Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 4/27/2018 at 8:45 AM, kitcloudkicker said:

Anyone have pre-season predictions? For me this show is only fun to follow along with if I get 'em right ;)

I love your post and observations.  Hope you are spot on!  I haven't watched this show in years so don't know or have any feelings for the pros.  I'm just rooting for the athletes, what little I know of them is from their social media and press coverage. 

Adam is my favorite and initially thought he would be the easy winner.  However, if the show chooses to highlight his political activism, then I think it is possible he gets cut before the final four.  If he brings in new viewers like myself, then he has a good chance.  This article from last week spoke to this as well as to Jenna's overpowering nature: Choreographer Travis Wall Gives Adam Rippon His Wings in Stars on Ice

Based on all that, I lean towards Mirai being the winner.  She's cute, knows how to move, really really wants to win and is giving it her all.  She's posted videos of her blistered feet and I don't know how she is able to walk.  On the other hand, I would be happy to see Jamie Anderson go in the first week.  Again, my knowledge is only from social media, but she seems so uninterested in this experience.  Not sure why she would have signed on for this, she shouldn't advance when she hasn't even tried. 

22 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Artem's partner seems very smug, and if she doesn't practice then Len is going to slam her with a bad score.

I hope so!  Living out on the west coast, I get no say in this first week's eliminations. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the updates. I haven’t followed any of the couples of pre season Media at all so I’m just checking in now. Mainly because I’m not really invested at all in this season. The eliminations are just to rushed, I don’t feel like I can connect to any couple because of such a short season. I can’t even watch the premiere live anyway so I will probably just catch the dances on YouTube and let voting take its course. I notice two couples get eliminated on the night of the premiere which is just bonkers. Based on nothing more than instinctive gut feeling I reckon Johnny Damon might be in trouble in terms of the men. Simply because all of them will probably be good apart from Kareem who will be token cool old guy which gets him through. In terms of females I’d say Tonya will unfortunately get through the first week and possibly even the second as well, you’d imagine she’ll have some natural ability as well even more unfortunately. Mirai will probably be the stand out which leaves the other three. Jennie I’d imagine will do well, considering they’ve wanted her on the show for a while, she must have something about her. I can’t see Arike being very good considering she’s a baller (they have bad records on the show) and she has Gleb who already looked checked out from the GMA interview. If she gets through week one it’ll be down to campus/fan votes. Not got a clue on Jamie, apart from I remember her from Celebrity Apprentice with Shawn Johnson. She seemed sweet but got overpowered by the bigger personalities (not a good sign for a show like this). Being a multi gold medalist she must have something about her, but who knows. Either way she’ll need to dance well or she’ll be gone as she’s probably one of the least known of all the stars. At least Artem seems happy based on his IG, to be honest I would be as well if I got a free ticket to Norway out of this clusterfudge of a season! If you picked me for an early winner, I’d be boring and say Adam or Mirai. But watch out for Chris and Josh. Especially Josh, if he can dance then you bet the “Sharna has never won brigade” will be out in full force!

• Love 2

Josh is going to be the token "hot guy" and yes, people are going to push for Sharna to win, so I wouldn't be surprised. They also seem to be pushing for a Jenna win as well, so it might be Adam. I think Mirai will be a ringer and get to the finals, but I don't see Alan hitting a home run with the freestyle. Alan does seem nice, though. I wouldn't mind seeing him win.

• Love 1

With such a short season that so many say they're not watching and none of the "big" pros on, I think this season will come down to the fans of the pros trying to push their pro for a win rather than the actual contestants. 

The wild card will be just how big a "turnout" there is from the C fam fans and voters who will be pushing for Jenna. Honestly, I don't see any of Maks's fans watching/voting just for Jenna, but since he doesn't have that many of his own fans left, that won't be a big factor. I also don't see Peta's fans watching and voting just for Jenna. Val's fans, yes. They'll be out in droves. The thing there is that there are a lot of Val's fans who don't like Jenna. 

Sharna's fans will be out in full force, football players generally do well.....so I can't help but wonder if Sharna and Josh will take the whole thing if he's charming and can dance even a little (Rashad 2.0).

1 hour ago, penbrat said:

I will watch tonight but other than it being a C Brother free season, I am so not interested this year.  (Which is unusual for me.  This is my FAVORITE show usually).

That's what people in my house are saying.  It seems people will just vote for their favorite athlete going in, or their favorite pro, since there aren't going to be enough weeks to become enamored with someone new.  I'm glad nobody I really like is on this season. It's such a waste.  

