head in her books and notes, working on her dissertation. Comes up for air for chores, to eat, exercise or watch Dynasty: The Alexis Years.

Wrangling work cats from home is drudgery. It's just as bad for my employees. "First world problems, human who feeds me," purrs Melvin. 

Mr. Stunt is working like a one-armed paper hanger.

• Love 12