• Love 2

Do you think Val is ever going to get married? If he wanted to, he could have by now. If he does get married, it probably won't be Jenna he marries. She doesn't seem like his type.

Then again, Peta doesn't seem like Maks's type either, so who knows.

Val has been teasing the shippers posting things regarding putting a ring on it.  I bet he does propose soon enough, if only because at this point all of his friends are married, engaged and/or have kids.  Back when Val started his nonsense, most of his boys were also single so he was surrounded by single people to party with and etc.  I'm pretty sure just about every one of his friends has settled down or is in the process of doing so, so he's about the only one left.  I'm sure he's feeling the pressure to some degree and he also seems to be wanting to build the next stage of his career out of some joint partnership with Jenna where they make appearances, teach dance classes, etc. as a package deal.  Whether it lasts is another thing, but I suspect they will wind up engaged soon.

As for Val's type, Val's type is anyone that will gladly join up with the fam ventures re: their studios and etc. and continually build his ego.

I couldn't have said it better than spanana did. Maks is married with a kid now, all the NY fam is settling down, and Val is the only one left. Like his brother, he doesn't want to be the outcast (though in Maks's case I think it was also being the oldest) so he's taking the easy way out by going with a woman who is obsessed with him and sat around taking all his crap for years, just waiting for him to take her back. It really isn't any different than what Maks did to Peta.

Not only is Val wanting to build the next stage of his career with Jenna, but I think the same is true for Maks and Peta. Maks and Val needed to add Peta to make their show different and go on tour again. Now they need Jenna to give them a Part 3.

• Love 1

Interesting conversation about Val. I went to the Confidential tour after a friend of mine had an extra ticket up for grabs. The tour itself is filled with SUPER talented dancers, they were a pleasure to watch. 

The whole theme was telling audience "confidential" parts of their life which... couldn't have been further from the truth honestly lol. Anyone who would have gone the extra mile to buy tickets for their show would have known the information that they were sharing. For example, Maks and Peta discuss how they met and when they broke up which never include people like Karina, who I'm fairly certian was still in the picture when Peta they met, or J. Lo who Maks was rumored to be dating when they broke up before they got engaged. Their storyline also dealt a good deal with their adorable son. 

Val's section however, had everything to do with being a sort of tortured perfectionist artist. Living inside his own mind and never being good enough. His entire section never mentioned Jenna once, not even in the video transitional clips, even though I do believe it did include their dog lol. 

As far as Val's type, he always seemed pretty into black girls to be honest lol. That whole thing with Amber Rose did not surprise one little bit. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, PTVjones said:

Interesting conversation about Val. I went to the Confidential tour after a friend of mine had an extra ticket up for grabs. The tour itself is filled with SUPER talented dancers, they were a pleasure to watch. 

The whole theme was telling audience "confidential" parts of their life which... couldn't have been further from the truth honestly lol. Anyone who would have gone the extra mile to buy tickets for their show would have known the information that they were sharing. For example, Maks and Peta discuss how they met and when they broke up which never include people like Karina, who I'm fairly certian was still in the picture when Peta they met, or J. Lo who Maks was rumored to be dating when they broke up before they got engaged. Their storyline also dealt a good deal with their adorable son. 

Val's section however, had everything to do with being a sort of tortured perfectionist artist. Living inside his own mind and never being good enough. His entire section never mentioned Jenna once, not even in the video transitional clips, even though I do believe it did include their dog lol. 

As far as Val's type, he always seemed pretty into black girls to be honest lol. That whole thing with Amber Rose did not surprise one little bit. 

I saw Our Way but I refused to go see this tour and spend money to see them spew a bunch of crap. From what I read about the show, that's exactly what they did.

I still think they left Val's "next chapter" blank so that Jenna could join them next time for Part 3. Otherwise I don't know how they'd sell tickets to the tour. I understand a lot of the theaters were less than half full, with people being moved down to better seats because they were closing parts of the theater due to lack of ticket sales. By the next run, I can't imagine anyone but their die-hard fans will be attending.  I also heard there wasn't a whole lot of ballroom dancing, which many of the more casual fans who went seemed to really resent. The word "narcissistic" was used a lot to describe the show.

Like Maks, I think Val would have preferred to be with someone more "A" list, which I guess Amber is compared to Jenna. I guess in lieu of that, a "D" list dancer will do for both brothers! It certainly gets them more tabloid coverage than a regular girl from Brooklyn!

Edited by Toonces464

The version of their “love story” that Peta and Maks sold on the tour was laughable in its dishonesty as any longtime fan of Maks or Peta would recognize.

I am not sure what will happen with Jenna and Val though I suspect it ends with her getting hurt again - hopefully not by finding out he was trading Instagram DMs with Instagram models which is how I think things fell apart for them once before. Classy. Anyway I will give Jenna and Val some credit for at least doing some regular couple things, unlike Peta and Maks. Val and Jenna have at least taken a couple of trips together and go on dates just the two of them. Peta and Maks will be married a year in another couple of months and they’ve never been anywhere just the two of them. Will they ever take a honeymoon? 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, PTVjones said:

Well I thought the same thing. He totally seems into black women, and I'm surprised he didn't try to date Normani. Maybe she was smart enough to avoid him. Jenna is about as white as you can get and totally doesn't seem his type. I'm surprised he dumped Amber, or maybe she dumped him.

I guess the C brothers didn't get the memo that no one cares about their romances with Peta/Jenna except a couple of lonely shippers. I don't see a relationship with Jenna generating any real interest in their tour. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Anyway I will give Jenna and Val some credit for at least doing some regular couple things, unlike Peta and Maks. Val and Jenna have at least taken a couple of trips together and go on dates just the two of them. Peta and Maks will be married a year in another couple of months and they’ve never been anywhere just the two of them. Will they ever take a honeymoon? 

It's not a vacation for Peta and Maks unless there are 37 family members along for the ride. Or at least Yaron, who seems to take up the slack as Maks's +1 any time Peta can't be glued to his side.

5 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I guess the C brothers didn't get the memo that no one cares about their romances with Peta/Jenna except a couple of lonely shippers. I don't see a relationship with Jenna generating any real interest in their tour. 

I think it will generate interest from the Valenna shippers, while turning off the ones (which I think are many) who wanted to see him with Normani, Zendaya, Janel, etc. Peta's fans, who seem to have an average age of about 15, will totally be on board for it. I don't think Maks has too many of his own fans left. There used to be a group of die-hards on Twitter who for years followed his every move and thought he hung the stars and moon.....but there aren't too many of those left and the few who are don't peek out of the shadows much.

It's kind of funny because Derek has done the same thing as Maks and Val in settling for a relatively unknown dancer. It just doesn't read the same way to me because a) Derek didn't dump her then make a big splash in the tabloids by "dating" a bigger name celeb; and b) try to make a tabloid career out of their relationship. P

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Toonces464 said:

It's kind of funny because Derek has done the same thing as Maks and Val in settling for a relatively unknown dancer. It just doesn't read the same way to me because a) Derek didn't dump her then make a big splash in the tabloids by "dating" a bigger name celeb; and b) try to make a tabloid career out of their relationship. P

Derek and Julianne are more famous than the C brothers, though. They are the only ones from dwts who actually did make a name for themselves out of the show. Isn't he dating that Hayley girl from the troupe? She certainly is pretty, and she is a good dancer. I'd like to see her get a shot next season.

so he's taking the easy way out by going with a woman who is obsessed with him and sat around taking all his crap for years, just waiting for him to take her back. It really isn't any different than what Maks did to Peta.

Sure makes you wonder about their Mum and DAd's marriage, eh?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Sure makes you wonder about their Mum and DAd's marriage, eh?

Oh, I've long had an opinion on that LOL

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Derek and Julianne are more famous than the C brothers, though. They are the only ones from dwts who actually did make a name for themselves out of the show. Isn't he dating that Hayley girl from the troupe? She certainly is pretty, and she is a good dancer. I'd like to see her get a shot next season.

Yes. The story goes that she was part of the Move tour and once she started dating Derek, she got a shot at troupe on DWTS.

(edited)

The reason why IMO an Amber type situation wouldn't work out long term with Val is because I also think Val's ego dictates he needs to be the more famous one in the relationship.  Jenna is now starting to get more press obviously on her own, but she's generally the one that career wise has taken a backseat to him.  She's famous enough that she's known enough and has fans that will idolize her and their relationship, but not famous enough where she will steal his shine.  See how most early interviews even this season were about Val Chemerkovskiy's girlfriend and not specifically about Jenna.  In interviews, they wanted to ask Jenna about him.  Misogyny at its finest to some degree, but you get the point.

I think with someone like Amber, Amber is always going to get the attention.  Whether you like her or not, she draws attention on her own and I don't see her being the person to take up the typical fam duties of schilling for their dance studios and stamping her name on ugly t-shirts to help keep the family relevant. Her endeavors are her endeavors.  Whereas I think someone like Jenna is is ambitious, but a lot of her own ambition is wrapped up in the family.  She will gladly make joint appearances with Val, teach dance classes together, put her name on tacky shirts, attend Dance with Me openings etc, tour with them, etc.  She will gladly pump up his ego to make him feel important, while probably still taking backseat to him.  Even on SYTYCD, she dragged him along to choreograph and make sure he got attention as well.

To me what will be interesting is if Jenna wises up and outgrows this need to make herself take a backseat to her man, especially as she starts to get accolades on her own and becomes more of a known face on her own.  She's young that it's possible she will decide she wants more.  I'm also interested to see if Val grows restless if Jenna gets too famous on her own without him.  Not that I think she's ever going to be an A-list star, so I don't mean it that way...but how does Val feel about being on equal footing famewise with someone he is dating?

Also personally I think Val doesn't want to be with anyone that challenges him intellectually. He has always claimed that he does.  But he seems to like to be the only voice in the room and he likes to preach to people, and when anyone challenges what he preaches, he shuts down.  At least that has always been his MO on social media.   He will pick a subject to preach over--like nutrition and peoples access to healthy food---and he will go on and on about how he was so poor growing up and his mother grew food and cooked for him and so anyone can do it and blah blah blah.  But if anyone tries to talk to him about how expensive it is to buy healthy food (over fast food) and how most families can't afford to have a stay at home parent (as he did) to cook and in many cases people have parents who are working 2 or 3 jobs just to put food on the table, he shuts down and starts calling people names.  He needs to preach, and he needs to be right.  That is why I wasn't a huge fan of his partnership with Laurie even though most found it adorable.  Because the thought of that man preaching his views on an impressionable 16 year old with limited world experience scared me.  At least with Zendaya, I trusted that she was getting info elsewhere and wasn't relying on Val for that sort of mentorship.  And IMO it's no coincidence that the latter has distanced herself from him as she's grown up and expanded her own knowledge and horizons.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

That's true that Amber probably wouldn't shill for the fam, and besides, she's a feminist who probably wouldn't put up with their sexist shit. I don't really have anything against Jenna or Peta. I like them on dwts, and they have talent on their own without having to do everything for their men. I feel sort of sorry for them, having to put up with Maks and Val. But then again, that's their choice, I guess.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spanana said:

I think with someone like Amber, Amber is always going to get the attention.  Whether you like her or not, she draws attention on her own and I don't see her being the person to take up the typical fam duties of schilling for their dance studios and stamping her name on ugly t-shirts to help keep the family relevant.

Don't forget letting Nicole Volynets style her!

3 hours ago, spanana said:

And IMO it's no coincidence that the latter has distanced herself from him as she's grown up and expanded her own knowledge and horizons.

I noticed Zendaya doesn't seem so family oriented anymore. One thing I will give Val credit for is that he seems to maintain pretty good relationships with most of his partners after their seasons end (unlike Maks, who doesn't seem to have relationships with any of his former partners except Erin) but I've also noticed Rumer Willis seems to have backed away from them as well, other than her guest appearance as one of Peta's bridesmaids.

1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

Don't forget letting Nicole Volynets style her!

I noticed Zendaya doesn't seem so family oriented anymore. One thing I will give Val credit for is that he seems to maintain pretty good relationships with most of his partners after their seasons end (unlike Maks, who doesn't seem to have relationships with any of his former partners except Erin) but I've also noticed Rumer Willis seems to have backed away from them as well, other than her guest appearance as one of Peta's bridesmaids.

Val does better than Maks at keeping up his connections with past celebs, but they do tend to move on eventually.  Which is probably normal to an extent.  Rumer was for a time much closer to Peta and the rest of the fam than she was to Val and there was a whole tabloid thing not too long ago about how she was removing some of there tats, including her DWTS one. Not that that necessarily has to do with Val.  Also in terms of gossip and wondering what went on back then, back when Rumer/Val were first paired, Jenna was all over her trying to be her bestie (culminating in that awful jazz number) and then part way through the season she started pretending Rumer didn't exist and they had like no contact whatsoever.  I always wondered what that was about.

Zendaya has definitely separated herself, but if I had to guess I think it's also partly a function of seeing the never ending idiotic political and social crap that Val posts online, much of which goes against her own views.  So I think as she's grown up, she's had more of a chance to see Val for who he actually is as opposed to the guy that maybe she idolized for a time at 16.  What is funny about it is when Val was promoting his book, he kept dropping Z's name as his favorite partner in almost every interview.  Despite the fact that he's clearly closer with Laurie at this point.  Zendaya ignored every single mention he made of her during his press tour.  If anything it read a little bit like now that she's started to hit it big and is making movies and such that he was using her name as a means to sell his book.  And also somewhat trying to take some responsibility for her success? I can only guess by her non reaction, and even her mom's non reaction, she was less than thrilled.

There there were partners like Liz Berkeley and Danica that Val basically ignored even when he was partners with them.  But anybody is better at keeping relationships with his partners than Maks.

(edited)

I mean I don't know... She did a private screening at her home for her recent movie The Greatest Showman and he was definitely there, I saw pictures. Zendaya is fairly private person I've found, I remember reading that she had broken up with a boyfriend and I was like... Zendaya was dating someone???

Maks was also in one of Zendaya's music videos that came out ... 2 years ago maybe?

Zendaya is a big time star now. There's no reason why she has to mention a friendship that she forged 5 years ago but I think they are still fairly good friends. 

Edited by PTVjones
typo!
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PTVjones said:

I mean I don't know... She did a private screening at her home for her recent movie The Greatest Showman and he was definitely there, I saw pictures. Zendaya is fairly private person I've found, I remember reading that she had broken up with a boyfriend and I was like... Zendaya was dating someone???

Maks was also in one of Zendaya's music videos that came out ... 2 years ago maybe?

Zendaya is a big time star now. There's no reason why she has to mention a friendship that she forged 5 years ago but I think they are still fairly good friends. 

She didn’t host a private screening at her home. She hosted a private screening for family and friends publicly, which Val did attend with one of the DWTS producers and that is about the one and only contact between the two in months.  Also if you read the chapter he wrote about her in his book, it was weird and sort of dismissive of her so I can’t see her being too thrilled about that.  Stuff about how he taught her work ethic and she was just a distracted kid  obsessed with her boyfriend when they met.  For someone that was supposedly his fave as kept saying on the book tour, the chapter wasn’t super flattering.

Also yes, she’s private but if you read between the lines she’s fairly easy to figure out.  The public didn’t know she was dating anyone but her fans fully knew.  Well and Val outed her in his book.  Kid was front and center at every DWTS show and they were always together. 

4 hours ago, spanana said:

Also in terms of gossip and wondering what went on back then, back when Rumer/Val were first paired, Jenna was all over her trying to be her bestie (culminating in that awful jazz number) and then part way through the season she started pretending Rumer didn't exist and they had like no contact whatsoever.  I always wondered what that was about.

I always wondered about the strange friendship Jenna struck up with Meryl that resulted in them going to Hawaii together after Season 18. It was like Jenna bought into the showmance and thought that by hooking herself to Meryl she'd get her foot in the door with Val. I never understood why Meryl went along with it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, spanana said:

She didn’t host a private screening at her home. She hosted a private screening for family and friends publicly, which Val did attend with one of the DWTS producers and that is about the one and only contact between the two in months.  Also if you read the chapter he wrote about her in his book, it was weird and sort of dismissive of her so I can’t see her being too thrilled about that.  Stuff about how he taught her work ethic and she was just a distracted kid  obsessed with her boyfriend when they met.  For someone that was supposedly his fave as kept saying on the book tour, the chapter wasn’t super flattering.

Also yes, she’s private but if you read between the lines she’s fairly easy to figure out.  The public didn’t know she was dating anyone but her fans fully knew.  Well and Val outed her in his book.  Kid was front and center at every DWTS show and they were always together. 

Val and Zendaya have not seen each other for months? They busy people who live on opposite coasts. Seems normal to me for a non-romantic friendship. 

As for all this speculation on Maks and Peta, Val and Jenna, it is speculation. Mean-spirited speculation at that. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, spanana said:

There there were partners like Liz Berkeley and Danica that Val basically ignored even when he was partners with them.  But anybody is better at keeping relationships with his partners than Maks.

I wonder whatever happen between maks and mel b. They were super close during and after their season. He would always spend thanksgiving at her Home. I know Maks would always drop her name when it came to his fav dwts partner until meryl came into the picture. I actually think mel b was maks best partnership even tho they didnt win. I didnt like him with meryl because he was fake that season.

I think the reason Zendaya and Val may not interact that much anymore or keep it on a minimal is because people were actually shipping back when she was 16 yrs old and up till she was grown. It was very awkward situation. I read somewhere she felt awkward about it and so did her parents and that me be why they cut ties. I do have to admit that V and Z did spent way too much together for the average grown man and child they were. I think V was 26 at the time to Z 16 and they would be everywhere together and im not even talking about tour. I guess I just dont think its cool  someone fully grown to be hanging around a kid like that. I mean even Laurie didnt get that treatment from V and seems pretty close to her, I guess he learned from Zendaya that could become creepy.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I wonder whatever happen between maks and mel b. They were super close during and after their season. He would always spend thanksgiving at her Home. I know Maks would always drop her name when it came to his fav dwts partner until meryl came into the picture. I actually think mel b was maks best partnership even tho they didnt win. I didnt like him with meryl because he was fake that season.

As with most of what spews out of Maks's mouth, I think the whole Thanksgiving thing was an exaggeration of something that happened once or twice, and then he made it sound like it was a regular thing. 

Over the years, Maks has used some form or combination of Mel/Erin/Kirstie/Meryl as his favorite partner, depending on which way the wind is blowing that week. Obviously Kirstie is no longer part of the conversation and I haven't heard him mention Mel in years. Now he seems to mainly stick to Erin and Meryl, and usually peppers in one of the more recent partners for good measure.

6 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I thought things kind of got weird with them after the All Star season. If I remember correctly Mel B mentioned more than once that she was interested in doing it as Maks’ partner but then they brought Kirstie back to pair with him instead. That was likely a producer decision and not a Maks decision but I didn’t notice much interaction between them after that. 

2 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I thought things kind of got weird with them after the All Star season. If I remember correctly Mel B mentioned more than once that she was interested in doing it as Maks’ partner but then they brought Kirstie back to pair with him instead. That was likely a producer decision and not a Maks decision but I didn’t notice much interaction between them after that. 

I remember Maks being at some charity event with her and her husband after that, but nothing since. I've wondered if he distanced himself because of all the crap around her and her marriage issues. Sounds like a real freaky situation with those two.

1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I thought I saw something about the producers asked Mel to do it but she couldn't because of a conflict??? I can't really remember for sure now. I actually think she even tweeted at Maks when they announced the All-Star season to get ready or something along those lines. I think with a lot of DWTS partnerships it just naturally fizzled out. Their season was over 10 years ago at this point. People just get busy with their own lives. I'm sure they are fine with another...they just don't make the time/effort to see one another.

• Love 1

Yes, fans inappropriately shipped Val and Zendaya for years so I get that it was weird, but as they were still hanging out until she was about 18-19, I kind of doubt that is what caused them to part ways.  By the time they did, she was an adult and now she's with Spiderman. But that is beside the point.  All I'm saying is read the chapter Val wrote in his book about her and it is very dismissive and a lot more condescending than one would expect for the relationship they claimed to have at one time and for Val to be name dropping her in interviews.  He talks about how she wasn't focused, didn't have the work ethic, didn't have commitment to him at first, was too obsessed with her boyfriend, even how her parents were kind of rude to him at first, etc.  The gist seemed to be that he taught her all of those things.  It certainly is not going to damage her career, but it wasn't an overly flattering picture.  So when almost all of Val's other partners at least took a few seconds to plug his book here and there (except Janel of course), and Z didn't...I don't entirely think it was a coincidence. I'm sure she got the chance to read what he wrote about her ahead of time.  He also pissed off most of her fans, though that is par for the course with Val.  Janel's fans of course hate him, especially after what he said in his book and Normani's fans generally can't stand him either.  So he may keep relationships with his former partners potentially, but he almost always alienates the various fan groups.  And yes, most of the fan groups didn't buy his book but just managed to get a hold of the sections he wrote about his more popular partners.

But hey, nothing is worse than him admitting he used and manipulated Janel for sake of a showmance without giving her a heads up it wasn't real...what a catch. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, spanana said:

Yes, fans inappropriately shipped Val and Zendaya for years so I get that it was weird, but as they were still hanging out until she was about 18-19, I kind of doubt that is what caused them to part ways.  By the time they did, she was an adult and now she's with Spiderman. But that is beside the point.  All I'm saying is read the chapter Val wrote in his book about her and it is very dismissive and a lot more condescending than one would expect for the relationship they claimed to have at one time and for Val to be name dropping her in interviews.  He talks about how she wasn't focused, didn't have the work ethic, didn't have commitment to him at first, was too obsessed with her boyfriend, even how her parents were kind of rude to him at first, etc.  The gist seemed to be that he taught her all of those things.  It certainly is not going to damage her career, but it wasn't an overly flattering picture.  So when almost all of Val's other partners at least took a few seconds to plug his book here and there (except Janel of course), and Z didn't...I don't entirely think it was a coincidence. I'm sure she got the chance to read what he wrote about her ahead of time.  He also pissed off most of her fans, though that is par for the course with Val.  Janel's fans of course hate him, especially after what he said in his book and Normani's fans generally can't stand him either.  So he may keep relationships with his former partners potentially, but he almost always alienates the various fan groups.  And yes, most of the fan groups didn't buy his book but just managed to get a hold of the sections he wrote about his more popular partners.

But hey, nothing is worse than him admitting he used and manipulated Janel for sake of a showmance without giving her a heads up it wasn't real...what a catch. 

I think the Chmerkovskiys have relied way too much on showmance to advance them and their careers, and are now using their relationships with other dancers from the show for the same reason. Maks and Meryl didn't need a showmance to win. I still don't get why Meryl went along with it and frankly that really killed any respect I ever had for her. And there was nothing grosser than the whole Maks/Kirstie thing, even more so when she started pulling it with Teddy and Serge after the season was over. 

People shipped Maks and Kirstie? Oh, how gross.

Why are Normani's fans pissed at Val? Did he do something to her? I hadn't heard.

As for Zendaya, she's a FAR bigger star than Val these days. She has no need to mention him at all.

• Love 1
Just now, Toonces464 said:

Maks and Meryl didn't need a showmance to win. I still don't get why Meryl went along with it and frankly that really killed any respect I ever had for her.

This. Definitely a pairing that didn't need a showmance but I always felt that it was a testament to how little confidence Maks had in his own abilities that even with someone as talented as Meryl, he felt he still needed to go there to secure the win. I cracked up when reading the figure skating thread for this year's Winter Olympics and someone shaded Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for playing up a false romance to win and praising Charlie and Meryl for never doing so, only for someone to say that if Tessa and Scott are faking anything, at least it's for an Olympic Gold Medal, versus Meryl doing all that for a tacky mirrorball trophy on a cheesy reality show. 

Maks need to always go the romance angle is probably what's also screwed up opportunities for him. See J-Lo. His D-List publicist was so quick to attach his name to hers and try and sell some romance. And in the end, Derek is the one who ended up getting the gig for her dance show that's actually pretty successful on NBC. 

12 minutes ago, spanana said:

He talks about how she wasn't focused, didn't have the work ethic, didn't have commitment to him at first, was too obsessed with her boyfriend, even how her parents were kind of rude to him at first, etc. 

Wow, he actually said these things? I thought for sure Val would make sure he never screwed up that connection because it's clear that Zendaya is going places. She might be at this point the celebrity who most blew up in her career, from when she first appeared on the show. So interesting that Val would risk jeopardizing that connection. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Maks need to always go the romance angle is probably what's also screwed up opportunities for him. See J-Lo. His D-List publicist was so quick to attach his name to hers and try and sell some romance. And in the end, Derek is the one who ended up getting the gig for her dance show that's actually pretty successful on NBC. 

I've said the same exact thing. Maks is the one who got the work with JLo dancing with her at the AMAs a few years ago, but when it came to the big gig with WoD, it went to Derek. Meanwhile the whole publicity stunt "romance" was as fake as the one he had with Kate Upton when she was selling her movie. 

Do you remember a few years back when he was being linked to Madonna? He shot that rumor down a few hours after it started. Meanwhile he played the KU stunt full force and never denied the JLo stunt. It seems Maks hasn't gotten any smarter the longer he's been in Hollywood. Quite the opposite.

8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wow, he actually said these things? I thought for sure Val would make sure he never screwed up that connection because it's clear that Zendaya is going places. She might be at this point the celebrity who most blew up in her career, from when she first appeared on the show. So interesting that Val would risk jeopardizing that connection. 

Yes, Zendaya is the only star to blow up from the show and normani is going to be next. Both talented young women

Yea, Mel B did an interview the day of the All Star announcement (some morning show), they asked her and she said she was approached for the All Star season, but she had just signed her contract for X Factor Australia.

I'm sad cause we could've had her and Maks for the whole season instead of Kirstie trotting along for 7 weeks.

Does anyone know what Val says about Janel in his book. That whole partnership was weird with how it ended so abruptly. They were supposed to do the tour and and they stopped that and stopped talking and following each other. I don't wanna buy the book, but does anyone know?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Yea, Mel B did an interview the day of the All Star announcement (some morning show), they asked her and she said she was approached for the All Star season, but she had just signed her contract for X Factor Australia.

I'm sad cause we could've had her and Maks for the whole season instead of Kirstie trotting along for 7 weeks.

Does anyone know what Val says about Janel in his book. That whole partnership was weird with how it ended so abruptly. They were supposed to do the tour and and they stopped that and stopped talking and following each other. I don't wanna buy the book, but does anyone know?

I haven't read the book so someone who has can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he admitted he played a showmance with her for votes without telling her, even when she started thinking the relationship was for real.

8 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I haven't read the book so someone who has can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he admitted he played a showmance with her for votes without telling her, even when she started thinking the relationship was for real.

I was no fan of Janel (at all) and found the whole Janelskiy thing nauseating but to be fair to Janel whatever Val says in the book there was some “realness” to the relationship. He may have been playing it for a showmance but he also got some real action out of it since he posted a photo of himself shirtless in her bed at least once. I think he was just a dog to her which is gross. She was dumb to fall for his BS but he was gross to lead her on. When the season ended and they flew to GMA she spent the day with him and the fam eating pizza in NY and posting about how it was the perfect day. He put her back on a plane to LA that night and within a short amount of time the two of them were subtweeting their drama all over Twitter. Once the show was over, her value to him was gone and he was an ass about it. Cold, Val, cold. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I was no fan of Janel (at all) and found the whole Janelskiy thing nauseating but to be fair to Janel whatever Val says in the book there was some “realness” to the relationship. He may have been playing it for a showmance but he also got some real action out of it since he posted a photo of himself shirtless in her bed at least once. I think he was just a dog to her which is gross. She was dumb to fall for his BS but he was gross to lead her on. When the season ended and they flew to GMA she spent the day with him and the fam eating pizza in NY and posting about how it was the perfect day. He put her back on a plane to LA that night and within a short amount of time the two of them were subtweeting their drama all over Twitter. Once the show was over, her value to him was gone and he was an ass about it. Cold, Val, cold. 

I hated that partnership so I didn't pay much attention to it...but yeah, I laugh at the morals and values these two brothers claim to have. Their father taught them well.

• Love 1

I also was not a fan of Janel and Val, not because of Janel as a person but about 99% on time on DWTS producers don't even need a reason to insinuate a showmance (i.e. Josh calling Sharna attractive) in order for them to put the idea in their pre-performance package. So for them it was really shoved down our throat and it was just WAY too much. I also think he got Janel right after his season Zendaya. I felt like he was waiting for a showmance after his reason with Kelly M. and if Zendaya was of-age at the time he would have tried that route with her. However she wasn't, so he did with Janel and Rumer. Even though his feelings, whatever they were, for Rumer always seemed a bit more genuine than they were for Janel. 

There are a lot of reports online that Val will be proposing soon so if that's the case then congrats to them. Not a shipper but been a Val fan for a long time so if that's where his life is going then good for the both of them. All the stuff from prior seasons, I think all of this is Val just being ya know... a typical dude who's dating his options lol. It's just unfortunate for him is that there's a public that can judge him for it. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PTVjones said:

There are a lot of reports online that Val will be proposing soon so if that's the case then congrats to them. Not a shipper but been a Val fan for a long time so if that's where his life is going then good for the both of them. All the stuff from prior seasons, I think all of this is Val just being ya know... a typical dude who's dating his options lol. It's just unfortunate for him is that there's a public that can judge him for it. 

See, I have a problem with this, when people talk about the public judging someone famous. If they didn't want to be judged, they could keep their private life private. Lots of celebs do. When you put it out there, you're opening the door for the public to speculate and comment. Especially someone like Val, who at times seems to put stuff out there specifically to egg people on.

• Love 1

Val and Maks and the Houghs all come across as d-bags, so they have no one but themselves to blame for the public judging them. Maybe they are sweet as pie and fans have said all of them were nice when they met them, but if they want people to think they are a gentleman than act like one in public.

• Love 3
(edited)

So Val and Jenna are engaged? I saw it on Sharna's insta story, but Jenna posted it on Instagram herself. I thought the news fit here.

But Sharna's well wishes was posted at an inopportune time on her insta story, given her previous slide. Oops.

D234D168-A328-4744-A2DD-7F93F2DD7F7C.jpeg

Slide 2.

3D8309C3-FBE8-4EA6-9B4F-DB46953FC722.jpeg

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

Why do I have feeling they have been engaged for sometime now and just now allowing the public in. I mean JJ was seen liking wedding ideas months ago on ista, I mean i know that can mean nothing but it makes u go hmmm. I think he had already proposed.

I do wish the best for Val and Jenna, but the C boys have a pattern. Meet a woman, date the woman, dump the woman, go through a bunch of other women, reunite with woman, get engaged. At least, this doesn't have a pregnancy involved yet. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I do wish the best for Val and Jenna, but the C boys have a pattern. Meet a woman, date the woman, dump the woman, go through a bunch of other women, reunite with woman, get engaged. At least, this doesn't have a pregnancy involved yet. 

I think they call it settling when you can't find anything better.

• Love 2